jursik

asked Feb 13, 2008 at 4:50am
Canon Canon Pixma MP520

Reset Canon MP520?

How to reset ink level for Canon MP520?
please if u know how u reset ink level for mp520 ... please give me a e`mail !!!!
by LevY on Mar 14, 2008 at 5:33am Add comment

First look at this photo:

http://mail.dir.bg/~bil/Canon_Pixma_MP520_Buttons_03.gif

(red colored numbers 1...4 added by me)

I refill cartridges for inkjet printers for about 12 years (since 1996).

One of my customers found this procedure for resetting the Canon Pixma MP520
by experimenting with different button combinations.

(by his words long (10-15 sec.) pressing of just one (any) button doesn't work -
for many Canon Pixma models pressing the PaperEject, Cancel or OK button for 10 sec.
resets the ink level or ignores it)

Procedure:

a) Switch the printer OFF

b) Press buttons 1 + 2 + 3 and 4 (simultaneously using four fingers)

c) Keep pressing this four buttons for 10 seconds

d) Release the On/Off button (number 4) (Keeping pressing the others)

e) After a few seconds (when the printer go ON) you can release buttons 1, 2, 3

Notes:

1. Maybe step "c)" is not needed
2. This procedure was used when I refilled the Black cartridge -
try using the ColorCopy button instead of BlackCopy button (number 1)
if you refill Color cartridge.
3. Maybe there is no need for all the four buttons -
you can try 1 + 4, 2 + 4 or 3 + 4.
(or 1+2+4, 1+3+4, 2+3+4)

Please let me know if this works for you

Best wishes from Varna, Bulgaria

*** BilBg ***

by BilBg on Oct 22, 2008 at 8:03pm Add comment
it works

THANKS

i use £1 cartridges that come without chips (i remove them from the origianl canon cartridge and put it ont the new refilled one

this proceedure WORKS!

thanks for takng th etime to 'walk us through it!'
- unknown
Well here I go again!
Its one thing to know how to reset the waste ink warning, but its entirely another thing to know why its happening. Your dealing with wet liquid ink. Inside the printer are blotters to absorb the wet ink from normal use, cleanings and purgings. When you reset the waste ink counter without checking or changing the blotters you do run the risk of wet ink eventually seeping out of the printer and ruining your nice oak desk or your wife's coffee table. Neither of which I think you want to do! If you can't get it serviced properly, then you should at least buy a new set of blotters and do it yourself.
You can find blotters for all Canon inkjet printers at beckscrs.com. They an authorized Canon service center and parts reseller.

BAB
Authorized Canon Tech
by BAB on Oct 24, 2008 at 6:20am Add comment

We do not have "nice oak desk or your wife's coffee table"
in Bulgaria so we don't care!

99\% of ordinary users (in the world) have ordinary desks.
1 desk costs 2-10 cartridges.
The ink will not "ruin" my desk, I'll just clean it.

"risk of wet ink eventually seeping out of the printer":
you have to print 500 pages a day and refill 50-100 times
for this to happen.

Of course if you move the printer
carry it in normal position - not on side or upside down!

"You can find blotters for all Canon inkjet printers at ...":
what is this??! Advertising?

When you buy a printer you choose the brand and model;
When you buy cartridges you can't choose.

So printer manufacturers sell the printers at cheap prices
and cartridges at very high prices -
20-40 times the production costs.

We (poor people) have to refill.

Epson makes every effort to forbid people to refill,
Canon makes some to make our lives difficult,
Lexmark is easy but I do not like it.

So I like HP :)

And again (please tell me):

Does anybody tried these button combinations,
did they work?

- BilBg
Hey Bilbg, are you an authorized trained Canon Tech? I highly doubt it!
All you know is you want to sell refilled intanks or the ink its self. Personnally I don't care but then again I hear a lot of complaints about Canon printers and how they don't work right any more or they don't print period, colors run together, smear, blotch, colors aren't right you name it I have heard it.
First off you sell your inks, I'll sell the blotters. If your going to use refilled inks, then at least learn how to change the blotters when the waste ink warnings come on. I wish more customers would use refilled inks, really I do, it means tons more business for me, especially in ruined print heads.
I had a MP520 come in just yesterday, customer complained it stopped printing. I turned it on and got several error codes so I opened the unit and called over all the other techs, what did we find but 4 out of 5 refilled drilled at the top with little rubber plugs in them completely empty cli8 ink tanks and one oem empty ink tank. And the 5BK tanks little rubber plug was missing! No wonder her printer stopped, the little rubber plug had popped out and was lodged in the paper path. After removing the plug, and putting in new Canon OEM inks we tried to print, but alas, it only worked partially because they had let the ink tanks run completely dry, this in turn ran the print head dry and burned it out. This little lesson cost the lady dearly as she had to buy new inks, new print head and pay for the labor to install and test completely, (To Bad her warranty had expired, Canon would have paid for it!)around $150, American! All because she was going to be smart and save money using refilled inks.
You want to give more trained advice to people, please do but then at least let then know when the printer stops working they can come to beckscrs.com and buy replacement parts.
And we have many Oak, and walnut and Cherry wood desk in America!
Oh and no thats not the code to reset the waste ink counter or any other reset for that matter!

