unknown

asked Jan 6, 2008 at 6:57pm
Canon Canon Bubblejet (BJ) 20

MP180 Ink tank reset. this works have tried it!!

Power off printer
Hold down STOP/RESET button then Press and Hold down Power button
Keep Power button down and Release STOP/RESET button
Push STOP/RESET button twice
let go of power button

Wait 20-30 seconds - my display shows "canon Idle"
Push STOP/RESET button four times
Push Power button twice
Power off
Next time the printer is started the waste count will have been reset

I have a Canon IP5000 and the ink absorber is full and now the Power is completely OUT. When I push the power button nothing happens. I have tried unplugging and holding down the power button and plug the AC cord back in but Nothing. Help!
by TheRoyalOne on Mar 7, 2008 at 11:04am Add comment
I have the same problem with you...just looking for a sulution, i even checked the power suply but it works.
by copycatoulis on Mar 13, 2008 at 3:38pm Add comment
many thanks my friend...its real big help
thanks
by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2008 at 6:05pm Add comment
You're a star, thankyou
by Anonymous on Sep 27, 2008 at 3:35am Add comment
hail to the god.......thankyou, you have saved another poor printer from the wrath of my foot kicking out the door!
by Anonymous on May 26, 2009 at 12:56am Add comment
Hola resulta que hice lo q dices, pero no tengo buenos resultados, siempre me sale diceiedo que no se reconocen los cartuchos, no se que puedo hacer
by unknown on Dec 18, 2009 at 12:17pm Add comment
Thank you so much Jonathon Anonomyous, I have searched and searched for a fix for my Canon MP 180 printer, and yours worked. I did get at the waste ink tank first and cleaned up the ink. I thought I'd have to buy a new printer. I know a couple of years have passed since you posted, but I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Annie
by Anonymous on May 30, 2010 at 8:01am Add comment
I get the "U140 check ink col" even if i did what you said. Could you please suggest anything else for me? (Canon MP180)
by lore2702 on Nov 10, 2010 at 3:04am Add comment
Jonathan Ryan Your solution works :) Thx so much.
by unknown on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:39am Add comment
Got to the stage where I was ready to use this printer for shotgun practice..thanks to you it'll live another day !
by Rolf on Oct 1, 2011 at 8:11am Add comment
hi!!
I have canon mp180. A month ago I cleaned up my printer's ink reservoir, reset the printer as instructed above & all set well.
Since then i have not used my printer much, as printer's cartiage is empty.
However today when i tried using it's scanner i'm facing same 5100 error message, I'm quite sure reservoir is clean also I have tried resetting my printer again but all in vain.

Please guide.
by unknown on Oct 22, 2011 at 12:04pm Add comment
Wow!!! It actually works - even if the MP180 already shows a 5800 error and says "SERVICE REQUIRED"

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Jonathan!

Daddy L
by unknown on Nov 9, 2011 at 8:39am Add comment
Many thanks for that Mr.Ryan - I'm so pleased - it worked a treat once I'd scrabbled around for the printer manual to find where the stop/reset button was.

It's the button to the left of the on/off button if, like me, you've mislaid the manual.

For anyone interested, I couldn't get the excess ink sponge pads out to clean them before the ink tank reset but managed a fair job with them in situ.

Here's what I did:

- Turn on the printer and lift up the top section. When the ink cartridges have moved to the centre of the machine turn it off at the mains, which leaves the cartridges out of the way of the excess ink pads which are located on the far right hand side.

- I cleaned off the sponges by pressing paper towels on to them and then cleaned the surrounding parts with paper towels and cotton buds. It was a bit messy but not too bad.

- Once I'd done this I turned on the printer at the mains, restarted it with the on/off button and once it had completed it's actions I turned it off by the on/off button.

- I then followed Jonathan Ryan's instructions and the printer now prints again.

Again, thanks Jonathan Ryan for your help

by Pete Middleton on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:05am Add comment