unknown

asked Nov 10, 2004 at 5:11am
Epson Epson Stylus Color 480

epson 480 after unknown error

Hi,

I have an epson stylus color 480 that had the 'unkown' error. I have used a software to reset the counter and it restarted to move as if it was going to print but now it doesn't print anything.

The ink cartridge are almost new.

What should I do to identify what is the problem ?

The epson authorized technician told me to buy a new printer.
Jones: WE NEED MORE INFORMATION TO GO ON, BEFORE WE CAN TRY AND HELP...Are you still getting that unknown error message? Are you getting any other service related messages? Are there any Red FLASHING or SOLID Error Lights showing up on the printer itself, that may indicate a possible Service Error Condition? Actually let us know exactly what the light pattern on your printer is: Lighta are on SOLID, FLASHING, OFF, or any combination of those three. Does the Printer simply work as normal, trying to print as normal, but the paper comes out blank? Check your ink levels on the STATIS MONITOR, on your Computer System. Do the ink cartridges show that they actually have ink in them, or is there some type of error showing up, instead of an actual ink level? Are there any strange GRINDING or RATCHETING type noises, when you try to do a print job? If the paper comes out of the printer, as normal, is there any ink showing up at all on the paper at all, or possibly some strange "jibberish" [random symbols and characters], which would indicate a possible communication problems?...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Nov 10, 2004 at 10:59am Add comment

I have an epson Stylus Color 480 and I have the same problem.

I changed the empty cartridges and the printer function normally but after some days the problem start. The message said that An unknown error has occurred.
Unplug your printer and contact your dealer or authorized service center.
one symbol exclamation appears in yellow over the icon printer only when the message appears and the satatus ink marks that the cartbridges are ok.
Thanks,
anabella

by unknown on Feb 23, 2005 at 6:55am Add comment
Anabella: A Service Error where you get an "Unknown Error Message", or a "General Error Message", is normally a Maintenance Request Error. The maintenance request error is actually a Waste Ink Ink Pad Error and usually your remedy is to replace the Waste Ink Pad/Pads with a new one/ones and then reset the Internal Waste Ink Pad Counter. If you just reset the counter and don't replace the pads, then your printers old pads will eventually overflow and normally start leaking ink out the bottom of your printer. You can see "Exploded Parts Diagrams" of most Epson Ink Jet Printers and can also check on possible parts ordering, by Compass Micro Inc, at http://www.compassmicro.com/parts_select.cfm . Some people actually wash the ink out of the old pads, by holding them under running cold water. Then they simply dry them out and reinstall them back into their printer. The choice on what to actually do, is yours to make. I would at least recommend getting that Waste Ink Counter reset procedure and performing it first, to make sure your printer will then work...THIS ADDITIONAL INFO MIGHT ALSO BE OF SOME HELP: Tim H 12/10/2003 2:46:24 Subject: Epson Reset Program Download Location. after a long search for a reset program for waste ink, without paying, i found it. goto: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/sscserve.exe . please check that your printer is compatible goto: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html . this program has other features as well...Unfortunatly, that "SSC Service Utility" does not work on all Epson Printers and not on all Operating Systems and sometimes will not even work on actually listed printer models, so you will have to check it out for yourself. Just in case that source does not work: You may actually need to go on-line to try and locate a "SERVICE MANUAL" and or the actual "RESET PROCEDURE", to buy and download for reference in disassembly, troubleshooting and servicing. I have not checked, but you can normally find the Reset Procedures for most Epson Printers, from 2manuals.com, at http://www.2manuals.com/index.php?cPath=2_18 . That reset procedure is usually available for around $10.00 [+/-]. There is a free download of an "Epson Stylus Color 480 Service Manual", from fixyourownprinter.com, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/public/epson . That manual may be of some help to you, in actual disassembly and servicing of those waste ink pads. However, you will normally still need the actual reset procedure, to be able to correct that waste ink counter error condition...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Feb 23, 2005 at 9:52am Add comment
I have a 480SXU that was a devoted
workhorse, but recently stopped
working and has on-screen messages
of 1) communication error or
2) unknown error. I tried un-installing
and re-installing, but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions? I miss my printer!
by unknown on Mar 18, 2005 at 8:10pm Add comment
Rick: A Service Error where you get an "Unknown Error Message", or a "General Error Message", is normally a Maintenance Request Error. The maintenance request error is actually a Waste Ink Ink Pad Error and usually your remedy is to replace the Waste Ink Pad/Pads with a new one/ones and then reset the Internal Waste Ink Pad Counter. If you just reset the counter and don't replace the pads, then your printers old pads will eventually overflow and normally start leaking ink out the bottom of your printer. You can see "Exploded Parts Diagrams" of most Epson Ink Jet Printers and can also check on possible parts ordering, by Compass Micro Inc, at http://www.compassmicro.com/parts_select.cfm . Some people actually wash the ink out of the old pads, by holding them under running cold water. Then they simply dry them out and reinstall them back into their printer. The choice on what to actually do, is yours to make. I would at least recommend getting that Waste Ink Counter reset procedure and performing it first, to make sure your printer will then work...THIS ADDITIONAL INFO MIGHT ALSO BE OF SOME HELP: Tim H 12/10/2003 2:46:24 Subject: Epson Reset Program Download Location. after a long search for a reset program for waste ink, without paying, i found it. goto: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/sscserve.exe . please check that your printer is compatible goto: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html . this program has other features as well...Unfortunatly, that "SSC Service Utility" does not work on all Epson Printers and not on all Operating Systems and sometimes will not even work on actually listed printer models, so you will have to check it out for yourself. Just in case that source does not work: You may actually need to go on-line to try and locate a "SERVICE MANUAL" and or the actual "RESET PROCEDURE", to buy and download for reference in disassembly, troubleshooting and servicing. I have not checked, but you can normally find Service Manuals & Reset Procedures for most Epson Printers, from 2manuals.com, at http://www.2manuals.com/index.php?cPath=2_18 . Most Service Manuals can usually be downloaded for around $10 [+/-]. The reset Procedure is usually available from the same source and is also around $10.00 [+/-]...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Mar 21, 2005 at 10:13am Add comment
help, ive been having trouble with my epson stylus color 580 here, iver read every forum on evry site and it ses only one thing, to reset the waste ink pad counter which i already did!!! i got the sscserve.exe but after that my printer still won't work! its sooo frustrating since ive already tried evry possible way to fix it..the error says :

A general error has occurred.
Click the [Clear] button to clear all print data from the Spool Manager. Remove any foreign objects, packing materials, or jammed paper from inside the printer. After removing the source of the problem, click the [Reset] button. If this error continues to occur, contact your dealer or authorized service center.

but there isn't any paper jammed, i know coz i almost disembalmed my printer last week looking for any jammed piece of paper. and i even brought it to a technician but they can't fix it! can anyone pls pls help me, any idea? is this the end of my printer? is there any other hope? im very broke right now so i can't afford to buy new one, i just thought maybe just maybe theres still hope and theres kind hearted person out thr that will msg me any idea what to do bout it..pls email me at [email protected] and i would sure appreciate it. thanx!
by swemme18 on Feb 16, 2006 at 2:47am Add comment
I have always been getting this error msg inspite of connecting the cables over and over again.
(A communication error has occurred.
Click OK and then check the interface cable type, all cable connections and make sure that all devices are on. If the error persists, unplug the printer then plug it in again.)

Could anybody kindly give some advice as to how to rectify this problem. My printer model is Epson Stylus480.
by unknown on Mar 15, 2006 at 5:16am Add comment
ashpere,
You could try another printer cable, if this does not work and the printer can do a self test (power on while holding the paper button) Try deleting & re-installing the driver for your printer.
Hope this Helps?!
Dazz UK
by hpwizard on Mar 15, 2006 at 5:23am Add comment
hello to everyone !!!!

im from baler aurora philippines i bought my old printer two years ago !!!

i got so many important things to do but then suddenly my old epson

c480sxu stopped .. please lend me your knowledge on how to troubleshoot my precious printer >>.

an unknown error occured ..
by unknown on Sep 8, 2006 at 5:42am Add comment
I have same problem as Jones, It's like epson 480 print blank page, but am not sure if is cartrige empty...Printer has error: 'An unknown error has occurred Unplug your printer and contact your dealer or authorized service center ' so I use sscserve.exe tool to fix counter on 0 like it's wrote on this page http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/4186#7
by unknown on May 4, 2007 at 9:54am Add comment
I have a 480 also. It hadn't been used for a long time. I printed one day and one of the colors was not functioning despite having ink in all the cartridges. I tried the cleanout function which did not help. Recently I opened it up and found that I could remove the 'tray' that holds the ink cartridges,there's a ribbon wire that plugs in the back of it and one screw that holds it in place. After pulling 'tray' soak in distilled (no minerals) water on a slant to keep water off the electonics. Then using canned air blow on the pegs that stick up on top. Those protrude into the cartridges. On the bottom is a flat area where the ink spritzes from. You will see colors come out. The ink dries on the insides over time and will build up like cholesterol. Repeat this procedure leaving tray to soak for an hour to several hours at a time, change water periodically. You'll be amazed at all the junk that keeps coming out. If you wear magnifying glasses, 2-3 power is good, available at dollar tree, et al you can see the teeny orifices on the ink ejection surface. I am almost finished with this proceedure, after three days. I think but am not certain that the blowing has not damaged anything, only time will tell so exercise care and don't drop the tray which is easy to do. Good Luck, Gweedo.
by unknown on May 8, 2007 at 10:31am Add comment
hello guys!

