unknown

asked Jun 19, 2010 at 8:58pm
Epson Epson Stylus Pro 7600

Epson 7600

I am trying everything that I can think of to fix an epson 7600 printer...

The Magenta ink will simply not print while running the cleaning, and print tests.

Repeated, and repeated, and repeated cleanings using epson cleaner..including using syringe to push cleaner into ink supply nib.

The head is clean, clean..perfect on visual inspection, and yet..alas no print magenta test pattern..

Am frustrated to da max....

Need help big time....

Thank you in advance...

Randy
An update:

After verifying that the printer head, and the feed tube are indeed able to push the magenta ink out(they both appear to be free flowing with no clogs), I am now thinking that there is the possibility?? that the new Magenta cartridge that I just installed is faulty or dry??

How can one tell??

Or is there some way to test the new cartridge to see if is indeed full??

Thank you again, in advance..

Best,

Randy

by unknown on Jun 22, 2010 at 11:45pm Add comment
It could be the damper or the seal is bad. Or there could be a clog on the face of the print head.

Try putting some warm water on the cap assembly and let the print head sit for a half an hour then run a cleaning cycle and see if that helps.

It could be a more complex problem but give that a try first.
by unknown on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:54am Add comment
Test the weight against another cartridge.If a used one weights more than the new one then you know. If they are close then it may be something else.

Shaking the cartridges sometimes is a indication of ink or no ink.
by unknown on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:00am Add comment
Thanks for that info..

I will try to weigh them, and see if that gives me a clue??

Thank You, Thank You!!

Frustrating printer snafu.......I just need to get one of the colors printing, and I'll be good to go..

Thanks,

Randy

by unknown on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:58am Add comment
At my wit's end...

Is there any way to check to see if the vacuum pump is working?

And does anyone know if it is possible that there is a vacuum tube for each color?
I.E. is it possible that only one color's vacuum assist could be blocked??

Have visually verified that the supply tubes, and head are indeed "free" and transferring ink, but the magenta printout is spotty to non-existent as if no ink is being pulled to the head?

Thanks tonz!!

Appreciate any, and all help, tips, everything..

Randy
by randy brandon on Jun 23, 2010 at 1:57pm Add comment
Same advice as before Try putting some warm water on the cap assembly then run a cleaning cycle if the water is still there then there is a pump or purge tube problem.
by unknown on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:14pm Add comment
hi there where is the cap assembly also do you know how i can get to the head to unclog the black
many thanks now - simmy321
Wes,

Thanks for that info..

I did what you suggested, and the vacuum pump seems to be working..

I had spotted a bubble in the Magenta ink line, and none of the standard cleaning routines would make it move??

So I figured out how to make the machine do a super-dooper head cleaning from the advanced controls on the machine. When I did this, the bubble in the Magenta line actually moved??
So I can now confirm that the Magenta ink is moving through the supply line.

And that is good news !

But then...my Light Cyan cartridge ran out, and I could do no additional test prints until I order some additional cartridges.

So, for now, I am going to wait until I can get some additional cartridges, and then power clean it again, and hope?? that the Magenta printouts are getting better?

Thanks a ton for your great suggestions...I really do appreciate your help....they give me hope that I can indeed get this printer fixed, and make some prints!!
Best,

Randy
by randy brandon on Jun 24, 2010 at 3:00am Add comment
You have a badly clogged head as I did. Power cleaning will not clear a the nozzles that have dried ink in them. In the future you must make a print every other day or so and do a nozzle check/cleaning once a week or more to confirm all nozzles are clear.
Furthermore, unless you have been using third party ink without doing an appropriate cleaning during your change of ink brands, you should not have to clean the dampers. What needs to happen is the dried ink must be dissolved in place so it can be pushed/sucked out of the microscopic head nozzles. You can help it dissolve by doing the following:
1. Turn machine off and unplug. Open your carriage cover and press the cutter lever on the head which should be parked on the right side of the carriage. This should allow the head to travel easily to the left.
2. Get a piece of cotton cloth like an old white tee shirt and cut it to approximately 3"x6" and fold in half so it is 3x3 and soak it with Windex.
3. Using a light, find the head cover/ink pad which is the ink-soaked pad on the far right with the rubber seal around it and it is usually multi-colored from ink cleanings.(Do not confuse this with the expelling port which also has ink in it but is to the left of the head cover.)
4. Place the Windex soaked cloth over the ink pad as carefully as possible and return head to parked position. (Head should now be "locked" in position)
5. Allow to sit for 24 HOURS and "wick" into the microscopic nozzles and dissolve the polymers which have hardened and are clogging your nozzles.
6. Do a power cleaning and nozzle check and repeat as needed.
Let me know how it goes.
-Harry
by harryusa on Jun 25, 2010 at 10:45am Add comment
Harry,
First of all, thank you so much for your response!

