unknown

asked Jul 5, 2006 at 9:37pm
Hp HP CopyJet Color

hp psc 2410 photosmart all-in-one

i have a hp psc 2410 photosmart printer and one day it just started making a weird noise after i turned it on. the color display flip-up small screen on the printer just has an hourglass working constantly and i have already tryed to restore it but to no avail. When I turn it on it makes the same repeatative noise over and over again and then after a minute it goes off but the hourglass is still on the screen and the the printer power light just blinks, none of the other lights, like fax, copy, etc. will come on either?

any ideas, has this happened to anyone?
please help!
[email protected]
My 2410 started the same thing this morning after power outage - found this response from last year - hope it helps - did for me!

Re: HP psc 2410 photosmart turn on problem by [email protected] (10/28/05 2:46 PM) reply + / -
I was having the same problem. The printer is now working. What I did to correct the problem was to hold the cancel button down before I turned the printer on and hold it down through the start up process.

Good luck,

cdp
by twjensen on Jul 9, 2006 at 3:47pm Add comment
I was have same problem sometimes. (the last one was 5 minutes ago).
"holding the cancel button down before turning the printer on and holding it down through the start up process" that way solved my problem.

Thanks cdp - unknown
Had the exact same problem and a google search sent me to this site. Thank you for the tip as I have been bothered by this problem over a year and holding down the cancel button as you advised fixed it. - Anonymous
thanks I tried that and it worked. I too pushed it down with a pen. I had that same problem and was trying for ages to rectify it. - Anonymous
My 2410xi had the same clicking problem. The only thing that stopped the clicking problem was unplugging the unit hold the cancel button down and while the cancel button is held down plugged it in, continuing to hold the cancel button down, press the on button and keep the cancel button down through start up and once it showed print align page in screen I let go of cancel button and printer is now working fine.

Dave - unknown
I have recently printed off many photos for a project.
The third colour cartridge gave me weird colour/spoilt photos although the alignment page ticked OK.
I removed both cartridges and did another alignment page.
This time wrong colours/ colours missing.
My deadline is in 2 days time - help please?
Is it a faulty cartridge or my printer?
Sandra
by unknown on Jul 18, 2006 at 9:18am Add comment
MY HP PSC 2410 PHOTOSMART ALL-IN-ONE JUST MAKE WEIRED NOISE AFTER I TURNED IT ON. THE COLOR DISPLAY FLIP-UP SMALL SREEN ON THE PRINTER JUST THE HOURGLASS WORKING CONSTANTLY. WHEEN I TURNED IT ON IT MAKE THESAME REPEATED NOISE OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND THEN AFTER SEVERAL MINUTES IT GOES OFF, BUT THE HOURGLASS WILL STILL ON SCREEN AND THE THE PRINTER POWER LIGHT JUST BLINKS.
PLEASE HELP.
by Anonymous on Jul 7, 2007 at 8:37am Add comment
oka I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SO WAT I DID WAS HELD THE CANCEL BOTTOM DOWN AND TURNED IT ON....

HOLD THE CANCEL BUTTON FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS BEFORE YOU TURN IT ON AND DURING THE TURN ON PROCESS

I Did this 3 times

turning the printer off and on by holding the cancel button and I got it to work...

GOOD LUCK - Anonymous
Hi All!

I have a question. Does anyone know how I can install the printer without the installation CD? Much thanks!
by iceprincess928 on Aug 15, 2007 at 8:24pm Add comment
Go to www.hp.com/support and download what you need for free - Anonymous
Faulty cartidge(s)
Replace cartidge(s)

Cheers

Bill
by theprinterman on Jul 18, 2006 at 10:14am Add comment
I'm having the same problem. It started when I pressed the cancel button, then it restarts and makes the grinding noise then the on light flashes until it turns itself off. Pressing the cancel button before plugging in the printer doesn't fix this. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I know it's just a glitch that sometimes rights itself, but it's not doing it this time. Help!!
by cash4jenn on Sep 6, 2006 at 6:33pm Add comment
I'm in the same boat. If there is a cure, please share. - unknown
I have the exact same problem. Did you find a solution? Is there any reference for opening up the printer to see if some mechanical part is not engaging?
by Anonymous on Oct 17, 2006 at 1:29pm Add comment
I also have the same annoying problem. When it first started doing this I could run a test page and it would start working. Now, I can't do anything to fix it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software a couple times and also chatted online with HP help and they said it sounded like a hardware problem. I sure hope someone out there has a solution before I can no longer hold my temper and take a hammer to it!
by spiritn_truth on Nov 7, 2006 at 3:36pm Add comment
We accuired this machine for the photostat and fax capablities. It worked for us for about two years as fax and photostat, but now I would like to make full use of it,but the software package has gone a.w.o.l. Can somebody please help me out , The software I tried to install from the net just don't seem to work.
by Deon on Nov 20, 2006 at 5:16am Add comment
Hello,
I have checked numerous of sites and no one seems to know of any solutions to this..I have tried them all for this HP psc 2410 printer, and they all are not doing nothing. Luckily I have my old printer, since I bought this thing for my work office. I have found that bigger isnt always better. I am never buying from this company again until they have answers to these problems.
Not everyone is made of money, and those of us who do buy things with our hard earned cash try to buy quality not just quanity. This is junk, and I feel they should be sued for False Advertising. Its not all what its hyped up to be...I had this thing for nearly 2 years with nothing but problems, and this is real sad. From the get go I had problems with it? Hello!

And if anyone who is reading this is from those companies. I feel someone owe's some people a refund and an apology for selling junk products to loyal consumers.
Hope some of you find a solution, but doesnt look like there is one. Take care.
by Anonymous on Dec 19, 2006 at 10:10pm Add comment
have read LOTS of pleas for a fix for this. This is what I have tried,
1.All the resets in the world.... did not work.
2.Reinstall software... did not work
3.contact hp tech......did not work , got offered to spend more money on more junk though
4.Hold down cancel while turning printer on.... did not work
5.Waiting a week of it unplugged.........WORKED SOMETIMES
6. Cleaned underside of scanner glass.... did not work, but i believe it needs to be done to have it all work right.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST Lucky number 7..... Moved scanner head to middle of printer(pushed with hand) then turned on. Oh how glorious!!!!!!!!!! It works! It really Works!!!!! Now I haven't turned it off yet and started again to see if it stays..right now I have to do some much needed work, in case it isn't permanent....
- mnpmoseley
Have a hp psc 2410xi connected to dell dimension via usb 2.0 port... Problem is when i boot machine it will not go to win xp logo screen; after i power off hp xp starts...
Any suggestions??
by unknown on Dec 29, 2006 at 9:59am Add comment
Well I've given up had an hp psc 2410 for 2 years, last summer after a power cut the grinding started. Regular occurence now after paper jams/power cuts etc, done everything, cleaned it to the letter as suggested tried moving the scanner head, resets everything, so it's going..I hate this machine with a passion, life is too short too own an HP.
by unknown on Jan 6, 2007 at 12:31am Add comment
how do you open the scanner, to move the scanner head
by Anonymous on Jan 13, 2007 at 5:11pm Add comment
I'm having a problem trying to get this printer to align after installing a new ink cartridge. I had this printer for 2 1/2 years and for the most part it's been great, however I'm ready to throw it to the wolves at the momment because of the problem I'm having with it now. Every time I try to align or calibrate the printer it either does a paper jam or says that it's out of paper as well as the fact that it won't proceed with the alignment at all because of constant readings of a paper jam or no paper at all. Not to mention that it will pull the paper through about half way and then stop and instruct you to hi the OK button to start the alignment again, but it never does the alignment!!!! I need help over here before I throw this machine at a brick wall!!! Has anyone else had this problem out there? Are there any solutions to this issue?
by unknown on Mar 1, 2007 at 6:52pm Add comment
I have the same problem. After full reset (# and 9 )when I try to align or calibrate the printer it either does a paper jam or says that it's out of paper as well as the fact that it won't proceed with the alignment at all because of constant readings of a paper jam or no paper at all.It will pull the paper through about half way and then stop - unknown
Jeesh - how many people have this problem with the noisy nonworking printer? How do you move the scanner head? I'll try anything...
by unknown on Apr 25, 2007 at 10:11pm Add comment
Piece of crap buy a new printer - the only solution!
by unknown on May 9, 2007 at 11:03am Add comment
I'm in the same boat as the rest of you (or most anyway). I HATE my HP psc 2410 photosmart almost as much as I despise the folks who work at HP. They're a bunch of ungrateful morons. Because we unwittingly purchased this product and are now stuck with a LEMON adn they have a job due to our naivity.

Anyway, what has always worked for me anytime I get a weird error message like, "Print cartridge in right stall not supported," I simply replace the black ink cartridge.

I have logged complaints with HP several times reagrding this bogus message and other messages when in fact all it is, is an ink issue. Of course, at HP they don't care if it renders the ENTIRE unit USELESS until the cartidge is replaced. Foolish design. I was told by HP today that it's a "printer first" and it's somehow my error that I bought an all-in-one when most of the time I use the other functions (scanning & faxing). I balked at that commment.

**Who would think that a single ink cartridge needing replacement would render an entire unit usless and cannot be overridden.**

I will NOT purchase another HP after this!
by unknown on Jun 4, 2007 at 8:06pm Add comment
I have had this crappy 2410 and gotten the noisy cartridge problem. It has now been sitting on the desk unplugged for months. I have not been able to fix it at all. It seems I'm not the only one at all!!!

I am sticking with Brother as I have had no problems with my brother machine.

- unknown
To move the scanner head, you will need to take off the cover for the scanner and use a hex key and unscrew three screws, and then lift it up and fittle with the belt that moves the printer along.

I am trying starting it up in different positions to see what can get it to work right. This is seriously irritating.
by unknown on Jun 29, 2007 at 12:43pm Add comment
It never did work for me, got a new one. as I see it, they're basically disposbable. sad
by unknown on Jun 30, 2007 at 1:06pm Add comment
We accuired this machine for the photostat and fax capablities. It worked for us for about two years as fax and photostat, but now I would like to make full use of it,but the software package has gone a.w.o.l. Can somebody please help me out , The software I tried to install from the net just don't seem to work.
by unknown on Jul 1, 2007 at 8:14pm Add comment
Email me your address, I'm sure I have it around. btw my fax NEVER worked. [email protected]
by unknown on Jul 2, 2007 at 9:34am Add comment
Well it did it again - on start-up it just sits, clicks and grinds. Once again after the power went out for just a second. This time I pluged it into my UPS to hopefully prevent the power outage problem. Over the last 3 weeks I have tried all the above again (last time it started correctly by holding the "Cancel" button down during start-up) several times. Finally started working correctly on the seventh time of moving the scan head to the center of the scan bed. I think it is just luck of the draw when it will begin to work correctly.

I also was chatting with HP - over 2 hours - a waste of time! They tried to get me to trade up to a newer but refurbished printer, the cost was more than they were advertising the same NEW printer on their website - what a joke!

Keep trying or go buy something other than HP!!
by twjensen on Jul 14, 2007 at 11:42am Add comment
I HAD THAT SAME SUPID CLICKING PROBLEM, holding the cancel button works,but i didnt use my finger, I used a eye brow pencil, myy finger couldnt hold it down all the way...now it works...im good now.
by Anonymous on Jul 15, 2007 at 11:59am Add comment
Any other ideas? My 2410 is still frozen with the hour glass.
Thanks, maryeee - maryeee
I HAD THAT SAME STUPID CLICKING PROBLEM, holding the cancel button works,but i didnt use my finger, I used a eye brow pencil, myy finger couldnt hold it down all the way...now it works...im good now.
by Anonymous on Jul 15, 2007 at 12:53pm Add comment
The pushing the cancel button down trick WORKED!!! YAY!! I wanted to chuck the thing out of the window everytime I heard that scanner grinding in there.

Thank you so much to the person who figured it out:)
by amanda2 on Jul 29, 2007 at 7:24am Add comment
friggin piece of junk.. what a waste.

Nothing works for my 2410. the only thing left for me is to throw it into the HP center.
by unknown on Jul 30, 2007 at 8:00am Add comment
My 2410 has been OK, but now the fax component has stopped working altogether. Does anyone know the basic things to try to restart it? I am still lookin for my original installation disc, but HP says that my system checks out and all software is updated. Is this a software or mechanical issue? How do I check?
by unknown on Aug 2, 2007 at 12:28pm Add comment
You can download drivers and full installation for free at HP
website.
Good luck
GOD BLESS - Anonymous
Before assuming the problem is with the fax make sure that your phone line is working and that the phone cable is working and plugged in securely. The easiest way to test them is to plug the phone cable into a known working phone. If you have a dial tone press a number on the keypad and listen to the line. It should be free of hum and crackling.

If you've done the above test and everything seems okay, then the fax module is probably the source of your problem. I'm fairly certain that it is separate from the main electronics board. Unfortunately HP does not sell the module or reveal it's part number (P/N). Perhaps someone on the forum has the P/N. Once you have the P/N there is a possibility of finding a used part seller that has it in stock.
by Bert on Aug 2, 2007 at 3:09pm Add comment
Bert- Thank you for your help. The problem did seem to be the phone line. I plugged the 2410 into a different phone jack & it now works. Thanks for the detailed instructions, you just saved me the expense of buying a new machine! - Anonymous
Hi! My psc2410 is a few years old now and I have never had any problems until now. When printing it regularly stops with a warning message 'The Print Cartridge Is Stalled'. There is nothing jammed inside and it's clean. And it won't print properly now either. If you print an A4 Page with a border around the edge, 2 of the edges are nearly straight but the other two and the image goes out of line. This happens whether I print from a file or use the photocopier. (I hope that makes sense!) Does anyone have any ideas please? Thank you!
by unknown on Aug 6, 2007 at 1:54am Add comment
CorrieS

Clean the encoder strip on both sides with a paper towel and water. Be cautious or you will disconnect the encoder strip from it's mounting hooks. The encoder strip is a thin plastic piece that runs horizontally the length of printer at the midpoint of the carriage.

If cleaning the encoder strip fails to solve the problem, the carriage rod probably needs to be lubricated. I believe that HP originally used grease to lubricate the rod, not just any grease but a low viscosity grease. Some people have used common silicone grease and other types and ended up making the problem worse. A reliable person on this forum has suggested Chemplex 710. You should be able to find it online.
by Bert on Aug 6, 2007 at 4:53pm Add comment
hey! any idea how to reconnect the encoder strip? i am not sure where the mounting hooks are located? - Anonymous
Bert,
I have discovered the encoder strip had come off on one side. I know where it goes, but I don't know how it goes. Where do I thread it through? - cburch
Thank you Bert! I shall try that and see if it works!
by unknown on Aug 7, 2007 at 1:19am Add comment
hey Bert you seem to be the man with the answers. Yes I've had many of the same problems above - the endless grinding which suddenly and mysteriously fixes itself. but now i have a new problem...

i turn it on and it says 'remove and check color cartridge' so i do that, close the printer, it says 'press ok to print align page' so i do that, it thinks for a while, makes a few noises, maybe pulls in a page, thinks for another 15 minutes before telling me to 'remove and check color cartridge' so i do that, close the printer, it thinks for a bit longer and comes back with the same message over and over and over. i've tried turning it off and on again, unplugging it, leaving it for several weeks, tried different cartridges but it just won't budge.

i'm quite happy to get out a hex key before i resort to a sledgehammer, as long as i have some idea what to tweak once i get inside. so please help!
by unknown on Aug 10, 2007 at 4:11am Add comment
Clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol. Do this for both cartridges. If the error continues you may have a defective cartridge, particularly if you are using refilled cartridges.
by Bert on Aug 10, 2007 at 8:41am Add comment
Thanks for the info everyone. Scanner head jammed but holding cancel during startup did not resolve the problem! Had to open up and manually move head to get it to reset. To do this:

1) Remove scanner cover by pulling forward hinge clip and lifting cover vertically.

2) Remove control panel by sliding forward... I worked this out but trying to lever cover vertically and breaking off all of the clips :-(( ...... Printer still works and control panel stays in place although it is loose

Note: There are two clips at back and two at front

3) Remove 5 Screws using Hex Driver - Size 10. There are two screws on left , two on right under the control panel and one in middle at the back under the cover hinge.

4) Lift the top up, slid scanner head to middle.

5) Put it all back together and turn it on... hopefully away you go
by unknown on Aug 10, 2007 at 10:28pm Add comment
Hi! My 2410xi all-in-one was also having the clicking problems and would not start up! I also chatted with HP and they could not resolve my issue. I tried the 5 steps suggested above about moving the scanner head. After preforming the steps it stopped the clicking but it still won't start up! Help! What can get this printer started up and usable! I'm needing this printer. There has to be something else I can do to make this work! Thank you! - Anonymous
thanks so much for the info. removed the cover and centered the head. it worked. - Anonymous
Thank you. This is the first bit of useful information I've found. The scanner bar must "know" where it is at all times. It can only do this with a reference point used as home position. The clicking sound is the belt jumping on the drive motor because it can not find home position. It has overshot the point, and by default it keeps moving in the same direction looking for home when it has no where to move. Moving the scan bar gives it a chance to find home position again. There should be some sort of proximity sensor that is used to locate home. It could be an optical sensor that needs cleaning. The ribbon cable may be bad. Those tiny wires in them like to break. If this happens, then the proximity sensor may not be able to communicate that it has found home, so it keeps trying to find it

Thanks for breaking your control panel first, opening it is what has been standing in my way. - vatirhea
A clicking (grinding) sound coming from the scanner is caused by the scanner head drive belt slipping, most likely because it cannot find it's index position (or home position). Failure to find it's index position (IP) causes the scanner head to eventually hit something solid causing the belt to slip (grind, grind). (Imagine what would happen if a scan was started from a random place.) The scanner establishes it's IP by detecting a white strip on the underside of the glass on the far right.

Why can't the scanner head find the white strip? There are several possibilities, the main electronics has failed, the scanner head has failed, the white strip it too dirty to be detected, or the scanner head bulb and/or mirror are dirty. (A dirty scanner head bulb or mirror is sort of like me trying to see through fogged glasses).

My suggestion is to clean the underside of the glass, giving particular attention to the white strip. Then clean the scanner bulb (gently) and the mirror (in the long slot) with a cotton swab sparingly moistened with Windex or similar cleaner. Doing this in addition to all of the other "magical" solutions suggested may get the scanner working.
by Bert on Aug 15, 2007 at 3:47pm Add comment
I tried your hints about cleaning all the parts and it still doesn't want to start up. It just sits there with the hourglass and refuses to do anything. We did notice, however, when we were cleaning the scanner head that the skinny white straw type thing has a small piece missing from it. I don't know if the clicking caused it to break or what. Would this be causing our problems? Hopefully there is some solution to this problem as I'd really hate to buy a new printer when this one was like $300.00. Thanks! - Anonymous
Had the problem discribed above (A clicking (grinding) sound coming from the scanner is caused by the scanner head drive belt slipping)
Problem was resolved by cleaning the white strip on the underside of the glass. Thanks for all the help!!!

Ps to get to the small number 10 hex screws under the control panel (right side) the assembly needs to be pull foward by sliding towards the front!! It does not pull up without breaking! - Anonymous
If the "skinny white straw" is made of glass and is approximately the the length of the scanner head, then you are referring to the scanner bulb. If the broken area reveals that it is hollow, then the bulb is a goner and the scanner with it.
by Bert on Aug 15, 2007 at 6:47pm Add comment
It depends on which operating system you are using. Windows Vista will automatically install the needed driver. If you are using Windows XP or 2000 you must download the driver. If you are using Windows 98/ME you are out of luck because HP no longer supports 98 or ME.

Go here if you need to download a driver.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com
by Bert on Aug 15, 2007 at 9:07pm Add comment
I plugged the model number into Google & found W98 drivers in two flavors - the basic scan & print driver (roughly 50MB depending on the site you get it from) & a full driver package that comes in at 345MB from free-driver-download.com (found that one at other sites too but didn't check size. Basic & full are both v4.2.0. I'm guessing the full package is most of, if not everything, on the install disk. I'm trying to find someone with a disk I can check it against. - Anonymous
I had the same problem; After power failure, the scanner head kept grinding and the printer would fail to start properly. I tried several of the reset remedies suggested here, including cleaning the internal scanner glass. Initially, no luck.

The HP support web site has step by step instructions about how to clean the scanner:

I did all of this, and tried to power up - but again, no luck.

I finally tried something different. It is a hot and humid summer right now, so I took a hair drier and blew hot air into the scanner unit for a minute to remove any humidity that might be inside.

I then plugged in the power WITH the Cancel and ENTER buttons pushed, and the printer seemed to reset properly and now WORKS!

I don't know what combination did the trick, but perhaps the hair drier trick might work for someone else.
by unknown on Aug 17, 2007 at 1:48pm Add comment
I also had the same problem with the flashing on light and the hourglass on the LCD. Holding the cancel button down didn't work. Took it apart and cleaned it, and lubricated the scanner carriage shaft and moved carriage to half way point as suggested and started back up but this also didn't work. I then did a partial re-set of the unit by unplugging it, holding down the pound key and the #3 key and plugging back in. When the LCD showed the partial re-set I let go of the buttons. It went through its re-set and start up and went right to printing a test page and it worked fine after that. Hope this might work for some of you.
by unknown on Aug 17, 2007 at 2:51pm Add comment
"Re: hp psc 2410 photosmart all-in-one by RNickel (8/17/07 2:51 PM) reply + / -
I also had the same problem with the flashing on light and the hourglass on the LCD. Holding the cancel button down didn't work. Took it apart and cleaned it, and lubricated the scanner carriage shaft and moved carriage to half way point as suggested and started back up but this also didn't work. I then did a partial re-set of the unit by unplugging it, holding down the pound key and the #3 key and plugging back in. When the LCD showed the partial re-set I let go of the buttons. It went through its re-set and start up and went right to printing a test page and it worked fine after that. Hope this might work for some of you."

These instructions were the fix for me.
THANKS! - designair
I just got one of these printers (1024xi)for free--because of the same problem--hourglass just sit's there--also after doing all the reset bit and head moving--still didnt fix it--well at this point I figured it's already broke lets take it appart.
I removed the rear paper jam door and found two screws--so I removed them and pulled down on the trim piece--removing it--and low and behold I found that the ribbin cable(top one on board) was loose--I unpluged both ribbins and reseated them---sure enough it started working(scanner light comes on now at initilization)
working fine now and it was free!!!.
by Anonymous on Aug 27, 2007 at 7:35am Add comment
My PSC 2410 (for Mac) was working fine for two years. Now when I try to print, the desktop icon gets a red exclamation mark on it and the document stays in the que and won't print.

I have re-installed the latest software and the problem wasn't resolved. There is ink in the cartridges and I can print a test page but not a document.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
by unknown on Nov 2, 2007 at 11:40pm Add comment
Moving the scanner head fix.

Yep. I had to go in, too. Busted a couple of pieces on the way, but hey, its a psc 2410 so it deserved to be injured.

On my first run, I slid the scanner head to the half way point, but it started grinding when it returned to the right side. I then slide it all the way over to the left and fired it up.

Oh, happy day. It works again.
by unknown on Nov 3, 2007 at 2:19pm Add comment

This worked for me.
by Anonymous on Nov 11, 2007 at 11:19am Add comment
I've given up with my psc2410 now and just bought an Epson RX685.
by unknown on Nov 11, 2007 at 11:28am Add comment
"copy" button light stays on all the time-cant print from the computer and have tried the unplugging routine
by unknown on Dec 16, 2007 at 8:19am Add comment
Could the copy button be stuck? Remove the control panel overlay (it prys off) and see if the problem goes away.
by Bert on Dec 16, 2007 at 6:00pm Add comment
Read your response. I too have problems with this #@*# printer. Can you elaborate on item 7. Thanks
by Anonymous on Dec 18, 2007 at 8:01am Add comment
If you are referring to the 1/4/07 8:29 PM post go to the web page below for instructions on removing the scanner glass. While you are at it clean the underside of the glass and the white strip on the right.
by Bert on Dec 18, 2007 at 9:14pm Add comment
I too, have the dreaded grinding stuck scanner. After cleaning underside of scanner glass and white strip, make sure you do not smudge or leave fingerprints on white strip or underside of glass when putting back together. Pressed 3 and # at the same time you plug in the power and release buttons after power on to
reset. It worked! I had already bought a new printer, and decided to move the photosmart 24l0 to another room just to use for coping and faxing. Plug it up and power came on. However, when leaving the room, I turned the light switches off, and that turned the power off to the unit, and when I turned the light switch on, the unit came back on stuck grinding again. Took apart again, cleaned, moved printer head back to middle, and restarted fine. I think these units cannot take any type of power surge when the unit is on. If I keep it unplugged and plug it in only when I use it, making sure there are no power interuptions, I can still use it.
by unknown on Dec 24, 2007 at 10:19am Add comment
I have made attempts to refill cartridges myself and have been successful until a few months ago. I was very happy with my 2410, but now it will no longer print black or color. I have brought the problem on myself by going the cheap direction. How is the best way to attempt cleaning this machine. Obviously, the cleaning and aligning tools do not work. Help.........if someone can. Thanks
by unknown on Jan 6, 2008 at 11:58am Add comment
I assume that you intend to buy a new set of cartridges.

If you want to refurb the print mechanism it is necessary to remove the case. You will need a T10 Torx head driver. If you have a digital camera take some photos along the way to help with reassembly.

Removing the case

1. Remove the rear access door and the rear panel. The panel is held in place by two T10 Torx head screws. There is also a hidden latch near the bottom on the right and left side of the rear panel, a bit tricky to unlatch but patience will prevail.
2. Looking from the rear, disconnect the three cables on the left. Take note of how the two ribbon style cables are plugged in because they can be rotated 180 degrees when replugged.
3. Open the printer as if you are going to change the cartridges, then release the latches on the left and right and the scanner will rotate upward and lift off.
4. There are several T10 screws (they are obvious) that need to be removed and the rest of the case, the top and the two side covers, will come off.

Refurbing the print mechanism

Clean the rear feed rollers with a cloth dampened with water.

Clean the service station. Remove the electronics board and carriage rod to free it from the print mechanism. Scrape out the typical glob of congealed ink. Remove the drive motor and soak the service station in hot water to dissolve the ink buildup.

Clean the carriage rod with alcohol and lubricate it with Lubriplate Aero, available online. The wrong lubricant will cause carriage stalls.

Clean the encoder strip on both sides with water. Make sure that it is threaded through the optical sensor in the carriage when you reinstall it.
by Bert on Jan 6, 2008 at 10:08pm Add comment
Great tutorial Bert. Have found the 'Lubriplate Aero' (courtesy of Sparesmaster) click on this link- http://www.onlinegaragedoorspares.com , retailing at £6.50 (ex. vat) for 1.75oz tube. - fuzzylogic
When trying to print from computor, screen with heading
hp psc 2410 series Send Fax.Is there a setting that would correct this?
by unknown on Jan 29, 2008 at 7:46pm Add comment
sir,nearly i have been gifted hp psc 2410 photosmart all in one by my uncle.i used it for time period then i installed my windows due to some fault.now i had lost the cd drivers of it therefore it is useless now.plz help me in this regard soon.
thanking u un anticipation.
SADDAM CHANDIO
LARKANA
by saddam on Feb 2, 2008 at 1:19am Add comment
Go to this web page to download the drivers.
by Bert on Feb 2, 2008 at 2:07pm Add comment

I've recovered from the grinding/banging noise now about 3 or 4 times in the last 4 years or so, each time a different recovery method was used,any thing from leaving it unplugged for a month to this last one which was the full monty(taking off the glass and cleaning it, then moving the scanner position and holding the partial reset keys while turning it on.

I try to remember to turn off the machine and unplug it during stormy weather so I don't lose power which seems to cause the problem.

If I hadn't payed so much for this HP POS I would have left it to die a long time ago.

Thanks to every one here who stuck it out and reported their fix(s)
by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2008 at 8:10pm Add comment
Cleaning the scanner carriage bar did the trick for me. I think this is the most common fault on HP printers. I remember cleaning the carriage bar on an A3 HP printer at my work after it too failed to initialise at start up. If index position is not found the drive belt will slip and make ‘grinding’ noises therefore, unable to register “all clear” at start-up.
1. Open the printer scanner cover – go to this link on how to open the cover http://h10025.www1.hp.com
2. Ensure you have the correct tools – you will need T10 Torx screw driver.
3. When open push the scanner head gently by hand halfway across the carriage bar.
4. Clean the exposed carriage bar on both sides of the scanner head using soft paper towel moistened in alcohol or warm water. Push the scanner head to clean under.
5. Lubricate the carriage bar all the way with Lubriplate Aero (do not use silicon based lubricants).
6. After lubricating the bar push the scanner head back to right but approx. 1cm (1 inch) short from the end stop.
7. Whilst you are at it clean the glass also with paper towel moistened in warm water only. Wipe on the white strip area with only a gentle pressure to avoid damaging the strip.
8. Ensure the insides are dry before re-assembling the cover.
9. Before powering-up press and hold down # and 3 buttons together and then switch on the mains power. Hold the buttons until ‘partial re-set’ appears on the LCD screen then let go of buttons.
10. Follow the instruction on screen and complete the set-up.
11. You should now have a working printer.

Good luck.
by Gajjru on Mar 29, 2008 at 8:08am Add comment
Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name and I'll email you some photos. Ask for the PSC 2410 encoder strip photos.
by Bert on Mar 29, 2008 at 8:23pm Add comment
I am running on Vista. Is there any solution to getting all the bells and whistles from this printer. Photo Zone and the extra stuff that was there on XP or not there. Have talked to HP but they were no help. I would just like to have all the features that came with the printer available - running on Vista. Can anybody help me?

Thank you.
by cjjones58 on Apr 3, 2008 at 5:58am Add comment
HP has chosen to 'punish' Vista users for not buying a new printer by not supplying a full featured driver, i.e. you are never going to have all of the features you enjoyed when using XP.

Go to this web page and scroll down to Using the Advanced Printer Functions.
by Bert on Apr 3, 2008 at 6:44pm Add comment
Got a new computer running Vista OS instead of XP. Vista keeps trying to auto-install the drivers for my 2410 all-in-one for me, over and over, every time I boot up or power off/on the printer. But it continues to not work - every time I try to print I cannot see my printer to select it to print to. Have tried reattaching cables, uninstalling the driver manually prior to trying another reinstall. I even downloaded from hp website their diagnostic utility but it can't see my device and gives a message that if my device does not show it was never installed. the computer correctly identifies the 2410 device as plugged into the USB port but I just cant get the driver successfully installed (altho I always get a message from Vista that it HAS successfully installed).

HP support is worse than useless.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm about ready to give up and go get something new just so I can have something - anything - that works!!!!

PS - and it won't be an HP!!!!

by Anonymous on Apr 3, 2008 at 9:43pm Add comment
i have a problem with my hp 2410. the lights keep flashing and an error message comes up saying 'remove and check colour cartridge'. so i bought a new cartridge but it still has the same error message!!!!!

does anyone know what to do???

by unknown on Apr 5, 2008 at 8:25pm Add comment
My son bought me a Photosmart C5140 for my old computer at Fry's. The old computer quit and I had to buy a new Hp computer, but I cant find my disk to install my Hp Photosmart C5140 All-in-one. My computer is a desk type.
by unknown on Jul 17, 2008 at 10:21am Add comment
Download the C5140 driver here.
by Bert on Jul 17, 2008 at 2:18pm Add comment
I'll see your seven and raise you one. I tried moving the scanner head to the middle and other end. no luck, but you're right it is the scanner making the noise.
by Anonymous on Aug 8, 2008 at 8:08pm Add comment
three screws. you can use an allen wrench if you don't have a star. two on the left and one under the cover. there is a button on the back of the cover to lift it off. these let you lift it enough to get to the head.
by Anonymous on Aug 8, 2008 at 8:12pm Add comment
I had the annoying clicking sound with the hour glass problem too.Just like everyone else,I was ready to toss the thing out the window.You would think that HP would troubleshoot this problem and post a fix but I guess the are to busy counting their money.I tried many of the fixes posted here.The one that actually worked was holding down the cancel button while turning the unit on.Continue to hold the cancel button until it starts working or you start swearing ,whichever one comes first.I used a pen to hold the cancel button down like an earlier poster had suggested.I guess your finger just doesnt push down far enough.If this doesn't work,you can alway take it outside and use it for target practice. Good luck

by Anonymous on Aug 14, 2008 at 3:40pm Add comment
I put up the last post.It must have been dumb luck because it worked that time but not again. I finally took off the scanner cover and cleaned the underside of the glass and the white stripe.I put it back together and it worked perfectly. You can find the link to this procedure in a few of the earlier posts.

HP sucks out loud for not posting this fix on their site.

Good luck.
by Anonymous on Aug 24, 2008 at 9:35am Add comment
Here is hoping that the problem is resolved. I inherited one of these 2410 from my dad. He had it for 5 years and used it a total of five times. He is technologically impaired so I figured I take a look at it there was nothing I could do so he bought a new one and told me I was the lucky new owner of this piece of crap. After reading these post I tried everything. The one that seemed to work was opening it up and cleaning. Just be a careful with the number pad when you go to remove that cause there are two hidden screws under there push down and slide down. Prying it up is not such a good idea. (I broke a clip that way) In total there were 5 screws that needed to be removed. A torque screwdriver will do the job T10 to be exact.

Thanks for all the help :)

Lets see how long this last. Now to find the darn software LoL.
by unknown on Aug 26, 2008 at 1:41pm Add comment
Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name. Ask for the PSC 2410 encoder strip photos.
by Bert on Sep 7, 2008 at 9:17pm Add comment
The "cancel method" really works! Im so relieved! Thank uu! ((:
by unknown on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:20pm Add comment
I have also a problem with my hp 2410 printer, which the lights are flashing and with an error message of "remove and check colour cartridge" I bought a new color cartridge and install it but the problem still exist. This is also the same problem that I read on this forum with name ZS.

Can anyone help me to fix this problem? Thanks
by Hli on Sep 30, 2008 at 1:23am Add comment
HP PRINTERS BLOW!!!! DON'T EVER BUY ONE - THEY ALMOST ALWAYS HAVE MECHANICAL ISSUES THAT WILL LEAVE YOU FRUSTRATED AND BROKE. I HAVE HAD MY PRINTER FIXED THREE TIMES AND IT STILL HAS THIS SAME PROBLEM OF IT GETTING STUCK. THE NEW HP PRINTERS ARE NO BETTER THAN THIS PIECE OF JUNK AND HP CUSTOMER SVC IS A JOKE.
by QUIRK on Oct 1, 2008 at 11:19am Add comment
i fixed mines haha!
by Anonymous on Oct 22, 2008 at 8:10pm Add comment
ill tell u wat i did. i disconected everything took it apart by removing the two screws near the copy window thingy. and then i removed the ink cartridges and pluged it in and it workd. the noise grinding that is occuring is caused by the copy bulb. it is just stuck. took me around less than 20 mins to fix it.good luck! - Anonymous
Paper seems not to go in all the way. Weird noises and nothing seems to work. This HP is not as good as my former HP. Newer model but not as efficient. It has failed to print, even if the paper was in its proper place. Sure need it fixed promptly. Please help. Thank you.

( HP Photosmart C4280 All in One )
Serial # CN8INRBOHO
by unknown on Oct 23, 2008 at 3:32am Add comment
I keep getting a stripping effectin my prints. I have completed sveral cleaning printer heads and alignments and replaced the in cartridge. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?
by unknown on Nov 1, 2008 at 9:34am Add comment
I keep getting a stripping effect in my prints. I have completed several cleaning printer heads and alignments and replaced the ink cartridge. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?
by unknown on Nov 1, 2008 at 10:21am Add comment
If the striping is horizontal the problem is most likely plugged printhead nozzles or a cartridge(s) is running out of ink. New ink cartridges, refills in particular, can be defective.
by Bert on Nov 1, 2008 at 10:28am Add comment
How do you clean plugged print head nozzles? - Anonymous
How do you clean the nozzles? - Anonymous
Try soaking in the nozzles in approximately 1/4" (6 mm) of near boiling water.
by Bert on Nov 3, 2008 at 12:02am Add comment
Wow!! It seems I've come to the right place. My eyes are half dried up looking at all the "help". Bert seems to be tech savvy so I'll direct my question to him. For some reason my scanner seems to like to scan about 1/2 of the item I am scanning. About 1 in 20 or so is full size and I get my hopes up only to have them dashed on the rocks of dispair. Any suggestions? I have had thing since '03 and have experienced only one other problem which, when ignored long enough, has actually gone away....for now. Thank you for your consideration.
by 2410 aio on Nov 11, 2008 at 11:19pm Add comment
To head off potential problems do the cleaning as described on the following web page.

Lubricate the rod that the scanner head travels on with a thin coating of Lubiplate Aero or Chemplex 710, both available online. If your fundamental problem is the scanner head binding on the rod, the wrong lubricant will make the problem worse.
by Bert on Nov 11, 2008 at 11:36pm Add comment
Try Chemplex 710.
http://www.com-com.co.uk/HP/parts/CHEMPLEX710-53.ihtml

FYI: The email I sent you was undeliverable.
by Bert on Nov 16, 2008 at 9:46pm Add comment
This is the temple of answers for the psc2410.

Have used this turkey for four years without a hitch. Mind you it mainly used for printing with the occaisional scan and fax.

It now seems to have a power surge problem. It turns itself on as usual with the hourglass glowing and then decides to cough and fart and turn itself off again and immediately decides to start up again. Not long after the startup, the coughing and farting and turning off happens again. And so it goes on.

Help anyone.
by unknown on Nov 23, 2008 at 1:18am Add comment
Possibility a stuck power button?

Get a replacement part here.
http://cgi.ebay.com
by Bert on Nov 23, 2008 at 8:48pm Add comment
The power button is not the problem
The printer turns on, farts and puffs and makes noises. When I open the lid the scanner cartridge tries to move but does not.
That's it and I don't know what else to do. I was soooo happy when I got the alignment page but........it did not last. - Anonymous
My 2410 xi is going crazy.
First it made a lot of noise and told me to change the cartridge even though it was a fairly new one. I did it hoping that would be it but it did not change a thing. The warning stayed on the window and the scanner cartridge moves about an inch back and forth and that is it.
I can push it over but it won't go on its own. Just makes noise. I tried the cancel and partial reset as suggested but it did not help. This printer was expensive and I feel cheated. Does anyone have a suggestion on what else I can try?
I sure would appreciate it.
Thank you kindly
CJ
by unknown on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:12am Add comment
Remove and clean the scanner glass as described on the web page below.
by Bert on Dec 3, 2008 at 9:22pm Add comment
Dear Bert.
I thank you very much for sending this information to me.I followed the instructions and this is what happened.
The printer gave me a good alignment page, made one copy for me and 5 min. after it that it started to make the same noise again. The scanner cartridge moving 1 inch back and forth.
And now it is only doing that and I had to disconnect it because the "OFF"button would not turn it off.
What is wrong with that thing?.
Kindly
Christel
- Anonymous
Does anyone have problems replacing the ink cartridges? I dread getting the prompt that I'm running low on ink because it takes me hours to get the old cartridges out.
by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2008 at 8:13am Add comment
Giving you the benefit of doubt that you're not joking, I suggest that you go to the web page below.
by Bert on Dec 9, 2008 at 6:39pm Add comment
holding the cancel button while I hit the on/off button worked for me this time, I held i through the scanner resetting and then all lights came on.
by cg on Dec 12, 2008 at 5:26pm Add comment
Think I have sorted it!!!!!!!!!!! My hp psc 2410 photosmart was flashing the four fax,scan, copy etc buttons and saying "Please remove and check print cartridges", I spent ages trying 2 sort it... and looking on forums, but i finnaly did it by myself.... lol

All i did was lift hatch thing up,(while printer is on and flashing) take both print cartridges out, blow on them and blow in there holders (Old Nintendo trick :P) then just replace and close lid... message comes up telling you to press "ok" to print align sheet and walla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorted... hope this helped someone.

P.S. Only 13 so dont slag about my language lol.
by unknown on Jan 8, 2009 at 1:12pm Add comment
i have two of these stupid things, one at work, one here at home. went through the stuck heads/grinding noise with both, now i'm encountering documents getting stuck in the print que and not printing out all the way. they will not delete from the que. even after a full day/night of being shut down and unplugged--both power and usb, they're still there stopping any print work attempted. if i attempt to print it locks the computer up completely. going to try a new driver, please post if you have any info on this issue. thanks.
by unknown on Jan 10, 2009 at 8:48am Add comment
A lort of help was given here and I tried it all. Unfortunately nothing worked and I finally trashed it.
CJ
by unknown on Jan 10, 2009 at 8:55am Add comment
i actually used HP's online chat/tech support help successfully. In the past, at one point i had to uninstall the existing printer software, install an updated version and the tech support had me delete a particular file out of it, i think it was a registry file. this time around, cycling the print spooler on and off along with an uninstall/reinstall of the software seems to have gotten rid of the problem. i think the initial problem related to having accidentally hit "restore factory settings" on the printer controls.
by unknown on Jan 19, 2009 at 5:10am Add comment
I need a new drive belt cuz mine snaped is it possible to get a new one and if so how,and how do i install it?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!11

[email protected]
by kevmo7 on Feb 16, 2009 at 3:27pm Add comment
Use the slightly wider built that is used on the Deskjet 900 series, HP P/N C6426-40115. Do a Google search for the part.

Removing the case

1. Remove the rear access door and the rear panel. The panel is held in place by two T10 Torx head screws. There is also a hidden latch near the bottom on the right and left side of the rear panel, a bit tricky to unlatch but patience will prevail.
2. Looking from the rear, disconnect the three cables on the left. Take note of how the two ribbon style cables are plugged in because they can be rotated 180 degrees when replugged.
3. Open the printer as if you are going to change the cartridges, then release the latches on the left and right that limit rotation and the scanner will rotate upward and lift off.
4. There are several T10 screws (they are obvious) that need to be removed and the rest of the case, the top and the two side covers, will come off.
by Bert on Feb 16, 2009 at 8:22pm Add comment
I am using Vista window and Window xp. One one each of my computers. On both of my computers and using my 2410 all in one I have the same problem. I try to scan and when I hit the scan bottom, a message comes up in the hp window, NO SCAN OPTIONS.
SCAN OPTIONS ARE not installed. HOW to I fix this????????????I have restalled the disc and even got an update disc for the printer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing. help please,someone. Thanks
by unknown on Feb 18, 2009 at 10:31am Add comment
Help. I'm losing the will to live! I changed the colour cartridge & now I'm getting the message 'Remove and check print cartridge, constantly no matter what I do. I have cleaned them with wet wipes and cleaned inside the printer, I've turned it on & off & still the message appears. The pc is not communicating with the printer so I can't ask it to run the clean programme. I am grateful for any help.
by Anonymous on Feb 20, 2009 at 12:51pm Add comment
I've gotten brand new cartridges that were defective out of the box on more than 1 occasion. Once I even replaced a color cartridge and the printer lied to me and told me that the black one was bad. After 15 fruitless minutes of messing with it, I realized that the new color cartridge was causing the problem. Remember, the cartridges never get tested before they stick them in the box. - moe
Paper got jammed, I tried to take it out from the back and could not, so took it out from the front. Now, it just jams the paper every time you try to print something.
by bbwells on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:00pm Add comment
Did you get all the paper out? It always amazes me that people don't realize that when there is a chunk of the paper missing out of the sheet they've yanked out, that it might still be in the printer. Then they don't understand why all the subsequent sheets jam. Actually, you should always try and remove stuck paper in the direction of travel. Always try and remove it in one piece. This doesn't mean you grab it and yank it as hard as you can. Remember, these are cheaply built POS printers whose sole reason for existence is so HP can sell you the expensive ink cartridges. They won't take even minimum abuse. - moe
I bought new 2 piece black 56 cartridges for my psc2410 but realized that I do not have my color one. Does anyone know if there is anyone to use this printer without putting any color cartridge in it? Or is it possible to put 56 black cartridge in 57 color cartridge? I need help with this plz.
by Anonymous on Mar 10, 2009 at 8:28am Add comment
Both cartridges must be installed in order to print. You cannot swap a black cartridge for a color cartridge.
by Bert on Mar 10, 2009 at 9:56pm Add comment
any fixes for the view window (color graphic display) it stopped working 2 monthafter i bought it hp wanted to charge 100 sume dollar thanks the pup
by scruftypup on Mar 27, 2009 at 6:01am Add comment
Hello; A customer gave to repair a psc2410, it was also displaying the clock icon and would not start up. Reseting and cleaning the scanner unit didn't work; I realized the stepper motor in the scaner was not working; so I checked the stepper motor cables and EUREKA! I found disconected the conector on the board side.

What I did to fix:
Removed printer's back panel (removed duplex unit, removed 2 torx screws and gently pulled the panel, disconected speaker cable on front board).
Now inside the printer at the left side, is an electronic board, and below the printer's power conector is located the conector where the motor cables should be. It´s marked as J5 in the board. I conected the cable, assembled the printer and worked...
- hope this helped -
by Anonymous on Apr 27, 2009 at 1:53pm Add comment
Most useless piece of machine I have ever used ... it has given me very less convenience a lot of problems as mentioned by other forum members, making a grrrr grrrr noise endlessly ... hourglass for hours & hours ... days & days ... print cartridges non acceptance after replacement ... I will never buy an HP product after this
by unknown on May 4, 2009 at 9:26am Add comment
I used a refilled ink cartridge and the printer started making loud gear sounds. Then it started printing very very slow. I took the ink cartradges out and restarted the machine, replaced the ink cartridges. I got a error message - Oxc.18a0001 ink system failure.

