unknown

asked Sep 2, 2006 at 1:13am
Canon Canon MultiPass MP390

Canon MP390 Paper Feed Problem

My Canon MP 390 will not feed paper correctly. Time after time it feeds at an angle so the result is a big jam. The sheet of paper is always grabbed on its right side only(facing the back of the printer) and the result is a big jam. Is something hung up that does not allow the paper to feed evenly and smoothly? Help please.
I am having the same problem, I had a paper jam, once I cleared it, now I have this grinding noise and the paper will no longer feed through. I wonder did you find a solution for your problem, I would be interested to hear what you did.

Any clues on how to take this thing apart, its very maddening to buy something and have it go only a month out of warranty.
by Shakeyswife on Sep 30, 2006 at 1:53pm Add comment
I've had this error for the last 2 months (MP 150 though) and periodically tried to fix it. I heard a grinding noise after the following step, but resolved with step 2.

- I finally read a suggestion to try to push something thicker than a plain sheet of paper through. I cut a side of a manilla folder into a 8.5"x11" and let the printer try to grab it during a copy. After doing it's normal "grab the right side until it's skewed and stop", I continued to try to push it through. I wasn't able to push it to the printing area, but I saw that a piece of something (not much bigger than a bread crumb) came out of the feeder into the interior print area.

- I tried another copy, and it was very slightly improved but still skewing and jamming the paper. Suggest unplugging it before performing this...I then lifted the interior piece of plastic (white color for my Pixma MP 150 - which would be located above the paper as it was fed into the print area) slightly to allow any jammed items to come through. Out comes small pieces and then a larger piece of cracker (about the size of 1/4 a cheez-it). Ok I feel dumb, but I'm glad I found something.

I picked out the crumbs and did a careful vacuum in the interior and exterior paper feed. Slight warning: The foam bottom below the ink is not secured and will get sucked up by the hose. And note, that I did try vacuuming the intake and interior previously with no improvement. The nozzle on my vacuum is too large to get into the bottom of the exterior intake.
- For good measure, I also picked up the printer and turned it upside down and shook vigorously in a couple angles. I saw a couple more small crumbs come out.

* My printer is now feeding the paper correctly and successfully made a copy/print.

Hope this helps.
by creativeguy on May 18, 2007 at 10:24am Add comment
Kudos to CreativeGuy! What did we find in the paper feed path? A tiny grey piece of lego (you know the ones with only 2 bumps on them to attach to other stuff). What else do we have? Cats. We thought it was cute when they sat on the printer and prepared to pounce on that whirring, noisy box (our printer). Little did we know they were depositing their playthings there too.

I was about to toss my printer in the bin (my printer is a similar Canon Pixma MP490). Our family had suffered thru months of aggravating paper feed / no paper error messages (when in fact I've obviously got paper in the feeder!!!)and so when absolutely necessary we've been printing from our other printer (in my home office).

How'd I fix my printer:

FIRST - I tried following creativeguy's steps and my manilla folder sheet cut down to 8.5x11 jammmed as he described. I tried a thicker piece cut from a letter size hanging folder; it jammed even faster but always it was the LEFT SIDE that didn't feed into the printer (viewed from the back). I had even tried feeding these THICKER sheets backwards thru the printer from front to back where finished prints usually come out. No joy; only got half way thru. This both frustrated me and gave me confidence (we had a dirty printer path and something neede to clean it out). Certainly the jam was going to be a foreign object nearer to the input paper feed tray so then I tried to gain better access to it (can't see in there well or reach in from the input paper feed tray... SO INSTEAD...).

THEN I re-opened the printer under the copying glass (normal access to replace the printer cartridges; and with the printer unplugged / powered off so the ink cartridges don't move in your way...) I reached in with 1 hand and realized I could feel all the way back to the paper input feed path and I could turn something. That didn't do it so I tried to lift the assembly (sort of stretch it up away from what would be the top of an input paper sheet) to widen the path more open and this seemed to flex without breaking but gravity was keeping any stuff in there.

So FINALLY I put the printer on the kitchen counter, carefully turned it 90 degrees so now the back side was down (balancing the printer with my other hand) I opened it to the ink cartridge area again, reached over the print assembly with 1 hand again to the paper input path and again tried to lift it up and THERE IT WAS! A plunk. Something had fallen out. 1 little piece of LEGO.

