Craig O

asked Mar 4, 2005 at 7:07pm
Epson Epson Stylus Color 760

HP LaserJet 5L drivers for XP

G'day all got a 5L for nothing and bought the paper feed kit, and well the printer works fine, most of the time. No feed problems now. However the printer has trouble printing from my web browser, page too complex?

Well I don't understand this as my Epson 760 inkjet has less memory (256kb - 1meg 5L), and can print photos. So I thought I would check the driver and obtained the latest from the HP site vers 6.31. But When I run the automatic driver check on the HP site it states that I have the wrong driver installed. It then proceeds to download the correct one but fails with the instalation. I have checked all the printer settings I know of in win xp pro and all state that a 5L is shown.

What drivers are people using with the 5L on XP and what port settings are you using???.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Craig
The 5L driver is built into xp and the standard port is lpt1. Why not go to add printer, uncheck the autodetect and when you get to the list of printers use the HP 2100 plain pcl driver and see what happens.
by dmzcompute on Mar 4, 2005 at 7:30pm Add comment
Thanks mate for the response, just tried that and made no diff. Infact printer spat out a service error pointing to a formater pca error. Looks like I have just wasted purchasing the feed kit - Anonymous
Sorry about that. My assumption is you get all 3 lights on solid and when you press the button all 3 lights stay on solid. If that is not the case report back the code after you press the button to better diagnose what is wrong.
by dmzcompute on Mar 4, 2005 at 9:53pm Add comment
All three lights stay on solid, then I push the panel button and the bottom 2 lights stay on, indicating a fomater/pca error. But this does not happen all the time, as I use opera as my browser, I print a page the printer sits there waiting for the print job as normal, receives the job hangs for a bit then flashes the error light. I then hit the front panel button and it spits out some of the page. I assume this means page is to complex. Sometimes it shows the service error.

I am sorry but I just don't understand how a page can be to complex when my epson 760 can print the same browser page with less memory!

As this is my first laser printer maybe the printing method requires more memory. Maybe I'll try to hunt down a mem expansion module here in Australia.

Thanks again - Anonymous
All three lights stay on solid, then I push the panel button and the bottom 2 lights stay on, indicating a fomater/pca error. But this does not happen all the time, as I use opera as my browser, I print a page the printer sits there waiting for the print job as normal, receives the job hangs for a bit then flashes the error light. I then hit the front panel button and it spits out some of the page. I assume this means page is to complex. Sometimes it shows the service error.

I am sorry but I just don't understand how a page can be to complex when my epson 760 can print the same browser page with less memory!

As this is my first laser printer maybe the printing method requires more memory. Maybe I'll try to hunt down a mem expansion module here in Australia.

Thanks again - Anonymous
The error is actually a undefined processor error which I have never seen. If the printer prints everything ok with the exception of the web page what you can try to do to narrow it down is to change the print job dpi settings to say 75 dpi. That makes it a very small file and see if it prints or you get the same error. I guess it is possible the browser sends out some codes which maybe confuses the printer and hence the error. By reducing the dpi it will tell you if you have a memory issue or something else.
by dmzcompute on Mar 4, 2005 at 10:28pm Add comment
Well mate is got me buggered. The very first page prints ok, then the subsequent pages cause a page to complex error. Yet it prints ok from word etc. Tried different browsers and have the same problems. The only way to print from any of the browsers is to decrease the dpi to 300. Its strange that the first page prints ok wiht 600dpi and yet try to print the same page again causes page too complex error. Tried different drivers, print processes, vector/raster graphics settings and all make no difference. If I can find a memory upgrage that is reasonbly priced I'll try that failing that I'll just have to resort to printing from my browser using the Epson 760.
by Craig O on Mar 5, 2005 at 8:17pm Add comment
I would go for the memory upgrade if available. Also what happens if you print 1 page at a time. What I mean is you send page 1 to the printer only. Next you file print and send page 2 and so on. I know it is a pain but maybe the job will get printed.
by dmzcompute on Mar 5, 2005 at 8:25pm Add comment
Tried printing 1 page at a time, and end up with the same problem. By file print do you mean use the print to file save option then then print the file again. I have tried differnet spooling options, even printing direct to the printer. Even though the printer has 1 meg of memory, after printing the first page successfully the second page may only be 300+ kb in size and it even caused the page too complex error??
by Craig O on Mar 5, 2005 at 8:54pm Add comment
I think you had it right. By one page I mean print page 1 send to printer. When that is finished print page 2 and send to printer, etc, etc. What happens if you take a pdf file and print lets say ten pages of it.
by dmzcompute on Mar 5, 2005 at 10:01pm Add comment
Just tried printing 8 pages out of motherboard manual, and got an errror message stating that the document failed to print. The size of the document in the print window showed 1.00/15.38mg. Assuming it ment that the first page is 1meg in size, whole doc is 15mg in total. Tried one page that had graphics on it and the print window stated that the page was 3.08meg in size and it printed, but straight after the old service error reared its ugly head. Had to power cycle to clear the error.