I removed ink cartridges again and noticed the refilled black ink cartridge had a different computer board chip on it compared to the origional ink cartridges.

Can I reprogram the printer and replace the refilled black cartridge for hp origional cartridge?

Thanks for any help -
small non-profit director
by M3C on May 11, 2009 at 8:25am Add comment
I used a refilled ink cartridge and the printer started making loud gear sounds. Then it started printing very very slow. I took the ink cartradges out and restarted the machine, replaced the ink cartridges. I got a error message - Oxc.18a0001 ink system failure.

I removed ink cartridges again and noticed the refilled black ink cartridge had a different computer board chip on it compared to the origional ink cartridges.

Can I reprogram the printer and replace the refilled black cartridge for hp origional cartridge?

Thanks for any help -
small non-profit director
by M3C on May 11, 2009 at 8:29am Add comment
okay. i really need help haha. i have windows vista right, but the software for the printer is only for like XP, and the others, not vista. can anyone please give a link to download the setup for the printer for Windows Vista????
by unknown on May 12, 2009 at 8:28pm Add comment
This link might help you out.

Michael
Perfect Printer Parts

http://h10025.www1.hp.com - tracker54
I just purchased an iMac, and connected my HP to it, everything is plugged in, but it will not turn on. I called Apple care and went thru all the steps with them, to verify that the printer is connected to the computer. It is. I have tried turning the printer on by pressing the on button, to no avail. Nothing lights up...nothing happens. HELP, please.
by unknown on May 29, 2009 at 5:07pm Add comment
Disconnect the printer from the computer and try turning it on. If it turns on you have something really weird going on. Does the printer power on if connected to a different computer?

If the printer does not power on, check the power module for 16VDC and 32VDC output. The center contact on the power output connector is the common. If not replace the power module with HP P/N Q7310-60003.
by Bert on May 29, 2009 at 5:38pm Add comment
Hey Bert, you seem to know a lot about these stupid printers :) Mine is having a problem as mentioned before: "Remove and check print cartridges". I have the correct cartridges and replaced them many times so I don't think that we have bought several defective cartridges and I have taken them out and cleaned the cartridge and their slots (never with water or cleaning wipes) as mentioned above as well. Nothing i do has worked. I have also unplugged it completely and left it unplugged for a while. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks! - unknown
Press and hold the # and 3 buttons on the Control Panel while plugging in the power. This will reset the printer electronics.

If the reset fails to solve the problem and you are absolutely sure that the electrical contacts on the cartridges and carriage are clean, that you have good cartridges, and that the cartridges are the correct type, then I suggest considering a new printer.

I would not be 100\% confident that the cartridges are not defective if they have been refilled.
by Bert on May 31, 2009 at 11:26pm Add comment
Thanks Guys ,especially Bert I had the Hourglass and clicking problem everyone describes and removing the scanner top and cleaning and reset of the scanner bar did the trick ! There are 5 screws holding the top down 2 on the left are easy .One is under the scan cover lid and 2 more under the right control pannel which comes off by first lifting the rear of the silver panel up.Not too bad a job if you take it easy.
by unknown on Jun 9, 2009 at 9:43pm Add comment
HP PSC 2410 PHOTOSMART ALL IN ONE PRINTER PROBLEMS

FOR EVERYONE OUT THERE WHO IS AT YOUR WITS ENDS WITH YOUR HP PRINTER THAT IS TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY STUCK IN STARTUP

AND MAKING THAT AWFUL CLICKING NOISE ---- LET ME TELL YA ---I TRIED EVERYTHING--I MEAN EVERYTHING

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO PULL ALL MY HAIR OUT--- I READ ALL THE POSTS AND DID EVERYTHING RECOMMENDED

FROM POSTS OF OTHER USERS AS WELL AS THE SORRY HP WEBSITE!

I DID NOT WANT TO TAKE APART AND CLEAN GLASS AND STRIPE B/C I WAS AFRAID TO DO THIS, BUT I THOUGHT I AM GOING

TO THROW IT AWAY TODAY ANYWAY AFTER WHAT I HAVE BEEN THRU SO I STARTED TEARING INTO IT AND -- EVENTHOUGH I AM NOW

IN TEARS B/C IT REALLY WORKED---LOL I DIDNT REALLY KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING SO LET ME TELL YOU HOW TO DO IT NOW THAT

I KNOW --LOL LIFT THE LID FOR YOUR SCANNER AND THERE WILL BE TWO SCEWS ON THE LEFT. I USED A TINY ALAN WRENCH

(WORKED GREAT) TAKE THEM OUT AND THEN OVER ON THE PANEL SIDE, TAKE A SCREWDRIVER AND LIFT FROM THE BACK-JUST POP IT OFF.

I DID NOT TAKE ANY OF THE RIBBONS LOOSE. 2 SCEWS WILL BE UNDER THE COVER, REMOVE THEM, ALSO REMOVE THE SCANNER LID BY PULLING

TAB TOWARDS YOU ARE LIFT THE LID STAIGHT UP. I JUST LET EVERYTHING HANG AGAISNT THE WALL WHILE I WAS WORKING. I TOOK THE GLASS

OUT AND USED MY SPECIAL LIL CLOTH THAT CAME WITH MY FLAT SCEEN TV AND CLEANED THE GLASS REALLY WELL, PAYING VERY CLOSE ATTENTION

TO THE BLACK/WHITE AND MIRRORED STRIP. (MAKE SURE THE BLACK/WHITE STRIP IS DOWN PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER ) I DIDNT EXPECT IT TO WORK

BUT IT DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW THIS IS LONG BUT GOSH I HOPE IT HELPS EVERYONE!! TAKE CARE ALL, KATHY
by Emporio7 on Jun 30, 2009 at 2:29pm Add comment
You rock! I tried your instructions along with anonymous' advice to pull the control panel forward then up and also cleaned the cables inside the printer. Voila! Thanks. I didn't want to buy a new printer yet. - Anonymous

OMG!!!!!!!!! I did everything! I fooled with this thing for hours and hours.
Did the resent things umpteen times, the "hold cancel" until my fingers
went numb. Then like "Bert" and Emporio7" above, decided to take it apart.
Didn't want to, thought for sure i'd crack, break or rip something off.
I didn't disconnect the cables, i thought that would be the end of it, no
matter what i did. But cleaned the glass, which seems so frivolous, and
put everything back (putting it back was easier then pulling it apart). Then,
I thought, might as well go all the way - I did the "HOLD # and 3" when I plugged
it in again, telling myself, that their was nothing else for me to do after that.
(except go buy a new printer!) Well, same thing, the back and forth scanning, with the
odd noises, blinking "on" button, with partial reset on screen, that wouldn't go away,
then I thought "What the hell" (sorry) I held down the cancel button for a while,
nothing happened, kept holding, nothing. After giving up and a few choice words:
I let go the cancel button, it beeped and everything seems OK.
No blinking, and copy light on.
P>S> HP Support is a waste of time. Thank God i found you guys. Thanks
for your time in writing in,
by unknown on Jul 14, 2009 at 11:35am Add comment
does anyone have a psc 2410 working with vista home premium? is there a special driver I can download so that i can scan and fax with my psc 2410?

ariesars
by Anonymous on Jul 27, 2009 at 4:10pm Add comment
Here you go.

Michael
Perfect Printer Parts

by unknown on Jul 27, 2009 at 5:22pm Add comment
TO FIX THE ANNOYING FLASHING LIGHT AND FUNNY NOISE:

(NO UNSCREWING REQUIRED)

1. Open the cover as if you were going to replace the ink while the printer is turned on.
2. Slide the ink cartridges out and then back in again.
3. Slide the ink cartridges to the middle of the printer.
4. Turn off the printer off by unplugging the cable from the back of the printer.
5. Wait 5 seconds and then plug the cable back in.
6. Printer will then print out all of the sheets it tried to print before the printer went down.

Hope this helps. Just followed a previous post from 2years ago and got lucky. I too was about to give up and buy a new printer. Thanks again!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.

by unknown on Aug 2, 2009 at 2:27pm Add comment
A friend of my has this kind of printer but the printerhead is not connected to the belt anymore. Howcome? Well a "specific part" fell out of the printer but now it's gone he told me. Does anybody know which part do i need. The printerhead (with 2 cartridges) has no connection at all with the belt.

It also make grindy noises but that solution is written above.

Thanks in advance
John
by unknown on Aug 19, 2009 at 11:54am Add comment
My Hp 2410xi Photosmart got a paper jam... no problem, right? Removed the jam, closed the cover and....................

..........and there's no power.
It's acting like it's been unplugged.

No resets or plugging in or unplugging and replugging or buttons or combination of buttons or holding buttons has done anything.
.....it still acts like there's no power.

Solutions, anyone?
by unknown on Sep 15, 2009 at 1:06pm Add comment
i have a hp psc 2410 photosmart printer and one day it just started making a weird noise after i turned it on. the color display flip-up small screen on the printer just has an hourglass working constantly and i have already tried to restore it but to no avail. When I turn it on it makes the same repeatably noise over and over again and then after a minute it goes off but the hourglass is still on the screen and the the printer power light just blinks, none of the other lights, like fax, copy, etc. will come on either? Most of the time, the problem occurs when there is sudden power cut. It seems that scanner got stuck and it tries to release. I had same problem earlier but i was resolved automatically. This time I am unable to find the exact solution. please help me if anyone have the solution.
Thanks
Amit
Email: [email protected]
by Anonymous on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:55pm Add comment
i have a hp psc 2410 photosmart printer and one day it just started making a weird noise after i turned it on. the color display flip-up small screen on the printer just has an hourglass working constantly and i have already tried to restore it but to no avail. When I turn it on it makes the same repeatably noise over and over again and then after a minute it goes off but the hourglass is still on the screen and the the printer power light just blinks, none of the other lights, like fax, copy, etc. will come on either? Most of the time, the problem occurs when there is sudden power cut. It seems that scanner got stuck and it tries to release. I had same problem earlier but i was resolved automatically. This time I am unable to find the exact solution. please help me if anyone have the solution.
Thanks
Amit
by unknown on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:00pm Add comment
Go to this web page.
by Bert on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:02pm Add comment
I have a unique problem in my hp Laptop. It makes "tuck tuck" sound. when I observed in the volume control, it shows decreasing volume (volume coming down) and ticking alternate "mute all" option thus making "tuck tuck" sound. Finally, it comes to zero volume and keeps on making "tuck tuck" sound with alternate ticking "mute all" option. Please let me know if any expert has solution to this problem.
Thanks in advance
Amit
by unknown on Nov 21, 2009 at 9:25pm Add comment
I have to say this is the answer.

I too tried everything on this site and I too had SEVERE frustrations with my bloody HP printer grinding during start up and the scanner playing up.

I took it apart as described above, no good, had it apart for days on end trying all sorts of things... then finally....

...I cleaned the glass underneath - but in particular the BLACK AND WHITE STRIP HAD TO BE SQUEAKY CLEAN.

... And voila, working. Hopefully that's the cause. I'm presuming that the strip somehow tells the scanner head when to stop, when the strip is even slightly dirty, it mustn't be able to read it and therefore continually bumps and grinds into the end of the carriageway.

good luck folks.
by unknown on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:34pm Add comment
I Have It And It Says "Press OK to print Align Page". Everytime I Do It, Nothing Happens. And When I Plug In The Memory Card To My Camera In The Bottom Slot Is Says "Reading Card" But It Doesn't Work. What's Wrong With My Printer???
by unknown on Jan 1, 2010 at 6:41pm Add comment
Thanks to everyone who posted something, our final solution was to open the scanner cover completely, taking out FIVE hex screws, totally cleaning both sides of the glass, the bulb, the white strip on the underside, then which resulted in the scanner head returning to where it should, no more noises, it works fine, copies, everything. Thanks! Hope it works for you!
by unknown on Jan 5, 2010 at 2:03pm Add comment
ok here's a new one--well, actually a long time problem that i want to fix. ever since i had to reinstall the software through an HP site download, i do not have the ability to scan anything. when i attempt to, i get an error message:

"Sorry, could not find required user interface files. (Please reinstall scanning software.)"

I tried downloading the latest files for the printer--below is the title of the setup file, but still no luck

"gc_w01_ENU_NB"

Anyone have any ideas where to get a dl of the proper files? if i attempt to use the original software, i get "Installation did not complete successfully" or some such, which is why i went to hp's site in the first place.
by Anonymous on Jan 5, 2010 at 2:29pm Add comment
Well guys, after taking an hour to go threw this page and read the same complaint over and over again, I have come to the conclusion you are having the same problem I have found in a machine brought to me for service. For the ones that constantly give a pap[er jam message and clunk back and forth, there is a positioning ribbon that the inc cartridge travels back and forth on. This tells the cart. where it is at the moment. The ribbon on the machine here is broken, and thus will not position correctly. I found this page while searching for parts, and have yet to find any. Your best bet, and probably mine as well, is to send it to HP for service. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, I'm just letting you know you can stop killing yourselves trying to repair it your self, as even if you had the part, it is not a user serviceable type of thing.
Sorry,
D.J.
by Anonymous on Jan 13, 2010 at 11:49am Add comment
i have one of these printers , been good for years , all of a sudden lcd screen goes into sleep mode and wont light up , but if you leave it four off for an hour or so , it works fine , would reinstalling program fix anyone now
by 3223nev on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:39am Add comment
HOLY CRAP!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S WORKING!!!

My printer's scanner was stuck and wouldn't stop and made that clicking noise too. The noise would stop and I would get an hour glass.

I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ON THIS THREAD FOR 4 HOURS NOW!
I TRIED THE CANCEL BUTTON BEFORE POWERING ON… with my finger, pen, screw driver.
I OPENED AND CLEANED THE SCANNER! (the bulb, the white strip, sprayed air on it…)
I TRIED THE PARTIAL RESET # + 3. (After the cleaning, etc.)
I PUSHED THE SCANNER TO THE MIDDLE…
I TOOK OUT THE INK CARTRIDGES AND PUT THEM BACK! AND PLACED THAT IN THE MIDDLE!
I TOOK OFF ALL THE CONNECTORS AND PUT THEM ON AGAIN...(WHICH I DON'T SUGGEST BECAUSE IT'S HARD TO PUT THEM ON AND I ALMOST BROKE THE DISPLAY ONE)
I EVEN TRIED BLOW DRYING THE THING!

NOTHING WORKED FOR ME!

I FINALLY GAVE UP AND SCREWED EVERYTHING BACK ON (Made sure the connectors were on tight before I closed the panel) and rolled up the power cord.
I forgot to take out the ink for another printer so i plugged it back in.

IT DIDN'T AUTOMATICALLY START LIKE BEFORE AND THE POWER DIDN'T GO ON. SO I PUSHED THE POWER BUTTON AND VOILA! IT JUST WORKED! NO ANNOYING SCANNER MOVEMENT! I didn't even push the cancel button or # + 3!

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WORKED...PROBABLY ME CLEANING IT NUMEROUS TIMES AND GIVING IT A PARTIAL REST??? I DUNNO. BUT I TRIED THE PARTIAL RESET AND CANCEL BUTTON ABOUT 20 TIMES. JUST KEEP CLEANING AND DO THE RESET MANY TIMES. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING'S CLOSED TOO.

ALL I CAN SAY IS DON'T GIVE UP I GUESS UNLESS YOU SEE SOMETHING BROKEN OR MISSING IN THERE. IT WOULD'VE BEEN A SHAME TO THROW AWAY A PERFECTLY FINE UNIT BECAUSE OF THE STUPID SCANNER BEING STUCK. NOT WORTH REPAIRING EITHER.

GOOD LUCK! DON'T GIVE UP!
by unknown on Jan 14, 2010 at 6:38pm Add comment
Whoever suggested pressing 3 plus # on the printer, bless you! I took it all apart, move the scanner bar, nothing. Last-resort I unplugged, held down 3 and # on the printer, and plugged it back in. Bingo! Don't know how long this will work, but it buys me a little more time to research a new printer. This one has been doing this bump and grind for a long time, but I've always been able to coax it back to life until today's episode.
by nickless on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:39pm Add comment
Bert and Gajjru are awesome. We had the same grinding noise for the past year or so, off and on. The first few times, we were able to unplug power and functionality returned. This last time (about a week ago, no luck). Thanks so much, Gajjru for you step-by-step instructions. Works perfectly. We now have surgeon hands.....
by unknown on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:23pm Add comment
Thank you lalichten, glad to be of help to you.

So many of you are having the dreaded ‘grinding’ problem with their HP PSC 2410. Well, would you believe it, my printer packed up after all this time – same old problem as before like the grinding noise and blinking light. I came back here to review how to open the cover etc as its been so long since my last input in March 2008. Lo and behold, I was amazed to see so many posts here and this thread is still going strong.

I have cleaned the glass, the carriage and all the mirrors under the cartridge (gently lift up the black cartridge and you will see the mirrors under).

I pressed #9 this time before powering up and VOILA!!... all is working well again. Nice to learn from Chrisgyver about all the re-set numbers (#3, #6 & #9). I am being nagged my missus to buy a new one – apparently they are going cheap these days, even the wireless ones. I tell her that we have to do our bit for the environment !!!!
- Gajjru
Mon hp psc 2410 photosmart all-in-one ne veut plus s'allumer . L'écran LCD est bloqué sur le sablier et en plus on entend un bruit . çà tape. Qu'y-a--il à faire ?? Est-ce réparable ?
Merci si quelqu'un a la réponse.
J'ai essayé quelques astuces indiquées (appuyer sur la touche annuler, sur # et 3 . J'ai essayé aussi le coup du sèche cheveux.
Rien rien rien de rien . Help.
by unknown on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:51am Add comment
Before taking the scanner apart. Try this.

Unplug printer.

Press cancel button in as firmily as possible. I used a pencil. YOUR FINGER IS TOO BIG AND WONT WORK.

Plug power cord back into printer while keeping cancel button pressed.

Keep cancel button firmly pressed until hourglass disappears and the photo, copy, scan, fax buttons start blinking. It wont work if you let go of the cancel button before the buttons start blinking.

Hope this helps someone.
by unknown on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:40pm Add comment
How long should you have to hold down the cancel button - Anonymous
I have had my HP since 2004 without any problems. Just this past week it kept telling me to realign then reset either of the cartridges, then it locked half way across the bar and I couldn't release the cartridges. I took it to a computer repair shop. A small black band ( about the size of a rubber band) had broken. They told me it would cost more to repair than for me to buy a new one. It has done a lot of printing and I believe I have gotten my monies worth out of it. Those who are complaining haven't stated how long they had their printer. I am out looking for another HP.
by unknown on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:20am Add comment
Well first of all this doesn't mean it's broke. It's not. My 2410 starting doing this yesterday while in the middle of an important project. After reading these threads and trying everything I read, I finally got it working. I took the advice of a user who suggested moving the scanner arm to the middle by hand and then turning it on. THIS WORKED !! No more grinding and forever hour glass. I feel empathy for anyone going through this and obligated to publish my solution. Good luck.
by apples on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:11pm Add comment
My 2610 will flash "out of paper" I'll press the ok button then "paper jam" will display I'll press the ok button then a blank sheet ejects then the printer begins to print or copy whichever I selected. HELP!!!!
by capt. on Mar 12, 2010 at 10:40am Add comment
AFTER HEARING THAT CLUNKING FOR QUITE A WHILE AND TRYING EVERYTHING, SOMETIMES IT WOULD WORK FOR A FEW DAYS AND THEN IT WOULD START CLUNKING...AGAIN...I HAVE JUST TAKEN MY PRINTER OUT TO THE GARBAGE CAN, SAID A PRAYER AND THREW IT AWAY...AMEN!!!!
by unknown on May 3, 2010 at 9:02pm Add comment
Brand new HP cartridge - can't get past the "check print cartridges" error message. No success with cleaning contacts, holding down reset buttons, power resets. Nothing works. So I'm done with HP. I will NEVER buy anything from them again. NEVER. And I'm going to tell everyone I possibly can about this cr*p experience. Starting now - NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM HP. Are you listening to your customers HP????? I'm taking a short walk to the garbage can too.
by Anonymous on May 6, 2010 at 8:24am Add comment
my printer says to recycle power i have powered down several times and also tried power and press # 3 at the same time and it still does not work any suggestions
by Anonymous on May 19, 2010 at 10:22pm Add comment
Try running the HPPDU.exe application. It worked for me after several frustrating days of trying to get my printerr to work on windows 7.
Good Luck!
by unknown on Jun 17, 2010 at 5:22am Add comment
I've had my 2410 since it first came out... a lot of year.
I love it. It recently started making the scan head noises and fix that. But now my color scan button doesn't work.
Can that be fixed?

I also found one at a thrift store. It will connect to a PC (my old one doesn't any longer). But the power button flashes. Does anyone know what to do?
HP diagnostic tool says there nothing wrong.....
by aquaeyes on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:06am Add comment
MY CARRIAGE BELT AND ONE OF THE TWO RUBBER CONNECTORS THAT ATTACHES THE BELT CARRIER TO THE CARRIAGE BROKE. WHERE CAN I GET A REPLACEMENT BELT AND RUBBER CONNECTOR?

THANK YOU.
by unknown on Jun 25, 2010 at 1:29pm Add comment
please unsubscribe. I don't have any more this printer !
Tks
Regards
Margareth Dupont
by unknown on Jun 26, 2010 at 11:17pm Add comment
NEW QUICK EASY SOLUTION!

With the printer off and power cord still plugged in, hold the CANCEL button and then press(not hold) the ON button and let go of the CANCEL button just before the busy light starts blinking(maybe half a second) and you're done!

I've tried the method where you have to hold the cancel button throughout the startup process (which took forever to work) and that actually worked sometimes but this time I wasn't able to get it to work after trying maybe 20+ times. I just tried this method and my printer is fine now. Will be using this method next time printer messes up from another power outage.
by etsu on Jul 27, 2010 at 5:40pm Add comment
Thank you for the help. I'm glad it worked for you, but it did not work for me.
by unknown on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:27pm Add comment
Flashing "on" button with hour glass. GRRRRR
Nothing else happens
by Ina on Aug 11, 2010 at 11:12am Add comment
Wow thanks everyone for your posts, I fixed my psc2410 that had the crappy grinding noise here mostly thanks to a good cleaning, (i went and cleaned all the mirors and all i could really)
but when I noticed someone pressed # and 3 together to reset and it gave a proper reset message (unlike pressing cancel which does nothing)

so I tried other numbers and found that:

#3 is partial reset
#6 is semi total reset
#9 is total reset

So I thought I'd share the info :)

Anyway after cleaning all i could, I totally reset the damn thing and it's now up and running :)

Thanks for the tips
by unknown on Aug 25, 2010 at 8:37pm Add comment
Dear Chrisgyver,

None of the other fixes worked. So I tried your recommended #9, and low and behold, my printer works again.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
by unknown on Aug 28, 2010 at 11:26pm Add comment
Just another "Thank you" to those who have taken the time to share what works. I would never have self-discovered any of these solutions. Your patience and persistence have made a difference.
by unknown on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:35pm Add comment
"Be cautious or you will disconnect the encoder strip from it's mounting hooks."

