unknown

asked Feb 22, 2004 at 8:01pm
Canon Canon FC 2

black ink does not print (Canon S600)

My printer has been printing great for the past 2 years (standard and draft). Last December I noticed light white horizontal lines whenever I print pictures or fills. I had it checked at Canon service center and a print head change was suggested. Desperately, I bought a new print head (horizontal lines no more). Then after few months, i noticed my printer missing text prints (all colors). I resorted to deep cleaning whenever this kind of printing happens. Deep cleaning corrects my problem but then after several times of doing this I got another error "waste ink tank full" caused by my frequent deep cleaning (it wont print anything then). I found the fix thru this site and I was able to reset the counter and my printer is working again. Then the latest problem -BLACK INK does not print-(full ink tank still), I tried it with the colored and it printed.I tried cleanign the nozzle, print ahead alignment anddeep cleaning but it still does nto print. What can be the problem?????????? Thanks for any inputs ASAP....i badly need my printer! (lol)
how can i fix this error, error 5200 & error 5c00??? canon s200spx is my printer...
by ryan esguerra on May 11, 2005 at 10:17pm Add comment
I disconnected the printer and installed it on another computer.

It worked straight away.

So I re-installed it on the original machine. And it worked fine.

Heaven knows why!

Apparently the error means:

"5C00 Make sure no obstructions are blocking the cartridge movement, if not needs service."

But there was no such obstruction on my printer.

Mysteries of computers! - Anonymous
Sounds like I'm not the only one fustrated with losing black ink. I've tried a couple of the options listed above and still no luck.
I tried alcohol first, then the windex, and tons of "Deep Cleaning" in between still with nothing hapening. I'm able to print color, and I know all the ink is getting through, black included. Just not sure why it's not making it's way onto the paper. Seems to be a problem with the printer or driver, not the ink, printhead holder or other hardware.
by unknown on Jul 4, 2004 at 4:38am Add comment
When I attempt to print using my Canon S600, I get alternating, flashing green and amber indicators. I have no control beyond this point, so I can't do any tests, maintenance, etc. I can't even get the ink tanks to move to the center position when I open the door. I'm using fairly new cartridges and everything was fantastic until I suddenly came down with this. In case it could affect something, I did install and attempt to use two free .pdf-to-text conversion utilities (printers) that wouldn't work (apparently because my printer is not a postscript printer). These now have been properly uninstalled.

I can still use the Canon software up to the point where I receive this message: "Service Error 5200. Cancel printing and turn the printer off and then back on. If this doesn't clear the error, see the printer manual for more detail." Anybody know of a list of Canon error message details?

Nothing in the manual or the help files has been useful. I've tried printing from the Command Line according to Canon's instructions, but I get no response (or explanation) at all. I do, however, find a test document queued up for printing. It won't print, though.

The Printer was in excellent shape and produced very good documents. Does this sound like it almost has to be one of the cables? Am I wasting my time messing with print heads, drivers, counters, etc.?

Nice forum; nice people!
by unknown on Jul 4, 2004 at 6:04am Add comment
jon, did you ever get a reply on this problem? i've got a Canon s750 and it just started doing the flashing green/to/amber lights and error 5200 message. help????? - Anonymous
Error 5200: means you have a knackered print head, so unless you have a lot of unused ink cartridges in your cupboard, you are better off buying a new printer. The cost of a new print head is about £60-£70. - unknown
i have a Cannon S200SPX printer how will I clean the black printer head so that it would print again.is it ok to clean it with alchohol or not?

please help me!!!!
by me on Apr 21, 2005 at 4:09am Add comment
method1:
use pure kerosene dip a small drop in head then clean with soft cloth or ear buds
method2:
set the black in high leve intensity then print the black colour diagram above 10 to 25 print out .
it will clear the error.
dont change the print head alignment - Anonymous
dip the head in a warm water in a few seconds.. baka may bara/dumi maaalis un. tapos wipe it up by a tissue paper... try mo... - ryan esguerra
kepada yth
pimpinan Fixyourownprinter.
Di_
tempat.

terima kasih atas situs yang saudara buat untuk keprluan servis printer.sebenarnya saya ada masalah dengan printer saya .
Printer nya matot (alias mati total) bagaimana cara mengatasi?
dan informasinya harus pakai sofware baru printernya bisa hidup.
tapi teganganya sudah saya ukur.terioma kasih atas bantuanya. - Anonymous
kepada yth
pimpinan Fixyourownprinter.
Di_
tempat.

terima kasih atas situs yang saudara buat untuk keprluan servis printer.sebenarnya saya ada masalah dengan printer saya .
Printer nya matot (alias mati total) bagaimana cara mengatasi?
dan informasinya harus pakai sofware baru printernya bisa hidup.
tapi teganganya sudah saya ukur.terioma kasih atas bantuanya. - Anonymous
my canon i250 head doesnt print anything. if i put the paper it comes out with out printing any text.Please help me
by Samiullah on Jul 6, 2005 at 12:46am Add comment
Even when there is no paper in it the warning orange light flashes three times. Error message reads: Service error 6000. Turn off printer and try again. I do but it doesn´t work. Anyone recognise this problem please?
by unknown on Aug 10, 2005 at 3:02pm Add comment
I would suggest phoning the local Canon service centre. Perhaps you have a hardware fault.

I had a similar fault and Canon replaced the printer.

Cheers - Anonymous
Hi, I am having heaps of problems with my printer. It does not print colour or black. Everytime I print an error 5200 comes up and I cannot find my manual. The catridges are new. On opening my printer to replace cartridge I found no movement at all in which the cartridge holder is meant to move to the centre. My printer was going fine a few weeks ago and then it just stopped indicating an error 5200. Please help me.
Wai.
by Waitauhi Gage on Oct 25, 2005 at 6:14pm Add comment
I am having the exact same problem. Did you ever get yours fixed?

Thanks,
Susan - Anonymous
I'm having the same problem. - efroese
hi I have a mp110 printer with the fault code 5200 could not work out the fault so i uninstalled the printer & reinstalled ... all works so far it printed the 4 copys i needed good luck
john - Anonymous
I have a new MP130 - 2 weeks old although it had been on display at the shop. Today, when printing an email, it just wouldn't print. I think I tried the Stop/Reset button to clear it but it just sat there for ages displaying "CANCELLING". Pressing anything else while I waited brought the "INVALID KEY" message. Eventually I trned it off and back on. Now all I can get it to do is display the words "PLEASE WAIT" on its little screen and the red light ususlly stays on when I turn the printer on again.

Any thoughts on what's the go?

Is there a button combination to hold while I fire it up to reset it or troubleshoot?

All the advice on the Canon website doesn't seem to apply to this problem. - Anonymous
Hi Fella... it seems you have the identical problem to me and millions of others with this model. My question is did someone help you out? is it resolved and if so how the hell did you do it cause Im baffled. Been happening since almost new.

Regards

Ian - Anonymous
Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. It was working fine just a few days ago, but now it won't print anything. I hope there is some way to fix this. - unknown
and in documents the black ink don`t print but it was not like this before but now it is blicking check printer 5200, thanks for your reply. - Iyke
Hi!

I just got off the phone with Canon Tech Support for this issue. I had purchasesd my Pixma MP130 in Oct of 05 and got the "Check Printer (5200)" message today (4/24/06). I called them, they were great, and here is what they had me do:

1. Open cover of printer and verify that the ink cartridge carriage is not in the center of the printer. Leave cover open.
2. Unplug the electrical cord from the printer and wait 30 seconds.
3. Plug electrical cord back in, when ink cartride carriage moves to the center of the printer quickly unplug the electrical cord again. This should leave the ink cartridge carriage in the center of the printer so you can get to it.
4. Lift up the gray arm that surrounds the ink cartridges.
5. Remove the entire ink cartridge holder (not just the ink cartridges). It will lift out easily as a unit. Lower the gray arm that you lifted to remove the cartridge holder.
6. Close printer cover. Plug electricity back in.
7. There should be a message about checking the ink cartridge on the display (I can't remember exactly what it said but it was something like that).
8. Open printer, lift the gray arm that surrounds the ink cartridge area and reinsert the ink cartridge holder (with the ink cartridges in it). Lower the gray arm.
9. Close printer cover.
10. The display should appear normal now, and you should be able to print again.

I hope this helps a few folks out there, if you have trouble following the steps, the people at Canon are great! Very patient and kind.
I called the following number for tech support: 800-828-4040
- Anonymous
I've tried the cleaning methods mentioned, but still no luck. Any more idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
by Anonymous on Oct 31, 2005 at 12:12pm Add comment
Same problem here again with the same printer...anyone got a fix for it?
by Anonymous on Jan 7, 2006 at 3:55pm Add comment
SOSOSOSOOSOSOSOOSOSOSOOSOSOSOSOSOOSOSOs
Need help fast

I have had my cannon for over 2 years and the is flashing a brighter yellow and can not print please help asp asp asp
by ltrulaw on Jan 24, 2006 at 9:35pm Add comment
I also tried everything to clean the head of my S520 to get the black ink to print. I finally found the post about switching the printer preferences to Photo Paper, other than the Plain Paper setting, and it worked! Must be some sort of hardware glitch. It prints slower in this mode, but the black ink works now!!
by tisakson on Jan 31, 2006 at 7:21am Add comment
My 6 month old printer will no longer print. I get a code of 5200. New cartridges installed to no avail.Print head does not move to centre when I lift the scanner bedto change ink tanks.
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling no go.

Any ideas ?

HELP
by Anonymous on Jan 31, 2006 at 5:43pm Add comment
To the person who suggested printing with PHOTO PRINT PRO to solve a problem with S520 leaving lines blank in the printing and alsorts of other weird colour/black problems.

BLESS YOU, I have spent 3 damn days trying to fix this and was going to buy a new printer tomorrow:-)))))

Jeannie - you are amazing!!
by unknown on Feb 8, 2006 at 7:41am Add comment
Hope this helps someone,I spent hours browsing the net, my i250 would not print black text from files e.g wordpad,word etc, the nozzle check proved there was ink in my tanks and the head was ok, Canon service got me to do some basic checks but there was no reset available for this model, what did cure it was (and this thanks to another post somewhere on this forum!)was not to uninstall the printer driver and reinstall it but install the printer again as a second printer then change the new one to the default printer and the change it back, hey presto it worked!!
by Garys printer on Nov 12, 2006 at 1:23pm Add comment
Try a few print head deep cleanings if that does not help then you could try soaking the print head in a shallow plate of hot distilled water. Soak the tip of the print head only in no more than 1/8th to 1/4 inch of water.

I hope this helps.

Wes.
by unknown on Feb 22, 2004 at 9:23pm Add comment
Ive got a coloured ink inside the printer it just wont print out coloured it keep coming out cloured.

Thanks - Anonymous
MY CANON BJC-4400 PRINTER DOES NOT PRINT ON PAPER ONLY SOUNDS AS IF IT IS PRINTING BUT WHEN FINISHED I HAVE AGHOST PAGE WHAT CAN THE PROBLEM BE ALSO WHAT CAN I DO?
by unknown on Feb 24, 2004 at 8:46pm Add comment
Try a few print head deep cleanings if that does not help then you could try soaking the print head in a shallow plate of hot distilled water. Soak the tip of the print head only in no more than 1/8th to 1/4 inch of water.

If the cleaning does not work then you might need to replace the print head.

I hope this helps.

Wes.
by unknown on Feb 24, 2004 at 9:40pm Add comment
Thanks to everyone who replied. While waiting for ur help I thought of putting back my old printhead (w/ colored printhead problem but black is OK). I kept the new printhead (w/ black print head problem but colored is Ok)in the foil pack and box. After several hours, before I try to soak the printhead in water (as suggested) I thought of trying the printhead again. To my amazement, it is printing black texts again. Don't know what made it work again....anyway BIG thanks to you.
by unknown on Feb 25, 2004 at 2:25am Add comment
hi....that was also my problem in my printer....can u tell pls.... what are the excatly procedure i will do to make it properly soaking the printer head....and how is the printer head looks like?....pls answer me...i will highly appreciated all replies and help....

thanks...

Jc...philippines - unknown
I have had a similiar problem, and have found that WINDEX soak as described above (instead of hot distilled water) seems to unclog the head in short order. It has to be WINDEX, (not Sparkle, Glass Plus, generic, etc). It must have to do with that Big Fat Greek Wedding movie thing where Windex fixes everything what ails you ;-)
by unknown on Feb 27, 2004 at 11:38am Add comment
My Canon bjc-4000 will not print anything. i replaced cable and ink. when i turn on printer the online light blinks continually. i am a novice when it comes to these things.
by unknown on Mar 3, 2004 at 5:56am Add comment
Have you tried re-installing the driver? Good Luck!
by unknown on Mar 3, 2004 at 6:14pm Add comment
I would say if an entire color just drops out like that- no intermittancy or lines -justs drops out, it's probably not the head.

It sounds like a bad connection (as in the gold contacts on the back). Never touch the contacts. Keep them clean with light window cleaner or alcohol and a clean cloth. Discoloration can be removed with an eraser, just don't get the rubber anywhere else, and clean it off again when done.
by unknown on Mar 4, 2004 at 8:04pm Add comment
If you intend to clean contacts with "alcohol", use ISOPROPYL alcohol (a real contact cleaner) and NOT rubbing alcohol (household stuff).

IF you do not have the correct alcohol, use distilled water and a lint free cloth. Why distilled? No minerals in it.
by Rudy on Mar 5, 2004 at 10:04am Add comment
Rubbing alcohol *is* isopropyl alcohol, Rudy.

Heh... I'm replying to a year old thread... feh.
- Anonymous
HMM, I have the opposite problem with my S600. Black prints fine... colors will not print.
I, too, have done several deep cleanings & then used a cleaning solution to clean the outside of the print head. Black and all 3 colors show up when I press a towel against the printer head (as recommended after cleaning, by the ink replacement company.)
I'll take any help you can offer me and/or Aileen above.
I have just begin to search online for a replacement print head.
by Dana on Mar 14, 2004 at 3:13pm Add comment
For contact cleaning you can use a bit of "color tv tuner cleaner" or "tv tuner cleaner". In fact I spray a bit of this on any connections--It improves contact quality dramatically and prevents intermittents.

Like when I install a HD, I spray it into the holes on the IDE cable connector. I also wipe edges of PCI cards with it. It just totally eliminates any connection problems later on.

Radio Shack used to, and may still carry it.
by unknown on Mar 29, 2004 at 11:20am Add comment
Lots of advice and hard to pick the good stuff.

Key Symptoms: 1 color, sudden disappearance.

1. Check contacts.

Keep all contacts clean. Radio shack or similar product is great - keep the fingers off all contacts.

2. Clean nozzles.

Isopropyl alchohol is best, water is better than nothing (if you are at the desperation point).

3. Read all forums and weigh up the ideas (I have been in the industry for 27 yrs and am now teaching at technical college. You can always pick up new ideas.)

You never know when someone will come up with an idea that fixes the problem. Try the most suggested fixes first and then try the others as desperation gets deeper and you have less to lose. Somethings may stuff it completely, but if it is not working, what's to lose.

by terry on Apr 30, 2004 at 9:37am Add comment
And then Russians wonder why they are considered rude - because they ARE rude! Happens all the time.
by Marina on May 26, 2004 at 9:41pm Add comment
And so what is that spose to mean you do not know anything!
by unknown on May 29, 2004 at 6:11pm Add comment
I don't understand why you have to say this...... "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS it does so so shove that in you face"...... we people are here to help eachother from our own experiences. We didn't ask you to read or be here in this forum post.

GOLDEN RULE: Do not do unto other what you don't want to be done unto you!

Marina! bwahahahhahah! lol (just joking)

God Bless!

by unknown on May 29, 2004 at 6:51pm Add comment
My BJC4000 online light keeps blinking no matter what I do, shy of hitting it with a huge hammer! HA!
The power light is on, online light blinking, and HQ light on. Open printer and cartridge is mid-way.

I have replaced cable & ink.

Any suggestions are really appreciated!

I need a printer, not a paperweight! : - )
by Cheryl on Jun 17, 2004 at 1:40pm Add comment
Hi! This is not an expert's advice but with my previous experiences with my printer you can try it too. (Lol) Do you often do 'deep cleaning" of your printhead? If yes, you might have an almost full waste ink tank. what you can do is uninstall your printer and reset the counter. (You can be guided how to do it in other forum topic "waste ink tank full". I fixed my printer through this site too. You can try uninstalling and installing the printer driver first, if it didn't work maybe you can try resetting the counter. Good Luck....REMINDER: This is not an expert's advice.(heheh)
by Aileen on Jun 17, 2004 at 7:50pm Add comment
I have A CANON bjc 1200 and it prints vary bad do you now howe I can git A DOWNLODE FOR MY PRINTER YOU NO THE DISK THING THAT CUMS WITH THE PRINTER i LOST MINE
by Gary on Jun 17, 2004 at 8:21pm Add comment
You can try www.driverguide.com. just register for free and then you will be guided on how to search for the driver of your printer. GOODLUCK!
by Aileen on Jun 18, 2004 at 2:02am Add comment
My printer stopped printing in black, and I resorted to colour printing.
Then I bought new black ink and print head.
Did all kinds of trouble shooting, went online to Cannon, tried everything.
Now my printer will do the test print, BUT will not print any text in any colour.
The printer is " online" and responds to print comand but no text will print out on the page from note pad or any program.
As I said, it was printing text in blue previously but now won't do that.
Could a faulty connection ( cord ) cause it to do this ? Or could it be a bios settings problem ?
I might be concerned about clogged nozzle except the blue will print graphic but not text so I don't think that is the problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me ?
by unknown on Jun 20, 2004 at 5:14am Add comment
Hi,
I saw your postings on fixyourprinter.com.
You are very helpful to people! Thank you!

Is the printer head the black plastic cartridge that holds your ink tanks? And if I am unable to print colors I may need to replace that plastic cartridge? I have a CANON s630 that will not print my colors and I have done all that was recommended on the website excpet buy a new black cartridge that holds my ink tanks because I am afraid I will be wasting my money if it still will not work for me :0)
by unknown on Jun 26, 2004 at 10:59am Add comment
Buying a new print head cartridge might be your last hope. If you can find a canon repair service center near you, you might want them check your printer first before buying. Uninstalling and installing again so far works for me everytime my printer mess up. (you can try it too) Good luck!
by Aileen on Jun 27, 2004 at 3:25am Add comment
Aileen - when you reset the waste tank error message, which reset code did you use. I have a canon s630, and would like to know whether the canon'S' series reset code works or not? Please let me know the details of the code that worked for you. Thanks David
by unknown on Jul 4, 2004 at 6:05am Add comment
FOR DAVID46: I found the reset code from this link

http://www.canonhelp.sharewith.us/Canon_S_series_generic_reset.htm

FOR JON DOH:
please check this link (it may help you)

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/canon/bj/s400.htm

(Cartridge OverHeat 7 x Orange 10 5200 Replace the BJ Cartridge(Printhead))

You can also try fixing/ changing the cables

If your printer is still under warranty, better have it for check up or replacement.

Good lucK!

I got my printer working but I always do "PRINT HEAD" cleaning almost everytime I print black texts. Coz if I don't, some black prints are missed.(surely that will cause 'waste ink tank full" error again soon for me) I also found out that ink tanks should always be refilled/ changed as soon as the printer says so. Coz "dry fire" printing may cause damage to the nozzles.

I found this site too for those with other models of canon printers:

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/canon/canonidx.htm
by Aileen on Jul 4, 2004 at 10:31pm Add comment
Your PORN SITE LINK IS REALLY JUST WRONG HOPE YOUR WHOLE FAMILY IS ON THAT SPAM> LINK - Anonymous
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/canon/bj/s400.htm (ERROR CODES)

consumer.usa.canon.com (FAQ for S600)

Re: Waste tank counter reset code for Canon printers.

The waste-ink counter for the BJ F900, F890, F700, F500, S900, S820, S750 and S520 are all reset in the same manner.

Turn off the printer.

Press and hold the RESUME button, then press and hold the POWER button.

Release the RESUME button, then press and release the RESUME button two more times in succession. (youre still holding the POWER button during this). The printer mechanics will move momentarily.

You are now in Service mode.

Pressing the RESUME key will select a function; for example, pressing RESUME 4 times will select the clear waste ink counter function. The lamp will alternate color with each key press.

1. service/factory test printout, including ink sensor check
2. EEPROM info printout
3. EEPROM initialization
4. Clear the waste-ink counter
5. Printer model setting. (more selections beyond this- leave this alone)

After selecting mode, press the POWER button to commit the change, and return to the top of the function selection menu. Pressing the POWER button again turns off the printer for a restart.

If you have a defective printer head, your power lamp may flash during the service mode key-in, and info printouts may not work. In this case, clearing the waste-ink counter may not fix your problem.

Hope this links help you. Good Luck!
by Aileen on Jul 4, 2004 at 10:49pm Add comment
Thanks very much for all the advice, I googled this site and tried the proposed solutions to get my S600 to work again. And it works again!

Thanks again,

Jerry - Anonymous
hi all,
I have this BJC 240ex which started printing with leaving gaps horizontally between lines and sometimes it appeared between a line of text - which made it unreadable at times.
I tried to fix it myself since its an old peice, and now when i assembled it back, the printer just starts and does no further activities.. it just keeps blinking the green light continuosly!
Any idea what could have gone wrong! This happens even before connecting it to the pc.. so i guess no drivers issue!
by unknown on Jul 9, 2004 at 3:05am Add comment
God bless u 2 and sorry but that I was mad so ta-ta 4 now marina.
by unknown on Jul 9, 2004 at 7:58pm Add comment
Hahaha! Mad at your printer, lols..i know the feeling!
by unknown on Jul 10, 2004 at 1:48am Add comment
hi guys.. just wanted to update you on my printer issue.. i found a solution to it.
the printer was blinking becoz it wasnt able to detect the cartridge.. on suggestion, i pressed the POWER key upto 6beeps at starting, and it did the trick! The printer is now working and there wasnt any problem with cartridge as well.
Thanks.
by unknown on Jul 10, 2004 at 2:12am Add comment
Como puedo recetear el bios de mi canon i250
by Anonymous on Jul 22, 2004 at 1:24pm Add comment
I was having trouble with my color inks not printing. I tried just about everything I read here. Alcohol, windex, hot water, reloading printer, pressing power button, etc., nothing worked then I went to this web site http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstufff.html
and tried the canned air as suggested. It was amazing. The printer prints beautifully. I got the canned air also called "Duster" from Lowe's for around $7.00. Anyone who is having these problems might want to check out the website mentioned above, alot of useful tips.

by Monica on Aug 17, 2004 at 8:38am Add comment
I have a canon S520 and when I try to print anything it sounds as if it's printing, but there's no ink on the paper. There are a lot of good suggestions here, but I'm not sure which one to go with. If I ruin my printer, i don't have the money to buy a new one. Please help me!
by Katherine on Aug 18, 2004 at 1:44pm Add comment
Not an expert's advice: maybe clogged nozzles that's why it cannot fire ink on the paper. Is your printer not used for some time? If yes, that might be the reason.
Go to Monica's (message above) referred website, it's very informative and you might find solution to your problem. GOOD LUCK!

What can you say friends?
by Aileen on Aug 18, 2004 at 7:42pm Add comment
i have a canon S 200sp and it has been giving me a service error 5200 is this something i can fix?
by needhelp on Mar 7, 2005 at 11:17pm Add comment
My printer wont print anything. When it is turned on it flashes orange 8 times, green once and keeps repeating this signal. Does anyone know what this means? And can I fix this problem?
by unknown on Apr 4, 2005 at 4:07pm Add comment
Janelle,
Hey there. did you ever get an answer to your printer problem? mine is doing 1:1 flashing green:amber lights, and an error 5200 has now come up in my 'puter.
help?!!
thanks, Elle - Anonymous
I ran about 6 deep cleanings in a row on my S600, per instructions on this page, and now it prints black again. Thanks.
by duh on Apr 8, 2005 at 10:37am Add comment
Just wanted to let everyone know that holding down the power button for a few counts forced the printer to acknowledge the new black cartridge. I hope this might help someone else!

--HJ
by unknown on Apr 9, 2005 at 2:48pm Add comment
I have a epson stylus color740 that is about 5 years old I have had it in storage for about 2 years. When I bought a new xp version computer I installed my printer and it will not print the black ink (Yes I bought new ink cartriges) only color ink I have tried cleaning already and nothing has changed please help before I go crazy.
by unknown on Apr 18, 2005 at 6:30pm Add comment
mandjo
try to clean your printer baka madumi ung loob..
by ryan esguerra on May 11, 2005 at 10:25pm Add comment
Canon S520: as seem to be a common problem with this printer, my black ink stopped working completely. I cleaned the head following quite a few of the procedures listed everywhere, using rubbing alcohol, water and even water with a little mild detergent, all of these for many hours, even overnight. When I blot the head with a tissue, I DO see the colored inks appear, and, sometimes, some black ink. However, it appears that the black ink is always considerably less than the other colors.

My question, does this head need further cleaning or replacement ? Could the problem be located somewhere else ?
Help is greatly appreciated !
by unknown on May 31, 2005 at 6:58am Add comment
It sounds like a lot of folks have similar problems to the one I'm having, but not exactly the same:

Like most here, my colors are fine, my black is not. I've done several test prints and deep cleans, but nothing happened. I've updated the printer driver, but nothing happened. I've replaced the black cartridge with a new cartridge, and nothing happened.

I've changed the quality of black I'm printing with (say, changing the font color to 75\% black instead of 100\% black in MS Word, MS Excel, and Adobe Illustrator), and it prints just fine.

It seems strange to me that a grayer black prints just fine, but pure black leaves nothing but white paper behind. Sadly, I can't do this for everything I print, because not all applications will let me change the black quality.
by Lars on Jun 8, 2005 at 6:37pm Add comment
Did anyone ever suggest a fix for your problem with Canon S750. I have the same problem...prints black in Word if I use 75\% Gray but cannot print 100\% black.

I am hesitant to replace print head if that is not the problem. - ToRun
When you print at 75\% black it actually uses a mix of the colours to get the dark gray colour. - Anonymous
I 've just hit the black won't print with a canon s630 immediately after a thorough cleaning session with cleaning cartridges by printing a permafix purge colour chart to purge the nozzles, so it shouldn't be full drain tanks or anything like that. Does seem to be a communications problem or failure in the print head or motherboard. Now even with the cleaning cart reinserted, there is no sign of cleaner on the paper.

Will try some of the suggestions, but I'm convinced it's not blocked nozzles

Any more suggestions anyone?

Lars, toning down the 'black' might mean that you're using a mix colours and no black ink and that's why it seems to work
by unknown on Jul 18, 2005 at 11:17am Add comment
After failing to pick up any advice anywhere, I chanced it and fitted a new print head - problem solved, prints as if new on all colours, the head cost only £55 from www.pc-ink.co.uk - Anonymous
My Canon S520 tells me that the three color cartridges are all out
of ink, but then somehow manages to print in blue. Usually switching
back and forth from grayscale printing "fixes" the problem, but not
tonight. Now, it either prints in blue, or just runs the page
through, making a printing noise (though not the extensive amount
one would expect with the document I'm attempting to print), and
getting nothing on the paper.

I'll try head cleaning, but it seems as if the problem is in some
printer setting or default that I haven't figured out yet.

Any ideas?
by unknown on Jul 18, 2005 at 7:09pm Add comment
Well... i've got a similar problem. Test pages will print Black, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow.. but when it comes to images or text I get no black. The ink IS running through the print head and so it isn't a clog... Also when printing a head alignment page I get cyan, magenta and black but NO yellow.

I'm stumped...

All the cartrages are full and the head seems to be clear... so what's the problem?
by unknown on Jul 21, 2005 at 11:16am Add comment
I have an IP3000 that would not print black text. Then I tried putting my paper source to photo paper and VOILA! Was ready to buy new printer but now I'm saved. - Anonymous
My printer started to become unreliable shortly after purchase. Have only used it from new for about a month.

After switched on, the green light flashes about 8 times while the printer initialises. Normally, the flashing stops and a steady green light shows that the printer is ready.

My printer after initialisation goes into repeating cycles of 5 double flashes, green to orange, over and over. Will not print.

Canon help suggests that this fault may indicate some fouling of the electrical contacts at the print head. Removed print head. No sign of dirt on the contacts.

If you try to print it comes up with various error messages - such as the print head is obstructed (which it is not) or the paper path is obstructed (which it is not).

Looks like some sort of hardware fault.
by unknown on Jul 21, 2005 at 6:51pm Add comment
Printer Cannon S 400 Problem: Black ink prints OK for about the first four lines but that is all. I have "deep cleaned"and done every thing suggested by Cannon mentiond in trouble shooting
as well as inserting NEW black ink tanks but no luck. If I print in colors I have no problem. Can you help me ?

many thanks for your time,
Frank Florance
Ocala, Fl. 34481
by unknown on Jul 31, 2005 at 10:09am Add comment
a handy hint for Canon S520 "black ink not printing, everything else seems normal" ppl - change the Media Type under Printing Preferences from Plain Paper to Photo Paper Pro. don't know why this works but it works for mine. guess you could also try this for other Canons.
p.s. my machine is a windows XP svc pack 2 install
by unknown on Aug 4, 2005 at 6:16pm Add comment
it worked fine for my canon S500....I set it on photo paper. I am on win xp too

Thank you - rene47
You da man. Your solution works for me on XP Pro with SP2. This is strange. I'm sure my son was printing homework papers and all of a sudden it quit working on the plain paper setting--He does not mess around with the settings and I'm sure I have printed using the plain paper setting many times in the past. Thanks for your help because I was about to give up. - Anonymous
grover, u r a star! i had tried everything since changing my computer, set paper to photo pro (and greyed the ink a bit), hey presto it worked! thanks a lot, now if i can just get my blue yonder connectivity sorted - Anonymous
WOW! i've got an MP360 and have tried everything to get the black ink to print. i changed it to photo paper and it worked! thanks! - Anonymous
Your solution 'change the Media Type....to Photo Paper Pro' worked just great on a S520...thanks. - unknown
I might just buy a new print head.. i think it's suffered some sort of hardware failure
by Anonymous on Aug 5, 2005 at 9:28am Add comment

it worked fine for my canon S500....I set it on photo paper. I am on win xp too

Thank you
by rene47 on Aug 18, 2005 at 2:32pm Add comment
I just trued it in win98 and it work there too
by rene47 on Aug 18, 2005 at 4:54pm Add comment
Rubbing alcohol has a lot of water in it.

Some people recommend 98\% Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning things.

If it's water based ink, then clean it with water!!!

If you're not sure find an old print and get it wet, if the ink runs it's water based.

Never use alcohol on rollers, unless specifically instructed to do so, alcohol dries things up, and dry rubber does NOT grip very well.

At least I'm not responding to a year old thread.
by Stephen on Sep 3, 2005 at 8:48pm Add comment
Hmm also by selecting photo paper it may be only using the colours to print all shades, including black.
by Anonymous on Sep 7, 2005 at 1:50pm Add comment
Prints black on test page perfectly. Alignment is great, no problems but will not correctly print anything that has black text from Word, the internet, any document, etc. All other colors print perfectly. Black printing on anything other than the 'test' page is garbled, skips entire lines, prints half lines top or bottom.

Any Ideas???
by Anonymous on Sep 12, 2005 at 2:39pm Add comment
I have a canon pixma iP 1500 and when I try to print anything it sounds as if it's printing, but there's no ink on the paper.What should i do.
by Adrienned901 on Oct 1, 2005 at 2:50pm Add comment
I had the same problems, no black ink rather suddenly. I tried washing the print head out with hot water. I was successful to an extent. But now the printing is sporatic. Thanks for the advice.
by Anonymous on Oct 7, 2005 at 3:47pm Add comment
Printer was printing fine now all of a sudden I have seven flashing orange lights or a print head error. I have tried reseating the print head, warm water. What next?
by Nix on Nov 1, 2005 at 3:33pm Add comment
I recently expierenced a default with the full ink tank error and after a short research I found that on the inside on the right side you will see two sponges in a tray and behind it several clear plastic wipers that wipe the surface of the ink head.

It takes quite a few q-tips though you will need to wipe the plastic wipers til all the ink is removed and the wipers are clear see-thru and also using the q-tips keep wiping the surfaces of the sponges until no more is absorbed . take the print head out and wipe the bottom off with alcohol until clean. Once these areas are cleaned of all ink that can be absorbed by the q-tips replace the print head and make sure inks are full.

Now you will have to use several combinations by holding down the power on button while you hit the reset button two to three times. I found I had to mess with this several times before the printer would reset. Then go thru the maintnance and do the nozzle check etc.

I had a very large amount of ink I had to remove from the dump tank and wipers.

This sure beats sending the printer off and having someone do it for quite a few dollars and buying a new print head etc.
Could save aprox. 50 to 100 dollars by doing it yourself. - Anonymous
Printer was printing fine now all of a sudden I have seven flashing orange lights or a print head error. I have tried reseating the print head, warm water. What next?
by Nix on Nov 1, 2005 at 3:37pm Add comment
"Prints black on test page perfectly. Alignment is great, no problems but will not correctly print anything that has black text from Word, the internet, any document, etc. All other colors print perfectly. Black printing on anything other than the 'test' page is garbled, skips entire lines, prints half lines top or bottom.

Any Ideas???"

Deleted driver, downloaded new driver and re-installed. Works perfectly now!
by unknown on Nov 1, 2005 at 5:17pm Add comment
Don't know if anyone ever responded but I fixed/cured my problem by uninstalling the driver, downloading another, and re-installing it. Printer works perfectly now!
by Anonymous on Nov 1, 2005 at 5:21pm Add comment
I used my Shark Steam Cleaner to clean the print head after both soaking in water and soaking in alcohol didn't work. It's printing great now.
by Anonymous on Nov 24, 2005 at 9:31am Add comment
I was using my Canon S750 and LOVED it. One day it wouldn't print -- Flashing Error Lights indicated: Printhead Error. I had mistakenly installed one ink cartridge with the peel-off strip still on it. I removed the plastic strip and reinstalled the ink cartridge. I still get the Printhead Error message. I soaked the printhead -- same error. It was so strange. The printer worked perfectly when I went to bed, and NOTHING works when I work up. Nothing prints. Is there ANYTHING else I can try. I hate to just throw it away. A printhead is so expensive for a "maybe" repair.
by docnpat on Jan 23, 2006 at 5:24pm Add comment
My canon printer was not printing black in at all, and i read some of your comments and sat the printhead in alcohol for about 1 hour and nothing happened. Then I let it soaked for about 6 hours and that was the trick. Just like new. Just add about a quarter inch of alcohol in a cup or something and let it sit.
by unknown on Jan 23, 2006 at 9:09pm Add comment
hi, just read your solution. What is the print head cartridge?? is it the actual cartridge or the cartridge holder??? Please reply [email protected] - Anonymous
I'll sure try it. Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.
by docnpat on Jan 23, 2006 at 9:16pm Add comment
Hi there, i use a Pixma 3000 and i had a similar problem to many above.

I put in a new black cartridge and suddenly no black printing!

However i had let it run a while after it had warned me that the black ink cartridge was empty. After trying some of the various cleaning techniques described above, in desperation i hit the new black ink cartridge on the table a few times and managed to produce a few drops of ink hanging from it. I then placed it back into the nozzle assembly and it worked fine. I assume i had simply let the assembly run dry of ink and it just wasnt flowing from the new cartridge. I hope that helps.

By the way, hitting something really does make you feel better!
by unknown on Jan 24, 2006 at 9:13am Add comment

what cheap solutions are there and what needs cleaning cartridge or cardridge holder???????? please reply - Anonymous
All of a sudden, out of nowhere...Canon S750: paper jams. The right side of the paper advances but the left side does not. When I remove the paper, there is an "arc" of a fold about 1/2" from the bottom left, extending toward the middle for about 2 1/2". I assume this catches on something, but what? Any ideas? Thanks.
by unknown on Jan 24, 2006 at 3:37pm Add comment
hi i have canon ip1500 printer, and i usualy use refill ink injected to it's inktank(bcl24),thers' no problem before, but now everytime i print some image, some color doesn't print(it seem blue color)just printed half of page and then it doesn't printed the specific color. i don't know what's wrong. can anyone help me....
by unknown on Jan 25, 2006 at 3:59am Add comment
my printer is canon S200Spx ..and apparently on its status display its displaying that the both catrigde has full and have colors.....

but someh how when printing....nothings printed when i print an all black text...nothing is printed.....

while printing a colored text only red color will appear or will printed on the paper.

pls help me...

pls nmn po....

la n me money to buy a new one...plssss

pls mga tol....

by unknown on Jan 30, 2006 at 12:16am Add comment
http://alpha02u.c-wss.com

check out that page, canon explains in their FAQ why you see color when you try to print black/white or grascale
by elliot on Feb 8, 2006 at 10:04am Add comment
Ian,
I have got no joy yet. Canon said take it to the service agent - 1 hour drive away during business hours! I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they sent it away. It is nearly 2 weeks and I haven't got it back yet. Fortunately the shop lent me a PIXMA iP1000 so I could get on with my work. Good job I don't need to scan anything at the moment.

Regards
Peter
by Anonymous on Feb 8, 2006 at 12:28pm Add comment
Yes Jeannie is right, I tried reinstalling the driver, cleaning the print head, deep cleaning, etc. Nothing worked but setting it to PHOTO PRINT PRO instead of plain paper makes it work. I don't understand why but I don't care. Thank you for the great idea
by unknown on Feb 21, 2006 at 12:06am Add comment
it happens to some documents.
by Iyke on Mar 13, 2006 at 4:46am Add comment
what is to be done
by Iyke on Mar 14, 2006 at 9:19am Add comment
A new one for you guys,

My printer does not print black and does not even try. I have to change my text to blue and print in grey scale and I have a perfect black page. Very unpractical...

I have tryed to reinstall the drivers (new ones downloaded from Canon) but no change. I have a feeling it happened when some new software I installed came with Adobe Acrobat 7.0 ? No sure though.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks, Patrick.
by unknown on Mar 27, 2006 at 2:24am Add comment
Hi.. my printer was working fine until today when i turn the printer on it doesnt make a connection sound but it makes this other sound as if nothing is connected and ive tried 3 cables.... NOTHING please help someone...
by unknown on Apr 12, 2006 at 7:07am Add comment
Hi guys:

I'm having the same problem. I just replaced the black ink, and now nothing prints. What does the printer head look like? I'm trying to figure it out, but I've since lost the CD that goes with the printer..... Could it be something else besides the printer head?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
by gab on Apr 14, 2006 at 10:23pm Add comment
I'm no Canon guy but there's postings on the web that allude to the following error codes.

I didn't know there was a waste tank that needed emptying. Perhaps it's worth seeing if that needs to be cleaned out with cotton swabs and water or rubbing alcohol (note, that might wreck the plastic or rubber waste bin). Dunno.

Canon Error Codes
-----------------
Error Condition Indicator BEEPS Error

Code Possible Solution

Paper Feed/Delivery Orange 2 Remove any paper jammed

Paper Jam Orange 3 Remove any paper jammed

Ink Out Orange 4 Add Ink

BJ Cartridge Mismatch Orange 5 Re-install cartridge or replace it. See notes below for correct positions

NO BJ Cartridge Orange 6 Re-install cartridge or replace it

BJ Cartridge Error Orange 7 Re-install cartridge or replace it

Waste Full warning Orange 8 Waste is almost full, needs service very soon

Auto Head Adjustment Error Orange 9 Is there Black and Cyan ink ?

AutoAlignment requires Black and Cyan inks.

ROM Error 1 x Orange 10 Try unplugging the printer for 30 seconds, if not requires service.

RAM Error 2 x Orange 10 Try unplugging the printer for 30 seconds, if not requires service.

EEPROM 3 x Orange 10 6800 Try unplugging the printer for 30 seconds, if not requires service.

Home Position 4 x Orange 10 5100 Make sure nothing is blocking the cartridge movement, if not requires service.

Temperature Sensor 5 x Orange 10 5400 Try unplugging the printer for 30 seconds, if not requires service.