i have an old epson stylus 480 printer. it worked great until we weren't able to use it for a few months because of ink loss. when i had time, i bought the blank ink only. i replaced it, as usual, but when i started printing, the printer looks like it's doing something but nothing appeared on the paper. i tried reinstalling the black cartridge, reinstalling printer driver, checked the physical connection, head cleaning, nozzle check and still the same thing happens. then i realized that when it was printing, it seems like the pad where usually the ink comes is not touching the paper at all! i assume that the pad should somehow touch the paper so that there would be something on the paper, but on my case, it is not touching the paper at all that's why there's nothing coming onto the paper! i tried checking if there is something that is blocking the head to touch the paper but no go. there was no change done on the printer since we last used it, it was never been dropped or soemthing else. please help me. i need to get things done here. i appreciate your help.
by lani on Jun 19, 2007 at 1:12am Add comment
Hello lani
The ink is 'sprayed' onto the paper from hundreds of tiny jets in the print head (hence ink jet). There is no 'pad' which touches the paper. Your problem is likely caused by blocked ink jets. You should get a pack of the cleaning solution sold by this site and follow the instructions. This may free up the jets, but after several months without use, it may prove very difficult to fix.
JaX
by WaveGuide on Jun 19, 2007 at 2:30am Add comment
JaX

thanks for the explanation. i appreciate it!

but do you know what could be the reason why those 'ink jets' became clogged? i'm just curious. so you think this is hardware/physical problem already? is that it? is there any other thing that i can do myself to fix the clogged ink jets?

i am actually planning to buy a new printer. because with this epson, i couldn't refill the ink cartridges. the blank ink only costs me a lot. do you have any suggestions on what would be the best printer i can buy? i am only using it anyway for work and school.

thanks!! - lani
unknown error occured..the printer is printing or it is used by other application visit ur printer dealer ...

those words i wrote is the problem i can't fix...hope u can help me how can i resolve the problem......
by Anonymous on Feb 16, 2008 at 6:09am Add comment
i HAve my EPSON STYLUS C90. At start, when it was new, there is no problem at all. After a week, when I'll print something, a dialog box appear, telling that there is a GENERAL ERROR. iT Also says that I shoUld remOVe foreign objects. I follow it even there is no actually foreign object inside the printer. I also try to turn it off but still when i OPEN IT, THE orange light will apppear again blinking and the problem is still there.

What should I do? Please help me.
by unknown on Sep 22, 2008 at 9:06pm Add comment
I had problem with EPSON Printer TX700W. Is so on screen .A Printer error has occurred. Turn off the Printer and Turn it on again . see your documentation
I follow this massage many times but it stile the same. How should I do now me is dealer.
Thank you in advance!! Please Contact me mail: [email protected] and Skype : limsokha_love. Mr.sokha,

by Anonymous on Jun 19, 2009 at 6:02am Add comment
A Printer error has occurred. Turn off the Printer and Turn it on again . see your documentation
by Anonymous on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:46am Add comment
I had problem with EPSON Printer TX700W. Is so on screen .A Printer error has occurred. Turn off the Printer and Turn it on again . see your documentation
I follow this massage many times but it stile the same. How should I do now me is dealer.
Thank you in advance!! Please Contact me mail: [email protected]
by whpwhpwhp on Dec 22, 2009 at 5:48am Add comment
guys please help me
i bought my printer 2 months ago
i got some technincal problem on my printer
while replacing my printer catridge
communcation error occured
if i try to print is not going to print
i replaces with new ink catridges
and in the maintenance printer replaces catridge is disabled
please save my printer guys
by Anonymous on May 9, 2010 at 3:04pm Add comment
guys please help me
i bought my printer 2 months ago
i got some technincal problem on my printer
while replacing my printer catridge
communcation error occured
if i try to print is not going to print
i replaces with new ink catridges
and in the maintenance printer replaces catridge is disabled
please save my printer guys

and my scanner is working
by abrar on May 9, 2010 at 3:11pm Add comment
Hallo,
habe kurz vor der Verschrottung meines Epson Stylus Color 660 obige Vorschläge ausprobiert - erfolgreich. Damit wird er wohl noch bis die letzte Farbe alle ist, drucken dürfen.
by Sandstein on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:52pm Add comment