bks81

asked May 11, 2005 at 10:22pm
Samsung Samsung IZZI Laser+

Samsung CPL-500

Hello,
I am new to this forum and also new to color laser printers. I have 2 monochrome printers, and 1 is 10 or more years old and still going strong. My question is about the Samsung CPL-500. I see that the toner cartridges cost about $100 each, and there are 4 of them, so replacing them would almost cost as much as a new printer. I was thinking about buying from http://www.tonerrefillkits.com , but see where many of you dont suggest this. I am very good at maintaining my stuff, and wonder if it is worth using the refill kits in the Samsung?? Also, what else should I replace at each refill?? ie .. wiperblade, ect. I also see where the overflow needs to be emptied, is this a seperate unit or built into each toner cartridge?? Please don't scold me as I am new to this. I have only used Panasonic toner in my other printers, but only because thats all I could find. LOL I was lucky enough to find many new parts for my KX-P4410 on ebay real cheap, so it will be going for along time to come I hope..

Thanks,
bks
I bought some re-manufactured cartridges, however when I insert the yellow one something odd happens, normally the printer starts making big whirring noises, when i put the yellow one in, there is some odd clicking and after about 30 seconds the status light changes from green to Yellow and the LCD displays "INVALID NEW TONER YELLOW".

Help, is this easily fixable or do I need to send it back? Printer is a CLP500.

Also the quality of print seems poor, when I print out a page in colour there is one or two splodges of red toner, even though I have installed a new (Remanufactured) red toner cart.

by unknown on Apr 20, 2006 at 2:35pm Add comment
Hello. I am new to this forum and I see it is quite well used. I have just bought secondhand a Samsung CLP500. I am assured it is in working order. It has just had new toner cartridges fitted. It has a problem that I see from others on this forum that is not unique to mine. It is alternating faults 'Tracking belt error' and 'Lever unlocking error' Anyone know what is the cause of this. I am reluctant to spend any money at the moment as I am in the position where I can get my money back if it is a big problem. However, now I have got the printer I would like to use it. Thanks in advance. ME
by pianoman-oldrover on Aug 12, 2006 at 6:39am Add comment
Do you know how to resetthe imaging unit, the fuser and all rollers?
There is a hidden maitenance menu in the machine!!!
You can enter the menu in this way:

Start up the machine with push in the buttons "online" and "cancel"
--You will see the message "Download mode press online key"
Press about 15 times the "menu" key
--You will see the message "Uncheck consumable mode"
Press about 15 times "menu" and 5 times "enter"
--You will see "Press access key"
Press a few enters
Press 3 times "cancel"
Go to the EDC mode
-- you will see "press access key"
Press "cancel"
Go to maintenance and initialize the parts you like to reset.

Nice isn't it?
(sometimes you have to try a few times; don't wait to long inbetween the steps)
by unknown on Sep 5, 2006 at 2:55am Add comment
Resetting by the hidden menu goes great.
Resetting the toner with www.dunfield.com/clp510 goes great.
But how to reset the transferbelt??? - Anonymous
Could some spell out how to access the Hidden maintenance menu for the CLP-510 any better? I managed to get as far as having the display show "Uncheck consumable mode" but then it goes into the normal start up. The post says press the menu key 15 times ,then the enter key 5 times, but its not working. Thanks - Anonymous
I will have a buddy of mine, who is named Bill, to see if he may be able to help you out. Are these 500's or 510's? :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Sep 15, 2005 at 6:45am Add comment
Hy,

I have some question about CLP-500 printer:

1. Is the waste toner reusable or not?
2. I have an error message on my LCD display on a CLP500 printer:
Invalid newToner Black. I have refilled the toner and reset the fuse, by replacing it with another one. Can you tell how to get rid of the error message? Or what is the cause of the error message?

Thanks.
by unknown on Jun 21, 2006 at 10:34am Add comment
Here's the skinny. There is a fuse on the little contact, yes, but there is also a resistor that tells it whether it is a high or low yield toner. If you look at the resistor, you will see it has a black and an orange band on it, whereas the high yield has a gold and purple (there are other colors, but these are the main different colors). The 500 can usually use either type, but the 550 cannot use the low yield.

As for the 510, you MUST replace the chip. There is no setting in the user modes to reset the counter to zero. THe chip must be replaced or reset by a remanufacturer like myself. Keep in mind that by "refilling", you are running on used components designed to operate for a specific number of rotations. If you do heavy coverage, it may be OK, but for those whose cartridges "chip out" or end of life, they are very likely to fail before reaching the end of the next cycle. When you have one fail (i.e.- leakage) you run a real risk of ruining the drum, transfer belt, fuser, even staining the laser slit with toner (tech only issue) and then you have real problems. I recommend having your toners remanufactured for you by a professional who warrantees them, and preserve your machine. You see, these toner pirates on the internet also do not tell you that the toner they sell you for these results in more wear on the DV roller, due to the polystyrene composition as opposed to the polyester OEM toner that due not have the same lubricating properties. Nor do they provide the equal or better image density.

As for the fuser heat error, if you bought the machine in the last three years, call 1-800-SAMSUNG and they will send you a new fuser for it. It takes all of four screws to replace. It is not contorted like HP, it is very simple. They will replace it under warranty for you if you have your paperwok.

The waste toner is NOT reuseable unless you can separate the cyan, yellow, magenta and black particles from each other.

And finally, if I can be of any help or build you any toners for these, you may feel free to contact for more assistance at [email protected] or call me at 501-368-8324. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jun 27, 2006 at 7:13am Add comment
Does anyone know what to do with a transfer belt and lever ERRORS? I have unplugged the printer,took the transfer belt out and made sure it was all correct and then when I started it I got one copy and then right back to the errors! errors!
Thank you
by 9maine on Aug 1, 2006 at 1:33pm Add comment
I have a waste motor error and also a waste toner tank that needs to be replaced and I cannot find where to order it. Staples here does not have it and cleaning it worked once but not since.
by outreach on Sep 5, 2006 at 3:35pm Add comment
I get a "Insert Imaging Unit" message all the time. I'ved swapped imaging units - still doesn't go.

Does anyone know what sensor is giving me this message?
by Anonymous on Sep 20, 2006 at 9:57am Add comment
I mean "Install Imaging Unit"... - Anonymous
ok, this is odd.

I thought I had fixed the problem last night, but it's back again (albeit not quite as bad).

I took out the transfer belt and the OPC drum again and checked them - all look fine.

Checked the developer rollers on the toner carts, agian - all look fine.

The strange thing about this line is that it literally starts at the top of the page - no margin. The very top.

SO I had a look around and noticed that when you open and close the toner door, there's a small window that becomes covered and uncovered as you do so. I assume that this is where tha laser sits under the OPC drum?

Anyway, cleaned it with a cotton bud and all seemed well. Line was gone, printing perfectly.

Did a few pages and switched off. Got up this morning and the line's back, although slightly less prominant. It's not perfectly straight and the best way I can describe it is that someone's taken a pencil down the page very lightly without using a ruler. If you clean this window again, it goes away to varying degrees.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Adrian
by squiggs1982 on Oct 21, 2006 at 6:23am Add comment
In my opinion tonerrefillkits is a huge ripoff. I've gotten into a couple of discussions on forums with people I suspect are shills for that site. Given their totally outrageous claims, they would have to be. I've been in toner cartridge remanufacture for 15 years and know it's totally impossible to get as many cycles as they claim out of a cartridge that is properly done, much less "drilled and filled" with no parts replacement or cleanup! They are preying on the nOObs who know nothing about these matters. If you want to do it right at a much lower cost, you can research some of the online magazines of the trade. They are available free in our Reference section above.
by moe on May 11, 2005 at 11:17pm Add comment
Just read your post, I have two samsung laser printers(ML-1740, ML-2010), once I refilled toner, it either printed out lightly or nothing, I checked roller carefully without exposure under sunlight, what's wrong with that?I used HP laser toner cartridge to refill, never have any problem. How do you think about it?

Look forward to your reply, thanks

yibing - Anonymous
I understand your thoughts on tonerrefillkits.com, but you did not answer many of my questions. From what I read in previous posts, some brands of cartridges will fail sooner then others. So how does the Samsung cartridges hold up?? And what else would you recommend replacing at each refill to make the cartridge last longer?? Also, the Samsung replacement cartridges are rated for 5,000/7,000 pages, but the ones that come with the printer are only rated for 1,500/2,000 pages. So I would think that I should be able to refill the cartridges atleast to get to the 5,000/7,000 pages that full cartridges will last. Do you recommend another source for buying toner from, seeing as you consider tonerrefillkits.com a "ripoff"??

Thanks, bks81
by bks81 on May 12, 2005 at 10:30am Add comment
Hi There,
I have a CLP 510, & have just printed my 1st run of 500 letterheads..

To my HORROR 2 Toners now showing Empty..WTF !!!
They are most probably 90\% full.
Coz of chip telling Printer their empty I cant print anything until replaced.
So in theory 500 letterheads will have cost me £180.

I was quoted £20 from local printer...???

This practise should NOT be allowed and should be outlawed.
I know I can buy a new chip & refill, but why should I.

They should be known as SCAMSUNG - unknown
Samsung basically builds disposable laser printers. Absolutely no quality in them. They can sell them for $100-$150 because they give you "starter" cartridges. This is so they can quickly start making money when you have to go out and buy full ones. To properly rebuild a cartridge, you should replace the drum, wiper blade and toner. You also need to vacuum out the waste. You can not just dump in new toner like tonerrefill kits does. I can't believe some of the outrageous claims of 6 or more refills. There is no way a cartridge can absorb that much waste toner or that a drum and wiper blade can last that long. I did give you resources so you can do your own research. I guess I'll have to provide the link http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/links/publications
by moe on May 12, 2005 at 10:43am Add comment
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with moe on this one. Besides the stuff that he mentioned, toner is NOT generic, toner made for HP printers can not be used in Samsung or other brands. Each toner is specifically formulated to work in that brand/model printer specified.

[email protected]
by Anonymous on May 12, 2005 at 10:56am Add comment
Will I be able to refill the cartridges that came with the machine to get 5000/7000 pages out of them??
by bks81 on May 12, 2005 at 5:05pm Add comment
I haven't seen their starter cartridges. I've seen where some mfgs. just short fill their regular cartridges and others where the toner hopper is just large enough to hold the starter amount of toner.
by moe on May 12, 2005 at 6:39pm Add comment
But the rest of the cartridge should last for 5000/7000 page count like the replacement cartridges do?? ie the wiper and drum, ect.
by bks81 on May 12, 2005 at 7:43pm Add comment
They wouldn't make special drums and wiper blades. Did you ever do any research in those publications? They supply a wealth of resources and information.
by moe on May 12, 2005 at 8:49pm Add comment
Yes, I searched thru all the links there looking for Samsung and didnt find anything. It seems Samsung is not a popular printer with them sites. Or maybe I'm not searching for the right thing?? What did you have in mind when you said to research?? And thank you for being patient with me. Now seeing as I will need toner to refill my partially full cartridges, where would you suggest I buy it??

PS>> I see where there is a waste toner bottle as a consumable for this printer, does that mean that the cartridge does not collect the waste toner??

thanks
by bks81 on May 12, 2005 at 9:21pm Add comment
TRY CARTRIDGE WORLD FOR YOUR TONERS - Anonymous
I have been remanning the toners for our fleet of CLP 500/550 printers for some time. I am actually an independent dealer that sells and services Samsung, Copystar and others. As for the Samsungs having no quality to them, in my 12 years in this business of both retail and service, as well as recharging, I have to tell you that nothing could be farther from the truth. I do offer a remanned cartridge for these, each color, but there is no drum available at this time. The toner carts on this are simply a DV unit filled with toner. That's it. Yes the starters can be remanned as HY units. There is no smartchip on them, but there is on the CLP-510/560 series. I offer the remans for 59.95 with core, and a 100\% guarantee that it will run properly until out of toner. These are not HP-like toners, and they do require a special cleaning. There is a sponge roller behind the plastic mag and metal doctor blade. You can mess one of these up in a hurry, so I do not recommend doing these on your own. If you like, you may contact me at [email protected], or at my office at Superior Office Solutions at 501-368-8324. I will either give you instructions on how to do it if you insist, or I would be more than happy to do them for you. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on May 13, 2005 at 5:35am Add comment
Do you still do the refurbs for the CLP-510N? Do you sell actual replacement cartridges as well? - stove
I have an empty yellow toner. Do you remanufacture these? - Anonymous
Hi,

You are in the business so this may be a trade secret but let's see.

I just refilled an ML 2510 starter cart which printed a few pages but then quit with the red light blinking. I expect my problem is a fuse problem.

I don't understand how the thing runs with the starter cart without a fuse but then requires a fuse.

Anyway, not having a fuse I rolled a piece of foil and put it in the fuse slot to short the very obvious contacts in the machine.

Nonetheless, the machine still does not print????

So okay...it shorts and blows the fuse to reset. I took the rolled foil out to mimic that sequence. Still does not print and red light is blinking.

What is the operation cycle on those things?

Looks like any old link fuse of a blowable amperage would work but mimicing the cycle doesn't work.

I'm an old industrial tech.

Would you mind explaining to me how this thing works?

Jack - bigjackjj
PCRMike knows what he is talking about. I would get them from him, if I were you. Have a nice day!!!
by bisawest on May 13, 2005 at 8:35am Add comment
Now I see why I couldn't find the model. It's really a CLP-500 (Color Laser Printer-500). The cartridges don't have drums in them like Mike says. Remanufacturing cartridges is a lot harder than people think. If you aren't set up to do quantities, it's really not worth it. These companies like printerrefillkits delude people into thinking it's easy and they're saving lots of money. In reality, you can get a properly remanufactured cartridge for not much more than they're selling a bottle of their extremely high priced toner for. Mike has some pretty good pricing on them.
Mike, I was referring to the cheap $100 Samsungs as disposable. I didn't even realize he had a color laser. Even HP makes some disposable low end printers. You get what you pay for.
by moe on May 13, 2005 at 8:56am Add comment
OOPS >>>>>>> Sorry about mixing the letters up. I will get with Mike for more details on remans. Thanks.
by bks81 on May 13, 2005 at 5:37pm Add comment
The 510 has a chip, see the other post, but I am going to get with a programmer this week who has been working on it, and he should have something for me by Friday. I will post findings here. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Aug 22, 2005 at 5:50am Add comment
SAMSUNG ENGINEER LOOKED @ MACHINE
HE WASNT EVEN AWARE THEY HAD CHIPS ON THE 510 ???
SAID I HAD FAULTY MOBO ON PRINTER
CHANGED MOBO & CONFIRMED THIS WOULD WORK..IT DIDNT..DOH !!
I KNEW MORE ABOUT THE MACHINE THAN HE DID...
RANG HEAD OFFICE..SAMSUNG ARE AWARE OF BATCH OF FAULTY TONER CART CHIPS LOCKING OUT...
HE ORDERED FULL SET OF TONERS FOR ME...AT LAST..
ME HAPPY BUNNY NOW...
UNTIL THEY LOCK AGAIN
- unknown
Hey PCRMike

E-mail me your cell phone...I can't get ahold of you elswehere since the site is down.

We'll try & hook up in Vegas for a beer!

Phil S
by Phil S. on Aug 22, 2005 at 12:32pm Add comment
I GOT THEM!!! :-) I got a couple of vendors who have already got them for me now. Call me with inquiries, or email. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Aug 27, 2005 at 9:22pm Add comment
waste toner cartridge - got error message that it was full/missing so i emptied and replaced it, but still get the message.

I learned from pcrmike there is an optical sensor that determines when the waste toner cartridge fills to the sensor level. If you look under the left-hand green plug there is a hemispherical bulb towards you that will fit into the recessed area in the printer. bend a Q-tip, reach in through the left-hand opening, and clean the sides of this bulge.
by coopetal on Sep 11, 2005 at 3:19pm Add comment
Did cleaning the sensor correct your error message? I am getting the same error and was wondering if you could provide more specifics regarding what to clean.

From your message:
If you look under the left-hand green plug there is a hemispherical bulb towards you that will fit into the recessed area in the printer. bend a Q-tip, reach in through the left-hand opening, and clean the sides of this bulge.

Is the part to clean on the cartridge itself or the printer? Do you have a picture you could send of where to clean with q-tip? - Anonymous
Thanks so much for the "Q-tip" tip, that totally worked and saved me some bucks. I've already bought one replacement toner tank - i think i paid about $20 and not 2 months later it was "full" again. We rarely use this printer so 2 months might be 400 pages. I was ready to look for another printer if I was going to have to spend $20 every couple of months just on the toner tank. - Anonymous
This method worked perfectly. Many thanks to coopetal and pcrmike for this fix. I sure appreciate it.

A consumable waste toner cartidge.??!? What a rip-off
- Anonymous
Hey, can you let me know what prices are for replacement cartridges?

I'm also running into a specific prorblem with these units.

The printers appear very delicate and apparently when the morons who work here load the printer with whatever laser-printer-paper-is-on-sale-this-week they tend to have problems. They used this expensive Hammermill paper that's very glossy and approved for laser printer use, but UNLESS they pick the 'thick setting' on teh paper type, the printer will leave huge splotches of undeveloped toner and leave a huge mess on that page, and paborably the next one.

Is this bad long term for the printer?

Secondly. Two units are now apparently leaving lots of streaks on the page vertically running top to bottom. The only thing I was able to track down was that someone was running a stupid long print job printing 300 page pdf's to the printer, and they did it on one printer and when it bogged down, tehy cannled the job after an HOUR of the printiner working on it, and then tried it on a second printer. Now both printers have streaks galore and I'm getting complaints. I have both printers out of service for the immediate future but I am unsure how to fix this. I have a call in to Samsung on how to fix this. When I open the printer and remove the transfer belt (it looks okay) blueish green rollers (the toner assemblies?) Have tons of toner dust on them which I am guessing is from the actual jobs that failed. Is there anyway to clean this? I am guessing that spraying them out with a spray can isn't the wisest idea.

Also, We have 21 of these units. five of them are still on their initial 90 days and I spoke to my distributor and he will take them back. I am totally not happy with the quality of these printers and the experiences tus far have me concerned about how long they will last on 3000-10,000 page a month duty cycles.

Is there a replacement printer that is in the 400-1000$ price range that has on-board ethernet that is better built, and more reliable? Better color quality is a plus, and/or higher resolution. IS there some older HP printer that is 1 year old that I can pick up off lease that might be a better deal? With this many printers I have the bad feeling that my support costs are going to skyrocket over time. I priced out a full set of toner cartridges at over 84.00 x 4, plus belt assembly that's another $350. That's almost the price of the unit itself.

I don't want to get into a long discussion over what printer sucks or not, but I'm kind of looking for options. The HP printers I am looking at look like shit until you spend more than $1000 for them. I don't mind spending $1000 for one, if I know that I'll get something better out of them.

Someone messaged me privately and asked why there are so many units. This organization has 5 locations, with 21 printers scattered among them. So I simply couldn't replace like most of them with 2 or 3 expensive color lasers. I was hoping to be able to consolidate most sites onto 1 or 2 large units, but the only budget I was able to get for such a large purchase was in the order of 4 to 5 thousand dollars and they are unwilling to spend more to get a durable enterprise class printer capable of putting out 30k pages a month color. It's the old example of being penny wise and pound foolish. IT's cheaper to buy a cheap printer printer up front, and spend a fortune on the supplies. They learned this lesson after spending over 75k in fiscal 2003 on INK alone.

Any advice on the above is good.
by stove on Sep 13, 2005 at 4:02pm Add comment
I noticed you used the term "penny wise and pound foolish", are you in UK? If so, there are two of my friends there that can help you out as well. You may email me direct, or call me. Your choice, no strings attached, I just want to help. [email protected] or 501-368-8324. :-) PCRMike - Anonymous
Okay, here's help. The gloss paper is to be run in the bypass under the settings for thick paper. This is in the users manual. This allows more time for the toner to be fused to the paper. The gloss needs to be run thru the bypass, and the print settings under properties for the paper to the thick setting. If you have a "blue green roller" is dirty, this is the drum. The problem you are having sounds a lot like a lack of education (no offense, please, you asked for help, I am giving help)that your dealer should have gone over with you. I have sold 40-50 units in the last year, some of which are running 25-30K per month in volume. Where are you, and if you like, I will recommend a dealer friend somewhere in the states to come and do a free instructional for you. You may email me directly if you have any further concerns. As for the toners, you may purchase those from me for $79.95, IF you send me the empties as well. I will reman yours, with 100\% warranty, and send you your same toners back each time. This is a really good, well-built little printer, and you just need a little help in the details. It really will cost you less in the long run. In fact, I run off 500-1000 page full color pdf's on my personal one all the time. It isn't the printer, it is likely the gloss paper. I will help you understand how laser printers work, and get you thru this. :-) PCRMike ([email protected])
by pcrmike on Sep 14, 2005 at 5:27am Add comment
Hi, i'm in New York City. The printers are scattered over the five offices in a 25 mile radius.
by stove on Sep 15, 2005 at 12:33am Add comment
510s.

I just got approval to return 13 of them. Im getting back almost the full price on them. I'll be left with only 7 of them finally, and I'll be replacing 4 standalones with some random color laser, but I finally got approval to get some nice high end Canon Docuprint for the 3 main offices (which replaces 9 printers total). Even if I spend more in toner, it might seem cheaper in the long run.

Yay!

by Anonymous on Sep 15, 2005 at 8:53am Add comment
Hm, it didn't post as me last time.

Well. Delivery service just came in return the first batch of 510s. It feels like a huge relief on my mind to get rid of them. I tried calling Samsung and apparently there's no field technician network for this?

I'm going to be stuck with a few more 510s in the immediate future, and the two broken ones that I've already removed from active service. I already called Samsung, and there's toner dust all over the rollers, even after following their instructions there's toner dust everywhere on the rollers. As this printer is still able to be returned I'm going to go ahead and return it.

I've been making phone calls all morning attempting to figure out the circumstances that killed these printers and the only 'evidence' i can find is this. It was a junior employee who was new on the job, they had given her 4mb PDF file, that consisted of 11 pages of text and some image scans. She said that she hit print, and hit 'thick paper' as she was supposed to, and went to get lunch aroud 12:20. She came back three hours later and the printer was still flashing the green light and only the first two pages of the job had printed. This printer is on the network, and network connectivity was not down during the period in question. She went to go call her help desk number, and by the time she got back to the printer the unit had been power cycled and a bunch of other jobs were sitting in the output tray. All the jobs since then are covered in the long vertical lines of primary color toner dust. I can post a scan of it, if necessary.

THEN, around 4:30 the same day, she went ahead and printed the same job to another 510N that was next to it, and the same thing happened. The printer was apparently flashing the green light until someone from the help desk saw it flashing after what looks like almost 14 hours and power cycled the printer. This printer is also doing the long vertical lines of primary color toner dust. I was told about this a few hours later when the trouble tickets were escalted to administration.

I put a call out to hammermill who made the paper in question to see if there was some kind of gotcha as far as these papers go in these printers as apparently it's a lethal combination if the user fucks up.

I will be emailing you as I have some 510N cartridges that I need to refill.

Wish me luck, I got a call from the CEO of the company asking why 2/3 of his offices cannot print color documents. Apparently people are getting upset that printers are being removed without being told why. I really wish I could have known all this crap before I took this job, four of the previously mentioned Konicas are arriving today at four, so I will be setting those up, and hopefuly it won't be a huge deal to update the msi with the drivers for it.

God, I miss the days of simple printing. :P
by stove on Sep 15, 2005 at 10:38am Add comment
Oh, random question.

I asked if I could simply ban the hammermill paper entirely and use something else less problematic. It turns out purchasing got a 'good deal' on this paper and how has 11 cases of it(i think 12 packages of 500 sheets each).

It looks like I'm going to be stuck with this paper for a while.
by stove on Sep 15, 2005 at 10:40am Add comment
I'm not sure that is a paper problem. Can you take some digi pix and email them to me of the lines of toner? I am very curious as to the cause. The fact of only 2 pages having printed on each after all that time tells me there was something either wrong with the document or the interface. That is really odd. I print large jobs to ours all the time, and have a number of customers who do so as well. Hmm. Feel free to send the pix. I will get Bill in touch with you. Send me your phone # etc, and I will get him on it. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Sep 15, 2005 at 2:43pm Add comment
Are you in Queens or Brooklyn? My bud there usually doesn't go to the other burroughs. If you don't mind, just tell me which burrough you guys are in. Thanks. :-) PCRmike
by pcrmike on Sep 21, 2005 at 8:16am Add comment
Hi.

We're located in Manhattan, only one branch is in Brooklyn, and that one is going to be migrated to a Canon Imagerunner. I've capped the number of Samsungs down to 4 now. =) I've been able to replace every other unit, and while this was not something I wished to do, I was forced to because people made so much noise about how 'unresponsive' Samsung was in addressing their own problems, and they decided to spring for the Canons as Canon has an established service department and all that nonsense. They just spent 40 grand just to get started. The last four samsungs are being kept at the home office and I'm going to keep them deployed unless something else happens.

I never got a satisfactory answer from samsung about the toner dust, and the only future advice I can offer for anyone is to ensure that users do the thick paper setting, and don't use any fancy paper.

by stove on Sep 21, 2005 at 8:43am Add comment
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on that. Hopefully things will work out better for you this time around. :-) PCRMike 501-368-8324 Call me anytime if I can help.
by pcrmike on Sep 21, 2005 at 8:50am Add comment
I will call you soon, as I have to arrange to get some samsung carts filled. The STUPID people here were THROWING THEM OUT.

Doth Stupidity have no bounds?
by stove on Sep 26, 2005 at 3:27pm Add comment
LOL, One man's trash is another man's treasure, and vice versa! :-) PCRmike
by pcrmike on Sep 26, 2005 at 3:42pm Add comment
PCRmike,

Please call me at 810-220-6021 and leave a way to contact you. Your email is bouncing.
Lazybulldog/Peter Maxfield
by lazybulldog on Oct 3, 2005 at 6:07pm Add comment
Bouncing? What is bouncing? Is it like rejecting it as spam? :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 4, 2005 at 5:59am Add comment
I think it is working again. I don't know what happenned. I am posting this here because it will tell me if I respond to the thread. Bear with me please. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 4, 2005 at 4:20pm Add comment
Stove, I don't think it does! I have never gone more than a week and not seen someone doing something stupid! :-) PCRMike

by pcrmike on Oct 6, 2005 at 6:03am Add comment
we're not cleaning the sensor, we're cleaning the 1"x2" trapizodal plastic window, approximately 1/2" thick, that is perpendicular to the waste tray and immediately below the left hand (of two) openings. as the waste toner fills up the tray eventually it reached this window and blocks the sensor light from passing through.

it took a couple of trys, but the error message did go away when i had sufficiently cleaned the window.

i've posted a photo at www.cgv.com/dyn/samsung.
by coopetal on Oct 6, 2005 at 10:24am Add comment
could you send the pic to email:

brentpatterson.1 (at) netzero (dot) net

I would really appreciate it! Thanks for the help!!

Got it. I really appreciate your help!!
by pinggolf on Oct 6, 2005 at 10:30am Add comment
Thanks a billion!!! Was originally told that a replacement waste toner cartridge had to be purchased and would take two weeks to arrive! Thanks again :o)
by Anonymous on Oct 6, 2005 at 10:08pm Add comment
FYI, if you empty it out really well, you can wash it in the sink with dishsoap, rinse well, and blow dry it out, and it is like new. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 7, 2005 at 5:10am Add comment
Works like a charm now!! Actually cleaned waste cartridge and error was still showing, but took a q-tip and cleaned the bulbs/sensors on each side of the area that coopetal showed and it cleared the message out the first time.

Thanks! - pinggolf
I bought a clp-510 two weeks ago and after less than 600 pages the Toner low message appeared.
I would guess the 5\% rule had been observed by me and my pages.

Question about the smartchip?
Does anyone have a schematic for it, I am buying some spares, but
they will take a week from California, I am in Maryland.

The smartchip has three connections, power,and ground and at least one signal. ( assuming no signaling over the power line ).

Has anyone thought about ways to short out the signal line,
the chip probably has a microchip that counts pulses, and returns some kind of pulse stream to indicate low and out(off).
I am only talking about the one signal line. You probably could only short out incoming pulses, return data may be manditory for the main printer processor to procede with operation

How about reprogramming the microcontroller?

Is there a service manual available for the CLP-510?

Sincerely
George
by georgerw on Oct 7, 2005 at 11:38am Add comment
The smart chip in the colour packs are just a fuses, 1/8 th' of an amp connected to pins 1 and 3. It also measures approx 1 ohm although this is not unusual for this type of fusable.

It is just the type shaped like a resistor. Hope this is of interest to you all out there.

On a side note, having just refilled the carts. The printouts are now doing exactly what the above gent was saying - smearing toner down the page and then fusing it on to the page.

I had a look at the image drum and the toner is pushing it's way past the hard rubber toner collecting strip and being left on the drum. As far as I can see.

Does anybody know how to remedy this, as it sounds like you all refill your carts and presumably all dont have this problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Panasonic_bloke
by Anonymous on Oct 28, 2005 at 12:19pm Add comment
That fuse is for the CLP-500, not the 510. The 510 usaes an actual chip that is available in England. Send me an email, and I'll hook you up. Thank you for the info on the fuse for the 500, that has been a bugger! :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 28, 2005 at 12:45pm Add comment
Hi,

I would like to get the contact infor for the 510 replacement chips. Found some on net of 14.99 + ship. Has anyone found a bypass for the 510 chip issue yet?

Thanks
Michael - Anonymous
Well, with a lot of farting about i think i've cured it and found the cause too. The thin card was a very high ph and would seem to contain a small amount of oil for smoothness.

Although the lady maintained she uses it in her laserjet the oil part caused the image transfer belt to deposit some onto the drum and voilla, smeary toner all over the printed pages.

Anyhoo, using a very expensive micro fibre cloth and using some video head cleaning fluid (blended industrial alcahol) cleaned the drun, transfer belt. And now I'm pleased to say the world is lovely again and so are my prints. :)

All the best from panasonic_bloke
by Anonymous on Oct 29, 2005 at 9:18am Add comment
HELP PLEASE!!!
My boyfriend took out the toner tank and throw it out...can you believe that shit! Anyway, I need to get a new one, Any Ideas!!

Second, the thing was leaving a half page 'smudge' of black then of all colors on my papers, is this because I am running out of toner??
by unknown on Dec 8, 2005 at 11:10am Add comment
Yes, i can believe this shit. But i don't know what you mean by "get a new one". A new boyfriend, printer or toner tank??? ;-)
- Anonymous
i ordered two before learning how to clean the waste tray and will be happy to sell/ship one to you: $23 plus whatever UPS is. [email protected]
by coopetal on Dec 8, 2005 at 12:37pm Add comment
I am working on printing an instruction guide on cleaning these properly, give me about a week. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 8, 2005 at 3:14pm Add comment
in addition, i've posted instructions & photo on our website, http://www.cgv.com/Samsung.htm and will update with any suggestions you have.

coopetal
by coopetal on Dec 8, 2005 at 3:55pm Add comment
That's pretty good. The only suggestion I have is to go ahead and wash in warm soapy water, particularly with the bottle half full, add a little dishsoap, shake well, and rinse out. Let dry. This will help prevent the staining effect that occurs after two or three cycles, and the continued message after reinsertion. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 8, 2005 at 4:03pm Add comment
Thanks for your responses, Helped alot with the toner issue....

Ok does anyone know about the 1/4 page black or color smudge on my pages!
by unknown on Dec 9, 2005 at 1:56am Add comment
Have you opened it up to see if it is on the drum or t-belt? :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 9, 2005 at 5:34am Add comment
Yes I took a look at it and there doesn't seem to be anything there. Got any other Ideas?? - Anonymous
I have as CLP-500 and haven't done much colour on it, but plenty of black. Still has initial toners, over a year old (in fact, yellow ran out a looong time ago). All the colour now seems to have run out, and I replaced the initial black. But I doubt it has really run out.

I'm wondering if there is something about it, that if I don't print colour on it frequently enough, and somehow packs up and the toner carts don't work anymore? And if so, can I easily revive them?

When the yellow first ran out, I had a service tech check it out. His conclusion was that it just ran out of toner. But I really find it hard to believe it ran out that quick.

What do others think?
by unknown on Dec 12, 2005 at 12:55am Add comment
craigyi,

Even if you are only printing black, you still will be using a small percentage of all colors when you are printing, so yes , it is possible that you just ran out of toner even if you didn't do a ton of color printing.

The best way to "revive" your color is to contact PCRMIKE in the thread above...he specializes in Samsung & can quickly help you out on the toner cartridges!

Regards,
Phil S
by unknown on Dec 12, 2005 at 5:39am Add comment
Consider it done. We will post the results for the help of others. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 12, 2005 at 3:14pm Add comment
Does anyone know suppliers of CLP-500 remanufactured toners in Australia? (Otherwise new colour ones cost about AU$129.20 each)

Thanks.
by unknown on Dec 18, 2005 at 1:32pm Add comment

you can get refills at cartridge world australia - Anonymous
I think my bud Shaggy does those over there, but I know he was having a hard time getting the toner imported. I will check with him or email you his address. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 19, 2005 at 5:50am Add comment
Cartridge World does a decent product. Not as good for graphics as mine, but if they are available there, go for it. I couldn't get ahold of Shaggy. Best of luck to ya. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 28, 2005 at 6:24am Add comment
I have replace all my color cartridges but the colors still look terribly faded. Do I need to replace other parts of my 2-year old printer, for example, when do I have to replace the drum? Thanks.
by henryL on Dec 31, 2005 at 8:04pm Add comment
Did you replace the black? ;-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 31, 2005 at 8:18pm Add comment
Yes. I replaced all of the cartridges. While the black printing looks better than the color results. It, too, looks faded. Thanks. - henryL
I would suspect the t-belt, drum, or maybe even the t roller. Unless these are refills... :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jan 1, 2006 at 7:37am Add comment
the cartridges are Samsung new onew. Since the papers are handled properly by the printer and the only problem is the faded color, does that suggest that the problem is a particular one of the 3 possible items that was suggested to be faulty? what does the drum, t-belt or t roller do? are they involved in applying color? Should I purchase a drum? Thanks.
by henryL on Jan 1, 2006 at 9:11am Add comment
I would first consider the tranfer belt, as these have been known to have issues like this. it's job is to take the image from the drum and place it on the paper. This is the likely culprit. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jan 1, 2006 at 2:59pm Add comment
thanks, pcrmike.You have been very helpful. - henryL
Thanks for sharing this picture with us, "Coopetal". It helped me to reactivate my samsung 8000 miles away from you in Germany. I love the internet !!!!

Kind regards

Hans
by Anonymous on Jan 2, 2006 at 1:52am Add comment
Glad to help, HenryL. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jan 2, 2006 at 4:26pm Add comment
We are having smudging problems with our Samsung CPL-500. It prints out fine, but smudges when the print is touched - even several hours later. If I have posted to the wrong thread, please advise. Thanks.
by ljones on Jan 10, 2006 at 10:25am Add comment
Likely the fuser, or a refill job with the wrong toner. Now, if the paper is thicker than 20lb. it will require running the printer in "thick paper" mode. It runs from the MP tray. Try that to see if it works. It slows the process a little, but see if it works. :-) PCRmike
by pcrmike on Jan 10, 2006 at 8:43pm Add comment
I have a CLP-550N and I am getting strangely faded prints. The first 1/4 to 1/2 is ok, the next 1 to 1 1/2 is faded and then the rest of the page is ok. Would this be transfer belt? Can I clean it or does it need to be replaced?

Second question, I bought some replacement toner from tonerrefillkits.com before I knew better. Is it worth trying to use up this toner or is the toner responsible for the above fading?

PCRMike - you listed $59.95 reman with core, I am assuming that means with the old cartridge, correct? Since I punched a hole in my cyan for the tonerrefillkits.com refill am I correct in assuming that the cart is worthless now? What would a reman cost without core, assuming you have one?

- Michael
by kingmt on Jan 11, 2006 at 10:36am Add comment
The fading decription should be:
The first 1/4 to 1/2 INCH is ok, the next 1 to 1 1/2 INCH is faded and then the rest of the page is ok...

- Michael
by kingmt on Jan 11, 2006 at 11:04am Add comment
$79.95 with no core, and I have a few. The drum is likely shot, not the belt. Just fixed one for a customer like this yesterday. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jan 11, 2006 at 7:07pm Add comment
Just to make sure we are on the same page, the drum would be the big green cylinder in the heart of the printer? What does a replacement drum run?

Is the same drum used across the CLP series? (500, 510, and 550)

I am wondering if it might be cheaper to aquire a CLP off eBay for spare parts, it would give me 4 spare carts at least....

- Michael
by kingmt on Jan 11, 2006 at 8:43pm Add comment
Actually, it probably would, as the low yield starters are doable as high yield. I do them all the time. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jan 13, 2006 at 12:47pm Add comment
Wow, I am so glad I found this forum (though I just bought the 510N)

Here are my questions (so far)

I am in the service industry and have quite a bit of experience with lasers. That being said, this does have a 2-year warranty on it and I would rather have it serviced properly by an experienced tech before I go monkeying with it.

I have had this printer for all of 2 days. I bought a COMPATIBLE (supposedly 100\% guaranteed compatible) 128mb SDRAM and when I try to print duplex anything I get wierd blocks (like data missing) and now I just got a "Internal Error MM 0313"

Perpaps this means Memory Module? I would like to find where I can buy/download the service manual for this printer (with my only need for the moment is looking stuff like this up until the warranty expires, then i'll (likely) work on it myself.

However, I must mention that when the printer showed up and I had taken it out of the box, I noticed toner and discoloration on the outside of the covers. Also toner on the inside cover (like the front) I figured it was from testing verification and that perhaps the box had been tipped at some point during transit. Well, upon further inspection the side of the box (same side with the discoloration on the outside had beel ALL TAPED UP and there was a huge rip in the cardboard almost from top to bottom (like it had been dropped or punctured) there is NO VISIBLE damage on the side of the printer however and the discoloration wiped off easily. Obviously the UPS guy was long gone (I did not install the printer till the next day anyways)

So I really dont know what this error message is telling me. Single sided prints seem to be doing fine. I'm going to try to remove the SDRAM and try again but I really wish I knew what this error message is telling me. (nothing in user manual) so I can take appropriate action.
by SLI_Fallen on Jan 15, 2006 at 6:42am Add comment
Lemme guess, bought it on ebay or something, right? Yes it sounds like a memory issue, but also this is a USED printer. Run a config sheet (menu, enter, enter.) and look at how many total pages it has printed. I would bet it was already used, had a problem and resold. I hope this is not the case. Were the toners in the machine when it shipped? :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jan 15, 2006 at 4:39pm Add comment
No, PCRMike, I guess I was not clear. I bought it from NewEgg. It's a brand new machine. I am only guessing there was some toner dust around the inside because since it was knocked/tipped on it's side some toner was knocked out of the developer area, or it's just from factory testing. I really dont know for sure, just reporting the symptoms I found. There were no cartridges in it. All were new in the plastic sleeves in the box.

Indeed, the memory is either bad, or incompatible because if I remove it, the printer works fine. (albeit slower) It's guaranteed 100\% compatible so I will try to RMA the SDRAM first for a replacement, well see.

In the meantime I understand from your replies (and others here)the starter cartridges are the same, just not filled all the way, and can be used as a core exchange (with your company) for a properly refilled one. And that you can "reset" the page usage chips accordingly for full use of the replacement cartridge?

I'm quite pleased with the machine otherwise however (so far). Yes the supplies are quite expensive, but to a degree they all are for color lasers in particular. And there is nothing else out there in the same price range, that is color, will duplex and has network connectivity out of the box, standard. My wife is using it the most as it is for her home based buisness and she is very happy with the P.Q. for her catalogs. She's happy, i'm happy, right? ;-)

by SLI_Fallen on Jan 16, 2006 at 2:30am Add comment
Good for you! I was afraid someone had sold you a bummer and was trying to cover it up. OK, yes, the memory is the issue, we can do the carts, and the toner is more likely from the waste bottle. Everything else sounds good. The memory is available from Samsung, and though I have not tried a different kind in one, I believe it has it's own signature or writing pattern on it. This may be where the issue lies. Good luck on it, and if you need anything, let me know. You can get real Samsung memory from 1-800-SAMSUNG, then SLOWLY dial 2-5-2. This gets you to the "geeks". I stock drums and t-belt units for these, but you don't have to buy the waste bottles. There is an awesome how-to by a gentleman here on the boards. I forgot the website, but I am sure he will jump in and bail me out of my forgetfulness! Also, my email is changed to "[email protected]" as I am having all kinds of problems with my old address. If anybody has tried and failed to contact me at the old address, I apologize. Use the new one and it will do fine. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jan 16, 2006 at 6:51am Add comment
can I use the black cartridge for the CLP-510 in a CLP-500? It's quite a bit cheaper at Fry's -- $69 instead of $99
by unknown on Jan 18, 2006 at 10:32am Add comment

You can buy generic memory, you just have to be carefull with the timings. I bought generic memory for my printer. The specs for the memory are 100pin PC100 SDRAM SODIMM. You can do a google search for the Samsung part numbers and you will find vendors that sell compatable modules. If I remember correctly I spent $32 for a 128MB module about 14 months ago. For axample the 128MB module can be found here for $20 (which I think is the place I bought mine from originally, I'll have to check): http://www.kahlon.com
They claim it is only compatible with the Samsung ML-1650, but the CLP-500/550 Users Manual specifies the same part number.

- Michael
by kingmt on Jan 18, 2006 at 10:50am Add comment
The 510 toner you saw is a low yield version, and will not work in the 500. Those of you with 510's, can get the low yield, and have them remanned as high yield! The 500 is it's own box. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jan 18, 2006 at 4:15pm Add comment
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question about the Samsung CLP-510. I have the chance to buy a NEW CLP-510 with complete warranty for $229.00 or a USED - Factory Refurbished - 90-day warranty CLP-510N for $259.00. Is a Factory Refurbished printer something to avoid? I like the Network option but can do without it.

Thanks
by jchism759 on Jan 31, 2006 at 5:05am Add comment
What sort of place sells a NEW 510 for $229? I would be leary of this, as the old adage "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." If it is an Ebayer, proceed with caution. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jan 31, 2006 at 6:18am Add comment
Thanks for the quick reply. I have ordered the printer. Is there a print server that will work with the 510? I would like to put it on my network.

The $229.00 is at www.outpost.com, it is the online store for Fry's electronics. Sale ends today, 1/31/06.

by jchism759 on Jan 31, 2006 at 6:44am Add comment
I have a clp-550 with a belt transfer unit error. I put a different transfer belt in and the error follows the belt. Can it be rebuilt, exchanged or trashed?
Anyone need a clp-550 without drum, transfer belt, and toners do have the waste container, send an offer.

thanks
by unknown on Feb 16, 2006 at 6:16pm Add comment
I have a the above printer and it has been working fine for sometime however I am getting smears in the color, not BW. These small are repetive in pattern. I have checked the drum and there seems to be nothing untoward. I have sent samples to samsung-tech, but no response. If any one has a possible way of searching the machine for the problem I would be appreciative,

thanx

Robert
by Robert Hood on Feb 19, 2006 at 1:47pm Add comment
1- Does the black toner for CPL-510 differ from any other samsung printer toner.

2- I found out that some online sites are selling replacements for the chip on cpl-510. I was wondering if these chips are the same for all 4 toners in the printer.

thanx
by hous on Feb 19, 2006 at 2:40pm Add comment
i checked on this and was told that the chips are different for each color. - Anonymous
Hous, no, the chip is not the same for all the colors, and yes the toner is actually quite a bit different from other Sammy toners. The refill kits do not offer a replacement mag roller, nor the seals, nor the correct way to do it. They are just a refill. You will likely have a cartridge failure (vertical void lines) before teh second cycle is out. :-( PCRMike
by pcrmike on Feb 19, 2006 at 5:13pm Add comment
The 500 and 510 would use the same toner ???? They surely would not be different except the carts have the chip. A different chip for each color? Gotta be kidding!

Trevor
by tsheffie on Feb 21, 2006 at 2:46am Add comment
It's not actually a different chip - the chip is a 24C04
EEPROM which holds 512 bytes of writable information. The
information is different for each color. Also, the boards
that carry the chip are slightly different for each color
because the printer uses only a single two-wire serial bus
to interface with all four cartridges - each cartridge is
wired to respond to a different physical address.

Why do I know all this ... because I have just spent some
time figuring it out.

I have written a small (and free) program which will let
you save and restore the 24C04 EEPROM content from a CLP-510
toner cartridge using a simple adapter with three wires to the
LPT port of a PC. Using this program, you can save the EEPROM
content when you have a low page count, then restore it later,
effectively resetting the page count to what it was when you
saved it - and you don't even need to take the cartridge
apart.

I've posted the program and more details at:

www.dunfield.com/clp510

Regards,
Dave

- Anonymous
PCmike -I am getting void lines on some colours. Checked cartridges and toner distribution on roller is patchy. I am guessing this is cartridge. I am in UK so probably too expensive to mail it over to you for a remaned cartridge. I am pretty useful at DIY , anyway you could advise on how to recon the cartridges. thanx
by unknown on Feb 21, 2006 at 9:17am Add comment
If it is "patchy" I would suspect it being out of toner. If it is streaks like lines, I would say likely the mag roller. I will see what I can do. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Feb 21, 2006 at 11:51am Add comment
The toner rollers have a 1" wide strip in the centre without toner on on my cyan and yellow. I tried cleaning them by inserting some card between the roller and body on each side. It sorts the problem for a maybe 10 - 15 sheets then the same problem remerges. I get missing colour in these places on the print outs. These cartridges are the ones the machine came with and don't even indicate low on toner yet. Is it a case of just taking the cartridge to pieces and cleaning it or are new parts needed. thanx nigeldav - unknown
I just bought the Samsung CLP-510 color laserjet yesterday. I hooked it up today and I suddenly received a "Waste Motor Error". When I called about it, I was told that this is a common problem and I would have to have a "Technician" come out to fix it.

I am kinda like - GIMME A BREAK! I just bought it yesterday!!!!!!

Has anyone heard of this 'error'? If so, is there any way around it other than contacting a technician?