BIG THANKS TO CREATIVE GUY - because we loved our Canon MP printer when it worked before (so simple and versatile) until the paper jam hiatus. Thanks for giving us our family printer back.

Appreciatively,

Guy with 1 thing finally marked off the "honey-do list". - aclr8
Thanks creativeguy that worked on my MP360 :)
by Jooles on Jan 21, 2008 at 5:51pm Add comment
My cat seems to have shoved a lot of sh** into the feeder in the past two years that it was out of use. So far, I've managed to unclog from the printer a thick twisty tie (the wirey things to tie plastic bags) and a tiny piece of torn crumpled paper. Can anyone tell me how to unjam the rest of god-knows-what out of my printer?
by unknown on Mar 2, 2008 at 3:55pm Add comment
I have followed advice of creativeguy but initially it didn't help me, after couple of retries I pulled a jammed paper through the printer and a cheerio careal appeared. Now printer works like new!
Don't ask me how cheerio ended up in my priner :-P
by unknown on Jul 2, 2008 at 8:21pm Add comment
Thankyou so much, mine was doing the exact same thing so i turned it upside down and a pen fell out. It now works perfectly!
by unknown on Aug 15, 2009 at 7:51am Add comment
thanx, this method worked for me too. A crayon came out of mine. hehehe.....
by Anonymous on Mar 7, 2010 at 5:17pm Add comment
Wow! Thank you very much! I'm having the same problem with my Canon MP198 and I tried turning it upside down and a ballpen came out ha ha! My printer is working now :-) Thank you and Godbless!
by unknown on Mar 28, 2010 at 7:07am Add comment
Oh my gosh. I feel like a right numpty.
It's fixed it for me too!!!
by Anonymous on May 22, 2010 at 5:29am Add comment
Worked great for my Canon MP450. Managed to get a grip on the jammed paper and pulled it out. And what came out? A Nintendo DS stylus!
by unknown on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:49am Add comment
First I couldn't believe that Google took me to this website - and it does exactly what it says on the tin!

So, even though I had performed a gymnastics routine of jiggling printer around previously, I set about the job with renewed vigour (spurred on at the embarrassing thought that an engineer may retrieve a piece of lego or a sour worm)

Ta da – packet of hayfever tablets (with possibly a few missing)

Now printing happily again and no money spent on embarrassing call out!
by amandajf on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:29am Add comment
I read your posts and was laughing quietly to myself about such simple solutions, and such bizarre causes. Laughing quietly, that is, until I follwed your advice and found the cause of my jam..

It would appear that a small fish, from my adjacent aquarium, had leapt out, jammed itself in the printer and therin breathed its last.
by unknown on Sep 28, 2010 at 4:46am Add comment
Cracked me up! rotfl The paper wasn't feeding in on my printer so turned it upside down and a pencil fell out! Has gouge marks on it from where it was jamming up the mechanism. Thanks :)
by PixmaMP210 on Oct 16, 2010 at 4:37pm Add comment
USB stick came out of mine!!
So glad I found this thread!
by unknown on Jan 8, 2011 at 4:11pm Add comment
Foil from soft cheese carton here. Even after clearing 1st bit of foil it was still a problem till we found another bit of foil where the ink cartriges move across. Couldn't have done it without your help, cheers
by unknown on May 2, 2011 at 1:52pm Add comment
Unbelievable! I just saved $230 (cost of a new printer) by following these instructions. The culprit was a compacted tissue. Thankyou - this printer is a fantastic machine - just right for our home office needs.
by unknown on May 5, 2011 at 2:50am Add comment
Great Instructions! The offender was a tiny twisty tie. I have a MP490 and what I did was find cardboard, very similar to a manila folder, cut it to the size of 8.5 x 11 paper, and do a psuedo copy. This means I copied nothing, and the printer "printed" nothing back, but forced the cardboard through. Looking inside the printer, to the left, was my demon. All is good now with my Canon.
by unknown on May 9, 2011 at 6:48am Add comment
OK, this is just plain weird. Same problem with my Canon MP220. I shook the thing, nothing comes out. I then force a piece of paper to get stuck, which it does, open the top and there, on top of the paper is a 2 pence coin. How? Where? As I say, just weird. Works fine now.
by unknown on May 23, 2011 at 10:23am Add comment
I am so glad I found this post! I found two pens in my machine. one where the paper goes in and the other where the paper comes out. Both placed there by our new kitten who thinks the printer is a jungle jim!

