Paul

asked Sep 9, 2004 at 8:00am
Hp HP OfficeJet G85

hp OfficeJet G85 leaking

I have an OfficeJet G85 that is leaking black ink. It is all over under the printer, and yet the cartridge itself does not look like it is actually leaking. It is very clean, but I know that ink had to come from somewhere. I am not sure what is going on or what to do about it. I did a search and thought there was an old post about this, but the links from the search won't work. Thus the new post. Thanks.
MauiGirl
I can't email you unless you email me first. Click on the crossed tools to the right of my name. Ask for the Deskjet 900 Series Disassembly Procedure.
by Bert on Aug 8, 2008 at 8:42am Add comment
If the leaking is on the right, the service station has overflowed. After disassembly I suggest using a garden hose set to a trickle to wash out the bottom of the printer. Avoid getting water on the carriage, electronics boards, and motors.

You will need T10 and T20 Torx drivers.

Preliminary
Turn on the power. Open the printer as if you are going to change a cartridge and then unplug the power.

Removing the rear cover.
Looking from the rear, remove the T20 Torx screw on the left. This will allow you to remove the LIU (Line Interface Unit) cover and unplug the LIU. There are two push latches underneath that release the rear panel. It will hinge upward.

Cables
Removing the rear panel will reveal some cables connected to the scanner. Disconnect them.

Removing the Scanner
Tilt the scanner upward as if you are going to access the cartridges. You will see two large springs. Remove them. The front of the scanner pivots on two large hinges. Pry them apart with a slot style screwdriver. They will resist but will release and allow the scanner to rotate upwards. Rotate the scanner approximately 90 degrees and it will lift off of it's rear hinges. Use caution as you remove it in case you do not have all of the cables previously mentioned disconnected.

Removing the rest of the case
There is a flat piece held on by four T10 Torx screws and two side covers that will hinge outward when two T10 Torx screws on each one are removed. When the side covers hinge outward they can be removed.

Removing the Service Station
1. Unplug the connector from the carriage drive motor.
2. Unplug the connector from the main electronics board.
3. Viewed from the front, remove the red screw from right side of the service station.
4. Remove the screw in the vertical frame to the right of the carriage drive motor.
5. Remove the screw in the vertical frame to the left of the belt tensioner.
6. Looking from the top, remove the two screws going through the carriage rod.
7. The vertical frame will now hinge up and come free of mechanism.
8 Looking from the front, there is a large latch on the right side of the service station. The wiring obscures it. Using a slot style screwdriver, release the latch and the service station will rotate CCW and lift out. Unplug the motor connector to free the service station from the mechanism.

Cleaning the Service Station.
1. Remove the service station motor by removing one screw.
2. Scrape as much congealed ink as possible from the service station.
3. Immerse the service station in hot water to dissolve the remaining ink. This will take a while but after a few rinsings nearly all of the ink will be removed.
by Bert on Sep 9, 2004 at 10:54am Add comment
Dear Bert,
These instructions are absolutely great but I'm having a little difficulty taking apart the printer. It would really help if you could include a diagram lising all the parts of the printer. I figured out where the Line Interface Unit was located but when it got down to removing the service station and steps 1 through 8 I am totally lost. What do the initials CCW stand for?

If your still keeping up with fixyourprinter.com maybe, you can help me out. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much. - Anonymous
Bert,
Will the instructions (Re: hp OfficeJet G85 leaking by Bert (9/9/04 10:54 AM) work for a HP OfficeJet G55?
Thanks,
meme65 - meme65
CCW means counter clockwise, i.e. rotate to the left.

I have a 30 page HP disassembly procedure for the Deskjet 900 series. The print mechanism is extactly the same as the Officejet G85. The document size is 5MB and in PDF format. You'll need Adobe (Acrobat) Reader to view it.

Click on my name on this post to email me asking for the document. Make sure you give me your correct return email request. (I've responded several times to incorrect addresses.)
by Bert on Nov 10, 2006 at 10:52am Add comment
Bert,

Can you e-mail your pfc for the similar HP printer so that I might disassemble my G85 to fix the Scanner Failure" problem.
Thanks.
Eddie - ehj

Dear Bert,

Thanks for responding to my email. This printer is laying on my garage counter spread out all over the place. With your help and a whole lot of praying I'm hoping I can continue to take it apart and put things back where they belong. And just maybe it will work after all our hard work.

