prdad007

asked Nov 20, 2006 at 9:41pm
Hp HP OfficeJet 7210

HP 7210 Right Cartridge error

My Hp printer is now an HP Anchor. Unless I pay Tech SUpport $30.00, they will not help me to correct this error. It's not the price, It's the extortion. Have any of you run in to the 'right cartridge error' on your 7210? I've got an unopened pack of Topps Baseball cards for the correct solution!

Thanks. And to "Bob" in India, no thanks!

Steve M.
by Stephen on Nov 24, 2006 at 5:52am Add comment
I have the same problem and I can see what happened to mine and I would suspect others as well. The spring that is pushed away by the cartridge when inserting came loose. It looks like a piece of plastic that secures it my have broke. When I put the next cartridge in it jammed the spring into the flex cable that has the interface to the cartridge. It appears a couple of my traces are cut. This is a poor design for sure. - unknown
I too have the spring problem mentioned by qqliniecki. Although I don't see any of my traces cut, the plastic piece that holds the spring is definately broke, the cartridge is not recognized and I cannot find any carriage parts on HP's parts site. Anyone have an idea where to get this part????
by bsweasel on Dec 19, 2006 at 7:26am Add comment
Your only option is to epoxy the spring in place. I did one and it worked ok. There are absolutely no parts available for this model. It is disposable.
by moe on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:43am Add comment
Hi, I pulled out the printer cartridge when it was stuck and now there's some tiny plastic part that's broken off and I can see an L-shaped wire (I think this is the spring) sticking out of the back of the empty cartridge holder. I don't think anything else is damaged, but when I replace the print cartridge and shut the cover the print cartridge fault light flashes. I think this is the same problem that you fixed by epoxying the spring in place, but I'm not sure I understand exactly where the spring should go, or that I'm identifying the parts correctly. A diagram (or more explicit instructions for a beginner?) would really help! Thanks so much.

- mahbuban
I've exactly the same problem - broken spring connection has allowed the spring has pushed into wires at back and cut them when installing a new cartridge - have been quoted £150 to fix it - definitely a disposable item this printer.

HP say it is not a design fault - crap.

Hello Canon - let's see if you can do better. Anyone any recommendations?
by unknown on Feb 8, 2007 at 3:20am Add comment
Same problem you are all describing. I will try the glue and if that doesnt work, I guess we will have to get a new printer. I wonder what it takes to get a recall going?
by Anonymous on Apr 5, 2007 at 5:30pm Add comment
There are some parts available, but I don't see a carriage listed.

PartSurfer does not know about all consumer products parts.
by Stephen on Apr 5, 2007 at 7:54pm Add comment
Hi I'm in London and yes I have exactly the same problem, broken plastic retainer has enabled the spring to punch holes in the flex board behind the cartridge and two tracks are broken, has anyone had any result in fixing the broken tracks, they look pretty stuffed. This is very dissapointing indeed. What are their responsibilities under recycling as we might as well try and make them incurr some cost. Anyone got any recommendations of what to buy next??
by unknown on Jul 22, 2007 at 1:05am Add comment
Muttley do something!!

The sale of goods act in the UK protects you from substandard goods for up to six years.

Take the printer back to the place where you bought it.
You do not need a receipt, a bank or credit card statement showing that you made a payment will do.

The part securing the spring is too weak, so the printer is not fit for purpose.
There are other models that use that same cartridge that also have this fault.

Sale of goods act
http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

PLEASE try this.
Let us know how you get on.

by mcprinter on Jul 22, 2007 at 9:09am Add comment
I'm in Kent and we had our 7210 for just over a year. Luckily we took out an insurance type policy (called PC Performance)with PC World costing around £3.00 a month for after the warranty expired - and then last week the printer died with this same fault everyone else is having. Result - engineer comes out to repair it and can't because there are no parts available (apparently HP won't sell parts to a third party so no parts will ever be available) we now have to wait for vouchers from PC World to get a new model. But why do HP make these 'disposable' machines, they're surely not meant to be disposable right? What a shower ... just wondering if it's worth staying with HP or going to another make which is more reliable.
by silversapphire on Aug 17, 2007 at 1:12am Add comment
Please read this thread where HP has graciously extended the warranty and sent a new printer as a replacement. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913#1
by moe on Sep 29, 2007 at 9:27am Add comment
SWEET!

This forum kicks ass!

I called HP tech support at 1-800-474-6836 and told them that I read that this is a common problem (the spring breakage and pierced ribbon) and at first they told me that there was nothing they could do because it's out of warranty.

But with a little gentle prodding and the mention of a possible class action suit, he put me on hold, then came back with ...
"I was mistaken sir. We do have a product recall for the 7210. Here's your reference number..."

Apparently, this is a know problem , but they always need to check with a supervisor before they realize that it's a "Known Issue".

Then I was transferred to hardware repair where they explained that a new unit will be shipped to us and I'll have to return the old unit. They did take a credit card for collateral, but this is standard procedure (I did the same thing with an HP computer).

I chose the free ground shipping option, but I'm sure you could pay for faster shipping.
I got a tracking number, and I'll let you all know hoe it goes!

Thanks Forum Peeps for the heads up!
~Zach
by zgambino on Nov 17, 2007 at 11:48am Add comment
Fortunately, you are in the US. Give up on fixing it and read this thread http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913#
by moe on Dec 15, 2007 at 11:33am Add comment
Hi Moe, sorry, I guess I posted to the wrong thread, b/c my printer's not one of the ones covered for replacement. It's a Deskjet 5550, but it seems like the problem might be fixable in the same way...?
by mahbuban on Dec 17, 2007 at 11:21am Add comment
I got "Louie" who offered me more: a replacement machine! Then I got a phone call from "Mike" who wanted my credit card number. What's with HP, anyway?
by Anonymous on Jan 21, 2008 at 6:48pm Add comment
The credit card number is just to make sure you send them the old printer back. They won't charge it unless you fail to do so. - moe
If I give them a credit card number, what will they send me?
by Anonymous on Jan 22, 2008 at 7:51am Add comment
Read that other thread I referenced above. That is the main thread for this problem.
by moe on Jan 22, 2008 at 9:58am Add comment
Hi everyone,

I bought my OfficeJet 7210 about 4 months ago now and finally came round to change the cartridge on the weekend (I dont print a HUGE amount). Well needless to say, i have done what many have done before me. The little spring popped out and dented, possibly cut the ribbon cable behind. Im just wondering, what is the spring for? could i remove just the spring if my ribbon cable isnt cut to get the printer working again?

I only ask, so in depth, as i no longer have the box for my printer. And to make matters worse i can't even find my purchase receipt although im sure that will turn up in time.

To complicate matters a little further, i am in the UK

All in all, what are my chances?

Thanks in Advance

P.S. excellent Website and forum, keep up the good work!!
by unknown on Feb 13, 2008 at 6:11am Add comment
Hi All,

I have had this problem a couple of times now, really starting to annoy me, just before the ink runs out the thing sods up and does this right cartridge error message.

Well last time i returned it 2 pc world, they sorted it, now it's out of warranty so phoned HP. they tried to put me off saying there was nothing they could do as the warranty was out, after pointing out the facts, they said they would send me a new one.

It will be interesting to see if they have fixed the design now (almost 2 years from when this came out)

Al.
by unknown on May 23, 2008 at 2:55am Add comment
Okay thanks to this thread and the other one I have just arranged for my 7210 to be replaced *IN THE UK* by doing the following.

Call 0844 369 0369

You will get an operator, initially when I called they said that I would need to call an out of warranty number which is 0906 477 0477. I called this and the first thing mentioned was that the call will cost 60p *PER MINUTE*. I hung up and recalled the first number.

I patiently explained the problem and that HP were aware of this and that I was not prepared to pay 60p per minute for them to fix a problem that they knew about. The operator said that he would pass me onto Technical Support.

I explained to the technical support the problem as detailed above and again that this was a known HP problem and was referenced at their site at the h10025.www1.hp.com site. He tried to access this page and, which made me laugh, said that he was having problems with his virus checker........

Anyway whilst we were waiting he said that he was aware of the problem and put me on hold for about 5 minutes. On his return he said that he would definately be replacing the printer and that he was now starting up the exchange software so that he could log the delivery.

He took my name, address, telephone number and said that he could confirm the printer will be delivered next Monday 2nd June 2008 (posting this Tuesday 27th May 2008 so four working days in effect.

I asked him about the returns of the defective unit and he said that there would be a letter with the delivery explaining who to contact so that they will come here and collect the defective printer.

From start to finish 45 minutes. So if you are in the *UK* this would appear to be the route to take. As has been mentioned earlier be polite, be firm but not to the point where you offend.

There was, however, no mention of extended warranty, annoyingly I forgot to ask, so I will email support now that I have my Customer ID and Case number, as result of the system having to log me, and ask about this.

I asked for a number to call if there were any problems and he said use the same number and quote customer ID and Case Number and it would all be fine.

So there you have it.

Many thanks to the people here who have done the ground work on this issue and I hope that this will help those of us based in the UK.

Take care

David D.
by unknown on May 27, 2008 at 2:09am Add comment
As an addendum to the above posting, due to the fact that I was using the other thread as reference I repeatedly mentioned that it was the "Cartridge Chute x-bias spring breakage" issue and that this was referenced at the Hewlett Packard website page h10025.2221.hp.com web page".

At no time was I asked to do any sort of diagnostics on the printer.

Hope that this helps.

Take care

David D>
by unknown on May 27, 2008 at 2:13am Add comment
Could do with some help. Have just tried HP and got some stroppy guy denying all knowledge.