About ready to ditch this printer. Glad I didn't pay for it.
by Craig O on Mar 5, 2005 at 10:45pm Add comment
I couldn't even print the first page of the Canon LBP 2410 colour laser printer pdf!!! Straight into a page too complex error
by Craig O on Mar 5, 2005 at 11:53pm Add comment
One crazy thought just came to mind. See what the setting for your parallel port is and if it is not on standard or normal change it. I have seen wierd things happen with some printers when the port is set like to EPP. Worth a shot. If you can I would also try the printer on another computer, prehaps a friends, just to take your machine out of the equation.
by dmzcompute on Mar 6, 2005 at 6:59am Add comment
Thanks for persisting. Tried different port settings, ECP,EPP,Normal, Bi-directional, and made no difference. What I did do was to remove the drivers as much as possible reinstall them and then set the graphics mode to Raster instead of Vector. This seems to give me more constant results albeit at slightly less quality. I guess the 5l's own onboard print processor is to slow to process graphics sent to it in the Vector graphics mode and the 1 meg buffer is not enough, hence the page too complex error. Were as in Raster mode the 5L's print processor can render the graphic quickly and allow the 1 meg buffer to empty more quickly.

1 other setting I am going to try is changing a setting in the printer properties, Transmission Retry under the configure port option. Default is 90 seconds.

Again thanks for your assistance
by Craig O on Mar 7, 2005 at 12:42am Add comment
instalation imprimante hp laser jet 5L en attente d'une réponce
merci pour votre coopération ( important pour instaler mon imprimante
by Anonymous on Nov 6, 2005 at 4:34am Add comment
The stinking rat bag driver writers for XP made the smallest glob of data sent to the HP 5L 2 MB (I think). Consequently, when you send a complex file to your printer, it blinks for a while and then gives up the ghost. If you go into the printer dialog, click on "properties", then "advanced", then select "raster mode" on the "graphics mode" pull down, you might have a little better luck with those files. It might still lock up, however.

Also, this is not a permanent setting; you will have to do this every time.

..another insidious plot to get us to 86 a poerfectly serviceable printer to buy a *new* pices of junk.

If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail and I will return a .doc file that describes this process in detail.
by k6whp on Nov 7, 2005 at 1:23pm Add comment
Use the epson Laserjet 1500 printer driver for this printer and the whole line, the 5L and 6L, works great!!! - Anonymous
Re: HP LaserJet 5L drivers for XP by k6whp (11/7/05 1:23 PM) reply + / -
The stinking rat bag driver writers for XP made the smallest glob of data sent to the HP 5L 2 MB (I think). Consequently, when you send a complex file to your printer, it blinks for a while and then gives up the ghost. If you go into the printer dialog, click on "properties", then "advanced", then select "raster mode" on the "graphics mode" pull down, you might have a little better luck with those files. It might still lock up, however.

Also, this is not a permanent setting; you will have to do this every time.

..another insidious plot to get us to 86 a poerfectly serviceable printer to buy a *new* pices of junk.

If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail and I will return a .doc file that describes this process in detail.

The above reply from you tweeks my interest. I am having problems (after several months of working just fine) with my HP Laserjet 5L and VISTA. I am sick as I love this printer and actually have a second one on hand as a backup if this first trusty workhorse poops out. Soooo.....does your .doc file have any possible help for the 5L printer and VISTA os? If so, please email it to me at: [email protected] Thanks.

- Anonymous
Was having some problems with the 5L after upgrading to XP. About 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 print jobs would come out messed up, especially printing web pages.

As suggested I changed the driver to the Epson ActionLaser 1500 (included on the WinXP disk). Have not had a bad print since. Even tested on pages that wouldn't print using the HP driver.

The only hitch is when printing I often get a pop up telling me "the document failed to print." But once the printer starts the message goes away and it prints just fine.

Thanks for the advice.
by Anonymous on Mar 10, 2006 at 11:59am Add comment
Since it uses a standard pcl driver, why don't you try another driver such as the HP III or HP 4000 and see what happens.
by dmzcompute on Mar 10, 2006 at 12:02pm Add comment

just a note:

I also have HP 5L printer and could not print.

I tried the change of Driver Epson 1500 Actionlaser and it works beautifully. I have been so upset with this printer. I love it but it wasn't working since installing the new service pack from MSFT. I went everywhere, except here of course, and could not fix the problem.

I just want to thank you for your help! And I want to confirm it does work and with no error messages and much faster now too!!!

Thank you Again!
LArry
by unknown on Mar 16, 2006 at 12:12pm Add comment
Brilliant.. worked for me.. I had PDF's and TIFFs printing out on 2 pages ... bottom of original page going on to bottom of new printed page

now it thinks it's an Epson, it's fine :) - Anonymous
I second olraz's response. I was experiencing the same problem with my 5L on XP. In my various attempts to print off a 6 page pdf the 5L would error on the first page. I too tried the "print one page at a time" approach with no luck.

The Epson Action Laser 1500 driver worked great!
by unknown on Mar 18, 2006 at 7:11am Add comment
I THIRD olraz's response.

I was experiencing the same problem with my 5L on XP. I could not print PDF files or anything from the internet via my web browser.

The Epson Action Laser 1500 driver works great! Get with the program HP..!!!!

by unknown on Apr 3, 2006 at 7:02pm Add comment
Would the HP 6L printer driver be a better option, it allows printing at 600 DPI, where as the Epsom Laser 1500 only allows 300 DPI. Apparently the HP6L printer is similar to the HP 5L?
David
by unknown on Apr 5, 2006 at 8:50am Add comment
Refresh. David
by unknown on Apr 8, 2006 at 7:35am Add comment
Thank You! Thank You! Thank you!
The Epson Action Laser 1500 driver worked great!
by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2006 at 7:08am Add comment
Thanks,, tried the HP6L, seems to work great now
by georged49 on Apr 27, 2006 at 7:43am Add comment
georged49 - did you try the HP6L driver in XP, did it work OK on the HP5L. This would give you 600DPI where as the Epsom 1500 mentioned above only gives 300 DPI ? Thanks David
by Anonymous on Apr 27, 2006 at 7:57am Add comment
I was also having problems with the HP driver, and spent 30mins on the phone with HP support. They could not help me in the end.
I installed the Epson action laser 1500 driver and it works like a charm. Thanks.
by Anonymous on May 1, 2006 at 7:35am Add comment
Thank You! Thank You!
My HP LaserJet 5L has been working badly for years. I gave up hope that I would be able to use it again and unplugged it. I am so happy that I found your advice. I love this printer. The Epson Action Laser 1500 driver is working great!
by unknown on May 16, 2006 at 2:00am Add comment
can someone help my 5L doesnt print i used the epson one the 5l one the 5l pcl one all of them can someone please help.
by unknown on May 16, 2006 at 3:08pm Add comment
iceyman,

You need to narrow down if you have a driver issue or a printer issue. Lets do a test first. Press the button on the printer and see if it prints a self test. If it does not print a self test, does it make any noises like trying to print and/or do any of the lights on the printer come on. If it does print we now know the printer itself is working and the issue is now the computer, driver, cable or interface on the printer. Lets do a quick test to try and narrow it down further. If using XP and I assume you are since you tagged onto the end of a xp post, hit start, run and then type command and hit the enter key. This will bring up a small dos window. At the prompt, type cd\\windows and hit enter. Now type dir >> lpt1 and hit the enter key. Does the printer type a directory? If yes, your issue is the driver and I would delete all the printer drivers and start from scratch and us the HPIII driver to start. When you delete the drivers, turn off the computer and turn it back on and then reload. If it does not print a directory, then you have an issue with the port on the computer, the cable or the port on the printer. To narrow it down further, try hooking it up to another computer with the same cable or try hooking another printer to the end of the current cable and report back what happens.
by dmzcompute on May 16, 2006 at 3:50pm Add comment
it did the self test - unknown
when i did the dos it said cannot find the file specified
by unknown on May 16, 2006 at 4:05pm Add comment
Then you did not type it correctly. When you do the cd\\windows and hit enter this time type dir and hit enter and the screen should list a mess of files. When it finishes listing, again type dir >> lpt1 and hit enter. The ">" is an uppercase . key and there is a space between the r and the > and a space between the second > and the l. If it gives you the same message as I said before you are typing something wrong.
by dmzcompute on May 16, 2006 at 4:10pm Add comment
its says it was unexpected at this time
by unknown on May 16, 2006 at 4:26pm Add comment
I have no idea what you are saying. A simple dos command is a simple dos command so if you get a message like that, either you have typed the command wrong or you have operating system issues and you will need a pc expert to help you. When you type just the dir and hit enter at the windows prompt does it list a directory? All these things should be typed in the little black dos box which comes up on the screen. If you are not getting the little box then you are not getting to a dos prompt. Start, run, type command in the box and hit the enter key to get to the dos window.
by dmzcompute on May 16, 2006 at 4:31pm Add comment
i no i did it right this time but it still says the same thing but anyways i no its not the printer its the driver because it printed the sample sheet
by unknown on May 16, 2006 at 4:43pm Add comment
Maybe yes maybe no. Keep in mind that between the computer and the printer are 4 items which can effect the ability of the printer to print and one of them is on the printer. The first is the operating system and driver, second is the port on the computer, third is the printer cable and fourth is the port on the printer. By what you are telling us you are not computer savy and so I would ask a friend who is for some help.
by dmzcompute on May 16, 2006 at 6:56pm Add comment
hundred thanks to Anonymous for the indication of using "Epson ActionLaser 1500 (included on the WinXP disk)".

<< Re: Re: HP LaserJet 5L drivers for XP..use epson by Anonymous (1/26/06 11:45 AM) reply + / -
Use the epson Laserjet 1500 printer driver for this printer and the whole line, the 5L and 6L, works great!!! >>

No problem with 300 dpi, Use "Super Cell" for better printed image.

tanks again: I've been looking for fix for many years.

PS: I did this page of this forum by google.
by Anonymous on Jun 25, 2006 at 12:59pm Add comment
Hi:

Thanks for the great advice! I installed the Epson Action Laser 1500 driver and it works great with the 5L. I do have a question though. I have the 8MB memory module installed in the printer giving me 9MB of total memory. When I look at properties for the Epson Action Laser 1500 and then go into Device Settings there is an option in there called Installable Options. In here you can select the printer memory size and the max size listed is around 6MB. I selected it but again I have 9MB installed in the printer. What will this do to hurt me and is there a work around which will allow the driver to use all the memory in the printer? If not, does anyone use a different driver that works as well and can also allow all the memory to be used?

Thanks,

Larry
by unknown on Jul 21, 2006 at 11:48am Add comment
Ok, Epson ActionLaser 1500 is a solution but...
...but it ISN'T!!

Try using HP 5L regular drivers and lowering (default) printing resolution from 600 to 300 DPI (which is btw Epson's max res.) and all of your documents will print fine, but I want to print in 600 DPI!!!

I have 1MB of memory installed in my HP 5L and printing in 600 DPI worked perfectly under Windows 98 (I don't care if it uses some optimizations, tricks or "cheats" and some say that it wasn't "really, truly 600 DPI" as long as it looked much, much better than this f**ing 300 DPI).

Is it really possible that there is no solution for this problem?? (and don't tell me to by more memory because IT WORKED under Windows 98 and I won't by more memory!)
by Anonymous on Jul 29, 2006 at 11:23am Add comment
Ok, Epson ActionLaser 1500 is a solution but...
...but it ISN'T!!

Try using HP 5L regular drivers and lowering (default) printing resolution from 600 to 300 DPI (which is btw Epson's max res.) and all of your documents will print fine, but I want to print in 600 DPI!!!

I have 1MB of memory installed in my HP 5L and printing in 600 DPI worked perfectly under Windows 98 (I don't care if it uses some optimizations, tricks or "cheats" and some say that it wasn't "really, truly 600 DPI" as long as it looked much, much better than this f**ing 300 DPI).

Is it really possible that there is no solution for this problem?? (and don't tell me to by more memory because IT WORKED under Windows 98 and I won't by more memory!)
by Anonymous on Jul 29, 2006 at 11:25am Add comment
Try the Epson AL 1600 which has 600 DPI and see what happens.
by dmzcompute on Aug 1, 2006 at 4:26pm Add comment
Something went wrong with my last post so resending it… or something similar:

I've already tried that but AL 1600 has 2MB of memory (and I have only 1MB) so some incompatibility occurs and besides that it still doesn't work - it still won't print those pages that it refused to print before (no matter how small they are… I checked that with "print to file"). Any suggestions, ideas, other forums with similar questions… anything?
by Anonymous on Aug 2, 2006 at 8:06am Add comment
How about the HP Laserjet 5 drivers. If that does not work, I have no idea what you can do.
by dmzcompute on Aug 2, 2006 at 3:44pm Add comment
Hmm... It does work... partially.

If I set installed memory to 9MB (as suggested on some website for some similar problem) it prints graphics quite well (and that's one of the things I needed) but it's text printing is quite strange - I suppose because HP 5 driver wasn't intended for usage with HP 5L in the first place.

Has anyone solved this problem entirely (without buying more memory)? Is there something like "Host Based" drivers for XP (like it was for Windows 98) and where can I find them?

Thanx for your answers!
by Anonymous on Aug 3, 2006 at 12:18pm Add comment
I've had this problem before, I found, somewhere on the www a very old HP driver voor the 5L, and after installing it under XP you get extra options, when switched to vector, it worked fine! Only, stupid me, i've had a computer crash and can't find this driver anywhere...

@all, someone knows where to find this driver?
by unknown on Sep 3, 2006 at 2:15pm Add comment
When I attemt to print a pdf file, my 5l sometimes "cuts" some pages and continues their printing in next page. Has anyone faced this problem? No prob with doc files so far.
by downfoot on Sep 13, 2006 at 3:38am Add comment

Like mentioned previously, using the Epson 1500 driver works because it's limitied to 300 dpi.

I use the same Hp 5L PCL driver for Windows 2000, with XP, and it works fine at even 600 dpi with complex web pages and pdf files. (make sure it's the PCL driver and not the regular 5L driver that comes with Windows - go to "Printing Preferences" then "Basic" tab then "About" to verify the version)

Driver Details:

HP 5L PCL 5e version 4.3.2.200 07/10/02
(can be downloaded from HP's website)

Run the executable file and extract the files to a known folder. Update the driver by using "Have Disk" and point it to the "HP5L.INF" file in the new folder.

Thanks to the repair kit for the printer on this site. I've had my 5L running since it was first introduced, and LOVE it!!!

Mike
by mgorin on Sep 26, 2006 at 4:48am Add comment
Here where I am, NZ.

The ink toner is $120NZ a new printer a cheap laser like the Brothers can be had for $140NZ. I would get the new printer and it goes faster as well ..... couple yrs more modern.
by Anonymous on Oct 11, 2006 at 9:16pm Add comment

THANKS for suggesting DRIVER "HP 5L PCL 5e version 4.3.2.200"

I tried the other solution but 300dpi gives a grainy printjob

I did a search in google for "HP 5L PCL 5e version 4.3.2.200" and downloaded the driver off

http://www.driver100.com/driver/397/5583/HP_LaserJet_5L_pcl_5e.html

It seems to work so far. I can print a 600dpi pdf that i couldn't before with the standard xp driver.

There is a trick to installing it though, you have to use the "add printer" button, because right clicking and installing the inf doesn't always work. If you install it properly it should ask if you want to install the non licenced driver and you say yes....

you have to 'add printer' not update printer, especially if you are trying to access a hp laserjet 5l over network
by bouncingmolar on Dec 5, 2006 at 5:33am Add comment
I have never had a proper driver for my 5L. It worked fine in most cases but would usually truncate pages and pixillate text when printing PDF files. The driver HP 5L PCL 5e version 4.3.2.200 at http://www.driver100.com/driver/397/5583/HP_LaserJet_5L_pcl_5e.html has solved the problem. THANKS!!! - Anonymous
I had probs printing complex pages. Tried the EP1500 mentioned above it worked but at 300dpi the images were not very good. Tried the HP6L (600DPI) and ALL PROBS SOLVED. David
by Anonymous on Dec 5, 2006 at 11:25am Add comment
Here's a solution for those of you getting poor quality graphics but still need to or choose to use the Epson driver for the 5L.

In the printer preferences (advanced button) set your graphics quality to 300x300 and halftoning to supercell. - Anonymous
I LOVE the internet. My workhorse of HP Laser5L worked for years until I "upgraded" to XP - then it started to truncate pdf files etc... I worked with that until just recently it decided to stop printing half way through a job. Took it in and the shop printed pages and pages without a problem.

Found this forum and am now printing using the HP LaserJet6L and that seems to work.

Why of why is it that the "experts" so often don't have the answers and when I turn to a forum - there it is?

I have saved myself hundreds of $$ this way.

- ElaineJanice
Using the Win 2000 driver solved our problem as well.
Thanks a lot.
We still really like our HP printer, and this way we don't have to send it to a landfill.

by unknown on Feb 18, 2007 at 4:24pm Add comment
hp5l
by Anonymous on Mar 13, 2007 at 11:03am Add comment
I tried HP 5L PCL 5e version 4.3.2.200 and that seems to work
google for it
by Anonymous on Mar 16, 2007 at 4:49pm Add comment
Epson..!! is gr8...
but i m trying the version as u told .. ok
Then wil tell u ..byez
by unknown on Mar 29, 2007 at 8:30am Add comment
I tried googling but every download link connects to ftp.hp.com which doesn't work. Please help. I really need to try these drivers!
by nack on Mar 29, 2007 at 3:18pm Add comment
Can anyone post these drivers somewhere? Please...
by nack on Apr 6, 2007 at 5:58am Add comment
I have read all your suggestions; but do not see my problem.
I am trying to use the 5L on a laptop without a printer port so am using a USB cable and do not know how to configure this port,
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Terry
by unknown on Apr 8, 2007 at 10:43pm Add comment
I have used my 5L on a desktop with a parallel to USB cable. Worked fine. At what point are you getting stuck? Are you telling it the correct USB port to install the printer to? - Anonymous
Thanks for the help. I did try one USB port; but did not try the other one; but have now put it away and will take another printer with me for the show. Next time I will will try that.
I appreciate you helping. HP says that printer does not support USB; but there are others that have made it work. So I will try it another time.
Thanks,
ulcs
Terry
by unknown on Apr 9, 2007 at 2:38pm Add comment
I got the epson driver to work, but the 300dpi was unacceptable even with the "Super Cell" option enabled, although it was refreshing just to be able to print again.

I then used the HP 5L PCL driver, which solved the problem entirely with 600dpi and flawless printing. However, as bouncingmolar noted previously, the installation is tricky. I got the setup to work after deleting the printer (and the TCP/IP port I use to connect to my print server), restarting, and installing from scratch (including recreating the TCP/IP port). Now, all is well, and I can continue to use this old HP workhorse.

Thanks for everyone's help on this board!
by unknown on Apr 18, 2007 at 11:00am Add comment
Download the Laserjet 5L PCL driver for Windows 2000 and use it in Windows XP. I have never had a problem with the 2000 driver but the XP one messed up ever second job or more.

Download the driver directly from HP here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com
by unknown on Apr 19, 2007 at 5:06pm Add comment
You can also try the Epson AL1600 driver which is a 600 dpi driver.
by dmzcompute on Apr 19, 2007 at 6:31pm Add comment
Hi guys,

thx to all of you for the great advice

my issue was that if i print a web page i get crap printed in the first two lines of the page, instead of the printed page with the web page on

some times the printer would print and then say there is no paper
in the tray. when i can see it sitting right there.

also when i printed i only got the outline of the text and not
a clear filled text especially on bold words

some times when i printed, the page would be as if there wasn't enough toner left and it would skip lines in the text.

the epson 1500 driver worked great, but i was limited to 300Dpi.
i also set the paper tray to manual on the upper paper tray, that sorted the no paper issue.

i installed the xp 6L driver and it seems to be working just fine
now.

Thanx Again
BioG.
by BioGizzard on May 3, 2007 at 2:25am Add comment
This driver lj368en.exe works very well with XP.

However, this driver doesn't work with vista (impossible to install it). Vista has its own driver embedded for HP5L.

anyone has a clue for using HP5L with Vista ?

thanx
by unknown on May 26, 2007 at 6:00am Add comment
Installed 5L with windows xp o/s....Used a parallel port to usb adaptor....the printer wakes up from sleep mode evertime I shut down my computer and installs the printer again when I turn my computer back on.

Does anyone have similar problems ? Any help will be appreciated.
by unknown on Jun 30, 2007 at 12:44pm Add comment
I have tried each option listed here for the HP5L on XP. The 2000 driver (HP 5L PCL 5e version 4.3.2.200) that is working for everyone else just prints the top part and botom part of my photos/graphics in Microsoft PhotoDraw. Very frustrating. The printer prints out a test page from Windows and the HP test page from puching the button on the printer without a hitch.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
by unknown on Jul 11, 2007 at 3:07pm Add comment
experts? what experts are you referring to? at repair shops, or telephone operators cum computer operators at the manufacturer (esp hp) support line based in india :p

forums are usually run by experts themself. and on top of that experts from all over the world reading them :)

plus, people like me who are not quite experts but willing to share our experiences :)
by Anonymous on Aug 4, 2007 at 6:08pm Add comment
Well - I thought I had solved the problem.

I have tried both the HPLaserJet 6L and the Epson drivers suggested here.

I ran the tests (printed a test page, ran the dir>>lpt1 command) - they are fine.

My issue - the printer starts to print a page and "stalls" - either just in the feed tray or half way through the fuser. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason for this "stalling". I am never sure if the job is going to print correctly or not.

This is a fairly recent occurrence - I bought the 5L used and ran it on Windows 98 with no problems - once I upgraded to XP I have had problems printing complex pages and graphics heavy pdf files that were printing just fine before thank you.

I have never had a problem with the paper just "sticking" and the print job "stalling" before.

Can anyone suggest a resolution.

Thanks for your help.
by ElaineJanice on Aug 10, 2007 at 6:15pm Add comment
We recently had this trouble and it was mechanical. The sensor switch just after the fuser was broken. This is what lets the printer know that the paper didn't wrap up in the fuser.
The plastic flag was broken off (likely from yanking a sheet of labels out backwards when it jammed).
We were able to repair it with a piece of paper clip wire and some superglue. Also a pin vise with a small drill bit. Had to take it apart quite a bit, not recommended for the nonmechanically inclined or faint of heart. - Anonymous
needs more memory with win xp. that's why you have trouble printing complex documents.
by Anonymous on Aug 12, 2007 at 11:29pm Add comment
I understand that I need more memory to print some documents, but as I said in my original post - I have NEVER had an issue with the print job just "stalling" before with the paper halfway through the fuser or only just starting out of the feed tray.

I ran the tests that someone suggested before - printed a test page and ran the dir>>lpt1 command) - they are fine.

Any other suggestions for a solution - this printer worked just fine when I took it in to the printer repair shop so I know that it's something on my end and not the printer itself.

Thanks for the help.
by ElaineJanice on Aug 12, 2007 at 11:45pm Add comment
my co-worker and I spent 1hr trying to fix this problem and we have found a solution. you need to change the print style to RAW instead of Text that should fix the problem.

right click the printer
properties
advance tab
print processor
then change it to RAW on the right hand side!

let me know if you have any problems
by unknown on Aug 27, 2007 at 11:06am Add comment
I have 5L connected to LTP1. No problems untill the resent update of XP. Now when I try to print it appears that my printer is ofline though it is set online at Printers and Faxes. My printer is OK with another computer - not connected to Internet, so not updated. I tried to connect through USB. Failed for it was not even seen. Could you suggest anything?
by Margarita on Sep 12, 2007 at 1:06am Add comment
i,m using laserjet 6l and having same problem with all (well most) of you guys here
5l pcl doesn't work
i find a 6l pcl and works like a charm
http://h20000.www2.hp.com

may be someone still need it just give a try
and thanks for all the input
by Anonymous on Sep 25, 2007 at 4:20am Add comment
I tried everything in this forum and the best print output that I saw is using the HP 6L PCL driver. I printed a pdf file set on 600dpi without any problem at all.
by unknown on Sep 30, 2007 at 6:31pm Add comment
Amazing!!! The drivers 4.3.2.200 works!!!
I'm so happy!

Thanks everybody.
by unknown on Jan 5, 2008 at 6:54am Add comment
Thanks to everyone who has posted to this thread!

I have now managed to print great complex documents at 600dpi for the first time since I got my hands on a Laserjet 5L over 18 months ago!

I have found that the 5L PCL driver is working fine but have got the 6L PCL driver to hand just in case!!

Thanks
by MeToo on Feb 11, 2008 at 8:09am Add comment
Indied, the first time I have got my HP 5L working correctly since I am on XP (sereral months) is with the XP Epson ActionLaser 1500 driver.

It also work correctly with the USB to parallel cable (what the original HP drivers does not).

With the XP HP 5L driver, USB to parallel was used but all pages ware cutted in two bits, not verry usefull driver.

The only minus with the Epson driver, but really does not matters at the moment, is that the printer resolution is 300dpi iso 600dpi, but it works fine.

Why HP can not fix something that Epson can, its still a mistery for me, cause I lost quite a time with this.

Thanks all guys for your tips.
Marc
by unknown on Jul 10, 2008 at 12:24pm Add comment
Thanks a lot these comments!!!
by Anonymous on Aug 25, 2008 at 8:37pm Add comment
Use HP6L driver to get back to 600 DPI, I have used it for some time with NO probs. David
by Anonymous on Aug 26, 2008 at 6:26am Add comment
I use a USB only PC, with a USB to // converter cable to connect the HP5L printer. With this converter cable in place, I did not manage to make the HP6L (or HP5L) orginal driver work. Thats wy I went to the Epson's one.
Greetings,
Marc
- Anonymous
THANXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
by Anonymous on Nov 3, 2008 at 2:09am Add comment
Thank you, thank you, thank you all. My daughter's 5L is now up and running with the Epson ActionLaser 1500 disguise. The resolution issue is not an issue - she prints out research info and the PDF docs were a mess - but that is now in the past. A middle finger to Microsoft for not doing their homework and a "shame on you" to HP for the same.

by MyDogZoe on Feb 1, 2009 at 3:02pm Add comment
Try Driver for HP 6L from XP itself. I use this driver on my XP PC to HP 5L, works a treat. David
by Anonymous on Mar 30, 2009 at 6:01am Add comment
Hello, I am french, proof that there is no borders for the problems.
My printer has only 1 MO memory installed. Y had the same problem described on this forum, solved after using HP5LPCL driver.
but : When printing PDF page there is a thin vertical black line at the right hand of each page.
I try for some days searching on the net, but no answer.
Does somebody have encontered this defect, and found a solution.
Thanks a lot.
Alex
by alexsand on Apr 11, 2009 at 1:53pm Add comment
Thanks's a lot to anonymus for your answer, but in my case it appears only when printing a PDF file, not when printing a word text or a gaphic page.
For this reason I don't suspect a mechanical problem. The other thing is, the line appeared after installation of WinXP and PCL driver, not whith Win98.
Alex
by Anonymous on May 3, 2009 at 9:05am Add comment
David, THANK YOU!!! I have never been able to print PDF documents properly and was about to give up on this great little printer. I uninstalled it and then re-installed it as a 6L and now it works perfectly! This is the kind the thing the internet was meant to do!
by trw on May 15, 2009 at 6:13pm Add comment
Hello trw,
Do you have memory upgrade installed on your printer ?
In my case I have only basic 1Mo.
Do you use HP6L PCL or HP6L driver ?
Do you use XP driver or HP driver ?
thank's a lot.
Alex - Anonymous
Hello Alex,
I have no memory upgrades.
I used the HP 6L in the printer setup in the XP Control Panel.
I let XP install the driver.
Hope that helps.
by trw on May 19, 2009 at 8:35am Add comment
Hello friends,
Unfortunately, I have installed HP6L driver from XP control panel,and I get a page without line, but if the page is too much loaded, the Yellow led comes on with message "Not enough memory".
In the mean time, I have found a distributor in France for a 8Mb extension memory. I hope it is the solution of my problems.
I will provide new asap.
Bye - Anonymous
I just noticed I am getting some minor random characters on PDF printing - about 1 random character per several pages. If anyone has any suggestions, please post. Thanks.
by trw on May 19, 2009 at 12:16pm Add comment
Hello,
Just recieved and installed 8MB expension.
Self test gives 9MB installed.
PDF prints Look good with "Hewlet packard Laserjet 5L" driver after some ajustments to increase graphics quality.
Bye
Alex
by Anonymous on May 28, 2009 at 10:15am Add comment
Worked for me! Revived my HPLJ 5L with the Epson 1500 drivers!

Thank You!
by Anonymous on Jun 3, 2009 at 7:02am Add comment
Hi

I am at wits end in finding a driver that makes the laserjet5l work with vista....any luck?

by reblen on Aug 16, 2009 at 7:13am Add comment
Hi Reblen,

I have tried many drivers any worked vista.

Let me know if you get a solution
by unknown on Aug 16, 2009 at 7:50am Add comment
So so so many thanks guys
by Anonymous on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:35am Add comment
Have you tried the HP6L driver, I had memory problems, which were solved with this driver in XP. Worth a try in Vista. David
by Anonymous on Nov 26, 2009 at 5:28am Add comment
I tried many drivers, none worked. I bought a parallel to USB cable, did not work.

Finally I went and bought a parallel card and installed it, and that works fine.

What a mess!

Good luck guys
by reblen on Nov 26, 2009 at 9:06am Add comment
You bought a 'parallel card' (I haven't a clue as to what that is, but have a techhie friend will help me)! My question originally was for HP Laser Jet 5L drivers for Windows Vista......that is the OS I have. I can possibly get a copy of XP from my husband, but I already have nasty VISTA. What's funny is that the 'marriage of computer to printer' worked for several weeks when I first got the Vista. But, it began to 'act up' never to print w/o problems again. The printers work find with a Win 2000 program on an old desktop....so, I know they are OK. Do you have any experience with HP LJ 5L and VISTA? Thanks. Diana - Anonymous
Hi Diana - I sympathize!

Yes, I am using the 5L with Vista, and it works fine with the built in drivers, but only after I connected the printer with an old parallel cable. Trying every which way to use a parallel to USB connection did not work.

The problem is that most newer computers do not have a built in parallel port. You can get a parallel card on Ebay for around $5, most people have an old parallel cable hanging around somewhere, and once that is in your computer, you should be good to go.

Good Luck!

Len
by reblen on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:42pm Add comment
I am using the 5L with Vista. It is tax time and I want to print my 1040 from TurboTax. I fixed this problem last year with my XP computer by downgrading to the 5L PCL drivers. This year, I have Vista and the printer is running out of memory again. I found a work-around that allowed me to print. I set the DPI to 300 and turned on EconoMode and now I am printing. The quality is diminished, but it's good enough for my files.
by mseidl on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:49pm Add comment
Thank You

Best Regards,
Eng.Mohamed Ezz
by unknown on May 19, 2010 at 12:59am Add comment
I am trying to use my much beloved HPLJ5L with a Parallel to USB connector on my Mac, at Snowleopard. This setup works fine using HPLJ6L driver on my HP PC.

As soon as I hookitup, the Mac recognizes it has a USB printer attached, and brings up "Add Printer", and lets me pick the driver. I select HPLJ5L (Gutenprint v5.2.3) (The 6L uses the same driver)

The Add button doesn't work. I have had a call into Apple for 2 weeks now, they have not solved the problem.

I know this is a Uturn, anyone out there tried this? If Apple solves the problem I'll let you all know.

by unknown on May 22, 2010 at 3:50pm Add comment
Fantastic information.

My LJ5L has been playing up for ages. As well as not printing some documents properly, it would also crash the PC. Particularly when printing a large PDF file, it might print a few pages then the PC would crash.

It wouldn't crash nicely with a BSOD, instead the screen would just freeze and mouse and keyboard would not respond, requiring a hard reset and re boot.

Since reading this site and upgrading to the HP 5L PCL 5e version 4.3.2.200 driver, all is well again.

A big thank you.
by unknown on Jul 17, 2010 at 3:15pm Add comment
Further to the above post. I have another problem.

I also have a Windows Vista Laptop. My LJ5L is set up on my XP desktop for sharing. The Vista laptop used to work okay.

But now, since updating the driver on the desktop PC, if I try and access the printer from the laptop, I get the error:
"Windows cannot connect to the printer. The printer driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT4.0 drivers"

So I guess the obvious question is how do I turn off this policy on the Vista laptop?
by unknown on Jul 18, 2010 at 4:18am Add comment
It's me again. I've solved the Windows Vista laptop problem.

I've set it up on Vista as a local printer on LPT1, then redirected lpt1 by entering the command "net use lpt1 \\\\office\\lj5l / persistent:yes"

So now the printer has it's own local driver on the Vista PC.

But that wasn't all. Neither the LJ5 or LJ6 drivers within Vista would work properly, and I could not find a Vista driver for the Epson mentioned above.

In the end I got it working using the Vista driver "HP Laserjet Family Driver PCL5"

I hope this helps some of you.
by unknown on Jul 18, 2010 at 5:04am Add comment
Hello everyone, i found out that the driver lj368en.exe is the same driver as the HP 5L PCL 5e version 4.3.2.200 07/10/02 and it is the right one for WinXP!!! Don't know if it works on Vista and Windows7
by unknown on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:56am Add comment
Bonjour, J'ai un problème d'insuffisance de mémoire avec mon imprimante Laser Jet 5L de H.P. avec Windows XP. Est-ce possible de simplement ajouter de la mémoire ou si c'est plutôt relié au pilote?
Si je peux seulement ajouter de la mémoire, ça serait laquelle? et Où puis-je en trouver?
Merci! à tous ceux ou celles qui peuvent et veulent me répondre.
by unknown on Nov 2, 2012 at 7:22pm Add comment