unknown

asked Jun 26, 2004 at 7:22pm
Unknown Printer

Photosmart 7760 print cartridge cradle is stuck

When I turn on the printer I get the following message.
Print cartridge cradle is stuck. Clear jam then press OK.
I open the front and nothing is in the way. The print cartridge cradle moves freely. When I press OK it moves back and forth, then suddenly stops and displays the above message.
hp photosmart 7660 printer
"print caratridge cradle is stuck"
clear jam, the press ok

problem - cradle is all the way to the left side of machine - won't budge -

please - any advice
by chaz on Jul 13, 2004 at 5:31am Add comment
my 8150 shows same message any solutions? 2 yr old but hardly been used
by Anonymous on Jan 7, 2007 at 12:27pm Add comment
I have one in the shop with the same problem. The carriage moves freely but the error persists. I found that the carriage cannot dock properly in the service station. A close inspection revealed that the service station is broken. Too bad, no spare parts available from HP.

Take a close look, you may have the same problem.
by Bert on Jun 26, 2004 at 9:33pm Add comment
Thanks. I'll look and see.
by unknown on Jun 27, 2004 at 4:23pm Add comment
See my first post. As I recall, the carriage was initally stuck also. Regardless, any failed part is not available.
by Bert on Jul 13, 2004 at 12:27pm Add comment
Greetings-
Two questions. #1. Printer won't turn on after I installed a USB 2 flash card reader. I've tried switching USB cords within the two slots. HP Photosmart 7760 is connected by other USB port. Since the installation, printer will not turn on.
#2 When I use the zoom feature on the printer, I have to press the zoom buttons several times before it zooms in to crop. Is it because it has limited memory?
by Nance on Aug 18, 2004 at 5:20am Add comment
I have the same error message - "Print cartridge service station is stuck", but it freely moves back and forth but then gets to the left hand carriage side and repeates the message. I've looked all around and cannot find anything in the way. Did you ever fix your problem???? Please help -- I'm waiting to print my Xmas cards and in a real bind. Thanks
by Anonymous on Dec 12, 2005 at 6:40am Add comment
I had same problem - spoke to HP on-line service - there are some wheels on the bottom (left side ) that may help by turning them - but didn't - was told to take to a service centre
Fortunately printer was still under warrantee so the retail store fixed it - they didn't say how.
Seems to be a common problem for the machine - otherwise OK.
by Anonymous on May 16, 2006 at 8:09pm Add comment
Has the same problem :

"Print cartridge cradle is stuck. Clear jam then press OK.". Does anyone have the solution for this yet ? Mine is out of warranty.
by unknown on Sep 20, 2006 at 11:23am Add comment

http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Solution
Follow these instructions to adjust the clutch on the printer.
Disconnect the USB cable.
Press the printer power button to turn off the printer.
Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer.
Open the top cover of the printer.
Remove the print cartridges from the printer.
Slide the cradle to the right side of the printer.
Locate the clutch on the left side of the printer.
NOTE: The clutch is a flat, white, plastic component that rests just above the white roller gear wheel. In the HP Photosmart P1000 and P1100 printers, the clutch is black metal.

Figure 1: Printer clutch

Remove the rear access door from the back of the printer.
Press the clutch firmly towards the back of the printer, while rolling the wheels in the back of the printer upward two full rotations.
Release the clutch and roll the wheels up two more rotations.
Reinstall the rear access door.
Reinstall the print cartridges and secure the latches in place.
Close the top cover and reconnect the power cord.
Turn on the printer.
Print a test page.
NOTE: If the printer continues to display a Print cartridge cradle is stuck message or make grinding noises, click "contact hp" on this page for more support options.
by unknown on Sep 20, 2006 at 11:30am Add comment
~~YOU ARE TOTALLY AWESOME, I HAD PUT THIS IN THE CLOSET THINKING IT WAS UN~USABLE, I USED IT FOR EVERYTHING AND I REFUSED TO THROW IT OUT WITHOUT TRYING ONE MORE TIME TO FIX IT.... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.... HUGGZ, Jewelz~~ - Anonymous
It worked for me!!! Thank you so much :) :) - Anonymous
This does work but some may have to try this. After resetting, I still got the error message. I slid the printer cartridges all the way to the left and then kept pressing OK. After a couple of OK's I could tell the cartridges were trying to move and then on the 3rd OK everything was back to normal. - Anonymous
I have tried all of the above after contacting hp online support. They determined that it is a hardware issue and that they could assist me in upgrading. i do not want to dish out $$$$ for some simple little thing which I am sure this is. So frustrating. I'll keep updated if I find a resolution.
by 420buds on Sep 27, 2006 at 12:24pm Add comment
If you have tried suggested solution by HP (pushing 'latch', rotating wheel, etc.) and have thoroughly checked the printer for any 'paper' jam or any other 'foreign' object and still doesn't work.... chances are, it's a 'hardware' part failure /defect.

This is a very common problem with this (and other HP Photosmart models). Not even worth having it fix (unless under warranty). Just get a new one.....
by unknown on Oct 18, 2006 at 7:01am Add comment
try http://www.partstore.com for the part or google

c6487 60020 for the motor or c6487 60065 for the station, and if someone got one spare can i have please.

thanks lee.e - Anonymous
The suggesion worked with my printer although I had to remove cables, do what was suggested and plug in cables again. This worked for me.
by Scoppious on Dec 1, 2006 at 7:37am Add comment
That looks like a 5550 service station.

I have a 5550 parts machine, and I'd be willing to refurbish the service station and sell it for a good bit less that the site you have linked to.

Click on my name in the title bar of this post to email me if you are interested.
by Stephen on Dec 1, 2006 at 8:19pm Add comment
HOW DO YOU FIX IT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!1
by Anonymous on Dec 3, 2006 at 10:32am Add comment
I have a Photosmart 1215 that has worked for 4 years, and then this exact problem popped up tonight. The fix at HP's website posted above does seem to reset things momentarily, but as soon as paper is fed for a test print, the whole thing locks up again. I have reset the clutch several times, and am now about to do it with a 10-pound sledge.

Glad I found this site; now I know NOT to replace it with another HP model!
by unknown on Dec 4, 2006 at 8:11pm Add comment
Had the same Problem Checked all over no Jam Then i noticed in the middle of the cradle where the 2 white cables are that the metal clip was bent a little upward just enough that the cradle would not slide back and forth properly. It works fine now.Hope this helps someone .
by bailey1 on Jan 3, 2007 at 4:02pm Add comment
Thanks bailey you are a god among men - Anonymous
hi bailey any chance of clearer indication of where metal clip is for your 1/3/07 solutionto cradle stuck - Anonymous
i have a 8150 error message reads cartridge service station is stuck, press ok. it makes a lot of noise and jumps about and i can`t get ink cartridges out.anyone got any ideas or had similar problem
by Anonymous on Jan 10, 2007 at 12:42pm Add comment
i bought the printer 7760 2 years ago didnt start using it until fall of 06. didnt use it often now the damn cradle is stuck talked to hp but because my warranty expired no help i read the resposes above but i dont see nothing jammed or bent upward i paid $250 and i refuse to toss it help
by Anonymous on Apr 5, 2007 at 10:43am Add comment
My 7760 cradle stuck way on the left -- under the housing -- in a calibration test. Nothing suggested above helped. Then used a flashlight and looked inside, under the housing. One of the print cartridge latches (the blue one) had popped open. I used a long screwdriver blade to reach in, press it down, and lock it shut. Works fine now.
by unknown on Apr 12, 2007 at 12:01pm Add comment
Blue Cartridge open on mine too...Thankyou so much.. - JillRuck
Blue Cartridge open on mine too...Thankyou so much.. - JillRuck
Blue cartridge was open on mine too! Thank you!!!! - Anonymous
It works! Thanks for posting your response. - Anonymous
my light is blinking red on my printer. the cradle was stuck and i opened it up and got it moving, but light is still on. i think the power is blown or something like that, i don't see any movement or hear any noise from my printer?? geepers.
by unitedbrat on Jun 2, 2007 at 8:16pm Add comment
My printer with the stuck printer cartridges was about 6 years old. I bought a new HP C5180 All in One with the scanner and copier and lots happier. Now what do I do with this old printer...junk it?

by Anonymous on Jun 27, 2007 at 11:33am Add comment
my printer is blinking red and has no display in LCD panel. anyone experience this kind of problem? it's brand new and never been use.
by giantcollins on Sep 13, 2007 at 5:49pm Add comment
My red light blinks as well. The print cartridge is stuck to the right. If I press the power button the power stays on and the light blinks. Did you correct your problem? - Anonymous
Take it back to the store where you bought it. It's "broke" out of the box.

You didn't mention the model. My bet is that it is not a Photosmart 7760 since they've been out of production for a long time.
by Bert on Sep 13, 2007 at 8:48pm Add comment
My wife was using the 7760 printer, and realizing that the paper was low for a multi-page document print, attempted to load additional sheets of paper while the printer was printing. I was downstairs, and heard a very loud grinding noise that lasted for perhaps 15 seconds. The noise was VERY loud in the upstairs office where the printer was located, according to my wife.

The message on the screen now is that the print cartridge is jammed.

I tried the suggestions above to no avail. But closer inspection with a flashlight revealed that the notched belt that drives the print head is subtly fused to the white plastic drive wheel on the left side of the printer. Apparently the grinding noise was the wheel turning and skipping teeth on the belt, and getting so hot from friction that they melted together. It doesn't seem that this should happen from putting additional sheets of paper into the printer, and it seems like HP didn't do a very good job in the design, which allows the drive gear to forcibly grind up the belt. But my advice is to not try the time-saving trick my wife tried.

So this printer appears to be a goner considering that some folks above have stated that parts for the 7760 are no longer available. I would need a new gear and new belt.

Off to Costco to get a new printer!

by Stevzz on Sep 15, 2007 at 10:05pm Add comment
The carriage drive belt and motor can be recycled out of most any printer that uses the 55/57 cartridge set.
by Bert on Sep 15, 2007 at 10:20pm Add comment
My cartridges are stuck to the right with a blinking red light. No text at all on the screen.
by unknown on Nov 7, 2007 at 4:46pm Add comment
WOW louis c broering, you brought alot to this posting. Thanks for all the info
by Anonymous on Nov 8, 2007 at 3:27am Add comment
This sucks, i moved the carriage from the right to the left and now it is stuck on the left side of the printer. I don't know what to do from here..
by Anonymous on Nov 25, 2007 at 12:41pm Add comment
I got the same message, too. When I opened the toolbox and chose "Clean Cartridge heads" the printer was working and fine, but when I went to print a document, I got the error message that the cradle was stuck. If it was stuck, how could it do a test print???
by Anonymous on Jan 28, 2008 at 10:43am Add comment
HOW DO I GET IT UN STUCK
by Anonymous on Mar 11, 2008 at 11:13pm Add comment
after much email exchange with HP Total Care, and many hours of attempting to locate the jam - found that wire guide under print cartridge cradle had become jammed in a 1/2" open space outside of the track - with screwdriver pushed wire guide towards the center of the cartridge cradle and it released the jam - allowing the cartridge cradle to return to the print docking station - printer now back in operation - purchased the printer 3 years ago - out of warranty - soooo, with the current reduced cost of HP printers ordered a replacement as backup -
hope this posting helps someone - h/b 03/20/08 9:09am/edst
by unknown on Mar 20, 2008 at 6:09am Add comment
I just found another possible cause for this problem and error message, after coming here looking for a solution (and none of the above solutions helping).

I have a used Photosmart 1215 which I just acquired second-hand (don't know anything about the history, but I thought it worked OK). Worked fine at first, except the cartridges needed unclogging. After removing, cleaning, and replacing the cartridges, the print cartridges would stick all the way at the left, w/ the "stuck" error message. After pushing "OK", the cartridge moved all the way to the right, then back to the left, then stuck again.

The problem: the blue-green lever that holds the black cartridge in wasn't staying down quite all the way, and was hitting the case when moving to the left. It still could freely move to the right, so the problem would repeat.

The solution? Tape the lever down! Very low tech, but it works, and no more sticking!
by ruftytufty on Apr 10, 2008 at 12:44pm Add comment

HP DO NOT HELP CUSTOMERS WITH PRINTER PROBLEMS, THEY MAKE MONEY ON CARTRIDGES AND NOT ON PRINTERS.

IT APPEARS THAT THE CARTRIDGES STUCK IN THE SERVCE STATION IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM. I PAID OVER $200 FOR MY PRINTER, WHICH IS NOW READY FOR THE SCRAP HEAP. MARK HURD GETS RICH AND WE GET STUCK WITH JUNK.
by Anonymous on May 28, 2008 at 8:34pm Add comment
mine is driving me nuts my dad just gave it to me and it was working fine so one the trasport over to my house it decided to stop working , it says it's jamed i did the steps i was told to do and still nothing i thinking it's stuk like what H/B said "wire guide under print cartridge cradle had become jammed in a 1/2" open space outside of the track but i'm not sure i turn it one it makes allot of noise and the print cartridge doesn't move i'm tryed moving the wire guide but i don't know if there on properley ?? anyone have a pic of inside that i can compare with mine

