Brian

asked Jan 27, 2004 at 1:47pm
Epson Epson Stylus Photo 820

Epson Stylus Photo 820

I replaced both ink cartridges but only the color one get recognized. I have tried putting the old one back in but it says it needs to be replaced. Also the middle red light stays on now before it used to blink. I have tried turning it off but it still won't print. I am running Mac OS 10.2.8. Any ideas?

It sounds like you have a defective black ink cartridge. If you have access to a P.C. you could try the SSC service utility and reset the black ink cartridge but the SSC service utility will not work on your MAC. Just incase you have access to a P.C. the link for the SSC service utility is here http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

Wes.
by unknown on Jan 27, 2004 at 4:21pm Add comment
Brian: Its of course possible that your black cartridge is defective/bad, or not being recognized correctly, especially if its a Non-Epson cartridge. Its also possible that your printer may have an actual Service Error Condition, rather than a cartridge problem/error. I need to know if the Power Light/Led is on SOLID or BLINKING and if the Error Light is on SOLID or BLINKING...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jan 27, 2004 at 5:50pm Add comment
The light is a solid red.
by Brian on Jan 27, 2004 at 7:39pm Add comment
Brian: You did not actually say for sure, but I'm assuming that you mean that the Power Light is on SOLID and the Ink Light is also still on SOLID...If so, then that would indicate three possible Service Error Conditions: #1 a Paper Jam Error, #2 a Paper Out Error & #3 no Ink Cartridge installed error. I'm reasonably sure that you have the ink cartridges installed and paper installed, so that would leave a possible paper jam error. Its still possible that you have an actual bad ink cartridge, or that your printer does not recognize the cartridge that is installed. Have you recently had to remove a bad paper jam, that you may have had to forcefully yank out of the printer, especially towards the rear of the printer, in a backwards direction? If so, its possible that some damage may have been done to the Paper Jam Sensor, so that it thinks there is a constant jam condition...If both lights are on SOLID and you have not had any bad jams [prior to the trouble you are now having], then I would guess that you may have an actual cartridge problem, but no way to really know for sure...You may need to try and locate a Service Manual on-line, that you can purchase and download for in-depth troubleshooting and possible disassembly and servicing: HERE'S SOME INFORMATION POSTED FROM OTHER PEOPLE, THAT MAY HELP YOU TRY TO LOCATE A SERVICE MANUAL: Master 10/05/2002 03:22:56 Re: Epson stylus adjustment programs. You can find any service manual or service adjustment program for EPSON inkjet printers at www.otd.com.ua. ...OR... Eva 2/14/2003 23:31:11 Re: Epson Color Stylus Error Codes. See http://www.2MANUALS.COM - they have all service manuals and service programs. Due to them I fixed the same error on me C20! They are friendly!...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jan 28, 2004 at 11:11am Add comment
The printer will not stop printing lines of ????
I checked and there is nothing in que on either computer (we have networked via wireless print server) I unplugged the power and connecting to the print server for 1 minute then plugged them back in and it will not stop printing lines of ????.

Any sugestions

Dave Jackson
[email protected]
by Anonymous on Feb 12, 2004 at 7:38pm Add comment
Try connecting the printer directly to the computer. If it prints fine that way then the problem would be with the print server. Re check the print server configurartion also disconnect any cordless phones or orher wireless devices just elminate any radio frequency conflicts.

Wes.
by unknown on Feb 12, 2004 at 9:41pm Add comment
Anonymous...IF BY CHANCE YOU ARE SPEAKING OF "JIBBERISH": When a printer prints "jibberish" [random symbols and characters], or has communication problems, its usually caused by: #1 a bad parallel printer cable [old cable/poor quality cable: not bi-directional printer cable, or not IEEE-1284 rated cable. Inexpensive parallel cables are not usually shielded enough and are not always bi-directional]...TECH NOTE: If you are using a USB CABLE, you will usually you have less communication problems caused by a bad or corrupted USB cable, but its possible..#2 bad printer drivers: printer drivers are usually available online from EPSON and HP at no charge; remove/de-install your old printer drivers and then go online and download the newest drivers available for your printer. If you use your old CD that came with your printer, then your not getting the latest changes/updates available free from Epson or HP. There are more steps involved with correctly installing USB DRIVERS and if not done correctly can cause additional problems. Epson has in-depth information available that I can post if you let me know thru this "printer repair site"...#3 It's possible that the actual SOFTWARE you are using to do a print job from, may be causing problems [Word, Office, Excel, etc]. You can try using a different software to print from and see if your problem goes away. If it does, then you may need to have your software removed and reinstalled. It's possible that something may have corrupted it and is causing problems...#4 Its possible that internal settings on your PC may be not set correctly, but that would normally require a PC trained person to check your system and make changes [BIOS settings]...#5 Its also possible that a VIRUS can cause problems with printers. Even if you have a virus protection program installed on your PC, it has to be updated regularly to protect against possible new, or modified virus'...#6 If new drivers [free] & a new good quality printer cable [fairly inexpensive], do not cure your problem, then its probably time to have your PC/System checked for possible problems. The other thing you can try is to actually connect your printer to a different PC/System, then load the correct DRIVERS and connect your printer cable and run some print jobs. If your printer, cable and drivers work ok on a different PC/System, then you pretty much know the problem is normally in your PC/System...#7 Sometimes the Logic Board, built onto/into the printers "Main PCB/Board", just goes bad, but not very often. As a new PCB costs quite a bit, its better to put that money into a new printer, as the prices have come down so much in the last couple of years...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Feb 13, 2004 at 8:59am Add comment
I consistently receive horizontal lines across any paper I print out. I have done a nozzle check and then cleaned the heads. Is there anything else I can do? And what is causing this problem? Thanks!
by Janet on Feb 15, 2004 at 9:43pm Add comment
Janet: Are those horizontal lines, actually solid lines across the page, or more like small streaks or dashes? Are those solid lines or streaks/dashes black lines, colored lines or more like white lines/void lines? ...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Feb 16, 2004 at 9:55am Add comment
I have a similar problem to this however they are solid horizontal lines which I think the printer is actually printing on top of everything else. There is a set of four parallel horizontal black lines printed over anything I print. What is the problem? - Anonymous
Denny: Those streaks are more like dashed black lines that run all the way across the paper. Sorry for not being more specific. Thanks!
by Janet on Feb 16, 2004 at 10:59am Add comment
Janet: In that case, your problem is probably a build-up of dust, dirt, lint and hair that sticks to the wet ink on the bottom side and backside areas of the Printhead Assembly. That build-up acts like a small paint brush and as it hangs down. It can actually drag across the wet ink on the paper, causing those small streaks or black lines on the paper as the printhead assembly is moving back-n-forth. Once those two areas are thoughly cleaned, the problem will normally go away. Check for a couple of e-mails from me that should help in that area...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Feb 16, 2004 at 12:24pm Add comment
I have a problem similar to Brian's:
My printer stopped printing black, though it still had ink. Cleaning the heads sometimes helped, but eventually stopped working. After changing the cartridge, the black printed just fine for a few days and then the same problems began again.