BAB
Authorized Canon Tech

PS, HP inks cost even more then Canon, about 2 1/2time more, again I'm also a HP Authorized Tech, have been since 1997 on all Laser, inkjet, designjet printers and computers.
by BAB on Nov 13, 2008 at 6:14am Add comment
I know. be good when Canon fully impliment the Ajustment Utility Software.

good luck customers getting there hands on SIGNED software

RR
Canon Australia - Anonymous
hold down the Stop/Reset button for 5 seconds then release.
by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2008 at 1:06pm Add comment
BAB you can't even spell "personnally" thats how you spelled it. Get out of here we don't want you. You were also advertising noone effing cares
by Anonymous on Feb 14, 2009 at 7:11am Add comment
What pisses me off is that I cannot print an all black document when one of the colour tanks run out. The whole printer grinds to a halt until I buy a new Cyan or Magenta or whatever is needed. I would say about 5\% of my printing is colour. Why is this, it is terrible design and makes me want to chuck the whole works into the nearest snowbank. I have had many problems with my MP520 and it has been absolutely BABIED its whole life. So many consumer electronic manufacturers seem to put their own proprietary rights ahead of good design and customer satisfaction. And the whole ink tank scam has led directly to aftermarket refillers success. It is ridiculous to realize it often would cost the same or MORE to replace all ink tanks than to buy a WHOLE NEW PRINTER!!! Absolutely sinful, Bab, you have no right to try to come off as the saviour here.
by unknown on Feb 24, 2009 at 6:19pm Add comment
Hello!
Bravo Bilbg!Thanks,it works like charm!
by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2009 at 1:16am Add comment
the combo didn't work for me!
by unknown on May 13, 2009 at 1:12pm Add comment
I tried your method, and it did not work. So I followed carefully the french instructions of my french Canon driver: the error message of the printer was "black ink level can not be fixed". The driver message was: "Your cartridge has been refilled, we can not garantee a normal fonctionning. You want to continue ?" Of course I did ... Next message: Press button n°2(in your system) for at least 5 seconds to disable the level-control of the black ink. That's what I did, and it works. The level of the black cartridge is no longer indicated during printing.
I'm refilling since at least ten years on different labels, and Canon accepts best ...
by Gisbert26510 on May 15, 2009 at 12:02pm Add comment
Thanks I used the colour button instead of the black and white and it worked a treat.
I hate that Cannon have put this on their printer, it feels like the next step to built in obsolescence, What next a cooker that will only cook food bought in certain supermarkets. It is about time that the power was taken back by the consumer and suppliers realized that without the consumer they have no business.
Lets hope that this recession if nothing else helps to restore the balance.
by unknown on May 18, 2009 at 11:14am Add comment
You are so right, and anybody in this forum will agree with that:

the price of black+color ink for many printers is often nearly the price of the printer itself, and you have to pay for it every other month. This is legal theft. Legal because our legal system covers this type of theft ...
by Gisbert26510 on May 19, 2009 at 11:04pm Add comment

Thank you all for the contribution!

Some of you had success with this reset, some not, and some found simpler procedure that works.

As you know Canon changes the (secret) button combinations for every printer model to make refill harder for us.
(and make money for them)

Maybe they even change this button cheats on the same printer model manufactured at different times (different firmware).

So if the 4-button procedure didn't work for you try the simpler one:

1) Turn the printer ON

2) Press and hold "Cancel" (No. 2) button for 5-20 seconds
or
2) Press and hold "OK" (No. 3) button for 5-20 seconds

Usually there is acknowledgement that the reset worked:

* Noises inside the printer - the print head moves
* Info on the printer's LCD screen changes
* LEDs (lights) on the printer turn Off/On
* Some dialog box appears on your computer monitor -
- if it asks for confirmation - give it (e.g. press Yes|OK|Ignore|I agree|Continue ...)

(
If you are DETERMINED to refill don't mind the warnings "You may damage your printer ..."

But DO mind:

* Use quality inks

* Don't let the head nozzles dry out - print at least every week

* Don't print with empty cartridge even if you don't need the color which is empty
- it increases the possibility of head burn-out

* After (your first) refill leave the cartridge for 5 minutes outside the printer
(in a glass in normal position as it sits in the printer)
- if it leaks you are doing something wrong - Don't put the leaking cartridge in the printer!
There is NO printer brand/model designed to work with leaking cartridges.