by cindyb1980 on Sep 2, 2008 at 10:06am Add comment
I have tried all of your solutions to fixing the 7760 print cartridge cradle stuck too! My cradle freely moves from side to side, will bounce around on the left for a bit then will move to the docking station and then will stop. The red light and the notice will come up on screen. I push ok and nothing happens until I unplug the power cord and the process will repeat. I have purchased another printer but am purplexed as to why this is happening. If the printer was used and abused I could understand but is relatively unused, I am the origional owner and know its history.
by unknown on Sep 5, 2008 at 7:19am Add comment
For What Its Worth
Reference my 6/26/04 9:33 PM post. The person that brought the printer in came in with another of the same model, a few months later, that was damaged in the same way. It began to dawn on me that he probably broke the service station in both instances by trying to remove the cartridges with the printer turned off.
by Bert on Sep 5, 2008 at 9:18am Add comment
LOL, A guy once brought in an old 800 series printer that his "girlfriend" had replaced the cartridges in with power off. On that model, The cover is over the cartridges when they are parked and they center up when you open the lid. Either she was extremely strong or she used a crowbar, because she ripped out the whole left side of the cartridge carrier. Amazingly enough, the printer didn't work afterwards. I just shook my head and told the guy to get a new printer and a new girlfriend. - moe
Thank You for your instructions they were very helpfull.
by Anonymous on Oct 28, 2008 at 12:24am Add comment
had same problem with 8250. almost gave up. finally found some small bits paper far right. difficult to see. have a good poke around!
by unknown on Nov 22, 2008 at 3:19pm Add comment
Hi! I had the same "cartridge is jammed". Your cartrige ribbon belt is upside down. You have to open your printer and put it in hes ray. Ats
by unknown on Feb 15, 2009 at 11:28am Add comment
I found a raised tab on the clip that secures the white hard plastic tape (?) that travels with the cartridge assembly. It was obstructing the movement of the assembly. Bent it back down and now good to go. The clip is stainless steel and located on the back routing point of the white tape. Thanks to bailey1 above for the tip! Cheers all
by bobwag on Apr 29, 2009 at 9:43am Add comment
I just picked up a 7760 from Freecycle. The owner said the "cartridge stuck" message suddenly appeared and the reset procedure did not work. I poked around for several hours trying the above suggestions without success. While looking around inside the print head carriage bay, I saw a black plastic part at the far left of the print head track that didn't look like it was in the right place. When I grasped it, it moved easily and I removed it. Turns out it was a plastic cover for the ink cartridge that is removed before installation. It had somehow fallen into the print head bay. Upon removal, all was good. I realize this may be a one off occurrence, but it may help someone. Look at the far left to see if there is something impeding the full travel of the print heads. It seems that the travel distance is measured to determine head setup, and if it does not travel the appropriate distance it assumes it is stuck.
by Anonymous on Jun 23, 2009 at 3:39pm Add comment
Just had this very same problem, cartridge cover has been in the printer ever since I bought new cartridges for it last year, I know because I went looking for it and couldn't find it at the time. The funny thing is that the printer worked fine up until I moved the printer last week to the other side of the room!! - sunchyme
I had the same problem and i found that a plastic tool that is located under the main cover on the left side had fallen in when i moved the printer
by Anonymous on Sep 26, 2009 at 12:11pm Add comment
I had the same problem with the print cartridge cradle stuck. It would move freely left to right but each time I turned it on after preforming the unstck steps I would get the same message.
Finally after 2 hours and reading the thread I found that the belt had come off of the gear on the left side of the machine. I got it back on and all is fine.
by unknown on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:10pm Add comment
I have the same problem with my printer and it was caused by the
carriage belt cut into two pieces. I saw a response on another site
and somebody post that you could get HP P/N C6426-40115 Deskjet 900
to change the carriage belt for HP Photosmart 7760 for HP is not
selling a replacement part for 7760. I found one online and it just
costs $10.00.
by atyourservice on Jun 25, 2011 at 7:49pm Add comment
This worked for my printer....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Solution
Follow these instructions to adjust the clutch on the printer.
Disconnect the USB cable.
Press the printer power button to turn off the printer.
Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer.
Open the top cover of the printer.
Remove the print cartridges from the printer.
Slide the cradle to the right side of the printer.
Locate the clutch on the left side of the printer.
NOTE: The clutch is a flat, white, plastic component that rests just above the white roller gear wheel. In the HP Photosmart P1000 and P1100 printers, the clutch is black metal.

Figure 1: Printer clutch

Remove the rear access door from the back of the printer.
Press the clutch firmly towards the back of the printer, while rolling the wheels in the back of the printer upward two full rotations.
Release the clutch and roll the wheels up two more rotations.
Reinstall the rear access door.
Reinstall the print cartridges and secure the latches in place.
Close the top cover and reconnect the power cord.
Turn on the printer.
Print a test page.
NOTE: If the printer continues to display a Print cartridge cradle is stuck message or make grinding noises, click "contact hp" on this page for more support options.

Thank you Printer helper
by unknown on Jul 16, 2012 at 1:44pm Add comment
Seeing a patterno f sorts here. Seems the carriage gets stuck after the printer has been moved/transported...Mine did the same thing...Wonder why? We were careful witih it...
by unknown on Jul 16, 2013 at 2:39pm Add comment

I took out my cartridges, and hit okay. I let it slide back and forth a few times, the. It told me to reinsert them. I did and it worked fine

by Mrsdoll on Jan 24, 2016 at 9:50pm Add comment

Greetings all I realize this is some time after this post however I have had the same problem and have tried to follow your steps yet it still sticks and makes the creaking sound and the warning appears stating that Cradle stuck etc. Any new ideas?

by DR E on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:08pm Add comment