I will try again the overnight soaking method you described, and see how it goes.
Am currently waiting for some additional inks before I proceed.

Question: Not screwing up the printhead is way, way important...and I have been using the Epson cleaner that I purchased from the Fixyourownprinter site. And I have heard that windex will work, but can also damage the printhead??

Just trying to be conservative in my repairs....

And I have visually checked, and verified that the face of the printhead is clean, and have also visually verified that the Magenta(my problem color) is actually discharging ink(as bubbles) onto the printhead itself. But even after that, I could not get the Magenta printout pattern to show anything but a spotty few lines on the test pattern?

This printer was owned by a client that barely used it every 6 or 8 months, and never cleaned it or replaced any cartridges ever...so it was a really, really neglected printer to say the least...

Thanks again, and will let you know how it goes.. really appreciate your help!

Randy - randy brandon
The clean condition of the print head face is irrelevant. It is the condition of the nozzles which is critical, they are almost as small in diameter as a human hair! Regarding Windex, it hasn't harmed mine and I've run it through all the tubes and dampers too. It is amazing to see the ink melt. I bought a new print head before trying what I described above and now I have a spare 7600 head if anyone wants to buy one at a discount. When you get it clean- use it- a lot! The thing about cleaning solutions that go through the machine is they actually have to make it to the clog to do anything. Spraying it out one nozzle doesn't help the adjacent clogged nozzle one bit! This is why they employ a vacuum when cleaning, but ink doesn't have enough solvent power to clean bad clogs and cleaning fluid is only effective if it can get to the clog. You can test for vacuum if you have the right side body cover off by pulling the tube off the little round pump with the vacuum tubes going to it and pull a tube and see if the pump sucks water/Windex. One other thing to make sure of is that there is a clean seal between the head and the head cap, no seal=no suction=poor head cleaning.
Let me know how it goes.
-Harry
by harryusa on Jun 25, 2010 at 1:36pm Add comment
Harry,

Just wanted to let you know that I have finally fixed my 7600!!

After almost total disassembly of the Ink delivery system, I was able to diagnose that the only problem was that a long, jellied, clot of ink, about 5 inches long, had lodged somewhere in the magenta tubing, and was never noticed because it was also made of magenta ink.

Removing both ends of the clear tubing, and applying air pressure carefully, I was able to push out the clot, and finally clear the line.

None of my problems were related to a head clog, nor bad ink cartridges.....!

At any rate, My printer is back together, and working.

But thanks a ton to you for helping me through some of the repair problems..
I really apprecciate it!

Best,

Randy - randy brandon
I have an epson 7600 that prints good nozzle checks, but prints everything either shifted completely to cyan or with a magenta cast.

I am printing with qualified profiles for my media through either ps CS5 or Qimage....

Any thoughts?

What could be wrong, and is it worth trying to fix it?

Thanks - unknown
Harry,

Just wanted to get back to you about my head cleaning woes, and how it was going.

I finally got some additional inks, and proceeded to soaking the Pad & Head with windex for 24 hours. I got a lot of gunk(ink) on my cleaning rag.

i then ran several deep cleaning cycles, and finally several nozzle checks.

all of the inks print fine..except for the Magenta, the same exact one that I have never, ever got to print out a full pattern, even once!!

I am soaking it yet again overnight with a heavily soaked t-shirt patch, and will try again tomorrow.

I remain hopeful, yet doubtful as to if anything will repair this clog?

Is there such a thing as a clogged head that cannot be unclogged??

Do you know what it takes to replace the 7600 head?? Can it be done by anybody who is fairly technically proficient?? or must it be done by an Epson service bureau??

I live in Alaska, so I would have to throw the entire unit out before I could afford to have it shipped out & back?