Only the green light is on (solid) and the paper is loaded properly, but several passes of head cleaning still leaves me with no black.
by unknown on Feb 24, 2004 at 3:52pm Add comment
If the regular print head cleaning does not help you can try the print head cleaning kit from this site http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kea0.html and if you want to see what is involved in cleaning the print head using the kit this link will help http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/printhead.html If you would like to find out one reason why the print head clogged after changing the ink cartridge read this link http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/why.html if you want to really test the print output try printing the page from this link http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/color.html (Note the epsonhelp links may not be available depending on where you live)

I hope this helps you out.

Wes.
by unknown on Feb 24, 2004 at 5:01pm Add comment
The Epson Printer 820 .The red and green lights stay on all the time.I cannot do a paper .test because nothing changes. Both cartridges are pretty new.Many Thanks-Opal
by unknown on Mar 14, 2004 at 6:54pm Add comment
Depending on the lights it sounds like a fatal error. Which could be caused by several things. Like the carriage motor binding or failing, The main board failing or a sensor problem just to name a few.

Let us know what lights are on and you might get a more complete answer.

I hope this helps.

Wes.

by unknown on Mar 15, 2004 at 1:53am Add comment
Opal...Just to let you know: If both Lights/Leds are on SOLID, that can indicate problems in several areas. The most common problem is a "Paper Jam Error" or "Paper Out Error" and usually involves the Home Position/Paper End Sensor. A common problem when you get a constant jam condition, or paper won't feed in correctly after a bad jam was removed, or even when the printer or your computer thinks that the paper has not been correctly loaded: If you have recently had a bad paper jam that you had to forcefully yank out of your printer, especially towards the rear of the printer, in the backwards direction, then its possible that a part was unhooked/unseated, or even damaged. When paper is pulled to the rear/backwards with force, it usually unseats the arm on the "Paper Jam Sensor Assy", resulting in a constant jam condition. Normally, as paper passes thru the printer, it causes a black plastic arm [with a spring attached] to be pushed forward out of the "Paper Jam Sensor". As the trail edge of the paper leaves the plastic arm, the spring causes the plastic arm to be pulled back into its normal position [into that sensor assembly]. When the arm does not correctly return, the sensor is not activated and the printer thinks there is a paper jam [even though you can not see any paper in the paper path], or does not correctly feed-in the paper, because the sensor is not correctly actuated. Of course I have no way to really know whats wrong with your printer, or even if this is your problem but you have to start some place and I've seen this happen many times. Because of the disassembly and troubleshooting involved, you will find it easier to do with a Service Manual for reference. Let me know if you remember having to remove a bad paper jam that may have caused your problem and I'll send you some additional information. Even with the additional information, the troubleshooting involved, requires some disassembly that is easier done using a Service Manual for reference. I have not looked, but you can normally find most Service Manuals and or Service Adjustment Programs/Resets for EPSON Inkjet Printers, at www.2manuals.com (most Service Manuals can usually be downloaded for around $10 /- ) [OR] www.otd.com.ua. ...Another common cause of the same error condition [both lights on solid], is " No Ink Cartridge Installed/Defective Ink Cartridge Installed", or that the "Installed Ink Cartridge Cannot Be Recognized/Incorrectly Installed Ink Cartridge". This usually happens when you install a Non-Epson Ink Cartridge [Generic, Third-Party or Remanufactored Ink Cartridge], that your printer cannot properly recognize. Sometimes the Electrical Chip on a Non-Epson Ink Cartridge, is not recognized by the printer...A "General Error" or "Fatal Error" on a "820" model, is normally identified because the Power Light is OFF and the Error Light is ON SOLID...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Mar 15, 2004 at 12:35pm Add comment
i lost the install disk for my epson photo 820 printerr. can any one help me??????
by unknown on Mar 19, 2004 at 1:08pm Add comment
You can download the drivers, owners manual and so on from here www.epson.com Just follow the prompts.

I hope this helps.

Wes.
by unknown on Mar 19, 2004 at 1:12pm Add comment
Roy: Simply click-on the following Epson web-site link and read the instructions and follow the prompts: " www.epson.com "...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Mar 19, 2004 at 1:15pm Add comment
I received a Epson Stylus Photo 820 for Christmas,2003. We could not get it to work with a usb cable,so we used a parallel cable. It was working fine,ran out of ink and I put in new cartridges. It printed, but did not show ink levels like before. Then it would not print, would show "communication error" I have un-installed,re-installed,unconnected, re-connected, and it still will not print. Communication error! HELP PLEASE.
by unknown on Mar 23, 2004 at 1:23pm Add comment
I received a Epson Stylus Photo 820 for Christmas,2003. We could not get it to work with a usb cable,so we used a parallel cable. It was working fine,ran out of ink and I put in new cartridges. It printed, but did not show ink levels like before. Then it would not print, would show "communication error" I have un-installed,re-installed,unconnected, re-connected, and it still will not print. Communication error! HELP PLEASE.
by unknown on Mar 23, 2004 at 1:46pm Add comment
BeeJay: On most Epson Printers you can usually run an "Internal Epson Self-Test Page" to determine whether a problem comes from the printer itself or possibly from your Computer System. As not all Epson Printers are always the same, you should refer to your User's Manual/Owners Manual for the correct procedure on how to run your printers Self-Test Page. If available, then I would recommend that you try running your printer as a Stand Alone Printer, not connected to a Computer System. Unhook the printer cable from the back of the printer, with the power cord still plugged in to the wall and paper loaded normally. Turn the printer off for 10 seconds or so, to clear out any remaining DATA or Information that may still have been in the printers system, from when the Computer was previously connected. Now reach over and turn the printer on as normal. The printer should come on and go to a normal Ready Condition, with no Error Lights on. If you get an Error Light on, then you know you have a problem in your printer. If there are no Error Lights on, then you want to run your printers "Internal Epson Self-Test Page", directly from the printer itself. Normally [on most models] you simply reach over and hold-in on the Paper Button, while you reach over and turn the Power Button back on, as normal. Continue to hold in on the paper button for about 3 to 5 seconds, but release the power button after turning your printer on. Release the paper button once you can hear and see the printer starting to initialize and start to pull-in a piece of paper. The printer will print out an Internal Epson Self-Test Copy, which will also have a "Nozzle Test" on it. If everything is working correctly in the printers Paper Feed Assembly, Carriage Assembly/Cartridge Assembly and the Printhead Assembly, then the self-test copy should be printed out and correctly fed thru the printer. If the self-test page prints out correctly, then usually your printer is working normally. This does not mean your printer may not be dirty, or have another service related problem, or even bad cartridges. It just means the printer is basically working normally as far as the internal tests go. If your printer is working ok, then your problem could be in your Computer System/PC: bad drivers, bad printer cable, bad software, incorrect internal PC settings, possible hardware problems [parts problems], etc. I'm sorry, but I don't really work on Computer Systems/PC's, so I can't help you with those type problems. Usually, most communication errors are caused by corrupted Printer Drivers [which it sounds like you already un-installed and re-installed], or a failing Printer Cable. You may want to buy a new printer cable or borrow one from a friend to use and test on your printer. If neither of those two common suggestions help, then you may need to get help from a computer technician, as your problem is probably in your computer settings. Remember that this is actually a Printer Repair Site and you may need help from a Computer Technician, rather than a Printer Technician. About the only other thing you could try, is to actually connect your printer to a different Computer System [like a friends]. Load Printer Drivers, connect your Printer Cable and try running a few test copies from the second Computer System. If your printer prints out ok, then you can assume that the problem is in your Computer System. If the same problem happens on a different Computer System, then at least you would know that its probably a problem in your printer...If the self-test does not print out normally, then you can assume the problem is in your printer. Usually that would be a problem in the "Logic Board/Main Board Assembly" and unfortunatly, that is not normally economical to replace. You can usually buy a new printer cheaper, then having your old printer repaired...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Mar 23, 2004 at 1:54pm Add comment
BeeJay...Follow-up to first reply: Your printer is covered by a one year warranty from the date of purchase. If the printer turns out to be the problem [you cannot actually run the Self-Test Copy], the warranty may apply if you can provide "Proof Of Purchase". Check with the person that gave you the printer for xmas and see if they still have the origional receipt or sales invoice. You would need that to verify the purchase date [Proof Of Purchase], for a possible Warranty Claim thru Epson Company. If you can get that receipt or invoice, then you can call the "Epson Customer Relations Department", at 1-562-276-1311 and they can file a warranty claim for you. Epson will normally send you a replacement printer, in exchange for your defective printer, thru the mail or a delivery service...Again, Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Mar 23, 2004 at 2:10pm Add comment
I have a similar problem to Brian's. I replaced the color cartridge and my computer still tells me there's no ink in it. The power light and the red light are both on solid.

How do you clean the low-ink sensor?

Thanks,
Dave Beemon
by unknown on May 4, 2004 at 9:10am Add comment
Ultrabop: There is no actual low ink sensor, theres just an "Internal Ink Counter" thats built into the Main Board Assembly [PCB], that keeps track of the ink levels, thru readings taken off the Electrical Chip thats mounted on the actual ink cartridge. Its possible that you might have an actual Hardware/Parts Failure, or even a possible bad ink cartridge. First simply try cleaning the electrical contacts carefully and gently, with Distilled Water on Q-Tips or on a lint free rag. Its more likely that the electrical contacts on the ink cartridge [that electrical chip], or inside the Print Cartridge Holder Assembly [that makes contact with the elec chip], may simply be dirty. Using damp Q-tips [not wet or dripping], gently and carefully wipe off the gold colored electrical plates on the cartridges and the electrical contacts inside the holder assy. Its best to use "Distilled Water", because it has less chemicals and minerals in it, than tap water and regular tap water can actually cause additional problems. Use new dry Q-Tips to dry off all the electrical contacts after cleaning...Just to let you know: When both the Power and Error Lights/Led's are on SOLID, that indicates: #1 A paper jam error condition, #2 A paper out error condition, #3 No ink cartridge installed, or defective ink cartridge installed error condition. Besides a bad cartridge, its possible that there may be an actual problem with the "Home Position/Paper End Sensor Assembly. A common problem when you get a constant jam condition, or paper won't feed in correctly after a bad jam was removed, or even when the printer or your computer thinks that the paper has not been correctly loaded: If you have recently had a bad paper jam that you had to forcefully yank out of your printer, especially towards the rear of the printer, in the backwards direction, then its possible that a part was unhooked/unseated, or even damaged. When paper is pulled to the rear/backwards with force, it usually unseats the arm on the "Paper Jam Sensor Assy", resulting in a constant jam condition. Normally, as paper passes thru the printer, it causes a black plastic arm [with a spring attached] to be pushed forward out of the "Paper Jam Sensor". As the trail edge of the paper leaves the plastic arm, the spring causes the plastic arm to be pulled back into its normal position [into that sensor assembly]. When the arm does not correctly return, the sensor is not activated and the printer thinks there is a paper jam [even though you can not see any paper in the paper path], or does not correctly feed-in the paper, because the sensor is not correctly actuated. Of course I have no way to really know whats wrong with your printer, or even if this is your problem but you have to start some place and I've seen this happen many times. Because of the disassembly and troubleshooting involved, you will find it easier to do with a Service Manual for reference. Check for an e-mail from me, that might help you further, in case that may be your possible problem. Wes has supplied a link that gives you an idea what that sensor and actuator lever looks like: http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/900pf.html . You might also be interested in RICH'S fix and his offer for possible help, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/printer/new/16526.html ...The only way to really eliminate a possible bad cartridge [even if it happens to be a new cartridge], is to actually replace it, or test it in another printer that uses the same cartridge and was working ok with its own cartridges installed. Unfortunatly, that is usually not practical, unless you know someone that has the same printer or uses the same cartridge in their printer...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on May 4, 2004 at 9:47am Add comment
Awsome!
by unknown on May 4, 2004 at 10:03am Add comment
my stylus 820 does noyhing when i try to turn it on
by Anonymous on May 24, 2004 at 3:58pm Add comment
where can i get a service manual for epseon 820?
by john on May 24, 2004 at 3:59pm Add comment
John: I have not checked, but you can normally find Service Manuals and or Service Adjustment Programs/Resets for most printers, at www.2manuals.com (most Service Manuals can usually be downloaded for around $10 /- ), or from http://www.user-service-manuals.com/epson-service-manuals.htm, or even from http://www.sm.copyprofi.net/index.htm [check prices of available Service Manuals]...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on May 24, 2004 at 4:08pm Add comment
Anonymous: I'm assuming that you mean its basically dead, with no power on at all. First, make sure that you have power coming out of your electrical outlet. If so, then I would guess that either the Power Supply Assembly, or possibly a fuse on that assembly has failed. Normally you would have to at least remove the Top Cover Assembly and possibly do some other disassembly, just to do power checks with an Electrical Meter. You would probably need a Service Manual for reference, troubleshooting, disassembly and servicing, to be able to try and find out where the power has failed. I have not checked, but you can normally find Service Manuals and or Service Adjustment Programs/Resets for most printers, at www.2manuals.com (most Service Manuals can usually be downloaded for around $10 /- ), or from http://www.user-service-manuals.com/epson-service-manuals.htm, or even from http://www.sm.copyprofi.net/index.htm [check prices of available Service Manuals]...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on May 24, 2004 at 4:16pm Add comment
thanks much--will proceed
by john on May 24, 2004 at 4:26pm Add comment
The problem I am having has to do with black ink being dragged across the printer bed and it is getting on the small rubber rollers. When I go to print I am getting vertical ink tracks in mulitple places on the paper. I did notice that there appears to be an excessive amount of ink where the print head dumps ink when it does a print head cleaning.
by unknown on May 27, 2004 at 10:12pm Add comment
Cliff: You will first need to clean up any build-up of ink that you can see, where the Printhead Assembly purges itself into an opening above the Waste Ink Pad Area. Also any ink build-up on the guide plate area, under where the printhead assy travels back-n-forth during its printing process. Then clean the ink of those small rollers that the paper travels under, just prior to going under the printhead assy. Use a damp rag or damp Q-Tips to get up as much ink as you can. Its also possible that your problem is being caused by a build-up of dust, dirt, lint and hair that sticks to the wet ink on the bottom side and backside areas of the Printhead Assembly. That build-up acts like a small paint brush and transfers wet ink to those small white or grey relay type rollers, that the paper passes under, just prior to going under the Print Head Assembly, during the actual printing process. Those small rollers then act like tiny paint rollers and roll the wet ink onto the paper as it passes below those rollers. Once those two areas are thoughly cleaned and then the small rollers are also cleaned, the problem will normally go away. Check for a couple of e-mails from me that should help in that area, in case you want to do the cleaning and at least eliminate that possibility...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on May 28, 2004 at 8:58am Add comment
My 820 has stopped loading pages properly. The sheet drops down into the loader and starts to get pulled in, but it appears the roller is not putting sufficient pressure on the paper to pull it through. After a few seconds, I get a paper jam errror, although there is no actual jam.

Any ideas?
by unknown on May 29, 2004 at 7:53am Add comment
It could be that the paper feed is out of timing. But there was a person who had that type of problem afrer they started to use a new type of paper. The paper for some reason has a slick surface on it and the paper feed roller just could not grab the paper.

There also is a small pad and "cork" piece that can get dirty which will also cause that problem for info on how to access it try this link http://epsonhelp.freehttp.com/C60PF.html The link shows the C60 but the 820 is close to the C60.

You can clean the pad with plain water and a "Q-tip" and a dry brush for the "cork" piece.

I hope this helps,

Wes
by unknown on May 29, 2004 at 7:32pm Add comment
I have a simmilar problem to Janet. I can't figure out how to clean it and what exactly to clean. I get a big line of ink dashes and what almost look like tire marks. They appear on the left of what ever I print and through any pictures.

Rhiannon
by unknown on Jun 3, 2004 at 12:21pm Add comment
Hi
I only want to print using the black ink cart. I do a lot of B/W photography and use the 820 to print copies. It was working fine for some time, but now the colour cart is empty and the printer won't do anything. It won't let me do any maintenance (nozzle check, head cleaning) as I keep getting the looping message that the colour ink is out.
The black cart is new.

I have Black Ink Only checked in the printing defaults.
Running it with XP
Any help would be great

Tracy
by unknown on Jun 10, 2004 at 3:39pm Add comment
what`s wrong? i refilled my both cartridges and they have been resseted but i see in my epson monitor all ink levels zero, the green and red lights are solid... my printer support refill cartridges?

Andres
by unknown on Jun 10, 2004 at 6:42pm Add comment
Tracy,

Replace the colour ink cartridge. The printer will not print as long as the colour ink cartridge is empty.
by Ron on Jun 10, 2004 at 6:48pm Add comment
I'm having the same problem as Andres. I re-filled my color cartridge, and it still thinks it's empty. (Yes, I know it's not recommended, but I don't need great color for what I'm printing 95\% of the time, and those Epson cartridges are pricey!) :-) There MUST be a way to re-set the "counter" on the cartridge, no? Please let me know!

Thanks!
Tony
by unknown on Jun 12, 2004 at 8:54pm Add comment
Andres and Tony,

You need to reset the chip on the ink cartridge. If you don't reset the chip it will never turn the ink light out. You can try the ssc service utility but I really recopmmend a chip resetter.

You can get the ssc servive utility from here http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html this utility covers most Epson models.

And the chip resetter can be purchased from here http://www.eink4u.com/chipresetter.html

If you buy a chip resetter from some other dealer make sure the batteries can be replaced. Some resetters are sealed and some are not.

I hope this helps,

Wes.
by unknown on Jun 12, 2004 at 9:30pm Add comment
Wes,

Thanks a LOT! After some bouncing around the internet (including archives on THIS site!) I found the answer... just about the time you gave it to me. :-) Guess I could have been a _little_ more patient, but this was making me CRAZY!

For those interested, I found the resetters on eBay for $4-6. Now I don't know about replaceable batteries, but they claim the resetters are good for "thousands" of resets; certainly plenty for my (home) use. And even if you find one with replaceable batteries, how much are the batts? Could be cheaper to buy a new resetter-?

Thanks for the FAST help & advice!!

Tony
by unknown on Jun 12, 2004 at 9:53pm Add comment
A quick follow up to the refilled cartridges...

I'm sure the following has all been said before, but I thought I should add my 2¢

Just a friendly 'suggestion' (& I have NO affilition with Epson in ANY way) If you're printing photos or documents where consistent color IS important, I'd stick to "genuine" Epson cartridges, and not mess with refilling or "after market". I've used a LOT of after market & refilled (for my Epsons as well as other printers and copiers), and they NEVER seem to be as reliable or accurate as the "real deal".

My original question (& my need to get info on refilling) was becuase this one printer prints mostly kid's homework and spreadsheets where color is NOT that important, and I was getting tired of paying $16-20 for color cartridges when I can refill 'em for $1-2! For important photos and where consistency IS important, I'll stick to Genuine Epson (& pay the price <ugh>)

Tony
by unknown on Jun 12, 2004 at 10:04pm Add comment
i've resseted my cartridges by ssc service (but it didn´t work) and i've tried with a chip resetter (it didn't work). i don't know what i have to do.

andres
by unknown on Jun 13, 2004 at 8:49am Add comment
Hi, when I turned my printer on the printer head drags til it reaches the right side and makes a horrible "vaccuum cleaner" noise for a few seconds (as if it's trying to go further) then stops. The Green light on the first button turns off and the redlight on the middle button turns on. I'm running windows XP and have been using this printer for about 2 years. Someone please help. :(
by unknown on Jun 13, 2004 at 9:11pm Add comment
Fixed it! Turns out there is this litle plastic piece inside the print on the right. It "catches" the ink cartridges when they move to the right when the printer is first turned on. It was stuck and I just pushed it back so it could catch the passing inks and it worked. (I'm assuming this little piece "feels" where the ink cartridges are located so it can align them for printing. Because the plastic piece never caught, the printer would move the inks as far right as it can and not stop causing the horrible noise.
by unknown on Jun 13, 2004 at 10:08pm Add comment
Please help. I am doing a great deal of work with Photoshop 6. I am using Windows 98. I get the photo looking right on the monitor and the print looks mostly magenta. I have downloaded the PIM II and installed it. The option of epson RGB 2001 does not appear in my color space selection.

I realize this is probaly a color management problem, but I don't know what else to do.

Thank you,

Mic
by unknown on Jun 15, 2004 at 8:43am Add comment
Andres: On an Epson Stylus Photo 820, a solid green Power Light and a solid red Error light, indicate: a paper jam error, a paper out error, no ink cartridges installed, or even defective ink cartridges installed. You may have to actually install New Epson Ink Cartridges, to eliminate the possibility of defective ink cartridges. Especially since neither the SSC Utility or a Chip Resetter worked for you. Its also possible that there could be a possible problem in the paper feed system, thats causing that service error light condition, theres no way to really know. A common problem when you get a constant jam condition, or paper won't feed in correctly after a bad jam was removed, or even when the printer or your computer thinks that the paper has not been correctly loaded: If you have recently had a bad paper jam that you had to forcefully yank out of your printer, especially towards the rear of the printer, in the backwards direction, then its possible that a part was unhooked/unseated, or even damaged. When paper is pulled to the rear/backwards with force, it usually unseats the arm on the "Paper Jam Sensor Assy", resulting in a constant jam condition. Normally, as paper passes thru the printer, it causes a black plastic arm [with a spring attached] to be pushed forward out of the "Paper Jam Sensor". As the trail edge of the paper leaves the plastic arm, the spring causes the plastic arm to be pulled back into its normal position [into that sensor assembly]. When the arm does not correctly return, the sensor is not activated and the printer thinks there is a paper jam [even though you can not see any paper in the paper path], or does not correctly feed-in the paper, because the sensor is not correctly actuated. Of course I have no way to really know whats wrong with your printer, or even if this is your problem but you have to start some place and I've seen this happen many times. Because of the disassembly and troubleshooting involved, you will find it easier to do with a Service Manual for reference. Wes has supplied a link that gives you an idea what that sensor and actuator lever looks like: http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/900pf.html . You might also be interested in RICH'S fix and his offer for possible help, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/printer/new/16526.html ...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jun 16, 2004 at 3:46pm Add comment
Mic...Just in case no one else is able to help you: I'm sorry, but it sounds like you may have an actual software problem [Photoshop 6], rather than an actual printer problem and you may need to get help from the software manufactor. We normally just work on the actual printer problems and not computer related problems [like software], on this Printer Repair Site. You can simply run the printers "Nozzle Test Page", or even the "Printer Test Page", off the Printer Properties Utility loaded on your Computer System and see if they look ok. If they look ok, then your printer is working normally and then its a software related problem, or the settings in that software...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jun 16, 2004 at 3:55pm Add comment
Hello,

I am having a problem with print quality. I think the source of the problem is I don't use the printer very often. The printer sat unused for almost a year, so I put new catridges in it, and printed a couple dozen pages of text. That was last December, about six months ago.

Today I went to print some photos, and only black, darker blue, and yellow printed (as checked by the nozzle check) A couple of lines of the darker red appeared in the test also, but pretty sparse.

So I did the head cleaning thang, and another nozzle check. This time all the colors appears, but the black was missing a couple of stripes, and the newly appearing colors were missing some stripes. Another head cleaning made some colors worse, others better.

The ink levels are over 3/4 full, so I'd rather not replace the ink if possible. Is this an old ink problem, or a clogged head problem? Also, what happens to all the ink the gets ejected during a head cleaning? I assume a resevoir is filling up, is the method to empty it online, or do I need to buy a service manual?

Thanks,

-Michael
by unknown on Jun 19, 2004 at 6:52pm Add comment
It sounds like the print head is still partially clogged. You can try running the print head utility a few more times. Clean the print heads by performing a head cleaning followed by printing a nozzle check pattern. A head cleaning and nozzle check pattern must be performed as a cycle. After printing a nozzle check pattern, examine the printed dot pattern. Each staggered horizontal and straight vertical line should be complete, with no gaps in the dot pattern. If there are gaps in the dot pattern, continue with another cycle. Perform up to 3 cycles if necessary.

If that does not help then you can buy the print head cleaning kit from this site http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kea0.html and if you want to see what is involved in cleaning the print head using the kit this link will help http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/printhead.html If you would like to find out one reason why the print head clogged after changing the ink cartridge read this link http://www.wesesweb.web1000.com/why.html if you want to really test the print output try printing the page from this link http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/color.html

I hope this helps you out.

Wes.
by unknown on Jun 19, 2004 at 10:21pm Add comment
OK, I received my cleaning solution today. I'm a little confused by the instructions. Or maybe just matching the instructions up to my printer...

Once the print head was out of the way, I went in with a flashlight. The instructions say the sponge to cover is on the left side of the service station. I see two areas on my station. On the left is a rectangle that is nearly brimming with a black liquid, and has two or three metal "tabs" barely sticking out of it. There is some ink spilled around this "reservoir". On the right is a rectangle sponge with an extra tab on it, that looks like it has been absorbing some of the ink from the reservoir to its left.

The whole unit slides right and up on a track, and the front slider can pop out once it has slid all the way to the front. It also appears there is a tube coming out of the bottom of the sliding unit.

A few questions I guess. Is the sponge on the right what I actually want to put the cleaner on? And how should I get the ink out of the reservoir on the left? Should that reservoir be draining through the tube I see into something underneath? Should I slide the whole unit out and dump that black fluid into something? The sponge is black, I assume with ink. Is there a way to remove it and clean it? Should I use the same cleaning fluid to clean that sponge?