by unknown on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:47am Add comment
A MILLION THANK-YOUS CREATIVE GUY!!! I CUT OUT THE BACK OF AN EXAM PAD BOARD THEN LET IT PRINT. AFTER IT JAMMED I PUSHED IT AS FAR AS IT WOULD GO THEN I PULLED IT OUT FROM THE PAPER FEEDER SIDE. OUT CAME AN ERASER FROM THE TOP OF MY PENCIL. YOU ARE A GENIUS AND SAVED ME MAEGA BUCKS!!!! THANKS AGAIN!
by ReddyC on Nov 24, 2011 at 11:24pm Add comment
Thank you creative guy!!! I cut down a piece of thick poster board to 8.5x11 and helped it through till I felt resistance when it was about to jam. Then I manually pulled it through in it's normal feeding direction and then the resistance went away. Works perfectly again and no repair bills. Thanks for saving the day for all of us, not to mention a few dollars.
by unknown on Dec 6, 2011 at 11:05am Add comment
OMG!!! I tried exactly what that guy suggested with my MP 490, feeding the manila folder, then kept making feeds in different ways until the paper was jamming and I forcefully, but carefully, pulled it out by lifting the scanning plate and reaching in, and when I pulled it out...a pill popped out!!! Seriously. Still in disbelief, and grateful.
by four6speed on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:25pm Add comment
Mine was a clip from my sons football net, surprised so much stuff ends up in there.
by unknown on Jan 24, 2012 at 12:46pm Add comment
Thanks mine was a gum wrapper
by unknown on Feb 27, 2012 at 4:27pm Add comment
Wow, I was NOT expecting to find anything, but there it was - half a peanut. This one has my cat's name written all over it. Thanks SO MUCH! You all have saved me so much grief and possibly money.
by unknown on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:38am Add comment
ummm....so I was skeptical....I tried everything else I could find on the web. Last resort...turned it upside down and a box cutter razor fell out.
by unknown on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:29pm Add comment
Amazing....worked like a farm for me too. I got a bamboo stick out of my feeder.
by unknown on Aug 15, 2012 at 3:50am Add comment
Kudos to CreativeGuy! Over 5 years later and your tip still works like a charm! I found a button in my MP480! Now it works like it's brand new.
by unknown on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:44pm Add comment
OMG. I have spent hours today trying to figure this out. I, too, followed the directions on my Epson printer and the first time it still jammed but when getting the paper out, a small nail was found. The printer returned to excellent printing with no feeder problems - thank you. Saved me some dollars as I was going to take it to a service man in the morning. Wow!
by Poncers1 on Aug 26, 2012 at 7:47pm Add comment
Thanks to CreativeGuy, I found metal spring, which is missing somewhere in the Pixma MP280 printer now. However it works!
by unknown on Sep 9, 2012 at 6:35am Add comment
It works!!!! Omg omg omg!!!
by unknown on Oct 3, 2012 at 8:24am Add comment
My printer feed sticking so was on my way out to buy new one. Read your post Creative Guy- Started to get a bit suspicious-I have 2 cats who like to lie on printer! Feed cardboard back of refill pad through printer and yes- there it was an piece of an eraser! Thought I saw them playing with that the other day!
Thank you so much you have saved me 70 quid coming up to Christmas! Really important in this global/economic climate to recyle, re-use and get back to mending instead of spending!

Thank you again.

Angela
by unknown on Dec 9, 2012 at 4:01pm Add comment
A used bandaid came out of my printer.

