unknown

asked Jun 25, 2005 at 10:32pm
Hp HP CopyJet Color

HP23 cartridge, and a stubborn color.

I have an HP23 cartridge for my HP 710C printer. It was all dried up when I bought the printer 2nd hand a few days ago. The magenta worked at the time, but yellow and cyan did not. After some soaking in cleaning solution, I got the yellow to work, but even after soaking for 24 hours, cyan still does not flow.

What are some other tricks I can try to get the stubborn cyan flowing? If I can get that to work, then this cartridge would be 100\% opperational and I would be a happy camper.

Thanks.
Some people have gotten stubborn cartridges working by using a vacuum cleaner.
by Bert on Jun 25, 2005 at 11:23pm Add comment
How does that technique work?
by unknown on Jun 25, 2005 at 11:39pm Add comment
The only way they could be doing that is to use the vacuum cleaner to suck on the nozzles, this might pull the clog out.

I would be very careful trying this as you might end up sucking out the ink from the colors that are working.

Likely as not the Cyan is just totally dried up.

I soak cartridges in plain water, I find a coffee cup that fit's the cartridge "just right" so I can stand the cartridge in about 1/8 inch of water and leave it there for an hour, the idea is to barely cover the nozzles. If you have distilled water available it is prefered over tap water.

If soaking in cold water does not help you can try heating the water in a microwave before you put the cartridge in.

What cleaning solution did you use?
by Stephen on Jun 26, 2005 at 12:43am Add comment
I used the cleaning solution that is sold on this site. I soaked it in a very shallow dish of the solution overnight, and I even tried warming the solution.
by unknown on Jun 26, 2005 at 8:20am Add comment
There are two kits for that problem sold on this site, each kit applies to specific models.

One kit is for Epson and Canon printers, the other is for Epson Durabrite inks. Neither kit is specifically for HP.

I have had good results from plain or distilled water with HP.

I still think it's likely that the cartridge has just run out of the one color, continuing to try and resurect it will just cook the resistors that vaporize the ink.

What you might want to do is get a Stratitec refill kit, SAM's club sells them, and try to refill your color cartridge, start with just 3-4 ml of ink of the failing color.

If the ink cartridge has lost a color entirely do not add ink according to the instructions that come with the kit, insted insert the syringe with the "needle" pointed straight towards the nozzles, put the needle in as far as you can, (the object is to get the tip pretty close to the nozzles. With the nozzles pointed down slowly inject 3-4 ml of ink, allow cartridge to sit for a minute, then shake the cartridge vigorously in an up and down motion over a sink, you can shake it over whatever you want, but ink will likely be splattered during the shaking. Ink will usually not come back out of the fill hole, the ink chambers have "sponges" in them, (that's why you can't hear ink slosh when you shake the cartridges).

I've sucessfully used this technique several times now, once you get the ink flowing, then refill per the instructions with the kit.

You can also prime a cartridge by sucking on the nozzle end, the ink is not very tasty, and it stains your teeth for a day, if you try this put a bit of wadded up paper towel in your mouth in front of the nozzles, if you are lucky all the ink you suck out will end up on the paper toweling. The stain is very light and hardly noticeable.
by Stephen on Jun 26, 2005 at 12:17pm Add comment
LOL. Ok, I will try to suck the ink out. (This is not going to be good.) hahaha. Ill let you know how it goes. I have a feeling my friends will be making fun of my purple teeth soon.
by unknown on Jun 26, 2005 at 4:14pm Add comment
If you leave out the paper towel you get tri-color teeth.

If you drink coffee the yellow blends right in with your teeth.
by Stephen on Jun 26, 2005 at 5:38pm Add comment