Thank you,

-Michael
by unknown on Jun 29, 2004 at 1:55pm Add comment
Michael: I do not work for "fixyourownprinter.com", but do work for an "Authorized Epson Service Dealer". When you have a clog, you want to use that syringe and Epson Cleaning Solution, to very slowly and very carefully inject that solution into the Printhead Assembly. After you remove the black ink cartridge, you actually inject the cleaning solution into the black plastic protrusion, that punctures the ink cartridge when its inserted into that Print Cartridge Holder Assembly. JUST REMEMBER: The "nozzles" inside the printhead assembly can be easily damaged by using to much force on the plunger of the syringe. Damage can even occur when you are using the Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution method, if you actually try to force the fluid thru the nozzle. To much force/pressure can damage the little tubes inside the Nozzle Assembly and then it will never work again. One individual printhead nozzle is so tiny, that it will not accept a human hair. You can see why they can get clogged so easily, or even why the nozzles can be so easily damaged. The correct method is to use the syringe to add the fluid into the nozzle and then leave the fluids set inside the nozzle for a day or two, to try and dissolve a possible bad clog. Sometimes you might have to use the fluids several times to be able to dissolve the clog in the printhead nozzles. Sometimes the clog will never disolve, or it actually damages the nozzles. The longer the clog has been in, the worse it is to remove. Again, if the cleaning fluids don't help, then its generally time to invest in a new printer. In some more expensive printers, you may want to get an estimate to replace the printhead assembly, but as a general rule, its not really economical to do in the smaller Epson Ink Jet style printers. You can generally buy a new small printer cheaper than you can have your old one repaired for. EXAMPLE: The printhead assembly in the "C80" Printer sells for around $120 to $130...As far as that felt "Cap Assembly", you can clean any ink build-up, off the top area of that assembly, with Q-Tips [damp not dripping] and Distilled Water [save the Epson Cleaning Solution for your clogged nozzles]. That cap assy will always have ink on it, as the ink is pulled thru that felt pad, during the Printhead Cleaning Cycles and also during normal printing. I do not recommend removing it, because the tiny springs are easy to dislodge and hard to reinstall. All you have to do, is to carefully clean off the excess ink thats on and around that cap assy and its rubber ring. Any clog you have is normally inside that printhead assy and cleaning that cap assy will not help in a clogged situation. On rare instances, there may be a clog on the face of the printhead assembly, or a nozzle may be firing crooked, do to a heavy build-up of ink and foreign material. Then filling that felt pad up with the solution and parking that printhead assembly, to set for 24 hours on top of that wet pad, may dissolve an exterior clog or crooked firing nozzle. Vacuum that is created by the Pumping Mechanism, pulls ink thru that felt cap assy, thru the tiny tubes, to the Waste Ink Pads, under the printers Carriage Assembly area. If a spring falls off, the pump fails, a hose falls off, a hose plugs up, or the cap assy comes unhooked, then you will loose that vacuum and ink will not flow thru the printhead nozzles at all...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jun 29, 2004 at 3:17pm Add comment
hey...i've spent a HUGE amount of time both by myself and with epson on the phone......i keep cleaning, but NOTHING PRINTS.........paper comes out blank.
i've read the help on this site....
do you think it's worth it to spend more time on this, trying the mentioned epson cleaning fluid?
i'm not at all familiar with this printer....just received it as a hand-me-down.........it was sitting unused for i think more than a year.
will it give decent photo prints/is it worth spending the time and money on this fluid?
thanks! - sharon austin
Sorry, I'm still confused.

I understand this is a delicate operation. I almost wish I'd break the thing, I am so sick of inkjet problems and the cost of ink. My laser printer has been working over ten years and has printed a gazillion copies, with only rubber rollers needing replacement. I can't reliably get my inkjet to print pictures of the kids every few months.

I guess I have two problems, one caused by the other. The primary problem is (I hope) plugged nozzles. I didn't use the printer for months, and when I did, some of the colors did not print. I tried the self clean/test cycle three times. The colors that had not shown up started working, but had horizontal stripes, like a rotated bar code. Strangley, the colors that had been solid on the first test pattern started doing the same thing. This was a lightly used catridge that just hadn't been used in a while. The bar patterns are not regular (repeating across print head passes), but solid horizontal lines are solid, and blank horizontal lines are blank, within each color. I assumed this was a plugged head, and ordered the cleaner. I will try your technique with the cleaner rather than the one that came with the package, which said to saturate the foam pad with cleaner, since I can't figure out the correct place to saturate, and you have given detailed instructions.

The secondary problem, which probably stems from the multiple cleaning cycles I did before, was that there was an area where the head parks that was brimming with black liquid, I assume ink. So full, if I had moved the printer, it would have spilled. I have just wadded up a paper towl and stuck it in there, and almost all of it absorbed, but was so much ink it saturated half of the paper towl. It was a lot of ink. Shouldn't that ink have drained somewhere, rather than sit up next to where the head would be, and could be so easily spilled? I will continue the cleanup of that area with a q-tip.

Is there a diagram anywhere that shows the parts you are talking about? I think I would understand better with a picture. Not that I really need to understand what is happening, I just need to know what to do about the poor printing, and how to keep this thing from spilling ink.

Thanks for the help.

-Michael
by unknown on Jun 29, 2004 at 3:53pm Add comment
Michael: I know of no actual diagrams or pictures on the "820", that you can use. There is a general information page on the "Epson Stylus 400,440,600,640,740" that you can view at http://epsonhelp.freehttp.com/440.html . If you want to see what's involved in print head cleaning, Wes has supplied a link that might help: http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/printhead.html . For Exploded Diagrams of most Epson Ink Jet Printers and or possible parts ordering, by Compass Micro Inc, go to " http://www.compassmicro.com/parts_select.cfm ". Other than those, you could of course try and locate an actual Service Manual on-line, to buy and download for in-depth reference. I have not checked, but you can normally find Service Manuals and or Service Adjustment Programs/Resets for most printers, from 2manuals.com, at http://www.2manuals.com (most Service Manuals can usually be downloaded for around $10 /- ), or from http://www.user-service-manuals.com/epson-service-manuals.htm, or even from http://www.sm.copyprofi.net/index.htm [check prices of available Service Manuals]...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jun 29, 2004 at 5:40pm Add comment
Thanks for the links. If I can restrain myself from chucking the printer out the window over the next couple days, I may order a manual.

After mopping up the ink in the pan on the right, squirting cleaner through the nozzles, collecting the extra with a paper towel underneath, letting it all sit overnight, and cleaning it all up, I ran a nozzle check. Almost nothing came out, so I did a head clean, and the following nozzle check shows my original problem. Horizontal blank lines through each of the colors. The same lines are not all the way through all the colors, but a line within a color is solid. The strange thing is the lines within a color are not repeating, which I would assume would be the case if the same part of the head refused to fire on each pass.

Does this sound like I need to clean it again? Or is this indicative of another problem? I bought a new set of catridges, but am afraid to open them to test them out. If the printer is shot, I'd rather return them and get my $50 back.

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed?

Thanks,

-Michael
by unknown on Jul 1, 2004 at 8:15am Add comment
Very strange. The nozzle check has lines in the color, but the web page with the epson color test pattern comes out perfect.

I guess I'll just have to try printing the pictures I was after in the first place, and see how they come out.

Thanks.
by unknown on Jul 1, 2004 at 11:05am Add comment
Michael: On the "820" printer, if you run up to 6 sets of "Printhead Cleaning Cycles" & "Nozzle Tests" and the lines are not gone, then MOST of the time simply installing New Epson Ink cartridges will correct the problem. You have to remember to run a nozzle test after every cleaning cycle ran, because those nozzle tests are used as a point of reference for the next cleaning cycle that is ran. Of course, its always possible that you have a clogged printhead assembly, or possibly even a failing printhead assembly, especially if you were actually using Non-Epson ink or Ink cartridges in your printer, but no way to really know. Failing/bad/empty ink cartridges are the most common problem that I see on the "820". Actually installing those New Epson Ink cartridges, is a CHANCE you would have to take and your decision to make. If those other cartridges are Generic or Third-Party cartridges, then they may be causing your problems. I can tell you that no photo quality printer made for under around $120 to $150, will replace your "820". Although prices have come way down in the last couple of years, so has the quality of all small ink jet style printers. Its a disposable world, even if we don't agree with it. Small printers just do not have the quality that they did just a few years ago. Of course printers were more expensive a few years ago, so we were paying for that quality. Your "820" was around $160 when it first came out and when it was eventually replaced, Epson Company had them on sale for as low as around $90 [ /-]...What it comes down to, is that you have to decide what to do, because there's no way for us to actually know whats wrong with your printer and whats causing the problems. All you can do is eliminate possible causes/problems. I don't think you need a Service Manual at this point and if running sets of tests does not help, then installing those New Epson cartridges may correct your problem, but its your choice to make. If new cartridges do not help, then you may need the "Printhead Cleaning Solution", to try and remove a possible clog. If the printheads are not clogged, then they may actually be failing, but that is rare and then its time to buy a new printer...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jul 1, 2004 at 11:28am Add comment
This is a fantastic thread. Looks like I am not alone in my Epson Stylus Photo 820 problems -- I, too, have the red light and green light sitting there, solid, on. Any of the other folks above: I would love to hear followups, like did Denny's advice work, or what happened?

I haven't had a paper jam; I guess I can jettison my almost-brand-new $35 Epson black ink cartridge and put in a new one, but that really pisses me off! Every time their product malfunctions, are we supposed to hand them another $35 for a new cartridge? Ugh.

Also, even when it was working, the printer always seemed to require a lot of use of the head cleaning utility. I wish they had a way to run/nozzle check that without using all the colours of ink; usually, my problem is just the black ink having horizontal lines in it, but the nozzle check & clean process also uses a bunch of coloured ink. If there's some clever way to do this, I'd love to hear it.
by unknown on Jul 2, 2004 at 12:12pm Add comment
Magdalen: Be sure you read the old replies that I previously posted above yours, on this message board. The ones that may possibly apply to your particular problem, are the replies I gave to: BRIAN on 1/28/2004 & OPAL on 3/15/2004 and especially the one to ULTRABOB on 5/04/2004...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jul 2, 2004 at 12:29pm Add comment
yay! it's working again -- i just replaced the ink cartridges. i do resent having to waste (expensive, name-brand Epson) the ink cartridges, but at least i have a printer.
by unknown on Jul 2, 2004 at 12:39pm Add comment
ULTRABOB, OPAL & BRIAN...There's been several simular [if not exactly the same] postings, on the Epson Stylus Photo 820 Printer, with the same problems you three were having with the Solid Red & Solid Green Lights/Led's being on. Did any of the information in the replies you received, actually help to correct your printers problems. If so, it would be helpful [if you had the time] to post an updated message or reply on this Message Board. Letting other people know your results, may help them to possibly correct problems that they may be having, thats simular to yours...Thank You! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jul 2, 2004 at 1:13pm Add comment
Magdalen: Congratulations on being able to take care of your printers problem and thanks for letting us know your results...GOOD JOB! Denny Conway...P.S. You might want to check out the "SSC SERVICE UTILITY", at http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html and see if it will work on your system. They state that the "SSC Service Utility allows you to do many amazing things with your Epson Printer", including "#4) Separate cleaning of color and black heads for all Epson inkjet printers, powerful cleaning mode".

by Denny Conway on Jul 2, 2004 at 1:21pm Add comment
I'm on a G4 powerbook, and I just upgraded to OS 10.3 (Panther). No troubles before that, but now I can't print to my Epson Stylus Photo 820. I re-installed the driver -- nothing. I rebooted the computer, rebooted the printer... nothing. I went into System Preferences, and under Print & Fax, I changed the printer to Stylus Photo 820... nothing. No response from the printer, and the on light is a solid green. I'm pulling my hair out, since printing is one of things I need my computer to be able to do MOST! Is there a new driver coming out for OS 10.3? Are there any special tricks I can do to make it work? Thanks for your help...
by unknown on Jul 15, 2004 at 11:05am Add comment
Jason: My 820 still works on OS 10.3 but I've had problems ever since too (see copied post below). Sorry I can't give you any help on how to get printing...but at least you'll know it's "do-able."

I have had my 820 for almost 3 years and gone through numerous cartidges. I print a lot of photos & color intensive pages and was very pleased with the quality of the prints until recently. I have gone through 3 sets of cartridges in the past 2 months. I can get about 20-30 color pages printed (normal mode) before the ink cartidge empties again. The prints look muddy like it's throwing out WAY too much ink per print. Any ideas?? Does it need to be cleaned? This all happened after upgrading my Mac OS from 10.1 to 10.3 - is it not recognizing something now?? Help! I can't afford to print...and can't afford not to!! Thanks! - michc
Jason: I'm sorry, but I have no idea, mainly because I'm a PC person and the company where I'm employed does not support or service Mac's. I do hope some Mac person is able to help you, but if not then you might want to actually contact the Epson Technical support Department for possible help. To see available phone numbers for technical support and replacement parts ordering, go on-line to Epson @ " www.epson.com ", or call the Epson Automated Support Locator @ 1-800-442-2110 [press 1, then 1 & following prompts]. If your printer is out of warranty, you will need a credit card, before the technicians can help you, because there is a charge for technical support over the phone. You can e-mail the "Epson Technical Support Department", for possible help or advice, at www.epson.com and then click-on "Proceed With E-Mail". They state on their web-site, that they "will respond via e-mail within 1 business day" and theres no charge for that help...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jul 15, 2004 at 11:21am Add comment
Jason: I have an iBook, and I don't remember what I installed for the 820 when I got it, but I have not upgraded the printer software, and EPSON Printer Utility says it is version 1.67. When I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3, printing still worked without any changes to the printer software. I know it doesn't help that I don't have a fix for you, but at least you know that it can be made to work.

-Michael
by unknown on Jul 15, 2004 at 11:32am Add comment
I am getting a 1/4-1/2 inch band of horizontal very thin black lines across my photos intermittently (not every page of photos) and randomly spaced on the page. Any suggestions?
by unknown on Jul 26, 2004 at 11:54am Add comment
Alice: When I see horizontal lines across photos, its usually do to either a failing "Printhead Assembly", or a failing "Main Board Assembly", but no way to really know for sure. Especially when those lines are intermittent and randomly spaced. Generally, cleaning will not actually help, if it is an actual Hardware/Parts problem, that is causing those lines. Its possible that your problem is being caused by a build-up of dust, dirt, lint and hair that sticks to the wet ink on the bottom side and backside areas of the Printhead Assembly. That build-up acts like a small paint brush and transfers wet ink to the paper, as it passes under the printhead assembly, during the actual printing process. Once those two areas are thoughly cleaned, the problem will normally go away, if its not an actual hardware/parts problem. Check for a couple of e-mails from me that should help in that area, in case you want to do the cleaning and at least eliminate that possibility...Good Luck! Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Jul 26, 2004 at 3:56pm Add comment
Thanks for this great site! I had the same problem Mavis did with my printer head sticking on the right. Just a slight push of the black plastic piece holding the print head did it. I appreciate the input from Denny, are you getting paid for this?????
by unknown on Aug 13, 2004 at 8:58am Add comment
Grace: You're welcome and congratulations on being able to actually repair your printers problem. Just to let you know: I simply volunter to help out on this Printer Repair Site, in my free time while at work. I am paid by my employer to repair printers and build new Computer Systems. The THANKS I get from people like you, especially when I was actually able to help you to repair your printer, is what makes my day. GOOD JOB!!!...Denny Conway
by Denny Conway on Aug 13, 2004 at 10:14am Add comment
PLEASE HELP!!
I have a Stylus Photo 820 I am trying to install. I lost the install disk, so I went to epson.com and d/l the install file and it wont install due to the know General Protection Fault error in windows with regards to a recent update. I decided to maually install with the .INF file, but the self extractor that contains it is damaged (right off the site). Can someone email me the .INF file for W2K or offer some help???

the file is : E_DF16FE.INF

My email is [email protected]
by unknown on Aug 31, 2004 at 6:41pm Add comment
Try downloading the driivers from here http://www.epson.co.uk/support/index.htm

The site is a little slow but you should be able to get the driver there.

I hope this helps,

Wes.
by unknown on Aug 31, 2004 at 11:39pm Add comment
How does head cleaning actually work? I know that it cleans the nozzles, but how does it actually do this? Also the help guides say head cleaning may consume a lot of ink; and i have found this to be correct lol. I have an Epson CX3200, and after a couple of head cleanings the LCD display on the printer shows that the black ink has gone down by about 30\%. So, what actually happens to the ink? Is it stored somewhere in the printer?
by unknown on Apr 7, 2005 at 3:03pm Add comment
Shah: Basically, when you are running that "Printhead Cleaning Cycle" and "Nozzle Test", all that is really happening is that new fresh ink is being pumped into the tiny print head nozzles, to try and flush out the old ink and any minor clogs. The ink that is being consumed, runs thru tiny hoses in the cleaning station assembly/pumping mechanism, to the waste ink pads. Those pads are usually located inside the printer, where you cannot see them. On most of the printers, there is not much actual cleaning that is going on. There is a cleaning blade, that wipes off the bottom of the printhead assembly, during that cleaning cycle. If after 5 or 6 sets of print head cleaning cycles and nozzle tests, all the nozzles are not open, or there are white lines or void lines running thru that test pattern, then you can assume that you probably have either a clogged print head assembly, or a failing printhead assembly, or a failing ink cartridge. Running a lot of print head cleaning cycles and nozzle tests can use up the ink inside the cartridges. On some models, you could install a new ink cartridge and run between 10-15 cleaning cycles and tests and its possible to empty the new ink cartridge...Denny Conway

by Denny Conway on Apr 7, 2005 at 4:20pm Add comment
Is it possible to run the 820 on black ink only, leaving the color cartridge in, but empty? Last year I had similar problems as other people. The printer wouldn't respond to the new ink cartridges I put in. I mostly print black, yet it still drains the color(wtf)!!!! After some fiddling it worked.

Now a year later, my cartridges are low again and I have bought new ones already, and I'm worried if the printer will/will not respond to the new ink cartridges again...
by Anonymous on Mar 4, 2006 at 7:18pm Add comment
Does anyone have the original installation CD that came with the Epson Stylus Photo? I've misplaced mine in a move, and I need the Mac OS X drivers AND installation software (as they existed on the disc, not the current version on Epson's website.)

I can either purchase the CD, OR borrow it, so I can reinstall the software, and then ship back the CD.

Thanks In Advance!
Keith : )
by battlecry on Nov 6, 2006 at 9:27pm Add comment
I had the problem with horizontal bar code like lines running on top of my pictures as well, however, mine are always red. I have a new color ink cartridge in there and it was printing well for a few pages before the lines appeared and nothing I do now seem to make it go away. I had the same problem with the Epson Stylus Photo 870 that I owned previous to the 820. I read through most of the reponses and didn't really find anything that might explain or help with this? Are these Epson printers just made so cheaply that something in the printer head just breaks at some point (usually some time after the warranty)?

I know we live in a disposable world, but having to buy a new printer every couple of years just is not acceptable. I certainly don't want to contribute to this attitude by continuing to buy this junk.

Any ideas?
by unknown on Dec 11, 2006 at 1:15pm Add comment
I don't know about others but I have had my fill of Epson printers! My next printer will surely not be an Epson! I think it is appauling what we consumers have had to put up with concerning Epson printers. There is just no excuse for the poor design and total disregard by Epson for it. I have a RX600 and this printer should have been recalled long ago by Epson and all of us supplied a different model free of charge. They know it is defective yet do nothing! Pure Greed and what many of us consumers are beginning to see with many companies! For Shame!
by mike45 on Mar 20, 2007 at 7:54am Add comment
see my 10/24/06 post;
since then i WASTED the money and time on the kit they suggested i buy and try. what a waste.
forget it.
so disgusted with the waste of time and money trying to get this to work!
by sharon austin on Mar 20, 2007 at 8:46am Add comment
I was given a epson stylus photo 820 printer and they did not give me the installation disk. How do I download a free installation disk to my computer so I can use the printer. Does anyone know the site.
by unknown on Sep 9, 2007 at 12:02am Add comment
I run my printer on a windows 98 computer! I am getting a service required message saying parts inside are at end of service life, contact service provider! I have done that and they are saying it may be a pad that collects the excess ink that may be full up and needs replacing! However they are not sure there is a replacement available! Can this pad be cleaned? Can I do it myself? They don't make printers for my 98 any more, so it is important to get this printer working again!!
by KatWelch on Jul 13, 2011 at 8:08pm Add comment
You can clean the pad yourself. Read here for info http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/c60wip1.html The page shows C60 but the 820 is the same exact design. Once you clean the pads you can reset the protection counter by using the SSC Service Utility. Info and download here inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html
by unknown on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:42pm Add comment