ty_webb3

asked Apr 14, 2005 at 6:57am
Epson Epson Stylus Color 777

Epson Ink Cartridge Expiration Dates - Real???

I've searched through the forums but couldn't find anything.

I've got an Epson 777 and use the T017 black and T018 color cartridges. I recently saw what looked like a good deal on some new sealed ink cartridges. The catch was that the expiration date stamped on the cartridge had just passed last month.

I'm pretty sure that the ink is probably still good in a sealed package. However, I read about the HP cartridges having the expiration dates in their chips which would throw a printer error after that date regardless of the actual condition of the cartridge and ink.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience regarding the Epson cartridges and their date stamps?

Can you install and use a cartridge past the stamped expiration date?

Can you use a chip resetter to reset the date?

Thanks in advance.
Rule number 1: Sponge with ink does have expiration date.
if you use it, most likely you will crack your print head.

if you really need a cheaper solution, go ahead and buy Ink Republic's bulk ink system. they use spongeless cartridge, pretty reliable and trouble free.
by unknown on Apr 14, 2005 at 7:01am Add comment
ty_webb3: I have never actually used an "Ink Chip Resetter" to reset the electrical chips on an epson ink cartridge. However, that is normally what you would have to do, to probably be able to use those expired ink cartridges. HERE'S SOME PREVIOUSLY POSTED INFORMATION OFF THE "FIXYOUROWNPRINTER.COM", PRINTER REPAIR SITE: bjrose 3/31/2003 16:08:40 Subject: reset most ink cartridges...check out this software works like a charm. use usb port if you have com problem.
http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html . [OR] moe 12/07/2003 12:48:27 Re: need a website to buy an Epson chip resetter. I don't know how reliable it is, but at $19.95 it's certainly cheap. http://epsonchipresetter.com Great. [OR] art 9/22/2004 08:28:06 Subject: Cheap Epson resetter that works.
Anyone looking for a reasonably priced resetter,I just bought one from: http://store.einktech.com/epchre.html for $12.50. Seems to work just fine. Made by G & G ...You might be able to actually freeze the ink levels in those cartridges, using the "SSC Service Utility", especially if the printer has not already marked the electrical chip as expired. THIS ADDITIONAL INFO MIGHT ALSO BE OF SOME HELP: Tim H 12/10/2003 2:46:24 Subject: Epson Reset Program Download Location. after a long search for a reset program for waste ink, without paying, i found it. goto: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/sscserve.exe . please check that your printer is compatible goto: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html . this program has other features as well. [or] NEWUSER Re: Epson Error and power light flashing by newuser (4/5/05 11:10 AM). To reset the error download this utility:
http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html . Once installed run the program and configure it, closing the main window and right clicking the icon in the tray area, from there choose Configure and select your printers model. After configuration, select Protection counter -> Reset protection counter, it should be able to clear the error message. If that does not actually work, then the only suggestion I can give is to perform a soft-reset before resetting counter. Remove also the Epson status agent, it detects errors and it may hinder communication with the printer, then reboot your pc. As profile choose the one sscservice didn't use after autoconfiguration, check for printer response. Remember that you should also clean the waste ink pads located at the printer bottom, for a step by step guide download the service manual for your printer from this site: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/public/epson . For a more in-depth procedure by NEWUSER, go to his site at http://myprinter.altervista.org/simplefaq/mysimplefaq.html#counter ....Unfortunatly, that "SSC Service Utility" may not actually work on all Epson Printers and not on all Operating Systems, so you will have to check it out for yourself...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Apr 14, 2005 at 10:02am Add comment
As for the epson counter utlity, it works just fine on Windows 98, 2000 and XP. one note, that even though it doesnt say it the Espon 825/915 should have a ** note on it. If anyone is wondering what that means it means that you wont get a message when your ink is running low because the counter has been 'frozen'.

And this application contains no malware/spyware/trojans/etc. Just checked it out for a friend of mine and its clean a a whistle. Quite a cool prog IMO too. - Anonymous
I wouldn't trust anyone who pretends to sell me a 120$ or more Cis for a 4 years old printer, so I cannot trust motto's opinion about "cracking the printhead".

Expiration date in Epson cartridge is just a suggestion, "use this cartridge before this date to get the best results", but no data is written in the chip and the printer doesn't care about installation date. I am right now using in my Epson 777 two (refilled) cartridges expired in year 2000.
by newuser on Apr 14, 2005 at 10:06am Add comment
Motto is just another fake name used by Ink Republic to try to sell their junk on this forum. There is NO WAY a ink cartridge can crack a print head. Motto is just using scare tactics and proving that not everything you read is true. If one were to use a expired ink carteidge it will work or the ink masy be a little thick but they won't damage your printer. And a ink cartridge that is 1 month over the expiration date would not cause you any trouble unless it was defective to begin with.

