johnrobey

asked May 22, 2006 at 6:33pm
Epson Epson Stylus CX3200

Epson CX3200 Error Light

I have an Epson CX3200 with the following problem. When it is turned on it checks the paper then a red light comes on and the readout indicates "Error" with no other information. It then just says See Manual.
Can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks
I have just managed to repair my Epson CX3200 thanks to the site! It took 24 hours of messing about but now it works perfectly again. It had the error light on and the display said certain items inside printer are beyond user life contact distributor. It has been a great machine for 3 years exactly and as it had been performing perfectly I was loathe to bin it. I followed the advice and hey presto! I have few tips to anyone attempting same.
1. Download from the site as recommended SSC Service Utility http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/
2. When taking off the scanner unit there is a smallish cover on the left hand side of the printer at the back; remove this and disconnect two ribbon cables, two cables with push pin conectors and a spade connector, 5 altogether.
3. Two screws hold down the hinges of the scanner unit remove and store carefully. Lift off scanner unit.
4. Take out four screws holing printer body on, long magnetic philips screwdriver needed. store screws lift off cover.
5. At back of printer are the three waste ink pads; use a spade end screw driver to lift out one at a time. They are about 5cm x 9cm and the bottom one is slightly different shape to other two.
6. Rinse them thoroughly with water and then squeeze out and dry. I used kitchen roll and then hair dryer.
7. Replace one at a time tucking in corner bits with screwdriver.
8. Replace body, scanner unit, wires and cover.
9. Connect up printer and switch on. Error light will come on again; don't dispair, this is what fooled me. Open SSC utility on desktop and then close; icon appears in lower right screen on application bar like printer icon. Right click and pop up menu appears; left click on "Protection Counter" and then "Reset Protection Counter".
10. Turn off printer and then switch back on again. Error light should go out and you can carry on.
by unknown on Aug 28, 2006 at 2:16pm Add comment
I would like to say thank you very much to Mike for the detailed instructions on how to get my CX3200 going again. I was considering replacing the machine because I didn't think it would be cost effective to get it repaired, and was searching the internet for possible replacements when I came across this site. I followed the instructions, and it works! Thank you, Mike. - SGP
I know it is some time since this item was posted - but I think that the info in it warrants some thanks.
I was almost resigned to hours of frustrating pottering and testing when presented with a CX3200 with this 'Error'.
A quick click on the link given, a sharp intake of breath at all the Romanian on the screen!!, and then using the link "Epson CSIC Utility" and changing to the English page - and Hey Presto, my dreams were answered.

This seems to be one of those little gems that pop up every now and again on the Net.

Thanks to all those who took the time to let us mere mortals in on the secret. - Anonymous
Thank you for instructions that safely led me through taking apart and reassembling my printer. Unfortunately the red light continues to plague me. Do you have any other suggestions or should I, with great regret, bin it? - Anonymous
brilliant advice, worked first time many thanx to mike. - Anonymous
I was ready to dump my printer when I read your solution, I had tried everything to clear the error light but no joy. Followed your instructions (get your rubber gloves and plenty of kitchen towel) and it is now working as good as new. Thanks . - Anonymous
Hi Mike

I was looking to the web you recommended, but it seems to be not working .
Researching for a better acknowledgments i found this http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

It is ssc service for Epson printers

Have a nice time - unknown
I have just fixed my CX3200, following your excellent instructions. Did say how long it took to get your hands clean tho!! - patdunham
ohmigod! ohmigod! ohmigod! It works! It works! It works! For Step #9 I totally had to pack up my printer, software disk, and cables in a travel bag and go to my local university to use their PCs, because all my friends have macs too. I got up the courage to ask the uni people about downloading internet software to reset my printer, and they had special computers "expressly for downloading academic software" for me to use. After downloading, I had to hook up my CX3200 to the uni computer, and then install it's software so dude's cool download would let me select my printer. (If the uni said "no" for the software bit, I was going to ask my local neighborhood association to use their PC, or try the techies at work.) "dbole"'s note about having the printer in both boxes for the "ssc utility" is right on. Backing up to Step #2, if you're a ditz like me, be careful with the cable connections--you don't have to pull out the things they sit in on the green board. The ribbons come out bare--just tug gently and try not to bend them or mess up the shiny stripes where they go in. Take your time and google 'em if you're not sure. Lastly, that pad business (Step #6) is SO GROSS. Use gloves, a deep sink if you have one, low water pressure, and PATIENCE to minimize spattering. I survived & thanks to y'all, I totally MacGyver'd my printer! Yipee!
by jorichar on Jan 6, 2008 at 5:21pm Add comment
My thanks also to Mike. I just finished getting my printer going again instead of paying a minimum of $66 at $88 per hour for a recognized Epson printer repair place to do the work. I also re-wrote (and added some additional information that might help) to Mike’s instructions below.

I have just managed to repair my Epson CX3200 thanks to the site! It took 24 hours of messing about but now it works perfectly again. It had the error light on and the display said certain items inside printer are beyond user life contact distributor. It has been a great machine for 3 years exactly and as it had been performing perfectly I was loathe to bin it. I followed the advice and hey presto! I have few tips to anyone attempting same.

1. Download from the site as recommended SSC Service Utility http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/

2. When taking off the scanner unit there is a smallish cover on the back of the printer (on the right hand side when facing the back of the printer); remove this and disconnect two ribbon cables, two cables with push pin conectors and a spade connector, 5 altogether. (Note: be careful with the ribbon cable connections--you don't have to pull out the black connector on the green circuit board that the ribbon cables are stuck into. The ribbons just come out bare from the black circuit board connector plug --just tug gently and try not to bend the ribbon cables or mess up the shiny stripes on the end of the ribbon cable where the ribbon cable goes into the black circuit board connector. Take your time and google 'em if you're not sure.

3. Two screws on the back of the printer hold down the hinges of the scanner lid. Remove and store carefully. Lift off scanner unit.

4. Remove the top front half of the top of the printer body that was covered by the scanner lid. Remove and store the three screws carefully.

5. Take out the four screws holding the printer body (the part the scanner lid was screwed to) to the base part of the printer, long magnetic philips screwdriver needed. Two screws are located at the bottom of the holes that the scanner lid hinges were stuck into. The other two screws are located on the bottom inside of the printer near the front of the printer. Store screws and lift off cover.

6. At back of printer are the three waste ink pads; use a spade end screw driver and a needle nose pair of pliers to lift out one at a time. They are about 5cm x 9cm and the bottom one is slightly different shape to other two. Keep them in the right order from top to bottom. (Note: Use needle nose pliers to pull them out as they are full of ink. Also put them on something that won’t allow ink to drop on your rug etc. when you move the waste ink pads to the kitchen sink.)

7. Rinse the waste ink pads thoroughly with water and then squeeze out and dry. I used kitchen roll and then hair dryer. (Note: Use rubber gloves so your hands don’t get stained, a deep stainless steel sink if you have one, low water pressure that is on before you start rinsing out the waste ink pads, plenty of paper towels on a surface that won’t be stained by the ink, and PATIENCE to minimize spattering. And wear clothes that you won’t care if they get splattered by ink.)

8. Replace the dry waste ink pads one at a time tucking in corner bits with screwdriver.

9. Replace body, scanner unit, wires and cover.

10. Connect up printer and switch on. Error light will come on again; don't dispair, this is what fooled me. Open SSC utility on desktop and then close; icon appears in lower right screen on application bar like printer icon. Right click and pop up menu appears; left click on "Protection Counter" and then "Reset Protection Counter". (Note: make sure, when you open the SSC utility, to choose the printer you have in both boxes, in case it doesn’t come up automatically.)

11. Turn off printer and then switch back on again. Error light should go out and you can carry on.
by unknown on Feb 18, 2010 at 10:34am Add comment
Thank you so much for posting these instructions! It took me about 3 hours but I have now successfully cleaned the waste ink container.

I didn't get the error light, but that was because I did a temporary fix by using the SSC utility to reset the counter beforehand (a few months ago). Had I left it I would be surprised if I hadn't got the error.

One thing to bear in mind... those ink trays get very dirty! The 3rd one (at the very bottom) was SATURATED with ink after 8 years of use. How it didn't get on my carpet, I do not know! - spotify95
I have an Epson CX3200 here that comes up with an error light as soon as you power up and it has done the paper check. Very grateful for any help that you could give me. My names Lionel
by [email protected] on Aug 1, 2006 at 2:41am Add comment
I just wanted to say first, theat the step by step directions were very helpful, and saved my boss from buying a new printer. The only other thing I would add would be, during step 9, to make sure, when you open the SSC utility, to choose the printer you have in both boxes, in case it doesnt come up automatically. I have 5 printers in my window, and it defualted to the Microsoft image writer, so, gave me problems at first, until I selected the Epson printer, then all was fine. I know, kinda a given, but, even us techs forget the little simple things sometimes. Great job, and love the site, its been a godsend too many times to count.
by dbole on Apr 19, 2007 at 7:12am Add comment
Really pleased this was of use to someone. I've since replaced the printer with CX4800 which is very good and cheap. I like Epson stuff but don't understand why they don't do more to keep customers in these competitive days. Mike
by Anonymous on Apr 21, 2007 at 12:07pm Add comment
Make sure that the correct printer is selected on the SSC software under the configuration tab, i also applied the Reset Counter option, turned off printer, turned on again and the error was still there. I later found out that the default printer model was the Epson Stylus 400, all i did was select the CX3200 model and select Reset counter again, turned off printer then back on and worked like a charm :)
by Anonymous on May 14, 2007 at 7:30pm Add comment
Many thanks to Mikeft219 for the great detailed instructions above, this is a great printer and well worth the trouble of resetting etc
by viking on May 27, 2007 at 1:29am Add comment
Is there a version of the download for mac? I have an Epson CX3200 on the skits and now have pristine waste pads due to these fabulous instructions. But, I am having trouble opening the "sscserve.exe" file on my mac to select my printer for reset. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. May the electron gods shine on you for creating this thread!
by jorichar on Jan 4, 2008 at 8:04pm Add comment
I'm in the same boat - My CX3200 comes up with an Error light with the text "Scanner Error" All other functions are locked out. Haven't done the pad cleaning yet, but did check the plugs as in step #2. Macintosh G4 system 10.4.11 and 9.2.2.