Waste Full 6 x Orange 10 5B00 Needs Service

Cartridge OverHeat 7 x Orange 10 5200 Replace the BJ Cartridge(Printhead)

Cartridge Overheat 8 x Orange 10 5200 Replace the BJ Cartridge(Printhead)

Cartridge Displaced 9 x Orange 10 5600 Replace the BJ Cartridge(Printhead) or reinstall

None None 5910 Needs Service
None None 5C00 Needs Service

Notes - BJ Cartridge Mismatch

This error can be caused by installing the BJ Cartridges (Printheads) in the wrong position in the printer. The Correct combination are as follows

Left Holder Right Holder
BC-30 BC-31
BC-32 BC-31

Insure the Cartridge lock levers are down. Reinstall both Cartridges.

Waste Error Reset

1: Power off printer
2: Hold Resume button then press and hold POWER, the beeper will sound once.
3: Hold POWER and release RESUME
4: Press RESUME twice
5: When the indicator lights steady, press RESUME three(3) times. The indicator should be orange.
6: Press Power to set data
by Anonymous on Apr 16, 2006 at 8:50am Add comment
Help! I am ready to throw this thing in the river! I have the "9 beep error" which translates to a print head alignment failure. But this started only after I tried to print a document and was notified (!) that the ink levels were low. So, I took out the (less than a month old) cartridge and put in a new Canon black ink tank, re-installed the cartridge and am unable to print anything in black. I have tried everything suggested on this site to no avail.....washing, soaking, cleaning, deep cleaning, nozzle check, manual printhead alignment, alcohol, windex, and mineral water. NOTHING is stopping this beast from beeping at me nine times! I have unplugged it and let it alone for a couple of days....like I was expecting it to "behave" after that. This, as silly as it seems, came from desperation! I have had this printer for about 6 years and have never had any problems with it. I know I should be grateful, but I'm honked. Both cartridges/printheads have been replaced within the last 6 months and with the cost of those I could have bought a couple of brand new printers! So, I am open to any suggestions or help anyone may have to offer! Thanks so much!
by CheriCCP on Apr 26, 2006 at 12:29pm Add comment
guys, unplug your printer for 30 seconds and plug in again, it works!!!
by Anonymous on May 2, 2006 at 8:14pm Add comment
MP110. error code 5200...
Unplugged it for 30sec. It really works!
Thanks guys! - Anonymous
Thanks a million - I read the entire forum until I got to you and it actually worked - thanks for sharing it with us. - Anonymous
I recently expierenced a default with the full ink tank error and after a short research I found that on the inside on the right side you will see two sponges in a tray and behind it several clear plastic wipers that wipe the surface of the ink head.

It takes quite a few q-tips though you will need to wipe the plastic wipers til all the ink is removed and the wipers are clear see-thru and also using the q-tips keep wiping the surfaces of the sponges until no more is absorbed . take the print head out and wipe the bottom off with alcohol until clean. Once these areas are cleaned of all ink that can be absorbed by the q-tips replace the print head and make sure inks are full.

Now you will have to use several combinations by holding down the power on button while you hit the reset button two to three times. I found I had to mess with this several times before the printer would reset. Then go thru the maintnance and do the nozzle check etc.

I had a very large amount of ink I had to remove from the dump tank and wipers.

This sure beats sending the printer off and having someone do it for quite a few dollars and buying a new print head etc.
Could save aprox. 50 to 100 dollars by doing it yourself.
by Anonymous on May 4, 2006 at 8:00am Add comment
Had this problem. In a document click File - Print - Properties - Maintenance - Deep Cleansing. When its done cleansing turn it off, unplug, then plug back in and turn back on. It worked for me!
by unknown on May 9, 2006 at 11:41am Add comment
My black ink ran out while in the middle of copying some important information. I need to copy the information asap, and I cannot nip out to get more ink. Is there any way I can copy in colour, even though what I am copying is black i.e change the default printing colour?
by unknown on May 15, 2006 at 3:52am Add comment

soak ur cateridge head in some methylated spirits (which u can buy from any hardware shop) for about an hour or two, replace it and the black should print fine.

leela
by leela on Jun 21, 2006 at 7:18am Add comment
so why does the change to photo pro make it print and it won't even think about it other wise/ My print quality was shocking on the normal setting. Just tyhe balck ink though. I'm gettin P***ed off!
by unknown on Jun 29, 2006 at 1:42pm Add comment
Canon MP110
Error code 5B00
Error message "Waste ink absorber is full"
How shall I do, please ?
by unknown on Jul 30, 2006 at 10:39pm Add comment
Try setting paper to photo paper.
by Anonymous on Aug 1, 2006 at 6:59pm Add comment
I have a Canon PIXMA ip1500, and it worked great until today when I replaced the black ink cartridge. Then, when I turned it on, the head moved a little then made a click sound, and there was a brief whirring sound from some motor. Then it was quiet, and it flashed Orange 3 times.

When I tried to print, it immediatly said :

"Service error 6000.
Cancel printing and turn the printer off and then back on.
If this doesn't clear the error, see the printer manual for more detail."

I did this about 5 times, and it didnt help. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks!
by unknown on Aug 2, 2006 at 6:19pm Add comment
I have exactly the same problem. I have tried removing cartridges and putting back new ones as it sounded as if something is blocked. But this has not helped. Also looked in the print manual but could find nothing. - Anonymous
I have a problem whith my printer Canon i350
Show the Service error 5600
I need HELP
by unknown on Oct 12, 2006 at 11:27pm Add comment
just for anyone interested, my canon pixma 3000 didnt print black either, itd print 75\% gray and all others fine but not black. changing the media type in printer properties from plain paper to photo paper pro does work and several printers not just the s520 and 40
by unknown on Nov 15, 2006 at 12:29am Add comment
I had the same check 5200 problemo. I followed your advice and it worked. thanx a lot! It was better than any store could tell me.

-A greatful father
by unknown on Jan 19, 2007 at 10:02pm Add comment
I had the same check 5200 problemo. I followed your advice and it worked. thanx a lot! It was better than any store could tell me.

-A greatful father
by unknown on Jan 19, 2007 at 10:05pm Add comment