unknown

asked Mar 21, 2004 at 3:11am
Epson Epson Stylus C82

Epson Stylus C82 solution

Hi all. I have had problems with the head clogging on the C82. After spending a small fortune on new cartridges to find it still didn't work (it is just out of warranty, been 14 months old) I took off the lid (4 screws, 4 plastic latches). I found under the cleaning pad the suction hose (a small plastic pipe) had come loose, so any number of head cleans were a waste of time as the ink wasn't been drawn thro'. The most difficult part was reconnecting the tiny hose onto the plastic nipple under the cleaning pad (in the end my girlfriend with her small fingers and two pair of thin nosed pliers did the job). The pad itself is on a 'drawer' that slides to the right of the printer, so you can access underneath it. I would suggest everyone with problems of head not cleaning should check for this - providing their own printer is out of warranty.
I can provide greater details of this if you are interested. I am not a repairer by trade though, but it has been successful for me.
All the best, Martyn.
Managed to replace the hose but still nothing. Printer error then appears saying "Remove foreign object and turn printer off". Cartridge holder is thumping something at the charging station end as well now. At my wits end with this now. Please someone help!!!!!
by Janto on Mar 31, 2005 at 12:32pm Add comment
Martyn,
You are an inspiration. Thanks for the tip. I hope to enjoy the same success.

Mike (Electrical Engineer in Iowa)
by Mike on May 17, 2004 at 5:18pm Add comment
Wow man! I was just about to take it into the shop on Epson's advise until I read this post. So, I opened the printer (as it's not under warranty) and surprise, surprise....the tiny little hose popped off the nipple. Took me an hour, but with a bit of dismantling of the white runner contraption, I popped it back on, closed the printer, and it's like new.

Thanks of the tips. You saved me some cash.
by ctm on May 28, 2004 at 7:50pm Add comment
Thank you Thank You....

I found that I had to snip a little bit off the end of my hose to better connect to the print head. Can't believe I wasted $35 dollars to be told I needed a new print head at the recommended service provider. You guys are great.
by unknown on Jul 5, 2004 at 9:14am Add comment
I have an Epson Sylus C82 but it wont let me print in colored ink, the cartrige was printing in color and then all of the sudden stopped. It will only print in Black and grey, what should I do?
by Anonymous on Mar 21, 2005 at 3:59pm Add comment
Janto: I can only guess that something was knocked out of position, or reinstalled incorrectly and that is what is causing your printers problem. You might want to use the actual Service Manual as reference in troubleshooting, servicing and possible disassembly, to try and determine what is wrong with your printer. There is a free download of an "Epson Stylus Color C82 Service Manual", from fixyourownprinter.com, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/public/epson . That manual may be of some help in troubleshooting your printers problem...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Mar 31, 2005 at 12:41pm Add comment
I bought my C82 less than 2 years ago. Now it prints streaky lines. Most lines are so streaky that they are unreadable while a few lines are good. I replaced cartridges, cleaned the tube and did all that was suggested here but nothing worked. I notice that in the lower house of the printer, there is a think layer of ink, looks like there is a leakage somewhere. Did anyone have similar experience? Would apprecaite any help. If anyone could suggest a good printer that is less than $200 and does not use expensive cartridges, that'd be great. Thanks.
by Anonymous on Apr 17, 2005 at 9:07am Add comment
The ink you are seeing is probably normal. The ink asorber pads are in the bottom of the printer so you normally will see ink in the bottom of the printer. Did you use the cleaning kit from here? The kits does a great job on cleaning the dura brite inks.

If you buy the kit you should get the plus kit because it has the stronger solution and the tubing. Here is the link to the kit if you need it
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson/K89

I hope this helps,

Wes.
by unknown on Apr 17, 2005 at 9:26am Add comment
Anonymous: When I see horizontal type lines [side to side on page], banding, or colored lines being printed across photos, its usually do to a failing "Printhead Assembly", but no way to really know for sure. Generally speaking, cleaning will not usually help for long if it is a hardware/parts problem, that is actually causing those types of lines. If a colored line goes past the border of the actual printed image, that usually also indicates a failing printhead assembly...Here is some previously posted info by EDDY on 12/29/2004 @ 04:20:21 Re: epson and lines. Here is a procedure to confirm that the print head is failing: print the same picture at a lower resolution than the resolution which the problem occurs. Sometimes the problem does not occur at 720dpi or lower. If the problem does not occur then the print head is failing...There's a slight possibility that a build-up of dried ink, dust, dirt, lint and hair, that has possibly built-up on the bottom side and backside areas of the Printhead Assembly, can sometimes cause the "Printhead Nozzles" to fire crooked and that can cause a colored line to appear. The only way to find out, is to clean those two areas, just to eliminate that possibility. If you clean those areas and the lines are still there, then you can assume that its a Hardware/Part Failure thats causing the line problem. I ended up posting my in-depth information, for cleaning the underside & backside areas of the Print Head Assembly, on 4/7/05. You can see that in-depth info at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/28244 [simply click on that link and it will usually open for you], on the fixyourownprinter.com , Printer Repair Site. There are two separate posted replies, listing GENERAL INFO #1 and GENERAL INFO #2. You may want to perform that in-depth cleaning, to at least eliminate those very common problem areas. I hope that in-depth cleaning information, actually helps to correct your printers problem...Although its a lot of information to read and to follow, its not actually that hard to perform the needed servicing and cleaning. That info is posted step by step, so its usually not that hard to actually follow the steps in the actual cleaning procedure...Good Luck! Denny Conway

by Denny Conway on Apr 18, 2005 at 1:58pm Add comment
I have an Epson Stylus C82. The first one failed at 11 months and was replaced by a rebuilt. After 2 months the verticle alignment went and I cannot correct it. Do you have a solution?
by savana992001 on Sep 19, 2005 at 12:11pm Add comment
I have an Epson Stylus C82. The first one failed at 11 months and was replaced by a rebuilt. After 2 months the verticle alignment went and I cannot correct it. Do you have a solution?
by savana992001 on Sep 19, 2005 at 12:16pm Add comment
My son and I thank you for your solution. We were able to finish his science project presentation last night after I used two tweezers to reattach the little clear suction tube. I did some additional work to clean the tube by soaking the tube in isopropyl alcohol to clean out all residual ink. I blew out the dirty solution into a paper towel with a very light finger on computer dust-off compresses air. It then took two cycles of head cleaning.

I have some detailed photos I would like to post of the process. I can email them to you or the site host, if you send my the address.

Thanks again, Marvin Schafer
by Anonymous on Mar 6, 2006 at 4:33am Add comment
Hi if you could please send it to me:

[email protected]

Thanks in advance!!! - Anonymous
I am also having a problem with my C82. It was printing in streaky lines so badly that it was unreadable, but now the the red light on the ink button is permanently on and it wont print at all. I am using a non-epson black ink cartridge which was working and I dont want to go to the expense of buying a new epson cartridge only to find that it still wont work. Any ideas anyone?
by unknown on Apr 3, 2006 at 12:39am Add comment
I have the same problem, but can't even get the lid off. There are only two (2) screws that I see. Any tips?
by unknown on Apr 17, 2006 at 1:14pm Add comment
got it.
by unknown on Apr 17, 2006 at 2:01pm Add comment
My printer only prints blank pages, and I just replaced all the ink cartridges with Epson ink. I'm trying to take the case apart, but can only get the front of the case to open, the entire shell will not come off. Please help...
by unknown on Jul 18, 2006 at 11:14am Add comment
jaspie, i have the same problem did you find a solution? i was able to take the cover off (the plastic latches are tricky) but i don't see the plastic hose disconnected... any help... - Anonymous
by unknown on Jul 18, 2006 at 11:31am Add comment
That was a great link it helped me from having to take it to a dealer and spend tons of money to get it fixed. Still having a little problem with the color working perfect but I guess something is better then nothing at all.
by unknown on Aug 6, 2006 at 9:46am Add comment
On my Epson C84 the whole print head cleaning assembly comes out so it is very easy to reattach the hose! Just pull up on it and the whole assembly just pops out with no need to remove any screws!

The hose was not a problem on my C84. I talked to the cartridge refill lady that works at Inkwell and she said that the new Durabright inks clog up the heads because they are too thick. I dipped my print head in alcohol for days and put it back but it still won't print. The vacuum hose is attached and head cleaning didn't work so I think it’s time for another disposable Epson to go to the landfill.
by unknown on Oct 31, 2006 at 10:06am Add comment
Epson ink is water soluble. As mentioned in this forum thousands of times, alcohol has absolutely zero effect on ink. If you put a blob of hardened ink into a cup of alcohol, the alcohol eventually evaporates leaving the ink untouched. So, no surprize it didn't clean your head. - moe
The topic seems trivial, but as the details of operation are mostly company confidential, the users of Epson inkjets are often puzzled by the strange behavior of their devices. This article gives my opinion on the subject, which can explain several weird phenomenon related to this machine. I focus on the printing mechanism, ink consumption, and ink cartridges, trying to explain why these printers are prone to waste massive amounts of ink or die.

http://iki.fi/lassial/articles/computers/061106-How_Epson_inkjets_work
by unknown on Nov 6, 2006 at 11:52am Add comment
Try here inkjetprinterhelp.us/duraink.html You will need to read and click on a link or two.
by Anonymous on Nov 11, 2006 at 12:39pm Add comment
I have an epson stylus C82 that has been sitting for probably 2 years. I get a light greenish color when trying to print and when trying to clean the nozzles or head i get a blue and yellow check. No black or cyan color on the checks. I also dont get any black, ive tried removing the cover case to see if it was the plastic tube but that is intact. Any help? I've done cleanings on it probably 4-5 times now maybe even more. If any of you have suggestions that would be great. thanks in advance.
by unknown on Nov 20, 2006 at 6:10pm Add comment
A lot of cool tips here to be sure.

Anyone else just have the problem of horizontal banding in their C82's. Mine occurs heavily in the Black and a little in the Cyan. I have bought new cartridges, jumped through the hoops about cleaning the nozzles at least a couple of dozen times and still the bands are there. Any ideas? Thanks.
by Beckrboy on Mar 8, 2008 at 5:40pm Add comment
This must be years later, but followed instructions given by Martyn Thompson and they worked perfectly .... problem solved with no need to throw printer away. Thanks heaps.
by unknown on Aug 6, 2014 at 3:13am Add comment
Anonymous: Try running a nozzle test directly from your computer system and see if any of the color nozzles are not actually firing or printing. If so, try running sets of the "Printhead Cleaning Cycles" & "Nozzle Tests", to see if that helps to get those nozzles to open up again and start printing again. You must run a nozzle test after every cleaning cycle ran, because your printer uses the nozzle test as a point of reference for the next cleaning cycle that is ran. If running those tests don't help, then its always possible that your printer may have an actual hardware/parts problem, such as a failing Printhead Assembly or Main Board Assembly, or possibly even failing ink cartridges, especially if using non-epson ink cartridges. However, normally the most common problem is clogging of the printhead nozzles, especially if you were actually using Generic or Third-Party ink cartridges in your printer. You might want to try using the "Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution", available through fixyourownprinter.com, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson , but it will only help, if there is an actual clogged printhead assembly. When it opens, click-on "Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution" thats listed for your particular printer. The Epson solution sells for around $10.00 plus shipping. It includes a syringe and some Epson printhead cleaning solution, which is designed to dissolve most clogs, especially if you were using Epson inks. This is the same chemical used by Epson in their service department. You can try it if you want to and see if you can get the printhead nozzles to open up again, but that will only help if they are actually clogged. It was basically designed by Epson Company for use on their older models of ink jet printers, but people have been using it on the newer models, with success reported. IF YOU DECIDE TO, TRY THE "EPSON STYLUS HEAD CLEANING SOLUTION", JUST REMEMBER: The "nozzles" inside the printhead assembly can be easily damaged by using to much force on the plunger of the syringe. Damage can even occur when you are using the Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution method, if you actually try to force the fluid thru the nozzle. To much force/pressure can damage the little tubes inside the Nozzle Assembly and then it will never work again. One individual printhead nozzle is so tiny, that it will not accept a human hair. You can see why they can get clogged so easily, or even why the nozzles can be so easily damaged. The correct method is to use the syringe to add the fluid into the nozzle and then leave the fluids set inside the nozzle for a day or two, to try and dissolve a possible bad clog. If you remove the "Top Cover Assembly", then you can leave the printhead assembly parked in its normal home position, at the far right side. Then any ink & fluids that are purged during the cleaning, will normally travel thru the cleaning station hoses, to the waste ink pads. If you have the "Print Cartridge Holder Assembly", positioned away from the home position, then you will need to slide strips of paper towels or coffee filters under that assembly, to soak up any expelled ink and fluids, or it can get all over. Sometimes you might have to use the fluids several times to be able to dissolve the clog in the printhead nozzles. Sometimes the clog will never dissolve, or it actually damages the nozzles. The longer the clog has been in, the worse it is to remove. Again, if the cleaning fluids don't help, then its generally time to invest in a new printer. In some more expensive printers, you may want to get an estimate to replace the printhead assembly, but as a general rule, its not really economical to do in the smaller Epson Ink Jet style printers. You can generally buy a new small printer cheaper than you can have your old one repaired for. EXAMPLE: The printhead assembly in the "C80" Printer sells for around $120 to $130. There is a REVIEW of the "Printhead Cleaning Solution", as well as general "Printhead Cleaning Instructions", that is available to view at http://www.inkjetprinterhelp.us/EKR.html ...Good Luck! Denny Conway

by Denny Conway on Mar 22, 2005 at 11:59am Add comment