Am getting to my wits end, and any help will be muchly appreciated..
Thanks,

Randy
by randy brandon on Jul 3, 2010 at 12:39am Add comment
Charles,

Well, if the nozzle checks are fine, then not sure of what could be the next steps to take?

Have you attempted to use the power cleaning feature direct on the printer?

And if so, you might want to try to open the front plastic door(and put a stick or something??) into the open door switch so that you can observe the inks moving through the delivery tubes while it's printing.

It sound like possibly you have the same problems that I had with an invisible "clot" of semi-dry ink in the tubes?? Except that mine would not print a good test pattern.

You might also try to make up your own test pattern with numerous color blocks, and give it a neutral gray patch as well??

Also be very, very sure that you are doing all of the controls precisely, and that you don't have the soft proofing turned on in Photoshop, as that can sometimes screw you up??
Hope this helps!

Clicks,

Randy

by randy brandon on Oct 1, 2010 at 11:52pm Add comment
Yeah, we're an art reproduction and portrait studio here in Virginia...and we've been doing this for the past 9 years hah! I figure we haven't missed anything software wise...

Unfortunately it prints beautiful nozzle checks and we've tried printing known images and test patterns, all with magenta results...

I have a feeling its a hardware issue, like the mainboard not calculating the colors properly...

Charles
by unknown on Oct 2, 2010 at 8:53am Add comment
Charles,

Have you used the UNI-D, along with the BI-D alignment procedure to align the print heads??

And also, if you have been printing traditionally using a single computer to print to the printer...just try another one. Switch to a Mac, or switch to a PC..just to make damn sure that it ain't the computer that's causing the glitch??
by randy brandon on Oct 2, 2010 at 12:27pm Add comment
Haven't done an alignment yet....will do tomorrow morning.

I have tried the other computer route to eliminate our print server machine as the issue...even tried from my mac laptop (were mostly pc's) and same results...

Thanks for the help guys! I totally didn't expect any responses.

Will advise as to how this works after alignment...

Charles
by unknown on Oct 2, 2010 at 8:32pm Add comment
Charles,
Here is something right out of the service manual...hope it helps!

Clicks,

Randy

If the trouble occurs with a specific ink color:
• Abnormal connections between the ink cartridge, ink holder, tube, damper,
print head.
(Fastening nuts loose, or the O-ring deformed or damaged, causing ink to
leak, etc. could occur.)
• Print head failure
􀂄 If the trouble still has not been recovered from with the items up to this point,
replace the following electric system related parts and check again.
• Check the connections to the CR cable (FFC long) and if there is any damage
to it or not.
• Check the connections to the head cables (FFC short; x 2), and if there is any
damage to them or not.
• MAIN Board
by randy brandon on Oct 2, 2010 at 8:46pm Add comment
I am having a similar problem w/ my 7600. My printer has sat on and off for about 2 years. I was able to get all nozzles clean through power head cleanings w/ the exception of Magenta. The print test shows nozzle clogs and the magenta color looks more black than magenta. The cartridges are around 50\% capacity each. I am going to try the windex solution but am concerned about the magenta color looking more black or gray than magenta on the nozzle check prints. Has anyone every experienced a color shift/change from a printer sitting for a few years?

Dave
by unknown on Nov 7, 2010 at 7:57am Add comment
Dave,

If you read my previous string of repair problems you will see that I had fits just trying to diagnose the problem. But finding that "clot" of semi-jellied ink in the magenta line was the key to getting it fixed.

I purchased the service manual online, and it certainly helped me figure it all out.

But I had to pull off the top, and both side panels, then disconnect each supply line one by one to figure it out. I checked the magenta line out first, and found the clot, blew it out, and then everything worked again.

The key is to carefully disassemble each supply line, at each end, and not losing the tiny rubber 0 ring. You basically take off both ends, and put a collection rag under one end(I put the rag under the line end near the head, and then applied air pressure gently from the supply(cartridge) end.

It was a lot of work to get everything apart, but that's what it took, and I've got a great fully functional printer now!

Hope this helps.

Randy - unknown
Windex can damage the print head. Use Warm distilled water in its place. You will get better results with less risk of messing up the print head.

Yes, lots of people say use Windex but they don't care if you screw up the print head or not.
by unknown on Nov 7, 2010 at 8:47am Add comment
excuse my english, i from France.

i ve got some troubles with my Epson 7600. nozzle check prints looks fine except for Two Heads. i already try A LOT of Cleaning Cycle and a couple of Hard Cleaning Cycle (the one in the MENU edit ).
I still could see some air bubble when the front is open, dont know if it's linked or not... this machine has been moved by car without being flushed or something...
should i try something like a Refill ink cycle to try to get ride of air bubble ?

by the way, if heads are clogged i was thinking about using a product like Windex. Wes, are you talking about Warm Distilled Water ? is there any link where i can see a step by step or something...
THank you ! and again excuse my english...
by unknown on Nov 7, 2010 at 12:48pm Add comment
Yes, Use distilled water. You can warn it to help remove the clog faster. Just remove the Magenta ink cartridge and inject the distilled water. You will use a lot of water because it has to go through the tubing running to the print head.

Did you check to see if the dampers are good and working.
by unknown on Nov 7, 2010 at 11:04pm Add comment
honestly i have no idea if it's the dampers or not. how can be sure they are working ?
this machine has been checked last year by epson.
the last owner was using it to print in black mainly for screenprinting films.
colors is needed right now since i m doing a lot of graphikdesign.
i will try to put some warm water, this sounds freaky ! but hope it works.
when i run a nozzle check, i ve got some Magenta but this is a lot of lack and this is blurry...

thanx
by unknown on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:30am Add comment
Randy, i really hope i will succeed in fixing my printer the way you have fixed yours.anyway...

i dont know if i can share this overthere but if it's not really appropriate, feel free to remove my post.

i found the Manual Service for free on internet and it looks really complete and helpfull...

here we go...
http://www.americaninkjetsystems.com/epson_7600_9600_repair.html

by unknown on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:28am Add comment
Romain,

Hey thanks for that link..I'll give it a try!

Just for ref: I originally used the Epson cleaning fluid for my print head, and then eventually used some Windex, and have never experienced any damage. You must be careful in cleaning, but nothing will work correctly unless you can make sure that the ink is getting to the head in the first place!
Like having a clean carb, and an empty gas tank.

Good luck, and take it slowly & carefully.

Randy
by unknown on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:04am Add comment
ok so i ve got one more question and a pretty dumb one...ah !

on the nozzle check what is the order of colors?

on the manuel service this is written...
Black 1 / Cyan / Magenta / Light Cyan / LIght Magenta / Yellow Black 2

but on my printer this is not correct... my pattern looks more like
Black 1/Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/LightCyan/LightMagenta/Black2

is that make sense for one of you guyz ?
thanx a lot

Romain
by unknown on Nov 9, 2010 at 11:20am Add comment
Romain,
I am not certain of the order myself?? Good question?
I do know that the inks enter the print head in the order of their respective supply tubes.

But how the nozzle check prints them is a mystery to me?

I would have liked to have know(would still like to know) if there is any way that you can print a nozzle check for a single color, as opposed to having to print all of the colors every time?

Hope that helps??

Clicks,

Randy

by unknown on Nov 9, 2010 at 2:25pm Add comment
I have had the same color with magenta not printing. We did the head washes to no avail, we took the magenta damper out and cleaned it, it was full of gel and dried ink. Now the printer will not print any of the colors. No ink appears to be moving through the ink lines. I put water on the capping system to make sure it is working, and it appears to work fine. Could this be a leak in the system some where? I am thinking of replacing all dampers. Any help is greatly appreciated.
by unknown on Dec 1, 2010 at 6:00am Add comment
Kurt,

If you check out some of my past posts, you will see what I did to double check the lines being clear.

I took off the line connection at the print head, then used a1/4" clear hose taped to a pencil, or rod to insert into an empty ink bay, and up against the ink receptor nozzle.

By applying air pressure through the clear tube with my mouth, I could then start to move the ink through the tube, where it exited at the open end near the print head.

Be sure to place a rag around the open end to prevent making a mess when the ink spews out.

The magenta ink in my supply tube was almost solid, and was very hard to spot until it was forced out via pressure.

Hope this helps!

Randy
by unknown on Dec 1, 2010 at 1:27pm Add comment
Hi

I found your thread as I am trying to fix a similar problem on my epson 7600. Came back after two weeks holiday and the nozzel check is only printing the 1st 5 lines on both blacks. Have tried soaking the docking station and running the print head accross a bit of kitchen roll soaked in print head cleaning solution so next step has to be putting it (or now I have read this warm water) through the print head. Where do I start? is there a way to do this without removing the casing?

Thanks
Lesley
by unknown on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:34am Add comment
Hi had similar problem this evening. Took all the inks out and Used a kids paintbrush with a small amount of nail varnish remover on and wiped over the nozzels that go into the cartridges which stick up in the printer, replaced the inks and its working fine straight away. Only took minutes. Good luck. - valhill
Lesley,

Are you running the power cleaning function from the control panel itself, or just trying to run the standard head cleaning via the software??

If not, then you may not be kicking the head cleaning function up a few knotches??

Randy
by unknown on Dec 13, 2010 at 2:37pm Add comment
Yes Randy I have tried power cleaning several times but no improvement which is what leads me to believe there is a blockage at the head just not sure what is the best way to go about clearing it.

Thanks valhill tried that but with print head cleaner and no change.

As I am getting the first 5 lines on the nozzel check and sometimes a broken 6th line on the blacks and the rest are fine I am thinking its a clog at the print head where it had been left for a while but could be wrong as I am new to this and dont really undertand how print heads work. Going to fill a couple of old carts with warm water and run them through to see if it makes any difference.
by unknown on Dec 14, 2010 at 1:25am Add comment
Lesley,

Can you detect any bubbles in the black line??

The water charge might just work?? try it with just the black ink first.

Another hint.

Open the front door, and place something in the switch on the left to fool the machine into thinking that it's closed, then use a strong flashlight to actually look at the black line during the power cleaning cycle to see if anything is moving through it??

Give it a try..

Best,

Randy

by unknown on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:41am Add comment
Hi Randy

Thanks for the door tip. Ink is moving through the lines and its printing the 1st 5 lines on the nozzel check just not all of them which is causing banding. After sitting looking at it for hours this morning and weighing up the odds I have disconnected the black lines from the print head and have put some cleaning fluid through and reconnected the lines. Am just waiting now for it to soak in. Dont know where I was when patience were handed out but it definately wasnt standing in line lol.

Will let you know the results later.

Lesley
by unknown on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:38am Add comment
urrrrrrrrrgh..... still not worked (no improvement at all) and had to clear air from the lines so used shed loads of ink. Have found that if I print at 1440 or 2880 dpi then I lose the banding so at least I have been able to get a couple of urgent jobs done. Just been wondering if it could be anything other than a blockage as on the nozzel checks both blacks (where working, its the bottom 3 lines I am missing) are a bit 'scrappy'. Have done an alignment check and all the lines on 1 and 2 are quite wiggly compared to previously but 3 is fine and I did change to a differnt type of canvas before I went away.

Lesley
by unknown on Dec 14, 2010 at 8:19am Add comment
The head will never handle all of that abuse, i would just put a new head in there and chances are the problem will go away. You might be advised to fit a new maintenance kit at the same time if you've been pouring tons of cleaning stuff through too.

Paul
by unknown on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:15pm Add comment
I would suggest that you try the water in one color first, then if that fails, do a supply tube clearing by disconnecting the supply tube that is causing the problems at the head, and getting it cleared.

Replacing the entire head would be a major amount of work, and it's worth trying out the tube clearing first..
Randy
by unknown on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:40pm Add comment
Hi Paul

Replacing the head would have to be a last resort as from what I have read you cannot buy a new head as epson only sell them to 'authorised' service companies and is almost as expensive as picking up a second hand printer. I am in the UK (on the south coast) and have found it quite difficult to get hold of parts. Your name sugggest you are in the UK? if so do you know of anyone who might be able to help with service/parts that dont charge the sort of money that requires a second mortgage?

Lesley
by unknown on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:54am Add comment
Thanks Randy

Will go and get some distilled water as our water is really hard and fill and old cart and give that a go. What is the best way to go about it? Do I just keep printing with water once it gets to the print head or should I just leave it soaking or both? and then do I just replace the water cart with black ink and print till it gets through or is there a better way without going through the power clean?

Lesley
by unknown on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:03am Add comment
Lesley,

I did not use a cartridge filled with water, I just used some clear 1/4", or 3/8ths tubing taped to a small wooden dowel lengthwise with about 1/2" inch of the tubing sticking out past the end of the dowel. This dowel (about 12" long)makes the clear tubing strong enough to form a seal against the ink receiver nozzle that usually accepts the ink cartridge. I got about 2 or 3 feet of this tubing, and could literally push the one end that was overhung 1/2" with the dowel, up against the receiver nozzle, while putting pressure blowing on the other end using my breath.

I could then observe the specific ink moving, or not moving in the supply line.

Before you start doing this, make sure that the printer is off, and that you have moved the printhead to the center, or somewhere off the docking position, and placed some soft collection cloths under it to catch any inks that are pushed out during the pressure test.

This is the same method that I used to clear the clotted line in my machine, and I actually removed the one line at the head connection point(a small plastic nut & o ring seal).
You can remove this line without taking off any of the metal covers, just by opening the front cover door.

Good luck,

Randy

by unknown on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:48am Add comment
How can I prevent or stop the 7600 from shaking while printing
by unknown on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:42pm Add comment
Frank,

If you mean moving from the torque of the print head movement??

Then I would say, why bother??
I figure that the sway is probably a good thing to absorb some of the torque??

Just my thinking??

Clicks,

Randy
by unknown on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:23pm Add comment
Hi Randy, Wes and CO

im having the same issue with a 7600 thats been in storage, all inks other than the magenta are perfect with a test pattern. i was glad to see that other people have had this issue and fixed it, as i wasnt looking foward to purchasing a new print head for this printer.
Ive been soaking the head in windex for a day and the magenta is starting to splutter out (really extremly patchy) but its comming out with a green/blue tint, will see how it goes over night and then might try cleaning out the lines.
Do i blow distilled water through the lines or air? and if its air how do i refil the one line with ink so that the print head doesnt get damaged when the air bubble hits it?

Thanks for you help guys

Ben
by BenCoope on Aug 13, 2011 at 1:39am Add comment
Be very very careful..... i managed to blow the dampers, if the head is blocked and you try to force anything through it will have no where to go and as the dampers just have a thin plastic film on the sides it will blow very easily. I also made the mistake of trying to insert a tube directly into the damper without removing it, then when i tried to re-attach the ink line i managed to widen it so it didnt make a good seal. Eventually I removed the damper casing and injected cleaner directly into the print head. I am still experiencing problems getting the ink through to the dampers and to be honest have just about given up.
by unknown on Aug 13, 2011 at 2:39am Add comment
Not a big fan of Windex for this application as the rubber components in the printhead are not good with amonia. Try using a cleaning fluid made for this purpose. Also, rather than pushing fluid through the dampers, try sucking it in from the underside with a syringe and rubber tubing.
Hope this helps.
by unknown on Aug 13, 2011 at 4:21pm Add comment
Thanks for your info.

Although I am not exactly sure what you are calling the dampers??
Are these located in the printhead itself??

I applied pressure to the cartridge side inlet tube with the supply tube at the printhead detatched.

I did not try to apply pressure with the supply tube still on the printhead.

And I also suggest that you only use mouth pressure to the tube if possible.

I have used the Epson cleaning fluid, and the windex as well, and have never experienced a problem..

Thanks for all the help!

Randy
by unknown on Aug 13, 2011 at 8:08pm Add comment
The dampers are the plastic assemblies which connect directly to the printhead. They are white with clear sides, about 1" high and 1.5 inches long. Each is fed by an ink supply tube. There needs to be ink in the dampers to feed the printhead. Remove the dampers from the the top of the printhead, suck ink with a syringe and reinsert the damper on top of the printhead. There needs to be a good seal between the damper and the printhead. Careful, this can be a bit messy.
by unknown on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:34am Add comment
It Works!

Following the advise here I removed the Magenta line from the print head/damper and then using a syringe pushed/pulled warm distilled water through the line and held a plastic tube at the print cartridge end to open the seal and collect the ink/water. This took a little bit of time and many refills of water, some of the ink came out looking like pencil lead (or crayons) i got it to a point where distilled water wasnt doing much and no new ink blots where coming out and then filled the line with windex which also removed the air bubbles and re-connected the line to the head and then left it overnight. This morning i did 3 cleans (with the menu options) and i could see the point where fresh ink getting sucked through the line was moving the windex out, once that point got to the head i did an extra clean and then printed a test pattern, the magenta came out perfect :)
Here is a link to a scanned image of the test pattern before and after the clean.
by BenCoope on Aug 15, 2011 at 3:34pm Add comment
Ben Coope,
Well that is almost exactly what I had to do to get my unit working again...and it appears to have worked...Sweet!

Now get to making some nice prints!!

Clicks,

Randy
by unknown on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:21pm Add comment
Hi Randy, (et. al.)

Thank you for creating this thread. It must be the nature of Epson Magenta to clog since I have encountered the exact same problems as all of you have. After taking this printer off line and storing it a garage in sunny, hot AZ (of all places)for about 6-8 months, it is no wonder the ink is clogged.

Anyway, a question to Randy...can you explain specifically how you disconnected the magenta feed tube from the damper assembly. Does it screw off or pull off? I don't want to mess this up. Also, am I correct in assuming that the feed tubes are in order of how the ink cartridges are lined up; which would put the Magenta tube in the middle of the 7 tubes?

Also, did you do all of this without dismantling the printer. I can see the tube I need to work on with the head centered, power off, and the cover lifted. Is this all that I have to do to clear it out?

Also, how do I access the front of the print head to soak the jets for 24 hrs with the cloth soaked in cleaning fluid or Windex?

Also, if anyone has discovered any other suggestions that would help...I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

DH
by Dale Holladay on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:08pm Add comment
DH,
Anyway, a question to Randy...can you explain specifically how you disconnected the magenta feed tube from the damper assembly. ANS: (I basically carefully unscrewed the plastic nut on the prinhead when the feed tube enters that assembly. The feedtube friction fits into the printhead, and is sealed via a very, very small "O" ring that seals the supply tube with the plastic nut via compression. Do not lose that O ring!

On the cartridge side of the Supply tube, there are two ways to access the tube. The easy way is to just use a 1/4 or 3/8 inch plastic vinyl tubing taped to something like a dowel, and then apply mouth pressure to the inlet nozzle, but the supply tube must be disconnected at the print head for this to work. Also make sure that the disconnected feedtube end is pushed into a rag or you will have large mess to clean up.

Also, how do I access the front of the print head to soak the jets for 24 hrs with the cloth soaked in cleaning fluid or Windex? ANS: TURN ON THE PRINTER, AND AS SOON AS IT STARTS GOING THROUGH ITS STARTUP ROUTINE(head going right to left), then uplug it
Take a single(or double) layer of a white tee shirt scrap, and soak it with whatever cleaning fluid that works best.(Try to find a windex like fluid that contains no amonia if you can). Otherwise order some of the Epson cleaning fluid which works very well.
Then place that soaked material over the docking station on the far right side of the machine.
Now plug in the printer again, and let it go through its startup cycle, now turn it back off.

The printhead will now be resting on the cleaner soaked material...Leave it there overnight.
Use the same trick to pull the plug when it's starting up, and remove the cleaning rag, then restart, and run a cleaning cycle, and a test.

Be very careful not to jam up the head motion with too thick of a cleaning rag!

And by the way...I had the printer way, way torn apart before I could get to certain things..
Hope this helps, and good luck

Randy

Does it screw off or pull off? I don't want to mess this up. Also, am I correct in assuming that the feed tubes are in order of how the ink cartridges are lined up; which would put the Magenta tube in the middle of the 7 tubes?
by unknown on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:21pm Add comment
Thanks, Randy

I took the magenta feedline off since no ink was flowing, indicating a complete clog. There was about a 1 1/2 inch clog of magenta ink where the tube attaches to the damper. I was able to carefully extract most of it with the blunt head of a large needle. It had thicken like a blood clot. I then took a long soda straw (that was leftover from my 44 ouncer, :-) and was able to line it up with the cartridge end of the tube, pushing in slightly with my mouth on the straw to depress the piston and blew air through the clogged tube. I took a hypodermic and carefully filled the tube with water from the damper end and let it soak a bit, then blew the water, clog mix out. I discovered that the clog was worse than first thought since the white plastic damper itself was almost completely clogged on the inside of it and the end where the tubing screws on had a huge clog in it. So I took a screwdriver, removed the one screw holding the damper unit on. Dropped the damper unit down and removed only the magenta damper. Note: someone earlier noted that the magenta was printing gray on the nozzle check pattern. Well I have an explanation of that; the old ink in the magenta nozzle was black (from oxidation I suppose) I removed that nozzle and took it to the sink to run warm water through it until it was clean. NOTE: Be very care in handling the dampers as to not poke a hole through the thin plastic membrane on the right side. I reinstalled the damper unit and hooked up the tube and ran 3 cleaning cycles and voila...I have a clean magenta nozzle check. I printed one print with some banding and then encountered this problem:

