fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Snappy (12/21/10 10:51 PM) reply + / -
I stopped a paper from loading during a multi-page print. It now gives me a message directing me to turn off the machine and clear the paper jam. I have no paper jam. All paper is accounted for and no torn pieces exist. Turning the printer off and on does nothing - same message. The "stop/clear settings" button has no effect. Restarting the PC has no effect. It won't move off the error message or allow any action from the printer. How do I get rid of the message?

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Gottaride (2/11/11 11:18 AM) reply + / -
Please do not try my solution unless you do not mind possibly damaging your unit.

After exhausting all the other online answers, here I what I figured out for my Epson Workforce 600, Model# C363A. Lift the scanner bed so you can see the ink cartridge carriage. Look along the bottom of the left vertical side of the carriage and you will see a white plastic post about 3/8"x1/4"x3/4". This post can rotate to a vertical position or to almost horizontal. When the unit is off, the carriage should be to the far right and the post should be vertical.

If the post is not vertical, my unit will indicate a paper jam. The post will not be vertical if the carriage is not completely home to the right. You can tell the carriage is not home if the post is not visible from above and the carriage is covering the post. WITH THE UNIT UNPLUGGED, gently push the carriage to the right with your hand. It took 2.5 lbs to get my carriage to go home (measured with a force gauge). Now power on your printer and it should perform a proper "power on reset" (POR).

I hope this works for you.
The post must be in the up position or you will have a jam error. The post will then rotate to the down position to allow the carriage to pull out of the home position. If the carriage is not home, the post is covered by the carriage and it cannot come up. Thus you get the jam condition. This condition can be recreated by any interruption of printing or the power up routine where the carriage is not close to home. This may be a firmware bug where the carriage under some conditions will not perform a good POR. I tried my trick 25 times and it worked every time.

Good luck.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by londm (5/3/11 1:07 PM) reply+1 + / -
Just wanted to give a huge thank-you to the above poster. I was just about to the point of ordering a new printer when this page came up in a Google search. I tried this fix as a last-ditch effort and it worked perfectly!

If you leave the scanner bed open while restarting, you can see the whole power-on process in action, both in its failure state (when the carriage is blocking the white lever) and in its normal state. However, I wouldn't have been able to isolate the cause without your help. Thanks again.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by jumping for joy (5/5/11 5:31 PM) reply + / -
EXCELLENT. Thanks for the clear answer. I was at my wits end trying to figure it out. I thought it was the scanner that was out of position, never even thought about the printer ink carriage. I just pushed it a bit to the right, it clicked into place and off I went to continue scanning my documents.
THANKS!!!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by ThankYou! (5/17/11 11:11 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so very much!!! I too had the same problem. Powering down, unplugging, deleting queu, spraying air, shaking the machine to possibly get loose items out, and holding the power key for 3 minutes: Nothing worked. Until I tried this.

Thank you so much for posting!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by CatR (6/10/11 8:26 PM) reply + / -
I will add my thanks as well. I have had a lot of headaches with non-existent paper jams and I wish I had known this trick earlier. I'll add one thing for anyone else - my little white plastic post won't stand up completely vertical anymore (I overdid the shaking it upside down). I got around this by holding it upright with a pencil when I turned on the machine. Worked like a charm.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by ErinB (6/15/11 2:50 PM) reply-1 + / -
This helped me too! I had a small wad of ink covered paper stuck behind the carriage. Even after I removed the paper, the error message stayed, but I was able to hold the "little white lever" up, during power up, then power down and back up normally. Without this post, I wouldn't have found that white lever part at all. Thank you SO MUCH.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by angelicoa (6/15/11 11:29 PM) reply + / -
try to open up your printer cover the check for the paper tray if there's a piece of paper or an object in the rollers.. this is usually caused by a paper jam.

http://www.vectralasers.com

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Thank You (6/21/11 4:55 PM) reply + / -
I was going to buy a new printer tomorrow. Tried your fix with the post. You just saved me a new printer. Thanks for your information.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by dremd (7/2/11 7:12 AM) reply+1 + / -
THIS WAS PERFECT! i did the same thing Gottaride suggested and it worked wonderfully!
To recap: power off printer. open the top scanner unit so you can see the ink cartridge. Slide it all the way to the right- it will give some resistance. There is a white post that is spring loaded- it stands vertically normally but can be pushed down easily make sure its UP! It will be slightly diagonal to the only screw that is visible near the ink cartridge. Then power on and watch, I had a piece of paper shoot out to the right of the ink cartridge which I had no idea was there. The printer is back in business!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by DDG21CO (7/24/11 6:46 PM) reply + / -
Great post. I too was about ready to recycle the machine.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by sally Knaeble (9/16/11 8:35 PM) reply + / -
You are a genius. Thanks for taking the time to share this in enough detail so that even I could follow it. It worked.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by gottaride (9/17/11 8:55 AM) reply+1 + / -
Thanks for the nice messages. They make it worth the time to do the write-up. The added technical tips are great.

- UPDATE: The printer is still going strong with high usage in an office environment.

Re: Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by princenow (9/23/11 9:52 PM) reply+1 + / -
Thank you! Your post saved me having to buy a new printer.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by karenplatypus (10/23/11 9:02 AM) reply-1 + / -
Saved my printer too! After all that frustration - a gentle push to the right! I couldn't see the little white lever, but the gentle push did it anyway.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by merceme (11/13/11 12:13 PM) reply-1 + / -
Thank you so much you are the amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks sooo much. We need more people like you in tis world.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by bebeachy (12/9/11 7:53 AM) reply + / -
This worked! Thank you so much!

Re: Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Scijan (12/16/11 7:16 AM) reply+1 + / -
Works like a charm!! Thank you.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by cgibs (12/29/11 5:14 PM) reply-1 + / -
Thank you!!! Your post was certainly helpful.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by tghamm (1/14/12 6:55 PM) reply + / -
Thank You!!!! My printer is working once agian.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 spooler is broken. by esperanza (1/14/12 9:00 PM) reply+1 + / -
I cannot print from the computer. It tells me I need to find the printer. Then it tells me the spooler is broken.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 releasing carriage? by dvolpone (1/24/12 9:58 AM) reply + / -
I have 2 ink clogs so I bought cleaning materials. Sites on the internet suggest that you need to release and move the carriage out of the way so you can put blotting paper down before using the cleaning fluid. I can't figure out how to do that. Help! (I did get one clog out but don't want to continue with the second until I can put paper down.)

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Gottaride (1/24/12 11:30 PM) reply + / -
Try sending a job to the printer and pull the plug when the carriage moves out.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by WyoKDL (2/5/12 8:38 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so very much, Gottaride!! Frustration level was rising, then read your post. Worked like a champ.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by rich57 (2/12/12 9:37 AM) reply+1 + / -
I also tried it and it works. However I was able to move the ink cartridge to the right with the unit on. Maybe not such a good idea but it worked with no ill effects.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by ifyouknewsusie (2/18/12 8:49 PM) reply + / -
A year after your post, your solution to this problem is still saving some of us our sanity and our printer! Thanks so much!!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by ModMotors (3/15/12 7:51 PM) reply + / -
So glad I found this and yes, a year after the post, the solution still works although I didn't have to use force to move the white plastic post. Basically moved it up and down, then pushed the ink cartridge all the way to the right, started the printer back up and voila, paper jam gone! Thank you so much!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Anna S. (3/19/12 3:43 PM) reply + / -
HELP! So I took the advice and like everyone said, it worked. The computer no longer gives me an error message that there is a paper jam. HOWEVER, now even though it is on, it is telling me that the printer isn't ready when I try to print. I am about to throw my printer out the window. Any ideas????

Re: Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Gottaride (3/25/12 5:35 AM) reply + / -
Run the printer's self check. If that is ok, then uninstall and reinstall the printer driver to reset all the communication settings.

Re: Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by HRexpert (edited 3/30/12 10:38 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I am having this very problem and I do have that same printer and model as mentioned in your post. I can't find the white plastic post you mentioned. Do I have to remove the top portion/scanned bed? I really love this printer and want to fix it.

Thanks for your help.

HRexpert

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Gottaride (3/30/12 11:16 PM) reply + / -
Lift the scanner like you are going to reach in and change the ink. If you do not see the post, the ink cartridge carriage may be part way out and over the top of the post. Try gently pushing the carriage to the right until it stops.
Good luck.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by jhirsch (4/28/12 11:47 PM) reply + / -
The Above solution work like a charm! Although I think just pushing the ink cartridge holder all the way to the right did the job. The post (which on my printer is square) was then exposed and seem to pop into position, not fully up by the way... Thanks, joe

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by davetherave (6/19/12 8:59 AM) reply + / -
dude....June of 2012 and this thread still gettin the love...it fixed mine as well....thanks!!

Epson Workforce 630 won't clear paper jam message by M Khalid (8/23/12 1:08 PM) reply + / -
My friend send me a New One Epson Workforce 630 and its have a paper Jam problem and there is no paper because its New. It now gives me a message directing me to turn off the machine and clear the paper jam. I have no paper jam. All paper is accounted for and no torn pieces exist. Turning the printer off and on does nothing - same message. The "stop/clear settings" button has no effect. Restarting the PC has no effect. It won't move off the error message or allow any action from the printer. How do I get rid of the message?

