fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Help with HP Officejet K80

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Help with HP Officejet K80 by hitech444 (7/13/09 4:40 AM) reply + / -
Please,
Could somebody help me with a problem I have with an HP Officejet K80? It was working OK but it was stored vertically on its right side with the cartridges in. There is ink coming out of the right bottom as well as from the right back side. Are there any electronics over there? I would like to open the left side and clean it thorougly but it doesn't seem to open. I have managed so far to take out the landing carpet of the inks which I cleaned. I'll try to put it back. I also have took off and cleaned the back cover (for paper jam). So far I haven't try to switch it on because I'm afraid.
HP said it doesn't repair it any more, so any help will be greately appreciated.

Tnx

Re: Help with HP Officejet K80 by Bert (7/13/09 4:38 PM) reply + / -
If you want the Deskjet 900 Series Disassembly Procedure email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name. The print mechanism is identical to the Officejet K80.

Officejet K80, cleaning the service station

If you have an ink spill
Use a garden hose adjusted to a slow trickle to wash the ink out of the mechanism after the service station is removed. Have some latex gloves handy once the case is removed. Avoid getting water on the electronics boards, motors, and carriage (not difficult). Dry the mechanism before reassembly. I use a sunny place.

Tools Needed
T10 Torx head driver
Medium slot style screwdriver

Preliminary
Open the cover and allow the carriage to center, then unplug the power.

Removing the outer case
1. Open the carriage access door and remove six screws, four silver and two black.
2. Remove the end covers by releasing two latches on each. They unlatch identically. On either cover, pry under the flange on the front, just below the scanner, with a slot style screwdriver. The first latch will release. Pry under the flange where the front most silver screw went through. The second latch will release. The end covers will now be loosened but will not readily slip off (horizontally). Some coaxing will be necessary.
3. Remove the cartridge access door assembly. Viewed from rear, there are two slots about 3/8” long. Insert a slot style screwdriver into one of them and pry downward while pulling upward on the door assembly. The assembly will partially release. Pry similarly in the other slot and the rear of the assembly will completely release. Pull upward and the latches in front will release and the assembly will come free.

Removing the scanner
1. Unplug all of the cables coming from the scanner that go to electronics board. Take note of how the ribbon cables plug because they can be rotated 180 degrees.
2. Remove the two screws securing the scanner. They are in the cartridge access area. Also remove the screw securing the green wire to the printer body.
3. Pull the scanner straight back and it will come free of the printer. Some wiggling will be necessary.

Removing the inner case
1. Remove four screws; one at each corner, and the case will lift off.

Removing the service station
1. Unplug the connector from the carriage drive motor.
2. Unplug the connector from the main electronics board.
3. Viewed from the front, remove the red screw from right side of the service station.
4. Remove the screw in the vertical frame to the right of the carriage drive motor.
5. Remove the screw in the vertical frame to the left of the belt tensioner.
6. Looking from the top, remove the two screws going through the carriage rod.
7. The vertical frame will now hinge up and come free of mechanism.
8 Looking from the front, there is a large latch on the right side of the service station. The wiring obscures it. Using a slot style screwdriver, release the latch and the service station will rotate CCW and lift out. Unplug the motor connector to free the service station from the mechanism.

Cleaning the Service Station.
1. Remove the service station motor by removing one screw.
2. Scrap as much congealed ink as possible from the service station.
3. Immerse the service station in hot water to dissolve the remaining ink. This will take a while but after a few rinsings nearly all of the ink will be removed.

Other things that should be done
1. Clean the carriage rod with plastic polish, available at auto parts stores. Its fast and does a great job. I use Meguiar’s.
2. Clean the encoder strip on both sides with a diluted mild cleaner.
3. Clean the feed rollers with water.
4. Replace the carriage rod lubrication/cleaning felts if you find them, 2 req'd (P/N C6409-80003). Otherwise clean them with a mild diluted cleaner, rinse and let dry, then apply Tri-Flow (get it at a cycle shop). If you cannot get Tri-Flow use a very low viscosity plastic friendly oil

Bert

Re: Help with HP Officejet K80 by carcavelos (1/14/10 4:14 PM) reply + / -
HP OfficeJet K80 All-In-One InkJet Printer
I changed the fax header and must of done something to change type settings.
printer prints regular print when I do a print report, but when printing from computer it prints alongside paper and on top symbols and random letters.
can you help?
thanks, David

Re: Help with HP Officejet K80 by J B (4/29/10 6:35 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP K 80. I only use it to send or receive faxes in Black. I keep getting an error message that says, "Remove and check color cartridge". I removed it and it look clean. It may be dry I can't tell. But in the mean time the machine will not let me send a fax or print a report.

Is there any way to by pass this error message and continue to send faxes. I'm not even sure if it will work if I replace the color cartridge. They are not cheap.

Re: Help with HP Officejet K80 by lynn watson (12/17/10 2:09 PM) reply + / -
my problem is the color copies are reflecting what appears to be dragmarks. i purchased new cartriges and installed them reducing the problem some. what can i do next?Thanks Lynn

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters