cherylchase

asked Oct 26, 2007 at 12:30pm
Hp HP LaserJet 2200

HP LaserJet 2200 network failure

I have an HP LaserJet 2200 DTN which has been a great workhorse. Over the last few months, the network interface began to fail intermittently. It would recover if I cycled the power (sometimes more than once) on the printer.

Finally, it failed completely. Reading other users' experiences, I decided that I must have a failed JetDirect card. I purchased a replacement, but the printer still doesn't appear on the network.

Furthermore, I can't seem to get the printer to print a configuration page. If I press the two buttons on top, I get a demo page, no configure page. I know that I have printed configure pages in the past, but now I can't get one.

Advice, please!

To print the configuration page press and hold the back button and then press the front button and release both at the same time and the page should print. The replacment card probably has a new address so you will have to adjust it by putting the address shown on the second page into your web browser and then go to network settings and change the address to the one the old card had and at the same time change the method to manaul and then save the settings.
by dmzcompute on Oct 26, 2007 at 2:51pm Add comment
Thank you for this advice. I tried again to print a config page, but not luck -- only the demo page prints. I wonder if perhaps one of the buttons is broken? - cherylchase
Just pop off the right side cover (there's a latch on the top front of it). Then you can hit the buttons on the board.
by moe on Oct 27, 2007 at 7:18am Add comment
Sometimes the plastic pieces that press into the buttons becomes faulty. Remove the side cover so you have access to the formatter and you will see the two small black buttons which are those switches and then try again. If the back switch is broken, then about the only thing you can do is find someone with a hp printer that takes an eio network card and use their's to setup the address and then move to yours.
by dmzcompute on Oct 27, 2007 at 7:21am Add comment
OK, removing the top right side cover allowed me to press the tiny switches on the circuit board and print a config page. A single page prints, and it says that the EIO is empty, whether I install either the old or the new JetDirect card, and even after reseating and cycling power several times.

If I remember correctly, with the JetDirect card functioning, it prints a second page, is that right?

Perhaps there is something wrong with the circuit board that the JetDirect plugs into?

by cherylchase on Oct 27, 2007 at 6:43pm Add comment
To be honest I have never had the interface on that formatter go bad and it was always the jetdirect card that was bad. Only thing I can suggest to to try your cards in another hp printer with eio slot to see if the card shows up. I really think you may have two bad jetdirect cards.
by dmzcompute on Oct 27, 2007 at 8:44pm Add comment
It should print that second page and it should show up in the eio slot on the config. page. I believe the cards that came with that printer were 610s. They are kind of flaky, but if you search the forum, there is a repair procedure for them. I've fixed about 4 or 5 of them with it.
by moe on Oct 27, 2007 at 8:55pm Add comment
If you have jetdirect 615N, there are problems with a lot of them.

If you do have the 615N, contact HP for a free replacement even though the printer is out of warranty.
by mcprinter on Oct 28, 2007 at 2:03am Add comment
They are both 610Ns. I also have a color LaserJet 2500; neither of the 610N jetdirect cards is recognized when installed in that printer either, so I guess the diagnosis that both cards are dead is correct.

I'll contact the dealer who sold me the 610N and ask for one that works.

Thanks for your help!

by Anonymous on Oct 28, 2007 at 4:22pm Add comment
All you need to do is heat the big chip with a hair dryer set on hot for about a minute. Amazingly enough it fixes them. Since it's dead anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Since I wrote this, I found the heat gun method only temporary. See my new solution further down the thread.
by moe on Oct 28, 2007 at 6:36pm Add comment
We have a LJ2300 with JetDirect615.
Tried the hair dryer method for about 40sec. and the thing was fixed. Has been working for 3 days now. Thanks for the posting.

- unknown
I hadn't tried the heat method, because I don't have a heat gun. But now that my replacement card worked, I tried a hair drier. It worked! And it's a cheapo hair dryer too (1600 watts).

by cherylchase on Oct 29, 2007 at 12:44pm Add comment
I called the vendor who sold me the replacement 610N. They told me to call HP, that it would be replaced by manufacturer under warranty.

When I got to the JetDirect support guy, he was hopping mad (at the vendor, not me). He called the vendor, with me on the line, and read him the riot act, then demanded that vendor provide me with equal or better card as replacement. Vendor agreed to replace my card or refund my money.

HP also told me that I could trade in my 610N for a 620, a better card, new and under one year warranty. But even with a tradein, the 620 would cost $230. You can pretty much get a replacement (used) LaserJet 2200 for that.

So I tried the heating the ARM chip method with a hair dryer on my failed card. It worked!
by cherylchase on Oct 29, 2007 at 12:48pm Add comment
It fails again after it cools off.

by cherylchase on Oct 29, 2007 at 1:13pm Add comment
Try heating it again for a bit longer. One of my clients bought a couple of 620Ns at CDW for $364.99 (why are they called "discount"?). I have them in stock if you want and can give you a much better price than $230.

by moe on Oct 29, 2007 at 2:09pm Add comment
I can't believe it. But I heated the big chip with a hair dryer on high for 90 seconds and it worked. Printed a 2-page config printout with EIO no longer saying "Empty."

Thanks so much for that wonderful bit of information. Does anyone know how long this fix lasts for?
by eblum6 on Nov 3, 2007 at 5:44pm Add comment
Just fixed a 610N in a Laserjet 2200dn after a fruitless hour plugging, unplugging, cleaning, resetting. Finally, 40 seconds of heat and it works. Quite the oddest bit of repair I've ever done. It's some kind of magic! If anyone knows *why* this works(?), I'd be fascinated :)

Thanks again, moe and fixyourownprinter
by Maderlock on Feb 3, 2009 at 1:36am Add comment
Wow! The hair dryer thing worked! That's crazy! I had a 615N in my 2200dn, and only the "Self Test / Configuration" page was printing. I blasted the big chip for about 45 seconds with a 1200 W hair dryer, and now the second "JetDirect" page is printing too.

Thank you!!

PS - Why does this work? How long will this repair last?
by unknown on Feb 20, 2009 at 4:02pm Add comment
I found the hair dryer repair doesn't last very long. A better way to do it is to take the plastic front off, you'll need a torx driver (I think it's a #8). Then support each corner on a cookie sheet and bake it component side up in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Let it cool and reassemble. Haven't had any come back that I've done with that method. Had a few returns when I was using a heat gun. - moe
I tried with a 1200 watt hairdryer for several minutes twice, but to no avail. I was starting to think, somewhere someone is smiling to himself every time he thinks about hp2200 owners hairdrying their boards. Then I tried putting the board in our microwave/hotair oven, preheated to 200C, with as suggested by moe, the plastic face plate removed and supports under the corners. I went for 200 C hot air for six minutes. Unbelievably, it works. Thank you so much!
by unknown on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:53am Add comment