Second Problem. In trying to print subsequent prints the printer give the error "Roll Paper Out" even though I have selected single sheets. Any ideas on what to do here? I can seem to get the printer to get past the error. I've reset it, turn the power off, set the paper in the software and alas, no success.

I am now soaking the heads in Windex until tonight when I will try again.

Thanks again and I hope my description of what I did helps someone else.

DH

by Dale Holladay on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:27am Add comment
Dale,

Good news about getting the clogs cleaned out....sweet.

As to the other problems with the paper loading:

I encounter this all the time, and think that it has to do with operator error..

I usually do this:

I open the paper lever, then immediately press the paper select button twice to select the "Sheet" option. Then I close the lever, drop in a sheet, and then usually press the pause button.

I think that the error message occurs almost every time that I go to print, because I tend to forget which exact steps that I did to get it right.

Obviously the roll paper option is the default, so when you are going through the print dialog, make sure to look at all of the settings to make sure that the roll paper option is not checked by default..

Hope that helps!

Clicks,

Randy

by unknown on Aug 25, 2011 at 9:35pm Add comment
Thanks Randy,

I think we are up and running. It is printing and there is no banding. You and all the others that contributed to this have been most helpful.

Ain't the internet GREAT!?!

by Dale Holladay on Aug 26, 2011 at 4:54pm Add comment
Glad I could help...

Print on!!!!
by unknown on Aug 26, 2011 at 11:25pm Add comment
I hope some one still watches this thread! My problem is a little different from these, Printer was working fine, no problems with clogged heads or test prints, THEN! I had to reset the chips on the refillable cartridges, after doing that it still printed a few prints, then the black-1 stopped, I did a test print and no black_1, I did a power cleaning and then only the magenta printed in the test print. So I tried another power cleaning, now nothing will print. What could have happened by removing the ink cartridges and replacing them? there is ink in all the lines and it printed several good prints right after replacing the cartridges and they have plenty of ink in them.
by flag people on Oct 15, 2013 at 7:42am Add comment
RANDY, ARE YOU STILL THERE??
I am having the same issues as you did..(and have tried everything you have). How did you get 5" of gunk out of the magenta line... Did you remove the line and then clean?

Please provide me with the detailed instructions of how you got the gunk out of the line?
by Zabeaton on Oct 19, 2013 at 1:38pm Add comment
flag people try replacing the black cartrige. The after market refillable have a issue of stop workingeven after they worked.
by unknown on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:11pm Add comment
In post from nearly four years ago you mentioned you solved your problem by disconnecting both ends of the tubing and applying air pressure. Can you please explain how to remove both ends of the tube?

Thanks so much,
Steve
by simonart on May 23, 2014 at 12:52pm Add comment
Hi,
I have (2) 7600s. One works great and the other is misbehaving :(

The misbehaving one has the colors out of register (fuzzy out of focus prints).
When I run the head alignment, the end result is all the lines are way out of register. I replaced the encoder strip. No improvement. Could it be the encoder beam reader has gone bad? Other ideas?

Thanks
Steve
by atomicmiata on Dec 26, 2014 at 4:12pm Add comment
Please I need HELP!!!!
horrible head alignment

Alignment Ck.......vertical black cut lines followed by two lighter lines in K!, K2 and K3.
I try all 3 alignments suggested by the EPSON manual but is getting worse.
Please, Please...I need to deliver a job by Monday.
Thank,s. Al.
by unknown on Apr 18, 2015 at 5:49pm Add comment
Dear friend

Maybe you could remove the print head.

Then cleaning the print head by syringe. or replance the ink damper

http://www.printer-product.com/?Product2/Product13/Product25/
by brianhu on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:45am Add comment
Dear friend

Maybe you could remove the print head.

Then cleaning the print head by syringe. or replance the ink damper

http://www.printer-product.com/?Product2/Product13/Product25/
by brianhu on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:45am Add comment