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by dhclark (9/6/12 3:48 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU, Gottaride! You saved the day! :-)

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by lespring (9/6/12 8:31 PM) reply + / -
I found the little post, and it was leaning slightly forward. The printer cartridge was all the way to the right. I tried holding the post upright with my finger, and also with a pencil. Neither thing fixed the problem. Grrrr My printer is going to grow wings and fly into a wall very soon!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Kdub (9/10/12 8:43 AM) reply + / -
haha .. still going .. This post saved my printer from the scrap heap as well .. Gotaride you are the Man!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by henrytoo (9/13/12 10:51 AM) reply + / -
I understand Gottaride. I don't do anything without having
the "indispensable" measuring devices.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by epson600wf (11/9/12 10:47 AM) reply + / -
we have the same issue with our wf600. we tried the suggestion from "gottaride" with no success.

any other reset options anyone can think of? i do not see any type of paper or anything inside the printer or loose parts.

thank you for any feedback.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by palady (11/14/12 4:28 AM) reply + / -
Yes! After doing alllll that other stuff...this is what worked like a charm!
Absolutely was five minutes away from just ordering another printer when I lucked onto this thread.
THANK YOU!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by eeagle (1/15/13 9:50 PM) reply + / -
I had the same dreaded paper jam msg but no paper jam. The fix pertaining to the horizontal/vertical post wasn't the problem in my case as the carriage was all the way to the right and the post mostly horizontal. However, I was finally able to clear the problem by using a screw driver to jog one of the paper feed gears (visible with the cover open, in the back right with the carriage moved to the left). Just put the blade in the plastic gear teeth and pushed down 6 or 8 times, turned the printer on and that was it. Presumably that dislodged some debris or other, although I did not see anything. This was after an hour of trying everything else, and figuring I'd be buying a new printer, given the cost of repair service.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by canoe1908 (2/20/13 4:38 PM) reply + / -
Thanks over and over. I have tried to figure out the problem for days and finally Googled the issue. Your post worked for me!!! Many thanks again.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by friend of a friend (2/24/13 7:12 PM) reply + / -
Thank you sooooo much for your help Gottaride. I was having a hell of a time trying to fix this nonexistent "paper jam." I was to the point I was going to head to the store for a new printer in the a.m. as I can't do my job without one. I Googled the question and you came to my rescue!

Greatly appreciated your post. Thanks again

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by cwsapphire (3/6/13 3:27 PM) reply + / -
Same message "Paper Jam" with no paper in the machine. Happened when I turned the printer on after not using it for three months.

Googled the problem and found your post very quickly.
Used your instructions and was able to clear the problem on the first try.
I thought I was going to have to call support and spend an hour on the phone.
It took only minutes to fix, and I am Not a Techie.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
CW

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by firzankhilari (3/17/13 11:38 AM) reply + / -
okay I am *terrified* of these "you have to sign up to post" things (lingering fear of, well, everybody) but the importance of this trumped all other concerns:

dear gottaride
GOD BLESS YOU FOREVER AND EVER. If your handle refers to a motorbike then I LOVE YOU EVEN MORE. In any case you saved me. A thousand thank you's and kisses.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by gottaride (3/19/13 11:28 PM) reply + / -
Hi All. It is kind of amazing that 2 years later this post is still helping folks. I'm glad it is working for you all.
Update: Our printer is still going strong.
- gottaride

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by redfin7309 (3/21/13 5:34 PM) reply + / -
pretty neat. i had trip the solution from "Gottaride (2/11/11 11:18 AM" a few times and had no success. So, my better half had to purchase a new printer to replace it. I kept the old printer in hopes I could revisit the issue and maybe have success. It road around in the back of my suv for a few months in the box...waiting to be rescued. Then I read the solution offered from "eeagle (1/15/13 9:50 PM)" and thought it might have a chance at life again. We took a roadtrip to see my dad in a neighboring state and I decided to bring it along for something to tinker with and a gift to replace my dad's if it worked again.

Well, I did not have success with the second solution from "eeagle" either. Then I tried a combination of what "Gottaride" and "eeagle" suggested...voila.

Back in action.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by westb90 (3/26/13 5:34 PM) reply + / -
Thank you thank you thank you. I was going mad because I needed something printed in a hurry. I had tried everything without success when I found this post. I pushed the ink cartridge to the right and hey presto - success!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by The.Amerzilian (4/14/13 6:40 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so very much!!! I too had the same problem.

I had just finished cleaning the print-heads and when I started the Printer again, I got the error message.
Following your post I pushed the carriage to the right (I don't have a force gauge) and held the post in the vertical position with a stick. It didn't work. I then tried holding it in a vertical position while I pushed the carriage (softly) to the left to hold the post in the vertical position while the machine powered up again. It worked Great!

Thanks for the post.

Re: Epson artisan 720 won't clear paper jam msg by carye (5/13/13 10:57 AM) reply + / -
how do i clear paper jam from my printer. there is no visible paper inside.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by FrazFrusTrated (6/20/13 1:48 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I was about to go and buy a new one.

Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by jmmguard45 (6/29/13 9:25 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much for this - I have a different Epson, an SX445W, but the problem was the same. I don't know if mine does have a little white post, I couldn't see it, but I just pushed the ink cartridge carriage to the right as hard as I could anyway. Bless you - it worked. I, too, was thinking I would have to buy a new printer and you have saved me.
Thank you, thank you, thank you

Re: Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Ary (7/22/13 10:05 AM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot. I was going crazy. This definitely worked.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by MAJgogogo (8/14/13 7:35 PM) reply + / -
It worked! This was driving me crazy for days. Such a simple solution after many attempts to remove paper from the printer that wasn't even there. Thank you sooo much!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Yetski17 (8/23/13 5:23 AM) reply + / -
can anyone send me a picture of what is the look of the post or carriage

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Yetski17 (8/23/13 6:08 AM) reply + / -
how about epson me 32..can any one teach me

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Yetski17 (8/23/13 6:13 AM) reply + / -
how about epson me 32..can any one teach me

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by kashtim (9/19/13 2:40 AM) reply + / -
I have epson XP600 and the damn thing has paper jam that i can't find.Kindly assist.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by CRLRA (12/3/13 12:54 PM) reply + / -
Copied this from someone above as it is just what I did.

"Thank you so very much!!! I too had the same problem. Powering down, unplugging, deleting queu, spraying air, shaking the machine to possibly get loose items out, and holding the power key for 3 minutes: Nothing worked. Until I tried this."

Epson said that it had to be taken in for service so we were ready to replace it with a new printer when I searched for and mount this.

Thanks again.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by bna1219 (12/4/13 8:45 AM) reply + / -
Help I had printer heads clogged so I removed the printer head to clean and reconnected the cables and now my error is printer needs to be turned off then on. Any ideas? Im about to lose it with this thing!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by GBB (1/8/14 5:31 AM) reply + / -
Thank you! I had no clue how to fix this problem. Tried your method and it worked. Thank you so much. GBB

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Patsy52 (1/9/14 11:36 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much; worked like a charm!

Re: Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by sue2009 (1/15/14 4:36 PM) reply + / -
thank you so much.. just worked perfectly.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by top stepdad (1/20/14 9:25 AM) reply + / -
Thank you very much, this has fixed our SX400. It did take two cycles of the nozzle-clean utility to restore normal printing though.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by matthewpersico (1/26/14 8:26 PM) reply + / -
I can move my ink container all the way over to the right, but the white post won't go vertical. Even when I hold it up, the jam message appears. Is the printer doomed?

Re: Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Gottaride (1/27/14 7:30 AM) reply + / -
Did you check the post from 1/15/13 by eeagle? They had to turn the paper feed gears. - gottaride

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Thanks! (2/27/14 11:49 AM) reply + / -
Thank so much for posting. Pushing the ink carriage a little more to the right was all it took.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by kjcasper (3/19/14 7:55 AM) reply + / -
I have done what Gottaride and Eagle both suggested and it still won't work. I get the post in the upright position and then the printer starts going though it's process and puts the post back down and gives me the error. Any more suggestions? My printer is not even a year old.

Re: Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Gottaride (3/19/14 10:05 AM) reply + / -
Sorry. No further suggestions.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by Murrrr (6/28/14 9:02 AM) reply + / -
As with all the other responses, thanks so much for you solution. I had the exact same problem, did what #1 suggested, problem solved. I wasn't able to find the post he talked about but it was obvious the problem was with the ink cartridges being stuck. I played with them a bit and the printer started working. I was on the verge of smashing the printer on the floor. You save me a few bucks. Thanks again.

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by nc24387 (6/29/14 4:10 PM) reply + / -
As many have said ....THANKS!! I can't say I know what really worked but between moving the lever, gears & post on the right side of cartridge, something worked!!

Re: Epson Workforce 600 won't clear paper jam message by dancerxx (11/30/14 10:42 AM) reply + / -
Works on WF-3520 too! Saved my butt! The "snap" as the cartridge seats is a bit of a shocker - but it works! thank you

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters