Francine

asked Apr 19, 2007 at 1:04pm
Lexmark Lexmark Optra T

X3470 Lexmark

The display reads "cover open". The cover is not open. I have opened and closed the cover. I have unplugged and plugged the printer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software. The power button automatically comes on when I plug in the printer. I can't shut down the printer. Does anyone know what I can do? This printer has hardly been used. I opened the cover to see what type of cartridge I needed and this happened. I have also removed and reinstalled the cartridge. Nothing has removed this message.
I have four pictures of the repair.
(They are a bit blurry, but it should help orient you.

1. Cover removed showing Circuit board at rear right.
2. Lever arm that falls off, producing the error
3. Shot of the Circuit board "whole" with the arm missing
4. Shot of the Circuit board "whole" with the arm in place.

Note: in the last picture, the "arm" is colored black and is sticking up.

If you need them, email me.
by mquallet on Oct 1, 2007 at 9:03am Add comment
Hi,
I would appreciate copies of your repairs to your Lexmark
Maurie - unknown
please send me these pictures if possible.. we are in desperate need in fixing our printer.

Thank you - Anonymous
I'm about to try to fix my printer (X3470) cover open struck...i would appreciate your pics re what the fix looks like. Thanks - Anonymous
I would love to see those pictures, I am still having trouble trying to figure out how to remove the cover. - unknown

Please send me the pictures of the repair "Lexmark x3470 COVER OPEN message" I need them

Thanks a lot.

- gmogat
Re: Lexmark x3470 COVER OPEN message by gmogat (8/14/2008 0:11 PM) reply + / -

Please send me the pictures of the repair "Lexmark x3470 COVER OPEN message" I need them

Thanks a lot.

- gmogat
would love you have your pictures of the repair. I am a total non-nerd and need visuals to guide me.
Thanks,
Carol, AZ - Anonymous
The lid sensor is a tiny microswitch that is on the main circuit board...there is a white nylon lever arm snapped onto the switch.

if the lever arm falls off (like mine did) the 'cover open' error will last forever.

This may (or may not) be possible do fix without some disassembly. This lever arm should stick up through a rectangular hole that's approximately 1/2" to the right of the print head (assuming print head is parked in the middle) and behind it.

Most likely if your lever arm has fallen off, shaking the printer gently upside down with the cover open will allow it to fall out.

Now if you are a dentist or a surgeon, snapping the lever bit back on is no problem without taking anything apart.

I am neither. For the brave (of foolish) ones who like to do surgery, here goes. Here's how I took mine apart....if yours breaks into a million bits, don't blame me.

0) unplug the power and take the scanner cover off.

1) release the 'kickstand' from the scanner by prying and squeezing it with pliers until the two prongs pop out (or crack and break)

2) detach the scanner hinges by prying/squeezing with pliers until they pop off (or crack and break). (CAUTION: read step 3 below first...don't just yank the scanner off without reading step 3)

3) Carefully unplug ribbon cable and other connector to scanner and set scanner aside.

4) remove screws at front of beige plastic part....pry at the back carefully and this will pop off....sending the screws flying if you left them loose in their little wells. Don't worry, there are only two of them that really do anything anyway.

5) Look towards the rear of the printer and you will see the circuit board and the 'hole' where you can see the sensor, and possibly your white nylon lever arm lying pathetically down in the bowels of the printer.

6) Retrieve and Carefully snap the nylon lever arm back on, and think nasty thoughts about the brainiac who designed that part.

reverse the above steps. Put at least most of the screws back in, or the front panel may fall off at a later date.

Take care to GENTLY plug the ribbon cable and the other scanner connector back in, making sure it's seated all the way. Try not to bend or kink the end of it, or it will be toast.

Good luck, and happy lexmarking.....
by unknown on May 25, 2007 at 8:07pm Add comment
Rob M your instructions helped and if anybody wants to know where to find where the lever goes just hold the cover above where it usually is and where the pointy thing is, directly below it is where the lever goes but yeah Robs instructions helped - Anonymous
How does it fit back in? For the life of me I can't figure it out. - Anonymous
You are my hero! Thank you so much for your explanation on how to fix the cover open message on a Lexmark x3470. I didn't think I could do it but I did!!

Amazing! - unknown
Rob, you are THE MAN! It was a pain, but I got it fixed, thanks to your directions. Maybe Lexmark will give us the name of the Bozo who designed that little gem of a rocker arm and we can all go kick his ass! Thanks. - Anonymous
OMG you are a genius!! After a few days of "troubleshooting" including waiting 2 days with no reply from Lexmark, Google gave me you!!! Thank you so much. We were 1 day away from buying something new so my son could print out a major class project. About 20 minutes and one broken hinge we are up and printing. By the replies to this post you have saved many. Pay it forward baby!! - Anonymous
THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM!!! THANKS! Just take the lid off completely and shake it. take the little gray thingy and snap it back in so that it is pusing the little black button. Thanks man that was easy. - Anonymous
I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to type this rather detailed set of instructions for repairing this most irritating and uneccessary problem. I tire of these companies that produce cheap and poorly thought out engineering to save money or to cause you to buy another printer and make more money. It took me and hour or so to disassemble and reassemble my printer, but it did work and I would have had no idea how to do so had it not been for your generous contribution. Thank you again for your exellent entry. - Anonymous
Rob, you're a star! Fixed my Father in Law's printer using your post. Many Thanks. - Anonymous
Thanks for the info.! I was able to fix a co-worker's lexmark who had the same problem.

Thanks Again!! - Anonymous
Thanks for your detailed instructions. I have just fixed my printer. Needless to say my next printer won't be a Lexmark. - Anonymous
Thanks Rob. I couldn't figure out where the micro switch was until I read your post. - Anonymous
Thanks, this worked. I didn't do too much added damage to the case. - Anonymous
Nice and easy fix. just follow instructions and you will be fine
Thanks - Anonymous
lOST CD TO CONNECT THE PRINTER TO COMPUTER TO DOWNLOAD THE LEXMARK X3450 PRINTER TO THE COMPUTER - Anonymous
WOW!! It worked for me too! Lexmark tech support suggested I purchase a new printer because there was nothing they could do. So I started searching the internet and I found your information, gave it a try and now my printer works just fine. My suggestion to anyone else would be to point the lever downward with the 'slit' facing up and it will snap right on (as I wasn't sure which direction it should go). My printer went back together very easily. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! - Anonymous
I had this same printer for 4 years. Recently had to replace ink cartridge and had the same exact problem. Had it apart for a couple weeks searching for the problem. I wasnt going to give up ,especially after just spending $25 for the ink?Glad i found your posting.Thanks for your help.Printer works perfectly now.
THANKS! You even posted pics? - Anonymous
TAPE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!That is what I did.I made sure,I connected the printer to power, after I was done and before I put it together again. It works like a charm.!!!!! - unknown
hi i turned my printer up side down and shook it gently and it got that problem off and now it is saying click start to unclog the paper jam when there is no paper in it and i click start and nothing happens what do i do? - unknown
With the printer disassembled, the microswitch is a small black rectangular bit, with two holes...one on each side. On the nylon lever arm there are two little 'points' of plastic on the inside....these are the pivot points. The part is 'split' at the back so it can be spread out a bit and snapped onto the microswitch.

It's not easy to do, even with the printer partly disassembled.
by Anonymous on May 28, 2007 at 9:27pm Add comment
I have the same problem, but do not want to chance breaking anything. Does anyone know if a repair shop could fix this and how much it may cost or will it be covered under a warranty. I bought my printer in Nov. 2006.
by granite girl on May 29, 2007 at 4:35pm Add comment
Any repair shop could fix this, and I would hope that a Lexmark dealer would fix it for free since this is a poor design and a common failure. - Anonymous
ME too!! I just replaced my ink cartridge. NOTHING IS open. Nothing is out of place. None of the buttons work. (power, menu, mode, cancel or start). I have unplugged it. Restarted my PC. NOTHING makes it go away. HELP!
by C. Neely on Jun 1, 2007 at 7:53pm Add comment
You should be ashamed of yourself. A few posts up a woman and and her young son fixed it. I'm sure if you had bothered to read this thread instead of whining, you too could have fixed it. How can we help you if you won't help yourself. - Anonymous
More info please! Left right up down--where the heck is the small black rectangular bit with two holes? I'm looking strictly at the back of the circuit board, right? thanks
by Anonymous on Jun 1, 2007 at 8:17pm Add comment
First of all, note that on the cover, there is a pointy part at the rear approx 3 inches from the right hinge. That's the part that pushes down on the sensor lever.

The black rectangular bit is a microswitch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microswitch

it looks sorta like the one at the right on the wiki entry above.

The lever arm snaps onto the body of this switch.

The main circuit board of the printer hangs vertically in the back of the printer and has a black plastic shield over about 90\% of it (probably to keep dust and fingers out).

The microswitch is rectangular shape and is oriented vertically....it's on the circuit board very near the top. You can see the tiny button that the lever arm pushes...this button faces the rear of the printer.

I've googled the internet for a photo of this thing, but so far no luck. If you can't figure it out, I will disassemble my printer and post some digital photos of it.
by Anonymous on Jun 2, 2007 at 8:07am Add comment
YES :) YES :) YES! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE!

Your explanation was perfect! My printer is up and working again. Yes, I did have a tiny crunch on one of the hinges, but it still works fine! I could not figure out "where" that black switch was! Last night (before your help) I found a (lower and to the right) black lever, which made a little metal thing (directly below the switch) move--which was interesting, but NOT what I needed. With your help, I found the correct switch and FIXED my printer.

Once I figured out where to mount the white lever, (which took about 2 seconds to gently snap on) I did need my youngest son (he has tinier fingers) to re-attach the ribbon (took more time than the switch). I encourage anyone to give it a try! I am NOT a fix-it kinda woman; but I did it!
by Anonymous on Jun 2, 2007 at 11:56am Add comment
Glad to hear the mystery of Lexmark cover-open has been solved. The internet is sometimes very useful for that sort of thing.

I still think that Lexmark made a poor design choice by making a sensor arm that can pop off so easily.

If I were designing it, I would have put a pin thru the switch with an e-clip on each end. But I guess that would add another $.002 cents of cost to the printer.

by Anonymous on Jun 2, 2007 at 7:23pm Add comment
Thank you so much!! This helped tremendously! It took a while to actually find where to clip it back to, but once i did, it was a snap ;) Thanks again!
by Anonymous on Jun 5, 2007 at 7:42pm Add comment
I am trying to fix my printer x3470, Do I have to take out the black plastic shield which is attached the main circuit board?

I see the sensor but I do not see the microswitch. I can not open the black plastic shield....

by Anonymous on Jun 12, 2007 at 9:40am Add comment
No, there is a gap in the black plastic shield. On mine the white nylon lever arm was caught in the gap or hole in this shield.

Note that there is a pointy bit on the lid....this is what presses down on the lever arm, which is supposed to be snapped onto the switch.
by Anonymous on Jun 12, 2007 at 3:21pm Add comment
you guys are the best. thanks so much. i just fixed my printer!!!
by Anonymous on Aug 30, 2007 at 8:40pm Add comment
Yea so I can't even get the scanner off and already broke both hinges. Any special technique?
by unknown on Sep 3, 2007 at 7:32pm Add comment
OK, so I did all of your instructions and I am still getting the cover open message of death. The pulleys under the glass on the scanner are just knocking back and forth like they are jammed. The head of the white lever arm goes upwards correct as the long part faces down? I followed the exact steps listed and I still get the same message.
by unknown on Sep 4, 2007 at 4:34pm Add comment
if the white lever is installed correctly, when it pivots you should hear a soft distinct clicking of the microswitch it is attached to (when you operate the switch).

I suppose that it is possible that part of that switch or lever broke, or the switch itself is bad. You could probably shove some tape or something in there to hold the switch shut, and remove it when you need to change cartridges.

If the scanner is acting weird, make sure that the ribbon cable that connects to the cover has not become partially unplugged. Worst case would be if that ribbon cable were damaged. Hopefully it just needs to be re-seated in the connector.

Boy these printers are well made, aren't they??? (not) - Anonymous
Thanks for the direction guys, it worked a treat for me too. The only bit that wasn't immediately clear was where the rocker had to be positioned. Once I figured it out I took a photograph which you can see at:

http://www.myspace.com/fillymoo

Good luck!

by moo on Sep 15, 2007 at 8:43am Add comment
Thanks so much for the info; I've been waiting for my husband to fix this printer for two months. After hustling to the library tonight to print a homework sheet for my son, I came home determinded to find some info. Taking it apart was no problem. The hardest part was figuring out how to snap the plastic arm back on. My son solved that! Anyway, thanks for posting!!
by pstewrt on Oct 1, 2007 at 8:44pm Add comment
i can not fix my printer it keeps saying that the cover is open when it is closed its making me mad and i really i have to print something out notify me as soon as possible please!!!!!!!
by marshasayegh on Oct 3, 2007 at 10:31pm Add comment
Thank you so much for the help!!! My printer appears to be working fine! I'm alligning right now! My H.S. freshman son thanks you all for the great advice, now his paper won't be late!!! P.S. Lexmark creators are evil!!!!!!!!!!!
by unknown on Oct 15, 2007 at 4:58am Add comment
The cover is not open. I have opened and closed the cover. I have unplugged and plugged the printer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software. The power button automatically comes on when I plug in the printer. I can't shut down the printer. Does anyone know what I can do? This printer has hardly been used. I opened the cover to see what type of cartridge I needed and this happened. I have also removed and reinstalled the cartridge. Nothing has removed this message.

by Anonymous on Oct 26, 2007 at 5:49am Add comment
then post your email address ....
by Anonymous on Oct 26, 2007 at 5:49pm Add comment
Thank you all for the great directions! Looks like a few of us had the same problem this week! Fixed the switch in 20 minutes. Pictures helped mquallet...thanks.

Great forum!
by mpz522 on Oct 27, 2007 at 9:00am Add comment
I was able to follow Rob M's directions and repair the Lexmark 3470 without dismanteling the printer. I shook the printer upside down and got the white plastic lever out. I popped off the scanner cover to get it out of the way. I slid off the rear paper holder to get more room. Then I lifted the infamous "cover" up and only popped off the right hinge; therefore, I did not have to disconnect any wires or screws. If you slowly apply gentle controlled pressure at an angle the right hinge pops out like a tooth without damaging the hinge. Now there is enough room to snap the white plastic lever onto the black plastic switch that has a tiny tiny silver pin sticking up. The white plastic lever should point up toward the hole in the back top of the printer, opposite where the "cover" has a white wedge that pushes onto the white lever to click the switch on and off. In other words the gripping part of the white plastic lever goes in first toward the switch. Then push it down and snap it on. Now reverse the directions and snap it all back together again. I was able to do this without any tools and without a hemostat to hold the white plastic lever. It took about 20 minutes the first time. If I had to do it again it would probably take about 1 minute, but I am a dentist.
by Anonymous on Oct 31, 2007 at 10:41pm Add comment
I too have the same problem of cover open. I fix mine by first remove the bar that holds the lid up.

(1)Just pinch it together easy and it will come out of the bracket.
(2)Then remove the lid for the scanner by just lifting and pull easy
and it snaps out.
(3)At the two back hinges press on the two hold sides and pull up easy on the lid. Do one side at a time.
(4) Now check and see if the white bracket is still on the switch and if not snap it back on. Then take some tape and tape it to the housing in the close mode. It will always be in the close mode and works just fine. You do not have to take it apart just take the two lids off and replace the plastic switch back on and tape it to the housing. You do have to remove the paper back holder. It to snaps out of it holder.
Hope this helps. It took no more than 10 minutes to do. Make sure to unplug it first.( both connection)
by Riviera on Nov 9, 2007 at 6:15pm Add comment
Hi,
I had an easier solution!

It took three phone calls to get it fixed.

I called Lexmark support but unfortunately my helper was an Asian girl who didn't have a good grasp of English to be handling complaints.

After she told me that unless I had original receipt There was nothing that could be done .

I saw red and called Aldi where I had bought the printer, on a money refund deal, accounting for no receipt, as part of the deal was to send in your proof of purchase.

I was lucky enough to get the purchaseing manager who said "leave it to me" a day later I received a reconditioned printer that although I couldn't get the lid down every thing worked.

The manager called me to say I would be looked after if I called one of Lexmark's managers whose name he gave to me.

I had a pleasant conversation with this person who agreed to send out another printer this one WORKS fine.

It cost me nothing for freight either way as a prepaid voucher was included with the printer.

So I must say it was a lot better than pulling the printer apart.
Maurie

by unknown on Nov 10, 2007 at 8:58pm Add comment
This is true.....until it breaks again. This model is a solid little printer with one design flaw that was infuriating. i personally replaced three different ones via phone support with lexmark before i stumbled onto this site and repaired every one when they eventually repeated the error....

by mquallet on Nov 11, 2007 at 7:00pm Add comment
Well, here is my contribuiton.

I've read this post today and I was able to fix the "Cover Open" problem. The message started to appear when I replaced the ink cartridge. The white piece on the pics falled out of the place. And the "surgery" to fix it tooks I guess 40 minutes.

Here the pics

http://www.agustincarballo.com/lex/

Thanx and Hugs from Brazil

Agustin Carballo

by unknown on Nov 14, 2007 at 1:49pm Add comment
THANKS to everyone who gave advice on this thread, but the thing that helped us the most in the end was Augustin's link to his pictures. I must be a visual learner :-) So, thanks to someone in Brazil, someone in New Zealand was able to fix their computer. Isn't the internet great!!! - Anonymous
I clicked on your link to get the pics to fix my lexmark x3470 but something else came up did u change this link. If you did would u kindly email me the pics so I can fix this printer please - Anonymous
Thank you for all your posts. I was able to fix the switch the first time this happened back in June when I was lucky enough to find your post. However, after fixing the switch everytime I replace the ink cartridge now the scanner doesn't work. I have check all the connectors. It seems like the sweeping bar gets stuck in one place. Did anything like this happen to any of you?

Please let me know..
by Anonymous on Nov 26, 2007 at 8:43pm Add comment
Thanks you rock man. Took about 25 minutes.
by Anonymous on Nov 27, 2007 at 1:59pm Add comment
Thanks for the breakdown. It worked. You are kick ass!
by unknown on Dec 2, 2007 at 6:29pm Add comment
Thanks. Your instuctions helped a lot. It should be said that the micro switch is on the back of the board and can be seen from the rear of the printer when the lid is open. The cheap swich lever mounts with the narrow tappered end pointing upward.
With your directins it took about 1/2 hour to repair my X3740. Other than this switch, the printer has worked well.
by unknown on Dec 9, 2007 at 10:33am Add comment
Thanks for the advice. I'm still struggling with getting the scanner hinges to let go in order to remove it, but that's a function of not having another set of hands at the moment. The rest of this seems simple enough.

I wonder if more recent Lexmark models have had this problem re-engineered. The first solution offered by the guy I corresponded with at Lexmark was "we'll send you a new printer if you have proof of purchase." Well, that wasn't an option, since the box and the CC receipt were long gone (an oversight I plan not to repeat; note to self: set up filing system for electronic widgets), so I asked for another suggestion and got nothing.
by Linkmeister on Dec 26, 2007 at 5:45pm Add comment
Dont feel bad.
I "replaced" three of these printers (via exhange trough tech support ) before i discovered this thread....
by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2007 at 9:30pm Add comment
GOod instructions. I got past the cover open issue but now my paper won't feed correctly. It keeps getting pulled on the right and jamming. Any thoughts?
by unknown on Dec 29, 2007 at 6:15am Add comment
Did you ever receive help for your paper feed problem? If so, can you share the information?

Thanks - Anonymous
i have another possible fix. after i got the top off, i CAREFULLY supported the top with out removing the ribbon connector. i tried to put the lever back on, but it fell off again as i tried to reassemble. as i cursed, i decided to use something else to trip the micro switch. i used a piece of the cardboard from a cartfidge box, bent into a squared "C" and taped it in place with electrical tape, working in the small opening. it's not easy to get fingers, tape, and the cardboard into the hole, but so far, so good.
by unknown on Jan 21, 2008 at 2:22pm Add comment
i went through taking everything apart an trying to put my switch back on but my switch had apparently fell off. so pretty much i summed up that when you up the cover, where the ink is placed there is a hole that where the switch it placed, and you will feel a little lever like a little tab if you place your finger in the hole. and all you have to do is pretty much put a piece of a tape over it and it's resolved in 2 seconds. it solved everything and there was no need to take apart the printer or anything.
by Anonymous on Jan 21, 2008 at 10:39pm Add comment
Cool info, duct tape works good, needed small plyers to hold plastic thing in place. Then tape it down, closed.

Tks everyone, now where is the one I threw out last year ??

Tet '68
by unknown on Feb 21, 2008 at 10:39am Add comment
AWESOME! 10 minutes and we got a printer/scanner for FREE!!!

Thanks for the directions!

~Mary
by Anonymous on Mar 12, 2008 at 7:00pm Add comment
Customer Support Chat

Your Name: Lorna Doone

History:
Thanks for contacting Lexmark Customer Support

Someone will be with you shortly...
[Lorna Doone] X3470 cover open error message
[George] Welcome to Lexmark Chat Support.
[George] Hello Karyn, I will help you to resolve the issue.
[LD] hi and thank you
[George] Please re-confirm the printer model?
[LD] X3470
[George] lets began with the SELF TEST. please follow the steps given below.

1.Turn the power to the printer off by pressing the “Power” button once.
2.Press and hold the “Start” button and the “Power” button.
3.Once the screen will display “Mfg Menu Enabled” release both buttons.
4.Press the “Mode” button 3 times. All of the indicator lights will go out and the screen will display “LCD Button Test.”
5.Press the “up” arrow button two times. The screen will display “Single Test Page”.
6.Press the “Start” button once.
7.This will start the Self-Test. Once the page has printed, the printer will stop. The test is not continuous.

[LD] this does not work the power button will not turn off
[LD] apparently this is a prominent problem with this unit
[LD] I was on the phone with your customer support and I was told there is no fix and the machine is only designed to last 6 months what's up with that?
[George] Okay,
[LD] I'm now reading all over the net that Lexmark is not standing behind these machines at all
[LD] I'm going to post what I was just told
[LD] hello?
[George] Okay, karyn.
[George] Have you connect the power cable directly to the wall outlet
[LD] yes I have done that
[George] please try connecting to different out let and check whether power button turn on and off
[LD] I have connected, reconnected, rebooted and reinstalled
[LD] it will not
[LD] you may want to read this information there's all information all over the internet about this piece of junk machine
[LD] http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/46998
[LD] are you unaware of the problem this machine presents?
[George] Please let me know when did you buy this printer?
[LD] about 6 months ago
[LD] I am told it is out of warranty
[LD] and I have NO intention of paying $100 to get this fixed
[LD] nor do I have intention of EVER purchasing another Lexmark machine
[George] I apologize for the inconvenience that may have caused to you.
[LD] it has caused great inconvenience
[LD] again
[LD] so now I have no printer and I will be responsible to purchase a new one when I just made this purchase 6 months ago.
[LD] someone should close Lexmark down they are entirely irresponsible as a company
[George] Unfortunately this appears to be a hardware failure and our records indicate that your printer is out of warranty.
Although we will not be able to provide service, I do have another option for you. Because we appreciate your business and want to reward you for being a loyal Lexmark customer, I can offer you 20\% discount
[LD] IS THIS SOME SORT OF A JOKE??????????
[LD] 20\% off a DEFECTIVE PIECE OF CRAP is 80\% more of my money than you will ever see again
[LD] I have every intention of copying this message and posting it all over the internet
[LD] THEN I have every intention of contacting EVERYONE who sells Lexmark and telling them NOT to do business with you any longer because they are selling JUNK
[LD] Then I intend to contact the BBB along with the thousands of other people who got scammed by you people and filing as many documents as I can so they eventually put you out of business
[LD] this has to be some sort of joke it really does
[LD] and then to put someone on a technical chat that has NO CLUE as to the problems the machine presents is worse than the problem itself This company should not even be in business
[LD] I will make a point to purchase a new printer today. It will NOT be a lexmark nor will I ever use your products ever again at home or in my business. I will make it a point to contact everyone I know and let them know about the cheap junk that this company is marketing and to beware of anything you sell
[LD] Thank you for not responding, you are simply confirming that I and hundreds of others are correct
[LD] Have a nice day.
[George] I apologize for the inconvenience that may have caused to you.
[LD] nice answer, lol
[LD] nothing compared to the inconvenience and loss of business this will cause YOU.
[LD] I just posted this to the message boards.
[LD] enjoy your day.

by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2008 at 10:30am Add comment
There was a very simple way to do this, I'm thinking possibly there were two versions of this machine. A simple piece of tape over the "button", "Switch" whatever you want to call it, solved the problem in 10 seconds. I had taken the entire machine apart, was looking for the gray/white piece(nowhere to be found) and tried connecting the grey piece of wire, all with no luck. Simply putting a small piece of black electrical tape over the tiny button solved the problem immediately.

I put the machine back together and started printing again.

What a shame Lexmark takes so little responsibility for their errors. This is a nice machine....sadly I'm sure there are many that were tossed when a simple fix was all that was needed.

Thanks for all the info here, you were all wonderful.
by unknown on Mar 19, 2008 at 6:27pm Add comment
What tiny button did you put the black tape over?My printer is saying cover open, and the cover is shut. - Anonymous
I finally completely fixed my lexmark printer issue by buying a new HP laser printer.
by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2008 at 5:49am Add comment
Thank you all for your help. I as well fixed my printer, but as someone else mentioned earlier, my paper is now being pulled to the right side and will not feed correctly. Can you help me figure out what to do? I would appreciate the help.

Thanks.
by Anonymous on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:19pm Add comment
I also have this printer and I utilized it at work. I had the exact same problem. I did an e-chat with the company: (John Doe] I had checked with my resources, I am really sorry to say, the hardware on the printer is defective. So you cant use the printer, but not to worry, if it is under warranty, then I will replace the printer with "Free shipment". [ME] Thank you. One more question...is this an inherent problem with this particular printer?
[John Doe] No, this will not happen. But it will happen very rarely.
This conversation was on January 26. I was told I would receive my replacement in 3-5 working days. After four more phone calls and requesting to speak to a manager, to whom I indicated that if I did not receive restitution this time, I would call and chat with the host on line of the popular television shopping channel I purchased it from, I received a replacement printer X3550 today. I wish I would have seen this sight in January.
by unknown on Mar 28, 2008 at 7:45am Add comment
Same issue, only the small micro pivot points on the nylon switch seem to have sheered off somehow, rendering it unable to snap back on the switch mount. It was fun taking the printer apart to get to this conclusion.

I was tempted to say we get what we pay for .. since this was on the very low end of the printer/scanner combo spectrum, but that this could have happened while simply lifting the cover to change a cartridge is sign of an amazingly poor design regardless of cost. I have had to tape mine over to get it functional again.
by unknown on Apr 4, 2008 at 4:49pm Add comment
thank you so much this saved me from buying a new printer. for all of you that have this problem it is not hard to fix and I found that if you shimmy nicely on the scanner part it comes off the printer completely and you don't have to take anything apart just work from the back of the printer. thanks again you are a life saver.
by Anonymous on Apr 16, 2008 at 1:35pm Add comment
Great site!

Thanks for the info! Got this piece of junk from a friend who had gotten a replacement from Lexmark. So now I have a printer.

I wonder how long time it will be until my the new one my friend got will break down.

Once again Thank you all, especially Rob M. Cheers.
by Anonymous on Apr 19, 2008 at 9:59pm Add comment
thank you very much for solving my problem with lexmark x3470. I not believe that a think of that type can happen. Why so much poverty in your design?
by unknown on May 22, 2008 at 11:52am Add comment
that was great, easy concise directions i appreciate it greatly.
by unknown on May 22, 2008 at 9:09pm Add comment
We just fixed ours too!!! Thanks for all the instructions. We are only on our 3rd cartridge and this time it gave us the COVER OPEN error too! So thanks to searching the internet and this website with pictures, we were able to fix it. No waiting for LEXMARK to help us, especially on a 3 day weekend!!! Thanks again!!!!
by unknown on May 25, 2008 at 6:23pm Add comment
Thank you for posting these directions.....I probably wouldn't have figured that out on my own.
by unknown on May 27, 2008 at 4:23pm Add comment
Thanks so much. Managed to fix my printer too using these instructions. Suggest take the advice to tape the lever down in closed mode once it's been re-attached. No sooner had I fixed it the first time then it fell off again! Taped it down now. IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. As for Lexmark, it won't happen again either. So annoying.
by Anonymous on Jun 12, 2008 at 7:23am Add comment
Thank you so much Rob I just fixed mine with your instruction, but I didn't have to take off the scanner (mostly because I couldn't figure out how to get the connectors disconnected). BTW I did this alone and I'm only 12.
by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2008 at 8:55pm Add comment
Thanks for this writeup. The lexmark site wasn't very helpful other than to tell me what the problem was. Anyway after a little surgery my printer is back up & running like a champ.
by Anonymous on Jun 22, 2008 at 11:37am Add comment
Please, somebody send me pics to repair my lexmark, because the links up not working.

Thanks a lot...
by kemdall on Jun 25, 2008 at 10:23am Add comment
I took it apart, I fixed it, I put it back together (with broken hinges), and now the paper pulls to the right???
by unknown on Jul 7, 2008 at 10:19pm Add comment
You'll remember some time ago I wrote how Lexmark had looked after me with my x3470 printer. Well unfortunately when I put in a new No 1 cartridge I got the dreaded cover open message.

I asked to speak to a manager, the switch girl put me through I stated my case and drew their attention to this page. they undertook to speak to one of their engineers and would contact me back.
After roughly three days I was called by one of the engineers who, after our conversation said, look I will send you out a x3550 a much better printer.
I thought that as he was in a giving mood I would ask for new cartridges foe the replacement as I had paid round $32 for the No1 cartridge that would be of no use.
To top it all off , within three days I now have a substantially more upmarket printer delivered to my door freight free.

So perhaps if you are like me who can't see to do the fix that you use, perhaps it would be O.K. to try my approach.

Regards.
Maurie
by Maurie on Aug 1, 2008 at 5:38am Add comment
tengo una impresora X3470 Lexmark cuando la enchufo o la conecto al recetaculo se queda con el boton de encender prendido pero no sale nada de menu copia, ecaner se queda en blanco por favor le agradesco que me ayuden
by unknown on Aug 6, 2008 at 1:45pm Add comment
Thank you for your post about the fixing the printer. Your methods were extremely descriptive and knowledgeable. Whomever designed that little arms for LEXMARK needs to be drawn and quartered. Thanks for the post and I am glad my printer works again.