Rush
by unknown on Jan 5, 2008 at 7:24pm Add comment
Hello my friends...I followed each one of the step by step guide which I found very helpfull, except fo rhte fact that at the time I used the application it stated that my printer was not on (which it was) or other problem.
Has anyone else found any other case why this happens?
I have a Red steady ligh and yes I did get the message of "Parts in your printer blablablabla...."
Can somebody help me?
Regards
Mauricio
by mau on Apr 9, 2008 at 10:41am Add comment
Wow what a great instruction post. I use my Cx 3200 every single day for printing out Tattoo flash. I open a new studio today and the Thing collapsed yesterday morining . What a feckin time to pack up on me.
Typed in the same old 'engineers service required' as posted a million times above and found this.

I plugged it back in just after midnight after following the instructions here and Voila Its Perfect once again. Definately a good tip to get the Latex/rubber gloves on though. Feck me! The waste pads must of had a good 5 maybe more cartridges of ink soaked into em!

Whoever you are that posted the original ..... I love you.. Sort of .... In a non Gay kinda way. Nice one Dude.
by Ta2rtist on Apr 19, 2008 at 2:01am Add comment
Another thank you from a mac user. Jorichar was a great help in making the switch with a mac. Great printer, great site.
by unknown on May 21, 2009 at 1:20pm Add comment
Thanks again to mikeft219 for his detailed instructions - I found this thread and asked my tech person to try this on my 2003 epson.....wow...I'm up and running again if the sponge-bob ink filled pads still hold. Wish I could get my $$ back on all that wasted ink though.
by unknown on Jun 9, 2009 at 11:21am Add comment
I did everything that was stated here and I thought everything was going good but somehow my printer won't turn on now. I'm pretty sure I connected everything right. Which one of the things that I disconnected actually provides the power source?
by May on Oct 10, 2009 at 9:01pm Add comment
Thank you, thank you!! Worked like a charm. Was thinking I had to just throw away the CX3200 after having it work for 8+ years.
Thank you for fix again
Dave Zuver
by unknown on Jun 1, 2010 at 11:40am Add comment
When doing this repair ie cleaning the pads, could you just extend the tube outside the printer into a bottle or ??
by cmmwiebe on Sep 1, 2010 at 8:34am Add comment
This solution came up under Epson CX5400. Will this work for the 5400 or just for the 3200? My printer will scan from Smart Panel but won't print after that. It also won't copy while the error light is on. Surprise Surprise!!!
by Faerymagikal on Sep 20, 2010 at 4:40pm Add comment
Buonasera,
ho la lampada dello scanner della stampante Epson CX3200 non funzionante e vorrei porovare a cambiarla.
Qualcuno sa come si fa??
Grazie
by unknown on May 15, 2012 at 12:49pm Add comment
Just performed above procedure and my printer is back working ...excellent! thanks for this.
by unknown on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:50am Add comment
Just reset another CX3200 - that was the 4th unit I've had to use the SSCLG program on - works each time.

BTW, for cleaning blocked print head - tip: obtain 70\% IPA (Isopropanol - Isopropyl Alcohol) fluid, a 2ml syringe and a 10cms of 2mm ID tubing, and 15mm wide strips of blotting paper (to slide under print head). Fill syringe and attached tubing, warm in container of hot water, then attach to each cartridge nipple in turn (Colour x 3, Black x 1) having removed the cartridge first.

Inject 0.2ml into each, working right to left (yellow, red, blue then black). Leave for 5 mins, repeat x 3. Replace blotting paper under print head each time. Finally replace ink cartridges, and several head cleaning cycles later, there's a good chance the blocked jets are now working.
by unknown on May 1, 2014 at 2:08am Add comment

Unfortunately my Epson CX3200 that I repaired before, has now had enough. After a problem with a jammed piece of paper (that required removal of the top cover), one of the ribbon cables is now damaged and it says Scanner Error after about a minute or so. Thankfully it connects to my computer still and I have the SSC Scanner Utility, so I will continue to use it (all functions still work) until the protection counter goes again. It's currently on 12425, and when it gets to 23,000+ it will likely conk out. When that happens, it's time to say goodbye, as I am not emptying the pads all over again.

by spotify95 on Dec 20, 2017 at 1:59pm Add comment