I'm am requesting your 30 page HP disassembly procedure for the Deskjet 900 series.

Thanks for being there for me.
by unknown on Nov 29, 2006 at 1:53pm Add comment
LIsa,

I suggest you follow Berts instructions and "Click on my name".

He doesn't have your email address to send the instructions to.

Stephen
(Just another unpaid volunteer)
by Stephen on Nov 29, 2006 at 2:09pm Add comment
Bert's instructions are RIGHT ON...... and my printer is working fine today. But boy does it get a lot of ink in that service station over the years!

His instructions are easy to follow, so good luck!
by kid_dynomite28 on Jul 5, 2007 at 7:42am Add comment
I cannot send you the disassembly procedure unless you email me first. Click on the crossed tools to the right of my name. Make absolutely sure that your return email address is correct and not expired. Tell me exactly what you want.
by Bert on Aug 14, 2007 at 2:01pm Add comment
My HP G85 is got a black pond under it. Can anyone help with instructions on fixing it?
by Budd on May 16, 2008 at 5:03pm Add comment
Didn't you see Bert's comprehensive instructions above? I'll save you the trouble of scrolling all the way up there.

If the leaking is on the right, the service station has overflowed. After disassembly I suggest using a garden hose set to a trickle to wash out the bottom of the printer. Avoid getting water on the carriage, electronics boards, and motors.

You will need T10 and T20 Torx drivers.

Preliminary
Turn on the power. Open the printer as if you are going to change a cartridge and then unplug the power.

Removing the rear cover.
Looking from the rear, remove the T20 Torx screw on the left. This will allow you to remove the LIU (Line Interface Unit) cover and unplug the LIU. There are two push latches underneath that release the rear panel. It will hinge upward.

Cables
Removing the rear panel will reveal some cables connected to the scanner. Disconnect them.

Removing the Scanner
Tilt the scanner upward as if you are going to access the cartridges. You will see two large springs. Remove them. The front of the scanner pivots on two large hinges. Pry them apart with a slot style screwdriver. They will resist but will release and allow the scanner to rotate upwards. Rotate the scanner approximately 90 degrees and it will lift off of it's rear hinges. Use caution as you remove it in case you do not have all of the cables previously mentioned disconnected.

Removing the rest of the case
There is a flat piece held on by four T10 Torx screws and two side covers that will hinge outward when two T10 Torx screws on each one are removed. When the side covers hinge outward they can be removed.

Removing the Service Station
1. Unplug the connector from the carriage drive motor.
2. Unplug the connector from the main electronics board.
3. Viewed from the front, remove the red screw from right side of the service station.
4. Remove the screw in the vertical frame to the right of the carriage drive motor.
5. Remove the screw in the vertical frame to the left of the belt tensioner.
6. Looking from the top, remove the two screws going through the carriage rod.
7. The vertical frame will now hinge up and come free of mechanism.
8 Looking from the front, there is a large latch on the right side of the service station. The wiring obscures it. Using a slot style screwdriver, release the latch and the service station will rotate CCW and lift out. Unplug the motor connector to free the service station from the mechanism.

Cleaning the Service Station.
1. Remove the service station motor by removing one screw.
2. Scrape as much congealed ink as possible from the service station.
3. Immerse the service station in hot water to dissolve the remaining ink. This will take a while but after a few rinsings nearly all of the ink will be removed.
by moe on May 16, 2008 at 5:10pm Add comment
And if you are still mailing out the diagram, please send to me too because I have the same problem. Thank You Very Much.
by MauiGirl on Aug 8, 2008 at 1:08am Add comment
I have a HP Deskjet 1220C doing the same thing. Would the disassembly procedure be the same? If so, I'd love to have a copy of the diagram, too.

Thanks.
by unknown on Sep 10, 2008 at 7:43am Add comment
Disassembling a Deskjet 1220 is completely different. The general instructions for cleaning the service station is the same.

Go to this web site to download the service manual.
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/
by Bert on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:41pm Add comment
Hello, Does anyone have a part number for a COMPLETE service station assembly for a G85? The closest number I was able to find is C6426-40085, but that is just the spittoon base. I want an assembly I can just swap in, then clean the old one at a later time. Thanks,Mark
by G85 on Oct 1, 2008 at 10:14am Add comment
Hi,

My girlfriend and I fix Officejet G85s as a hobby. We use HP 900 series Deskjets as parts donors, as well as the occasional G85 which is beyond help. Consequently, I have accumulated a few complete spittoon assemblies which I swap out whenever I service a G85 just like you are planning to do. It makes no sense to have to wait for spittoon parts to dry before putting a G85 back together!

Please contact me at doctuh at yahoo dot com if you are interested.

Harlan - unknown
Hi Bert,
I saw your postings on http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/22399
May I ask you to send me whatever you have to help me disassemble my G85?
The holder of the black cartridge lost one part sensing where the cartridge is mounted. I suspect this small metallic part fell inside the printer but I cannot seem to see it hence disassembly may be required.
by oschreiber on Jun 3, 2009 at 12:51pm Add comment
If the "part sensing the cartridge is mounted" you refer to is like the vertically mounted spring loaded part on the color cartridge side of the carriage, there is no need to worry because it is not needed. The part is an antistatic blade that was not installed at the factory. (I wish HP would have installed it because I've answered questions about this "missing" part many times.)

If your printer is not detecting a cartridge the problem is almost certainly a defective cartridge or dirty electrical contacts on the cartridge(s) and/or carriage. Clean them with a cotton swab and alcohol.

The instructions for disassembling your printer has been posted two times on this thread. Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name if you want the Deskjet 900 Series Disassembly Procedure. The print mechanism is identical.
by Bert on Jun 3, 2009 at 1:12pm Add comment
Thank you very much Bert. Your instructions above are excellent.

I just saw the post now.
I was really scratching my head about this indeed. How could it have
come off and disappeared? I was looking around the motors and in the
cleaning station for it :-)
Time to put it back together. I figured out how to put the spring
under the latch to make it latch again.
I have some clean up job to do now.

Thanks! - oschreiber
Hi Bert,
Indeed, had I done a google like: 'officejet g85 missing part'
I would have found your earlier posts about this but I had no reason at first to think there was no missing part. In my mind, I had just messed up and somehow dislodged the part by not inserting the cartridge properly so I just searched for `officejet g85 disassembly' and did not see the right post.
It is only after disassembly and gaining better visibility of the carriage that I could begin to suspect the part was never there to startm with.
Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your response.
Best. - oschreiber
Hi,
After putting back the printer together, I noticed a small 1/3 inch transparent plastic part had come off which might be the reason why I am getting:
Paper Mismatch/replace transparency messages when I try to Print a report.
How can I upload a picture of it?
How would I know where it comes from?
Thanks!
by oschreiber on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:28pm Add comment
This sounds like you are missing a spot sensor. This is discussed in several other places on here. I have spare ones if you need it. It's an easy replacement.
by unknown on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:44pm Add comment
I see the posts about it now.
I'll see if mine is in good shape by looking for where it goes.
Thanks! - oschreiber
The error typically appears when the rectangular lens becomes detached from the spot sensor, HP P/N C6426-60013. A very small piece of glass also falls out. The spot sensor is on the right side of the carriage and is under the cover held in place by one screw. Email me for a photo by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name. Be specific about what you need.
by Bert on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:56pm Add comment
I also saw the piece of glass.
Thanks! - oschreiber
By glueing back the plastic part and the square glass I think I messed up
the transparency so the Paper Mismatch/replace transparency messages when I try to Print a report still appear.
I was clumsy.
I think I may need the support for it too.
by oschreiber on Jun 4, 2009 at 4:59pm Add comment
Bert sent me these instructions and two photos I can forward if anybody is interested from oschreiber.ae90 at gtalumni dot org

One photo shows the right view of the carriage and the red screw that
holds the spot sensor cover in place. The other photo shows the spot
sensor upside down so that the rectangular lens that typically comes off
can be seen. If the lens is off keep in mind that the small piece of
glass I mentioned must be found and replaced or the spot sensor will not
work. You can get an new spot sensor here: http://www.partshere.com/

(part number: Hewlett Packard C6426-60013)

Doctuh also had the part.

Thanks! - oschreiber
I received the part this afternoon, put just a little bit
of glue where the plastic latches on the black support, installed
it and it works!
Thanks to Harlan and Bert!

by oschreiber on Jun 8, 2009 at 7:22pm Add comment
As with the other posts, I am having the problem with the sponge tray overflowing causing leaking from the bottom of my HP G85 Officjet.

Please send me the more detailed instructions on removing the service station. I am a "fixer-upper" but have never been in my printer! So any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from Texas!
by melontx on Apr 30, 2010 at 5:11am Add comment
Am I correct in understanding that by replacing the complete service station (i.e. the spittoon assembly), I would avoid having to go thru the entire messy clean up procedure?

If so, I would be interested in getting a complete spittoon assembly for my HP G85 Officjet. Please email with the costs and how to order.

Thanks for Texas!
by melontx on May 1, 2010 at 7:07am Add comment
There really is no point in replacing it. I take them out and stick them in the sink under hot running water. We've got a stainless steel sink in the shop that's easy to clean. If you do it at home, you want to do it when the spouse is not around to avoid the grief.
by moe on May 1, 2010 at 9:25am Add comment
I disagree. I favor taking apart and cleaning the overfilled spitoon during the overhaul, but reusing it later. I leave it out to air dry. I keep a spare one already cleaned and assembled so I can put everything back together immediately at one sitting. I don't want to be left with G85 parts scattered and disassembled, waiting for the sponge and other stuff from the first spitoon assembly to dry.
by doctuh on May 1, 2010 at 9:34am Add comment
I am not certain how to remove the scanner assembly from the HP G85. Instructions say to use a flat screwdriver to pry it off long hings which connect it to the front door. I have tried every way I thought would work without luck. I don't want to break them so could you give me some help with this.

Thanks from Texas - melontx
Before I tell you anything that might be dangerous, have you disconnected all the ribbon cables in the back? If not, you will destroy them when you try to take off the scanner assembly.
by doctuh on May 2, 2010 at 2:42pm Add comment
yes, I just did that. there are 3 of them, correct?
by melontx on May 2, 2010 at 2:49pm Add comment
Yes....and the long hinges just need to be muscled out of where they connect in the front. It takes a certain amount of elbow grease. They are not dainty.
by doctuh on May 2, 2010 at 3:14pm Add comment
Just to make certain I undestand...as I look at the front door unit, to right & left are the front sides of the long hinges. I pry each of them between the scanner & the door unit, away from the scanner itself. This means the hinges will remain on the front door?
by melontx on May 2, 2010 at 3:30pm Add comment
OK, when you open the front door the hinges are sticking from the outside into a kinda squared-off base structure. You pry the hinges out to the side by pushing, and they will come out of the base unit. What comes out is a part of the front (AKA carriage access) door. They pry out to the SIDE and then lift up. Of course, you have already disconnected the springs from either side which also are sticking into the carriage access door, correct?
by doctuh on May 2, 2010 at 4:33pm Add comment
HELP!!! Well I have tried several times but cannot get the hunges to come off.

What I've done is to put the screwdriver aproaching from the inside front of the front door toward the cover of the printer. I placed it on top of the slot in which the slider is contained. This puts the screwdriver in between the top of the hinge & the bottom of the scanner unit.

If I were able to dislodge it, it would mean the hinge unit will be attached to the side of the front door. Would this be correct?

I have tried tapping the screwdriver with a hammer to get the head in as far as possible. I then tried to twist it upward without success.

So, is this the correct approach? What tools do you use to get this stubborn hinges to give way?

Frustrated from San Antonio! - Anonymous
yes i did & I'll retry getting the hinges off tomorrow.
Thanks for the help...I'll let you know if I was ablwe to it.