* I use large dish/tray over thick newspaper - if I spill ink it will not go on desk/floor.
Have some paper tissues around. Have some water and alcohol around.
Take your time - you will need more than 5 minutes (usually 15-30)

* If your printer needs repair in warranty period (e.g. can't get paper)
- Don't tell them that you refill (remove the refilled cartridges from the printer)
- they use this as an excuse to deny warranty (no charge) repairs.
)

Wish you easy refilling

Greetings from Varna, Black sea coast, Bulgaria

*** BilBg ***

===================================================

Join [email protected] - http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI)

by BilBg on May 22, 2009 at 10:11pm Add comment
hey guys,
nothing helped, i still got yellow symbol with question-mark, i did all steps above, please help
by petem on Jun 15, 2009 at 11:42am Add comment
hey guys,
nothing helped, i still got yellow symbol with question-mark, i did all steps above, please help
by petem on Jun 16, 2009 at 8:04am Add comment
What Cannon MP520 are you talking about? I am in Australia with one and it doesn't have any numbered keys? At the top of the horizontal control pad (with all the buttons on it) I have a "current ink levels" button on the left and the "Introduction" button on the right, then on the next row the "ON/OFF" button on the far left, then the "NAVI" button, then the "HOME" button and the "Feed Switch" button, then on the next row is the large circle with the arrow top bottom left right with the "OK" button in the middle, then on the next row the "Back" on the left and on the right, "Copies" button + and -. On the bottom-most row there is the "Black" button on the left, "Color" button in the middle and "Stop/Reset" button on the right.

I don't see any buttons numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5? Please clear this up as I have been trying to refill my printer tanks lately without success. I have filled them successfully for the first 8 times and now for some reason it seems as though I am not getting the feeds of ink comming through the black one. Colour goes ok but the black seems to be stopping although when I take the black tank out and clean head with Ethyl alcohol it works for a very short time so nothing is plugged or clogged seems like a designed-in blockage or something to do with the computer in the printer stopping things from working.

I also agree that BAB should step "out" of the conversation as he/she has more of an agenda than helping the community fix the problems we are having.

-Nic from Australia
by even1 on Jun 29, 2009 at 4:35am Add comment
What Cannon MP520 are you talking about? I am in Australia with one and it doesn't have any numbered keys? At the top of the horizontal control pad (with all the buttons on it) I have a "current ink levels" button on the left and the "Introduction" button on the right, then on the next row the "ON/OFF" button on the far left, then the "NAVI" button, then the "HOME" button and the "Feed Switch" button, then on the next row is the large circle with the arrow top bottom left right with the "OK" button in the middle, then on the next row the "Back" on the left and on the right, "Copies" button + and -. On the bottom-most row there is the "Black" button on the left, "Color" button in the middle and "Stop/Reset" button on the right.

I don't see any buttons numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5? Please clear this up as I have been trying to refill my printer tanks lately without success. I have filled them successfully for the first 8 times and now for some reason it seems as though I am not getting the feeds of ink comming through the black one. Colour goes ok but the black seems to be stopping although when I take the black tank out and clean head with Ethyl alcohol it works for a very short time so nothing is plugged or clogged seems like a designed-in blockage or something to do with the computer in the printer stopping things from working.

I also agree that BAB should step "out" of the conversation as he/she has more of an agenda than helping the community fix the problems we are having.

-Nic from Australia
by even1 on Jun 29, 2009 at 4:46am Add comment

As I said in my first post (at the very top of this thread):

"
First look at this photo:

http://mail.dir.bg/~bil/Canon_Pixma_MP520_Buttons_03.gif

(red colored numbers 1...4 added by me)
"

If somebody for any reason can't see the picture the numbers are:

1 = Black Copy
2 = Cancel (Stop/Reset)
3 = OK
4 = ON/OFF

Your problem seems to have nothing to do with this reset procedure.

My guess is - you have air in the printhead (not in the tank).

If you can get the printhead out of the printer (with the full tanks in it) you can suck the air out by transparent medical rubber hose.

http://img.diytrade.com

Put the printhead upside-down and suck the air up thru the nozzles.
(be careful not to get ink into your mouth)

At first some air bubbles (ink-air foam) will come out the nozzles.

When you can see 1-2 ml of steady ink flow you can stop sucking.

(Some 2-3 ml of ink have to be discarded)

Now (holding the hose tight to the nozzles) turn the printhead with nozzles down so the sucked ink remain in hose and not spill.

This can be messy - be prepared.

by BilBg on Jun 30, 2009 at 9:14pm Add comment
Thanks Bilbg, You are a legend! I will try what your suggesting!
by even1 on Jul 7, 2009 at 1:35pm Add comment
HI, you are a true legend for setting this up but, as many people seem to be, I' still having problems. My fingers are already black from trying to clean or do whatever I think might possibly work. But now they're sore from holding down EVERY combination of buttons I can think of. I used to have a problem with my Cyan and now it's my (full and brand new) Black ink cartridge (8bk) that wont work. I have alot of important university work which has to be printed on a regular basis and it's driving me mad any other tips? x
by Anonymous on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:23pm Add comment

Try to clean by alcohol the chip contacts and corresponding contacts in the printer.

Check the error code in the printer manual -

if it says "cartridge empty" - try the button combination to reset the ink level;

if it says "cartridge is bad/incompatible/unusable/defective..." - try to get a free replacement at the store where you bought it.

What happens if you put the old empty Black ink cartridge in the printer and use the button combination to reset the ink level?

If it works (the printer gets paper and "pretends" to print) -
you can remove the chip from the old empty cartridge and glue it to the new full cartridge.
- BilBg
I tried the four buttons - no luck for me -the message just came back every time complaining about the black cartridge.

All I wanted to do was scan for crying out loud, but the darn thing wanted a working black cartridge. Pressing and holding down the reset button ALONE for about 12 seconds while the printer was already on and had the error message made it forget about the cartridge - scanning went well!

I then tried to copy as a test(I had managed to inject some cleaning fluid into the black cartridge - I had run out of black ink)PRINTING WAS JUST FINE AND DANDY - YAY!!!! :)
by Borris on Apr 28, 2010 at 5:43am Add comment
Hi
Filled up the yellow cartridge and failed now to reset the printer.
Tried all possible button combinations as mentioned previously but i can not find it.

Somebody has or know some other tricks?

Thanks in advance

by jack_407 on May 13, 2010 at 7:35am Add comment
canon error u071 nothing workd please help, keeps saying ink tank already in of same colour.
by zeta1 on Aug 8, 2010 at 11:48pm Add comment
I tried all the above button combinations but nothing worked. Then I pressed button #2 for 5 seconds and the error message disappeared.

Seems to work now.

C
by unknown on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:11am Add comment
I have an MP520 that has stopped printing black. It was printing fine until I had to replace the black cartridge, then nothing. Test pattern was fine for colors, but no black at all. Cleaning didn't help. I replaced the cartridge with a Canon black cartridge but still nothing. Canon says the nozzles are blocked because I used Cartridge World refills. I tried all the key combinations from this thread, but nothing helps. Any suggestions? Thanks.
by treepmeyer on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:28pm Add comment

If "Test pattern was fine for colors, but no black at all." the printer actually prints (works) - no key combinations are needed (= chip is not empty).

Bad inks can block the nozzles (e.g. don't buy Fullmark (Malaysia) inks).
I use special UK made fluids for cleaning the nozzles but (if you are already about to throw the printer out the window ;) )
you may try: [warm water + some drops of liquid soap/shampoo + some drops of alcohol + some drops of ammonia] to wipe/soak the nozzles.

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK - I DON'T GIVE ANY GUARANTIES

Or you may have air in the printhead, see:
Re: Reset Canon MP520? by BilBg (7/1/09 7:14 AM)

by BilBg on Jan 12, 2012 at 9:36pm Add comment
I JUST want to use my flipping scanner. I don't even NEED INK.

How do I fix it so I can just SCAN?
by unknown on Aug 4, 2012 at 7:29pm Add comment

Did you try any reset combination/procedure from the buttons?

You need to have cartridges in the printer (even if they are empty) so printer can 'see' the chips.

On the bottom of the empty cartridges you can see small prism inside (looks shiny - like crystal/mirror)
- you may need to cover that place on the bottom of the empty cartridges with black tape before applying reset combination/procedure from the buttons.

(Printer manufacturers are greedy - they want you to buy cartridges so most combined machines (Printer + Scanner) stop working at all if they know there is no ink. You have to lie the Printer so it believes ink is there)

- BilBg
i have a canon pixma MP520 model....and there is a problem with printer...'5B00' error appears the printer screen..have can i solve this problem
by unknown on Oct 20, 2012 at 7:11am Add comment
Tried all... the message does not go away... but now I can print... thats great. Thanks BilBg
by unknown on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:49am Add comment

Here you like to write procedure of Reset the cannon MP520 which is little bit tough and lengthy. No everyone who work with know this procedure. I think this article is good source for them to keep in mind the outline of this procedure. However, here i order college paper and still looking a reliable source to complete my order successfully.

by Elmasd0 on Feb 26, 2017 at 12:55pm Add comment