Sincerely,

Matt
by unknown on Aug 6, 2008 at 4:51pm Add comment
This Worked, I picked this device for 3.99 at a thrift store and it works perfectly. Thanks for the help
by unknown on Aug 16, 2008 at 12:57pm Add comment
Thanks for the help with my printer,the cover open was repaired.But now, I have a problem,the printer doesn't make copy.It say"PUSH START TO PRINT PAGE" I did and I now have many alignments pages.It is crazy.Help me!!!!!!
by unknown on Sep 2, 2008 at 7:24am Add comment
Thank you Rob - you are a genious. Not only was I lucky enough to pick the right website for helpful information, but while my boss was fixing this wonderful piece of office equipment, I read all your messages outloud. There is nothing like spending part of an afternoon at work laughing, instead of being frustrated because you have a broken printer. Thanks Again!
by Anonymous on Sep 5, 2008 at 12:46pm Add comment
I urge you all to go to http://www0.epinions.com and sign up and write your 1 star review to let everyone else know not to buy this overpriced paper weight.
by unknown on Sep 19, 2008 at 11:27am Add comment
Re: Cover Open message. I found the white lever, which has 2 bumps on the inside of the slit end. The problem is that the microswitch also has 2 bumps - not 2 holes. I understand that the bump/hole idea is for pivoting. So that is one problem. Then, shouldn't there be some kind of spring? Once the arm that is part of the removed scanner activates the white lever, the white lever will stay down. Lastly, the very body of the micro switch gets in the way, ie., part of the micro switch ought to be able to pass thru the slit during pivoting, which is impossible. I think I will have to resort to the taping solution.
by Zeus928929 on Oct 24, 2008 at 7:13pm Add comment
If I can fix this anyone can. Great instructions Rob. Thank you!
by unknown on Oct 24, 2008 at 8:49pm Add comment
Can any one tell me what ink cartridge the x3470 takes before i buy?
by unknown on Nov 3, 2008 at 4:48pm Add comment
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

These instructions really work, having years of 'operation' experience as a kid helps a lot because you will drop the lever a few times.
by Anonymous on Nov 20, 2008 at 4:05am Add comment
same problem but with x3450. just tore off pc of paper, folded, stuck against sensor, now up and running. thnx for info about what causes "cover open" message
by Anonymous on Nov 21, 2008 at 8:25pm Add comment
Hi I have a lexmark x3450. Please give me a real solution to refill this printer cartrige.
Thank you very much.
by maca on Nov 24, 2008 at 4:54am Add comment
ok so my printer will not let me print anything, i have done everything possible. everytime i try to print something it will take the blank page and wait a minute then let it slide out without printing anything, i guess my computer thinks it print cause it doesnt say anything is wrong, idk what to do i need to print something for my job. someone please help me.
by sammiebaby on Dec 8, 2008 at 9:16pm Add comment
the paper does not fit to the printer,, papers are not symmetrical, how can i adjust it? thanx.
by unknown on Dec 18, 2008 at 8:44am Add comment
I had the same issue; everything worked great until trying to get the nylon lever arm back on; took me about 10 tries. It has to be at a slight angle. Also, make sure to put the cables back in before putting the top on; much easier. Thanks for all the help; it works!
by Anonymous on Dec 20, 2008 at 9:51am Add comment
Wow! My printer works now!!! Thanks so much for the detailed instructions!!!
by unknown on Jan 8, 2009 at 7:33pm Add comment
go to
http://www.fixya.com/support/t275649-lexmark_x3470
it has pictures.

The lever cap is facing up and pointing toward you. The lever sticks out farther than I thought it would.

And for all the twelve year olds, maybe it was easier for a twelve year olds b/c they have small hands. There is no way my husband could fix this. What a design flaw! This printer should have been recalled!
by Anonymous on Jan 25, 2009 at 7:32pm Add comment
Thank you very much...

My problem solved... :-)
by unknown on Mar 12, 2009 at 8:31am Add comment
Brilliant! Thank you so very much for this. What an annoyance this problem was but since it is my first printer and I inherited it I am happy to have one finally AND working!

I was fortunate enough to have those tiny surgeon fingers; all I did was remove the grey paper feed tray from the back of it, shine light through the front of it and place the piece onto my left index finger with my right hand to guide it into place. Not too bad!
by unknown on Mar 22, 2009 at 11:58pm Add comment
Just called Lexmark Canada 1 800 663 7662 spoke to customer service and got no satisfaction so i politely asked to speak to a manager, i explained the issue to the manager and told her the internet was full of people complaining of this issue, she said that Lexmark is fully aware of this problem and it is not fixable (ha ha)and if i would provide her with my name, address and serial # from printer she would be happy to ship me a replacement free of charge.
My printer was 17 mths old so i am not sure if they will replace ALL printers regardless of age or if there is a time limit, just remember be polite and if they offer you a free printer thank them, i intend to call the manager when i recieve my printer and thank her again, you attract more bees with honey than with vinegar
by unknown on Apr 21, 2009 at 2:56pm Add comment
Thanks to Rob I fixed the cover open problem but after printin several pages with no problem the printer said CLEAR CARRIER JAM so I looked inside and the clear plastic strip that I guess the ink carrier rides on has come off and the ink carrier just jams hard in both directions. Anyone know how I can fix this?
by unknown on Apr 23, 2009 at 3:53pm Add comment
I have the same problem as GMAjean. HELP!
by unknown on May 3, 2009 at 12:18pm Add comment
Thanks this steps helped me fix my problem. But the lever keeps on falling. Is there any permanent solution?
by unknown on May 12, 2009 at 10:56pm Add comment
I can't get my printer to scan. I have tried downloading softwear. But my stupid vista computer keeps restarting after the download and then nothing happens. What softwear do I need to be able to scan?!Please help...

by unknown on Jun 4, 2009 at 10:40am Add comment
So the irony: A few days ago I was complaining about loaning my printer/scanner out to someone because I didn't want them to break it - I rely on the scanner more than anything.
As soon as I get it back...I break it this way. Hah.

Thanks for the instructions, got it all fixed up! I was confused on how to put the white part on and I kept trying to look up the correct way, but finally I gave up and shoved it in. Snapped right in place! Printer is working great!
by Anonymous on Jul 19, 2009 at 6:15am Add comment
my lexmark x3470 doesn't pull the paper..
can anyone please help me??
by Marta_Martins on Jul 23, 2009 at 7:12am Add comment
here are some pics i took while working on mine. It took me a few minutes to figure out exactly what i was looking at but finally figured it out. I hope these help

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/gothmneph/IMG_5041.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/gothmneph/IMG_5042.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/gothmneph/IMG_5043.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/gothmneph/IMG_5044.jpg

by Anonymous on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:14pm Add comment
Brilliant!! Thankyou, have never taken anything like this apart before in my life. Simple instructions, workd a dream!!
by Anonymous on Aug 4, 2009 at 4:26pm Add comment
Awesome. It is 10/4/09. And this solution works like a charm even today! Thank you.
by Anonymous on Oct 4, 2009 at 6:51am Add comment
I'm glad you were smart enough to check around ;before giving.Up you never use support or take it to the store.At least until you exhaust all options.Those turkeys are standing buy; to take your money and make you pay thru the nose for any computer problems.!!!!
by unknown on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:50pm Add comment
THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting in detail the information about the circuit board!! My lever broke today, and we searched everywhere for a place for it! You're a life saver!! :-)
by Anonymous on Nov 20, 2009 at 8:31pm Add comment
Thank you for providing the info on this fix, after disconnecting ribbon and fine cables was able to wiggle scanner free. The white lever fell out when I shook it upside down and after a few attempts managed to click it back in place, without even using a screwdriver!
by Anonymous on Jan 12, 2010 at 3:22pm Add comment
If anyone is still out there...

I'm having the same issues, however I graduated from the "cover open" error to the blank display, won't turn off prob... I popped it open and my lever was fine, but I don't get the audible "click" when I move the switch... any thoughts how to replace or bypass it?

by Anonymous on Jan 24, 2010 at 10:15am Add comment
If anyone is still out there...

I'm having the same issues, however I graduated from the "cover open" error to the blank display, won't turn off prob... I popped it open and my lever was fine, but I don't get the audible "click" when I move the switch... any thoughts how to replace or bypass it?

by Anonymous on Jan 24, 2010 at 10:17am Add comment
I just repaired my printer on my own with the fantastic help of the online tecknician. A little lever arm on a switch under the cover had come loose and fell to the bottom. Had to remove cover and scanner to access fallen piece and replace little plastic arm on small button switch located behind the cartridge when cartdridge is in middle of printer.
by Anonymous on Jan 30, 2010 at 2:56pm Add comment
Wow, finally I was able to get the "Cover Open" error to disappear. I haven't printed or scanned anything since but the printer it has no more errors so far. I appreciate everyone's comments and pictures here and I know how important the details might be. So here's what I learned after a day of trial and error:

- After you remove the purple kickstand, scanner body, and the grey layer, the white flat ribbon can be carefully pulled out from the circuitboard side. But I didn't try to remove the colored electrical wires, you can just get someone to hold the (partially decapitated) scanner body upright while you work.

- You just need to get a clear vertical view of the circuitboard from the back side where the lever should go.

- The first time I took the lever out from the bottom and put it where it was supposed to go, the printer gave me a very strange phantom paper jam error. There was no paper anywhere near the printer. So I found this video for that: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1316324/fixing_lexmark_p6250_paper_jam/
So I tweaked the lever position from up to down...

- The second time, however, it gave me the 'Cover Open' error again. So I guess the sensor screwed up something else - and the lever arm was not completely snapped onto the black switch thingy.

- After disassembling and reassembling a couple times, I was able to 'snap' the white lever this time but it was a bit lower than I expected - it really does snap, even if it looks like the tiny inside arms are worn off on the white lever. That's what eventually should work.

- When putting everything back together, make sure not to get any ribbons or wires under the gray layer snap points.
Good luck!
by unknown on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:22am Add comment
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I fixed my printer today because of your awesome instructions.
Yes that little lever sux!!!!

You are my hero. Now back to printing my docs for class.

by unknown on Sep 28, 2010 at 2:28pm Add comment
My printer keeps saying to clear the paper jam, except there's NO paper in it! What do I do now?
by unknown on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:54pm Add comment
THANK YOU!!

I have this had printer sitting in the closet because I hadn't had it very long when this happened and I didn't want to just throw it out. I FIXED IT thanks to your instructions!!
by unknown on Jan 30, 2011 at 2:16pm Add comment
Thanks for the tips. After 5 years, the tips still work and the pen cap indeed works as a substitute...
by unknown on Nov 11, 2012 at 10:05am Add comment
I had this issue fixed within 2 minutes!

Tools used : 2-3" Needle Nose Pliers (micro)

Thank you OP! This is the second time I've had this issue and used this post. If I have it a third then I will glue the circuit closed!

Suggestion: Link this post to this printer's Wiki. Almost everyone who owns the x3470 is bound to have this happen someday.

Thank you for saving me $60!
Matt
by unknown on Feb 3, 2013 at 3:37am Add comment
It keeps on saying to remove the tape on the cartridge in the second stage of alignment, when you are scanning the alignment paper. There is NO TAPE ON THE CARTRIDGE!!! I need help!!!
by unknown on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:42pm Add comment
Please explain your problem, pictures are always nice and the exact make and model of the ink you are using. Pictures speak a thousand words. Have you found anything thus far?
by unknown on Mar 29, 2013 at 9:18pm Add comment