Is that the thin smokey-brown plastic strip? If so, I did accidentally disconnect it while clearing a paper jam. It's not damaged, just out of the printer. How do I hook it back in--or should I take it in for repair? Thanks!
by unknown on Aug 31, 2010 at 10:58am Add comment
My HP psc 2410xi photosmart printer simply spouts out pages that are completely blank. It sounds like it's printing but the sheets are blank. What's the cure?
by LeonardNolt on Sep 3, 2010 at 11:11am Add comment
Hi LeonardNolt. It is a long time since your post here but if the printer is still spewing blank sheets then have you checked the print catridges has ink int? I had the same problem recently and simply replaced it with new ones. - Gajjru
I have a problem with this printer. I had a paper jam, and in the process of clearing it out the alignment ribbon became detached on one side. I reattached it, but I'm still getting an error message to the effect that the alignment is faulty.

I really don't know what to do about this. I complained to HP and they blew me off. They will neither fix the printer nor provide a replacement part. Their customer service is terrible; these people can't even speak English.

If anyone has a fix for this, please let me know.

Kevin Toon
by unknown on Sep 22, 2010 at 6:59am Add comment
Hi Kevin,

Try this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Hope it helps. - Gajjru
Well thank you to the person who came up with the idea of cleaning the inside of the glass.
I have a Hp 2410 and it has worked fine for years.
then all of a sudden it started to click and grind. By cleaning the scanner glass cured it for me.
It was an absolute pig getting the screwws out but once the glass is spotless in side away it went a rather bashed but working HP2410

Many thanks
Robert
by unknown on Sep 28, 2010 at 8:00am Add comment
i have a 2410xi photosmart, while trying to use it all lights kept blinking my lift up screen doesn't work so i don't know whats wrong with it. the screen is completely black. anybody got any ideas?
by smokeye7 on Dec 19, 2010 at 7:56pm Add comment
I HAVE THE HP PSC 2410 PHOTOSMART ALL-IN-ONE AND THE SCREEN KEEPS TELLING ME TO REMOVE AND CHECK PRINT CARTRIGES. I HAVE TAKEN THEM OUT AND PUT THEM BACK IN,AND THE SCREEN KEEPS TELLING ME THE SAME THING...OVER AND OVER.HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM.
by unknown on Jan 11, 2011 at 7:59am Add comment
HELP!!! ANYONE???

My POS hp 2410 won't go online so I can print. I have it connected with a USB cable and have tried everything, reinstalling the driver, etc! It won't recognize it and I can't print - anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
by unknown on Feb 7, 2011 at 1:38am Add comment
HAVE YOU TRIED TOTAL RESET? # AND 9. WHEN ALL ELSE FAILED, IT WORKED FOR ME.
by unknown on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:44am Add comment
Hello All,

I've written to this thread before explaining my problem with the HP. I've tried every solution offered, and I'm still getting an error message: Carridge Jam. What is interesting is that when the machine powers up, and moves the cartridges across the brown strip, it always stops at the SAME SPOT regardless of where I put the cartidges initially. (The ribbon is threaded where it should be.)

What does this suggest? Is it likely to be the brown ribbon itself? Can it be cleaned? Is the part available if it must be replaced? Maybe somebody has an old psc 4210 with the brown ribbon intact. Let me know if you do. Maybe replacing it is the answer.

I really hate to pitch an entire printer for this one problem.

Kevin Toon
by unknown on Feb 12, 2011 at 11:53am Add comment
Ribbon is known as an Encoder Strip. It should not be brown. It is clear with tiny black vertical lines on it. It can get ink contamination on it. To clean, spray some Window Cleaner on a paper towel. Fold the wet spot so it straddles both sides of the strip and gently run it from one end to the other, being careful not to pull the strip off its mounts or rip it. Then move the assembly to the other side and clean the rest of the strip. Repeat until the paper towel shows no more ink coming off the strip. - moe
Thanks. I had the same problem and was convinced that I needed a new printer. The cancel button worked like a charm
by maosman on Feb 26, 2011 at 7:05pm Add comment
i have never used the scan option on this printer before--im not very tech savy but from what i understand about this, is that because i am now using windows 7 instead of windows 98 ,i am unable to scan something by just hitting a button on the printer, but instead i have to go through a completely different proceedure--is that correct
by jrflyaa on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:27am Add comment
Had some virus problems with computer - has anyone got a copy of HP 2410 Photosmart all in one software so I can re-install my printer??
by unknown on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:37pm Add comment
My PSC 2410 has been used for several years as just a "scanner". Recently, I found an unused print cartridge and replaced the black cartridge... what a mistake.

Now, the printer attempts to align the print cartridge, and pulls a piece of paper and immediately says "out of paper" while a piece of paper is HALF WAY through the printer. When I clear that error, it says there was a paper jam. This is a continuous, never ending cycle and now the printer won't scan anymore because it always wants to align. Removing the cartridge produces another "insert cartridge" error.

I am stuck in a loop. I just want to scan only again. Forget the printing. Is it possible to reset it somehow? I have already tried holding down # and 9 when plugging in the printer.

Thank you.

by unknown on Apr 21, 2011 at 8:58pm Add comment
Help !
I have been trying to print some photos on photographic paper, but the printer stops and I then get a message saying "printer is out of paper" I tried printing out the photos on ordinary 80g paper - no problem. I configured the setting on the printer to take photographic paper, but nothing. Can anyone help, please?
by camachera on Apr 23, 2011 at 6:53am Add comment
if you have problem with your printer hp 2400 2410 all in one photosmart send me and email with your phone number I have the real solution forget the freaking cancel button and all that other solution there is a simple thing to do to make it work
by unknown on May 9, 2011 at 8:01pm Add comment
I have been trying to print some documents. I can get through the initial setup for printing but when I start it goes to copy and shoots me a blank piece of paper. I might add that I was turning the printer on and we had a power outage at the same time. It copies fine but will not print from screen. Any ideas??
by flhawk on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:05pm Add comment
2nd time i had the flashing light , hour glass. This time holding the cancel button during power up didn't work. after trying # 3 and # 6 and all the other tips I resorted to taking it apart as described. First pop of the top lid in the back at the hinge . it discloses a screw that comes out. when taking off the control panel move it towards yourself as you try to pop it out. I didn't see any mirrors unless the white strip is considered a mirror. I just cleaned the glass. I did remove the ribbons from the connections so i could work with the glass unit easier. after putting it back together it came on line..
what you have to do .. I guess i can put this on my resume..
HP printer repair man. only 2.5 hours fooling around with it. Otherwise we haven't had too many problems. Had it about 2 yrs or more
by DaveFischer on Jul 4, 2011 at 10:51am Add comment
I had the lock up issue, the hour glass and noise making issue, and just hit on a solution.
I plugged the unit directly into a wall outlet and not into a plugstrip; (I think these units are sensitive to power loads, so it might lock up if the power level drops.) To get it out of the hour glass screen, hold down the "On" button with the "Setup" button for about 20 seconds.
It reset and eventually went into the main menu. That's what I did. Try it.
TM
by unknown on Jul 26, 2011 at 6:05am Add comment
"Remove and check color cartridge."

I have tried EVERY "solution" posted here. If it was posted, I tried it.

No luck.

If a company has such bad service and decides to turn a blind eye to its problems, do they think people will just go out and buy a new set of (their) problems?

It just pisses me off to no end the mind-set of some companies.

(I also have a problem with a HP laptop purchased not too long ago, LCD screen stopped working. This problem with the higher-end [expensive] printer at the time of purchase on top of that, you can bet HP will no longer be in our future starting today.)
by unknown on Aug 2, 2011 at 12:40am Add comment
I hope this helps someone....

HP 2410xi printer was driving me nuts with "remove and check color cartridge" error message which first showed up when I restarted the printer after a power outage. No relief with brand new color cartridge, cleaning contacts, power recycling, etc.

Found this (finally) at bottom of this HP support thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com

Problem with my printer turned out to be the BLACK ink cartridge. Replaced it and printer promptly starting working again, with no further error messages.

by unknown on Aug 9, 2011 at 5:31pm Add comment
After reading inkster advice regards to removing the colour ink cartridge and restarting the printer,my 2410 it has decided to reset itself after "hours" of mucking about with trying the different procedures that the good people on here have listed to try to fix this common problem, it seems!!

Thank you Inkster, hopefully someone else will be able to use this advice to fix this frustrating error.
by unknown on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:53am Add comment
hey i am having a problem my printer is not working i am not getting any thing to work up in the window it reads cycle power which i don't know what that means i also tried to reinstall the soft wear but i keep saying that it couldn't be found, what coukd be my problem
by unknown on Sep 11, 2011 at 9:23am Add comment
I had a new WIN 7 software computer from a Win XP computer. So, I used the HPPIW.exe Wizard for WIN 7.

I still got that Ca-chunk, Ca-chunk noise for a minute after it was turned on....until I opened the back door on the HP 2410 Printer. Press the two lock tabs toward the center, remove the door and replace the door...the non functional buttons on the control panel (right-top-front) started to function.
by unknown on Sep 14, 2011 at 5:15am Add comment
Having the same noise and hour glass just turning. I have tried all the things mentioned. I finally tried the total reset now it just says total reset on the screen. Any Ideas?
by arctic on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:41pm Add comment
plz driver do
by unknown on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:22am Add comment
I had the clicking sound happen for me as well - tried resetting, holding cancel, unplugging, etc.

What worked for me on the first try is moving the scanner head! I didn't move it to the middle, I moved it almost all the way to the left and it worked like a charm.

You need a Hex Key T10 CR-V Screwdriver (we happen to have one in the tool box!).

Here's how to do it:

- Lift up the scanner lid and pull that little grey lever forward as you lift up the scanner lid. It comes right off.

Then take off the 3 screws (2 on the top left side, 1 on the top back middle).

It was a little bit snug to get my hands underneath the glass - but if you just jockey it a bit, it'll pull towards you and just slide it towards the left about 1/2-7/8s of the way. (be sure not to get finger prints on the inside of the scanner glass).

I plugged my printer back in with the screws still out and it worked immediately! woo!

Thanks to the person who suggested it!
by unknown on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:31pm Add comment
Hi Can some one help me,my printer was working fine then just flashed up check cartriges, I have replaced black but still the same message I dont use colour and this has never been a problem (the empty cartridge is in machine). I have cleaned contacts and cannot reset it as when I start it up it goes straight to "check cartriges". Any help would be apreciated.
by unknown on Nov 27, 2011 at 11:30am Add comment
I have had this HP printer for quite some time and have never had any real problems with it. I have recently rearranged my office and checked the printer to make sure it still worked fine. The only problem I had that I didnt have before my rearraging is that the office phone didnt work. Internet worked, printer worked. So I added a port to the wall with the modem and printer together on one telephone wall port and the the phone on the other wall port. Now I get internet, but no phone and printer is slow. It says the printer is ready, but when it comes time to print, if I pring one page, it sees it as 7 in the queue and doesnt print the pages. It freezes. Any suggestions??
by unknown on Jan 4, 2012 at 8:52am Add comment
Hi,

I recently upgraded to windows 7 and now I can only print. I've lost the scan & fax option. I've tried to locate a driver update but have been unsuccessful.

