unknown

asked Mar 2, 2004 at 9:02am
Unknown Printer

Poor print quality

I have a Lexmark Z53 that has developed very poor printing quality. Around a month ago the black printer cartridge began having excessive ink collect around the bottom of the cartridge. Each color cartridge that I used, the yellow would continually dry.

At present, when pages are printed from the printer the pages print out with either pages that alternate black and red lettering. Also, when color pages are printed off the color, even when printed on a 'normal' quality, will print unevenly or print yellow and red.

Any ideas as to whether this can be fixed?
Thanks for the information. I will give the cleaning a try and see if my problem improves. I will use the distilled water and some cotton swabs. Would you suggest using rubbing alcohol for cleaning? Also, is there anything that I don't need to clean or touch while I'm working on cleaning the printer?
by unknown on Mar 2, 2004 at 11:07am Add comment
I suspect you have a cartridge contamination problem due to excess waste ink build up in the cartridge/carriage parking area. It will cost you nothing but time and some distilled water to clean that area.Lift cover, cartridges are presented, unplug printer and then clean.

Popsicle sticks, cotton swabs and a flashlight are useful tools.

Follow up with a complete cleanup (again, distilled/no minerals water)of the carriage area, contacts, contacts on cartridges and their printheads. Use a soft touch on the cartridges....lint free cloth or swab.
by Rudy on Mar 2, 2004 at 10:46am Add comment