Fred K

asked Jun 11, 2006 at 1:26pm
Hp HP Color LaserJet 2840

HP 2840 All-in-one ,image drum counter reset

I read the counter reset attempt for a different model. Anyone heard of succesfull counter reset for a 2840 all-in one. If so, what procedure will give results?
Still Trying
by Fred K on Jun 13, 2006 at 8:52am Add comment
I know this is old, but if anyone else is reading... the only way i've seen so far to reset this drum is to buy one of the reset chips online for around $10-$20. My next machine will NOT be an HP due to this limitation!
by i22yb on Apr 21, 2008 at 7:02pm Add comment
I putted another tonner´s chip on the drum and the printer recognized the drum as a non HP drum, but you can still print
by pepetronik on Sep 24, 2008 at 7:52am Add comment
Just buy drum chip on ebay for around $10.00. That is the best way to go.
www.officejetparts.com
by Mersol on Jul 22, 2009 at 6:10pm Add comment
Yanking the little chip off of a used toner cartridge and substituting that on the imaging drum works. I first learned this from another user on this forum. You have to carefully pry the two chips off, moving from one end to the other - they are held down by double faced tape. But you need to have a spent toner cartridge on hand it seems...I tried "switching" the chips between a toner cartridge in the printer and the imaging drum, and I got a supply error on the toner cartridge, so I had to go out and buy a new toner cartridge...not as bad as having to buy the drum, and it was almost empty anyway.

Anyone know how to get around the error code 10.000x supply error w/o having to buy a new cartridge???

by lemmon101 on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:44am Add comment
Wow -- your advice worked. I switched the chip from a used toner cartridge to the drum, and now the printer is working. This is a great way to get around the HP rip-off. You not only saved me a lot of money, we were able to finish printing an end of quarter project without having to find a place to print it. You have done a great service. Is there any way you can publish this information more prominently? It took me a while to find this advice. - Anonymous
Thank you Lemmon (and whoever originally gave you this tip). You just saved me some $$. 99\% of my printing is B/W so I'm convinced the drum (original) has lots of life left and your trick worked. A very small flathead screwdriver worked just fine, though i would caution patience and a gentle touch. I changed out both the cyan and magenta (kept the extra one for another time). I turned the printer OFF before pulling the drum, changing the chip and returning it (don't know if that matters). Got the message about non-HP drum, checked the check mark and after it initialized it works perfectly. In fact I registered just so I could say Thanks!
by Richard T on Sep 28, 2009 at 2:16pm Add comment
Worked like a champ. Just lift the chip nice and easy to make sure the adhesive backing comes up too. Thanks!
by Anonymous on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:13pm Add comment
Big thanks for your help. It save me 200 dollars and now I have the perfect christmas present for my father. Merry christmas to you all.

Uffe
by udahle on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:39am Add comment
Yes it works! And the toner chip has NO counter active, so it can be reused to extend the life of the next drum.
by unknown on Oct 19, 2010 at 12:51am Add comment
This worked great!!! I exchanged the chip from one of my old toner cartridges to the drum and it works great. It displays "Non HP Supply in Use" but who cares! it works and saved me around $70.00 for an after market drum. Thank you guys!!
by unknown on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:50am Add comment
Ok, that works for the Drum. What about the toner cartridges. I have a out of toner message, and it won't let me print in color. I know I have toner left in the cartridges, but it is telling me to replace the yellow. Is there anyway to reset the sensor for the toner cartridges???
by dcpsdrivers on Dec 11, 2010 at 8:40am Add comment
I have the same problem. Haven't found an online fix yet either, but email me if you ever find one. I'm not convinced that HP toner s don't have a counter chip on them that prevents using the last bit of toner. Anyway, i found some new chips online for the toner (possibly used to reset the cartridge when you refill for reuse), but I'll toss one onto the colour toner cartridges I have as I know they are atill full and then I can print in colour using them. Cost me $11 for the set of 4 chips.
Just a thought
Ray
- rocoderre
Thanks, just switched the chips and the 2840 is working again. Awesome. My Boss is impressed too.
by unknown on Sep 20, 2011 at 1:23pm Add comment
lemmon101 : You are great. Worked like a charm
by unknown on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:42pm Add comment
This worked great!! Thanks.

I removed the chip from the "used-up" image drum and tossed it. I took the chip off an old cyan toner and put it on the image drum (chip had to be rotated 180 degrees).

When I put the drum back into the printer it said something like "Non-HP drum. Press checkmark to continue". I pressed the checkmark button, it calibrated for a while, and now it works perfectly.

On printer screen it cycles between the 4 status bars, and a message saying "Non-HP supply in use" but big deal. On the status bar for the drum instead of a bar graph it has a question mark (so the drum may never run out, only time will tell).

Thanks for this!

Jamie
by unknown on Jun 19, 2013 at 7:44am Add comment
A little note to all HP 2840 users. I downloaded and used a B&W driver for my HP 2840 and I have only used the Black toner since Day 1. My colour levels have gone down to zero but the printer still works with a "Replace Supply, Using black only" signal showing. I've replaced just the Black Toner cartridge for the last couple of years. Still works great, in B&W, of course.
by rocoderre on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:13pm Add comment

Hi, My HP 2840 is showing replace supplies on all but black , to print color all I have to do is send print command before the printer shows ready and it will print full color , also the windows test print works at any time ? It's a pain but it works !

by aointedu on Oct 4, 2015 at 6:51pm Add comment

this tip is fantastic, save me a lot of money.... thanks!!

by narrowpath on Oct 3, 2017 at 4:39pm Add comment