Can anyone assist?
by unknown on Jan 21, 2012 at 6:38pm Add comment
Well I've got to put this out there, after all the issues I've seen with this printer and the clicking sound and hourglass and printer not working. This one simple thing fixed it for me so hopefully if someone else out there is still having this issue this will help, and its WAY easier than pulling apart the printer!:

1. Open the printer to where the printer cartridges are ready to be removed

2. Pull power from the printer

3. Remove the printer cartridges and close holders for cartridges

4. close the printer

5. connect power to the printer

6. The printer should power on without getting to the clicking sound, and it should prompt you to insert the printer cartridges

7. Insert printer cartridges and close printer

Printer should work!

Hope this works for others like it worked for me, good luck!
by gldiii on May 21, 2012 at 7:14pm Add comment
I'm having the same problem with the "remove and check print cartridges" message. I have done this and every other fix I have read about on this help page and it simply won't stop giving me this message. I haven't used this printer for about a year, installed new cartridges and now it won't work. It was fine before. Please help!
by martinfour2 on May 24, 2012 at 2:06pm Add comment
thumping noise, been happening for months and I kept just turning off any avoided using the thing, but suddenly decided, yes, really need to sort this out. Read all of the suggestions!!! tried the hold the cancel button down with a pen suggestion and it worked... weird. no cleaning, although i can see it really needs a good clean. maybe one day when I really think i need to pull something apart! thanks everyone for all these suggestions.
by unknown on Jun 2, 2012 at 5:37am Add comment
THUMPING/CLICKING OF SCANNER HEAD

I was considering re-posting all the good info here, but let me just say that if you go through it, you WILL find your answer to the scanner clicking, whether by resetting or by removing the top and moving the scanner head. None of that did it for me, though. What did was gldiii (just above) who suggested plugging it in with no print cartridges. That's the one that worked for me.
by ruthlwest on Aug 14, 2012 at 10:58am Add comment
is it at posible to buy a disc for this printer the download won't work
by unknown on Aug 29, 2012 at 5:04pm Add comment
'remove and check color cartridge'

Ok, like 'inkster' from 8/9/11, I went through this forum from beginning and tried everything (moving scanner halfway, cleaned scanner glass, changed color cartridge, reinserted both cartridges, held cancel button down, tried # and 3, # and 9, etc.) and nothing worked. I have been using refurbished ink cartridges, and just wasn't willing to give up. One item of note, though, I had an 8 hr power outage, and instead of letting my surge protector do its job, I actually pulled the plug on the whole thing. My problems started after that. No idea why. I finally got to 'inkster's entry about changing the black ink cartridge. I had changed the color one, but not the black one. During my trials, my error message switched to 'removing and checking the cartridge on the right stall'. Well, I finally put in a new (albeit refurbished) black cartridge, and it started working (the error message finally changed). Was able to clean and align the printers. The message 'remove and check cartridge in right stall' came back, but I am able to print. .... After many hours like everyone else on this forum...thank you everyone!! for your persistence, and for whatever you did to fix your printer. I really didn't want to get another printer, since I still have 2 unused cartridges. So hope this helps someone else.....
by unknown on Nov 2, 2012 at 8:58pm Add comment
'remove and check color cartridge'

Ok, like 'inkster' from 8/9/11, I went through this forum from beginning and tried everything (moving scanner halfway, cleaned scanner glass, changed color cartridge, reinserted both cartridges, held cancel button down, tried # and 3, # and 9, etc.) and nothing worked. I have been using refurbished ink cartridges, and just wasn't willing to give up. One item of note, though, I had an 8 hr power outage, and instead of letting my surge protector do its job, I actually pulled the plug on the whole thing. My problems started after that. No idea why. I finally got to 'inkster's entry about changing the black ink cartridge. I had changed the color one, but not the black one. During my trials, my error message switched to 'removing and checking the cartridge on the right stall'. Well, I finally put in a new (albeit refurbished) black cartridge, and it started working (the error message finally changed). Was able to clean and align the printers. The message 'remove and check cartridge in right stall' came back, but I am able to print. .... After many hours like everyone else on this forum...thank you everyone!! for your persistence, and for whatever you did to fix your printer. I really didn't want to get another printer, since I still have 2 unused cartridges. So hope this helps someone else.....
by unknown on Nov 2, 2012 at 9:04pm Add comment
Hello to all of you!

A friend of mine has a hp psc 2410 printer, which has the following problem:

In the lcd display, is showing the message "remove and check ink cartridges". When I remove the color cartridge, it appears the message "put color cartridge" but, when I remove the black cartridge, it appears the message "remove and check color cartridge". Is that mean that he must replace the color cartridge?

Thank you in advance!
by unknown on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:51am Add comment
That would seem to be indicated. You can first try cleaning the contacts on the cartridge and the ones that it mates with. Cotton swab moistened with alcohol are what I recommend.
by moe on Nov 30, 2012 at 10:15am Add comment
just unplug. hold down cancel and OK keys before start. and then plug-in and press start button. it worked for me..
by unknown on Jan 9, 2013 at 10:56pm Add comment
I am losing my (MIND) well, at least my patience as I have tried to the best of my knowledge to do most of the things previously printed eceptt!!!!____Where the heck are you all finding these symbols and numbers ??? I have a C5140 photosmart all in one with 4 up and down arrow keys with ok button in the middle, a back button, a cancel buttton, preview, setup, help, & rotate button. along side those there is enlarge and decrease x and minus on the control panel. Then a line of photosmart express, photo fix, photo reprints, print photos, and then- scan menu, start scan, then lastly: copy menu, and start cipy, with color option or black and then the on off button. NO number selections available or Symbils of * or # anywhere on the fron of my printer model so what to do??? This printer was fine just a few days ago and printed photos of my grandson then changed ink cartridge and Voila! catastrophe!!! Please help an old lady with a nervous disposition.

Thank You All
Davana
by Davana on May 27, 2013 at 4:39pm Add comment
I have owned this printer since 2004. I have experienced "the noise" in the past and it was always eliminated by unplugging the unit for several minutes. The other day we had a momentary power outage and the next time I went to use the printer I was greeted by the blinking light and "the noise". For the next 5+ hours, I followed all the various solutions posted on this website with no good results. I pushed all the button/reset solutions, removed the top to expose the print scanner (light cartridge), moved the scanner to various locations, cleaned the glass, removed the print scanner and cleaned the cloudy/hazy mirrors on the underside but "the noise" continued. It was about this time when I was ready to take a hammer and beat the shit out of this printer. Upon closer examination of the scanner, I realized that there were additional mirrors located inside the scanner near the light. I was cycling the printer once again and listening to "the noise" when I took a flashlight and shined it into the scanner next to the light just to see how it reflects. Suddenly "the noise" stopped. The extra light had had an effect on "the noise". This got me thinking that the mirrors inside the scanner might also be cloudy/hazy and preventing optimum light from doing whatever it does.. The cover on the scanner looked like it was removable and I was able to find a hook release on the bottom. The other release was located on top within a square hole near the front. Using a small screwdriver I was able to release it. Upon removing the top there were several mirrors that did need cleaning. I used Windex and a Q-Tip for all the mirrors. I put the top back on and cycled the printer only to have "the noise" still present. I used the flashlight again and "the noise" again stopped. More inspection got me thinking, why were there openings in the white shade behind the light? Again I took off the top of the scanner only this time I removed the light and the shade. There I found the last of the mirrors that had been totally hidden from view. After cleaning it and reassembling the scanner "the noise" was gone. I reassembled the entire printer and it is now working like new. Who would have thought that a couple of cloudy/hazy mirrors would have caused such a major malfunction. I am not a person to throw something away until I exhaust all possible means of fixing it but I can't tell you how close I came to using the hammer method on this printer. I hope this post is helpful.
by Shop Teacher on Nov 19, 2013 at 4:42pm Add comment
GREAT JOB! THANKS FOR SHARING.
by unknown on Nov 19, 2013 at 5:55pm Add comment
Power Surge and printer making clicking noise... this has been an ongoing problem for several years and I've found different ways that tell me how to fix it, none worked. Today I decided to try a different approach.
1. Hold "On/Off" button down until the Copy, Scan, Fax, and Photo lights are blinking.
2. Wait 15 seconds and then unplug power cord from back of printer.
3. Leave unplugged for an additional 15 seconds. Plugged cord back in, turn on printer.

This worked for me, that's why I'm writing it down this time because I always forget what I did the last time. I hope this will also work for you.
by deergen on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:55pm Add comment
+++ working solution on my end +++

For my printer, the grinding noise resulted from the paper transport wheels in the back of the device. These were a little stuck. Here's what I did:

1. open the back of the printer (using the two big clips)
2. you'll see a number of rather large wheels (four or so)
3. turn these wheels back and forth a little bit (don't be afraid to use some strength)

This unblocked the wheels and the printer started up just fine.
by unknown on Jun 19, 2014 at 5:16am Add comment
cause of the problem:power outage

So far this last one solution by Alex Switzerland worked as I've tried everything under the sun with this hp psc 2410-- from cleaning the glass bed/moving the scanner head to the middle and further/unplugging and holding down # 9 for full reset, etc etc. all these takes hours, and sometimes it worked sometimes not at all, and these things takes invasive measure by unscrewing here and there. The only thing that took just 15 mins for me are the steps below as modified from Alex Switzerlands fix, namely:

1. while printer is producing the grinding noise with hourglass icon on display--open the printer to take out both of your ink cartridges. Leave the printer open and exposed with no ink cartridges in it.
2. turn off printer by its power off button
3. you don't have to pull out the power plug at the back
4. turn on the printer back.
(this is to let the printer brain reroute it's thinking:) instead of focusing on the scanner head being stuck at that end corner and producing the grinding annoying noise it will detect to see that there are ink cartridges missing and the printer is left open.
5.do not push any other buttons wait for the printer to change from hour glass to say an error message "door open. close print cartridge access door." or "insert ink cartridges" of some sorts. with all 4 lights (copy/fax/scan/print) blinking with the power button also blinking.
6.replace in the ink cartridges as usual and close the print cartridge access door down.
7.the printer will prompt you to print a test page.wait for the hourglass to change and now show the default display. no blinking lights and just the fixed light for the power button and copy button. Voila! No more dismantling of parts and losing screws everywhere. Once again it becomes our loyal friend.

Remember human brain is bigger than printer's brain and with that in mind, we can conquer this man made machine and what nuisances it sometimes gives us:) That's why we don't throw out our computers old or broken. If we know how they are made and how they works-- we can fix them. Just like my grandma used to say "if you know how to eat, you know how to cook!" but then again it is a matter of time that you can afford. I love reading fix it blogs and I'm here to share it with you guys, so, you can save more drudgery and time for better things:) And that is why I love Linux too:)Thanks for all who share here and have evolved with the troubleshooting.
by kpv on Sep 19, 2014 at 10:25am Add comment
I used to have the very same problem with my 2410. Solution was the simple: The front panel white flat cable was making the scanner mechanism to get stuck and not allowing it to return all way back to its initial position. The printer does not like it and keeps making that noise which is basically the movement of the mechanism against the flat cable. Beleve me: it is as simple as that!!!! Notice if your flat cable does not have marks or wrinkles. What possibly happens on many of cases discussed here is that after disassembling and assembling all the these parts (for cleaning and etc) SOMETIMES the cable stay in a position that do not cause the issue. In my understanding, pure LUCK. The problem was solved just pulling the white flat cable all the way out BEFORE putting the front panel back to its position. The important thing is to be sure that no part of the flat cable is left on the way of the scanner mechanism. Hope it helps!
by unknown on Jun 21, 2015 at 9:37am Add comment