Maybe a case number would jog their memory or something, any help appreciated

thanks - sjgprc
it worked what zach said. just stay on the line and tell them it is not acceptable that their product is faulty. if they try to say that the serial number starts with m53xxxx and they needed to be m55xxxxx or higher dont buy it. say its ok i understand. i need you to understand that it is not acceptable. the product has a recall it. really does they admitted to me on the phone. so say it is a recall and that means it must be recalled no exceptions. i was on the phone for 1 hour! they kept putting me on hold. be nice but firm until you get it. then they will need credit card for colletral and will say you will get it in 5-7 days. be nice and keep saying thank you and how great they are. and say you tried to fix it on ur own but its unfixable. also mention the class action law suit if ur really need to win the battle its ur ace. play it wisely. good luck. thanks to everyone love
ck

read Zach's post below
"SWEET!

This forum kicks ass!

I called HP tech support at 1-800-474-6836 and told them that I read that this is a common problem (the spring breakage and pierced ribbon) and at first they told me that there was nothing they could do because it's out of warranty.

But with a little gentle prodding and the mention of a possible class action suit, he put me on hold, then came back with ...
"I was mistaken sir. We do have a product recall for the 7210. Here's your reference number..."

Apparently, this is a know problem , but they always need to check with a supervisor before they realize that it's a "Known Issue".

Then I was transferred to hardware repair where they explained that a new unit will be shipped to us and I'll have to return the old unit. They did take a credit card for collateral, but this is standard procedure (I did the same thing with an HP computer).

I chose the free ground shipping option, but I'm sure you could pay for faster shipping.
I got a tracking number, and I'll let you all know hoe it goes!

Thanks Forum Peeps for the heads up!
~Zach"

by unknown on Jun 4, 2008 at 4:09pm Add comment
I should have posted earlier but the replacement 7210 arrived last Friday not Monday as specified. It looks like a new unit and not a recondition job but still has a serial number in the range. However the ribbon cable looks to be a different design than the old one so we will see what happens.

So to reiterate if you are in the United Kingdom and have this "issue" folow the above guidelines and they will replace the unit.

Take care

David D.
by unknown on Jun 4, 2008 at 4:16pm Add comment
Hi

Can you tell me how old your printer was

Thanks - Anonymous
As a little update,

after having said they would replace the 7210 and giving me a delivery date, nothing happened, so phoned up again to see what was going on to be told they would now not replace the printer and that if we had a problem with this we should raise a compliant with their customer service team. so this done and still not willing to issue a replacement.

It seems they are now denning any known faults with the printer and even saying that the US model is not the same as the UK model so we would not have the same problem!

So i guess it's time to take it to the next level.

What fun, aren't HP great, not.

Al.
by unknown on Jun 16, 2008 at 3:03am Add comment
I just got off the phone with HP. They tell me they are aware of the problem with the printers and are repacing them out of warrantee. Threy just replaced mine. If the small tab holding the spring on the cartridge breaks call HP and tell them they have a service bullitin on it. They will replace the unit.

by marcbg on Jul 3, 2008 at 12:28pm Add comment
Something tells me you're from the UK. Somewhere near Watford. There were some people from the UK on the main thread who had success. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913#1
by moe on Jul 17, 2008 at 10:32am Add comment
Just stumbled into the same problem with my 2 year old 7210. Replaced the cartridges and got the error for the black right side cartridge. I went thru all the 'solutions' from HP's support website, none worked. Found this support forum and then checked my spring and plastic tab. sure enough, tab gone, loose spring and indented cable wire.
I called tech support, was offered a discount on a new printer. I declined and asked for a free replacement, as this a typical case of poor workmanship. I got 'escalated' to this number (801-944-1180). The guy took all my info and promised me a new printer, gave me a choice of free 5 day shipping or 1 business day for $23. He also gave me a CSO number so I can track the progress.

So, my thanks to all you guys on this forum for getting me on track for my free replacement.
by jd2811 on Dec 16, 2008 at 12:00pm Add comment
Just got the error for the black right side cartridge on My HP 7210. I had a Remanufactured HP 96 cartridge in the printer which was working fine for about two months. The spring is not broke in my printer. I took out the cartridge and reinstalled in several times but it did not work. I replaced the remanufuctred black cartridge with a geniune HP 96 and bingo this error went away. Either something went bad with the circuitry on the cartridge or HP built something into the printer that won't allow remanufactured cartridges to work very long.
by unknown on Apr 5, 2009 at 8:33pm Add comment
I had this error and replaced the cartridge (which was not very old) with a brand new one (HP brand). This fixed the problem and all is well.
by unknown on Jul 12, 2010 at 6:47am Add comment
Our spring broke as well and we keep getting the error mentioned above. The 801.944-1180 number is no longer good. We tried repairing the product w/o any luck based on postings we saw that gave directions on how to do this. I hate putting this thing in a landfill when it was working just fine.
by unknown on Jan 27, 2011 at 12:26pm Add comment
I have been getting the chec k right cartridge message off and on for about a week. I tried a new cartridge, which works for a while, and then the message returns. I finally tried cleaning the print cartridges by doing the following:
Make sure you have paper in printer
Press SETUP
Press 6 and then 1

So far my printing has returned to normal
by datoad on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:03am Add comment
Place color cartridge in black slot. Do NOT close the clamp. Remove the color cartridge and replace with the black. Align and continue.
by unknown on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:17pm Add comment