Good nite, for now, from Texas!
by melontx on May 2, 2010 at 8:18pm Add comment
DOCTUH....HELP!!! Well I have tried several times but cannot get the hunges to come off.

What I've done is to put the screwdriver aproaching from the inside front of the front door toward the cover of the printer. I placed it on top of the slot in which the slider is contained. This puts the screwdriver in between the top of the hinge & the bottom of the scanner unit.

If I were able to dislodge it, it would mean the hinge unit will be attached to the side of the front door. Would this be correct?

I have tried tapping the screwdriver with a hammer to get the head in as far as possible. I then tried to twist it upward without success.

So, is this the correct approach? What tools do you use to get this stubborn hinges to give way?

Frustrated from San Antonio!
by melontx on May 3, 2010 at 3:22pm Add comment
I haven't done one for awhile, but from memory it's really, really simple. First remove the back panel. There are one or 2 screws holding it and it pops off. Disconnect all the connectors that are coming down. Now pop the front up. There are a couple of posts coming down with springs attached. Remove the 2 springs. Then you put a screwdriver between the 2 pieces of plastic on each side and pop them apart. That releases the top. Then the whole top pivots back and you lift it and remove it.
by moe on May 3, 2010 at 5:18pm Add comment
friends please help
I had to disassemble my 4110 printer/copier/scanner/fax to fix the paper pickup pulley,the gear fixed to the main shaft had developed a crack resulting in no transfer of drive to the pickup pulley; I temporarily fixed it with a drop of locktite around the crack,
but in the process I had to un plug two connectors and also a flat ribbon cable on the main PCB close to the scanner.when the ribbon cable was refixed,possibly it did not seat properly and on switching on started showing an error code with led yellow flickering.
now the printer works fine,Incoming fax too is ok, but on copy command or even scan command the paper drive mechanism works fine but lamp does not glow resulting in complete black copy.
I have noticed a heated big SMD resistor in front of the ribbon cable,the resistor which cant be read as it has undergone change because of heat but now reads approx 15K ohms,I have also checked the discrete transistors around seems ok ! being an engineer just dont feel like throwing away an almost functional machine, but in absense of circuit diagram I cant proceed further to check if the lamp (is it a halogen or a string of LED s I have no idea )or the drive circuitry is at fault,probably its the later !
can you guide
thanks regards
pkdatta
by pkdatta on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:40am Add comment
I need help. My hubby and I took our G85 all apart (per instructions on this post, cleaned up all the ink and put it back together. It works but, it keeps giving me a cartridge alignment failure everytime I try to align them. I've taken the cartridges out and put them back in and ran a "clean cartridges" in maintenance. It still gives me a failure but it does print. Any ideas? Thanks
by Hawaiigirl on Feb 19, 2011 at 9:22pm Add comment
You may have a faulty or partially empty cartridge. You need to have yellow and black ink present in the cartridges for alignment to work. Are you using aftermarket cartridges, particularly color? If you blot the color cartridge on a paper towel, do you get all three colors? It's annoying and you may notice color pictures not looking right, but you can keep going as-is if you are mostly printing black and white stuff.
by unknown on Feb 20, 2011 at 5:22am Add comment
I realize that you have posted this many years ago, but if you are still at this e-mail address and have the pictures on how to remove everything I would appreciate getting a copy.
by 1oldman on Oct 23, 2011 at 12:30pm Add comment
Hello, I found some Deskjet 9xx disassembly documents on:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/24508/hp_Deskjet\%209xx.html

Not sure if they are the same stuff that Bert has/had.

Now I have to find time to work on my old G85 and try to clean up the service station gunk ....

Good luck,

Luis

by luisd on Jan 4, 2014 at 11:26am Add comment
I am curious: Is this G85 service station overflow problem specific only to this printer? Or other HP printers? Or do all brands of printers after years of service eventually overflow?
by unknown on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:12pm Add comment
All 800 and 900 series HP printers do this, of which the G85 is a member. I don't know what other printers do.
by unknown on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:33pm Add comment