tassos

asked Jul 22, 2005 at 10:26am
Hp HP Color LaserJet 2550

2550 image drum counter reset

is it possible to reset the image drum counter of the HP LASER JET 2550 PRINTER?
I got it resetted on my HP 2550L. Tried 3 or 4 times without success but got it when I pressed the red button few times quickly after releasing the GO (big green) button, when all 3 lights are blinking simultaneously, and continuing to press few times after.
by MaggieDoune on Jan 6, 2006 at 8:01am Add comment
After a few unfortune trials, i changed the procedure and resetted the drum ! 1 Turn the printer off. 2 Press and hold the GO button (blue-green). 3 Turn the printer on and continue to hold the GO button (about 30 seconds). 4 After the Go, Ready, and Attention Leds all turn on, continue holding until the Attention and Ready leds switch off (GO led still on). 5 Keep pressing the GO button AND turn the printer off. Reset is done. 6 You may have to re-install HP drivers from CD (what I did). - barneyvienna
That was a total waste of time printerman. The solution mentioned on this page is only working for the 2500 not for the 2550.

As the 2550 is newer than the 2500 I really think HP changed their firmware to not be able anymore to reset the image drum counter.

by Downlord on Nov 15, 2005 at 9:20am Add comment
That's why we bought an epson now.

HP is getting worse with any new printer they bring out.
TY HP and bye forever.
by Downlord on Feb 10, 2006 at 7:53am Add comment
click on the link.... follow instructions
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/13844#24
by theprinterman on Jul 22, 2005 at 10:30am Add comment
YAY! TYVM!

- will try this the next time my drum is getting empty.

Greetings,
DL
by Downlord on Jan 6, 2006 at 8:45am Add comment
OK, now I tried it, but it didn't work for me.

How exactly did you manage to get it to work (beginning by turning off the printer).

Greetings,
DL
by Downlord on Jan 19, 2006 at 3:53am Add comment
Have tried the process above to reset the image drum counter on my 2550n but no success. Does anyone know if this is possible on the 2550n or have hp screwed me?
by mickeyt on Feb 9, 2006 at 2:56pm Add comment
JMHO, but I think anytime you buy a HP color laser you got screwed. :-( PCRMike
by pcrmike on Feb 10, 2006 at 7:18am Add comment
I can offer you a reset chip for the HP 2550 Drum Unit. Mail me at [email protected]
by rob72 on Feb 10, 2006 at 1:40pm Add comment
I can too, but it is not right. If a customer does something like that to their printer, like rechipping the cartridge, it can lead to costly failure. This is not some service manual rhetoric, I have seen it a number of times. HP in particular makes their consumables to last not much more than one cycle. The old days of "3-cycle" life drums are long gone. Go ahead if you want, but it is really asking for trouble IMHO. :-( PCRMike
by pcrmike on Feb 10, 2006 at 2:40pm Add comment
I hate to disagree with above but I have to. I have worked on many printers over the years and to be honest extending the life of consumables never effects the operation of the printer, just the qualilty of the output. All that will happen with that drum is over time qualitiy will get bad. The same is true with toner cartridges and the same is true with fusers. If the part wears out it does just that wears out, but does not cause other issues. True a leaking toner cartridge can cause toner all over the place, but that can be cleaned up. None of the consumables will burn out a circut board or lead to another item failing. IMHO.
by dmzcompute on Feb 10, 2006 at 3:42pm Add comment
I may be an old fuddy duddy, but I have seen many times (mainly on copiers) developer get old and "drool", and when the customer doesn't say anything about it making dark copies or calling for a PM, zapping the TS assembly and wiping a board. I know that is a rare enough occurence, but the color HP's that use the chemical toner leak easy enough. I have already replaced t-belt units on the HP color and such from contaminated contacts and zapped connections. I didn't say it was a lock to happen, but they must be warned. At least advised that it CAN cause problems. If it does, that is the gamble you take. I agree with DZ that it is not a real common thing, but I still know it CAN bite you in the butt. Also it is very model-dependant on what you can do. Have you ever seen a cheap refill job gone wrong, gum up the fuser, or the t-roller? How about spilling toner where the customer can't clean? We as professionals MUST not encourage something that can lead to a problem for them. DZ, you and I don't see it as a big deal, with our .03 mic vacs, and tools, but if they want to run the risk that is their call, but I just don't want them to do so blindly thinking that it is just a scam to get toners bought, which is is to an extent, but don't stick it to yourself while sticking it to HP. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Feb 10, 2006 at 6:24pm Add comment
No way I can get the counter to reset. 2 lights blinking, one solid ..... and surely I know I hardly printed any color ...... how deeply frustrating to be forced to buy new cartridges, while there should be enough toner for months ....

I tried all the methods, my fingers are sore from holding and hitting butons ...

oh well
by Anonymous on Feb 27, 2006 at 7:58am Add comment
Got a 2550N, Imaging drum light and 2 cartridge lights on.

Followed the steps:
1 Turn the printer off.
2 Press and hold the GO button.
3 Turn the printer on and continue to hold the GO button.
4 After the Go, Ready, and Attention LEDs turn on, continue holding for at least 20 seconds.
During this process, the Attention, Ready, and Go LEDs will each turn off.
5 Release the GO button.
6 The device LEDs will begin cycling from front to back. The NVRAM-init process runs until the printer is in the Ready state.

Did it at least ten times including pushing the orange button. Stood on one foot and sang Rule Brittannia. Got it to reset.

Then I uninstalled drivers and reinstalled them.

Works great now
by Anonymous on Apr 21, 2006 at 1:58am Add comment
A NVRAM reset will work only on the 2500 model and not the 2550. No matter what anybody says you can reset the 2500 with the NVRAM reset but you cannot do it with the 2550.
by dmzcompute on May 14, 2006 at 12:03pm Add comment
Wrong, it worked for me. Thanks all - Anonymous
> Wrong, it worked for me. Thanks all

Well - pick one of the following answers:

a) you don't have a hp 2550 but a 2500
b) The guy who sold you the unit lied to you
c) probably you think it's funny posting false information as anonymous user

btw: we switched to epson too (untill they start to screw us - but hey - there are so many other printer companies)

Greetings,
DL
by Downlord on Jun 7, 2006 at 2:29am Add comment
Downlord, I have to disagree. This reset does work on the 2550L, I just did it (and i'm extatic!). Firstly I have to thank everyone on the page for their contributions.

I tried it lots of timesand failed but I realised that I was doing it wrong.

I got it to work as follows:

1 Turn the printer off.
2 Press and hold the GO button.
3 Turn the printer on and continue to hold the GO button.
4 After the Go, Ready, and Attention LEDs ALL turn on for the very first time, continue holding until they all subsequently switch off then quickly release the GO button and keep pressing the red button like there is no tomorrow!

If it doesn't work the first time then do it again. I promise it will work.
by unknown on Jun 10, 2006 at 3:59pm Add comment
HP 2500 series... YES, YES, YES - it does work, after at least five or six times of various tryouts. I thought I had completely buggered mine because the image light went off but I still couldn't print. So I turned the printer off then back on, still wouldn't print - so disconnected the USB cable, reconnected - then YIPPEE it worked. I found that I didn't have to be quick with hitting the red button either, but I think the red button idea is a must... I just kept pushing it and pushing it for some time, but you DO need to switch the printer off then back on again I think. Keep positive!!! cos it will work eventually. - fletcherk
thanks to all and particularly happy as larry!
i was about to give up, but your last post encouraged me to persevere.

in case it helps anyone, it eventually worked for me when i held down the red cancel button in addition to the green go button when the three lights at the base have sequentially gone out. at that point i just held out for a minute or so and the image drum light didn't come on!

i couldn't categorically state which combination will work, but as everyone else has stated, just keep trying!

cheers,
richard.
by unknown on Jul 5, 2006 at 7:35am Add comment
i tried it lots of times on the 2550L and it doesn't work for me... perhaps it depends onsome it works on some not.

on mine for example, when i wait for the three control lights to sequentially go out, the "Go" the one near the green button won't go out at all, no matter if you continue to hold the button for a few minutes.

any suggestion?
by blabla on Jul 7, 2006 at 3:09am Add comment
did you manage to get your 2550L Drum light to go off I cant' reset mine I have then same issue the go light never goes off. - nambi
It works :

1 Turn the printer off.
2 Press and hold the GO button (blue-green).
3 Turn the printer on and continue to hold the GO button (about 30 seconds).
4 After the Go, Ready, and Attention Leds all turn on, continue holding until the Attention and Ready leds switch off (GO led still on).
5 Keep pressing the GO button AND now keep pressing the red button (about 15 seconds) until the 3 leds stop blinking.
6 Release GO and red buttons.
Reset is done.
7 You may have to re-install HP drivers from CD (what I did).

You can now continue printing without changing drum or toner.

Nothing is impossible.
by unknown on Jul 14, 2006 at 2:22am Add comment
Thanks Loule

Your instruction are exactly correct. First go the printers memory reset.

I owe you a drink. - Davebits
Wow, I have a 2550n and this totally works. What Master Loule France forgets to mention is that you also have to:

1. stick your thumb up your bunghole
2. whistle the star-spangled banner

voila! it works!

*jk, NONE OF THESE METHODS work!

MORAL OF THE STORY: **Never** buy another HP printer again!!!! - funkmasterta888
Thank you soooo much...you saved me from buying a new HP Color Laser Jet. I was able to reset the image drum counter (after many tries) and now it seems to be working great. I followed your directions to the letter and eventually it did work. Thanks to all who post on this site.
- Anonymous
Master Loule France is a HERO!!

Prior to this I swapped on of the chips with another cartridge from the same printer but the printer just flagged the other cartridge as empty.

I then did the reset order as by Master Loule France and Voila it Worked!!

Thank you!!

Paul - Anonymous
its works fine for me. thnx a lot ;) - afumado
This works on the 2550N. I just did it. Can't belive it. Thanks!!!!!
by unknown on Aug 4, 2006 at 4:43am Add comment
I couldn't get the drum to reset, but I got the colors to reset. They say they are non hp supplies now.

I noticed that the serial number changed to all X's and the formatter number changed to a different number. Is there a way to get them back to the original? I do have a copy of the numbers from before the reset.
by unknown on Aug 12, 2006 at 6:34am Add comment
You can reprogram the details using PJL.

- William_Syd
what method did you use to reset the colors wriwanski ?
by unknown on Aug 13, 2006 at 8:42pm Add comment
Hello, i have this problem. I refill the cyan cartrigde, change to a new chip. then, print some pages, the chip lights on, the printer stops printing. Obviously, the cartridge is full, so I only change to a new chip, but it print some pages again, and then, the cyan lights blink again.
Help!!!!!
by Anonymous on Aug 14, 2006 at 6:12am Add comment
yes it is posible, i did it.

and is working very well...

by Anonymous on Sep 1, 2006 at 6:53am Add comment
It's almost like a bad joke... I can't get it to work on my 2550n! I have no idea how anyone did this. I've followed the direction time after time - so much so that I felt that there must be someone in my house with a camera saying "look at this idiot, she's going to stand there and continue to hold those buttons and I'm going to sit here and just laugh at her"!

I'm probably headed out to buy a new drum.
by unknown on Sep 14, 2006 at 7:27am Add comment
I have tried the steps suggested for 2550n and after all leds go out and I release the green button the red attention light is the one that comes back on. At this point of the process I have tried holding down both the red and green buttons or holding the green button and repeatedly pressing the red button and neither one has worked. I have tried the process probably 10 times now with no luck. Anyone else have other suggestions? My printer is connected to a LAN rather than USB. Does this make a difference? Help!!
by teacher_gal on Sep 15, 2006 at 2:31pm Add comment
Buy a reset chip. They just pop on the front of the drum unit. I guess I should put them up on the site.
by moe on Sep 15, 2006 at 2:39pm Add comment
Hello all. I just came upon this forum while searching for a problem with my 2550L. Well, its not exactly a problem, I guess, but more of a question which maybe someone here can answer. I just ran out of the yellow toner - at least according to the HP Toolbox software, and my magenta and cyan are at 2\%. I find this very odd, considering I rarely (and I mean rarely) print anything in color on this printer.

Anyhow, the problem I am having is that this printer will not even let me print plain old black text documents now, since the yellow toner is out. Is there anyway I can still use this printer for text documents? It pisses me off, because I still have 57\% of my original black toner left, but am unable to use it right now apparently until I replace the color toner. However I have no intention of replacing any of the color toners because they are so expensive - my original plan was to use the color toners until they ran out, and then use this printer as regular black laser printer only.

What are my options, short of buying a new laser printer? Is there a way to 'reset' the color toners to 'fool' the printer into thinking they are full (which they probably are)?

Either way, I can assure you that this will be my last HP printer, thats for sure! I called HP tech support yesterday to ask them this pretty simple question "Can I still print in black/white when one of my color toners is out?" yesterday, and since I was 5 months out of warranty, they wanted to charge me $39 to answer it! How f-d up is that?

THanks!
by Anonymous on Sep 19, 2006 at 6:30am Add comment
Hey, that's why the extended warranty is only about 60 bucks on those printers! You want more than a year of free calls to HP, ya gotta pay. Better than Microsoft at least. You have to pay them just to report a bug! Have been one of those people that you would have gotten on the phone had you paid I can tell you that there is no way the printer will run with even one dead cartridge. None of the carousel printers will do it. In lines, yes, carousel, no.

What you CAN do is go thru to tech support, tell em you want a trade up. Trade up to a 2600 from a 2550 is $279. New printer, new cartridges, new warranty. Bonus point, the 2600 has an "Override out" setting that will let it run with dead cartridges.

For future knowledge. If you want a 2500-2550 to act like a monochrome unit do this:
In the driver got to Printing Preferences and under the Color tab, select Grayscale printing.
Then under the Advanced tab, set Print All Text as Black to ENABLED.
Now the printer will use ONLY the black cartridge for all print jobs. It will also increase the life of your image drum by three to four times. It won't work if any color cartridge is dead though.

If you didn't do this in the beginning the printer has been using all 4 toners on every print job. Its the 4-color printing process that every printer uses. You have to disable it if you don't want every job to have all 4 toners used in it.
by Anonymous on Sep 23, 2006 at 12:37am Add comment
Moe, Could you please email me with price and information about reset chip for the HP2550n? Thanks
by teacher_gal on Oct 20, 2006 at 8:26am Add comment
HEY

Amazing it worked..

yes i mean WORKED.

i've been without a decent printer for ages

i tried it 3 times... all different ways and the last time the Green light stayed on on the GO button..

so i reset the power and it all came up

AMAZING..

Thanks you guys.

by unknown on Oct 21, 2006 at 6:09am Add comment
Sam's club had the Color LaserJet 2600 printers for $249 a couple of weeks ago...

Generally HP trade ups cost as much, or mor than buying a new machine, and sometimes the trade ups are for refurbished units with a 90 day warranty. (if the product number has an "R" at the end it's a refurb, example: C8049AR).
by Stephen on Oct 21, 2006 at 6:14am Add comment
The trade ups from an old unit to a different unit (2550 to 2600 for instance) are ALWAYS to a new unit, when done thru tech support. If you do get a refurb from HP tech support on whats called a T2 trade in, call back and bitch big time. Do not confuse this with the exchange repair option from HP, that will always be to a refurb unit, that is what has the 90 day warranty.

Take it from a former HP CSR.

The trade ups are not much of a deal price wise. HP does take the old printer off your hands though. - Anonymous
I CANNOT get my 2550L to reset! Imaging drum and yellow toner lights on. I'm sick of this [email protected]*! thing.

I'd go and buy another printer, but then I'd be stuck with this worthless thing!

Can someone help me?
by ccarufel on Nov 12, 2006 at 8:09am Add comment
Hi, thought I would throw my 4 penneth worth in which might hopefully help someone.

Came across this forum whilst searching for a drum reset for my 2550L. Tried the methods as listed in other postings (except the one that involved sticking my thumb where the sun dont shine and whistling the star spangled banner) Tried all night last night with no success except various flashing light shows. Did get it to pull a page through a couple of times, took ages and ejected a blank page but with pale lines on, anyone know what this was all about?

ANYWAY, (cut to the chase Tim), this morning tried again in every possible combination of pressing buttons. Finally succeeded similar to other methods. Held GO button down, turned on, waited for ATTENTION and READY lights to go out (my GO light stayed on constantly like some others). Then I pressed the red button down but IMPORTANTLY I released it BEFORE the 3 lights had finished flashing.

This was the only way I got my drum to reset. Believe me I spent about 4 hours pressing and holding buttons. Interestingly the toner lights are still lit but they're not flashing yet so will try again when they give up I guess.

Hope this helps someone,

Tim - unknown
Hi Everyone: I have an hp2550n with the image drum problem and tried all of the resets a million times and none of them worked. I found the reset chip on ebay and figured I'd give it a try since it was only 14 bucks plus shipping. I just got the chip, took about two minutes to install (didn't have to take the image drum apart, it is on the outside), put it back into the printer, and lo and behold, no image drum light any more!! Prints great. I got the chip from Dubber-Toner in Brownstone, MI, email [email protected] You can do a search on ebay as that is where he sells all his stuff.
The chip supposedly works with any version of hp 1500/2500 laser printer.

And no, I have no connection to Dubber Toner, just happy that my printer is working for 14 bucks instead of buying a new image drum for 200!
by freeamerica on Nov 20, 2006 at 9:49am Add comment
BTW, in case anyone needs one, I have the reset chips in stock. You don't have to go through the hassles of piratEbay and questionable sellers (dubber toner is no longer listed on eBay). Also they cost less from me and shipping is also cheaper. http://fixyourownprinter.com/specials/request
When I get time, I'll put them on the site.
by moe on Nov 20, 2006 at 1:00pm Add comment
So how again do I get this Reset Chip for my HP 2550N?

Brutus
- unknown
Looks like a lot of suggestions are on this forum, but the problem with resetting your printer is that it wipes your page count, serial number, and a ton of other things that can cause major issues down the road including warranty support. I am an HP tech, and when a printer comes in under warranty with the "reset" done, it's much harder to get your repairs covered under warranty. If you just want to extend the life of your drum here's what I recommend.

Take your drum out.

Take the chip off the drum (it comes off pretty easy).

Pick up an empty toner cartridge from a 2550.

Take off the chip from the toner cartridge and put it on the drum where the old chip was.

Re-install the drum and your printer will say it's not genuine HP, but will continue to use it (you may have to press the green button).

When you notice your print outs are looking poor after a while, you know it's now time to replace the drum. You should get 15\% more out of your consumables with this trick.

by unknown on Nov 21, 2006 at 9:12pm Add comment
Hello, I´d like to know if you can help me, my HP2550 is showing a message "imaging drum" is there another chip in it that isn´t the toners chip? What do I have to do? Help me please! - marimarial
dctech22 is right, i have done it before... but the problem I'm having is that the cartridges start to leak a lot...

and more recently other problems have been appearing... i wonder if refilling the cartridges voids the warranty... because now i can't print anything in color or THE WHOLE PAGE will be printed in blue or purple :S
by unknown on Nov 26, 2006 at 2:18pm Add comment
I have the same problem. My printer prints the whole page blue. I replaced my cartridges and four days later they were 80\% gone. Blue powder in the bottom of my printer. The pages were printing purple. I replaced the cartridges again. Now everything whole page prints in blue. Any help out there. I attempted to call HP since their cartridges are warrantied, BUT they wanted $39.00 to help after I spent, what $400+ on cartridges.

Do I need to replace the image-drum or just scrap the whole printer. --L - Anonymous
THIS DOES NOT WORK
by unknown on Nov 27, 2006 at 6:08pm Add comment
Timmy tude, Thank u so much dude.
Your method works on my 2550L ..

Best Regards
Ronniett
by Anonymous on Nov 28, 2006 at 12:35am Add comment
I have followed all of the posts here (which sounded somewhat common throughout) but now the READY light is solid green. This is not the GO button, but rather the one above it.

I removed the drivers, but my computer does not even recognize it when I look for the printer under plug and play. I have NO idea what I have done, does anyone else. And if so, how do I get out of it?

Thanks
by ccm on Nov 29, 2006 at 10:26am Add comment
I also have the ready light as solid (not the go) and am not sure how to fix it - any ideas? - Anonymous
I did reinstall the drivers for my 2550L

Then following the steps above...

and made sure to:
PRESS THE RED BUTTON ONCE, AND LET GO BEFORE THE FLASHING STOPS.

Good luck, glad I found this forum.
by unknown on Jan 21, 2007 at 4:05pm Add comment
Have a 2500L and I followed the ways of Happy as Larry and now I am a very happy person. Resets it the first time!

It does work on my 2500L and despite some negative comments above; I want to thank this forum for the useful infos.
by unknown on Feb 24, 2007 at 12:50am Add comment
this is what did the trick in the end for me:
(2550L usb version bought in Netherlands)

- holded the green button till all lights where off apart from the green GO button (wouldnt go off even if I waited another month)
- pressed the TONER select button.
- All 3 lights where back on
- Holded GO button little longer
- Released and pressed CANCEL button like mad as suggested
- All lights went off.. the toner light that was first flashing started flashing dimly. the toner lights that where just on went off.
- Printer printed test page (it looked so good hehe)
- Switched off printer, turned it back on
- MAGIC
by unknown on May 4, 2007 at 10:39am Add comment
The imaging drum light on my 2550L was blinking and I could no longer print. So I did a small variation of Ron D.L.'s methods. Here's what I did:

- disconnect printer USB cable
- turn off printer
- hold the green button and turn on printer
- hold the green button until only the green GO light is on
- pressed the middle PINK button.
- watch the lights reset
- wait a few seconds until only the green GO light is on.
- released the GO button.
- reconnected the printer USB cable (windows vista reinstalled the printer driver automatically)
- test print OK.

Hope this helps.
- Anonymous
Thanks, Ron! This method worked on my LJ2550L purchased in January 2006. No other reset method worked (neither did changing the chip against one of an old toner cassette, probably because I did use up those ones by resetting the toner counter, too).
I had to print out the test page manually, but it showed exactly the same quality as the one from January 2006, when the printer was brand-new. - Hannes
Big thanks to Ron D. L. as his method worked on my 2550L the first time I tried it. I'll cut and paste his method below, I just tried it as my printer has been unusable for months with two toner lights ON. I refused to buy new toners for this thing and was going to throw it in the trash. The twits in this thread saying the reset is impossible must have stock in HP!

this is what did the trick in the end for me:

- holded the green button till all lights where off apart from the green GO button (wouldnt go off even if I waited another month)
- All lights went off.. the toner light that was first flashing started flashing dimly. the toner lights that where just on went off.
- MAGIC
by unknown on May 22, 2007 at 2:20pm Add comment
Just work for me....T H A N K S to Ron DL the Dutchman....U made my day....My Product Serial # now shows X's and page recount resetted....supplies show non-HP, but it WWOORRKKSS....Tks again....Lennie - lennie
Just work for me....T H A N K S to Ron DL the Dutchman....U made my day....My Product Serial # now shows X's and page recount resetted....supplies show non-HP, but it WWOORRKKSS....Tks again....Lennie - lennie
Dear 'friends',

I have tried all methods, and strangely enough didn't seem to have any success. Nothing seemed to work as planned. However, when trying the method of Ron D.L. the following happend...

The image drum light was still flashing, but the printer started printing test pages... I was puzzled. I thought, oh well... (I must admit, I already had ordered a new printer, so I could care less if it would continue to print test-pages)

I pretty much gave up and switched off the printer. After switching it on, for some mysterious reason... The light wasn't flashing anymore. I just printed a route description that came out without any problems.

Don't ask me why, maybe the printer gave up on me ;) But it started working 'out of the blue', after using Ron D.L.'s method and turning off and on the printer.

Please don't ask me why it worked, or how exactly I did it... It worked.

Good luck to all of you people trying to reset the HP 2550 (mine is a HP 2550L, with the latest firmware)

With Care,
Tim
by unknown on Jul 20, 2007 at 3:01am Add comment
My image drum light was one and the printer failed to print.

I tried the reset procedure several times. Was almost fed up and almost gave up. (Already bought a 2600N replacement)...

Then all of the sudden it al worked!

My printer is a Dutch version with LPT and USB port without Network.

Started the printer and kept the green butten pushed until all light except the one above the green button went off.

Started pressing the green button like a madman. Suddenly the printer started to print test pages. Fixed!!!!!!!

W0000t. I am happy.

by unknown on Aug 3, 2007 at 5:16am Add comment
congratulations!!!!!!
by unknown on Aug 3, 2007 at 7:44am Add comment
When all else fails, replace the chip. We stock the chips. Click on my name to email me for pricing and ordering info.
by moe on Aug 4, 2007 at 9:38am Add comment
can your reset the imaging drum?
by Anonymous on Aug 21, 2007 at 11:29am Add comment
I posted a new thread, and then found this one. Here's what I posted...

I think I've finally found an easy way to run the genuine HP toner cartridges empty. If someone else can just verify it works for them as easy as it worked for me.

1. Select the toner that is reported as empty with the toner selection button.
2. Open the printer top and zap the chip on the toner with a standard 9 volt battery by touching the battery to the contacts for about 3 seconds.
3. Close the top and let the printer initialize. The attention light and the toner light should flash.
4. Press the Cancel button.

A supplies staus page should now show the cartridge as a non-HP cartridge and should print to until empty.

I'd be curious to try this on the drum as well.
by bgreganti on Aug 22, 2007 at 1:39am Add comment
It worked!!!

I used all the suggestions above for my 2550L (Switzerland). Don't know which one worked. After I finished the procedures, the drum light was still blinking. So I tried it many times again, until I just restarted the printer without pressing anything (even if the drum light was blinking). And see: after the restart, no light was blinking, new printer was recognised by XP, testpage worked fine.

I'm happy happy happy, thank you all.
by unknown on Aug 27, 2007 at 12:08am Add comment
I also got it to work. several people who posted also got it to work without even realizing it. when the "2nd light comes on and stays on", that means it's fixed!! just delete the printers in control panel, turn off printer and turn back on and let windows rediscover the printer. the same happend to me and I didn't realize but I was trying to print to an old instance of the printer which didn't work, the new one's did.

here was how I did it:

1. turn off printer and while holding big button, turn on.
2. hold button down until three lights cycle TWICE. the first cycle is fast and they blink, the 2nd cycle has them turn on one by one slowly then off one by one slowly until just the bottom light remains on.
3. while still holding the big button, press one of the other buttons. don't hold them, just press it once. This will cause the three lights to blink in unison.
4. while the 3 lights are blinking, press the red button. don't hold it, just press it. then let go of the big button.
5. delete the printers in control panel and restart the printer.

That's it.

Thanks everyone, this is awesome. Long live the Internet!!!
by Anonymous on Sep 23, 2007 at 10:20am Add comment
Color printing is not cheap. All this sniviling about trying to "cheat" things is ridiculous!
What would be the cost of using a Print Shop to get your stuff done, versus using your own unit, and putting in the correct quality consumables, and actually using it correctly?
You all are abusive, selfish whiners. You pay for what you get.
And apparantly none of you do. Some of these "re-set" advises are good. Maybe there are other areas in your business that you can cut costs, so as to have quality printing.
by unknown on Sep 24, 2007 at 7:26am Add comment
MachaelTech,

The decision to purchase a color printer a few years ago was carefully thought out, figuring cost per page and print quality as the two main factors.

The fact that the printer does not reach the estimated number of pages per cartridge, and there is still toner left in them, upsets me. This was an attempt by HP to make more money by cheating the consumer.

What's worse is the cartridge price for the 2600 is slightly higher, and the number of pages is half that of the 2550. Another attempt to fleece buyers of there money.

I'm seriously considering buying a new printer every time my consumables run out. It'd be cheaper.
by bgreganti on Sep 24, 2007 at 7:49am Add comment
please be sure you do not buy hp

let´s make a boicot to hp
by unknown on Sep 24, 2007 at 11:31am Add comment
What do I do if the Go and Ready light are on along with the Imaging Drum, but it won't Print, and I can't reset it?
This is for an HP 2500.
by joshlfisher on Nov 26, 2007 at 1:35pm Add comment
This thread is for 2550... there is another one for 2500.

I think it's this one, check it out: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/13844
by unknown on Nov 26, 2007 at 1:53pm Add comment
I must be an idiot! I have tried this on my 2550L now about 20 times not and still no luck.

I turn the printer off.
hold the green button down
turn the printer on with the green button still down
watch all three light come on then 2 eventually turn off
one stays on no matter how long I hold it down.
then with that green button still being held down I press and hold down the red button.
with those pressed down still, all 3 lights flash then eventually turn off, i let go off the 2 buttons at the exact same time.

Printer appears dead for about 5-10 seconds restarts and lights continue to flash.

I'm wondering about the cycle of me holding down the red button can anyone elaborate any more on this?

Thanks
by nambi on Feb 28, 2008 at 12:53pm Add comment
Yes, the drum light did go off. If took a few tries to reset the printer, but I was finally able to do it. Just follow the directions on this post. It really does work.

Mike
by unknown on Feb 28, 2008 at 8:28pm Add comment
My printer must have different firmware or something because I've tried over 35 times not and nothing. It's a 2550L

My green go light will never go out held it for over 2 minutes, then when I press red button all lights flash for about 2 seconds. then go out now do i release th red and the go button EXACTLY at the same time? thats what I have been doing and before i know it the printer cycles then is on with the drum light flashing.

I even tried swapping the toner chips with the drum chips and no luck.

Any other advice?

Thanks

by nambi on Feb 29, 2008 at 8:35am Add comment
The toner and drum chips are different. If you need a drum chip, we stock them. Click on my name for pricing and ordering info.
by moe on Feb 29, 2008 at 9:34am Add comment
Got a 2550n - I was struggling, but I did the last set of instructions here but pressed the pink button twice at the end - with about 1 second gap and it worked - looking at the test page now - thanks guys -p.
by unknown on Mar 17, 2008 at 9:14am Add comment
Simple
hold green button until you get solid go LED (1 minute)
while holding, hit the red button, then the toner button, then the red button again. Think of it as a command, I want to reset(red button)---the toner(toner button)----confirm (red button)

when you release the the green button after the confirmation, all of the "violated" cartridges report with flashing. you then dismiss them with the cancel button.
Delete printer from control panel.

All offending cartridges show as unknowns, the rest are OK.

Finally got it after I applied some engineering logic to the process. No enough with all this button pushing.

Fig
by unknown on Apr 3, 2008 at 6:19pm Add comment
Great, the method of figsprops worked fine for me! This is already the 2. time I'm doing a reset, but this time I tried several times the other ways described, and it didn't work. And with figsprops tutorial it just worked for the first time.

Thanks to Fig! - unknown
"Simple
hold green button until you get solid go LED (1 minute)
while holding, hit the red button, then the toner button, then the red button again. Think of it as a command, I want to reset(red button)---the toner(toner button)----confirm (red button)

when you release the the green button after the confirmation, all of the "violated" cartridges report with flashing. you then dismiss them with the cancel button.
Delete printer from control panel." ED[and plug usb in reinstall]

BRILLIANT THANKS FIG THAT WORKS! Obviously plug in USB again and reinstall deleted driver after doing the above.

I tried all the button pushing of earlier posts with no change until this one which worked. I was just about to order a non HP laserjet!

Printer is a HP 2550L

Thanks again ya just saved me a packet :)
by unknown on May 22, 2008 at 9:37am Add comment
Well done! Isn't it a great feeling, great stuff!
by fletcherk on Jul 5, 2008 at 5:01am Add comment
I reset the drum unit on the 2550 with a reset chip from these guys...its well worth money

http://www.zinetic.co.uk
by unknown on Sep 25, 2008 at 8:06am Add comment
Oh YES, anything is great to beat the system and HP! Good on ya
by fletcherk on Sep 26, 2008 at 11:14pm Add comment
THANKS EVERYONE!

I tried ALL of these about 20 times each. Took me 4 days and quite a few hours of frustration.

To finally get it to work: I deleted the printer from my control panel, turned everything off, unplugged my USB cable, pulled the imaging drum out, replaced the drum, and followed the directions from Master Loulle France. It worked! I didn't need to turn the printer off and on again or anything. Just the 'Ready' light stayed solid and I knew it was fixed.

Thanks!
by unknown on Nov 20, 2008 at 12:36pm Add comment
Worked using Loulle's method for me (my Mom's printer).

After pressing the pink butting while the lights were flashing, the printer did some crap and sat there with various lights on. I started pressing all of the buttons a minute later and it printed out a Demo page, and it also printed out a couple of status pages which indicated a few things:

Pages printed: 0
Yellow Toner: non-HP (no ink level reported on it, unlike the other 3 toners)
Imaging Drum: non-HP warning

Then, it printed 2 more Demo pages and I may have queued up a bunch, so I took out the paper and turned the printer off and on.

Then, we tried to print from OS X. The printer was not online, so I went into system prefs and saw that there was a new, non-default, HP printer that was idle. Makes sense, since the serial number is lost when resetting. I made the new printer the default and deleted the old printer. All fixed!

Thanks all!
by Anonymous on Nov 28, 2008 at 7:51am Add comment
Hey......just take a regular 1.5v battery , I used a Duracell "C" cell....remove the toner cartridge from the printer....take a couple of steel paperclips and straighten out two of them...while holding one on each end of the battery...touch the other ends to each of the two metal pads on the toner cartridge chip. This essentially shorts the chip out. Put the toner cartridge back in and wait for the printer to do its thing....if the reset lite flashes, then push the reset button...it will do its thing again...finally, push the go button to print out the info sheet......voila, you are printing with the old toner cartridge. No driver reloads...no problems...clean and simple.

Haven't tried with image drum yet but will as soon as it dies out.
by hpzip on Dec 2, 2008 at 5:44am Add comment
hi all

i used ron D.L s instructions and it worked

- MAGIC

accept the printer didnt print a test page automatically i pressed the GO button and it printed i think the printer must print this test page or it will not work as i tried many times using different methods and none of them printed a test page (all the threads that seemed to work printed one)

also not all consumables were reset only the ones at the end of life do not know why but im happy as black cyan and yellow are at around 75\% anyway

in conculsion IT DOES WORK
by Anonymous on Feb 13, 2009 at 6:46am Add comment
Drum kit and black toner light were flasing, the "hold green button-method" to reset did fail in any combination with other buttons. (In my case, all three lights went off after some seconds.)

What also did not work on the first try was to change drum chip against toner chip. Both lights were flashing again.
I gave it a last try and changed drum chip (now on black toner cartridge), against one from a recycled blue one.
Green light - printing without necessity to re-install drivers (win xp).

I had deinstalled the toolbox on a previous reset of a toner cardridge (when the hold-green-button-method worked, don´t remember if together with red or white button. This was a year ago and the cartridges are still not empty!), so I can´t tell you if the chips are recognized as "unknown".
by unknown on May 3, 2009 at 1:24pm Add comment
Yes! I used Ron D.L.'s instructions after all previously mentioned methods failed. The first time, it didn't work. The second time, I held the toner button down and didn't release it. It works! Woo hoo!

The printer automatically printed a "Self Test/Configuration" page and a "Supplies Status Page" (which listed the old drum as a "Non-hp Drum"). The toner levels remained the same and were not reset.

Thank you so much! BTW, my printer is a 2550L.
by unknown on Jun 11, 2009 at 3:32pm Add comment
THIS WORKS!!!

I just wish I would have started at the bottom of the thread instead of the top! I've recopied the instructions that worked for me, with some more detail.

I have a 2550L, Imaging drum light and one cartridge lights on.

Followed the steps:
1. Turn the printer off.
2. Press and hold the GO button.
3. Turn the printer on and continue to hold the GO button.
4. After the Go, Ready, and Attention LEDs turn on, continue holding for at least 20 seconds until NOTHING else is turning on or off. The printer will NOT fully initialize with the GO button being held down. (This is a huge difference from many of the other instructions that I followed) During this process, the Attention, Ready, and Go LEDs will each turn off, although my GO light stayed on forever.
5. while still holding the GO button, press the cartridge selection button. don't hold it in, just press it once. This will cause the three lights to blink in unison.
6. while the 3 lights are blinking, press the red cancel button. don't hold it, just press it.
7. finally let go of the GO button.
8. Try to print - your computer will most likely not recognize your printer. For me, the Add Hardware came up immediately.
9. delete the printer in control panel and restart the printer and reinstall the software.

This sequence took me two tries. The first try removed my cartridge light and the second removed my drum light. Sweet, sweet victory!
by Anonymous on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:53am Add comment

It has worked for me five times now (2550L) - but only when the toner/drum light was flashing (fully out and unable to print). I could not get the reset to work with just the low threshold on either the drum or toner.

I reset the drum the first time, and now subsequently all four toners. I am still not totally sure of the procedure and I wonder if it should be different for toner vs drum. It definitely is different after the first reset, as for subsequent resets you don't need to disconnect the printer or re-install the driver. I suspect it needs to be different if the printer is currently running with reset supplies because now when I perform the reset, all the previously reset supplies (drum and toners) come back into alarm 'supply out' (flashing lights, unable to print). To fix this I need to press the CANCEL button again after releasing the GO button.

These are the steps I am currently using. They have worked flawlessly - first time, every time for toner - with my printer that has already had the drum and some toner reset. (I remember having lots of trouble the first time with the drum - probably tried over 20 times with lots of combinations).

- turn off printer
- hold the GO (green) button while turning on the printer
- continue to hold the GO (green) button (until the release step below)
- wait until ONLY the green GO light remains on (approx 1 minute)
- press and release the CANCEL (pink) button once
- the lights will flash
- while still flashing, press and release the ROTATE CAROUSEL (4 colours) button once
- while still flashing, press and release the CANCEL (pink) button once
- wait until ONLY the green GO light is on (approx 5 secs)
- release the GO (green) button
- if the reset toners/drums report with flashing
- press and release the CANCEL (pink) button once

Many thanks to this forum - I am now saving a fortune.

by unknown on Jun 26, 2009 at 7:31pm Add comment
This worked for me also! I'm just kicking myself for replacing the drum and cartridges so many times when I KNEW they were still good. I have five "empty" cartridges on hand. As soon as my print quality deteriorates, I will be putting them back in to squeeze as many prints out of them as I can. I think it's ridiculous to be taken advantage of like that..... - Anonymous
HP2550N
I tried every combination listed above...nothing nada, nill zilch...

Then last ditch effort (and about the only combination left)

1. PWR OFF
2. HOLDING GRN BUTTON, PWR ON
3. WAIT UNTIL LIGHTS CYCLE AND ONLY GREEN BUTTON LIGHT IS ON
4. PRESS PINK CANCEL BUTTON AND CYCLE CARTRIDGE BUTTON RELEASE ALL AT THE SAME TIME AND PRESTO...

by glimmerman on Aug 5, 2009 at 12:01pm Add comment
Changed the chip on an old toner cartdrige to an imaging drum,worked real well.Thanks a lot dtech!!!HP probably hates you,but we like you a lot!!
by unknown on Aug 14, 2009 at 8:36pm Add comment
Normally I oppose torture, but there should be an special inner circle of hell for the HP execs who thought up the counter on the drum and ink cartridges that makes them stop working for no reason. They should be subjected to hours on end of fruitless, frustrating repetitive tasks. I tried the drum re-set HUNDREDS of times. No combination worked. I would try for a few hours, give up and try again the next week. The only thing that kept me going was all you people on the forum who encouraged me. The most frustrating part was when that stupid test-print page with the HP ad would print out gorgeous, but not my documents.

I finally got it to work following Glenj's directions. Not sure what I did different. Thank you to those who helped. I hope my experience will encourage someone else as well.

I know companies have to make a profit, but having the counters is so incredibly wasteful, and it makes many people never want to buy HP again.

I still can't believe that yellow light is not flashing any more.
by kpdesign on Oct 17, 2009 at 7:18pm Add comment
By Baine - HP 2550LN - Reset trick!
-----------------------------
I can confirm the reset trick does work for the HP 2550LN.

1> Turn Printer off. Unplug all with the cables with the exception of the power cable.

2> Hold the LARGE GREEN BUTTON down and DO NOT release. Watch the lights until the 2 green buttons closest to the green switch are a solid green. Now move to step 4.

4> whilst still holding the big green button press the carousel button once. The toner lights SHOULD ALL FLASH TOGETHER. Not seperatly. Move to step 5.

5> Press the cancel button once. Remember we still should not have released the BIG GREEN BUTTON.

6> If you've done it all correctly your printer will start printing FAULT REPORTS 2-3 pages and then finally a TEST PAGE. It's now finally safe to release THE BIG GREEN BUTTON!

7> Turn off the printer and then back on again. Success! All warning lights should be off and the printer is in a READY TO PRINT mode!

7> Plug your USB (or what ever you use to connect to your PC) in to the back of the printer.

8> Windows should recognise a new printer. You've finally done it! Remember not to try using your old print driver. You need to make sure you use the newly recognised PRINTER.

Muchos Gracias
Hopefully a job well done :)
by unknown on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:53am Add comment
2550Ln

I very much am grateful to you!
All has turned out!!!!

Tried many times. Has made as you have written also all OK! - Anonymous
It works for me too.
Many thanks.
---- from Taiwan - healthup
Reset worked for me, had to press and release the red button, eventually the printer started spitting out test pages and was reset fully. No XXX's for serials though.

Thanks!
by Anonymous on Dec 28, 2009 at 10:11am Add comment
To tell you the truth, I forget which set of instructions that I followed.

I just want to add that YES it worked and THANKS to everyone for bothering to add their posts. Our printer was bought in Australia. I work with a Mac. I might add that I unplugged the usb and tried the various methods..

.. but I think it was Fig's (?) instructions regarding the cancel button, toner button, cancel button that did the trick....

Once again, thank you. I am unlikely to post here again and took the trouble and time to sign up only to make this post.

It did work. (I suppose that I tried maybe 15 times?).

Keep at it!

Capertee
by unknown on Feb 28, 2010 at 2:04am Add comment
Ok, this all seems a bit like voodoo.

I had the Imaging Drum indicator blinking.
I couldn't get it to work on my 2550Ln with the described methods. Since success and procedures seem to vary in this thread, I became suspicious.

Success came by vigorously powercycling 3 times in in ~3 s. Voila!
This might also be the mechanism by which some users got it to work by repeatedly trying several procedures.

by ladedah on Aug 5, 2010 at 10:31am Add comment
Hey, it actually worked, as described by happy as larry.
I have a 2550L, and, after I had tried all other described combinations, I pressed and kept pressed greenish Go button, and then turned the printer on. The three lights went on, and then all of them at the same time off.
Then I released the green button, and kept pressing in a quick sequence the reddish Cancel button, for about two seconds (until the lights started going on, initiating the start-up sequence).
The yellow Image Drum light didn't go on.
I printed the info pages (press green and red buttons together), and it shows Page Counts as 1, 1, 0, 0 (total pages printed, color pages printed, pages jammed in printer, pages mispicked in printer).
Product serial number is deleted (shows XXXXXXXX), and on the next page it shows "non-hp drum" installed, although it is an original HP drum.
I hope this helps somebody.
by unknown on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:27am Add comment
Save yourself some time, the method mentioned by Fig worked for me:

"hold green button until you get solid go LED (1 minute)
while holding, hit the red button, then the toner button, then the red button again. Think of it as a command, I want to reset(red button)---the toner(toner button)----confirm (red button)"

All of the rest are probably just what they thought they did when they accidentally did the above.
by unknown on Feb 2, 2011 at 2:06pm Add comment
hey,
this worked for me after tring lot of times. i followed these steps by Baine. thanks Baine.

1> Turn Printer off. Unplug all with the cables with the exception of the power cable.

2> Hold the LARGE GREEN BUTTON down and DO NOT release. Watch the lights until the 2 green buttons closest to the green switch are a solid green. Now move to step 4.

4> whilst still holding the big green button press the carousel button once. The toner lights SHOULD ALL FLASH TOGETHER. Not seperatly. Move to step 5.

5> Press the cancel button once. Remember we still should not have released the BIG GREEN BUTTON.

6> If you've done it all correctly your printer will start printing FAULT REPORTS 2-3 pages and then finally a TEST PAGE. It's now finally safe to release THE BIG GREEN BUTTON!

7> Turn off the printer and then back on again. Success! All warning lights should be off and the printer is in a READY TO PRINT mode!

7> Plug your USB (or what ever you use to connect to your PC) in to the back of the printer.

8> Windows should recognise a new printer. You've finally done it! Remember not to try using your old print driver. You need to make sure you use the newly recognised PRINTER.

cheers and good luck
by unknown on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:28am Add comment
I cannot download HP color laserjet 2550 L drivers. Please help.
by oppiesaa on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:56am Add comment
I cannot download HP color laserjet 2550 L drivers. Please help.
by oppiesaa on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:59am Add comment
I LOVE THIS PRINTER! I've printed (actually two daughters through high school and part way through university) 10,000 pages plus and never replaced anything but toner. Yes I've had to do the following:

Purchase 3rd party toners,
Switch chips (and keep track of which to where and whatnot),
Press and hold buttons in various orders, never remembering what I did last time that worked. Did it standing on my left foot with tongue stuck out, rubbing my belly and once singing a Justin Beiber song.
Pressing and holding buttons again and again and again. Unplugging the power, reinstalling drivers.

If you aren't going to print for a while turn it off, it cycles every hour or so wasting toner and adding page counts.

DON'T GIVE UP. There is no rhyme or reason why it works sometimes and others not.
by Shackman on Jan 8, 2012 at 1:19pm Add comment
1.turn on printer while you are hold GO button {green}.
2.continue to hold GO button until all LEDs switch off,quickly release the GO button and press and hold red /cancel button just 20seconds. this procedure worked for me.thanks
by s.kalekela on Feb 23, 2012 at 11:32pm Add comment
1.turn on printer while you are hold GO button {green}.
2.continue to hold GO button until all LEDs switch off,quickly release the GO button and press and hold red /cancel button just 20seconds. this procedure worked for me.thanks
by s.kalekela on Feb 24, 2012 at 8:17am Add comment
Worked for my 2550!!!!!
Needed to try a lot of times but is worked!!

So don't give up.
by unknown on Feb 7, 2014 at 3:33pm Add comment