Thank you very much CreativeGuy!
by unknown on Jan 16, 2013 at 2:08am Add comment
Thank you thank you thank you! Canon Pixma mp490. The difference is I knew what was stuck in mine! Hard cat food. About six months ago when it stopped feeding paper I shook the crap out of it and got two pieces out. But it still wouldn't work. I however still needed a scanner so I just let is stay on in the house. Finally at a place where I could go buy a new one I decided I'd try one more time, I took the two screws off of the back, which of course gave me access to just about nothing and opened all access points to the inside and shook the crap out of it again, after two more pieces of cat food fell out I got stupid excited just to be let down again when I still wouldn't feed paper more than two inches even though I could hear the feeders turning inside. rrrrrr. So GOOGLE here I come, and found Creativeguy's post. So I grabbed an old flat mailer, my quilting rotary tool and cut it down to paper size and held pressure on it so when the feed rollers started to turn it would have to choice to suck it in. And to my surprise it came out printed on the other side, then I hear a ping and saw a flash before my eyes, what lay on the floor your might ask yourselves? Why yes another damn piece of cat food! Thank you!!!! My printer works again, not buying a new one!
by unknown on Feb 1, 2013 at 3:22pm Add comment
I tried turning it upside down after coming up on this site and it solved my problem!! Thank you so much!! The cap of my wireless USB had somehow ended up in there causing a big mess.
by unknown on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:36am Add comment
Yep...I called cannon, then looked up google, then started fiddling with my printer like CRAZY! I had a hair tie stuck in mine, go figure!
by unknown on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:50am Add comment
Yes, too funny as we also found something stuck in our printer...a picture nail. It did not come out when shaken but it came out easily by putting thicker paper in the printer.
by unknown on Apr 5, 2013 at 3:21pm Add comment
I ran into the same problem, while trying to print a very important document I might add! I tried everything...cleaning the rollers through the computer, cleaning them manually...everything! I finally found this forum and after shaking the printer and nothing coming out I tried feeding some thin cardboard through the printer. Low and behold out pops a tiny bead. Problem sloved! Thank you so much!!
by unknown on Apr 22, 2013 at 10:58pm Add comment
Thanks for the tip creativeguy, I fixed my mother-in-law's Canon to find a small, obsolete coin wrapped in a small amount of kids' putty... or something. This is a printer-saving thread if I ever read one!
by unknown on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:03am Add comment
You're not going to believe me anyway... but blame the cat, as Emmy has taken over the top shelf of the computer desk and kicked off everything in her way. I tried this method and out popped.... a dog's tooth. My elderly dog had dropped it on the floor and I tossed it on the shelf and forgot about it... until it clogged up my printer... Thanks for the help.
by unknown on Jul 27, 2013 at 9:30pm Add comment
An iPod shuffle charger fell out of mine!! Thanks so much for the advice - was on the point of buying a new one...
by AnnaE on Nov 21, 2013 at 6:31am Add comment
how did the candy wrapper get in there?! and now printer works just fine...!
by unknown on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:44pm Add comment
Thank you. Followed your steps and worked perfectly. Found my sister hair band. lol
by tango965 on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:09am Add comment
Check if you don't have a small piece of paper sick in the paper path if not replace the sep pad and pickup roller
by jptredoux on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:54am Add comment
THANK YOU creativeguy!! My printer hasn't been feeding for a couple of months and I finally got around to looking up how to fix it. The manilla folder worked like a charm and apparently there was some food debris in there - god only knows where it came from!

Thanks a million!
by unknown on May 28, 2014 at 11:40am Add comment
Different printer but the method still works, well done creativeguy, 7 years on the advice is going strong :). My jam was caused by a half eaten monster munch :)the card sort of pulled the thing back out of the rear feed tray, rather than pushing it through.
P.s I own up to having neither cats nor kids :/
by rmcconn on Jun 27, 2014 at 9:08am Add comment
Thank you!!! Two AAA batteries fell out of my Canon MP 280 and it works fine now!!! You rock!!!
by unknown on Jul 15, 2014 at 3:00pm Add comment
Damn, vacuuming worked! :D
by unknown on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:29pm Add comment
OMG! Thank you! I couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with my printer so I followed your suggestion, creativeguy, and I found a thumbtack in there. I was already dreading having to buy another printer lol
by unknown on Aug 12, 2014 at 7:39am Add comment
Thanks CreativeGuy.

Mine was a large plastic cog completely unrelated to the printers workings.

