fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Rick4000 (10/5/10 8:59 PM) reply + / -
Hello, my printer has suddenly begun to print only blank pages. The printer appears to be printing normally except that the pages have no toner on them. I've replaced the toner cartridge but the issue still remains (plastic film was indeed removed). There's a similar issue someone with a 4100n was experiencing and they mentioned that their laser shutter arm was broken but I'm not too sure what the laser shutter looks like or where it's located. If anyone could offer some insight to this I would really appreciate it.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by dmzcompute (10/6/10 5:01 AM) reply + / -
You have to remove the top cover and the black box in the middle is the laser/scanner. The linkage on the left side of the laser/scanner controls the shutter which is below and in front of the laser/scanner.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Rick4000 (10/6/10 10:57 PM) reply + / -
Sure enough, after removing the top cover, the laser shutter linkage was broken. Is it possible to purchase one from this site? If not where would be the best place?

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by dmzcompute (10/7/10 5:28 AM) reply + / -
To be honest if you do not open the toner door much you can just remove the shutter and it should work just fine. The reason for the shutter is to prevent toner and dust to get on the scanner mirror when the toner door is opened. The shutter is always open when the toner door is closed and the cartridge installed.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Rick4000 (10/7/10 8:16 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the tip! My printer is back up and running.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Manuela (1/10/11 2:13 PM) reply + / -
I also have the same problem with my HP LaserJet 4000.
It suddenly prints blank pages (I tried 2 different toners). Have tried to find the laser shutter arm, but can't find it. I opened the top cover, removed the toner and I see nothing "shutter arm like". Please can you explain what it looks like, or if I even opened the right door! Thanks.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by moe (1/10/11 2:33 PM) reply + / -
You don't just open the top cover. You have to remove it from the printer. 2 screws in front, under the lid. 2 screws in the back. You have to disconnect the arm going to the lid by pinching the end and pulling it out of the hole. There is also a connector that you have to unplug. Laser scanner is the black box on top, shutter is on the left side of it, looking from the front.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Manuela (1/12/11 10:02 AM) reply + / -
Ok, thanks. I did it the way you explained. I found the broken parts (two pieces the same color as the housing of the printer, and 2 black parts with the code "RBI-8700 V I MII4" on it). I removed all broken parts and put the printer back together. And voila, it still does not work. Still printing only blank pages. Did I do something wrong or what else can it be? I tried it with 2 different toners. Thanks for your help.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Stephen (edited 1/12/11 10:52 AM) reply + / -
You also need to remove the "shutter" from the laser/scanner assembly.

The shutter is opened by the parts you found broken, it is mounted on the botton front of the laser/scanner.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Manuela (1/12/11 10:52 AM) reply+1 + / -
Update: I hate to admit it, but with the help of my husband, we got it done. My mistake was that I only removed the broken plastic parts, but I failed to actually take out the shutter arm (that's the long silver metal thing that runs across the width of the laser/scanner box). He also had to loosen the 4 screws on that black box to lift it up a little at the front, so that he could get to that metal thing.
Now the printer works nicely again. I'm so happy!

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Manuela (1/12/11 10:52 AM) reply-1 + / -
Update: I hate to admit it, but with the help of my husband, we got it done. My mistake was that I only removed the broken plastic parts, but I failed to actually take out the shutter arm (that's the long silver metal thing that runs across the width of the laser/scanner box). He also had to loosen the 4 screws on that black box to lift it up a little at the front, so that he could get to that metal thing.
Now the printer works nicely again. I'm so happy!

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by mchldrake (2/15/11 11:58 AM) reply + / -
I have a printer that as soon as you turn it on it starts to print blank pages. I do not have it connected LPT, USB or on the network. This is all trying to do self-test. I am not sending any print tests to it . it just starts printing blank pages to the printer. Any ideas

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by moe (2/15/11 1:39 PM) reply + / -
The pickup roller release solenoid is stuck. You have to take the printer off of the tray and then take the tray apart to access it. Just scrape off the goo under the release plate and replace it with a piece of sticky back felt like this http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/tools/S97
If you need a manual to figure out how to take it apart, there's one in our reference section.

Re: Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by smithwold (9/10/12 3:16 PM) reply + / -
The "trick" I used was to straightened out a paper clip and form a 180 deg bend of about 1/4 inch. I hooked the loop of the clip around the small flat metal tab at the end of the shutter on the left side. By pulling on the paper clip upwards, the shutter rotated down, thereby opening it. Then, I bent the other end of the paper clip onto the top of the printer, and taped it down. Then, I closed the cover. It worked! This precludes the need to take anything apart.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by bobandelisabeth (8/18/13 3:36 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for this thread! We also found a broken shutter linkage and removed it....and our printer is fixed! Thank you Moe for explaining in detail what to do! We've had our printer for 20 years!

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by sonhosdigitais (11/13/13 7:56 AM) reply + / -
Great thread folks, it really helped me and, after removing the broken pieces and the shutter thingy, all is working well. This is still a terrific printer for my needs, this the "toyota" of the printers.

Thanks!

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by timk333 (3/19/14 3:14 PM) reply + / -
I have a customers hp laserjet 4000 printer doing the same thing. I replaced the toner cover and the laser scanner assy. but it is still printing blank pages. Formatter board?

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by dmzcompute (3/19/14 5:13 PM) reply + / -
Did you remove the shutter from the laser/scanner?

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by moe (3/19/14 5:17 PM) reply + / -
There is a black plastic arm that pivots when the cartridge is inserted. I've seen a bunch of them break, especially when the top cover hinges break. If that is broken, it won't open the shutter. If that's OK, then you should try an engine test. That would eliminate the formatter board if it prints OK. To be truthful, I've never seen a formatter board cause blank pages in any printer.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by timk333 (3/19/14 6:33 PM) reply + / -
I fixed the shutter show it stayed open. I also tried a engine test. Still blank pages. Not sure at this point what the issue is.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by moe (3/19/14 6:40 PM) reply + / -
Things I've had in the past. Customer failed to pull seal from cartridge. Transfer roller came out of its mounts and was laying in the front of the printer. Otherwise, it's a lack of high voltage. Could be contacts, could be a bad controller board.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by timk333 (3/19/14 6:58 PM) reply + / -
I think your right about the controller board. I notice every time I try to print a config page I get a 13.0 paper jam. then I open and close the toner cover, then I get 1 blank page to print. time to call hp tech support for advise.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Stephen (3/19/14 7:41 PM) reply + / -
HP Tech support will charge too much and help too little.

You can probably find a used 4000 for less, I have one with a busted top cover that is now my spare parts machine.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by moe (3/19/14 11:12 PM) reply + / -
Let's try one more thing. Print a page from the Manual Feed tray.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by timk333 (3/20/14 8:40 AM) reply + / -
Tried that. same blank page. Then I opened the cover again and discovered that the shutter had slipped shut. tested again and BAM!, it's printing ok now. thanks for your help.

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 Printing Blank Pages by Tickerguy (4/30/14 12:43 PM) reply + / -
To fix this (blank pages, otherwise appears to be ok):

The issue is as noted the shutter. There is a black plastic piece that is "triggered" by the toner cartridge to open it. This often either slips off its linkage (put it back) or breaks.

If it's broken or won't stay back there's a 30-second fix:

1. Remove the top cover. Unsnap the lever from the toner cover (the one that rotates on its hinge; it's the white plastic piece that extends out of the printer. It just presses out.

2. Remove the side cover on the right side; it just pulls back.

3. Remove the 4 top cover screws; two on the top under the toner cover, two on the rear under the rear paper guide cover. Remove the toner cartridge.

4. Carefully unsnap and lift the top cover off. Note the cable to the front panel board must be removed, so don't pull up hard or you'll break that cable or connector. Disconnect the panel connector and set the top cover aside.

5. The shutter is the silver metal piece that has a lever on the left side; the black lever behind it is the trip. If it's out of place, put it back. If it's BROKEN, remove the broken pieces, then use a small zip tie around the metal actuating arm on the shutter and the plastic adjacent to hold it open.

Reassemble, you're done and it will work. The shutter only serves to keep dust out of the assembly when a cartridge is not in the printer. The rest of the time it's open, so it is not necessary unless you move the printer around with the cartridge out.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters