unknown

asked Mar 11, 2005 at 7:24am
Hp HP CopyJet Color

THE FIRST GUIDE IN TAKING BACK YOUR HP OFFICEJET!

I HAVE GOTTEN AN OFFICEJET D135 FOR FREE, AND FOR GOOD REASON. BOTH INK TANKS WERE NEAR FULL AND EXPIRED, AND ALL 4 PRINT HEADS ARE DRY AS A BONE. BELOW IS A PLAY BY PLAY ON 1.) RESETTING A D135 TO USE EXPIRED CART'S AND 2.) MAKING OLD DYING PRINT HEADS (THAT GIVE YOU THE DAMN IDS FAILURE CALL HP MESSAGE)...

A.) RESETTING THE PRINTER TO ACCEPT ANY TANKS
1. UNPLUG THE PRINTER FROM BOTH THE COMPUTER AND POWER
SUPPLY

2. USE A SMALL SCREWDRIVER OR SOMETHING ABOUT 1/8" IN DIAMATER TO PUSH OUT THE HINGE PINS ON THE 2 MAIN SUPPORT WHEN YOU OPEN THE PRINTER TO SERVICE IT (BE WARNED *NOT* TO OPEN THE PRINTER UP TO FAST, OR TO FAR WITH THE PINS OUT!! I DID THIS AND DIDN'T REALIZE THE TOP PRINTER COVER WOULD REACH its OPENING POINT, AS SUCH HAD TO GLUE BACK THE HINGE POINTS ON THE TOP SCANNER COVER!!)

3.) WITH THE TOP FULLY OPEN, AND HINGES OUT, YOU CAN SEE MUCH BETTER INTO THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PRINTER. THERE RIGHT INFRONT OF YOU IS A 3.3V STANDARD CMOS/BIOS BATTERY YOUR USED TO SEEING IN YOUR PC. USE A PAPERCLIP, SMALL PLYERS WHATEVER TO GET IT OUT, AND LEAVE IT OUT OVER AN HOUR.

4.) REVERSE THE ABOUT STEPS TO HE LETTER, INSTALLING THE BATTERY FIRST. WHEN YOUR PRINTER NOW STARTS THE TIME WILL BE JAN 00 00 00:00 - DON'T WORRY, FOR SOME REASON IF YOU USE THE DIRECTOR SOFTWARE AVAIL. ON THE HP WEBSITE, AND DIRECT LINK THE TIME/DATE WITH THE COMPUTER, THE PRINTER WILL AUTO CORRECT ITSELF EVERYTIME YOU START THE PRINTER TO GET AWAY FROM THE JAN 00 00 00:00. IT'S A GLITCH IN THE HARDWARE IN THE PRINTER, ASSUMING IT ONLY CHECK THE FLASHED ROM ON THE PRINTER CART'S ON POWERUP, IN WHICH THE TIME SAYS JAN 00 00 00:00, AND ALL IS GOOD. I AM CURRENTLY USING A COLOR CART THAT IS 13 MONTHS EXPIRED. AND UNLIKE WHAT HP WILL TELL YOU, TANKS NEVER WILL EXPIRE, THEY ARE SPONGES - PLAIN AN SIMPLE -... NEXT, HOW TO FIX YOUR PRINT HEADS, AND GET AWAY FROM THE DAMN "IDS FAILURE - CALL HP" MESSAGE.

B.) CLEANING AND FIXING YOUR HP D135 PRINT HEADS

1.) FIRST MESSAGE OF WARNING, MAKE DAMN SURE YOU HAVE THE FUNDS FOR NEW INK CART'S OR AS I'M ASSUMING KNOW HOW TO SAVE HUNDREADS AND REFILL YOUR OWN TANKS.

2.) ALL HP INKS ARE PIGMENT BASED, IN A WATER SOLUTION. THAT SAID, LIKE WATERCOLORS, GUESS WHAT CLEANS HP INKS?? WATER OR BETTER YET SOMETHING WITH A BIT OF HOUSEHOLD AMMONIUM - WINDEX. I STARTED WITH A PRINTER THAT HAD BEEN LEFT IN A TRUNK FOR 4 MONTHS, AND DEAD, AND ENDED WITH ONE THAT CAN PRINT AMAZING COLOR - GLOSSY PRINTS.

3.) QUITE SIMPLY, TAKE A PLATE YOUR NEVER GOING TO USE AGAIN, AND NO NOT PAPER, A ROLL OF PAPER TOWEL, AND A BOTTLE OF WINDEX. SIMPLY TEAR OFF ABOUT 4 - 5 SHEETS OF PAPER TOWEL, SOAK WITH WINDEX, AND SET YOUR PRINTHEADS (JET SIDE DOWN ON THE TOWEL) AS WE ALL KNOW THERE ARE 4 PRINT HEADS, AND THE DON'T LAY FLAT TO EXPOSE ALL THE INKJETS, I PUT TAPE BETWEEN 2 SETS, TO GET THEM TO HAVE MAX INKJET EXPOSURE, THEN SET 2 - 3 LBS OF WEIGHT ON THEM (THINK SMALL BOOK). LET THEM SET FOR A FEW HOURS TO OVERNIGHT. A FEW HOURS FOR A LOT OF CLOGS, OVERNIGHT IF THEY ARE NOT PRINTING AT ALL. YOU CAN TELL FROM A TEST PRINT PAGE REPORT (*3 *5). IF YOU GET AN IDS OR DEAD HEAD ERROR, PRESS ENTER AND IT WILL PRINT ANYWAY.

4.) THE SCIENCE BEHIND WHY THIS WORKS. WINDEX IS 90\%+ WATER A MOSTLY THE REST AMMONIUM. INKJETS USE TINY HEAT ELEMENTS TO "SPRAY" INK ON THE PAGE. IF THEY HAVE DRIED INK UP IN THE ELEMENT, OR THE PIPE TO THE NOZZEL, ALL THE CLEAN CYCLES IN THE WORLD WON'T WORK (TRUST ME, I TRIED). THE WINDEX, WORKS IN REVERSE, THE WATER/AMMONIA SOLUTION WORKS BACKWARDS UP THE PIPE, VIA THE NOZZLE INTO THE HEATER AND HEAD ITSELF.

5.) AFTER A FEW DOZEN PRINT CYCLES, THIS WILL FIX ANY LEVEL OF CLOG!! MIND YOU, YOU MAY HAVE TO RE-WINDEX IF YOU GET ANY IDS ERRORS, BUT MINE HAVE HAPPENED ONCE SINCE MY INITAL 3 HOUR SOAKING IN WINDEX, AND ONLY TO THE CYAN.

HOPE THIS LITTLE GUIDE HELPS, IT'S MY FIRST, I WILL START WRITING MORE AS I CAN FIND THE TIME, AND THE NEED. IT'S INSANE HP NOW MAKES THE COMMON PERSON THINK TANKS CAN EXPIRE, AND HEADS ARE EVER DEAD... IF YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU CAN REFILL YOUR TANKS USUALLY 4 - 6 TIMES WITH A 20.00 REFILL KIT OFF E-BAY. AS WITH ALL THINGS E-BAY MAKE SURE YOUR SUPPLIER USES GOOD QUALITY INKS (PIGMENT/DYE BASED - THERE IS A DIFFRENCE!!) AND LOOK AT THE SAVINGS, 20.00 FOR A BLACK/CMY COLOR REFILL KIT) OR OVER 300.00 FOR THE SAME NEW TANKS AT A LOCAL RETAIL SHOP!!

- [email protected] IN CHICAGO - LOOKING FOR A NEW CAREER!! HINT HINT... :)
I have an HP Officejet d135, just recently I get the display error: Scanner failure. Turn power off then on again. When I do this within 3 minutes I get the same error. During this 3 minutes I can hear 3 clicks that are coming from the back corner of the printer next to the plug. On the third click the error displays. I can get a test page to print perfectly. However I can not print from the PC. I have also tried all three resets:#3 reset, #6 Semi-full reset, #9 Full reset. I do not know what to do next, except to throw the dumb thing in the trash. Does anyone have any ideas???
by Anonymous on Feb 28, 2006 at 7:28pm Add comment
quick question regarding the sponges where the print heads/cartridges normally rest. I have 3 of the 4 and apparently the black has gone MIA. anybody know if I can just use a kitchen sponge cut to the appropriate size? where the sponge should have been was a significant buildup of ink, so thought maybe that was contributing to my black printhead clogging as it couldn't be cleaned normally....

Any suggestions would be helpful...
by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2007 at 9:49am Add comment
Thanks for the great information. I have a problem with the scanner on my d135. The auto feed starts up, makes a loud clicking noise then scans a few pages before it stops and says "scanner failure." I can scan 3 or 4 pages using the doc feeder fine, but no more than that. Anyone else have this problem?
by jimsimm on Aug 12, 2005 at 12:46pm Add comment
This may or may not be a solution for you, but this is what I incurred...

When using HPs scanning program, I was recieving all kinds of scanner errors and it wouldn't (like you) take more than a few pages when it would work.. the solution I found was to not use HPs program. I started just using Windows XPs scanning program and it works just fine..

Like I said, this may or my not work for you ... especially if your having a "hardware" problem, but it may be worth a try - Wayfarer
I had the scanner failure message also and the follwoing solved the problem:
Hello Lawrence,

Cleaning it inside out isn't really recommended by HP. I would not suggest you too. However, this problem is seen mostly in the printers connected on a surge protectors for power.

If not, try performing a power cycle decribed below;

1. Unplug USB from the computer and unplug the power cord without turning the printer off using On/Off Button.

2. Wait 2 seconds and then replug the power cord.

3. Wait 2 seconds do not let it initialize and unplug it again.

4. Perform steps 2 and 3 for 3 more times.

5. Connect all connections back and finally turn it off using Off button once and turn it back on.

Wait and see if it normalizes. Hope this helps, let me know the proceedings...

Regards,
- bobbyg
I'm having the "scanner failure" error on the d135, brought it to the shop, was told the scanner bulb was going out and couldn't get a replacement part. The guy actually referred to the unit as a 40 lb paperweight, not good for anything else.

I've only had the printer for 3 yrs in a home office atmosphere and thought that a $500+ unit by HP would last longer than this. It's really hard for me to believe some of the posts here that state their unit has lasted for several years. It's also unbelievable to me that a company like HP would make products that you can't get parts for, especially something like a scanner bulb. The bulb is not even listed on the HP Parts Store site.

Any ideas or suggestions? I would really like to know before I turn it in for recycling.

Thanks, Patty
by Anonymous on Aug 12, 2005 at 10:37pm Add comment
The "Scanner Failure" appears each time I start up the OfficeJe D125. The printer message window instructs me to turn the printer off and then back on. Each time the same error message appears. I have had this printer for 3 years and it has worked very nicely during that time. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Bob
by unknown on Feb 2, 2006 at 3:30am Add comment
Have "scanner failure...". After reading the posts in this thread I lifted the upper lid of the printer, unscrewed the plastic panel that is holding the left narrow glass (1 screw, you'll need a special screwdriver known as "compaq" with the star-like tip), removed the glass, cleaned the glass with moist paper towel, put everything back together, turned the unit on and FAXED MY SEVERAL PAGES WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM.
Thank you for posting here - vengerov
Hi bob,

I have your exact problem...were you able to find a solution? - Anonymous
Thanks for the info. I have one slight disagreement with your post. Most HP black cartridges use pigment based inks. Most of their color and photo inks, including photo black, are dye based and don't have solids. Color and photo cartridges have smaller nozzles than black cartridges to enable higher resolution color printing and putting pigment based inks in them will clog the nozzles.
Regards
Bill
by unknown on Mar 23, 2005 at 1:57pm Add comment
Can anyone tell me where I can download the HP Officejet Director software for my Hp D135. I can't find it anywhere?
by unknown on May 31, 2005 at 2:42pm Add comment
I have found the drivers for the D135 on the Hp site. WWW.hp.com
If you can't find it there. you can contact me or any othere D135 user for a copy of the CD that comes with the printer. I have had many of these printers in the past and I am sure I can come up with an extra CD Somewhere - Anonymous
First off... in reverse order...

Jet Side Down = the bottom of the print head looks like 2 darker copper color contacts with a light copper "middle" part... it's in the middle where the individual ink ports are.

HP OfficeJet Director Software is at www.hp.com... look around for a search box and put in D135. This will lead you to a page that you can find the new drivers and app's on.

A good refill kit... hmm... go to e-bay and check out this link..

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtruecolorimaging

the seller is True Color Imaging, who I use and have had no problems with.

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

- Jon
by unknown on Jun 3, 2005 at 2:45pm Add comment
Thank you so much for answering that question. I wasn't brave enough to ask and was joyful when someone else did. I don't do hardware. I don't know anything about it or want to usually. Programming is another thing. Lose your work, crash your OS, I can fix that. Reasearch to find what I don't know is another strong suit. That is what has led me here. I can't understand most of what anyone at HP says (even though they are very polite)due to heavy foreign accents and I end up getting very frustrated.
I have not bought a cartridge since I bought my d145 in 2003. I just bought up a lot of ink from local thrift and discount stores in my area. I think people get frustrated and donate it. All mine has been from www.ims-ink.com. I just now have had a problem with the heads but I don't use my color alot. After putting warm water on paper towels in a disposible bowl, I squirted a nice amount of Windex on top and put in the print head, placing a recipe book on top. In just 3 minutes, I now have a beautiful system report page showing all heads are working properly. DON'T FORGET TO WEAR GLOVES!
Thanks again! - Anonymous
Hello to all!
I would like to contribute to this thread with some more stuff i came upon with my hp officejet d145.
First of all i bought it off ebay, used, without printheads or cartridges. Then i bought a refurbished hp printer (i think c1170 or something like that) that has the same mechanism and same cartridges and printheads like the d145. The refurbished printer came with sealed cartridges and printheads that i used for my d145 and i also swapped the mechanism from this printer to the d145.
Everything worked perfect for quite a while...about a year of printing...i would say at least 5000 pages in my case. I refilled the cartridges all the time trying to make sure the printheads don't run dry.
But...a very annoying problem developed...the color printheads would get dry and if i didn't use the printer for a few days i had to clean the printheads and print primer pages just to be able to print something in color....quite a hassle.
So....i decided to take a printhead apart. I found out that inside the printhead assembly there is another ink reservoir and two flaps that hinge on the upper part of the printhead and in between them there is a little bag that inflates and deflates. The trick to the printhead is that when the bag inflates, the ink valve opens, allowing ink to "fall" or drip from the ink cartridge. This "air bag" mechanism actually works like a valve. The valve is needed because otherwise ink would keep dripping out of the printhead. When ink is used for printing, there is a vacuum created inside the printhead, which pulls air into the bag and inflates it...opening the ink valve. Because of the vacuum, ink is pulled into the printhead and the air bag deflates, closing the ink valve. Simple and smart.
Now, the good stuff.... how to make your printhead work really nice again. This is what i did to all ym printheads... (well...execpt the cyan one that i broke doing other stuff to it)...
First...how to take a printhead apart... use a small tip flat screw driver and pry between the round part that faces the front of the printer when the printhead is in the printer. This part looks like is on some kind of a rail and helps seat the printhead in the printer. This part is located underneath the printhead lift lever, when the lever is down. So when the lever is down, resting on the top of the printhead, you will have to locate the "pipe like" looking object under the lever handle. Hope you will find it...this is my best to try and explain without a picture. After the "pipe like" object is out, you will have three side retaining clips , two on the sides of the printhead and one on the opposite side to the "pipe like" object. Pry GENTLY on these one by one while SLOWLY trying to take the upper part off.
I have taken each printhead apart and slowly rinsed everything in warm water, the part with the bag and also the ink reservoir in the printhead. I had to insist a lot especially with the balck printhead that had some "dirt" in it. I also let the reservoir stay sunken in hot water for about five minutes to unclog the nozzles.
Aftwer doing the proper wash, i have filled a siringe with 5 ml of ink for the printhead in process and filled the reservoir. Do not fill the reservoir all the way to the top. 5 ml will fill the reservoir about 2/3. That is enough.
After putting ink in the reservoir place it on a thick paper towel and attach the top part of the printhead. Make sure you place the rubber seal back in place before you attach the top back to the reservoir. After that reattach the "pipe like" object and your printhead should be back to it's original shape.
The printhead will now be leaking ink and you will have to use some toilet paper folded about 10 times and put the printhead with the ink nozzles on it, to suck ink out of it and create vacuum inside. when you lift the printhead look if ink is still dripping. if it is, repeat the toilet paper procedure.
Before replacing the printhead in the printer, clean the copper contacts on the printhead and on the printer cart with some ear clinning swabs (that's what i used :) ).
I have done all this to all the printheads and my printer works like new.
Thanks for reading. Ask questions if you need to know more! :)
by odoboy on Sep 8, 2005 at 12:37am Add comment
Odoboy, Great tips and greatly appreciated. - jimsimm
I've been pondering a full scale old fasioned indian uprising against HP for the crappy way they try to hoodwink the consumer. I have a D145 with dry print heads and was about to tear into them when I read your post. Thanks, mucho gracias odoboy! If there's one thing I've learned from the web it's that there are pleanty of people out there like me who won't be bullied by greedy manufacturers! It's gratifying to see others digging in on the front lines! Here's two arrows tipped with flint and HP ink (red) on the ends. Paint your face and saddle up! - Anonymous
In Referance to odoboys post about taking apart the printhead.

This was very usefull. I found a Deskjet d135 at a local goodwillfor 25$, I freqently find good printers and parts there. I had no color ink cartrige. I orderered one thru inkquik.com for 13.99 plus 4$ shipping. One installed i was recieving magenta head errors. I tried the over night soak to no avail. I figured i was going to have to buy a new one anyhow, so i followed odoboy's advice. Taking those printheads apart is a little tricky, however after getting it apart and running hot water thru it for about 30 mins each, lettting it dry for 30 mins, refilling with ink, and putting it back together I am very pleased to say that i no longer have any print head errors and the print quality is 100\%.
Upon further inspection i did knowtice the cyan print head was very streaky. Again no help with the overnight soak. However I Ran the printhead under hot water for about 20 mins, Using a light stream of hot water directly on the screen mesh on top of the print head and shaking it every now and then. I knowticed that the ink was starting to bleed out very well after about 5 mins. I dryed up the Printhead, placed it back into the printer and poof.. no more streaks..

Thanks to everyone in this thread Saved me alot of $$$ , By the way Inkquick.com also sells the printheads for about 30$ each.

Christopher L. Gibson
Lowtech Industries

www.lt-ind.com - LowTech Industries
This is all excellent information and used it to get my d135 working again... for a while. I turned off the black and color monitoring and that solved my IDS failure error messages.

Now I'm getting "Supply expired. Printing stopped. Replace black ink cartridge. Press ENTER to continue." and another message for the color cart after pressing enter... so when I hit enter twice to get past these two messages, the printer just sits there... and when I submit another job the two messages come right back up, so I can't print anymore... I fill up my cartridges regularly and made sure there is ink... I've done google searches on this error and can't find anything on it... anyone else have this problem? Have a fix?

Thanks!
by unknown on Sep 18, 2005 at 10:20am Add comment
Just now I fixed that SUPPLY EXPIRED problem - I did the battery take out method on page one of this post - been messing with it for two days - also I kept some old black printheads and am trying the windex soak - see about about two posts the guy mentions he did a number 9 reset - to reset a d135 unplug it hold down 9 and plug it after it says initializing release number 9 - I called HP once and they also had me do this using 6 and 7 I dont know ehat they do but its worth a try - - Anonymous
Pointers for battery take out

Read all of the posts above one guy broke off the clip that holds the battery in

1. I didnt pull out the pins on the hinges I undid the whole hinge at the bottom - there are clips on either side pull them apart - see above posts DO NOT LET THE LID AND SCANNER LID GO COMPLETELY BACK !!!!!!

2. I took and old cheap bendable dinner fork and bent backwards all of the tines except one (when you stick this in to the battery you dont want the tines to hit the IC board where the battery is )

on the tine that I left in place I put a 90 degree bend at the end about 3/16' long

3. take a sharp knife and carefully from the bottom of the battery raise the battery a little bit leaving it in its socket raise up about 1/4 inch

4. use needle nose pliers to get hold of the battery and pull it out - see directions at the first of this post

5. i used the one tine on the fork to hook and slightly pull out
the clip that holds the battery in - i think put the battery under the clip and pushed it into the socket

DO NOT BREAK OFF THE CLIP !!!!!!!! - Anonymous
Nice bit of work. Had problems on an HP7110 with clogged Magenta printhead. Tried HP's online solution for "IDS Error": http://h10025.www1.hp.com .....no luck. They don't even consider the possibility that the printhead may be clogged.
This advice worked perfectly.

Thanks

by tvcto on Oct 21, 2005 at 7:00am Add comment
Great Forum!
I have a D155Xi with what I suspect might be "the dreaded scanner error", mentioned on this forum.
Only couldn't find a link about what (if anything?) to do about it, or an explanation about what causes it?
In the beginnig I could just switch on/off a few times to get it going, but now it is completely stuck at this scanner error, and will do nothing.
I've been on Live support with HP, and done a number of tests and resets to no avail, and there is no support (or repair possibility) here in DK for this 1100$ (2 years ago here!)All in One that has done 1200 prints.
I will certainly need to do the cleaning procedures described here, if I can get it running again, since it has been out of use for 6 months now.
I had it apart once to see if I could see why it did not work, but did not know what to look for, and consequently found nothing suspect.
Really need to know if there is anything to do, so I can either use it or throw it away.

by hmeyer on Dec 12, 2005 at 6:35am Add comment
could you be more specific as to how to take the printhead apart, I would like to do it with out breaking the printhead. I have pulled on the short tube like object without success. It seems if you get this part off the top will open, I just dont know the secret to get that part off. There seems to be a rail that this short round object rides on but as I stated before I just can't get it to slide down off the rail, I'm afraid to break it HELP !!!
Thanks;
Baar - Anonymous
Re d135 scanner failure problem. I removed the terminals of the auto document feeder and now I can copy and scan again without any more problems. Once I have time I will check out what the problem is with the circuitry so that I can use again my document feeder.
To remove the terminals; first switch off the printer, then raise and remove the auto document feeder cover. On the side you will find a black cover, unscrew the screw and remove the cover. You will then find two white terminals. Just take them out, put the covers back and switch on your printer.

Hope to have solved the problem
by unknown on Feb 18, 2006 at 9:38am Add comment
I'd like to express my gratitude to the people on this thread. Specifically ALFA. Your great find of removing the terminals to deal with "scanner failure" problem works indeed for my old d135.
Great work guys!
- Anonymous
GREAT INFO!! Thanks for posting, worked wonderfully on my D125 too! Removed the battery, had to "reboot" the printer once or twice before I could get rid of the "Black cartridge not installed" error. Thanks for posting.
by Anonymous on Feb 18, 2006 at 4:53pm Add comment
Thanks for all the help in cleaning the print heads. It fixed 'most' of my printing problems.

But I continue to get an error message about a bad black(pentagon) print head. I cleaned it the same as the others, and then re-cleand it two more times. But, still get the error message.

During one of the tests or cleaning choices under the maintance menu it will print some things in black. But ONLY for that test. A regulat print test page or other any other documents print a blank page if it is only black.

Using a small flashlight, I looked around inside where the in tanks/heads park, and I noticed that under where the heads park at there are small felt or foam pads of some sort. EXCEPT, where the black print head parks. It is missing! Any ideas on where to get a replacment pad or how to fabricate one???
by unknown on Apr 11, 2006 at 10:41am Add comment
RE: HP 7130xi all in one. I'm doing an ink level gauge override. Manual instruction says 1) Press back and front arrow at same time, then release 2) Press in order 7,8,9 for black and 4,5,6 for color 3) Prompt appears asking if you want to override ink level gauge, press 1 for yes, 2 for no. PROBLEM: When doing instruction 1), date wouldnt appear on LCD. On 2), after pressing number sequence for color choice, it just keeps on blinking and would prompt 3) above. I've done the power cycle shutdown and restart advised by HP as well as semi-full and full reset. I tried a number of times override instruction process but no success. Can anyone please HELP!!!
by FedUp2 on Apr 18, 2006 at 5:26pm Add comment
Excellant site and information. Thank you all who've contributed their experience and fixes.

Since the d135 is similiar to the d145 I've read all "scanner failure" posts with great attention.
* I removed the two white terminals as suggested by 'alfa' - problem still exists
* I tried cycling the power in different ways as suggested by another poster - problem still exists

After searching other HP forums, "Scanner Failure" appears to be a very common problem among many HP products that provide scanner/copier/fax capability.

HP, if you're reading this post then you should expect another class action suit. I've documented over ten printer models with complaints about "Scanner Failure" and all agree that HP support...DOES NOTHING TO SUPPORT.

Thanks to sites like this where the consumers get together to solve the manufactures problems - unfortunately, our solutions enable HP to limit their support...dilema
by unknown on May 13, 2006 at 3:20pm Add comment
Another frustrated user of the d145.

Have had excellent results with HP printers in past (HP III that would not die). The d145 is worthless. Have spent 1,000s of $ in time and consumables (print heads) and ink cartridges. Now, the scanner decides to quit. Have not got it to work for several weeks. Am trying the suggestions on this site.

Thanks for all that everyone has contributed.

Is there anyone at HP listening? If your printer customers leave, what will you have? - unknown
This is to express my thanks to the individual/s who provided tip to overcome the "supply expired" malfuctionof HP 7130 printer. Thanks also to Google for this web site. I just want to emphasize that the process is much easier than it seems - you don't have to be any kind of expert. Just for the uninitiated: Raise the printer cover just like you will do to replace an ink cartridge (but please don't touch the cartridge at all). Peep inside with a flash light to the interior left end of the printer where you will see a printed circuit board. Look to the left end of this board to find a round silver colored metallic battery with its + terminal visible. There is a clip pressing against the battery which acts as the positive lead. Please DO NOT remove the battery or anything else. Slide a thin insulated sheet of material (such as a thin credit card) under the clip breaking the circuit to the battery. Wait about a minute and then remove the plastic sheet you had inserted. Close the cover and enjoy another 18 trouble-free months of your printer!
by iitm70 on Jul 16, 2006 at 12:31pm Add comment
One more specific thank you, to "iitm70" above for the even quicker fix on the "supply expired" issue. One slight addition: as someone without experience with these batteries or opening up computers, it took me a while to find the battery. Once I saw it, though, it was obvious, and it does indeed say "3V" on it, as well as, in my case, "Panasonic." It's about an inch in diameter. I followed her/his instructions and I'm quite grateful to be back in business. - unknown
Thank you so much for posting this answer to the Date Expired message on dated carts in the 7130. It took me a long time to find a way to do this and your method worked.

Thanks a lot,
dlt123 - Anonymous
Well crap. I am no dummy when it comes to computers - but the printer errors drive me up a wall. I have a HP office jet 7130 all-in-one.....I read this post hoping that someone was having the same problem as I am - and would be able to help me fix mine. When powering up = I get the self test message then all the lights start blinking. No operations at all. Even when I open the unit to access the ink cartridges, The carrier stays parked on the right side of the unit. It's like there is no power turned on to the unit. I know there is - all the lights blink - any ideas - besides buying a new one?
by unknown on Jul 21, 2006 at 8:19am Add comment
I've got a 7130. I had a lot of trouble with lights flashing and not printing right. It would sound like it was stripping gears. It would do all kinds of crazy things. The last thing it done was knock 3 or 4 teeth of the rod that gave the paper the final kick out of the machine. I had a USB 1 extension that the printer was hooked up to. I didn't change anything in the computer at that time. But I got a USB 2 extension and and got on HP site to check the printer out. I think the big problem was the USB extension. I don't have any trouble with it at all. Except when it goes to give the paper the final kick out of the michine. You have to pull the paper out all of the way or the paper a lot of times will smash. I'm in the proscess of trying to find the part with the teeth to fix that problem. Other then that the thing works perfect. If your running off of a USB extension you might try hooking straight to your PC. Hope this helps you out. - Anonymous
Doonda - Sounds like you have a hardware failure which could be the main printed circuit (PC) board or other problem. Unlikely that you can diagnose this yourself. You might try chatting w/ HP tech support online -www.hp.com
They offer "service Programs" i.e. out of warranty replacement which might be better price than buying new replacement - I just did this for a friend with a 7310xi doing the same thing.
Hope this helps... - Anonymous
You're not a genius......
Every smart printer tech do that.
by Anonymous on Mar 11, 2005 at 7:59am Add comment
This guy actually took the time to answer all the questions that I have. The A$$clown who responed above is an idiot, were's all not "printer techs" moron. Some of us out here want information, that's easy to understand and get to the bottom of. If you research other forums, you'll see there are tons of questions and answers on how to do both. Get a life, and leave this guy alone, atleast he's trying to help, what are you doing today?
- Brian - Anonymous
I've been a professional computer/printer technician for over 10 years. Albert Einstein said something of this nature...I don't need to know everything, I just need to know where to find it. The person that generously donated his time and experience to share with all has provided me with valuable knowledge of resetting the CMOS to clear the color ink error that I'm experiencing. So Mr. "you're not a genius" make an apology! Cordially, Jeff - Anonymous
Hey,
This is a rule:
If you're a dilettante in this field don't touch any printer with a problem. Do you fix your car if it has any problem. It's one of the reasons why HP build a lot disposable printer for you DA.
by Anonymous on Mar 11, 2005 at 9:18am Add comment
Ummm...yeah...A lot of us DO fix our cars when they have a problem. Watch out. You might break a nail.

Hey, guy. Thanks for the instructions. A guy on ebay is selling this for $5. HUH! - unknown
Don't know about you DA, but new that printer (the D135 is around 450 - 550.00) I would love to come work for you where 500.00USD is disposable as you said. Myself, I would work on my own printer/car for something small, like ink and batteries, an idiot can fix that stuff... just my 2 cents.
by Anonymous on Mar 11, 2005 at 9:35am Add comment
Just say HP thanks for this price.
10 years ago a prise of HP Laserjets were more than 1K and 90\% of them still works.
How long will work your printer. You get what you pay for. "Profit" instead of "quality" has become the way of life.
Good luck.
by Anonymous on Mar 11, 2005 at 9:44am Add comment
Well done . This is agood piece of research and helped me a lot. Could you please tell me how to open up the D135 printer to clean the ink box inside. I hav been able to get the scanner box off but cannot remove the side plasitc panels.

thank
by unknown on Mar 23, 2005 at 10:15am Add comment
Many thanks for your most excellent information. I followed your suggestion with this one addition. I shorted the battery contacts after removal (with unplugged printer) to discharge any residual components, re-inserted the battery, replaced the hinge pins, powered back up and was printing with the refilled cartridges in 10 minutes. Since I am a computer service rep, and not a printer specialist, printer information like this, especially valid information, is always something I can use.
Good work.
by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2005 at 8:16am Add comment
I followed your directions but when I elect 'color calibration'only yellow prints. When I select 'align printheads' I get an error msg telling me to check magneta. I ahve, it's seated. What next?
by unknown on Apr 5, 2005 at 10:39pm Add comment
Thanks,

you are a genius! And the Anon guy above, well he obviously works for HP!!!

BTW. I used the shorting method, and reset in 10 mins!

Thanks again all.
by Anonymous on Apr 16, 2005 at 2:12am Add comment
before you take out the hinges, first remove the feeder.
when you lift the feeder you will notice 2 plugs in front of the hinges, pull out the plugs, now you can remove the feeder.
by unknown on Apr 16, 2005 at 3:15am Add comment
This was incredibly helpful! It worked! Thanks.
by unknown on Apr 16, 2005 at 12:53pm Add comment
Folks,
There is a code and a procedure for entering that code that will disable the hp d135 from bothering to check the fill level to the serial of the tanks, which effectively disables the hp from stopping the use of refilled tanks? It will always report a zero level in the ink level and you'll need to pay attention to refilling the tanks before they actually do go dry and ruining(or simply clogging?) the heads. I don't know if the code has any use other than the proceduree outlined here but if it helps....

I've entered it into my d135 and have been able to refill all of the tanks numerous times without issue, always refilling as the ink lightened up rather than waiting. I'm going to try this cleaning procedure as I'm getting an IDS error, which I expect will fix it.

If I can find the code and procedure(there are actually several codes that do other useful things)I will post it here, or perhaps someone already has the reference.

Thanks for the very useful info..
by unknown on May 10, 2005 at 9:13am Add comment
Here is an "official" writeup on the care and feeding =
h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=64986&lang=e n&cc=us&docname=bpa02107
(If you copy to your browser address, this is a long entry, starting with= http:// ... and ending with bpa02107)
Or if the link is broken by the time you try it, the title of the article is = "HP Officejet D and 7100 Series and HP cp1160 Printers with HP 14 Printheads - No Printhead or Bad Printhead Error Messages" which you should be able to Google.

A good writeup on disabling the ink level checking may be found here=
Overriding the ink level gauge:
www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/resettingthehpC5010A5011A.htm l

And again, I appreciate the inexpensive printer from HP, as well as the high quality, usefull information from the user community.

Robert M
by RobertM on May 10, 2005 at 11:54am Add comment
Hey, I just wanted to thank you for posting the "HP Officejet D and 7100 Series and HP cp1160 Printers with HP 14 Printheads - No Printhead or Bad Printhead Error Messages" link. I followed the directions to the letter and I am back to good!

Thanx again : )
robyn~ - Anonymous
What is a good refill kit for the D135?
by msu94 on May 23, 2005 at 12:17pm Add comment
Quote "JET SIDE DOWN ON THE TOWEL". Which side is this? Please describe and thanks for your time.
by dunz on Jun 3, 2005 at 2:20pm Add comment
Well I have cleaned the printheads, the color ones bled quite a bit, but not much from the Black.

It give me an error message that the black ink is bad, but I bought a new black cartridge a couple months ago. It will not try and do any cleaning or aligning, lcd indicates it will, then a second later, it goes back to the time display. Does not try and print at all, although it would at least try before doing the printhead cleaning
by msu94 on Jun 10, 2005 at 12:39pm Add comment
Did a full reset, took out the battery for a while, also did the reset method mentioned on the HP website. Also cleaned that sensor on the inside of the printer too.

However it still does the same thing, telling me my new black ink cartridge is at zero percent, and the "black ink bad" error. Wont try to align or clean either.

by msu94 on Jun 10, 2005 at 5:02pm Add comment
**** Brilliant

Ta
by unknown on Jun 24, 2005 at 5:58pm Add comment
Need help. I don't understand this:

"AS WE ALL KNOW THERE ARE 4 PRINT HEADS, AND THE DON'T LAY FLAT TO EXPOSE ALL THE INKJETS

"the don't lay flat"?

I PUT TAPE BETWEEN 2 SETS (what tape and where?), TO GET THEM TO HAVE MAX INKJET EXPOSURE, THEN SET 2 - 3 LBS OF WEIGHT ON THEM. (Do you put the book on top of the print head themeselves?)
by unknown on Jun 29, 2005 at 11:19am Add comment
The other day, I found a black printhead for the D135 on clearance for six and change at Office Depot. There clearance merchandise can vary, but give it a try. It rang up in their system at that price, so maybe even if it is on the rack, have it scanned.
by msu94 on Jul 1, 2005 at 3:15pm Add comment
Thanks for the printhead cleaning instructions - a one-day soak in windex restored a magenta printhead that had been dead for over year.
by unknown on Jul 11, 2005 at 6:57am Add comment
Try just swishing the nozzles, (part the ink sprays out of), in warm water for a minute and then blotting them on a folded paper towel.
by Stephen on Jul 11, 2005 at 7:38am Add comment
Idot, whatever you do dont pry the battery out with anything, this does fix your failure by removing the battery, but you will end up breaking the the battery clip, like this idot broke his hinges, gently take twisters and slowly pull battery up, THANkS for helping me break my battery clip......No more back up memory on my printer. IDOT
by me on Jul 12, 2005 at 5:34pm Add comment
Hey Me,
next time you try to call someone else an idiot, watch your spelling. This guy obviously did not break his battery clip, because he was smart enough to realize it was there and pry gently.

You must have been at this page looking for info on how to fix your printer, did you find it?

Your the Idiot, yes, there is a second I in Idiot - Anonymous
IDOT? you mean Idiot? you have the audacity call someone else stupid? - Anonymous
It's spelled "You're" if you mean you are.
by Stephen on Jul 18, 2005 at 7:17am Add comment
I think he was referring to himself as Idiot?

But, if not, Hey! Everyone's just trying to help!
by Anonymous on Jul 18, 2005 at 8:27am Add comment
Well I think my D135 is officially resurrected now. It now prints, with the replacement black cartridge, and also the cleaning of the color print heads. It might need a few more cleaning cycles to officially get the color completely to normal, and maybe a new cartrdige, but it is printing.
by msu94 on Jul 22, 2005 at 2:03pm Add comment
so i'm trying to clean my printheads to no avail. the cyan was working for a while and now the printer reports it's bad again. i actually think that the "Clean Printheads" function of the officejet is contributing to the problem. There is a tray on the right hand side that has two rubber tabs that slide back and forth across the jet. those are covered in old dry ink. I cannot seem to figure out how to take those out to verify. Anyone experience something similar? Anyone know where I can get a copy of the service manual?
by unknown on Jul 23, 2005 at 3:23pm Add comment
I used windex around in there to clean up.

Anyone have any experience with the remanufactured cartridges on ebay? How is the color?
by msu94 on Jul 26, 2005 at 10:51am Add comment
Do you think this ammonia soaking fix would work on the black printhead of an Officejet 7130xi ?
by Anonymous on Aug 2, 2005 at 9:59am Add comment

How many of you have seen this?

http://www.alotofthings.com/
Hewlett Packard Cartridge Lawsuit
You have heard about the lawsuit against HP regarding cartridges that are allegedly programmed to fail prematurely. Here is the link for the sign-up if you feel you have been cheated by prematurely expired cartridges.
Register your Hewlett Packard Ink Cartridge Case
by Anonymous on Aug 3, 2005 at 6:12pm Add comment
Folks,
My d135 has plastic tabs shaped like little arrows on the bottom of those cover hinges. I used the tip about the pull-the-tabs on the scanner cover posted above and was able to pull the scanner cover off completely and cleanly.

Then I pried those arrow-shaped tabs back a tad with a finger, just enough to help the hinge slide by and released the bottom of that inward-folding hinge from one side, repeated it on the other hinge and Voila! both hinges were completely free from their bases and the top cover folded cleanly and safely back without the scanner or anything else in the way. When I went to re-assemble I slid the hinges back into their bases until the hinge clicked back into place.

Also, I used a business card to slide between the battery and its top contact arm-piece-thing. This should work, No? As long as the battery isn't in play I can leave it in, shorted out of the circuit, and wait for the hour to go by to discharge any left over charge in the electronics and that should do the trick.
by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2005 at 9:43am Add comment
Folks,
A quick guide to what is posted on the link above about entering codes to disable ink-level checking. There's other useful stuff but here's a quick guide for that.

The menu has to be at its default display, press "cancel" until it displays just the date/time display.

Press the left-arrow and right-arrow keys at the same time. The display will go blank, then type in 789 on the keypad, it will ask "Disable Ink-level checking 1-Yes 2-No". Press 1 on the keypad and it will disable Black Ink Level Checking.

Press the right-arrow and left-arrow at the same time again and then enter 456, it will prompt "Disable color ink level checking, 1-Yes, 2-No". Press 1 and it will disable ink-level checking for the color cartidges.

by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2005 at 9:51am Add comment
I have pushed my HP Officejet D135 to its limit and it keeps on chugging... and yes, I do refill my carts..

Originally I purchased it used (off ebay) and added a duplexer. No problems thus far, 2,000 pages later it stops printing and I decide to replace the printheads (lol, again used) and it takes right off... now 10,000 pages later its print quality is dropping. I cleaned the printheads using my own method (pretty close to whats written above) and MOST problems have been fixed, except when I print text - it looks a bit blocky/grainy... any ideas... I am going to order new printheads/carts anyway being this printer has been a workhorse for me and my business
by Wayfarer on Aug 11, 2005 at 7:07am Add comment
I just re-filled my ink carts and installed them. Now I getting a message that the "color ink is bad." any ideas what to do?
by jimsimm on Aug 12, 2005 at 1:58pm Add comment
You are a good man.
by Anonymous on Aug 20, 2005 at 1:42pm Add comment
I get a scanner error message at least every day!
I have to turn on/off the machine 3-4 times, then it goes away!
How do you switch to use xp's scanner software, and does this have an effect on the other functions of the d135?
thanx
by Anonymous on Aug 24, 2005 at 1:47pm Add comment
"How do you switch to use xp's scanner software, and does this have an effect on the other functions of the d135?"

Go to START, ACCESSORIES, then click on Scanner and Camera Wizard. Doesn't have any other effect on any functions of the paperweight -- I mean the d135. I only did it once, but it worked without getting an error message. I only put 4 or 5 pages in the feeder, sometimes I don't get a scanner error message unless I put in more but it did work once and I'll continue using it this way as long as it seems to work. Good luck.
by jimsimm on Aug 24, 2005 at 2:09pm Add comment
Nevermind, just tried faxing again using the windows xp scanner tool and got the error message.
by jimsimm on Aug 24, 2005 at 2:56pm Add comment
So, is the final answer that the unavailable bulb is out (from a previous comment)?

Also, I went on chat with the HP help techs. One of them said that this malfunction qualified for an "upgrade" discount. Any idea how to access that program? I didn't find it on their web site. I may have to go back on chat to ask them. - Anonymous
First of all, just a note of sincere gratitude to the original poster... He went through all his trials and tribulations, took notes, and shared ALL, including his missteps. HOW BEAUTIFUL IS THAT??? Generosity like that, nowadays especially, is somewhat rare, and I applaud it, loud applause, two thumbs up, 5 stars!

And, yes, it was hilarious that the angry idiot couldn't spell the word idiot. A CLASSIC, and MAJOR LOLs!!! Peace to all, God bless us all. (personally, I use WORD to check my spelling! HA!)
===============================================================
Disabling or resetting the C5010A & C5011A ink Level Indicators.
(HP #14 ink cartridges)

Overriding the ink level gauge is a method developed by Hewlett Packard for those who wish to refill or use recycled ink jet cartridges.
We recommend viewing your HP owners manual for your particular model to determine the best method for you particular model and firmware version. Information on disabling ink level gauge can be found either in your owners manual or can be downloaded from Hewlett Packard web site. (www.hp.com).
For printer models not listed below please refer to your owners manual for disabling/overriding ink level gauge.

Refilled ink cartridges:
To install a refilled HP ink cartridge, you must override the Ink Level Gauge.

HP INK JET MULTI-FUNCTIONS D125 / D135 / D145 / D155
Overriding the Ink Level Gauge disables the printer’s ink level tracking feature, but allows you to use a refilled cartridge.

Caution! If you use the override sequence described below, you will disable the Ink Level Gauge for your ink cartridge. If you choose to continue printing with an ink cartridge that has had its Ink Level Gauge disabled, you will not know when the cartridge is running low or empty. Printing with an empty cartridge may seriously damage your print heads. Damage that results from continued use of an ink cartridge with a disabled Ink Level Gauge is not the responsibility of Hewlett-Packard. Damage that results from the use of non-HP ink is not the responsibility of Hewlett-Packard.

The Ink Level Gauge is automatically reset when a different ink cartridge is installed in the printer. Overriding the Ink Level Gauge does not affect ink cartridge expiration dates. The printer cannot use an expired ink cartridge.

Follow these steps to override the Ink Level Gauge:
To override the ink level gauge for the black ink cartridge
1 On the keypad press LEFT ARROW and RIGHT ARROW at the same time, then release.
2 On the keypad, press in order, 7, 8, 9.
3 When the prompt appears asking if you want to override the ink level gauge, press 1 for Yes, or 2 for No.

To override the ink level gauge for the tri-color ink cartridge
1 On the keypad press LEFT ARROW and RIGHT ARROW at the same time, then release.
2 On the keypad, press in order, 4, 5, 6.
3 When the prompt appears asking if you want to override the ink level gauge, press 1 for Yes, or 2 for No.

Always install an ink cartridge before performing an Ink Level Gauge override.

To restore factory defaults
You can restore the original factory settings to what they were when you purchased your HP OfficeJet. Choosing to restore your factory defaults restores all settings, except copy settings, speed-dial entries, date, and fax header information. You can perform this process from the front panel only.

1 Press Menu.
2 Press 7, then press 5. This selects the Status and Maintenance menu, then selects the Restore Factory Defaults option. The factory default settings are restored.

by Gerald Dunham on Aug 24, 2005 at 6:07pm Add comment
Yes disabling the ink readouts is doable...the directions are right in the d135 manual from HP.....but beware.....

you need to refill religiously or you'll dry out the print heads...I've done that 4 times! and they cost more!...and I can't figure out how to fix'em!

They've got a tiny bag inside with spring loaded pincers squeezing the bag.....yes I took the little bastard apart!

The answer I think is to refill evrrything every 2-3 weeks, or buy discount cartridges!

- Anonymous
I am so glad that I chanced upon this site wh
by claudia752 on Aug 25, 2005 at 7:18am Add comment
I discovered the problem with the print heads drying out also. I only tried this tonight, but so far so good. I took the syringe that came with my refill system and dripped some ink down on the circular rubber "thingy" on top of the print head assembly. I then gently pressed down on the rubber part. When I pushed down on the rubber part I could see the ink disappear. I probably dripped about 1 ml or less ink. I wore gloves and was careful to gently wipe off the top so as not to spill any ink. I made sure the ink supply sponge was moist and put everything back together. It worked great. The printer no longer says damaged print head. Hope it lasts.
Claudia
by claudia752 on Sep 1, 2005 at 7:55pm Add comment
The person who gave instructions is a nice guy - thanks to him we can do maintenance and repairs! Thanks for the posting the info.
by unknown on Sep 7, 2005 at 11:40am Add comment
WOW, Can't wait to take apart the print head. I got so frustrated with trying to make the black one work that I ordered a new one. As soon as it arrives I will take apart the old one and see what I can find. I am having some trouble with the color heads because I don't print every day and they are drying out.
I thought I had beaten the problem when I dripped some ink directly into the print head, but it only worked for a short time.
Thanks for posting this information.

by claudia752 on Sep 8, 2005 at 7:02am Add comment
I tried the overnight soak -- didn't work -- then I took a coffee mug - filled it with hot water and put the ink head in -- did this about 2 or 3 times (each time filling with fresh water) -- it worked! The head now pumps ink and the pages look fine --- so soak the heads -- dry them off and print your stuff.

- Anonymous
I tried the overnight soak -- didn't work -- then I took a coffee mug - filled it with hot water and put the ink head in -- did this about 2 or 3 times (each time filling with fresh water) -- it worked! The head now pumps ink and the pages look fine --- so soak the heads -- dry them off and print your stuff.
by Anonymous on Sep 10, 2005 at 1:20pm Add comment
Taking the cartridge apart is not only difficult, but messy as well. Before you do so, perhaps you should try the simple approach to repairing clogged heads. You simply fill a shallow dish with hot water. Swish the bottom of the cartridge around in the water and then blot it dry with a paper towel.
by moe on Sep 10, 2005 at 1:56pm Add comment
Hi everybody, I tried de windex soak method but it didn't work, could you tell me how long I have to put the print heads in hot water? then, inmediately, can I use the printer?.

Nobody talks about the other ink parts of the printer, They don't need any cleaning? when I close the cover of the print heads I see only the blue and black ink cartridge contacts (the little rounded heads) pumping out ink. BUT! my print report has no black at all!!!

P.D and of course I have the "IDS Failure" in all of my printheads - Anonymous
I know that taking the printhead apart is messy because it has ink but when using refills the ink might not be that good and it might clog the nozzles from the inside....
I have tried everything and the only thing that worked was to take the printheads apart and clean them thoroughly on both sides, inside and outside.
Still, this whole treatment should be used only as a last resort, since it is complicated and also could be messy if you have not done it before. Also it is not a procedure for those not so technically inclined.
by odoboy on Sep 10, 2005 at 4:22pm Add comment
I have an Officejet 7130 with a bad magenta printhead. Tried soaking it in hot water. So far no luck. I've had the printer for about 3 years and this is the first printhead problem. Do the prinntheads ever go bad? Maybe it truly needs to be replaced. Oh, also have to let you know that my husband took the printer to a shed at the Pop Warner football field and left it there (in locked shed overnight) for weeks to make copies of football registrations. He returned it with the printhead problem. So thinking it's a dust or clog issue, but have had the printer for quite sometime. In short, do printheads legitimately wear out, or can they always be cleaned or unclogged?
by unknown on Sep 13, 2005 at 5:51pm Add comment
I've got the same machine that you have. I had trouble with a print head. I took it out and put it back in. It worked for a while. Then it wouldn't work anymore. It was the Yellow one. A new one from HP site, if I remember right was about $35. You might make sure you have your color of ink left in the ink cartridge. As long as I Had the machine. I only had one to go bad. HP 7130. - Anonymous
Let me tell you how my printheads treatment is going, I boiled water in the microwave 3 times and soak the printheads in separate containers for about 5 to 10 minutes each time. The color printheads improve a lot (almost perfect) but I'm still having the IDS Failure in my report for all the printheads and no black at all. All the color printheads release ink when they were under the hot water, I got Cyan, Magenta and Yellow water but the Black got dried in the first soak. Anybody can help me please!!!?
[email protected]
by jaimejdv on Sep 13, 2005 at 6:23pm Add comment
Try soaking the head in streight amonia! don't put anything in boiling water - this can rupture or cause corruption to the glue that welds the material together. - Anonymous
Answers to question from this beautiful thread

Q. Do printheads actually need to be replaced at some time?
A. Yes. The heaters that fire the ink drops will eventually wear out. But it can last a long time - expect 200 to 700 ml.
Black lasts longer than color, the nozzles are bigger. (pigment based ink)

A black printhead is more difficult to save. The ink is pigment based and not dye like the colours. If it dries out in the nozzles, it forms a solid residu.

If you run a printhead dry, you will ruin it.
1. air get ingested in the printhead, air bubbles will obstruct the flow of ink.
2. the heater elements are so tiny that when not submerged in ink to cool them, they will simply burn out. That is something that can not be fixed by soaking in windex for a thousand years :-)
by Anonymous on Sep 14, 2005 at 1:49am Add comment
Soaking the print heads in amonia has brought new life back to this printer. I was about ready to throw it out. There is no way I could have donated it to anyone since it was down to using just the cyan print head.

This is after having always made sure the ink supply did not run out. I was so disqusted I was never going to buy another hp printer and may still not unless I can be shown before hand they can't be this easily damaged.

The black print head is still steaking so I've gone to completely immersing it. If the last post is any indication, I might have to sping for a new black print head. I'm not going to operate on it because for 30 dollars it isn't worth that much of my time.

I didn't have to short out the battery terminals to get it to stop claiming the print heads were bad, but I did do a #9 reset. That seemed to work for me.

One tip. While I had the print head out I just left the ink tank carriage assembly (name?) open and in the center of the printer. After about 5 minutes it decided to go ahead and store them to the right as it usually does, but the print head door was still open. It began thrashing trying to get that assembly in there, gears were grinding, I figured it was ruined. Now why in the heck it does this I have no idea! The print heads weren't even in it! Fortunately it doesn't seem to have damaged anything at least in the immediate term.
by Anonymous on Sep 14, 2005 at 9:59am Add comment
OK, soaked the magenta printhead in boiled water -- no help, soaked in ammonia for 2 hours -- no help. I get magenta water each time. Still get bad printhead error. Does anyone know what the firmware printhead error patch is at
http://h10025.www1.hp.com
Should I create a restore point, download this and try it, and if not restore? Or should I just go buy a new magenta printhead?

Thanks,
peamom
by unknown on Sep 14, 2005 at 3:16pm Add comment
When I had the printer open and the print head out, the machine tried to move the carriage to the right also. Makes a lot of noise. Then up came a message that said your print head is stalled. This message is on the computer screen. I almost panicked because this stalled message had haunted me for months and months. I was afraid it was backkkkkkk. And of course I couldn't remember what voodoo finally made it go away the first time. But all was well as soon as I closed the lid.
I have given up on being able to restore the print heads. I have purchased a black one and now a red one. I was so frustrated that I just decided that 30.00 wasn't worth my sanity.
I was able to find a web site that sold them for 30.10 each with free shipping. FYI databazaar.com I have received the black one already and it is a new hp print head.

Claudia
by claudia752 on Sep 14, 2005 at 7:31pm Add comment
I have some non working D135 &D145 printers lying around. Tell me how to get to the bulb and I'll send you one.
by Anonymous on Sep 18, 2005 at 3:15pm Add comment
I tried to do a reset using 6+7 as mentioned above to see what would happen. The machine did its self test then powered up on its own. I saw several things go by on the LCD screen, among which was to clear the Fax Number list. Fortunately I don't have any fax numbers stored in the printer.

I always thought the reset number were just:

#3 reset
#6 Semi-full reset
#9 Full reset

As is posted in http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/16879
by Anonymous on Sep 25, 2005 at 6:50am Add comment
On inkjet replacement kits for the d135 they keep saying you must fill the cartridges while they are in the printer!

Why in the world would you have to do this? I've just order a refill kit and have no intention of doing it this way.

I've kept the last old cartridges and plan on swapping them with the ones in the printer. I don't see how this can break anything.
by Anonymous on Sep 25, 2005 at 7:15am Add comment
The refill kit that I got, and the one I've used for two years, says to remove the carts and turn them upside down and drip the ink into the outlet. That's what I've been doing and it's easy and works fine.
- jimsimm
I will do that as well. Since its just a sponge inside it shouldn't matter how it gets filled, but I will fill them slowly so the air has time to come out.

Swapping the cartridges should reset the print level indicator every time. I will verify that once I start doing it.

I am the one above who tried to soak the black print head entirely in amonia. I would not recommend total immersion. The printer no longer prints black at all, yet does not claim the print head is bad.

Instead it appears to use color ink to simulate black somehow but it isn't very good. Another oddity is that it won't print the alignment page anymore, it just spits out a blank sheet of paper.

I have a new black print head coming and hope that will resolve some of this.
by Anonymous on Sep 25, 2005 at 3:58pm Add comment
Got the old black print head working with another mild soak, and printing a black primer sheet. (I wish they had primer sheets that just printed the top 2 inches of the page, that seems to be sufficient). But every day I had to prime it again as the black was washed out for the first few lines.

The new black print head arrived and I installed that one and it works great. No need to print primer sheets with this one.

The alignment page now prints and the colors are printed sharply. The color print head are still working like new after having done the 1/2 inch amonia soak with them. What a great tip this was. My printer now works like brand new.
by Anonymous on Sep 26, 2005 at 8:36pm Add comment
First thanks Dexfurax for taking the time to post sustinct instructions.

I get my ink from these folks:
http://www.padiscountink.com/aboutink.asp

These folks sell a replacement chips that are resettable when you refill them.

www.thinktankuk.com
http://thinktankuk.com/

email from oct 2004.

Many thanks for your enquiry. We would quote these at £3.15 each for the chips and £24 for the resetter. This is about $5.70 and $43. This includes shipping by air mail.

If you would like to go ahead with the chips, I can accept most credit cards, but not Amex. You can either reply to this email with your card details, or if you would prefer, fax them to +44 1673 862176. ----Dave
by unknown on Oct 1, 2005 at 12:31pm Add comment
I read your write up on how to clean print heads on a d135. I get a "printhead bad" screen when I try to print. Is that an IDS error message. After I put a new cart. in it will print one or two pages, and then slowly go to blank. New cart., same thing. When I pull out the printhead, do I need to keep the cart. covered or put something over the port to prevent drying of the cart. . You said to do a *3*5 test page. I'm an idiot , how. I input *3*5 and get nothing. Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Jim
by torchandregdoc on Oct 5, 2005 at 2:17pm Add comment
Jim,
First you are NOT an idiot. I have no clue what a *3*5 test page is either so I just use the align printhead page (found under maintenance). After you soak the printhead and reinstall you should realign the printheads anyway.
As for the cartridge drying out, if you are only going to soak the printhead for a short time, the cartridge will be fine. I just close up the printhead home, because if you don't the printer will automatically try to return the ink/printhead assembly to it's resting position and will make a HORRIBLE noise trying to do this. (I soaked a printhead over night and the cartridge did just great)
I have tried most of the suggestions on this board and had only temporary luck. If your colors are working fine, DO NOT soak them to improve the flow. When you print the alignment sheet you will be able to tell if the colors are OK by checking the square boxes of color that print. If they are square with sharp edges and highly colored your print head is OK. If it is starting to go bad you will see part of the square is less intense and the edges will be blurry. (each color prints seperately on the edge of the paper)
Good luck and if you have further questions feel free to post again.
Claudia
Any day above ground is a good day! - claudia752
In the instructions is mentioned to remove the battery! The easier method is put a business card between the battery and the + clip. The thin card can be easy installed and removed!

I’m trying at the moment the instruction socking the printer heads in 10\% ammoniac 90\% water to unclothe them. With full anticipation wait on the result! We should be grateful to HP delivering this kind of crap printer to the market. Give you a new hobby:(

by unknown on Oct 7, 2005 at 1:35am Add comment
I have a 7130xi with poor printing. I've owned it about two years. Now, I am getting the "replace print head" message for two colors, and the other two colors are showing some of the same signs of failure - with lines in the printed blocks during the "print test page" (I suspect they will also need replacing soon). I have recently purchased two spare (new) black and color cartridges for my printer - quite an investiment!

My question is this - with printers costing less and less these days, is it a wise decision to invest in four new printheads - for a two year old printer, or better to buy a new printer?

Also, is there a recommended way to repair the printheads? Or, is it best to avoid this?

Thanks

Don
by Don Jones on Oct 16, 2005 at 9:58am Add comment
You may be able to recover a clogged print head by swishing the tip in a saucer with a very small amount of warm water, then gently wiping it on a wet paper towel, be careful, the nozzles are delicate.

Consider why printers are getting cheaper and cheaper, it's not because they are making them better and better.
by Stephen on Oct 16, 2005 at 10:20am Add comment
"Consider why printers are getting cheaper and cheaper, it's not because they are making them better and better."

-- that may be true, or may not be, but the fact remains, nothing could be made as poorly as this HP D135 and I'm so turned off by HP now that I wouldn't buy any HP printer. I'd buy a new printer rather than one that is going to have common printhead failures and very expensive ink cartridges. I recently upgraded to a new Epson printer that takes generic ink cartridges that you can buy for about $1.50 each! I got this $150 printer after coupon and rebate at Staples for less than $40! Good bye $30 HP Cartridges! - jimsimm
Thanks for your great tip. It worked perfectly and did not even take 20 minutes to do.

Keep up the good work. It is amazing how big companies will rip off the public and it can be corrected simply.

I would think it would be illegal for companies to get away with this type of stuff.

Thanks Again!
by unknown on Oct 17, 2005 at 11:53am Add comment
jimsimm:
Thank you for your comment about switching to Epson printers. I am very interested in switching too. Which printer were you refering to that uses generic printer cartridges for around $1.50? The model number woudl be helpful.
Don
by Anonymous on Oct 22, 2005 at 12:15am Add comment
odoboy's post worked an absolute treat on several of our printer's too -- despite suggestions from 'real techs' too. well done that man!
by ah on Oct 29, 2005 at 1:52pm Add comment
Don asked specifics about which epson printer I have that uses really cheap ink carts. I've had a CX3200 and a cx5400 both Epsons, both great machines in my opinion (no fax though) I also have now a canon multi-pass 100 -- or something like that, I can't recall the exact name. That one also takes ink carts that cost about $1.00 at www.megatoners.com -- the epson ink carts are currently $2 to $2.25 but they often have them on sale for $1.50 or less at megatoners. Keep an eye on the hot deals forums for good deals on inkjet printers. They usually involve coupons and rebates and sometimes price matching but it is not uncommon to get a decent printer for FREE after rebates and coupons or at least you can easily get one for under $40 or so with a little work. Try this link for inkjet printer deals: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/categories.php?catid=18 then check megatoners for the prices of ink once you find a good deal on a printer. I upgrade to a new printer AT LEAST once a year when I see a good free, or nearly free printer deal. My D135 I bought NEW for about $90 after rebates at Staples. This was a few years ago when they were going for about $400 if I recall. I only keep it around cause I use the fax often although that is going on me no so I may be trashing this one.

Good luck.
by jimsimm on Oct 31, 2005 at 6:52am Add comment
Okay, here's an example of a good deal on a printer that takes carts that cost about $2.25 each. Epson R420 photoprinter for about $37 after rebates, gift cards, coupons etc. It's a little work but you get a $180 printer pretty cheaply: http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/536976/
by jimsimm on Oct 31, 2005 at 12:14pm Add comment
jimsimm:
Thanks for the Epson printer info. I am really looking for a 4-in-1, or All in One, COLOR printer. Since I already invested in the 7130XI two years ago, and now am faced with the "replace print heads" issue, can you lead me in a better direction for a replacement?
Thanks
Don
by Don Jones on Nov 1, 2005 at 9:07am Add comment
I have a d135 office jet. It prints in color okay but if I do a color copy of a black & white page or color page, the background is all yellow and any color objects look wrong. The same think happens even if scanned into word or paint. Nothing to do with the ink when scanned so it is not a ink problem.
by rwyoung on Dec 5, 2005 at 9:03am Add comment
There must be something wrong with the optical pick-up device in the scanner, from what i can think of.
Don't really know what to recommend except taking the scanner apart and looking for anything unusual in that pick-up device. - odoboy
I have a simialar problem with my d135 as rwyoung. I just replaced the black printhead a few weeks ago and now when I print pics it makes cerain black elements of the pic look like gold flake. The only time it does this is if there is something nearly black in the pic and that part of the pic looks like the gold flake.
by torchandregdoc on Dec 5, 2005 at 6:24pm Add comment
Try and do a head alignment. It might help. The bad thing is that my printer initially was doing the alignment wrong and i ended up replacing the whole mechanism with a refurbished one and no problems since then.
by odoboy on Dec 7, 2005 at 11:50am Add comment
Thanks for this thread. I was able to get the magenta working again after following instructions. in fact, I didn't have to soak it, just used a q tip with hot water to clean off all contacts/screens

However, I am still having trouble with the yellow. I have had the Bad Printhead. Replace Yellow (Circle) Printhead message.

I have cleaned all contacts/screens. I bought a new color cartridge and a new yellow printhead. Absolutely no yellow ink comes out at all.

A couple of times, yellow ink came out for one pass of the printer, and nothing after that. Now no yellow ink comes out at all.

The printer works great for black and white. We have a feeder for multipage copies. I hate that I can't get this to work. It's been my obsession for some time now :( We can't afford a new printer.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Maida
www.thehealthymom.com
www.maida.net
by maidanet on Dec 8, 2005 at 9:40am Add comment
Please try this to get print heads going. Mine even said 'Disable-OV' on the test page.
1) turn off printer and wait a bit
2) hold down two buttons while turning on - octothorpe (#) and 7
3) wait about 5 minutes for this 'priming' to finish.

But I also had replaced the black and cyan printhead first. Then the other two reported not working. This process fixed all. - Bob_S
If you have replaced the yellow printhead then even without ink in the reservoir it should print yellow because the printhead contains enough ink to print for quite a while (i think 5ml).
So your problem is definately printhead/printhead cart related.
Just a shot in the dark....make sure you have cleaned the contacts in the cart and on the yellow cartridge because the yellow ink is almost invisible. Keep cleaning until the q-tip comes out clean.
Also, don't be insulted... but i've seen this happen to skilled people...make sure the protective plastic foil is off the printhead. I assume it's off since the printer recognizes the printhead but i've said it just to make sure...sometimes when we worry about complicated things we forget the basic ones.
Now, thinking about it a little more....you are saying you got SOME yellow ink out...when was this? after you put the new printhead in?
If so, then the ink passage from the ink reservoir is clogged and traps vacuum in the printhead instead of pulling ink, causing what you are describing.
If that is the case, you will have to take the yellow printhead out, put the latch back and remove the color ink reservoir. Locate the yellow drain pipe from the reservoir...there are only three of them and you can find out which is which.
Try and clean the surface of that and also put a drop of water right above the hole going through the tube and let it sit. Watch if ti starts going through. If it's not you can let it sit for a while to unclog the pipe. Here, pretty much, you have to use your common sense for uncloging a tiny pipe clogged with ink. Should not be too hard. You might want to put some folded paper towel instead of the yellow printhead, to trap the waer/ink drops coming out of the tube.
Also, VERY IMPORTANT, when you get the cartridges cart in the middle, UNPLUG THE PRINTER!! The stupid design in these makes them park the cart without checking anything and if your cart is open, bad things might happen.
Kepp us posted with the results and we'll go from there.
Odoboy.
by odoboy on Dec 9, 2005 at 8:49pm Add comment
Thanks for the reply!!! I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I found a lot of the things you mentioned by spending way too much time on it yesterday morning.

Here's where we are now.

I unplugged the machine and did a partial reset with 6#

When the machine came back on, I got a "Bad Printhead. Replace Magenta Printhead" message

And sure enough, the magenta won't print again.

More cleaning, unplugging and resetting, and the Bad Printhead message is gone. Got the magenta to come out, but only in streaks. I tried aligned and cleaned printheads with the printer software. Tried again...printing a block of solid 100\% magenta (according to photoshop)

I printed three pages of magenta and got streaks. Less and less magenta in each print.

See http://www.maida.net/clients/troubleshoot/d135printer.html for pictures of the printouts.

That's where I left it yesterday.

I'm not sure if I understand where the color ink reservoir and subsequently the drain pipe for each color would be. If I take the printhead out of the cart, there is just empty space beneath it.

We moved the color printer to our store yesterday (doesn't need color printing very often), so I don't have access to it right now, otherwise, I would take a digital picture to try and clarify. I'll see if I can get to the store this weekend and take photos.

Thanks again in advance for any advice on how to proceed.
by maidanet on Dec 10, 2005 at 8:17am Add comment
Ok...
What you are experiencing seems like clogged nozzles coupled maybe with the lack of ink in the printhead. You can search for one of my earlier posts on this thread on how to take the printhead apart, clean it and refill it with ink. If you do that, it will work for sure.
The pipe that i am talking about is going from the bottom of the ink reservoir (the ink cartridge) to the top of the printhead. The pipe is a part of the assembly that you lift to get the printhead out.
Keep us posted. - odoboy
Thanks Dexfurax for this Thread. I just got an expired cartridge to work that i won on Ebay after reading this thread i bid and it worked. The printhead cleaning is very good too, I will look into it but for now i just wiped my black printhead with a q-tip soaked in alcohol and bam prints clearly now. I didnt expect soo much trouble with this Hp printer though i have a 7130 officejet, ended up costing like 300 after haveing to buy the 4 printheads and inkz... Thanks for looking out Dex
by Anonymous on Dec 17, 2005 at 6:03pm Add comment
I get my refills from www.inksells.com. I'm on my third refill order from these people. The instructions are a little tricky but once you figure it out, it works great.
I would like to know if you can re-enable the ink gauge?
by unknown on Dec 18, 2005 at 12:36pm Add comment
I forgot to ask another question. The pins on my photo card on my d145 bent and broke off while inserting a photo card in the slot. Can you get this card anywhere?
by unknown on Dec 18, 2005 at 5:29pm Add comment
You should search fot HP spare parts and you will find a site

HP Spares Central is the National Spare Parts (trade parts) sales team. HP spares central supports HP Business Partners, Authorised Warranty Delivery ...
www.hp.com.au/sparescentral/

I hope they can help you. Maybe you have to contact a distributor/reseller. There are others too when you search the internet. - Anonymous
It sounds strange but I got a warning that all 3 color print heads of my D155 had to be changed. I decided to buy 3 new ones (which cost aridiculous 90 euro ($100) here in Holland) and to clean the old ones afterwards to keep them in stock (which I hope has sense). I already took an old one apart following instructions mentioned by some smart person. I did not expect that it takes such a long time to clean.
When I replaced the print heads for the new heads, the errormessage that I had to change the heads kept coming. Maybe I did not read the instructions well, but after resetting to factory defaults the problem disappeared.
This site is a lot of fun and I learned also a lot. Thanks!
by Adri on Dec 22, 2005 at 9:15am Add comment
Wonderful thread. Wish I had it a week ago. Here's my tale of woe. Hope it adds something of value to the thread.

Have HP officejet d145, HP 14 carts and prtheads. Have been having lots of trouble with err "IDS Failure Call HP". It's $500 all-in-one with hours of trouble shooting via HP online help docus and HP chat room. Was ready to trash printer til I decided some online info was incorrect when it told me to step through dx procedures to determine whether I truly had "air in the manifold" which it indicated I did have or whether it was a false err. Repeatedly I cleared the err only to have it return when trying to run test page, etc. The docu said to take unit in for repairs cause replacing prthead would not fix "air in the manifold". I found same problem as others with take-in service, at least $145 to just get it on the repair workbench. That does not include parts. I know they would stick all new prt carts and prtheads in at inflated prices with no guarantees. I decided the manifold was not where the HP techies said it was ("It's where the printhead resides"), but had to be an integral part of printhead maybe at the bottom of the replaceable prthd, so why send it in. I now realize it may be the bladder inside prthead, but still replaceable. I gambled on a new blk HP 14 prthead $33.99 and a new HP14 cart $21.99 (to avoid possible contamination from refilled cart to new prthd) total $55.98 from HP's online shopping store, no shipping, no local sls tx. Ordered both at 7PM ystrday They were on my front porch with a ring of the doorbell b4 10 AM this morning. Installed both and worked right out of box, up by noon.

Reason for this long piece is that I see some msg's re prthead errs and ink carts and I hope this info will help those people. I too had tried the cleaning with distilled water and rubbing alcohol without success.

You may find following online doc's helpful at: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/ docs: c00296705 bpu02180 bpa02107 c00064417. These docu's refer to the HP d and 7100 series.

Lastly, we have an ink filler operation at Towne West Mall in Wichita, Ks who claims to be able to pop off chips from all mfr ink carts and reset or replace counter and date restrictions. If interested, let me know and I'll send you their phone number or e-mail addr.

OH joy, I just salvaged a $500 multifunction by persistance and I urge you all to keep trying. Good luck! Mel

by unknown on Dec 23, 2005 at 5:56pm Add comment
replying to my own post of this date: Sam's has a fine ink refill kit for around $20.00. You can also buy blk ink in bulk online from Sam's Clubs. Kits include the photo inks. All is made by stratitec in close-by Wichita, Ks, and have excellent accessories for drilling Canon carts, some rubber pads for closing off bottom of canon, etc carts while filling, various rubber nipples, and 3 syringes with caps for CYM ink plus a large syringe for blk ink. Newest kit is slick, but you may still get some ink on your hands. Kit includes a plastic gizmo that helps in prying open those carts that need it, and other goodies to help fill most any cart on market with really good, specific cart instruction booklet, a bargain at $20+/-. Stratitec has website for info: http://www.stratitec.com or more better http//www.easyinkjetrefill.com or call 1-316-618-3500. Tech staff will answer your questions. No, I do not have any vested interest in these folks. Just came onto kits at Sam's by accident.

Happy refilling!!! Mel - Anonymous

HP 14 printhead IDS error:

How to remove air from the manifold!

May be this simple procedure may help to save some printheads (and bucks!). It works if the nozzles are still ok (not burned out or completly clogged).

This is a short translation from www.enderlin.com (German). I tried this and it worked superb.

1. Have SUITABLE refill ink, a needle, some tissues, a "helping hand" available.

2. Remove the small rubber ball at the bottom of the printhead with help of the needle. Do not push it inside! Fix the printhead to your "helping hand" for the next steps.

3. Fill the printhead completly with ink (max 8 ml).

4. Close it wih the rubber ball.

5. Turn over: Ink will flow out of the nozzles. This will build up the necessary under-pressure inside the printhead. To speed up this process, press some tissues against the nozzles.

6. When the nozzles are dry (no more ink visible), install the printhead into your printer and follow the instructions.

Voilá! No guarantee!

Do not forget to wash your fingers before you meet another human being!

Funker73
by Funker73 on Dec 25, 2005 at 8:23am Add comment
Does anybody know what causes the 'bad printhead' error on the HP printers? I understand the IDS printer is caused by air in the 'pipes' but what's the deal with the 'bad printheads'?
by Anonymous on Dec 25, 2005 at 11:18am Add comment
The BAD PRINTHEAD erron on the HP printers is alerting you to the fact that your printhead is either clogged and needs to be cleanedor that is is indeed burnt out because of someone refilling the ink cartridges and overriding the ink level controls, then letting the ink run dry and thus burning out the printhead. A WARNING for those who like to refill the ink cartridges on the D135, D145, 7110, 7130 printers......WHEN OVERRIDING THE INK LEVEL CONTROL INDICATERS AND REFILLING THE INK CARTRIDGES !!!!!!! MAKE SURE THAT YOU REFILL THE CARTRIDGES VERY OFTEN AND "BEFORE" THEY RUN OUT OF INK. The ink in these printers is not only used for printing, but the ink is also used as a coolant for the printheads, which get hot during the printing process. If the cartridges run out of ink and the printer contiues to try to print, the printheads will OVERHEAT and BURN OUT. - Anonymous
Thanks for the FYI on the print heads burning out. When you refill the ink cartridges be sure to not over fill them. The sponge will continue to absorb ink, but when you turn it over some of the ink will run out. Whenever I refill I use a plastic container lid. I line the bottom with a couple of paper towels and turn the cartridge over (after refill) and allow it to sit for a few minutes. This allows any over fill to run onto the towels and not into my printer. I try to use a lid that has an indentation so the cartridge is not in contact with the paper to prevent any wicking of the ink. I have even sat and held the cartridge and for this I wear the cheap disposable gloves available at any drug store. This has prevented a few messes.
Claudia
by claudia752 on Dec 31, 2005 at 12:41pm Add comment
Thanks for the info. I finally received my replacement print head and the printer is working fine. I hate to throw the old head away becase it doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it. (It all started with a huge paper jam. Somehow the yellow print head 'paid the price' for the jam up...Go figure.)

By the way, I get my print heads from ebay (new ones) at about $15 less than retail. Check it out.
by unknown on Dec 31, 2005 at 1:22pm Add comment
Re: Claudia752's HP cart refill stabilization procedures so as to avoid overfilling carts and making a mess or ruining your prtr: Here's a little extra twist I use. Place a smooth pine or similar block of wood approx 1" X 3" X 4" to 6" long on the flat on a folded section of newspaper approx 4-5 pages thick. After filling any ink cell, place the upright cart cross-wise on the wood with the refill hole hanging off the side of the block to let any excess ink drain onto the paper (and possibly some on the wood) until cart stabilizes. If cart continues to drain ink for more than a few seconds, pick it up and turn it upside down for 10 secs, or so, then retry stabilization process. Works every time for me. Sometimes I don't get any ink flow at all. I have not tried filling more than one color cell at a time before each stabilization. May get brave someday and try it. That should speed up process. Be sure to carefully wipe off excess ink from bottom of cart with a damp paper kitchen towel just to be neat and avoid cross-contamination of colors in the CYM cart and prtheads, or even messing up your inkheads.

Lallepops
by unknown on Jan 1, 2006 at 11:20pm Add comment
I have cleaned the red printhead and filled the cart but the red print is not good at the start of the line. I use a document with "TESTING TESTING TESTING" 32 point scross one line. It prints solid letters from about halfway on the line to the end. I have always looked at printer test pages and they were fine until there is a problem then when the printing is incomplete there seems to be little information on how to interpret the "test" sheets. There appears to be plenty of ink on the right side but a shortage on the left.
What are the clues indicating?
by Dottie on Jan 3, 2006 at 11:45am Add comment
You are a hero and the first responder is a complete tool! This worked like a charm and you saved me forty + $$$

If you smoke cigars let me know and I'll send you a Cuban!
by Anonymous on Jan 3, 2006 at 2:00pm Add comment
Dottie,
Did you refill the printhead as well? It might be empty or clogging up. I would make sure it's full. If it's full, then dip it in almost boiling water (just the tip of the head opposite the handle on top. If the head is unclogged, ink will flow freely out of the head and turn the water red right away. I would only dip the head for about 10 secs unless it's really dried up. Wipe excess water/ink with paper towels until the paper towel comes out clean. Make sure the copper contacts are clean and dry. Don't forget to do a clean cycle from the HP Director software and align the heads before you redo your test.
by unknown on Jan 3, 2006 at 5:19pm Add comment
What a great resource!

I've just inherited an HP D135 that won't print red. After looking through the posts here, I'm wondering if I need to clean the red print head, but I don't know where it is. I always thought it was part of the cartridge but. Is there a diagram of this posted anywhere?

GaryK
by gkarasik on Jan 9, 2006 at 5:36pm Add comment
The print heads are located just underneath the Ink cartridges.
There is a small lever that unlocks the carrage that holds the printheads in. You must lift the print cartridge bok up exposing the print heads. They are usually labled as to which one is which color. These instructions are included in the owners manual. If you don't have one you can get a look at one at: www.hp.com - Anonymous
To the person who just inherited the D135 printer.

This printer is fairly old. I have had 6 of them. IF cleaning the print head doesn't fix the problem, I would suggest buying a NEW printer. This particular printer D135) is extremely expensive to keep working. When print heads start to go bad, they usually tend to go bad fairly close together. New ones usually cost $35.00 to $40.00 each....and there are 4 of them. Printer ink can also be expensive...even if you use "generic" inks. The only reasons to try to use this printer is if you value the FAX capabilities or the copy features of the D135, otherwise it is easy to find a NEW PRINTER that uses less expensive inks and don't break down as often. The Epson R200 or R220 is a very good choice for color and black & white printing ($72.00 at sams club & can be found on E-bay for slightly less. It is especially good for Photo's. Generic Ink cartridges can be purchased online for as little as $2.00 each. (Requires six different colors = about $12 - $14 for the pack...Ebay is a good place to start) other Epson printers that use the same cartridges and have added features are the R300, R320, R340.

If using a printer for a copy machine is important. Epson makes one of them that also uses the same Inks at the other printes I have liste. It cost about $109.00 at Sams and elsewhere. (I can't remember the model number on that one, though.

You don't have to limit yourself just to the Epson brand...I just happen to like them....there are many prntes out there that are very good and inexpensive.

Printers are getting very inexpensive. It is very important to do research on the cost of ink before purchasing ANY NEW or USED printer. The consumables (Inks etc) are where the manufacturers make their money....not on the printers. - Anonymous
Thanks. I'll check out the manual on the HP site. All I got was the printer--no manuals or CDs.

GaryK
by gkarasik on Jan 10, 2006 at 9:11am Add comment
Again, to the person who inherited the D135 Printer....

You will also need to download the NEW "Printer Drivers" from the HP website...especially if you didn't get the CD with the Printer. - Anonymous
Thanks very much. I will take your advice and not pour a lot of money into this HP.

GaryaK
by gkarasik on Jan 10, 2006 at 9:33am Add comment
Here is something that I haven't read on here yet.

I started the procedures listed in the first post, and after I had the hing pins removed, and the top up. I seen the battery on the left, but on the right, where the ink tray will sit, below that at the bottom was about an inch of black ink. I was able to clean up some of it, but there is still a lot there.

Any Ideas on how to clean that up, and is this caused from a bad jet?

Thanks in advance.
by Anonymous on Jan 15, 2006 at 9:36pm Add comment
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! I followed everyone's collective ideas and soaked all my printheads, one at a time, in hot water about 1/2 inch deep in a glass dish. Blotter-dried them and reinstalled. VIOLA!!! Beautiful color!!! Thanks for all the detailed steps to safely remove, clean and reinstall. This is a GREAT thread!!
by unknown on Jan 18, 2006 at 10:44am Add comment
Hi Dexfurax....

It's me again (rowboat).....I just sent you an e-mail RE: my D135
(Print head proc., flashing lites), and then I noted your sign-up link...so- if any responses to my query on my D135.....I am now 'rowboat737'......thanks a bunch.
by Anonymous on Jan 22, 2006 at 10:49am Add comment
I popped out the battery for an hour and this fixed the "expired cartridge" error message.

The date/time is now JAN 00 00 00:00a until I start the HP Director software, and then it updates with the correct date/time.

So I am very happy, but I have a few "dumb" questions...
1. What does this battery do?
2. What happened when I disconnected it for an hour?
3. Is there a way to get the date/time to work again without the HP Director software (not sure why I would need this, but curious)

Thanks,

Kevin
by Anonymous on Jan 24, 2006 at 9:59pm Add comment
The battery is used to keep you settings (language, fax, etc) and it also interfaces with the printheads and cartridges to perpetuate your dependance on HP for commodities. Remember they make 4 times more money on that than on the printers....
I don't know of any method for setting the time besides through the Director. It takes perhaps 1 minute. After an hour the erasable memory on the printer loses its memory and it's back to blank. - Anonymous
I had the "IDS Failure call HP" message too.

So I did, they gave me two options. Talk to customer service for $30, or to get a refurb unit for $150.

I decided to try soaking the magenta printhead as someone suggseted. I let set in hot water for about 10 minutes. Dried it well, now printer works like champ. Nice job.
by unknown on Jan 28, 2006 at 12:03pm Add comment
Followed the advice of the original post and it worked wonders. My D135 is back up and running like a champ. Many thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.
by Anonymous on Jan 28, 2006 at 2:57pm Add comment
WOW! Had the IDS problem for six months - extended warranty ran out yesterday but didn't really care because I knew they would just want to replace the printer heads. I soaked them for 10 minutes a piece in hot water. Let them dry for 5 min or so, wiped down with lint free cloth, and reinstalled them, and WOW!!!! worked!! I had to resoak the magenta a second time, but you could see the ink run out. I thought I burnt them out because I let the colour ink run completely out and it sat for months before I bought new HP ink cartridges, and threw one good one out because I thought it was dead. HA! WHAT A GREAT FIX! THANK YOU!!! - Anonymous
Didn't bother to read much of this stuff but I had a problem. There was a narrow black vertical line down my document when using the ADF feeder of my HP7110. I could see it was coming from the feeder and not the flat glass; and not on a fresh print. Wasted 2 days with tech support. Tried a little alcohol on a thick piece of paper - used it like a wiper but the solvent nature of the liquid scared me. It is the Windex that did the trick. Slopped it on a sheet - fed it through and that did the trick. Good info the Windex. Not as agressive as alcohol and no redidue.
by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2006 at 5:27pm Add comment
If you saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding, you would undestand that Windex pretty much does everything! - Anonymous
I just spend a good chunk of my evening sifting through this thread. Enthralling – better than a good book! Just wish I read it about 2 weeks ago.

I felt compelled to share my experience – call it a cleansing exercise. I chalk it up to self-therapy after feeling sick about spending ~$200 to get my printer running again – almost, but not quite worth buying a new one instead. I actually have 2 questions which I’ll post as separate messages, just to keep the thoughts separate.

My printer is an OfficeJet 7110. Wasn’t sure what the D135 was, but after looking it up I gather the 2 units are very similar.

Roughly a year ago I got the dreaded ‘IDS Failure – Call HP’ message. It just happened overnight. On some occasions it would print a page or 2 after that, but not very well. I was using a generic ink cartridge at the time, and it was ~1/2 done. Without looking up the problem I simply panicked figuring HP’s warnings about using 3rd party refills were here to haunt me. And since the printer was still under warranty (which I would never benefit from anyway), I decided to replace the cartridges with brand new HP carts to avoid a warranty hassle if it ever came to that.

Well … that didn’t fix the problem. So naturally I started feeling sick – something like a bad hangover I guess … like drinking a 40 pounder of Rye Whiskey with Cream Soda chasers – yum :)

I’m not usually faint hearted. I’ve taken on some serious issues in the past (PC, software, auto, banking ...), and built many PC’s on my own. I also maintain a network, performed numerous OS upgrades and write my own software. I also witnessed the birth of DOS, and the Internet. My first PC was the Apple – which I built myself. OK … I’m not quite 50 yet, but I admit I'm a geek at heart :)

Problems are just part of the territory. However, this was different. Any time I’ve had to deal with a vendor (mostly the big boys now that I think about it), after the product has been in service for a while, I get the run around, avoidance, redirection, mail tag, denial, finger pointing … and in the end a bloody battle. I just want to buy a product and have it work as advertised … is that asking too much? Who has the time or energy do deal with all that anyway? Oh, and by the way, I used to also fix my own cars – even have 30 engine rebuilds and over 30 paint jobs under my belt. But that all ended when the dust got to me, and they started cramming all that crap under the hood. Hmmmmm … might have to start back into it now that my son's are talking 'bout their 1st cars.

Anyway, I digress. I’ve had HP printers before, and about the only ones I’ve had success with were the black laser jets – the HP IIp and IIIp series to be exact. Why did I buy another HP inkjet? Well, I figured once they’ve gone through a few bad products they’ll have all the bugs worked out. Right? Wrong!

OK … back to my story.

We have other printers in the house, so everyone just started printing elsewhere, and the OfficeJet got neglected … for almost a year. So why now? Well … my wife finally decided that spending ~$350 for a useless hulk sitting on her desk just taking up space wasn’t working. Finally, in disgust I just threatened to chuck the thing, quickly realizing that was the wrong answer :(

So about 2 weeks ago I took this on … again … with dread, and looked up HP’s support page … all the while to Death Star music and lightning cracks overhead. First, I didn’t expected to find anything at all on the subject, figuring it was their way of having me call their support and pay through the nose per hour for useless dribble while ending up sending the thing in for bench top service anyway. So imagine my surprise after finding a relevant support topic. It was just too good to be true. And there was a glimmer of hope.

But my mind went racing, figuring that amid the laughter behind the web page, I’d again be directed to send my unit in for bench top service. So I was surprised again when there was some advice that actually made sense. So with hope and renewed determination I marched off with a new sense purpose and proceeded to try all the self-help … with no luck ... figures :(

HP kept making a point of stressing that only one print head be removed at a time or ‘damage may occur’. Well, I guess I didn’t read carefully enough and took out all 4, cleaned them, put them back in … and nothing changed. Now I’m wondering if taking out all 4 at a time cooked my unit, and I’ll have to send it in for bench top service. Sorry if this is starting to sound like a broken record ...

In desperation I started an E-Mail support session with HP. Atleast it was free.

To their credit, they were extremely responsive, and suggested several additional things to try including a firmware upgrade. Cleaning the print heads never entered the discussion, and of course non of their suggestions made any difference. In the end they advised me to replace the print heads – ALL 4 of them. By then my print carriage also seemed to develope a nervous twitch, which upon inquiry also went unadressed.

So now I’m waiting for the new heads to arrive, and I’m thinking “this isn’t going to solve my problem, and I’m gonna end up wasting $135, and will need to send the machine in for bench top service after all”. Am I being obvious – that was the last thing I wanted to do???

Well, the print heads arrived. And after ~$135 + a few ink cartridges, the problem was actually resolved. The machine is now printing like new … for now!

The only reason I’m on this site is because I’m now looking into refilling my own ink, and was looking for tips & trix. Imagine my surprise when I ran across this thread. Made my stomach turn – almost makes me laugh though. What did we ever do without the Internet. Wellllllll … for one thing, PC‘s and printers … and cars … actually worked back then :)

Just kidding!
by unknown on Feb 9, 2006 at 7:42pm Add comment
During my service session with HP on my 7110 “IDS Failure …” (you know the rest), I kept printing self-test reports. Each time I printed a report the color ink remaining would drop a few \% at first, then by 4’s and finally 10-12\% at a time until I was down in the 20’s. The black didn’t drop as fast, but not far behind. Remember that this was only after 1-1/2 pages of output at a time.

During each E-Mail exchange with HP I’d provide a status of my ink situation, and each time asked “Where’s my ink going”? This issue was never addressed.

Question is … I doubt I’m dumping ink inside the printer – at least I can’t see anything obvious when I look inside. Do I still have reasonably full cartridges? If so, how do I reset the counter, or should I even bother? I already tried doing all the machine resets, and purges … with no change I’m not as concerned about wasting one set or cartridges during the service exercise (chalk it up to repair cost), but I’m not keen on having this situation continue for obvious reasons. My cost per page will be astronomical.
by zr on Feb 9, 2006 at 7:45pm Add comment
Unless your ink tanks are old (did you say some were 1 year old?) and probably dried up, I would pitch them. Refill your new tanks from ink at www.inksells.com. They sell the kit and refills. It's fairly simple and they also show a video on their website on how to refill tanks and heads. It can be messy if you are not careful but the ink cleans up with water and a little soap. I always do this on the kitchen island on top of the Sunday paper. I have been refilling my tanks for about 6 months. Same original tanks. Also, you have to stay on top of refilling or you might dry up your heads and that could burn them up...Hope this helps...
(Nex time, buy the heads on ebay and say some $$$'s) - unknown
I decided to start performing my own refills on my 7110. I already have the ink kit, and the refill instructions suggest that I may need to refill the ink carts while they’re in the machine.

An earlier note from someone else brushed this subject, but I don’t recall seeing a reply. In other words, can the ink carts be removed for refilling or not? And can someone suggest the proper refill procedure for this machine to avoid me having to re-invent the wheel? This is all new to me. Thx.
by zr on Feb 9, 2006 at 7:53pm Add comment
Thanks for the advice, and the link provided (www.inksell.com) was awesome.

Their videos are great - found some in the support section, but the ones that were pertinent to my specific printer were found on the pages with the actual refill kits. Also, their system of refilling looks much better than what I currently have. Here you get a special tool to pull plugs and hold the head while refilling, and they also give you a stick-on template for the ink cartridge to help position the refill needle - without needing to peel off the existing label (which is nearly impossible).

Thanks again - nice kits, and very helpful instructional videos.
by zr on Feb 11, 2006 at 7:44am Add comment
Just found this thread today, trying once again to find any helpful info on the 7130xi. I just get so frustrated because my printouts are just not CRISP. I've had this machine for about 2.5 years. I found myself eyeballing a Canon pixma mp500 at the store the other day, but for pete's sake, I shouldn't have to go and buy a new printer already!! So anyway, my gripe is the clarity of the printouts. I see dots and streaks. And each print seems different. Never know what you might get. Well, I'm starting to think that I need to do a thorough cleaning of the printheads, as mentioned and described in this thread.

But I'm scared to death to do it. I'm afraid it'll create some new problem...you know what I mean. But anyway, here's my actual question (finally!). What about a ultrasonic cleaner? Back in the day, it's what I used to clean my rapidograph pens, to get all the dried ink out. You can fill it with warm water and some Windex, and it'll get jiggy with what's inside.

Just thought I'd see what you folks thought about that.
by Anonymous on Feb 11, 2006 at 11:33am Add comment
Ugh, realized my post was not clear:

What about putting the printheads INTO the ultrasonic cleaner to clean them out.
by Anonymous on Feb 11, 2006 at 11:37am Add comment
Excellent work on disassembling and cleaning the #14 printheads! I've tried it and it works well, but i've had some issues with some heads I can't seem to resolve. After I've cleaned them, checked the rubber gasket etc, I add 5-6ml of ink. I snap the top on, clean up the outside under cool running water, and bleed the head on a wad of paper towel. Some require more bleeding than others beforet they quit leaking. I've had some luck by actually partially inflating the air bladder, then quickly snapping it back together to allow the deflating bladder to pull a vacuum and stop the seeping faster with less mess.
The problem is, after I'm done, a few work right away (usually the black) with no problem, but most of the color heads will either print for a short time (less than 1 page) then quit, or else print a little, then "sputter" and drip all over the page the unit's printing. I can run the clean printheads option, it may work again for awhile (1/2page) then quit or else give me the bad printhead flag. Removing the head will show that they're wet, I can bleed more ink and the nozzles appear open, but when I reinstall them the sporatic printing returns. I've left the printer(s) sit overnight, with little improvement.

I'm open for suggestions as there's nothing more dangerous than a person who THINKS he knows what he's doing!!!
by Anonymous on Feb 23, 2006 at 6:43pm Add comment
thanks to everyone who takes time to help other people -super cool.
my d145 sat at friends house for about a year-got it back w/no ink cartridges at all.put new ones & wouldnt print at all. hp wasnt any help & i figured if i paid for tech support they would tell me to take it in & spend more. i tried the windex & it printed real bad(lines going through picture & real faded) then tried hot water. self-test shows black is gone-yellow looks ok but cyan & magenta have streaks-wont print solid color. do i need to buy new colors or just black? any help would be appreciated-thanx
by unknown on Mar 6, 2006 at 4:32am Add comment

Somebody before me said it. This entire thread reads like a good book. I could have searched for an eternity and never found so many fellow d135 owners who had so much to share. Bless the original poster...his treatise on the d135 was a real piece of work and praise is deserved. But the rest of you deserve the credit also. Good work folks! One thing we d135 people have shared in was purchasing a printer made by HP which had an obvious plan to make big bucks on Ink Carts and Printheads for HP. Dont think I will ever buy an HP product again. My experience with printers and computer systems from them has been...Well, very horrifying. I bought a really cheap Epson some time ago. I think it cost me $26.00 out the door at Best Buys. Damn thing works like new and prints everytime with no problems. Go figure! I paid $450. for the d135 and the very day I bought it the damn thing started acting up. I have to do a few "Hail Marys" each time I turn it on hoping it will work just one more time. Unfortunately, I had no luck with cart refills or print head cleaning and fell right into the trap that HP wanted me to fall into. New Carts and New Printheads. But I will learn I promise all of you. Next time I am going to come back to this thread and take the advice all of you have so generously offered. I wish I had run into this site before I laid out all the bucks for the new stuff. Please join me and raise your glass in one more "HP SUCKS!" Ha Ha.
Thank you all and good day. Bobkat
by unknown on Mar 9, 2006 at 7:52pm Add comment
Thanks for your instructions. After spending about an hour with HP Tech online last night and ordering 4 new printheads to the tune of $136.96. I tried your windex this morning. What do you know the printing looks wonderful. Thank you for saving me. I really love this printer it is such a hard working machine.

Sue
by unknown on Mar 21, 2006 at 9:32am Add comment
My officejet d 135 used very sparingly has sat idle for nearly 1-1/2 years unplugged. I cannot power the unit. The DC Adapter is fine as I have checked the voltage and the amperage. It appears the power recptacle in the rear of the unit and the cord plug is not mating. If I play with it, I do get briefly power light and than lose it. I believe I may pushed the plug too hard against the wall which sfifted the recptacle at some point inadvertently.

HP is simply no help...I tried to purchase a Service Manual they refer me to authorized repair center which happens to be Radio Shack. RS claim they will have to send it to service center. I know I can fix this with a Manual or a Guide which shows how to access the bottom and lists P/N. Any suggestions how I can obtain a Service Manual or solve this problem will be truly appreciative. Thanks

TK
by unknown on Mar 25, 2006 at 11:36am Add comment
tkarim,

Couple ideas for you. More than likely just the power socket is broke, or the solder connections to the main board have pulled loose. A T-15 torx and a pocket knife will almost totally disassemble a D135. The whole uppere 2/3'rds of the case is clipped onto the base sections. The only two screws holding it are accessible after you disconnect the hinges and flip up the scanner part of the unit.

You could opt for a different mainboard from e-Bay. The board from a 135, 145, 7110 and 7130 (among others) will fit and work. Get the card reader assembly and the duplexer unit and you'll will have a D145. The card readers from the 7130 are different from the D145, so watch that if you decide to update the mainboard,
by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2006 at 7:44pm Add comment
Sorry, I meant a T-10 torx. My bad. - Anonymous

I'm looking for a HP Cartridge Resetter. I have one for my Epson but not for my HP.
I"m also looking for a post by TRUBBLEGUY. which is......
http://www.inktecuk.co.uk/57 58 reset.htm

Thanks for any help !
by pattysjoe on Apr 11, 2006 at 12:26pm Add comment
What Hp cartridge do you need resetter for ? - Anonymous
Does anyone know where I can get cheap replacement bulbs for my hp d155xi. The adf leaves a line down the center of the page. Thanks for all of the great posts!
Jeff
by Anonymous on Apr 13, 2006 at 12:53pm Add comment
As for the lines in the ADF, look for white-out or ink on the little narrow slit glass. If it copies fine from the platen glass, the bulb is fine. :-) PCRMike
by pcrmike on Apr 18, 2006 at 6:36pm Add comment
I just want to thank everyone who posted and suggested the ammonia and water treatment. I also tried to call HP for support, to no avail and also a 3rd party service company, who suggested I throw it away and go buy a laser printer. My buddy and I each have one of these printers and we were both having the same problem (IDS Failure). I told him about the suggestion on-line and we both took out the print heads as suggested and cleaned up the ports a bit and now everything works great.
by Anonymous on Apr 21, 2006 at 7:05am Add comment
Great to see this site! I have an hp officejet d135 since 2003. I've been receiving a "Scanner failure" error for about two months. I've read all of the above, but not sure if the two suggestions about this error really worked. (no offense meant!) Anyone had a sure success with removing this error?
Thanks! Pat
by patsandler on Apr 25, 2006 at 6:55pm Add comment
I bought two of these printers and the thing that was causing my scanner failure was the fact that the carriage that carries the light across the glass "window" was out of place a little to the left and all I did was tip the printer up high on the left and banged or jolted the machine so that the right, bottom side of the machine hit the desk and moved the carriage back into place. Sometimes when people move the machine they cause the carriage to move to the left. GOOD LUCK! - Anonymous
I like Bob and Patty have a scanner error message and if I do everything suggested it works well for a while then goes back to the error message. It is a d135.....help

by unknown on Apr 30, 2006 at 9:57am Add comment
Good posts guys. Cleaned my 7110 printheads in hot water - swished them around for a minute each. Did a p/head alignment and cleaned the heads once. Now the color is back and is getting better with each print.
by Anonymous on May 8, 2006 at 9:30am Add comment
One option that just worked for me is to remove the ADF entirely, and just fax 1 page at a time. Raise the ADF tray lid, and there are 2 black clips in the hinges. Raise those, and the entire lid should come off. You should now be able to fax. Jim
by Anonymous on Jun 1, 2006 at 3:45pm Add comment
Wow!! This thread brought my d135 back to life!!! :)
The printer was sitting in a corner for 2 years. I could only use the scan function...
Then i saw this thread, bought a 20$ refill kit, and followed dexfurax's instructions (and later odoboy's printhead disassembly guide for the black printhead)

Thanks everyone, and special thanks to dexfurax for his info on the d135 and odoboy for his guide on disassembling printheads.

As a sidenote, the color printheads didn't give me too much trouble, but the black printhead did. It was completely clogged and i had to open it and wash it.
When i reinstalled the black printhead, it still wouldn't print anything (not a single drop). I figured i'd wait for a few days before changing it just in case it needed to evacuate potential air bubbles or maybe it needed some time to 'put itself together'.. (i am no technician)
Anyway, 3 days later i try to print a test page and surprise: all 4 printheads are printing! :)
I am so happy i can now print© anything i want! And that without thinking about the price of ink cartridges! :)
by Anonymous on Jun 4, 2006 at 12:51pm Add comment
Fantastic. Just followed the HP instructions for cleaning my magenta printhead and it worked a treat. Saved some dosh!

by Anonymous on Jun 5, 2006 at 12:44pm Add comment
I have an officejet 7130xi with what appears to be the ubiquitous IDS Failure problem. I followed the suggested advice posted here (removed the print heads individually, soaked in a solution of warm RO water with a shot of Windex for 10 minutes, blotted on a paper towel moistened with Windex to make sure the ink was flowing, dried carefully by blotting with a paper towel and then placed back in the printer)and as if by magic, after running the Clean PrintHeads from the Toolbox, all is well. I ran the Self Test report by hitting Menu, 3, 5 and I have all the colors back and the printhead status reads OK for all four. Thanks for the great suggestion; it was easy to do and certainly saved me some dollars.
by Dr C on Jun 15, 2006 at 11:16am Add comment
I'm a newbie..skilled with computers but not printers....how do I remove the print heads?
by Anonymous on Jun 21, 2006 at 1:51pm Add comment
Sorry...just saw the previous post....
by Anonymous on Jun 21, 2006 at 1:54pm Add comment
Printhead disassembly:
Pull the round part that is on a rail. It is pretty hard to pull out (I used a flat screwdriver to set it loose). Don't worry too much about breaking something; from my experience, this part isn't fragile.
Next, using a tiny flat screwdriver, lift the 3 clips that are holding the top of the printhead on the frame. These look a little more fragile, so don't pull too hard.
When the top is open, be very careful not to lose the rubber seal (especially if you're doing this above a sink).
Wash all the parts of the printhead in warm water (plunge everything in water). When it looks clean, fill 3/4 of the printhead with ink.
Before closing the lid, make sure the rubber seal is well in place. The printhead should leak from the bottom for a few minutes. That is normal.
If it leaks from the top, it means the rubber seal isn't properly set: you should open the printhead put the rubber seal in the right place (on the lid part of the printhead) and close it again.

When the printhead looks clean, put it back in the printer. In my case, the printhead didn't work right away. At first, it wouldn't print at all. After a few days, i tried printing again, and it worked perfectly.

So don't despair if it doesn't work right away. Just wait for 2-3 days.

The only thing left to do now is to choose between scrubbing your hands with windex or spend the next few days answering questions from curious coworkers.. I chose windex, but after due considerations, i'm not sure it was worth the smell... ;)
by vincentg on Jun 23, 2006 at 5:32am Add comment
THANKS FOR TAKING YOUR TIME VINCENTG Pull the round part that is on a rail. It is pretty hard to pull out (I used a flat screwdriver to set it loose). Don't worry too much about breaking something; from my experience, this part isn't fragile.

THIS WAS EXCELLENT, YOU GAVE ME THE CONFIDENCE I NEEDED TO GET THIS PART OFF USING YOUR METHOD

Next, using a tiny flat screwdriver, lift the 3 clips DARN I COULD NOT FIND THREE CLIPS, I DID SEE THREE SLOTS TWO ON THE SIDE AND ONE IN THE FRONT OR BACK DEPENDING WHAT YOU CONSIDER THE FRONT OR BACK, IS THAT WHAT YOU MEAN THE SLOTS AS I CALL THEM ? IF NOT WHERE ARE THE THREE CLIPS ? that are holding the top of the printhead on the frame. These look a little more fragile, so don't pull too hard. EVERY TIME I TRIED TO LIFT BY THE SLOTS IT LOOKED LIKE I WAS GOING TO BREAK THE MIDDLE OF THE SLOT. I DECIDED TO GO IN FROM WHERE THE ROUND TUBE WAS AND PRIDE UP I'M NOT SURE IF I SPLIT THE TOP OFF OR NOT, I'M SOAKING EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW, I WILL FIND OUT IF I BROKE THE TOP FROM THE BOTTOM WHEN I PUT IT TOGETHER, IF IT WILL GO TOGETHER. I TRIED TO FILL THE LITTLE BAG WITH WATER BUT THE BAG DIDN'T SEEM TO FILL WHICH BRINGS ME TO THE NEXT QUESTION. "Wash all the parts of the printhead in warm water (plunge everything in water). When it looks clean, fill 3/4 of the printhead with ink" DO YOU MEAN FILL FROM THE TOP WHERE THE LITTLE MESH STEM THAT FITS INTO THE PRINT CARTRIDGE WHEN THE PRINTHEAD IS IN THE PRINTER OR FILL THE BLACK TUB THAT THE TOP PART OF THE PRINTHEAD FITS INTO. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I TRIED SQUIRTING WATER INTO THE MESH STEM WITH A REFILL SIRINGE, THE WATER DIDN'T FILL UP THOSE LITTLE BAGS, WHERE DO I FILL UP 3/4 ?
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME VINCENTG;
bAAR
by Anonymous on Jun 23, 2006 at 4:34pm Add comment
Sorry, i'm a bit limited when explaining technicial things (i'm not a native english speaker). The three slots you found are most likely what i meant. :)

You have to fill the reservoir (the part of the cartridge that has the printheads and copper contacts). Do not try to fill the little bag that is attatched to the lid (as far as i know, you can't anyway).
When the reservoir is 3/4 full, close the lid; the little bag attatched to it should be bathing in the ink inside the reservoir. Again, make sure the rubber seal is well in place before closing the lid.

I'm very happy to help. Without the help of everyone on this thread, my printer would still be sitting in a corner, covered in dust ;)

Vincent

by vincentg on Jun 24, 2006 at 4:58am Add comment
Just to clear things up about the three clips/slots:

When you hold the printhead the same way as if it was sitting in the printhead rack of the printer, the 3 clips/slots are:
2 on the sides, 1 on the end opposed to the round thing that sits on a rail.
The slots are very small. They are on the top of the printhead. They are holding the lid of the on the main body of the printhead.
by vincentg on Jun 24, 2006 at 5:09am Add comment
Sorry, i'm a bit limited when explaining technicial things YOU'RE DOING GREAT VINCENT, FAR BETTER THAN I COULD EVER EXPLAIN.

They are holding the lid of the printhead on the main body of the printhead.

COULD YOU TRY TO EXPLAIN YOUR TECHNIQUE,

WHEN YOU LOOK DOWN ON THE PRINTHEAD YOU SEE THE SLOTS, IF I PLACE THE SCREW DRIVER IN THE SLOT FROM THE TOP IT SEEMS I WOULD BREAK THE PLASTIC THAT WOULD BE ON THE BOTTOM SIDE OF THE SCREW DRIVER. IF I TRY TO GO IN FROM THE TOP I AM PRYING UP ON THE PART CLOSE TO THE CENTER OF THE PRINTHEAD WHILE PUSHING DOWN ON THE PART OF THE PLASTIC UNDER THE SCREW DRIVER CAUSING A WEDGING EFFECT. WHICH IS ALMOST CERTAIN TO BREAK THE PLASTIC. OBVIOUSLY YOU DO THIS DIFFERENTLY TO AVOID BREAKING THE PLASTIC, COULD YOU TRY AND EXPLAIN IN DETAIL HOW YOU WORK THE SCREW DRIVER, I'M MISSING SOMETHING ( POSSIBLY A BRAIN )
tHANKS;
bAAR
- Anonymous
Some pictures. I hope this helps :)
http://img523.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bent9si.jpg
by vincentg on Jun 24, 2006 at 10:59am Add comment
"that may be true, or may not be, but the fact remains, nothing could be made as poorly as this HP D135" DONT BELIEVE THIS, THE TRUTH IS THE D145 IS WORSE......LOL
by Anonymous on Jun 24, 2006 at 1:37pm Add comment
I have a CP1160 and holding the power button + cancel 12 times + reset 1 does not clear the inkjet empty indication.

I have heard that there is a battery that can be removed to disable completely the inkjet monitoring electronics.

Anybody know where this battery is?
by unknown on Jun 30, 2006 at 1:41pm Add comment
NEED HELP: I have a Officejet 7110 that just stopped working after refilling ink; it shows Self-Test and the "Normal" quality printing blinking, that's all. The first time worked fine and it was now working fine but for some reason it stopped. I did remove the battery and tried resetting with 6# and 7#, but still not results.
I may be doing some sequence or something wrong. Is there anything you can recommend? I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!
Pedro
by Pedro_from_Miami on Jul 10, 2006 at 7:31am Add comment
I have HP officejet d135.It was working fine but all of sudden it started saying "supply expired! replace color cartridge". I am never using color printing. Is there any way I can use only black printing bypassing this error message and not replacing color cartridge.
Thanks for your help. All are doing woderful jobs helping each other.
P Shah
by unknown on Jul 28, 2006 at 1:15pm Add comment
No. - Anonymous
Will these same prcoedures work for OfficeJet D-145?
by Anonymous on Jul 29, 2006 at 9:09pm Add comment
Top man DEXFURAX - I've just repaired my OfficeJet d155xi by taking out this battery. The problem it got rid of wasn't the same as yours, rather the printer thought that i needed to replace my cartridge even when i installed a new cartridge (origionals). It is now happily sitting in the corner doing its job once again thanks to you!

david in London

by Anonymous on Jul 31, 2006 at 8:24am Add comment
I attempted to take out the 3.3V STANDARD CMOS/BIOS BATTERY in my HP D135 printer in order to reset the printer so I would stop getting the error message "Supply Expired." In the commission of doing this I broke off the metal clip that was holding the battery in place. Not sure how to put the battery back in and have it stay in place. (Maybe electrical tape?)Any suggestions? Thanks.
by unknown on Aug 7, 2006 at 4:30pm Add comment
Thanks for your help, but I don't realy speak 'computer' so many of the words are strange to me. Let me explain you seem to know thise things. I got from a container one office jet model 710. print / fax / scan / copy / ( bring you to the bathroom) But I can not get it to work on the xp. which I bought new and came with a terrible noisy free printer. I got the copy to work. can you help
by Anonymous on Aug 8, 2006 at 2:12pm Add comment
Thanks for your help, but I don't realy speak 'computer' so many of the words are strange to me. Let me explain you seem to know thise things. I got from a container one office jet model 710. print / fax / scan / copy / ( bring you to the bathroom) But I can not get it to work on the xp. which I bought new and came with a terrible noisy free printer. I got the copy to work. can you help
by Anonymous on Aug 8, 2006 at 2:15pm Add comment
I sent this question before. I have no idia how this works, but ....I found a hp model 710 printer fax scan copy bla bla. and I have no disk the woman who put it in the container said it works fine I can only get the copy to work . I cant print from screen CAN YOU HELP?
by Anonymous on Aug 8, 2006 at 2:20pm Add comment
So, I'm now getting the legendary "Scanner Failure Error" message after two trouble-free years...

Is this something I can fix myself? If so, How? Thank you!

Basilst
by unknown on Aug 20, 2006 at 6:23pm Add comment
Brian, I know this reply is very late (given when the original posts were dated), but I agree with you...That guy's a jerk. There are lot of people who are so insecure and whose egos are so fragile that the only way they can feel good about themselves is by diminishing someone else. Apparently, he's one of them.

Also, cudos go to the original poster who at the very least took the time and effort to do something that stands to help a LOT of folks outthere save money. Good for him! I tried his technique (with a small variation) and it worked really well! Thanks for the info.

by Anonymous on Aug 21, 2006 at 10:11am Add comment
My 7110 sucks
by Anonymous on Sep 5, 2006 at 12:18pm Add comment
I have a 7130, and the holding down the arrow buttons and punching 456 didn't work, so I now have a business card slipped between the battery and battery clamp. I'll wait a couple of hours and see what happens.
by unknown on Sep 6, 2006 at 1:22pm Add comment
If you run out of color/colour cartridge how do you get it to continue printing in black until both are exhausted? Am I being a complete idiot here?
by Anonymous on Sep 8, 2006 at 1:31pm Add comment
Hello,

I'm sitting here waiting for my HP 7110 print heads to stew in water and window cleaning fluid ... and I saw your cry for help.

This all works in Windows XP Home ...

Go to Start - Settings - Printers and select your printer.

Find a way to get to Printing Preferences and select something like Colour.

Chose to print in Grey Scale and select the Black Only setting and then apply it.

That should cause your printer only to print in BLACK.

Good luck - and wish me luck while I stew my print head - Anonymous
Hello,

I'm sitting here waiting for my HP 7110 print heads to stew in water and window cleaning fluid ... and I saw your cry for help.

This all works in Windows XP Home ...

Go to Start - Settings - Printers and select your printer.

Find a way to get to Printing Preferences and select something like Colour (that may be fooilng you !!!).

Chose to print in Grey Scale and select the Black Only setting and then apply it.

That should cause your printer only to print in BLACK.

Good luck - and wish me luck while I stew my print head - Anonymous
I went through the reset and clean (my black ink would not print), it is now printing a bit (about 3/4 of the black line on the test page) but stopping with an error "ink drying, press enter to cancel".. cartridge is 80\%...

Any ideas?

You folks have been great ( I won't go into everything HP wanted to sell me to fix it).. Thanks!
by vhauser on Sep 12, 2006 at 4:56pm Add comment
Scanner Failure messages... Printhead cleaning issues... Cart refill techniques... Good Grief! I am in everybody's boat here with this hunk of... well, I absolutely loathe products that do not work as we expected them to-- especially products from HP. I still have an HP-6P Laserjet that has worked like a charm since 1996, with only toner cart refills, and I am wondering: Howcum the inkjets require all this mumbo-jumbo? Anyway, if anyone wants a 40lb d135 paperweight, it is yours for the cost of shipping, pre-paid through PayPal. No BS. Check my eBay rating. Contact me at [email protected] or 512-733-1014 at your convenience. - Anonymous
My unit had a similar failure, and the it knocked out the three 'teeth' that kick the printed pages out of front. Without these teeth, it it chews up the next paper coming through. I was going to try to jury-rig something to replace these teeth (possibly just epoxying something similar to the original), but I needed to get an idea of what the unbroken teeth look like when they are in the at-rest position. If anyone has a picture (or is able to take a high-res picture) of the front of the unit when it is opened up, it would help me to fix this. Would appreciate any help if you could . Thank you.

Benj
by Anonymous on Sep 14, 2006 at 7:27pm Add comment
Thank you, thank you, thank you, DEXFURAX!!! Followed your instructions, used generic windex and worked like a charm!!! HP wanted a service call and advised that I'd need a new printhead !! Again, my sincere thanks!!!
by vhauser on Sep 16, 2006 at 1:59pm Add comment
I have an HP D145 used by my wife in her classroom (she's a teacher). She's had the printer for about three years, and it hasn't been used at all during the last six months. She's never used it to print in color - only to make black/white copies. It stopped working due to the expired cartridge problem. She brought it home for me to look at, so I immediately started a search to investigate the issue. I read through this entire thread, and did the following:

1. slide plastic under the battery clip - left it there.

2. turned off black and color ink gauges

Then I got bad print head errors, so:

3. placed all print heads in 1/2" hot water until water turned color (3-4 hours). I replaced the water several times to keep it relatively hot.

3. removed print heads from water and blotted (don't rub!) jet area. Cleaned contacts on print heads and in the print head carriage with Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol. Replaced print heads.

4. performed head alignment and print head cleaning

The printer is now working perfectly!

This is a great forum! Thanks to all for the various solutions to these problems.

by unknown on Sep 29, 2006 at 12:22am Add comment
hello, i have an officejet 7110. this morning it stopped working. after reinstalling the driverand software twice it began to work of and on. basicallly i would send a print request through and it would hang. hitting cancel I would then send a second request through, it would then print. after that it would park and make that special gear grinding sound. i can Fax but cannot get a report. i can scan just fine. it will not copy as it gets hung up. when i tried to apply the printhead firmware update it cannot detect the printer. any help would be appreciated. nick
by Anonymous on Oct 4, 2006 at 11:15am Add comment
Fantastic!!! Worked like a charm. Thanks!!!
by ksorensen on Oct 8, 2006 at 11:56am Add comment
My HP OfficeJet d145 gives me a scanner failure message after it warms up the bulb. It tells me to turn off the power and then on again. This still doesn't allow the scanner to work. Sometimes if the machine has been off, for say a day, and I turn it on, I may get one scan out of it. All of the other functions seem to operate normally. I can't see paying good money to have something fixed that I can do.
by robertsea on Oct 12, 2006 at 9:41pm Add comment
I need help too... my HPD135 say's "scanner Fail" for every job now. Any hope of fixing something.. or do I just need to toss it??? - Anonymous
You were my last resort. I took my HP 1220c to two shops they couldn't figure it out. I did what you said and it worked. Thank You. I think you are a genius.
by Anonymous on Oct 19, 2006 at 4:08pm Add comment
Hi,

I have desperately tried your method and the only thing that works for me is the date bit going to JAN 0000 etc. However if I put in my refilled cart it indicates that the ink level is quite low and I just can't to get to work as you
by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2006 at 11:38am Add comment
Hi,

I have desperately tried your method and the only thing that works for me is the date bit going to JAN 0000 etc. However if I put in my refilled cart it indicates that the ink level is quite low and I just can't to get to work as you

Bob
by Bhurji on Oct 25, 2006 at 11:41am Add comment
I also got the "Ink Drying" error after soaking the printheads overnight. (When I took the printeheads out last night, the printer warned me that this could cause damage...is that related?) The pages are still printing blank. Did anyone resolve this problem? Thanks!
by unknown on Oct 29, 2006 at 1:15pm Add comment
This overcame an expired Cartridge for me. I have been a printer and pc tech for over 20 years-Never heard of the windex solution-I'll try it. I usually use warm water on a coffee filter with about 60\% success. I did not know the color printers have a cmos battery. Duh! Thanks this was very helpful to this old dog.
by Anonymous on Oct 31, 2006 at 12:27pm Add comment
Thank you very much. Wish I had seen this earlier. It started to print. Am cleaning the prinheads now. taping two printheads was a clever idea ;-)

Thanks again.
by Anonymous on Nov 5, 2006 at 3:51pm Add comment
Scanner fail is usually a motherboard problem. you may find cheap motherboards from bad printers on e-bay.
by Anonymous on Nov 5, 2006 at 3:53pm Add comment
I hope you are willing to get a NEW printer.... the parts are worth a LOT more than than the printer!
by Anonymous on Nov 5, 2006 at 8:08pm Add comment
Thank-you for the wonderful and informative post! I picked up this printer last night through freecycle and the lady mentioned that there was something wrong with the printheads, so I will definitely try your method and hope for the best!

Thanx again!
by unknown on Nov 9, 2006 at 1:27pm Add comment
I have a HP office jet 7130 all in one, Its telling me that the print head is bad, (pentagon)print. Does anyone know what that means. Thank you.
by unknown on Nov 9, 2006 at 7:22pm Add comment
Thanks for all your efforts to fix this nasty HP issue! Your solution also works for the d145!
I used a piece of plastic I cut from a hanging file label holder to slip under the positive (+) connection arm to disable the battery. I reattached the hinges, closed the printer up, plugged it in and turned it on. The screen showed the correct date but I was able to print using the "expired" black ink cartridge immediately.

Well done sir for your efforts and willingness to share them with the rest of us!
Thanks again!
Regards,
Erick
by Anonymous on Nov 11, 2006 at 3:37pm Add comment
Hi there,
I live where 'WINDEX' is not available! Is there an alternative to WINDEX? Thanks a lot guys!
by unknown on Nov 12, 2006 at 4:57pm Add comment
In a moment of lucidity, it came to me. I had been struggling with my 4th HP7130xi. It had decided to stop printing, even with 4 new print heads and new cartridges.(it would not align the printheads)
My other 3 had the dreaded scanner/motherboard failure errors. I had even taken one apart and replaced the ejection fingers bar. So after a week alignment failures and hours of #6's and #9's, it came to me.

These machines were sucking the life out of me.

Why was I letting these pieces of plastic and metal dominate my time? I just put ALL 3 of my HP All-In-Ones on the curb to be taken back to where they came from, Hell.

I went out and purchased a Canon MP530 color Fax/Copier/Scanner/Printer for $179. New features, quiet, fast, I can refill the ink, a perfect fit! And for $179 I get my life back. I can work on other projects! I can play with the kids(and wife). I can get some normal sleep! My ink stained fingers will return to their normal color.

Like my father told me "Don, you moron, you can't polish a turd"

If you don't believe me, then stop and think about why have you wasted the last 2 hours of your life reading about everybodies troubles with these damn printers?

I have purchased my last HP printer. Good riddance.

Put them in the trash and get your life back!
by CarlsbadDon on Nov 12, 2006 at 6:57pm Add comment
Hi there,
can anyone help me to locate the battery position of d155xi?
Thanks,
josh
by unknown on Nov 13, 2006 at 6:11am Add comment
Ok here is a new one. My 7110 will only print if I cancel the first print through. In other words, when I hit the print button on the computer it starts the 7110 up. I can see the "Printing" msg. in the window. It will just sit there. It makes noise like it wants to print, but wont. I have to hit the cancel button on the printer. And then, within a certain amount of time send the print job through again. It will print beautifully. Then after a minute it will move the right and start the gear grinding. I will not be able to print until I cancel the current job and send it through again. It will also only print out 3 of 4our pages in poster mode. The computer did accept an older D135 with no problems. The 7110 worked the same on the second computer in the house. There were new printheads and ink cartridges in the 7110.
by nickt on Nov 13, 2006 at 5:35pm Add comment
I stumbled across this and found it very helpful. My 7130 has been dead for sometime now and decided to get it back out. It displayed that the Magenta printhead was bad, so purchased one at HP.com. When I received the PH and installed, the Blue, Yellow, and Black were suddenly bad. I contacted HP and they tried to sell me another printer at a small discounted rate and wanted me to recycle. I said no thanks and shelved the printer until attempting the "Windex trick". This has revived the printer and now I'm able to use again. Thank you for the information (No thanks to the 'IDOT' (idiot)!
by unknown on Nov 15, 2006 at 4:57pm Add comment
I have the d135 and when I scan or copy I have a yellow background. I have tried resetting the factory settings any other suggestings? Thanks!!
by unknown on Nov 18, 2006 at 11:21am Add comment
Hi!
I have a hp d135 and it worked great for a couple of years. Unfortunatelly, I ran out of ink and money and continued to print till it was completely out. I have since replaced the ink cartridges, but now it's telling me that the printheads are bad. Will the tip you gave work for this problem? I don't understand how you did it. I got the "use windex and soak paper towels to place printheads on", but why not just dip the whole thing in the solution? Stupid?? I sure feel stupid. Could you draw a picture for me? lol I really can't afford $35 a pop for each printhead and it's telling me they're all bad. If this doesn't work, I guess I'll have to go out and get a cheaper brand. Help!!
by Anonymous on Nov 20, 2006 at 9:44pm Add comment
"Is there anyone at HP listening? If your printer customers leave, what will you have?"

Plenty of other printer customers.

LaserJet III's were expensive, and well built.

The d145 was not cheap, but didn't cost near what the LJIII did.

My advice is buy a decent printer and pay with a credit card that doubles warranties, if you want a serious printer that's going to last figure spending $10 times the number of months you expect it to last to get a good machine. (pay for it with a credit card that doubles warranties)

Looked at with my rule if you want a printer that will last 5 years you'll spend $600 on it.
by Stephen on Dec 20, 2006 at 6:51pm Add comment
Hello, do you still have a copy of the CD that comes with the HP D135 officejet? If so, I would love it if you could send me one. I, of course, will pay you for the S&H! TIA

robyn~
by Anonymous on Dec 22, 2006 at 1:19am Add comment
I am also one of the thankful to find this info and am in the process of trying to clean the heads as described above. I do wonder though - why not use isopropyl alcohol for the cleaning ? It works well when cleaning the ink from my hands and I have used it to clean the ink out of my Epson printer when little ink filled fuzz develops on the rollers causing printing lines on my pages. I appreciate feedback from those with knowledge in this area. Thanks - Kurt
by Anonymous on Jan 2, 2007 at 3:55pm Add comment
Because the ink is water based.

If it was alcohol based then you would clean it up with alcohol. - Stephen
Because the ink is water based.

If it was alcohol based then you would clean it up with alcohol. - Stephen
I once did an experiment with Epson ink. I took a hunk of semi-solidified ink out of an Epson waste tank. I put it into a cap full of 99\% isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol totally evaporated after several days leaving the glob of ink totally intact. So, you actually cleaned your Epson using 70\% alcohol, which is in reality 30\% water. Hmmm. - moe
Bob,

I tried this tactic and it now only prints one line of the alignment page. Unfortunately this tip has set me way way back. I would not recommend it to others.
by Anonymous on Jan 3, 2007 at 5:21am Add comment
Well , I too have had it with this thing !! If anyone needs one for parts the scanner and fax etc. works fine but I cannot resolve the dead printhead issue even after trying all on this page ( except taking heads apart or buying new ones ) I cannot see investing more money in this piece of crap from HP. especially when my Epson does a way better job to start with. I did want this machine to work for the fax part of it.

If anyone wants this and you pay shipping. - drop me a line via reply here. Good luck to the rest of you.

Kurt
by Anonymous on Jan 3, 2007 at 5:26am Add comment
test response
by Anonymous on Jan 3, 2007 at 5:58pm Add comment
Kurt,

We'll be waiting for your rant when the epson fails, .

The epson problems posted to the forums way outnumber the HP problems...
by Stephen on Jan 3, 2007 at 7:57pm Add comment
Kurt,

We'll be waiting for your rant when the epson fails, .

The epson problems posted to the forums way outnumber the HP problems...
by Stephen on Jan 3, 2007 at 7:57pm Add comment
Where are the printheads, on the cartridge or on the machine itself, though removable.
Thanks.
eriber2
by eriber2 on Apr 25, 2007 at 5:16am Add comment
Thanks very much! The three dips in cup of hot water (about 3 minutes each time) and a quick dry with paper towels worked wonders for the print heads. Like others, my unit still said the heads were bad and wouldn't align. Simply rebooted (turned off and on) and went to HP on desktop and did primary clean and alignment page. Works better than ever. Cudos and thanks again. PS: should have unplugged power after removing heads to keep track from retreating to the right side. No problem, just closed lid and lifted again to return track to the middle. Good luck all.
by CaptKen on Jun 19, 2007 at 12:04pm Add comment
You guys are definately the best!!! I bought an HP officejet d135 at a yard sale for $30. They said it worked, of course they did how else would they get rid of it. It faxed out, that's it. No printing, copying etc...brand new ink and everything.

So I Googled, help fix my printer and there you were. I took out the print heads, laid them on a paper towel with hot water and Windex for a few hours, put them in and yea!!!! it's working. My husband thinks I'm nuts but 4 months ago my oldest sons PS2 stopped reading discs so I Googled fix my PS2 and there it was. I took it apart and cleaned the little parts, put it back together and no more problems. When I got this home and it didn't work I knew right away I was going to Google. I am a true believer, all you have to do is try, if you mess it up well, it wasn't working in the first place, not much too lose.

P.S. to annonymous with the smart aleck, "do you fix your own car" remark, yes I do. It was a rule in my house, I'm the middle of 5, if you want to drive you will be able to change your oil, your tire, check all the fluids, change out the correct fuse, know the correct way to boost off a battery, get it to the nearest auto parts store and change it out (not letting them talk you out of the core charge because you're a girl), change the spark plugs, replace timing belts, drive a 5-speed, parallel park a Suburban (and not the cool looking ones we have now), and know which side of the car your gas tank is on!!! Have a great day!!! - lisaspur
Hey Dexfurax... thanks for the great tip. Also to the contributor who wrote about soaking printhead in warm/hot water. I had the 'replace printhead' message after having just bought a color print cartridge costing about 60 USD (ouch!) cos I was too lazy to shop for cheaper stuff. My printer has given me great service and seeing the message, I was now contemplating throwing it and getting a new one but now it works just fine! Thanks to you for the time you took to write the instructions. Ignore those guys who didn't give you good feedback. Thanks also to you, I now know more about my D145 printer!
by azharc on Mar 9, 2008 at 5:51pm Add comment
Hi - thanks for the tips. i tried cleaning the printhead with windex. When I went to try to print (brand new black ink, fixed printhead) it prints in faded color indicating that the black printhead is empty. I let it soak for a few days hoping the ink drips into the printhead -- which i believe is how it works but there was no change...

What do i do now? Thanks for the help

Ani
by hyeahser on Mar 22, 2008 at 10:57am Add comment
I just found this site and am trying the windex trick on my printheads. I'm not so mechanically inclined and am not comfortable doing this work. I do so hate feeling cheated though and I REALLY am so angry about the expiration of the ink cartridges etc. I just want to thank you for your service. Makes me feel a little less like a victim of Big Business to find a work around. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
by NicoleT on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:26am Add comment
I just recieved a replacement black cartridge, on the drive to my house, it blew up in the package, probably from the change in elevation.

by msu94 on Jul 18, 2005 at 11:15pm Add comment