Please help!

by unknown on Feb 24, 2006 at 5:32pm Add comment
I'm having problems with unfused toner. It could be the fuser. Does anyone know how I replace it?
thanx
by robdouglass on Mar 5, 2006 at 7:01am Add comment
Thanks for the info about the waste toner tank. Very useful.

I have read the above with some interest.

So am I right in surmising that refill jobs are not a good idea with the CLP500?
(just after I refilled my toner tanks 8-( )

If this is the case, can anyone recommend any one in the UK who remanufactures toner taknsk for the CLP500?

I am also concerned about the quality of the CLP 500, so is it a good printer or not?

Absolutely great forum by the way.

by Charlie_Croker on Mar 5, 2006 at 9:04am Add comment
G'Day Mate,

A very good printer in my opinion. I ran one for two years and could not fault the colour. My wife gets uptight if her graphics aren't spot on and (cept when I stuffed something) they always were. We did a lot of dual side printing - isn't that just brilliant. We tended to ignore the chage belt and change drum messages for quite a few thousand pages and never did see any problem. Freqently removed carts and gave them a little shake to get the last of the toner.

I sold it because the 510 came out and it was very cheap - cos i didn't know about the little beasty chips then in the carts and I don't think it prints as well as the 500 but it is quieter. We must have had the noisiest 500 made.

Hope you have good luck with yours.

Trevor - tsheffie
I have the same problem here but only with the blue (or is that cyan, i don't know what colour cyan is)
All my prints now have a 4cm big "lane" from top to bottom of the page where the colour blue is gone!! As i would like to print in colour, I'm asking anyone what this problem can be and more important, how can it be solved
by Anonymous on Mar 16, 2006 at 4:22am Add comment
my message was a reaction on the message of nigeldav (2/22/06 2:50 AM)
Sorry for the first post I make here if it's not clear for you
by Anonymous on Mar 16, 2006 at 4:25am Add comment
@Nigeldav
same problem here, did you try anything? It's a waste of the cartridge to replace it as it isn't ampty yet.
by Pduh on Mar 20, 2006 at 7:33pm Add comment
I am pleased to hear other people are also suffering from the "missing lane of toner". I have since come across another CLP500 with the same problem but on different colours to mine (it was been chucked out). The cartridges like mine ( and yours) were not empty at all. I have used the working cartridges in the spare CLP500 to get mine working so now have some empty cartriges and intend to strip these down. I am using the instructions at http://www.futuregraphicsllc.com/articles/05/howard_clp500_0205.pdf as a guide. I have two theories either their is a blockage preventing the cartridge developer roller ( the one you can see when you take the cartridge out) been fully covered with toner. Or there is a problem with the developer roller itself. The roller has some electrical/magnetic function although have not figured that out. There is company in the states developing replacement developer rollers for CLP500/550, last time I checked it was not to market. Worst case is clean/replace roller/refill and suspect that is still a lot cheaper than a replacement cartridge. - Anybody with any other experience - Nigel
by unknown on Mar 23, 2006 at 7:15am Add comment
I have had a similar problem with a CLP-510. So did a 3 colour print from MS Word Red, Blue, Yellow and pulled the cartridge associated with the faulty color. Pulled the cartridge apart as per howard_clp500 pdf found in previous message. Using contact cleaner from an electrical supply shop and kitchen paper towel material cleaned the developer roller carefully. No touching after cleaning.Put it all back together.During the process I noticed that the ink was not distributed in the cartridge so gave it some vibration treatment after putting it all back together and topped up the cartridge. Back in the machine and another test with a page of three colors and viola 3 perfect blocks of color. - Anonymous
Hello, could I ask if anyone else has had problems with the duplex function on the CLP-500?

I've had my printer from new (in April 2004) & have always used either 80gsm or 90gsm laser paper, but I've always noticed a mismatch between header & footer positions on the two sides of duplex printed sheets. It never really caused a major problem, however, so I just ignored it.

Unfortunately, in March 2005, the performance dropped off suddenly in both one-sided & duplex modes, with the position of the printed area varying wildly between pages (the footer was the most obvious guide & 'moved' by up to three inches between pages, including disappearing altogether on some pages). It seemed to be a problem with the paper pick-up, so I called the Samsung service number and, after a lot of hassle, finally got an engineer to come out. He arrived with a big box, gutted the printer, fitted the new part, and was on his way after about 30 mins - he reckoned it was a faulty clutch assembly & was a known fault with this model (hence the reason he came prepared!).

Everything was fine after that, until about two months ago when the same problem re-occured, and now of course the warranty has expired!

Has anybody come across this before, or an I just unlucky!

Kevin
by unknown on Mar 29, 2006 at 5:46am Add comment
Thanks everyone for the info stated here on how to clean the waste tank for the Samsung 500. That did the trick for me.
by unknown on Apr 6, 2006 at 12:30am Add comment
I have tried cleaning the plastic window with no luck. I even took one, cut off the window, duck-taped the hole and tried it. It still failed. My problem turned out to be something different.

Just above and to the right of the window (as shown in the picture) is a little tab that sticks out. This tab is meant to push a black plastic lever in the cavity in the printer where the window goes. This lever will uncover the receiver for the laser light that shoots through the window. This is to tell the printer that the cartridge is installed.

The tab on my cartridges do not push that lever. I have been able to see that the tab ends up going just above the lever. So, I need to do some surgery to make the cartridge work. I have to glue another tab to the cartridge directly below the original tab. This new tab should do the trick.

I will try to remember to post my results. If it works, I'll include a URL to a picture and instructions.

I'd love to know if anyone else has this problem.
by Anonymous on Apr 11, 2006 at 6:39am Add comment

hi, i just boguht the CLP 510 and i'm getting a memory overflow error with a freehand documnet of 26 kb...????? do i really need to buy extra memory for that????
by mar_mex on Apr 12, 2006 at 7:25am Add comment
Hello everyone,

what a great forum, I have found out so much since reading this, including how to get my printer working again after the waste toner tank fills up and obscures the photo-electric cell.

Perhaps someone can answer a few questions for me:

1. Does the CLP500 have a USB 2.0 interface or is it 1.0/1.1? I only ask because I have a Mac G4 with a USB1.1 interface and I wondered if buying a CPI USB 2.0 would speed up my workflow.

2. What difference would adding extra RAM to the printer make? I want to use the CLP for printing out a 50 page full colour newsletter,

3. With a 50 page newsletter comprising a mixture of mainly text with graphics/pictures, what kind of life would I get to a set of full (not starter) cartridges?

4. I have previously used a toner refill on the CLP and I was not impressed with either quality or the mileage I got from the refill. I plan to use re-manufactured carts next, is that wise?

5. I noticed that with the toner re-fill a huge amount of waste toner was created, is that normal?

Once again thanks to you all, forums like this are an amazing way to save money and keep up to speed with the game, so a big thank you to you all from sunny England.

Regards
by unknown on Apr 17, 2006 at 12:11pm Add comment
http://www.baldwinanalogcircuits.com manufactures a product to restart "reset" the Samsung CLP-510x and CLP-511 toner cartridges when the EEPROM inside them causes the printer to refuse to print even though there is plenty of toner still left in the cartridges.
by Scott Baldwin on Apr 17, 2006 at 7:21pm Add comment
Baldwin no longer sells the resetter. Does anyone have a recommended alternative?

Thank you. - Anonymous
No prob. As for the remanufactured toners in these, most companies do just refill them in a clean environment. We actually rebuild them with new DV roller, blade, etc. Our toners print brighter and more vivid too, as there are some on this thread have even told me without provocation. Actually, copier companies have been using waste bottles for years. Charlie, the toner you used was a low quality "toner pirate" toner if it made a lot of waste. Try a reman cartridge from where you can get it, if you are still not pleased, let me know and I can supply them for you, it will just take a little longer in shipping. They will outperform anybodys. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Apr 18, 2006 at 6:24pm Add comment
No prob. As for the remanufactured toners in these, most companies do just refill them in a clean environment. We actually rebuild them with new DV roller, blade, etc. Our toners print brighter and more vivid too, as there are some on this thread have even told me without provocation. Actually, copier companies have been using waste bottles for years. Charlie, the toner you used was a low quality "toner pirate" toner if it made a lot of waste. Try a reman cartridge from where you can get it, if you are still not pleased, let me know and I can supply them for you, it will just take a little longer in shipping. They will outperform anybodys. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Apr 18, 2006 at 6:24pm Add comment
Actually, I have just noticed a faint red tinge, right across very page I print, almost like what happens when you leave a red sock in with a white T-shirt and wash them together... It would appear printer started doing this before the cart change.

Anyone got any idea what could be wrong?

by unknown on Apr 20, 2006 at 2:37pm Add comment
Perhaps someone can help me:

I recently purchased new re-manufactured laser cartridges from Green-Tech. (UK).

TheMagenta one works fine but the yellow one gave an "INVALID NEW TONER YELLOW" message on LCD display and an orange On-Line/Continue button.

After consulting with Green-Tech, they told me that they were having a problem with the chips inside their recycled carts. After they provided a replacement (which also did not work) I went ahead and bought 4 genuine new Samsung cartridges.

Having installed them I find that I have a "Replace Cyan Toner" and "Replace "Black Toner" message on LCD, After a few seconds I also get the dreaded orange light and "INVALID NEW TONER YELLOW" message......

Can anyone help me with the message and error? (If I put the original Samsung cart in priner, the error message about the yellow toner goes away, but I still have the replace CYAN and BLACK TOner messages...

Right now I feel like throwing the whole lot in the river.
by Charlie_Croker on Apr 25, 2006 at 1:03pm Add comment
On that 24C04 smart chip for the toner cartridges --- I looked at the pin outs and Pin 7 of that chip is the Write Control. If it is tied to a high then the printer will not be able to write any data to the toner cartridge. Basically what I did was to get a soldering iron and lift pin 7 off the board and solder it to Pin 8 which is VCC. If you do this after the chip is reprogramed or when you first purchase the smart chip then it will say the the toner cartridge is always full no matter how much toner is in the cartridge. Of course then the only time that you will know you are out of ink is when you the printouts start to fade or streak. This shouldn't be done if the smart chip on the toner cartridge say to replace it unless you re-program the chip first. Refilling the toner cartridge is simple but remember these cartridge have plastic gears and they might not last thru to many refills before streaks start to appear on your printouts. I have had toner cartridges go bad only after a couple of uses.
By the way, Pin 8 is on the left, closest to you, as you look at the board sitting in the cartridge. Pin 7 would be the next one up. And the board needs to be removed from the cartridge in order to do this. You need a fine tip soldering iron and a saftey pin in order to lift pin 7 off the board. I hope this helps.
by unknown on Apr 25, 2006 at 5:15pm Add comment
Thanks for your help
This if that is badly printing, you can help with photos of the procedure that you indicate
thanks
Jose Rivera
Ecuador - Anonymous
It looks like it has been a while snce a new post went up, so I hope this site is still active. I bought this printer with the notion of putting out 2000 postcards per month from 500 sheets of postcard stock. Bought from TigerDirect in Aurora Illinois as a reconditioned unit. Of course, it worked great for the first few months, then... not so great. First, the postcard stock would not "flow" properly. Next, vertical streaks. Now a "waste toner error" message appears, so I'm shut down. (I just replaced all 4 cartridges). If anyone knows of a go-to person in the Naperville/Lisle area, I'd be grateful.
by unknown on May 10, 2006 at 9:50am Add comment
I wonder why printer makers have started to include smartchips on cartridges.. Is it just to prevent people from refilling the cartridges and make more money from official cartridges?
by Joku on May 21, 2006 at 4:31am Add comment
Has anyone had any success with the parallel port program for resetting the chip as offered on dunfield's website ? I have tried it on two notebooks and one desktop with no luck. The readme that comes along with the program seems to imply that it will only work with certain parallel ports
by Anonymous on May 22, 2006 at 4:07pm Add comment
I've just got an error message saying "Engine Fuser Low Heat Error". As ever the manual is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard in explaining what the problem is and how to overcome it, so before I venture into the black hole that is the Samsung service centre has anyone come across this error?

More to the point, has anyone actually figured out what the problem is and how to fix it?
by aghent on May 27, 2006 at 5:41am Add comment
I had the same problem. I looked at the fuser assembly, took it apart and could not find a problem, Then a tool slipped. Bye Bye roller.

I bought a new one and the problem was fixed.
by Len on May 27, 2006 at 9:28am Add comment
I have this error as well - Low Heat Error

What happened was some paper got jammed and burnt onto the roller. I managed to get most of it out but not all. When I put it back together i got the low heat error.

Did you get a new roller or a new fuser? And where can you get these parts? - Anonymous
I recently puchased a refill kit for my Samsung CLP 500 and when I istalled the black cartridge I got a message on the LCD screen that said "Install Black Toner". I called the company that sold me the kit and they said that I needed a reset fuse. They sent me the fuse but no instructions. Can anyone help me install this fuse?
by senjtrumbo on Jun 5, 2006 at 3:56pm Add comment
with the cartridge handle towards you, undo the 4 or 5 philips screws. prise open the right hand side of the cover that surrounds the shiny domed centre piece. You shoud be able to take the whole (side)cover off, but even if not you can almost certainly open enough to reveal the components connected to the three teminals. The one between the extreme terminals is the old (opencircuited now) fuse. solder in (or even wire wrap the new one. re4assemble etc.. Incidentally did you have to pay for the fuse and how much - did it have any markings on it? - Anonymous
I see the old fuse and it looks like it was soldered in. Do I have to burn the old one off in order to replace this thing? I am looking at the Black Toner Cartridge, right? the markings on the fuse say "CLP 500 Reset 07 2005" and the company who sold me the ink sent it to me for free after I bitched about the situation. These instructions would have been nice to have I purchased the replacement ink.
by senjtrumbo on Jun 8, 2006 at 3:01pm Add comment
Since the fuse is now open circuit you can leave it in place- or if it offends you just cut the wire at either end (better since too much heat from soldering iron can melt the plastic around the elecrical contact and make it unusable!
by Anonymous on Jun 9, 2006 at 5:17am Add comment
Hi,
I recently bought a new set of refurbished toner cartridges for my Samsung CLP-510. I've hardly used them at all, but now have an "Out of Toner" message for the Yellow.

Am thinking the printer's page counter has to be reset, but can't find how to do this. Read something about the toner cartridge "smartchip," but can't find anything about what it is exactly. So, my questions boil down to:

1) Is there a way to tell if a toner cartridge really is empty?

2) When a new refurbished cartridge is inserted, does the printer automatically sense the new cartridge and reset its counter to zero?

3) If not, how do I reset the counter so I'm sure to get full use of all the toner?

Thanks in advance,
Richard
by Richardthesecond on Jun 9, 2006 at 10:05am Add comment
Replaced the fuse but the same error shows up. This printer is looking better and better in the dumpster. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions on a new laser printer?
by senjtrumbo on Jun 12, 2006 at 9:45am Add comment
Does anyone have an idea how to fix "Engine Fuser Low Heat Error". I got a spare CLP-500 which I can take the parts out for replacement. Any suggestion what to do.
by unknown on Jun 13, 2006 at 10:11pm Add comment
I would like to thank all of you that have posted such great ideas, comments, and shared your knowledge. This is a great site and I will be back for more info (and hope to share my experiences and knowledge in the future).
For now I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the advantage might be for adding memory to my printer. Currently it has the default 64MBytes that came installed out of the box.. Does adding memory really benefit me? Does the printer print faster, or with better graphics, or support other features I currently don't even know about? Why add more memory is the basic question?
thanks...
by absrsm on Jun 26, 2006 at 3:48pm Add comment

I am experiencing some error messages on my clp-500 that I cant fathom, they are

" transfer belt error" and "lever unlocking error"

Ive removed and reinstalled the transfer belt assembly but to no avail.Anyone out there have any heplful suggestions to solve this issue?

Cheers
by Paulh on Jun 27, 2006 at 4:28pm Add comment
I am not a smarta$$ by asking this, but the green and purple levers at the front and rear of the machine where the t-belt goes in are moved all the way to the "locked" position, correct? :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jun 27, 2006 at 9:08pm Add comment
After four attempts at removing and reinstalling the transfer belt the problem has disappeared as quickly as it appeared, however a new message has appeared

"Waste motor error"

this sounds serious, is there anything I can do to avoid calling out a costly technician? - Anonymous
Is the machine out of warranty? It happens like that sometimes when the machine is run with the waste bottle out of it for a while, it clogs up the waste port. Where are you, and I will try to get some help your way (no, not the expensive kind). :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jun 28, 2006 at 12:01pm Add comment
Does anybody know of a repair for "waste motor error" that does not involve a technician visit? I am happy to rip the machine apart myself, as I have done many times for things melted to the rollers, but I need step-by-step instruction if it is available. Thanks in advance!
by unknown on Jun 29, 2006 at 8:04am Add comment
I got it to work by lifting the machine and dropping it several times. I hear a repetative motor cycling when it prints which I didn't notice before. Still, I am interested in a more civilized fix if anybody has one. - unknown
You may have dislodged the waste toner in the auger system (a good thing). I was going to suggest a replacement of the waste auger if it was under warranty, but if not, a cleaning is just as good. The only other thing would be to replace or disassemble the waste system which is neither easy nor clean, but is can be done. The help I was talking about was to email you a manual for it. Be warned it is not nearly as easy as for the fuser unit you have to get "melted things" out of. BTW--If you want to stop removing "melted things" on full page prints, lie to the computer and in the properties, tell it to print on thick paper, and it will stop the jamming. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jun 30, 2006 at 10:47am Add comment
I never receive any notices that you responded to my post. My machine is now having the same problem, and dropping it does not seem to fix it this time. If you are still offiering the manual to do the disassemble, please send it to my e-mail, [email protected] Thanks - unknown

Open the rectangular "door" above paper loader, by pressing the round indents on either side of the "door".

The toner tank is what you see on top; take it out by pressing down the center button;

clean the inside of the small rectangular area just below the left open cirle. The testing laser beam will think the tank is full if it is dirty;

this is useful if the tank is not that full but getting to full;

if it is full, then order part number CLP-500WB with ICOP (this is the name i heard - samsung distributor) - PH: 888-440-4567

good luck
by unknown on Jul 12, 2006 at 11:45am Add comment
That is James at IKOP. I deal with him and he is awesome. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Jul 15, 2006 at 2:50pm Add comment
I am getting repeat paper jams in the CLP-500. It seems the paper jams as it hits a small black rubber roller about 1/2 -2/3 of the way up the right side inside the right access door. The roller looks fine, and wiping it with a finger and rotating it occasionally seems to clear the problem for a time, but it returns. Is this a known issue? Is there a better solution?
Scott
by N2WMD on Jul 24, 2006 at 1:52pm Add comment
I actually have a XEROX 6100 badge on my Samsung CPL-500. I am assured it is exactly the same printer. I have 4 of these printers at the two schools where I work. 3 are working well!

First though, this is a wonderful forum and I wish I'd found it sooner!

My problem is that I am getting a red paper jam at C light after 1 page goes through. There is clearly no paper jam and I have tried to clean anything that looks as though it might be an optical sensor. The printer resets itself but after the first page comes through, the red light glows and the printer stops.
I had my usual service company look at it and they said it was beyond them!!
I called XEROX and they want £330 for a visit.
The printer with extra paper tray and network card only cost £400 new. Xerox suggested I should have taken out a maintenance contract at a cost of about £300 per year!!

I suspect I might need a new electronic component board. Can anyone guide me please?

David S. - davisfstevens
I just refilled the toner cartridges in my CLP 500.

Now, the printer will print all colors except black. There are no error messages, but there is no black printing.

Are there any ideas about why this is happening or how to correct it?

Thanks,
by Bill Hulsey on Jul 31, 2006 at 4:07pm Add comment
Thank you so much for posting that picture on that site!!!I;ve been battling forever and if it had not been for this picture I would still have been battling!!
by Anonymous on Aug 1, 2006 at 11:05am Add comment
I have a samsung clp-510 series. When the paper comes out of the machine it is upside down so the little rollers roll in the ink. How do i get this fixed. Also i can't find a manual for this series anywhere.

Thanks tiffany

by unknown on Aug 2, 2006 at 10:57am Add comment
I analized the CLP-510 RESET CHIP and I found the way to RESET it. First you need a programmer, I used the classic JDM but you can used whatever you want. The important thing is that you must erase (set to FF) some part of the memory map of IC 24C04. This part goes from address 0x0038 to 0x00B8. I used this method with my CLP-510 Toners and it works perfectly.
by unknown on Aug 3, 2006 at 12:02am Add comment
I just connected IC24C04 chip write control pin to Vcc pin. Now writing operations to chip are disabled and chip stays 'new'.

This modification is easily done: Just take off cartridges cover (4x screw) and pull off the chip pwb. there is one 8-pin chip on board. Connect pins 7 & 8 on that chip and you're done. There is capasitor with markings '10 16V' next to chip. Pins 7 & 8 are on that side of chip, two closest to capasitor's white stripe.

Now priter still counts when you print but can't save new count to cartridge's chip. When you switch off the printer and turn it back on the old count is read and there is no change on toner image count. So printer thinks cartridge is still 'new' :)
by Anonymous on Aug 4, 2006 at 5:42am Add comment
This can also be done for the transfer belt. The same smart chip is on the tranfer belt and can be by-passed the same way. By connecting pin 7 (write control) to pin 8 (VCC). - Anonymous
I see a post is talking about connection of the 7&8 pins and other post about LIFTING pin 7 and then connect it to 8. What should I do? Do I really need to lift pin 7 so it wouldn't touch the board anymore or it is sufficient to just connect them togheter as they are?
Thanks in anticipation!
Dan - Anonymous
Can anyone send me clean (or working without errors) dumps of the 24c04 IC (ink, transfer belt, etc...)

my email is [email protected]

Thanks
by unknown on Aug 25, 2006 at 5:23pm Add comment
Yes, please, me too, specially for the transferbelt.
Does anyone know how to connect the transferbelt to the program of www.dunfield.com/clp510

tanks
paul - Anonymous
Hello, I purchased an original Samsung b/w toner cartridge to replace a supposedly empty one. After inserting it and turning the printer on, it goes into an endless loop of "install [color] messages, even for the three cartridges I never touched. I tried various forms of reset such as reinserting the imaging unit, opening and closing all kinds of doors, etc. I am positive that all parts are sitting properly in their place. But by now I have run out of ideas on how to get out of this loop. Needless to say that the printer is unusable at this point - the diagnostic software even claims that the printer is not connected. Cheers, Jochen
by unknown on Aug 30, 2006 at 6:48am Add comment
I have seen tonerrefillkits.com advertising a chip resetter for the 510's allowing you to reset ratrher than replace the chip and also continue to use the toner that is left in.

tonerrefillkits.com advertises the reset kit , but if you try to buy it without buying toner powder from them, they will call you back and refuse to sell it to you.

Anybody know who else sells these?

Thanks
by Anonymous on Sep 1, 2006 at 10:50am Add comment
you can contat me for a chip resetter for this samsung and other printers as well - Anonymous
I have a Samsung 510 about 1 year old. I've replaced the black cartridge recently but now I am getting streaks of no or smeared color on the sides of full color pages. I am hopeing I just need to change my color cartridges (yellow & magenta lights just came on). But do you think this could be a drum or transfer belt issue?
by unknown on Sep 5, 2006 at 6:19am Add comment
Wow, this thread got lively all the sudden! Newperson, if you take the cartridges out, you will likely see areas on the developer roller (toner roller) that are very thinly covered, or may look "streaky". If so, they are the issue.

Outreach, you can order the bottle online under item # CLP500WB from many sources, but you can clean that bottle out quite well by emptying the waste into a trash bag, then washing the bottle out well with dishsoap and warm water. There is a little "notch" on the back of the bottle that fits into a "black slot" on the printer which is actually a sensor. That "notch" is a window, and it must be clean inside and out for the sensor to know it is a fresh bottle. Do not allow the printer to run with the bottle out or it will cause a waste motor error and a costly repair. A bent cotton swab (Q tip) is a good tool for doing that and saving about 20 bucks on a new bottle.

Good tip on the resets for the IU and T-belt, but you miss the point that these are not going to go for two cycles reliably and if one or the other does fail, it can cause you some real problems. Things like the t-belt tearing can cause issues with the fuser, transfer roller, toner leakage, etc. I would recommend replacing those. You may get lucky you may not. Weigh the risk/reward value and do what you will.

As for the toners, the refill kits are OK, but for the keeping of top image quality, the cartridges should be remanufactured. There is a difference. The refills, where you melt or drill & fill does not take into consideration the wear of the DV roller, compatibility of the toner with the OEM, and no real warranty. I remanufacture for a number of folks here with new components, OEM-matched toner, reset chips, and a full warranty. There is a big difference in the yield, but the price isn't too bad. $79.95

I have also tried several times to send several of you parts from the service manual, but it seems to be too big for most email boxes, so if someone has a posting site, I would be happy to send it there for others to get. Happy printing! :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Sep 6, 2006 at 8:29am Add comment
Mike, after reading all about the the various problems on the Samsung CLP-510, what color laser or color inkjet would you suggest?
- jakeconnor
pcrmike,

Is there a way to reset the transferbelt?
Because it is cheaper to buy a new printer (with toner in it) than to buy a transfer belt, I've now already 4 printers with 12500 color prints on the counter, blocked by the smart chip of the transfer belt. Good working printers, up to the last print. Now they are waste???

So, how to reset the transfer belt???? - Anonymous
I bought refilled toner cartidges (all four CMY + K) and when I put them into printer I received the "INVALID TONER CYAN" and then the same for "YELLOW" and "MAGENTA". But the black toner seemed to be fine. Please help me! My printer is CLP-550 and refilled cartidges were in printer when I bought it.
by Ratomir on Sep 7, 2006 at 3:09pm Add comment
I have a 'engine fuser low heat error'. The fuser has been replaced once under warranty - presumably because I was using remanufactured cartridges.

Can anyone help me?
Is this a 'valid' message or is there some hidden override.
If I need a new fuser - what is the cost and where can I get one reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance.

by unknown on Sep 11, 2006 at 9:05am Add comment
You need to buy new fuser, I don't know, it costs app. 100 € (visit Samsung web-page for detailed informations). But why don't you try to reset fuser like CLP-510 in messages above. CLP-510 and 500 are similar. - Anonymous
Dave, after reading all about the the various problems on the Samsung CLP-510, what color laser or color inkjet would you suggest?

by jakeconnor on Sep 14, 2006 at 10:23am Add comment
My CLP-500 print-outs have faded color but just on the right side of the pages (reminder of the page prints fine.) I've refilled the toner and cleaned inside the printer. Don't know what else to do to fix the quality. Any ideas?
by unknown on Sep 26, 2006 at 12:37pm Add comment
USED PRINTER FOR 1ST TIME.
PRINTED OUT 400 PAGES FOR FLYERS...
THEN "EMPTY YELLOW TONER" & "EMPTY MAGENTA TONER" MESSAGE.
CANT PRINT NOWT UNTIL RENEWED..NOT EVEN LETTERS...
£80 A TONER THATS AN EFFIN JOKE...
£160 FOR 400 PAGES...WTF...

SAMSUNG CAN STICK THEIR LASER UP THEIR ARSEL (ANAGRAM)
by unknown on Sep 28, 2006 at 5:40pm Add comment
OK OK... I did the RESET on Roller & Imaging Unit.
I still need to find out the way to reset Transfer Belt.

One question that comes to mind. How does the printer count the "Total Image Count".

My total count is 47576 as listed on the CONFIGURATION PAGE. Now I'm assuming that is total number of pages that actually went thru the Fuser or Drum.

BUT... MY TOTAL FOR TRAY ROLLER IS ONLY 16313 (5573 MP TRAY/ 10740 Tray 1)

How the heck does the total image count is 47576 when the total number of pages went thru the trays are only 16313.
by unknown on Sep 29, 2006 at 9:31am Add comment
Can someone tell me if it is possible to use t-shirt transfers in this machine.. We have a tektronix color laser and the transfer paper works fine in that.. but i tried one in this samsung clp-510
and the transer paper wrapped around the fuser. Not sure if i need to pick another setting or what..
any help would be appreciated.

Lisa :)
by theccinc on Sep 29, 2006 at 11:20am Add comment
The low yield Toners estimate 2000 pages for colour.
Can someone confirm if that is 2000 actual pages or 500 x 4 per Toner = 2000??

My toner image count is 556 per Toner..

I have actually printed 556 A4 colour Pages..
so does this mean I have had my 2000 pages??
Im getting Empty toner message on Cyan & Yellow..

I read it as you will get approx 2000 A4 pages PER TONER, obviously dependent on \% of colour..
so my Printout is WAY WAY OFF THE MARK

PLEASE SOMEONE CLARIFY..

THANX

by unknown on Sep 29, 2006 at 12:59pm Add comment
I have a CLP 510n. It has worked fine for over a year now. It recently started to leave spots towards the left hand side of the page. The text immediately around the spots or clump of spots is noticeable lighter in color. These spots are only black in color. They even appear when printing a blank page. Has anyone seen this before?
by jeffsu28 on Oct 1, 2006 at 3:39pm Add comment
Ratomir--the cartridges that are saying invalid are for a 500, and started out as low-yield. The "chip" is the wrong type. I make all these to be HY by changing the resistor on the chip.

xtreme571--the total images is per color used, as in if you make a full color sheet, it is 4 images, (B,C,M,Y).

Tony Doyle--Those are starter cartridges, and the replacements are good for 5K+.

Tony Elyod--Exactly, the starters are ESTIMATED to be good for 2K at 5\% each. The replacements are much longer lasting and actually get the real yield (at least ours do). Not to mention, HP is even worse about the chips. They designed the kill chip theory. I and many other rechargers agree it should be disallowed, and there is currently litigation underway by colleagues of mine to bring about a change in this practice. We have ways to get around it by resetting the chips. Here in the States, I reman these with fresh chips, so they are treated like new ones by the printer. I feel ya, man. I feel ya.

Jeffsu58--Your issue is a likely toner cart issue. Slide the black toner out and see if there is any obvious debris of toner on the face of the roller toward the same end you are seeing tha anomaly on. Otherwise it may be a transfer belt going bad.

Any other questions? :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 2, 2006 at 12:26pm Add comment
Thanx for reply..
The starters should give 2k approx as advertised, but I only got 500 !!!
I,ve got an engineer coming out 2moro..I,ll try to BLAG a couple of carts...

Can any of you NICE YANKY DOODS from across the pond...help a SCOUSER (from Liverpool/Beatle City)with a RESETTER device??

I AM DESPERATE to say the least..Will pay you for your time etc..

- unknown
The menu thing WORKS just "train" youself a bit in doing it.. you have to be pretty fast otherwise the printer gets out from that mode.
On the other hand I just bought this new 510 and I still can return it but if the reseting of the ink succeeds I'm thinking to keep it cuz I like it.So, can anyone tell me if the join on pin 7 & 8 it really works? I don't want to see big flames and I don't want to phisically modify the printer... I would just solder a thin wire... anyone can give me a positive answer? I would also try the Paralel port thing, I already bought the LPT cable for that. Is that really working?
by Anonymous on Oct 3, 2006 at 12:51pm Add comment
SAMSUNG ENGINEER LOOKED @ MACHINE
HE WASNT EVEN AWARE THEY HAD CHIPS ON THE 510 ???
SAID I HAD FAULTY MOBO ON PRINTER
CHANGED MOBO & CONFIRMED THIS WOULD WORK..IT DIDNT..DOH !!
I KNEW MORE ABOUT THE MACHINE THAN HE DID...
RANG HEAD OFFICE..SAMSUNG ARE AWARE OF BATCH OF FAULTY TONER CART CHIPS LOCKING OUT...
HE ORDERED FULL SET OF TONERS FOR ME...AT LAST..
ME HAPPY BUNNY NOW...
UNTIL THEY LOCK AGAIN
by unknown on Oct 4, 2006 at 2:30am Add comment
Tony, I heard of the "bad batch" of chips, but always thought it was a cop out. Maybe it is so after all? Good catch. BTW--I have NEVER seen a MOBO go out on these, it has always been the chips or the contacts in the machine for the chips. I have seen them come up "invalid" and remove and reinsert and good to go, but that was wild. Congrats on the result though. Need a resetter? Email me. [email protected] I will see if I can hook ya up. :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 4, 2006 at 2:50pm Add comment
Stupid computer! (blushing) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 4, 2006 at 2:53pm Add comment
I used the posted program to reset the toner and it works GREAT !!! I've seen a mention about the fact that trasnfer belt might have the same chip. Question:
1) after how many pages I get a transfer belt error?
2) It's going to be a warning or it will be an error that will prevent me from printing?
3) Where is the chip located? Is it easy to back it up now while is working? The price of a new one is 164 but I've paid 299 for the whole printer - toner included - so I don't think I will ever buy a transfer belt but rather prolong the life of this one. Can anyone at least share the memory dump of that chip?
Thanks in anticipation!
Dan

P.S. I will be more than glad to send my toner files if anyone needs them(10/10/10/15 pages for CYMK toner) or to explain how this can be done if you have problems.
by dmincu on Oct 4, 2006 at 10:56pm Add comment
The menu-thing works (you have to be fast..)
The toner reset with the parallel port thing programm works, but don't use the zero mode, just copy a lower number to the chip
the pin 7 & 8 thing did not work. I lifted pin 7 and connected that to pin 8 and the beld didn't work anymore at all. I think the chip was overheated (?)
So, I'm still interested in a way to reset the transferbelt.
paul
by Anonymous on Oct 5, 2006 at 5:45am Add comment
SEE WHAT A FEW THREATENING EMAILS CAN DO...LOL
NEWS FLASH...
Prices of printer cartridges look set to drop thanks to a new EU law that will ban printer firms from forcing consumers to buy their own-brand refills.
The European Parliament voted unanimously on Wednesday in favour of a new EU "electroscrap" recycling law, which includes a ruling directing manufacturers of printers to no longer incorporate chips into their own-brand ink refill cartridges
by unknown on Oct 5, 2006 at 4:14pm Add comment
Hi guys,

Ok. I've spent the best part of this afternoon putting together the bits and bobs require to use Dave's toner reset program.

Now, an electronics/electrical expert I am not ( I have a nasty burn on my finger from the soldering iron to prove this!), but I'm always willing to give something a go.

I believe I successfully put together the parallel cable, much like the one in Dave's pictures.

Booted to the command propmt from an old WIn98 CD and stuck in another CD with SSEBR.

Ran the program, but all I get is "device not responsing".

I don't have a multimeter to test the connections, all I can tell you is that when I hold the three contacts together, "16" and "17" light up on Dave's debug program.

I reckon my toners are pretty much full, so I'd really like to get this to work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
by squiggs1982 on Oct 7, 2006 at 10:27am Add comment
Alternatively, does anyone know how to get a hold of one of the circuits like the one being advertised at tonerrefillkits.com, that you hold against the contacts for 4 seconds?

I've also seen a couple of sites in Australia advertise them, but they won't ship without the toner too.

By the time you've added the variety of import duties/taxes, this doesn't really make it worthwhile.

Thanks.,
Adrian
by squiggs1982 on Oct 9, 2006 at 10:26am Add comment
This is actually about a Samsung CLP550. I have just replaced the fuser due to poor print quality and want to reset the counter. Any ideas?
by lftrev on Oct 10, 2006 at 8:41am Add comment
My B&W laser needs a new drum. I want color. CPL-510's are on sale for $199. Leading to the question: Should I?

It's been 15mo since this thread began and I'm wondering about people's long-term thoughts on this unit.

I used to work on software and firmware for PS lasers. I'm comfortable working on serviceable devices, however I'm uncertain as to the durability and construction of these things. Time being short, what are your thoughts? Would you buy another?

Thanks!
by unknown on Oct 15, 2006 at 1:31am Add comment
CAN ANYONE SOURCE A CHIP RESETTER FOR THE SAMSUNG CLP 510 FOR ME..

IM DESPERATE

CHEERZ
by unknown on Oct 16, 2006 at 5:33am Add comment
What happenned to the new chip source I gave you? Will he not sell? :-( PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 16, 2006 at 8:26am Add comment
pcrmike,

the following shows on his website:

"Due to an emergency illness in our family, I will no longer be able produce and market "Toner Restarter for Samsung CLP-510x", and "Toner Restarter Xerox Phaser 6100".

We apologize for any inconvenience our family medical situation has caused. For those of you who own a Toner Restarter, we will make an effort to answer support questions."

Thanks,
squiggs
by squiggs1982 on Oct 16, 2006 at 10:14am Add comment
Having replaced all the toners, the image drum and the transfer belt on my <1 year old CLP500 it is still producing very faint prints. Black is sometimes acceptable but colours are very poor. No changes to paper/printer settings make any difference. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong before I bin the useless piece of cr*p?

Thanks.
by Anonymous on Oct 17, 2006 at 4:21am Add comment
Tony and Squiggs, I apologize, I was unaware. I will try to source another UK location for you.

The faint print is likely caused by the t-roller or t-belt. Scan and email me an image of the print, and I will post your solution.

As for the low-heat error, there is a thermistor in the fuser that likely has some paper still stuck under it. I have a good fuser if you are in the US. Email me [email protected] and I will send it out. It is in a new machine that was box damaged. I keep a lot of parts for users across the country. A lot of demand for these goodies. Also, Moe, did you update my email in my profile? See the old "bscn" addy, it needs to be "gmail" now. :-)PCRmike
by pcrmike on Oct 18, 2006 at 7:43am Add comment
I would if I could, but our webmaster took away my editing powers. The only thing I'm allowed to do is disappear offending posts.
by moe on Oct 18, 2006 at 2:30pm Add comment
@pcrmike: no need to apologise mate. You would make a fortune if you charged us all for the advice you give here!

Wondering if you can help further, however.

I purchased a toner refill kit from hottoner.com.au.

Fantastic service and great communication. Really pleased with the service.

They actually sent one of the reset devices along with the toner from Baldwin Analogue Circuits, so they must have a stock.

Now, it worked perfectly and the printer thinks I have new toners.

But (and it's a big but!), I haven't actually refilled the toners. They still have the original powder inside, but when I started printing again, I get a black line vertically from one end of the page to the other.

The best way I can describe it is like someone has run a light pencil down the page.

At first it was very wavy and erratic, but now it's pretty well straight.

If you print out a black page, you get a similar line but in white.

I'm ready to cry! I've had such a crappy time with my printers lately (my Magicolor 2300 finally died completely, despite a successful fuser replacement courtesy of Minolta).

I have looked at the transfer belt and the OPC drum and they both look perfect. I don't understand. Could I have damaged something an just can't see it?

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.
by squiggs1982 on Oct 19, 2006 at 1:23pm Add comment
You have discovered the laser shutter, and it is a very rare thing for someone to find it on theier own. My hat is doffed to you sir. There is a brush that sweeps across the laser glass on that piece. Look to see if one of the bristles is gone awry from it's place. That drove me nuts the first (and only) time I encountered that, but you will likely find that is the case. :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 23, 2006 at 9:27am Add comment
Haha! Thanks Mike!

It still seems to reappear from time to time, but I seem to be able to get rid of it. Very nnoying, however!

Cheers,
Adrian - Anonymous
I just picked one up for a great deal (new from Staples). Anyways, my question is this:

My girlfriend prints a great deal of "note cards", as she's in medical school. They are black and white text only and usually take up less than half of the 4x6 card. I'm sure the printer will count each as 1 page, correct? Even though it is really 1/4 of a page and only half full of text! If there were no chip, this wouldn't worry me, but with the counter, it makes me think that I will have a toner cartridge 1/2-3/4 full and a chip that says it isn't!

Ok, here's the question this time.. LOL:

How can I reset the toner chip, without access to an LPT port? I only have a laptop, and there's no LPT on it.

If not, should I just sell the printer on eBay for a profit, then? I really wanted a color laser and my current printer is on the fritz anyway.

-Justin
by jawatkin on Oct 25, 2006 at 6:55am Add comment
Is it a 500 or 510? The 500 has no chip, and can be told to continue on anyway. If it is a 510, I can still help you out. :-)PCRmike
by pcrmike on Oct 25, 2006 at 8:00am Add comment
Sorry, mike... It's a 510. E-mail me and let me know, it's sitting in my living room. Also, could you e-mail how much you would charge for a reman'd ML-1710 cartridge (my core is messed up, don't ask!). Thanks!
by jawatkin on Oct 25, 2006 at 8:13am Add comment
Hi, my samsung CLP-510 toner is printing pages that are very light - hardly able to see anything. The problem continues even with new toner cartridge. Any ideas how to diagonise the problem? Called the Samsung tech support. They are useless bunch of folks. They want me to MAIL them the faded page by letter mail! When the mail reaches them, they will look at the page and be able to tell me what the problem is!
by ssingh2 on Oct 25, 2006 at 11:21am Add comment
jwatkin: My email is [email protected] so just email me.

ssingh2, it could be paper, but I am leaning toward something like the t-belt, or t-roller. If you can scan it and email it to me, I will respond quickly. :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 25, 2006 at 2:48pm Add comment
The attachment is too big, but I will send just that section. Funny, but I don't ever get any notices either. My old email has not apparently been changed on the site, and my new one does not notify me. Hmm. I will forward the attachment for that part of the manual, and if you need to contact me, my email is [email protected] :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Oct 30, 2006 at 11:45am Add comment
Hi everyone. I bought one, but it has a big issue. (And it seemed like an early Christmas!)

This was the last unit available in my area or I'd get an exchange. It had been the display model for some time. It wasn't plugged in, but had been at some point with all the consumables installed. The print counters showed from 20-50 pages, depending on which counter was queried.

Every page that comes out has identical weak areas. About 40\% of the image is good, the rest is afflicted with a sequence of weak bands, as if the drum bag had been opened and left facing the window or something. It happens with all colors. This is a rough approximation (view w/monospace font):

----------------
|..|....|..|...|
|.......|..|...|
|..........|...|
|..............|
----------------

There's one section about 1.5 inches long (wide?) that is good. The rest has this pattern between 25 and 60\% across. Each defect starts wide at the edge and tapers to a good image toward the other side. Each band looks slightly different with non-uniform spacing but their placement is identical from page to page.

I pulled the belt and drum to see if anything was obvious and noticed whoever had assembled it had left the shipping clips on the belt. Don't know if that would damage the unit during use but you can see the plastic was stressed a bit. The belt had a big, juicy thumbprint in the middle. Didn't see anything bad on the drum. I manually rotated both the drum and belt to see if the problem moved on the page but this had no effect. Either the problem lies elsewhere or the printer synchronizes them between pages.

Thoughts?
by fused on Nov 3, 2006 at 3:20am Add comment
Tell ya what. I can email you a test sheet for these that will allow me to dignose the problem. Email me at [email protected] and I will reply it to you with the sheet as an attachement. Print this attachment and either scan it in and send it to me or mail it, and I will diagnose it for you. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Nov 6, 2006 at 7:13am Add comment
Hi,

New here and am after a little help please!!

I have a second user CLP500 which was working ok but the magenta cart was nigh on empty. I bought some refill inks off ebay (user with a 5000+ rating) and have refilled the magenta and yellow - I now get vertical lines on all prints in magenta (and occasionally yellow).

These are faded lines not dark and not the same on every print (although pretty close).

The toner is not leaking and i didnt have to burn out a hole in the plastics.

I have replaced the resistor.

Any ideas what is causing the vertical lines please?

Thanks in advance,
Andy.
by andyw on Nov 11, 2006 at 10:41am Add comment
Unfortunately, the developer rollers are worn out on the cartridges. This is one reason why I recommend against "refilling". It is one thing with a simple toner hopper, but a mechanism with the develpment unit on it as well is a different story. You need either new or true REMANUFACTURED cartridges. If you have a good source for the new ones, great, or I can ship you some in the US. :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Nov 13, 2006 at 9:56am Add comment
Oh - not good :-(

Thanks for the offer, but I am in the UK!!

Can you recommend a good reputable dealer in the UK for new/remanufactured carts?

Cheers again,
Andy. - andyw
Some people are noting a page count on their CLP-510 printers.
I have not been able to find anyplace this information is available.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
by unknown on Nov 14, 2006 at 11:21pm Add comment
Tom T, press "menu, enter, enter" and it will print out a config page. You can see the "toner counts" or "toner life" or whatever it is called and that gives you the toner info. :-)

I have the reset info on my laptop. I can reset any Sammy cart out there. The problem is, no way to sell a device. I have heard that tonerrefillkits has them, but I am suspect of quality there. :-) PCRMike

BTW! Yes the chips are different on the 510 for each color. Why am I not allowed to reply on this thread? I have no option to reply on this thread. >:-( PCRMike
by pcrmike on Nov 17, 2006 at 1:09pm Add comment
Hello,

Which hardware to use with JDM to read-write the 24C04 ?
i.e. from where should I buy the JDM device ?

The parallel port ssebr.exe did not work. My parallel port voltage
went upto 4.44 in Tecra and 4.42 in HP pavillion. Any new information on this ?

Thanks
Aftab.
by unknown on Nov 19, 2006 at 1:04am Add comment
I presume you mean the exit. It is showing a jam where the paper comes out? This is usually caused by a minor flaw in the fuser. Call tech support and ask them to RMA you a new fuser. This has fixed both of the situations I have run onto with this problem. :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 11, 2006 at 3:19pm Add comment
It is a fuser issue as the fuser has a paper path sensor on it. You are meaning the jam is showing where the paper comes out, yes? If so, call Xerox or Samsung and ask them to send you a new fuser. :-)PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 11, 2006 at 3:23pm Add comment
Hi
The probleb with your printer is not the printer, it is caused by your toner cartridge. The problem lies on the mag sleeve.
The PCR ( pre charged roller ) is durable for about 5 or more refils. You can buy the wiper blades, drum, toner. But the Mag sleeve is no where to be found. If you can replace the mag sleeve, then your print poroblem will be solved. but until then you only have 1 refil or if your lucky 2.
Then you'll have to buy a new toner cartridge.
Rommel
by rommel_v on Aug 27, 2007 at 10:21am Add comment
I have a 510 I bought refill for mine. At about 50 for all. Comes with a replacement chip and watched u tube on how
by Elad3124 on Mar 28, 2016 at 8:03am Add comment
Well, Anonymous, I have only got a couple of options. If you like, you may email me with a scanned copy of what the print looks like, or I have to assume it to be in the rotational area somewhere, such as a backed-up cleaning unit on the t-belt or something. See if you can email a scan. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Dec 13, 2005 at 5:06am Add comment