unknown

asked Sep 28, 2004 at 8:53pm
Canon Canon Color Bubblejet (BJC) S520

Canon s520

I have a Canon s520 printer. The printer is no longer working, as soon as i plug the power into the printer, the light flashes eight times quickly, pauses then repeats the sequence over and over. Can anyone tell me what this error is? thanks
Printx - where did you get this code from, I would be interested because I have a s630. Thanks David
by unknown on Oct 1, 2004 at 9:04am Add comment
My canon S520 when I turn it on goes...."rum..rum...rum...." but the carriage doesnt move. The resume light flashes green and yellow four times....then green then green/yellow again. I tried the code listed above and nothing....
PLEASE help me.
by kennethrhammac on Jan 18, 2005 at 7:12pm Add comment
Did you ever get an answer to your question? My S520 is doing exactly the same thing... Thx - Anonymous
I have exactly the same problem! Did you find a solution yet?
Please tell me!
Greetings, Marian - Anonymous
Mine did the same. The gear is probably stuck. I opened mine up and moved the mechanism by hand. After about the 3rd time this happened to me I just left the cover off and used it until I replaced my printer. I think it would probably cost more to replace the part than it would to buy another printer. - Anonymous
Too late for anybody whose posted in this thread above, but I've resolved my four (4) alternating orange green flashing problem. Since I came looking here, I thought I'd let the next person know too...

Unplug the printer before you do this!.

I cracked the case open (you'll need a small screwdriver to push the little plastic tabs back, 4 in total 2 at the back and one on each side towards the back. There's a little indented arrow below each slot.)

The print head carriage is generally parked over to the right, because thats where it keeps the head nice and clean and stops the ink tanks drying out.

For me the carriage was freely moveable, if it is not for you then I suggest you have a different problem. You probably don't want to force it.

At the right hand side are some white plastic gears that drive something that slides over the top of what looks to me to be the waste tank.
I could drive roll the gears one way but not the other, and during start up (the rum..rum..rum... noise) I could see the slider thing getting stuck. A little cautious jiggling freed it up, and bingo -- problem fixed.

Good luck!. - unknown
i got the same problem as you. i think the printer has a paper jam but i cant find where it is. it makes the rum rum rum sound and the carriage can only be moved manually, can someone PLZ HELP ME!
by Anonymous on Feb 12, 2005 at 8:42am Add comment
Apparently this is a printhead problem. I have removed the cartridges and cleaned the printheads with nail polish remover. This fixed everything a couple of times but not any longer. When I put the empty cartridge holder back in the 7 orange lights are back. Is the printer toast or is there a solution?
by Explorer on Mar 3, 2005 at 6:29pm Add comment
I had the same problem. I tried flushing it out with water, window cleaner/ammonia solution. It would work for a while then quit. I then blew it out with my air compressor, and that really toasted it. My advice:go to A & M Photo World and buy a refurbished Canon i960 for $89. I like Canon printers because of the individual tanks, plus the quality is excellent. A friend of mine bought a Canon PIXMA IP 4000 with a rebate and a 3 year warranty for $150. If you can purchase a printhead for $30 that would be the way to go. However, most printheads are $75 - $80 and you can buy a new printer for that amount. Also, someone told me (don't repeat this as the gospel) that printers have a 2 year life expectancy that is monitored by a timer chip. For that reason, you should only turn the printer on for the duration of time you need to print something. I would be very interested to know if indeed this is a fact or fiction. I did find out that all of this garbage that the sellspeople tell you that if you use an ink cartridge other than those made by Canon, you will void the warranty. This is a bunch of bunk, because they cannot legally do that. - Anonymous
Hi, My S520 just stopped working. The light flashes quickly four times in succession. It is giving me two service error codes. They are, 5C00, and 5100. Does anyone know what to do?
by unknown on Feb 22, 2005 at 10:09am Add comment
Hi there

Did anyone tell you what the hell to do when you get that service error report c500, my i560 does the same and I was wondering what it could be. Thanks. - Anonymous
I have an s520 that misfeeds paper. How can I refresh the feed rollers?
by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2005 at 7:39pm Add comment
I replaced an ink cartridge after which the printer fails to respond in any way. The green power light comes on and stays on and the printhead remains in the center position. I can not then turn the power off except by unplugging the printer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
by unknown on Mar 9, 2005 at 12:32pm Add comment
Here is the solution to all the S520 (and related 750, 820 and 900) printer waste tank and orange flash problems.

Each print job wastes a bit of ink in the post print cleaning sequence. The post print job noise you hear is a little pump cleaning the heads and moving the waste ink into an absorbent pad (the infamous "waste ink tank") located underneath the printer frame (when new, the pad is white). The machine keeps track of how many print jobs you do and eventualy decides that you need to replace the pad since it is theoretically saturated and will not absorb more ink. The excess will begin to fill the bottom of the printer. At that time the machine starts the seven orange flashes to indicate "tank full" and will no longer print. Resetting the count will allow you to continue, however, you are now at risk of collecting ink under the frame, with a nasty potential to run all over your rug/clothes/the dog/etc. Thus the pad needs either cleaning (not very effective) or replacement (relatively easy).

Call ABC Electronics, a Canon dealer in San Francisco (415 550 3100), and speak to John, a real nice guy and very cooperative. Not only will he give you the code sequence to reset the "tank full" state, he will sell you a replacement pad for the machine (this is the "waste ink tank"). The cost (3/29/05) is about $5 plus shipping. Although the pad can be removed and cleaned (sort of), the ink is comprised of very fine particles and consequentlty it is impossible to completely clean the pad, and very wasteful of water to boot.

The difficulty to replace the pad is akin to replacing a toaster oven element, a job for any 5 year old. Just be careful. Power the machine and open the lid to move the head carriage to the center. Then remove power cord. Remove the print carriage from the carrier (not the tanks, the whole carriage assembly), by lifting up the gray lever. Put a piece of cellophane tape (musn't use the word Scotch) over the head openings to protect them from damage and lay the assembly on its side. The ink will not run out nor will it dry out.

The head can be cleaned with filtered water after removing the cartidges, just be extremely careful not to damage the head surfaces (look at them with a 10x lens to see just how small the openings are and how easy it is to damage them).

There are four slots in the back with tabs inside that must be depressed in order to free the top. There are two tabs underneath that must be pushed in to free the power inlet box (it slides up and back, watch out for the wire connector when the box comes free). There are two screws that hold the frame to the bottom, one on each side near the back corner of the frame. They are gold with a washer head. Remove those and lift and wiggle the frame up and out to the rear.

On the right side of the head travel path, where the head sits when not printing, are two small pads, one square and one rectangular. They are supposed to be white, probably they are black. Carefully pluck those out with tweezers and wash them (very inky!!). Be careful of the little plastic shields near the pads.

In the chassis box is a narrow thick pad on top of the waste pad. This does not seem to collect ink (at least in mine it did not). Remove this and then the waste pad. You can try to clean the waste pad (use warm filtered water since you need to get rid of the ink particles in the pad), however, it is a big waste of water and a hell of a lot easier to throw it away and put a new one in (get it from John, or perhaps from another cooperative Canon dealer nearer to you, some are downright nasty when asked to sell a replacement pad).

I have done the above procedure twice over the years and I essentially get a new printer each time. The Canon service manual can be purchased from "2manuals.com" as a PDF for $6.99. It gives you all the service notes and warnings, however, no disassembly procedures. A good book to have.

In general, I think the S520 is a good printer, perhaps a bit wasteful of ink but that may be the price you pay for photo quality prints, IMHO. And it is fast enough for government work :))

ciao
Indy
by unknown on Mar 30, 2005 at 9:37am Add comment
Hi, I've been having the same problem with my s520. I would like to know whether you have ABC Electronic's website so that i could check whether they sell these replacement pads online, since i live in Malta. Can you please help? - Anonymous
Thanks for the long explanation, Indy.

Problem is that that may fix the 8 flashing lights but it didn't fix the seven, which says there is a print head problem.