Wes.
by unknown on Apr 14, 2005 at 2:07pm Add comment
>If one were to use a expired ink carteidge it will work or the
>ink masy be a little thick but they won't damage your printer.

Huh? Says who?

Wes, I totally disagree with you. if so, what's the expired date for??

If you drink the expired juice, you still can get with it, what if you cant?

Expired cartirdge would damage print head obviously, however, you just take risk. It does not happen all the time, but again, you need to take the risk. The dried out sponge can clog the print head easily.

by Anonymous on Apr 15, 2005 at 9:32am Add comment
Not even close to the same thing. And Expired cartridges are every day with no problems.

But everyone has their own opinion.

Wes.
by unknown on Apr 15, 2005 at 1:52pm Add comment
I completely agree with Wes, an expired cartridge cannot damage the printhead, at worst you will experience a poor output but no damage will occur. I have a 777, I have been using an expired cartridge for 3 years now and it still works perfectly.

Expiration date has nothing to do with the sponge, Epson sells spongeless cartridges as well and they have an expiration date too.

But the most important thing is that Epson simply warns you to use the cartridge before the expiration date while it tells clearly that using third-party cartridges or inks, like the S-ink republic Cis, could cause printer damage. As you said, using the Cis damage doesn't happen all the time, you just take the risk.
by newuser on Apr 15, 2005 at 1:55pm Add comment
regardless sponge or spongeless system from InkRepublic.com,
my question is, who can point out any online or physical store sell expired cartridges?

if yes, what is the expired date for?
if no, why they dare not to sell the expired cartridge?

Like InkRepublic, Epson does sell spongeless cartridge, however, those spongeless cartridiges are only for wide format printer, not for desktop.

The beauty of InkRepublic.com CIS is its spongeless design and separated chipset. However, they are not the first one in this market, Epson was.

by unknown on Apr 16, 2005 at 8:26am Add comment
I am a printer technician and had been an Epson trained tech for five years and the same rules apply with all ink style printers.
The expiration of ink is due to the fact that all inks undergo chemical breakdown (coagulate) over time. In other words they simply clog up your jets.

In HP, Canon, Lexmark InkJet Style printers that use heat to expel the ink, just simply clog and sometimes the ink can cook into the jets, making them inoperable.

With the Epson ink based printers that use the piezoelectric style mechanism (pushed out by a mechanically by a flexing piece of chrystal), yes, hardened ink can crack the piezoelectric mechanism and destroy the head. I've seen it on many occasions, since often we soak the heads in special solution for days to remove the dried ink, but even after the ink has all been removed and the jet passes fresh ink, it still fails and even though the circuit for that jet appears okay, it is dead, no pressure appearing at the nozzle. Out of curiosity, I once ripped a dead head apart and examined it under a cheap microscope I was given as a child and witnessed a cracked crystal for myself. I was very careful in disecting the head and reasonably sure the crystal was cracked prior to the operation.

Cheers

Cheers,

- Anonymous
Actually the Dura Brite ink cartridges are spongless and they go into desk top printers like the C64, C82, C86 and the CX5200, CX5400 and so on. Most stores sell the expired ink cartridges in their close out bin or on eBay.

The expiration date is used to give the buyer the "best if used by this date" results. The ink does not automatically degrade at that point. The ink will still be good for a long time after that.

As for the cartridge chips Epson does not "date stamp" their chips like HP does. So the cartridge will still work. The first question was will a expired ink cartridge that is expired by 1 month still work?. Yes it will, will a 1 year expired cartridge work. It should work fine as long it had no defects to start with and it was never opened.

Wes.

by unknown on Apr 16, 2005 at 9:22am Add comment
The pressurized and sealed Durabrite style ink cartridges do appear to last longer than the earlier inks, possibly due to pressurization and lack of contact with the atmosphere.

Most of my problems have been with people refilling this style of cartridge.

The two problems I've often faced are:
1: The seal bursts and ink (conductive) enters the head contacts and electronics, destroying the printer completely. Oops, sorry, no warranty for that printer.

2: The ink used to refill these cartridges has itself possibly gone out of date and has coagulated, damaging the head. Some lucky sods have got away with warranty for these printers, but beware of use-by-dates on refill kits also.

Cheers - Anonymous
Wes is right, Epson introduced spongeless cartridges for its desktop printers in 2002 with the C70 and C80.

Anyway I'd like to point out that "spongeless" doesn't mean better, Epson has introduced this design for pigmented ink cartridges but since it has been found to be a simpler and cheaper solution, it has been adopted progressively on the entire product line.

