rohmell

asked Jan 17, 2008 at 1:36pm
Hp HP Business Inkjet 2600

LaserJet smartchip mod for HP 1600, 2600, 2605

Does anyone have any info about the "3 modifications" that can be done to the HP 1600, HP 2600, HP 2600n, HP 2605, HP 2605dn, HP 2605dtn, HP CM1015 All-In-One, and HP CM1017 All-In-One printers to eliminate and override the smartchip on the four toner cartridges Q6000A Q6001A Q6002A Q6003A?
When you do find it let us all know...good info to have.
by unknown on Jan 17, 2008 at 2:10pm Add comment
On some of those printers it's in the menus, something like toner out continue, so I wouldn't consider it to be a modification.
by Stephen on Jan 17, 2008 at 4:35pm Add comment
You can override the message in the menu. You have to do it before the toner runs out. When you do so, you will get no warning of toner empty. Your printout will suddenly start having blank areas in one or more colors. Read this whole thread on the subject. I found it by using the search feature of the site as suggested in the posting rules. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/48750#1
by moe on Jan 17, 2008 at 5:13pm Add comment
They say that you will only need scissors, black electrical tape, ruler to complete these modifications, see info at this URL:
http://cgi.ebay.com
by rohmell on Jan 18, 2008 at 1:12pm Add comment
I'm not sure what the 3 steps on the PirateBay listing are. I also think those extra page yield claims a bit exaggerated. Maybe the first step is to send him the $8.99. I also don't know what the ruler is for. If you look at the front left of the toner cartridge, you'll see the little green reset chip. Above and below it you'll see a clear plastic light pipe. That shines a light through the toner. If the light makes it to the other end, then the printer thinks there is no toner in the cartridge and shuts it down. You can use any kind of opaque tape that will stick to the ends of the light pipe (I guess the scissors are for cutting the tape). If the light doesn't shine through, the printer will think the cartridge is full. I'm wondering how he stretches all of this to 7 pages. Maybe it's like back in school when you had to write a 7 page assignment and you wrote all the words really big? I'm thinking the ruler is to measure the end of the light pipe and make sure you don't waste tape by cutting it too big.
by moe on Jan 18, 2008 at 2:34pm Add comment
I don't think that the first step is to send the money, because you receive the pdf file only after the money has been sent, so probably the first step is to open the printer, 2nd step remove toner cart, 3rd step cover light pipe with tape.
The service manual for the LJ3700 says that if no light is detected within a specified amount of time during toner level detection, then the DC controller judges the "toner level sensor abnormal" and sends an error message to the formatter. I don't know if a similar process occurs in the LJ 1600, 2600, 2605, but I covered the light pipes in my 3700 and it still prints fine, so the error must be an internal one, which is not communicated to the user, or has any effect on printing.
by rohmell on Jan 18, 2008 at 7:32pm Add comment
You can overide the chips easily:

Cartridge Out Override can only be enabled from the printer's control panel menu.

1. From the main menu, press (Right arrow) to System setup and press (Select).
2. Press (Right arrow) to Print quality and press (Select).
3. Press (Right arrow) to Replace Supplies and press (Select).
4. Press (Right arrow) to Override out and press (Select).
5. Press (Select).

If Stop at out is selected, the printer will stop printing when a cartridge reaches the recommended
replacement point.

If Override out is selected, the printer will continue printing when a cartridge
reaches the recommended replacement point.

The factory default setting is Stop at out
by unknown on Apr 8, 2008 at 6:05am Add comment
Thanks trl!

I just switched my 1600 to override out and I'm back to printing even though the printer said my black toner was empty. - unknown
Shazam!!

After I found these instructions my problem was solved. Wow!

I wonder how many more pages I will get??!! I wonder how much money I wasted throwing those still usable cartridges away?

Thank you "trl" !

Robert... - Anonymous
Where do i fond the printer control panel menu? Is it in the control panel? do i right or left click on the printer icopn in the control panel? i cant find how to get there.
by Anonymous on Aug 23, 2008 at 10:40pm Add comment
Just found this.

To the last question. it is on the printer itself, not from the PC.
by Anonymous on Sep 5, 2008 at 6:03am Add comment
The HP Color LaserJet 2600n printer displays an Order supplies message when a cartridge is running low and a Replace supplies message when a cartridge has been depleted. To ensure optimal print quality, HP recommends replacing a cartridge when the Replace supplies message is displayed. Replacing the cartridge at this point can help prevent waste of media or other cartridges when one cartridge produces poor print quality.

The Cartridge Out Override feature allows the printer to continue using a cartridge that has reached the recommended replacement point.
WARNING! Using Override may result in unsatisfactory print quality and unavailability of certain features (such as toner remaining information).
WARNING! All print defects or supply failures incurred when an HP supply is used in Override will not be considered defects in materials or workmanship in the supply under HP's Print Cartridge Limited Warranty Statement.

Configuration
Cartridge Out Override can only be enabled from the printer's control panel menu.
1. From the main menu, press (RIGHT ARROW) to System setup and press Check Mark button (SELECT).
2. Press (RIGHT ARROW) to Print quality and press the Check Mark button (SELECT).
3. Press (RIGHT ARROW) to Replace supplies and press Check Mark button (SELECT).
4. Press (RIGHT ARROW) to Override out and press Check Mark button (SELECT).
5. Press (Check Mark button SELECT).
If Stop at out is selected, the printer will stop printing when a cartridge reaches the recommended replacement point. If Override out is selected, the printer will continue printing when a cartridge reaches the recommended replacement point. The factory default setting is Stop at out.

On-going operation
Override can be enabled or disabled at any time, and does not have to be re-enabled for each cartridge. The printer will automatically continue printing when a cartridge reaches recommended replacement. The printer will display a message Replace supply Override in use while a cartridge is used in Override mode. When the cartridge is replaced with a new supply, Override will de-activate until another cartridge reaches recommended replacement.
by Anonymous on Apr 8, 2009 at 9:27am Add comment
i have hp 2600n i have refilled the tonners and when i start it , it is showing install meganta cartridge after that i have replaced the reset chip , but now it is showing message " incorrect meganta " any body have solution ? another problem is when on opening front door i found blue colour strips on the transfer belt
by unknown on Oct 27, 2012 at 2:59pm Add comment
i have hp 2600n i have refilled the tonners and when i start it , it is showing install meganta cartridge after that i have replaced the reset chip , but now it is showing message " incorrect meganta " any body have solution ? another problem is when on opening front door i found blue colour strips on the transfer belt
by unknown on Oct 27, 2012 at 3:02pm Add comment