Explorer3w - unknown
Hi, I have been having the same 7 orange flashes with my s520. I'm trying to free the printer from it's frame but I still have not been able to do it. Do you have ABC Electronic's website to check whether they sell these replacement pads online, since I live in Malta? - claireattard
An absorber kit which includes parts manual, service manual with reset codes is available from ABC at http://www.abctechinc.com/canonkit.htm for $40. Not all models are available though because Canon does not supply them to service centers as these printers are considered 'disposable'. - Anonymous
I have viewed the posts from 3/2005. Have had the printer 3 years and used it fairly regularly.
I have let it sit idle for months on end with no problem. Live in Colorado, very dry, computer repair store said if one doesnt use it at least once a week, the head gets dried ink in it and is ruined.
This last time, I used it, I noticed that the lines were getting lighter, but not everyone. The ink tank guage seemed to indicate I had enough black ink.
I finally, after 2 -3 pages, hanged to a new cartridge and it seemed to fix it, at first the ink, black, started to get light for 2 or 3 lines, but then the rest of the page was ok.

Then, as I printed, the next 10 pages, everything seemed fine.

Let it sit idle for a while, say a month or so, then printed something last week and saw some streaking, i.e., missing part of line of print, but overall it was good.

Now a week later, tried to print, black wont print. When I run the check nozzle and alignment, at least I get the black lines to print, but the numbers don't appear.
Have gone thru cleaning, nozzle check, 2x,
then deep cleaning 2x, nozzle checking each time, then, cleaning again. still nothing.
Can print a page with colors,internet, but black letters don't print.
Cleaned head with alcohol and swab, also squirted alcohol onto head, also tried putting alcohol onto ink cartridge, by squirting with a ear syringe. Tried a new black cartridge, still not printing black letters.
What I dont understand is, I do get a row of black alignment lines, which I would think means that at least some of the black ink gets through and the head is not clogged.
I tried to print alphabetical characters in red or blue, by doing monochrome printing. No luck, the characters do not print.
I would think, printing a letter(i.e., the kind you send to a person), if done in RED or BLUE, would work, if the problem was the BLACK head being clogged or ruined, but unable to print any alphabetical characters in my WORD document.
Is it easy to remove the black print head ?
Perhaps, I can soak it in paint thinner, or may have some old reel to reel tape recorder head cleaner from the 1960's in my garage, also could try alcohol.
Is it really clogged up inside?
Got the top of the head very nice and shiny silver looking.
What would be a good model printer to go to ?
Saw comments about the IP 2000, 3000.
Probably would want to stick with Canon, Would like to stick with same tanks, as I get them easily at Sams Club.
Anyone know anything about the Minolta Laser Printer, as a replacement (Sams has/had one for about $290.
My basic needs are filled by the S520.
What I like is the economy, relatively fast speed (in draft mode) and the high quality photos it produces with only the three tank colors plus the black.
Am trying to salvage this.

Since a year has passed, I would presume people who started having this problem a year ago have come with satisfactory solutions, either in fixing, or replacement of printer.
Ed - epotereiko
I followed the instructions but there were 2 screws in the back corners plus two on the front right side... Maybe I didn't even need to take front right ones out but I did...

I also washed my pad in the laundry tub with warm water. . .

I suggest you use rubber gloves! The old tone is now stained on both hands and it kinda stinks! poor me :(

Takes a long time to dry out the pad.... I tried before it was totally dry and its giving me the same error...

so, i'm taking it back apart and I'll let you know if it works once its dried out.
- unknown
A zilion dollars says the head is plugged with dry ink. To test the that theory, remove the carriage assy complete with tanks and gently blot the head with a damp paper towel. You should see some traces of all colors.

Read in my article how to do the above and to clean the head. BE CAREFUL!!

HTH

ciao
Indy
by unknown on Apr 1, 2005 at 7:31am Add comment
I read your instructions on cleaning the waste ink tank and you also said you can clean the printhead with filtered water. So, just how do you clean the printhead with filtered water? - Anonymous
is there another way to install the s520 then using the disk because i can't find mine
by Anonymous on Apr 5, 2005 at 7:08pm Add comment
Go to www.Canon.com. Find the downloads section, type in s520 and download the printer driver from the web. - Anonymous
Thank you very much, i did what you said, it looks like you were right, its working now... So i will see...
Thanks again,
arlene
by unknown on Apr 9, 2005 at 9:10am Add comment
I have a Canon s520 printer. The printer is no longer working. The light flashes four times quickly - three times orange and one time green, pauses, and repeats the sequence over and over. When I try and print a document, I get a message telling me there is a paper jam but there is no paper jam.Can anyone tell me what to do? Thanks
by nobby on Apr 25, 2005 at 4:32am Add comment
MY PRINTER HAS FLASHED UP THE MESSAGE "WASTE INK ABSORBER IS FULL"AND HAS STOPPED FUNCTIONING. COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO TO FIX IT. MANY THANKS. DOUGLAS DORANS.
by DOUGIED on Oct 8, 2005 at 3:43am Add comment
Ok here is my problem. I have a canon S520 and i just bought a new computer and i have lost my cd, now i cant install my priter. What can i do???????????
by unknown on Dec 22, 2005 at 7:07am Add comment
Success!

My Canon S520 stopped printing in black. Several deep cleanings, and Q-tip cleaning did not help.

I used the suggestion to soak a folder paper towel in a window cleaner containing ammonia. I actually used pure ammonia. I pressed the print head into the soaked towel and ink emerged on the inside pad. I removed the ink with a dry paper towel. After repeating this several times, the pad was white.

I wiped off the exterior of the print head, but did not let the print head dry out. It worked.

by FRIDAY on Feb 24, 2006 at 3:19pm Add comment
Please help me to this problem. I just fully clean up my printer and this message keep poping-up "waste ink absorber almost full"
Does the "waste ink counter reset" will work with my printer since the posted is for Canon S520? Please indicate step-by-step procedure.
Thank you in advance!!!
by unknown on Mar 21, 2006 at 10:26am Add comment
Hi, This is from my S520's user guide:

- Eight flashes: Waste ink tank almost full
The printer has a built-in waste ink tank for the ink used during print head cleaning. Eight
flashes indicates that the waste ink tank is nearly full.

Press the RESUME/CANCEL
button to cancel the error so you can continue printing. Before the waste ink tank
becomes completely full, contact a Canon service representative to have the waste ink
tank replaced.

Note: Canon recommends to call for service as soon as this error occurs. Once
the waste ink tank becomes completely full, printing will be no longer
possible.
by Chris on Sep 30, 2004 at 5:54pm Add comment
This shold work
Waste Ink Counter Reset.

(1) Turn off the printer.

(2) Press and hold the RESUME button, then press and hold the POWER button.

(3) Release the RESUME button, Next press and release the RESUME button two(2) more times in succession. Note: you are still holding the POWER button). The printer's carriage will “reset" or move momentarily.

If the above was properly performed the printer will enter the "Service Mode".

(4) Press the RESUME button 4 times, this will select the clear waste ink counter function. The lamp will alternate (change) color with each key press. Next press the POWER button to "set" the change, and return to the top of the function selection menu. Press the POWER button again to restart the printer.

by Printx on Sep 30, 2004 at 7:28pm Add comment
Hi, one question on resetting the waste ink counter. At the end of step (3) do I then release the Power button? and then press the RESUME button 4 times in step (4) or I'm I still holding the POWER button down? Thanks for all your info. I cleaned up the waste ink but could never find out how to reset the counter. Neill - Anonymous
This works..worked for mine.thank u thank u thank u. - Anonymous
Hi, I read your knowledge on the above problem.
I have my own problem maybe you can help me with.
My S520 printer was on when above it water came through
the ceiling onto the printer. It was dried off and put out
side to dry it further. It didn't seem too wet yet now
it will not turn on. I am a writer getting ready for a
show and need my printer for this. I have no time to
take it to be seen. I cannot afford a new one as of now.
Is there any thing you can recommend.
I need to fix this problem right away.
Please help, thanks Angela

- Anonymous
Sounds great butttt I don't have a power button on my printer
any sugestions?
ttfn mike - Anonymous
thank you very much- I already 'cleaned' the waste tank ( the sucked paper) but could not get rid of the full state.
that was annoying-
do you happen to know how mucht I have printed..?

regards Pieter

- unknown
Hey Printx,

Thnx for your post Printx, this Waste Ink Counter Reset worked like a charm along with cleaning of the waste pads and print head. I am back online and printing like new again. Thanks SO MUCH!!

This makes my initial investment (S520) that much more satisfying. I reccomend canon products to anyone.

- Anonymous
Haha!! Thanks for this excellent tip!! - Anonymous
hello. I have a canon 450 and does the same the light flashes SIX times quickly Pauses then repeats the sequence over and over.
WHO KNOWS HOW TO RESET COMPLETELY THIS PRINTER.
The ink absorber il full. How do I clean it?
I have to buy a new one. answer or email me. I'm stuck with this printer
by unknown on Oct 20, 2004 at 11:58am Add comment
I stumbled on this thread while i was searching for a fix for my New Canon Pixma IP2000. I tried Prinx instructions and now my printer is back to normal. Thanks for the tip Prinx, you saved the day.

by DaVillen on Jan 27, 2005 at 10:38pm Add comment
may i know which one the manual can fix your printer?

thank's a lot

- Anonymous
I've just seen your entry in the forum. Can you tell me what the instructions were from Prinx. I too am having problems with my IP2000 and am desperate to get some good advice.

Thanks, if you can help. - Blackbourne
My printer will not print in black. It has full ink cartridges, and prints in other colors, but does not print in black. Can someone help me?
by unknown on Feb 6, 2005 at 4:34am Add comment
Probably you need a new print head. But---it's possible that's not the problem and a new print head would be a waste of money in that case. I found the print heads cost more than a new printer. I replaced my S520 with a Canon i560 from Amazon.com for about $72. The cartridges are the same as in the S520 so you can use any cartridges you have left over. The i560 is superior to the S520 in all ways.
Neill - Anonymous
Hey take your ink cartriges out and clean them with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. we did this for ours and it works great. You will see many little holes...they sometimes get plugged up this should help.
- kennethrhammac
My printer will also not print in black. Did you find an answer?

- Anonymous
Yep, been there done that. Have you tried printing on any other media? In properties pick envelope, and acknowledge the error messages about the paper thickness and size of paper or envelope and make it print. If it prints on the envelope in black then you have the same scenario that I. I contacted contacted Canon tech support and said that the printer has failed. I find that hard to believe but that is what they told me.

Try the other media/paper to print on and see if it will print on these other types, (leave plain paper in the printer it will print just fine on plain paper even if glossy paper if picked.

Good Luck,
Rex - Anonymous
I have a Canon s520 that I just hooked up. Everything it prints is very small and on a quarter of the page. I've tried everything. Is it installed correctly?
by unknown on Feb 24, 2005 at 8:59am Add comment
Humm, what size font did you use when you typed whatever it was you printed? The Printer should print size according to what you choose. - Anonymous
suggest you try checking paper size on page setup.. i have a problem with my s520 7 orange flashes and steady green any suggestions.. email me if you want to
[email protected]

thanks
dave - Anonymous
I have a Canon s520 that I just hooked up. Everything it prints is very small and on a quarter of the page. I've tried everything. Is it installed correctly?
by unknown on Feb 24, 2005 at 9:02am Add comment
It was regular font and I've played around with the different sizes and types but nothing changes
by Anonymous on Feb 24, 2005 at 10:32am Add comment
I have a Canon S520 printer which was working great but out of the blue stopped. I took the head out and gave it a good clean, Now when I turn it on, it flashes green and then orange 7 times and then green again and continues this way. I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to work. Can someone please help me?
by Anonymous on Mar 1, 2005 at 3:42am Add comment
Sorry to hear of your problem. My s520 did the same thing. You can see a posting from kennethrhammac on 2-22-05. He suggests removing the Cartriges (not the print head) and cleaning them. I did like you and thoroughly cleaned the printhead. Also like you, it didn't help. I wound up calling Cannon and they gave me a 10\% discount on a new printer and promised free overnight delivery. They sent me the ip3000 for about $92.00. The free overnight shipping was why I bought the printer sight unseen. However it took about 4 days for delivery. I wasn't really happy about that. Otherwise it seems fine. Try cleaning the cartriges and good luck! - Anonymous
My printer was fine until I changed my system from ME to XP.It will blink when a print command is sent but will not print.Any suggestions?
by Kevin on Mar 1, 2005 at 4:33am Add comment
a mate has loaded SP2, with the s520 are there any known problems with the printer and s520? It has completly stopped working.
by unknown on Mar 10, 2005 at 11:13pm Add comment
My S520 was fantastic and then it started to print in red ONLY. All ink tanks are full. HELP !!!
by ilze on Mar 26, 2005 at 3:41pm Add comment
Printer is only printing black and blue...just changed all the ink tanks but failed to correct the problem....any ideas? thanks much...
by Anonymous on Mar 31, 2005 at 2:24pm Add comment
I can print in black, but all other colours print pink only. I've cleaned the printer head, and the little mats inside. Any other ideas? Tanks are full.
by unknown on Apr 2, 2005 at 6:56pm Add comment
Where can i buy a print head for Canon S520, like everyone else mine wont print Black anymore....

Arlene
by unknown on Apr 8, 2005 at 3:00pm Add comment
if any color prints, then most likely the head needs cleaning. read my previously posted tome on cleaning.

ciao
Indy
- Anonymous
Did you find a source for the s520 printhead? - Anonymous
Seven orange blinks means either the print head is too hot or there is a checksum error in the head EEPROM. Either way, it requires a new head or a firmware reset/reload (contact the aforementioned John at ABC Technologies).

Seven green-orange toggles means the waste pad is full.

ciao
Indy
by Anonymous on Apr 12, 2005 at 11:34am Add comment
Belay my last missive. If it is an EEPROM, it can be fixed with a 3 press of the resume key (light will be orange). If the temp is too high, prob the temp diode is blown. new head reqd.

ciao
Indy
by Anonymous on Apr 12, 2005 at 11:53am Add comment
I have a Canon s520 printer. The printer is no longer working. Whenever I turn it on, the light flashes four times quickly - three times orange and once green - pauses and then repeats the sequence. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?
by nobby on Apr 25, 2005 at 4:23am Add comment
my printer wouldnt print properly (all broken up)and it said it was the yellow ink catridge running low. I changed the yellow ink cartriodge an now it prints blank pages it sounds like its printing but no colour is coming out. What do i do to fix this?
by guest on Apr 27, 2005 at 12:14am Add comment
nobby: I'm sorry, but I do not usually work on Canon Printers, so I'm not really framiliar with them. However, the following web-site links may be useful in the future, if they don't help you right now. SITE #1: http://canonhelp.freehttp.com/ . A "Canon Help Page" for Error Codes, thats for a lot of the "BC" and "BJC" Printers. SITE #2: http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprTSIndex.jsp . A Canon USA Technical Support page. SITE #3: http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprSupport.jsp . A Canon USA "Contact Canon" site for PRODUCT INFORMATION/TECHNICAL SUPPORT. SITE #4: http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprTSIndex.jsp?app=download . A Canon USA "Download Library" web-site. SITE #5: You can also try http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/canon/canonidx.htm , for possible help. I'm told that is a great site for older canons and includes information on the waste ink error...I hope this helps! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Apr 27, 2005 at 2:51pm Add comment
I need to know how do i store my S520, i am not going to be using it for a while, since i just bought a ip3000( wow, great printer)
but my daughter is going to get my S520 as long as it keeps working. She will be gone for a few months. So i like to know if i take the inks out, or what..

thanks
arlene
by Anonymous on Apr 30, 2005 at 8:57am Add comment
My Canon S520 printer will not turn on after working pretty much flawlessly for more than a year. When I press the power button, it makes a "chu-chunk" sound and immediately powers off. No flashing lights, no movement of the carriage, nothing. It's almost as if the carriage is stuck or something. There's no paper jam and I was not having any ink or printing problems prior to its mysterious death. I would greatly appreciate any help to get this printer back on its feet.

Many thanks,
Sherri
by unknown on May 7, 2005 at 7:55am Add comment
I did solve the problem. I went to Newegg.com and bought a canon ip3ooo for 45 bucks AR and love it. For the price of ink you get a better printer. Could not get s520 to work. This is a no brainer. Get rid of the s520 as soon as it starts acting up. - Anonymous
Hello, my printer just started doing exactly what you describe. It makes a quick rattle/grind noise for just a second then powers off. The carriage is stuck all the way to the right. If this had only happened to me I would have thought a fluke, but 2 people with the exact same thing?

I think we should contact canon.

David

PS: I just bought over $60.00 worth of ink that just shipped out today. 8-( - Anonymous
LOL, that's good advice. I've seen a bunch of printers lately for dirt cheap after rebates and pricematching and such. I won't be hurt if I have to replace this printer but I do like to tinker with things, so I'd like to attempt whatever solutions may be suggested before just buying another one. I think I'm going to go ahead and take the cover off just to see if anything is obviously wrong.
by cakepro on May 7, 2005 at 8:36am Add comment
Try removing the print head, (not just the ink tanks)
and then power up again without the print head.
If the printer sets up ok you have a faulty print head.
by wilf on May 16, 2005 at 11:14am Add comment
I need the back paper holder... if anyone has one let me know..
I lost mine..

Arlene
by careyno on Jun 15, 2005 at 10:58am Add comment
Your printer is still in working order, the only thing that is wrong is that the waste ink tank is full.

ie when your printer cleans the waste ink goes into a waste tank, once this is full, you need to get it emptied, ive tried to empty it myself but unable to.

canon will service it for you at a cost of approx £35.00 + carriage of approx £25.00.

Once serviced it will work normally, until the waste tank get full again.
by Anonymous on Jun 18, 2005 at 12:47pm Add comment
"Try removing the print head, (not just the ink tanks)
and then power up again without the print head.
If the printer sets up ok you have a faulty print head."

This is exactly what happens. I guess it's going in the trash because the printhead costs as much as a new printer.

Thanks!
by Anonymous on Jun 18, 2005 at 12:56pm Add comment
If Cannon can do it, it must be possible to clean/empty the waste ink tank.
£60.00 to send back to Cannon, to have this done is wrong, also not able to be without printer.
May as well just buy a new one!!.
by Greenman on Jun 29, 2005 at 9:57am Add comment
OK, bottom line I went out an purchased a new printer for no reason. On the other hand, I really needed an "all-in-one" printer and ended up with an HP. After purchasing my HP I figured I had nothing to lose and took the panels off my canon so I could see what was going on.

After getting into it, my wife and I realized that the printer was so gunked up with Ink, it was causing the carriage to get stuck. So, we dived into. Right now I have everything disassembled including the print head itself. Rubbing alcohol works great, lots of it. Also, make sure you wear gloves or don't care about black hands. Also, do it somewhere where you can put down lots of paper. The Ink "Reservoir" is nothing more than a big piece of absorbent material. I was unable to figure out how to actually remove it. Of course all of the rubbing alcohol that over spilled went into that material. I was then able to use one of those big sized syringes to suck up the excess ink/alcohol. The parts are all nice and sparkly clean. The hard part now, to put it back together!!

My advice, if you do this. Make darn sure you remember the order stuff goes, draw, take a picture, whatever. Don't wait too long to put it back together. And don't wait too long though it may take a day for the parts to evaporate completely. Kind of interesting and really shows you in detail how a printer actually works. Granted, I thought mine was broken when I got into this, so proceed at your own risk.

Later,

Vanight

PS: I did NOT receive the indicator light that tells your the ink overflow "material" is saturated. However its apparent that old ink, and too much ink, can really screw up these printers.
by vanight on Jul 3, 2005 at 10:24am Add comment
My s520 will only print in black in white. I have replace the colored tanks multiple times. In addition I have cleaned under the color cartridges and the print head with a Q-Tip with no luck. I have checked my settings and I'm not set to print in gray scale. I'm not sure what else to do. I do not have any flashing lights, just the solid green. Help!
by unknown on Jul 10, 2005 at 1:49pm Add comment
Maybe one or more of the ports on the head itself are clogged? Just a thought, you can disassemble the head but be careful not to pull the ceramic like piece all the way off. I would let it soak in rubbing alcohol, for a while. I am no expert though.
by vanight on Jul 11, 2005 at 10:18am Add comment
My S520 is "working" just fine except no ink appears on the printed page. No lights blinking.
I removed the ink tanks and print head. Everything looked normal but no printing.
I borrowed the printhead and ink from my wife's s520 and everthing works fine.
Apparently MY printhead is the problem. I soaked it in alcohol for 24 hours and got much inky fluid out. Carefully dried and reinstalled printhead with filled tanks.
RESULT: Error Message "Cartridge is not BJC. Install BJC cartridge"
What gives? I used the original cartridges and printhead. (Or is it that sneaky overflow ink tank?)
Any help would be appreciated.
by Bernie on Jul 15, 2005 at 3:01pm Add comment
Everytime I attempt to print, the paper begins to enter the printer and stops about halfway. I keep getting the error that the paper is jammed. I've removed the paper, taken out the ink...nothing seems to work. There's nothing in the printer (i.e. foreign objects). Can you think of anything else I can check? We just moved and I'm afraid the printer got bummed in the move. Thanks!
by unknown on Jul 19, 2005 at 6:38pm Add comment
my printer error messages is 5c00 how to fix this problem plz help me tnx.....
by boy on Jul 21, 2005 at 7:54am Add comment
boy: I'm guessing that you have a Canon Printer, as you added your message onto someone else's Canon Printer board. However, you might want to let people know the model of your printer. That way maybe someone that is framiliar with your particular printer, might actually be able to help you...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jul 21, 2005 at 9:12am Add comment
sorry i did nit tell you the model of my printer by the way the model is canon s200spx - Anonymous
my printer canon s200spx error messages is 5c00 how to fix this problem plz help me tnx.....

by boy on Jul 22, 2005 at 4:02am Add comment
I am trashing my 520. If anyone needs parts or pieces, they can have it for postage. Just send me an email. I estimate it would cost $10-15 to ship anywhere in CONUS.
by unknown on Aug 6, 2005 at 3:40am Add comment
If it has a working print head, I'll take it.

My story: black tank ran dry. Have tried all manner of fixes, assuming ink clog to be culprit: H2O, IPA, canned air, etc. Have verified that all inks are reaching the nozzles via the "place on wet paper towel" method. In fact there is more black ink on the towel than anything else, so can only assume now that the black nozzle itself has become damaged and the ink is getting sent to, but is not reaching, the paper surface - thus piling up on the print head.

I get a version of "black" when changing the print media to "photo paper" but suspect that is a mix of colors, not the actual black ink. I can also print a black text email from Outlook, but nothing from Word or Excel. ?? Again, suspect this is not truly black ink.

Since everything I've tried has been done to both color and black nozzles, I don't think it was anything I've done to the print head (water, canned air, whatever). At this point I figure the damage was done during the original "dry" print.

- Anonymous
Hi
Do you still have the printhead for the s520, I need one.
- Anonymous
Well it got to the stage where I had to do something!
Even the local Canon stockist did not know about this problem!

Out with screwdriver, what a mess inside, was unable to remove [eventhough I got it loose] the waste tank, so had to clean everything insitu.
Lots of printer cleaner, wipes and swabs.
Removed the pads and soaked in printer cleaning fluid.
Dried everything off and put back together.
Used the code above to reprogramme.

No problems since!
by Greenman on Aug 6, 2005 at 4:46am Add comment
Sorry not able to help with your question.
I just cleaned the pads, and serviced as my previous post.
I had to try several times to get the printer to reset!
by Greenman on Aug 6, 2005 at 2:25pm Add comment
Sorry for being unclear - that last post was meant to be Re: Canon s520 by Fastcash102 (8/6/05 3:40 AM) I am trashing my 520. If anyone needs parts or pieces, they can have it for postage.
by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2005 at 10:18am Add comment
I believe the print head is ok. The printer won't feed paper and flashes the code "Paper Jam" or "out of paper"
by unknown on Aug 9, 2005 at 11:46am Add comment
Dear: Madam/sir

Do you know how to make the printer ink faster in colour and black and white
by unknown on Aug 12, 2005 at 2:06am Add comment
I have a Canon S250 that the black ink won't print. I've cleaned the printheads, uninstalled and reinstalled the printer driver and still the black doesn't print. The color prints fine. Any other suggestions other than buy a new one.

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks.
by unknown on Aug 16, 2005 at 6:47pm Add comment

When the printer did not respond, I noticed that there were 4 orange flashes between geren ones. (i.e., or-gn-or-gn-or-gn-or-gn-PAUSE- then same thing). So, I checked the ink and indeed the black and the cyan inks were out but I can't tell if the others were out as well since the print head wold not move. (The black and cyan can be removed even with the printhead retracted.) Printer continues to give the 4 oange flashes. How to I get the print head to move?

Thanks.
Lina

by lina.cordero on Aug 24, 2005 at 1:10pm Add comment
My canon S520 has worked well for some time, but recently I have had problems with it. The orange light flashes 7 times signalling a defective print head. I have tried fitting it back in place, and that seems to have done the trick the first time. But after the problem reoccurred I tried the same procedure, but with no luck this time. I have tried to clean the electrical contacts, but no result yet. Is there anything else I can try to fix this, or is the only solution replacing the head or buying a new printer? Thank you for the help.
by Anonymous on Aug 24, 2005 at 3:19pm Add comment
I can't claim to be an expert by any means, but have had the BJC-3000 before the S520, and now have a PIXMA iP6000D (which being new has no problems) I wanted a better quality, photo-capable, printer, but find Canon a little disconcerting in that they changed the ink tank system with the new Pixma line so the old tanks can't be used. Ah, the price of progress...
Now to my addition to the chain, for what is worth, with both of the previous printers, the black stopped printing but the colors were OK, like many of the previous posts. However, I found it interesting that if you set the print quality to the highest setting (and I also selected high resolution paper) that the black still worked with good quality!!!
I still find this amazing that standard printing, test page, nozzle tests all show no black ink, but the high quality still works fine. It will at least (I hope) let me use the S520 as a second printer until I use up the ink tanks I had also just purchased for it, so didn't want to just trash.
Maybe others can see if this trick will work for them, but for now at least my 'extra' printer is doing fine.
by unknown on Aug 25, 2005 at 9:24pm Add comment
I tried this and it worked!! Was able to print my homework on time, I only hope this is a permanant fix, time will tell. Thanks for this. - grateful
Yep, I had the same scenario. I contacted canon support and they told me that the three colors were making the black ink. I didn't really buy that. I tried the same thing in envelope mode and found that it printed in black also when it would not print in plain paper mode. So when I told canon that they didn't know what to say about that scenario. So my quesiton to you is, is the black ink tank going down as you print in black, or do you notice your colored ink being used up more because it is being used for black ink also.
I was just curious what you found.

Good luck,
Rex - Anonymous
My s520 is only printing 2 columns instead of three when I do a print head alignment, and won't print a standard document. I can't find my user guide for a solution. Can anyone help?
by Wendy on Aug 31, 2005 at 6:36pm Add comment
Canon Waste Absorber Kit with CD

http://www.abctechinc.com/canonkit.htm

Waste Absorber Kit for Canon Multifunction and Bubble Jet Printers Includes CD with Service Manual and Parts List. Our price $40 includes shipping and handling. Please specify the model and serial number of your printer.
by unknown on Sep 2, 2005 at 12:54pm Add comment
I'm not overly handy with a screwdriver, but I'm willing to try anything!! My S520 blinks green/orange 4 times, then pauses. It also makes a strange humming noise when I turn it on and the printer head doesn't move on its own. I tried some of the advice above, but nothing has worked. I'm willing to try one more evening, then I'm heading to buy a new one tomorrow. If I can't fix it, any recommendations for a new colour printer?

by unknown on Sep 8, 2005 at 2:34pm Add comment
im tring to print an invoice which is not working and computer does not have any software inside it
by Anonymous on Oct 3, 2005 at 7:35pm Add comment
Hi DOUGIED,
See my previous posts and others on this subject.

Well it got to the stage where I had to do something!
Even the local Canon stockist did not know about this problem!

Out with screwdriver, what a mess inside, was unable to remove [eventhough I got it loose] the waste tank, so had to clean everything insitu.
Lots of printer cleaner, wipes and swabs.
Removed the pads and soaked in printer cleaning fluid.
Dried everything off and put back together.
Used the code above to reprogramme.

No problems since!
by Greenman on Oct 8, 2005 at 4:11am Add comment
i'm tring to print out the data but printer show error message that refer to user guide (5100), i can not found this guide in manual ?
by Anonymous on Oct 18, 2005 at 1:53am Add comment
I bought my s520 about 3 yrs ago, i never had any problem with it until recently. i was printing a color copy and sudenly it began to print only in black in midle of the photo i was printing. I did a good cleaning on it, but since, i can print only in black. What can i do to fix my printer?
by unknown on Oct 20, 2005 at 1:05am Add comment
Getting error message 5100 - blinks green/orange 4 times. Can this be easily repaired? Ink cartridgres are new and full.
by ross1 on Oct 22, 2005 at 9:38am Add comment
My S520 is about 3 years old now, and it has a lot of problem of color mixing. It has also started flashing 7 orange lights since few days ago. Do you guys think should I just go get a new printer instead fixing this printer by myself?
Many thanks.
by camilkuo on Nov 1, 2005 at 10:42pm Add comment
If it's just the printhead I found the part on ebay. Search for the part #QY6-0034 - It's 54.95

here's the ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com

You can also get the part from Canon for about the same price.
by unknown on Nov 2, 2005 at 3:17pm Add comment
Canon s520
Lights flash once alternate Green/Orange error message in manual states to contact Canon Service Admin - Not much help.....any ideas??
by unknown on Nov 3, 2005 at 4:09am Add comment
I'm not sure it's the problem of printhead or not. I don't want to end up buying a new printhead, and the problem still remains. I decided that I'm going to buy a new printer....However, I just think it's kind of a waste by buying a new one... because I got a new yellow inkjak and refilled colors for my old one still...
by camilkuo on Nov 6, 2005 at 6:39am Add comment
However, thanks Aida's Treasures for this information. I might give it a try.
by camilkuo on Nov 6, 2005 at 6:43am Add comment
My S520 here in Europe (Holland) always worked fine and all of a sudden did not print anything on paper anymore. tried all cleaning procedures. Than rinsed the printhead in warm water/cleaning liquids and you name it! I never got it to work. Somehow the normal working of the printer seemed slowed down (using Windows and Linux/CUPS) after that, stopping after every 2 "paper-feedings". Went out and bought a second hand exactly the same. Worked well. Than tried the old printhead in the good working printer to check if the head for faulty, got orange warning lites and now the 2nd hand printer with its good head also blinks 2x green, 7 times orange and does the same as the former printer. HELP!
Trash them and buy a new one, or is one or both still to be saved or resetted?
by JohanD on Nov 13, 2005 at 10:53am Add comment
Anyone know what the ink tank capicity is of different brands of printers?? I like the big tanks in my canon s520. I fill my own and have had good luck with that. I'm looking to buy a new printer. Need one with big tanks. Thank's for any help.
by donnie on Nov 13, 2005 at 1:04pm Add comment
Perhaps we should ALL email Canon, to make them aware of this forum!!
Never know, they might respond.
Anyone got the best email addy?

by Greenman on Nov 13, 2005 at 1:30pm Add comment
Canon doesn't give a sh*t for just a few people complaining in a forum about one of their products they don't even carry anymore. I called a Canon technician monday and he plainly told me I had printed quite alot with mine a (maybe 10 -15 sets of cartridges in 3,5 year) and that the "printercontrol"was broken, probably the inkhead was still good, until I tried to clean it (indeed, after that I got 7 orange lights) and with the broken head ruined the second working printer too. I still don understand how that can be possible. I've put both printer on E-Bay for the handyman who can do something with it or use the new inktanks in them. The technician also told me not to buy the Pixma ip 4200 in return but the Pixma ip 5000 which is sold out everywhere as a matter of fact. Its newer brother, the ip 5200 is quite expensive (about 165 euro's or something contrary of the ip 4200 for about 112) because it is much sturdier and better fit for more printing. I was looking for an alternative and came up with the Epson R 220, which is under 100 euro's, prints better on CD/DVD than the ip 4200 according to http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=550 (German site, you can lead it trough Bablefish to make it English). Only thing is the ink is more expensive but a great advantage is, it has next to M$ and Apple OSX drivers _also LINUX drivers available_. I trashed a Epson printer because of glogged inkhead but heard many stories after that of people who got it fixed with 98\% alcohol or with special pink fluid from Epson. Considering I only did 3 years with this printer which costed me almost 190 Euros a cheaper printer would be the solution. I'd love to buy the ip 5000/5200 but it's just way to expensive for me and I hate it Canon refuses to make Linux drivers! (Linux has already more followers than Apple because of cheaper hardware) They keep thinking in the past while many governments and individuals are turning away from M$ and it's hostage-policy... - JohanD
I mentioned this in my reply on Date: 12/28 see above. It will keep jamming, so after a few times of taking the printer apart, I just kept the plastic cover off without disturbing the wires. Printer will work with the cover open just make sure the "door/lid" itself stays shut to "fool" the printer. It worked just fine. I only changed my priner because I needed a scanner and just replaced it with multi use printer/scanner which happens to read digital memory cards (has a slight upgraded card reader too).
by Anonymous on Nov 13, 2005 at 8:24pm Add comment
Mine blinked the 1 gr 7 orange sequence.
I followed all the advise here (which is fabulous) and cleaned the ink pads - threw them in some warm water at about 60 celsius and both came out white in about 1 minute.
Plugged them back in and same again. Turned off and now it's 1gr 1or. I tried the http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprSupport.jsp site suggested earlier and it says 1gr 1or is a "back to base" job.
The S520 has been turned on for about 3 yrs but not heavily used in the last eighteen months as I've used a laser as most of the printing has been black.
So I just went out and bought an epsom RX530 because both the last two printers have been Canon and they have both crapped themselves. The last two cameras were Canon also but they've been replaced with Kodak and Sony. Canon can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned. I've not had value for money - and the ink is expensive (so are all of them I guess).
by unknown on Nov 19, 2005 at 8:45pm Add comment
Epson makes nice stuff, but their inkcartridges are horribly expensive. Canon is the only one which offers affordably cartridges and consequently the compatible cartridges are way cheaper. I was thinking of a Epson R220, which is about round 100 euro here in my country.It has pretty good reviews and also the possibility of printing on cd/dvd. Canon's IP 4200 and 5200 are more expensive.Their ink is cheaper and they use less of it though! Epson has also standard drivers for all the biggers OS'es, windows/mac _and_ Linux. Canon only for Windows and Mac and they refuse to make drivers for Linux while Linux is making incredible progress especially in the corporate world. Via TurboPrint (a german softwaremaker) one can buy a licence for using their excellent drivers but they are pretty steep as they offer a licence for a few hundred printers! Back to the prices of the ink. I found out buying a set of 6 ORIGINAL cartridges with all the colours for the Epson R 220 will set me back for 57 Euro's!!! RIDICULOUS! Of course this is excellent ink, but even the cheapest ink is 27 euro's and probably not very good, better tested are round 35 euro's and up... In my time with the S520 I bought ink for 5,75 a cartridge (only needed 4!) and had a tremendous offer in quality: WeCare, Pelikan GeHA and many more. I'm still looking for a reliable printer with cheap ink, cd/dvd printing, drivers for Linux and Mac. All the major brands have some flaw here and there HP expensive cartridges and no Mac drivers, Lexmark unreliable and expensive ink, Brother no cd/dvd printers and so on...:-(
by JohanD on Nov 20, 2005 at 12:30am Add comment
You've just pointed up the way us poor consumers are screwed by the corporates. The genuine BC cartridges for the Canon S520 are $23 AUst dollars which is 15 euro. The cartridges for the epson are slightly cheaper for the same capacity(volume). As for the Epson Rx530 - they are only new in AUst (probably been released elsewhere inthe world six months ago). I happened to be down at the computer store and they were selling for $A280 - abt 180 euro ($A1.60 to the euro). They are a scanner /printer - you can also plug your camera directly into them or plug in the xd/sd card. For $280 I'll give it a go.

The store wanted to sell me extended warranty up to 3 yrs for another $150 ( or it might have been $50). I told him that after 12 mths there's new technology anyway - and its afforable at these prices.

And since the computer store does 150mm x 100mm prints for 29c and even A4 size for about $A5 then maybe I won't bother printing them myself anyway.

Thanks for the response.......
by unknown on Nov 20, 2005 at 1:34am Add comment
sometimes the inkwells get stuck and make it so that the inkholder can't run along its little track. just puch them back in. they trap it in the front, but you can just reach them. again, remember to unplug your printer so that you don't get electrocuted!!!!
by Anonymous on Nov 28, 2005 at 7:43pm Add comment
It is located almost at the top of the thread

This should work
Waste Ink Counter Reset.

(3) Release the RESUME button, Next press and release the RESUME button two(2) more times in succession. Note: you are still holding the POWER button). The printer's carriage will “reset" or move momentarily.

(4) Press the RESUME button 4 times, this will select the clear waste ink counter function. The lamp will alternate (change) color with each key press. Next press the POWER button to "set" the change, and return to the top of the function selection menu. Press the POWER button again to restart the printer
by Anonymous on Dec 1, 2005 at 2:26am Add comment
It works exactly as Anonymous has stated. However, at the end of point (3) you release the power button - for the S520 anyway. Geez!! Now I've got a "re-born" S520 and a "just born" Epson Rx530. You blokes are worth your weight in ink catridges. Thanks!!!
by unknown on Dec 1, 2005 at 2:43am Add comment
Hope someone can help!
Two days ago I lost the left hand gutter on printed pages from my emails, web sites etc.
Pages now print full width of the page, which is not much use when they are punched for folders.
Always used to work and never had the problem before.
Using the MS Windows XP printer, page and paper settings, everything is correct, it even gives you a gutter and/or border settings.
When you ask to print, say a email, on checking settings the pop up boxes are different to the MS, I guess these are Cannon settings, these do not include a gutter setting!! or am I missing something?

Any suggestions? Make them simple!!
by Greenman on Dec 1, 2005 at 5:50am Add comment
my canon s520 print's black but no colors.the flash stay's red,no noizy sounds...it just don't print colors.Pls help!!!
by unknown on Dec 9, 2005 at 8:17am Add comment
i replaced the print head on my canon s520 (wasn't printing black) and it still doesn't print.........blew another 51.00 with canon...suspect this is a common problem with canon printers also have a s400 with the exact same problem. and i'm pissed.
by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2005 at 8:28am Add comment
Simple, printer management broken, now you've got 2 good printhead to sell on E-bay for which earnings you can buy a brandnew printer! - Anonymous
Yep, been there done that. When you go to print, go to properties and then pick any other type of print medica except plain paper and see if it prints in black. According to canon it is printing black due to the 3 colors making the mix to print black. But when I pick the envelope mode and acknowledge all of the paper sizes and print head adjustments is prints just fine in black. Canon didn't know what to say about that. Give it a try and see what happens.

Good luck,
Rex - Anonymous
also heard on this forum to soak print head in methyl something...the purple pvc cleaner...overnight.....melted print head......don't do it.
by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2005 at 8:32am Add comment
ok...sometimes it does print some red stripes or yellow...and then nothing...no colors...is the printhead obsolete?thx for the answers.
by unknown on Dec 9, 2005 at 10:37am Add comment
I just want to say thanks! I followed your directions to a T and they worked perfectly. I like this printer and dreaded finding another good one (inexpensive yet good) like this. Now I don't have to! I have printed your instructions for future reference - thanks again
Dave
by Anonymous on Dec 16, 2005 at 9:22pm Add comment
Ask some one in your neighbourhood to copy this cd or ask Canon in your own country. For me, I live in the Netherlands, do you live closeby?
by JohanD on Dec 22, 2005 at 8:57am Add comment
I just cleaned my print head with windex and the print output is great on the top third of the print test page (color and black), but the bottom two thirds (all blck) is faded and blotchy. Any ideas?
by rjburke on Dec 31, 2005 at 2:48pm Add comment
hey
i've just been googling ways to fix my printer and came across your post
did you ever find a solution?
i've just reconnected my old printer to my new laptop and its printing small and on the upper left hand side on 1/4 of the page!
if you can help me in any way i'd be massively grateful
thanks
x
by Anonymous on Jan 3, 2006 at 11:52am Add comment
My problem is in reverse. My Black Ink Cartridge prints fine, however, all 3 Color Cartridges print nothing. Is there a solution? And where are the printheads located on/in the Canon? Thanks. :)
...Cal
by Anonymous on Jan 8, 2006 at 10:41am Add comment
The print heads are at the bottom of the ink cartridge. After removing the cartridge from the caddy and the ink containers from the cartridge, try cleaning the heads by folding several pieces of paper toweling and placing the folded sheets on a plate, the soking the paper with an amonia based window cleaner. Press the heads into the paper. You'll see ink come up through the intake ports inside the cartridge. Blot that ink with paper. Repeat several times, until almost no ink comes up and almost no new ink appears on the paper on the plate. You will probably need to move the cartridge around on the paper on the plate and even turn it over and inside out, etc. You might even need to use a second preperation. Once the heads and intakes look clean (aren't putting our much or any ink), replace the ink containers in the cartridge and put the cartridge back into the caddy. DON'T DRY THE HEADS!!! Run a deep cleaning a couple of times, then a print head check and an alignment. Do a test print until the results are good. Good luck! - Anonymous
help me guys.. i have problem with my printer. when printing colord lines appeared in printing instead of the text which i should print. can u help me pls.. i already format my pc and install fresh copy of software but same promblem occurs,i tought it was only software problem but now it gets worst. lines wer prineted instead of the text...

PLS HELP ME PLS>>>>
by unknown on Jan 9, 2006 at 8:02am Add comment
Basicaly, how do I reset to clear eight flashing lights after replacing and cleaning everything??

by Greenman on Jan 14, 2006 at 2:49pm Add comment
OK, I own 2 broken Canon's S520, with probably fried inkheads and dead printer-control, whatever. I had put them on E-bay and other free marketsites. Nobody wanted them. Anyone needs some parts? You can have them free, if you collect them at my house here in The Netherlands, Europe. Otherwise if it not to hard disasembling and you want to pay shipping, I can send you smaller parts. Please let me know soon, otherwise they will be recycled soon!
by JohanD on Jan 15, 2006 at 2:24am Add comment
This has always worked for me before.

(3) Release the RESUME button, Next press and release the RESUME button two(2) more times in succession. Note: you are still holding the POWER button).

(4) Release the POWER button.
The printer's carriage will “reset" or move momentarily.

(5) Press the RESUME button 4 times, this will select the clear waste ink counter function. The lamp will alternate (change) color with each key press.

(6) Press the POWER button to "set" the change.

(7) Press the POWER button again to restart the printer.

So what is going wrong this time???
Getting eight orange flashes.
Have emptied and cleaned waste tank, etc.
Cleaned printer head, changed ink tanks.
The above reset operation has worked before, @ (6) Press POWER button to "set" change, all OK and light stays green, but nothing will work, turn off printer, turn back on, and eight orange flashes start again.

Please help.
by Greenman on Jan 15, 2006 at 2:59am Add comment
I've done a few more searches.
Cleaned and serviced the print head again.
Still unable to reset the eight flashes as listed above.
When the print head is removed, the above reset works.
But when I refit the print print head, I get seven flashes, unable to do reset again.
Start all over again, back to seven flashes, so turn off printer, when turned back on I get eight flashes again, back to square one.
Looks like a new printer is required.
by Greenman on Jan 15, 2006 at 4:36am Add comment
Regarding the solution posted by lwoggardner (11/13/05 12:13 AM)..

Not too late for me my friend! I had the same problem and your recommendations fixed it. I was getting the dum..dum..dum and flashing orange and green lights and zero head travel.

Took the lid off, gently slid the head across, slowly rotated the white gears and could clearly see a component of the sliding waste pad cover/raiser/lowerer mechanism getting stuck. A few more turns of the gear to ensure it was running smoothly and I plugged in and retested and problem solved.

Now to see if I have waste pad and/or head cleanliness issues.

Thanks again!

Matt
by unknown on Jan 25, 2006 at 3:20pm Add comment
My problem also solved.
Canon S520 to tip and got an Epsom D68.

by Greenman on Jan 25, 2006 at 3:23pm Add comment
I am getting frustrated with my bosses printer. It was just working 5 minutes ago. I am trying to print out our ads and the thing keeps giving me Service error 5C00. It blinks 4 times and states the messege. I have tried the test provided above. Either I did it wrong or that wasnt how to fix it. Can someone helpme please? Thanks a bunch
by unknown on Feb 18, 2006 at 11:05am Add comment
YEAH! I tried using your adivec abbove and it didnt work the first time. I guess Im retarded cause I tried it again and it worked!! YAY!!!!
by unknown on Feb 18, 2006 at 11:15am Add comment
Hi,
I had a similar problem to the above (black not working), but I removed and cleaned the print heads and cleaned the waste ink catchers. I've now put it back together but I'm now getting alternating green and orange lights on the status light (approx 1 second each). Any thoughts?

Also, is there an easy way to remove the head cleaning mechanism? I've undone the 3 screws holding it in but I can't get it out of the printer chassis. Almost ready to chuck it and get a IP5200, but thought I'd give it one more go...

Cheers,

Tim
by unknown on Mar 6, 2006 at 2:55pm Add comment
Hi... i have a problem with my printer canon S520. It doesnt print in black. I had change the ink a lot of times, but it doesnt work. In the other colors it print but in black no....

Help me please
by ash on Mar 9, 2006 at 1:15pm Add comment
I get error message 5100. Can anyone help me? Thanks
by unknown on Mar 15, 2006 at 5:47pm Add comment
there are 2 push tabs in each of the rear corners, work the top cover off, this gives you access to another switch; i powered on while holding the switch and that was it.

good luck
jason
by jnorton171 on Mar 20, 2006 at 4:22pm Add comment
Alright that only works for a little while, I just had to do it again; so leave the cover off.
by jnorton171 on Mar 20, 2006 at 5:00pm Add comment
Just a follow up. I called ABC Electronics today to order the replacement pads for the waste ink. Apparently "John" is working in a different department now. I had to speak to Dave who said the replacement kit is $40. They will not sell just the parts we need to fix our machines. To be honest, he clearly didnt even want to hear what had to say. It's a shame that companies can be so obnoxious when we are trying to give them business.

They simply want to capitalize off a lousy installation CD that comes with this kit. So instead of $5 for the part, figure on $40.

This printer has be great and I'd like to get it fixed but I'd rather buy a new printer than to contribute to a company of weasels. Plain and simple.

by Beans2112 on Mar 21, 2006 at 2:46pm Add comment
Need help please! Printer won't print blue - have cleaned & deep cleaned x 3 or 4; replaced ink cartridge twice; wiped inside print head (blue) with distilled water and q-tip....all to no avail.

Need someone to explain a step by step as to how to clean the printhead by soaking it - in either rubbing alcohol, water or whatever works. Like do I place the printhead in 1mm of solution standing it up as it would be in the printer.

Bit of a techie dummy and don't want to do the wrong thing.

Thanks
by unknown on Mar 26, 2006 at 4:07am Add comment
My printer don't print in Black but prints color. Deep cleaning didn't work. Anybody has a solution??
by Anonymous on Mar 30, 2006 at 7:31pm Add comment
Sounds like time to clean the print head. When I this type problem I remove the ink tanks, remove the print head and run hot water throught it until the water is clear. I dry it with compressed air at low pressure. High pressure will end all your print problems, you will be buying a new head. I have cleaned several print heads from the S series and they work as well as new ones. I have seen one that
failed to work.
by unknown on Apr 5, 2006 at 7:48pm Add comment
it has been a long time since i tried the pencil eraser to clean the copper leads, but the printer has been running now since my last thread on 3/20. the light has not flashed and i did not replace the printhead.

good luck
by jnorton171 on Apr 15, 2006 at 5:48pm Add comment
My Canon S520 is producing banded colors, and is ok in black and white. I will try one or two solutions I've read here.

The main reason for writing is to say that I've been investigating new printers. I want another Canon, because the S520 was so perfect for my needs. I have a supplier, Carrot Ink, for the Canon S520 cartridges, which supplies good stuff for cheap.

The thing is, a user review of the Canon Pixma IP4200 found on http://reviews.cnet.com details that Canon now embeds a chip in each of the ink-tanks, first to signal the ink-out controller and second either a) to query the user as to whether she or he refilled the tank, or b) whether she or he used a non-Canon refill or ink tank. If the answer to b) is positive, the ink-out alert system apparently shuts down forever.
by unknown on May 6, 2006 at 4:08pm Add comment
Printer blinks alternate green and orange. Tried manual's suggested fix which didn't fix it. Any alternative to having it serviced or replacing it?
by unknown on May 21, 2006 at 12:03am Add comment
waste ink absorber full error
by satyasharanmandal on May 24, 2006 at 9:01am Add comment
Hey anonymous,
I tried Printx's instructions at the top, but they don't work (someone asked about releasing the Power button after step 3...).

What steps did you take?

Thanks,
smp
by smp on May 24, 2006 at 4:17pm Add comment
This site has very helpful to solve l had same problem 7 times amber flashed then green l cleaned 'waste tank' as well as the print head and it worked - printed a few pages then stopped - then amber & green lights flash alternately, does not print or move'rr..rr..roter'move at all, can anyone help me please?
by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2006 at 8:11am Add comment
J'ai acheté un imprimente malheureuse j'ai oubli de demande le cd donc je n'ai pas le driver est_ce que vous pouver me le donner
by Anonymous on Jun 13, 2006 at 8:09am Add comment
well. if i try that i cant install the USB cable.
only LPT1,2,3, COM1,2,3 blah bla...
no usb availeble, even when i try to choose manual by installing
by Anonymous on Jun 19, 2006 at 2:27pm Add comment
Can someone tell me exactly how to remove the print head, to clean, on a Canon S520? I'm getting the 7 orange flashes.
by Anonymous on Jun 27, 2006 at 4:30am Add comment
Decided to "give it a try" because it was the easiest fix to try. IT WORKED! i chose glossy photo paper and was able to print in black once again. thanks
by unknown on Jul 20, 2006 at 6:45pm Add comment
Decided to "give it a try" because it was the easiest fix to try. IT WORKED! i chose glossy photo paper and was able to print in black once again. thanks
by unknown on Jul 20, 2006 at 6:48pm Add comment
Ok, I bought completely new ink cartridges for my printer, they are correct- all BCI-3e ink cartridges, and somehow when I print pictures it is not showing any red at all. Most colors seem to come up blue. What is wrong??
by unknown on Jul 22, 2006 at 7:21pm Add comment
A series of 7 , 1 Green with 1 Orange alternating lights, a pause, and then it continually repeats the sequence. I can't print at all. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks
by ArthurBarryG on Jul 27, 2006 at 2:25pm Add comment
While printing a photo the printer stopt printing, meaning: it is making all the motions and sounds as if it is printing but no colour on the paper.
Now it van only print black text. Any suggestions?
kk

by omnia on Jul 31, 2006 at 12:14am Add comment
Okay, I tried all this on my s520 (see below) but am still getting 7 orange 1 green. I cleaned the waste ink pads, too. What other suggestions are there for solving this problem? Please advise.

Thanks.

-------------------------------

This should work
Waste Ink Counter Reset.

(3) Release the RESUME button, Next press and release the RESUME button two(2) more times in succession. Note: you are still holding the POWER button). The printer's carriage will “reset
by dmarie on Sep 8, 2006 at 11:16am Add comment
my printer cannon s520 was working until i change my pc and use the same printer (cannon s520), i lost the disk and i don't have an internet on this computer, now can you pls tell me how can i install the cannon s520 to this pc? thanks
by unknown on Oct 2, 2006 at 6:11am Add comment
I have the problem with Black as well. Somehow by changing the print quality from standard to high it works like a charm. Doesn't appear like printer head issue but seem more likely cannon has coded its chip to decide when it should fail...damned.
by Anonymous on Oct 4, 2006 at 6:43am Add comment
Waste tank was full. I cleaned it but the printer needs resetting. I have tried the method mentionned on this site i.e. Switch off, hold resume, press and hold power, release resume and press it down twice more. Release power. Press resume 4 more times. Press power and switch off. Switch on again and I still have the dreaded 8 flashing lights. Am I resetting correctly? Can anybody tell me where I get it wrong?

Thanks
by unknown on Oct 19, 2006 at 10:24am Add comment
Does anyone have a print head for the s520. i just bought the printer used, but it doesn't have one. please let me know! - Anonymous
Hope this info helps others. This question thread has run for more than a year but there have been some great suggestions and solutions to cleaning and fixing print heads. I've had an i560 for 2 1/2 years. At first I used the Canon Cartridges but they were too expensive so for the last 2 years I have been filling my own carts with ink I bought off the web. It has worked fine for most of the time. When I bought low cost photo paper (Royal Brites HIgh Gloss) from Sam's club, the colors never came out right. I must have messed with adjusting colors manually for 6 months but no help. Never EVER had a problem with the black ink. Then I started getting too much streaking in the Cyan colors. After weeks of head cleanings & nozzle checks it just got worse.

That is when I read the posts in this forum and found the head cleaning suggestion. I followed it in great detail and I know I really cleaned the head, but each time I printed the streaks in the cyan and other colors would come back. I have always had a backup set of new Cartridges so I put in a new Cyan, did a head cleaning cycle, and the problem was fixed. All my colors came back to what they should be. It did not fix the problem with bad colors on low cost paper but at least the colors come out nice and clean. The answer is I had been using the same cartridge for more than 2 years, filling it with new ink about once a month. After two years sufficient ink had dried in the bottom of the cartridge that the print head could not "SUCK" enough ink to print clean patterns. I had been so convinced that the problem was always with my print head that I never even thought of trying a new cart. I always wondered why the printer used less Cyan ink than the other inks. I took the old Cyan ink Cart and completely flushed out all the old ink with warm water and put it away. I doubt if I will every waste anymore time on it. By the way, I use both Windex and rubbing Alcohol to clean the print head. I don't know for sure but I've seen many post where people have had problems once they clean their heads and put them back. You have to be really careful not to get the gold contacts on the back of the print head dirty or your printer won't work or it will think it is not a Canon Print head. Since there are no electrical connections or chips in the Canon Carts, (AS there are in the Epson Carts), the printer can not tell the difference in an after market ink cartridge.

Sorry for being so long on this but hope it helps someone.
by Trigger37 on Nov 8, 2006 at 9:55am Add comment
normal printing - except for issue of no blue - this with a new cartridge, too. Can anyone suggest a fix...?
by Franklin on Nov 16, 2006 at 12:24pm Add comment