Can't believe this worked.
by unknown on Aug 25, 2014 at 6:26pm Add comment
It's crazy but it works. After *violently* shaking it upside-down *repeatedly* it finally coughed up a pushpin, and now I can print again. Some kind of guard around the paper feeder would be a good idea.
by unknown on Nov 18, 2014 at 12:01pm Add comment
Thank you!!! I shook and shook my Canon MG 6220 but nothing came out. I got a flashlight and found the culprit...a plastic nub from the bottom of my paper cutter which has adhesive was stuck inside. I wouldn't have even looked if it weren't for your advice, and I was about to get a new printer!
by unknown on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:10pm Add comment
This is amazing. It worked.
I had the same problem with my MP160 and came to this site. I followed the creativeguy's instruction, feed a thick paper, clean the feeder, shook and shook but nothing came out. So I decided to put away to get rid of it and then when I tilt it, I found something at the feeder. Took out with tweezers and it was my portable Moxibustion with sticky bottom. After removing it, it worked perfectly. Thanks so much!
by unknown on Feb 7, 2015 at 2:57pm Add comment
I just bought a canon pixma 516 and I'm getting really frustrated because almost every time I try to print, I get an error message that says no paper loaded even though the paper is in the correct tray and there's plenty of it. If I adjust the paper, and make sure it's flawlessly aligned, then occasionally it will print but after printing the first couple of pages, it goes back to having a "no paper" error. Please advise!
by unknown on Mar 14, 2015 at 4:30am Add comment
I just bought a canon pixma 516 and I'm getting really frustrated because almost every time I try to print, I get an error message that says no paper loaded even though the paper is in the correct tray and there's plenty of it. If I adjust the paper, and make sure it's flawlessly aligned, then occasionally it will print but after printing the first couple of pages, it goes back to having a "no paper" error. Please advise!
by unknown on Mar 14, 2015 at 4:40am Add comment
Haha, found a pen cap and an onion peel.

This post was awesome, thanks!
by unknown on Apr 4, 2015 at 9:14pm Add comment
Inherited my pixma mp460, tried EVERYTHING suggested here and nothing worked. Do I take it out back and shoot it out of it's misery or am I missing something?
by unknown on Apr 27, 2015 at 7:42pm Add comment
Hilarious! I only tried because of the number of responses. Sort of thought comments might be pranks. I got the printer to grab thin cardboard, pulled it back out from the feeder and looked in the area near the ink. There was a pink hair tie! Thanks a million!
by Arountree on May 29, 2015 at 7:26pm Add comment
SO glad I found this feed! At first I thought, "Could all of these people that have the same paper feed problem as I do really have it resolved by shaking/pushing out some phantom little random object that's been hiding in their printer?"
Then, as I read post after post and the list of items got longer and longer, i knew this had to be my problem too, and I couldn't wait to see what was hiding in my Canon MP280 !
Answer: One AAA battery, the bottom half of a retractable ball point pen casing, and a dried flower stem and a tiny bit of dried leaves from a dried flower arrangement that had fallen over on the shelf above my printer.
My hubby and I had a good chuckle over it.
Thanks for posting, Creative Guy.... you're a real hero! ;-)
by unknown on Jun 6, 2015 at 7:23pm Add comment
I was reading all the responses after the one by creativeguy, thinking...... what a bunch of idiots. How would you not know if something was in the feeding area. But nothing else was working. So I unplug the printer, look inside and see nothing. As soon as I inverted it, out pops a pen top! So, I guess I am the idiot. Thanks, creativeguy. Problem solved
by unknown on Aug 6, 2015 at 6:15pm Add comment

Thank you very much, the creative guy is such a blessing.May God bless you always. :')

by MIKALODIAN on Jan 15, 2016 at 6:48pm Add comment

After shaking and looking with a torch, couldn't find anything... After reading this thread, the thick paper trick (with a bit of pushing to get it through) produced a piece of very sticky blu-tack! Thanks!

by sofiaa on Apr 16, 2016 at 6:10am Add comment

brilliant! thanks everyone......I found a cooker and a frig in the back of mine!!

by sillyme on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:23am Add comment

pushed a piece of white carton halfway through and wrapped aroind the feedroller bar is necklace metal chain. Took it out.

by MrHappy on Jan 6, 2017 at 1:09am Add comment

When I first read this, I had to read the comments section to see if it was legit... after scanning the first ten in a row that had success, I couldn't wait to shake it. I beat that printer like an old TV! All that fell out was a piece of confetti, and a small piece of hard lint. Now, it works. I knew 4 years with an HP printer wasn't enough. They're awesome. You're awesome. These stories made my day!!

by Lassie on Feb 18, 2017 at 7:37pm Add comment