I think also that the statement "separated chip design" means nothing, on any Epson cartridge original or compatible available on the market the chip is physically separated from the cartridge and it can be replaced whenever needed.
by newuser on Apr 16, 2005 at 12:18pm Add comment
Anyone please? Please help me secure a chipset resetter for Epson Stylus CX2900. I just bought this two months ago and now I can not use it any more.
by unknown on Apr 26, 2007 at 11:22pm Add comment
eBay, search 'chip resetter'. Will reset yours and most others.
JaX - WaveGuide
can anyone give me a software for cracking / reset epson printer cx 4500 cartridges. the colour cartridges have ink but the printer shows they are empty. only black cartrige is shown to contain ink. i would be happy if any software could make at least black printing work.
by mukuntharajan on Sep 29, 2007 at 10:56am Add comment
is the resetter for epson cx 4500 available in ebay or elsewhere. please guide me
by mukuntharajan on Sep 29, 2007 at 10:59am Add comment
Many people tell you that you can't use HP ink once the install-by date has passed, but that's just not true.

See this link to HP's own website where they confirm the following:

http://tiny.cc/dJpIY

* HP printheads and ink cartridges can be installed after the install-by date.
* Do not worry about installing an HP printhead or ink cartridge that is past the Install-by date.
* Install-by dates are being removed from HP packaging.

That's it, go spread the truth, and save yourself heaps of money by not worrying about stupid install-by dates, they mean nothing.
by unknown on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:12pm Add comment
Hey, how does someone become an Epson techy?

by unknown on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:46pm Add comment
I have a hp colour ink cartridge that is past its expiry date of 2006, can it still be installed in to my printer? will it cause problems? will it still print ok? I want to put it on ebay but unsure if it will be ok!
by unknown on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:22am Add comment

I bought back in December 2010 a New sealed Epson NX510 printer at Frys.

I use the printer more for scanning but I have printed out several pages with this machine. The machine is at least three model years old. Being replace by the 515 and now the 520.

So I would think the ink is past the expiration date and the prints from web pages look fine. And copies also look fine.

At the time I did not know there were expiration dates on the ink packages. Next time I will pay attention to this.

Hope this helps.
by bigedusa on Feb 4, 2011 at 5:04pm Add comment
Having just bought a TO715 kit of inks for my printer from ebay how can i find out if these are IN DATE. I cannot see any dates/reference points
The external label shews a number C13T0714010 are the last 4 numbers april 2010.
Cany anyone help, many thanks Alan.
by unknown on May 4, 2011 at 2:59pm Add comment
Not sure about the code. However, if you insert the cartridges into the printer, the status monitor found under the maintenance tab allows you to see the manufacturing date. Hope this helps.
by unknown on May 4, 2011 at 4:57pm Add comment
Many thanks for your input, Alan - alanwhybrow
An Epson ink cartridge does not have an expiration date printed on the label, but there is a way to decipher the exact "use-before" date on any Epson ink cartridge and here's how. Epson ink cartridges have an imprinted six-digit code, unique to each cartridge. It is imprinted along the gray edge of the cartridge next to where the word "Epson" appears on the cartridge label. It's kind of hard to see. We use a magnifying glass. That six-digit code reveals within the first two digits the exact date of manufacture. The first digit is the year of manufacture. For example, 9 would be 2009, zero would be 2010, 1 would be 2011, 2 would be 2012, and so on. Since Epson cartridges have a three-year recommended shelf life, add three years to that first digit to get the year of "expiration." The second digit is the month of manufacture, 1-9 being January through September, and A, B, and C for October, November and December, respectively. So, for instance, you've got a imprinted code on your cartridge that starts with 1A, that would mean it was manufactured in 2011, the month of October, and, therefore, the use-before date will occur three years later in October of 2014. You'll also find that same six-digit code printed on every Epson retail box next to the "use-before" date. Take any Epson cartridge out of its box to check for yourself and you'll see that the imprinted code on the cartridge will match the six-digit code printed on the box. Also, Epson printers will not reject an ink cartridge that has passed its "use-before" date. The inks will install and work fine if they were stored properly and remained sealed. Other printer companies in the past have programmed their printers to reject expired cartridges, and/or prompt the consumer to buy more ink when the cartridge still had plenty of ink remaining, all of which caused a lot of ruckus in the legal world, as several of the companies were sued for cheating the consumer out of goods purchased. Thank goodness these standards only went on for a few years, as each company went back to allowing consumers to install expired cartridges without their printers locking up or refusing to function without new ink. Epson was one of the few companies that never initiated such a practice. I think that's commendable, unlike HP, Lexmark and several other ink manufacturers that try to rip the consumer off in order to make a profit.
by Daybee on Aug 12, 2014 at 2:12am Add comment