unknown

asked Jan 16, 2005 at 8:50pm
Unknown Printer

lexmark x73 not printing color

The color ink level registering on the window is 3/4 full but it is still not printing color. Please give me some solutions.
HELP!!!!!
Rhonda: I'm sorry, but I don't actually work on Lexmark Printers, so I'm not really framiliar with them. However, ink cartridge problems are common to most makes of ink jet printers. Just because an ink cartridge or the monitor on the computer, is registering that the cartridge has ink in it, does not always mean it actually does. Its possible that the color ink cartridge is actually bad or even expired. Its also possible that the actual Printhead Assembly may actually be clogged or failing, if of couse your Lexmark Printer actually has a separate printhead assembly. Some printers have separate printhead assemblies [like Epson Printers] and some have the printhead assembly built into the actual ink cartridge itself [like HP Printers]...HERE'S SOME GENERAL INFORMATION ON INK CARTRIDGE PROBLEMS, THAT YOU MAYBE ABLE TO USE: You may simply have to try and eliminate these areas, to try and find out just what is causing your printers problem: a wrong cartridge; a bad cartridge; an expired cartridge [check the age date on the cartridge or the box it came in]; possible dirty electrical contacts or electrical chips [if your printers cartridges have elec contacts or elec chips on them] for the ink cartridge causing problems; sometimes even that the pull tape was not removed correctly; even corrupted Printer Drivers causing problems [download new drivers from manufactors Home Page web-site]. With your printer turned off and unplugged, simply try cleaning the electrical contacts/chips [if available] carefully and gently, with Distilled Water on Q-Tips or on a lint free rag. Its possible that the electrical contacts on the ink cartridge, or inside the Print Cartridge Holder Assembly, may simply be dirty. Using damp Q-tips [not wet or dripping], gently and carefully wipe off the copper colored electrical plates on the cartridges and the electrical contacts inside the holder assy. Then clean off the face of the Print Head Assembly [if actually located on the ink cartridge] thats located on the end of the ink cartridge, where the ink comes out. Its best to use "Distilled Water", because it has less chemicals and minerals in it, than tap water and regular tap water can actually cause additional problems. Use new dry Q-Tips to dry off all the electrical contacts after cleaning...The only way to really eliminate a possible bad cartridge [even if it happens to be a new cartridge], is to actually replace it, or test it in another printer that uses the same cartridge and was working ok with its own cartridges installed. Unfortunatly, that is usually not practical, unless you know someone that has the same printer or uses the same cartridge in their printer...Some people report getting an ink cartridge to start working again, by simply holding the Printhead under running hot water, until the ink starts to flow out. Others report putting a small amount of water [1/4 to 1/2 inch deep] in a coffee cup and then heating it in the microwave for a minute and then standing the printhead in the hot water for 5 or 10 minutes, to soak. Either way, be sure and dry off that cartridge after the soaking and then try running the Print Cartridge Cleaning Test a few times to see if the ink starts to work again...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jan 17, 2005 at 5:23pm Add comment
As with Denny I do not do lexmark inkjets, however, one other thing to check is to make sure in the printer driver you have color checked as the default. I am amazed at how may calls I go on where the only problem is someone has check the black only box. You driver may or may not have the option but if it does make sure color is checked.
by dmzcompute on Jan 17, 2005 at 5:57pm Add comment
I cannot get the ink cartridge out of holder to refill it. the cartridge will go to other end of printer but stuck in there??????
by unknown on Apr 19, 2007 at 11:03am Add comment
make sure the printer is switched on before attempting to pull out the cartridges,this ensures the cartridges are central.Also do not refil but buy new,hardly any difference in price but guaranteed.if you refil the printer does not always recognise, and will keep repeating on screen that they are empty,and sometimes like in my case refuses to function. - Anonymous
you have to pull the cartridge toward you really hard until you hear a sharp click, which releases it
by Anonymous on Jul 4, 2007 at 5:00am Add comment