fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Brother MFC-685CW how to get wireless working

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Brother MFC-685CW how to get wireless working by carolb4 (4/30/09 3:57 PM) reply + / -
This is my set-up. I have a Brother printer MFC-685CW that is currently directly (wired) connected to my desktop. I am trying to get it wirelessly connected to my laptop with no success. I have a Motorola Router WR850G and a D-Link DWL-800AP+ range extender. These allow my laptop to be wireless. So.... how in the world do I get the printer to be wireless. I have followed the directions in the manual and quick start guide of the printer but am not successfull after 10 or more hours devoted to the project. Please provide detailed directions.

Re: Brother MFC-685CW how to get wireless working by farb (4/30/09 5:21 PM) reply + / -
Do you know your wireless security settings like

SSID
Authentication (open system/shared key)
Encryption (WEP/WPA)
??

If so, it's easy to set up.
Here:

To setup the Brother machine using a Wireless connection follow the steps listed below:

Verify the Wireless Router or Access Point is setup for DHCP. This setting is required in order for the router or access point to broadcast a valid IP address to the device. Please refer to the user guide of you wireless router or access point for additional information.

Unplug the Brother machine from the AC power for approximately 30 seconds and then plug it back in. If the Brother machine was previously configured for a wireless connection, continue to Step 3. If the machine was NOT configured for wireless connection, continue to Step 4.

If the Brother machine was previously configured for a wireless connection the network settings need to be reset before the unit can be configured for new wireless settings.

Press Menu and select LAN, Factory Reset. Press the Up or Down arrow key or "1" or "+" to select Yes. The machine will restart automatically.

CautionResetting the network card will erase all current network settings.When the LCD returns to the date and time or copy mode, wait about 1 minute and then press Menu and select LAN, Network I/F.

Press the up or down arrow key to select WLAN (wireless connection).

Press OK.

If "Reboot OK?" is displayed, press the up or down arrow key to select Yes. The machine will restart automatically. If "Accepted" is displayed, press Stop/Exit.

When the Brother machine returns to standby mode (date and time), press Menu and select LAN, Setup WLAN, and Setup Wizard.

The machine will search for your network and display a list of available SSIDs (Service Set ID or Network name).

NoteIf the machine finds more than one network press the up or down arrow key to select your network and then press OK.Select the Authentication setting for your Wireless Router or Access Point requires by following the steps listed below:

If your Wireless Router or Access Point does NOT require Authentication or Encryption press the up or down arrow key to select Open System. Press OK and then press the up or down arrow key to select None for Encryption Type. Press OK and then Yes to apply your settings. Continue to Step 16.

If your Wireless Router or Access Point does NOT require Authentication with WEP Encryption press the up or down arrow key to select Open System. Press OK and then press the up or down arrow key to select WEP for the Encryption Type and press OK. Continue to Step 11.

If your Wireless Router or Access Point requires Authentication with WEP Encryption press the up or down arrow key to select Shared Key and then press OK. Continue to Step 11.

If your Wireless Router or Access Point requires Authentication with WPA Encryption press the up or down arrow key to select WPA / WPA2-PSK and then press OK. Continue to Step 13.

Press the up or down arrow key to select Key1 and press OK.

Enter the WEP Key that is required for your Wireless Router or Access Point. To manually enter the text, see Entering Text on the Network Uesr's Guide.

Select the Encryption type, TKIP or AES using the up or down arrow key. Press OK. Continue to the next step.

Enter the password and press OK. Continue to the next step.

Press OK when you have entered all the characters and then select Yes to apply your settings.

NoteIf you are using more than one WEP Key press the [up], [down] and OK to enter additional WEP keys.

The Brother machine will try to connect to the wireless network using the information that was entered. If successful, "Connected" will appear briefly on the LCD. Continue to the next Step.

HintA four level indicator on the right of your machine's LCD shows the wireless signal strength.Unplug the Brother machine from the AC power out for approximately 30 seconds and then plug it back in. This will allow the machine to automatically acquire the correct TCP/IP address information from your Wireless Router or Access Point if DHCP is enabled (DHCP is normally enabled as default for most access point and routers).

Once the Brother machine is joined to the network and has a valid IP address the wireless setup is complete.

Re: Brother MFC-685CW how to get wireless working by Kyle Parish (1/17/12 11:40 PM) reply + / -
unplug the printer for at least 30 seconds. Plug it back in and turn it on. Push the "Menu" button. Arrow down to "LAN" and push the right arrow button. Arrow down to "WLAN". Arrow down to "Setup Wizard" and press the right arrow button. After the printer searches for your network arrow down to it. If you don't have a password on your network arrow up to "Open System" and press the right arrow. Select None if you have no encryption type. Press the right arrow. On "Apply Settings" press 1 on the keypad.

If you have a password on your network, arrow down to "Shared Key" after getting past the "Setup Wizard" and push "OK". Then put in the password using the keypad on the left of the printer. Press "OK". That will connect your printer to the network. Then you have to recognize your printer on your computer. I haven't used windows in a long time, but I believe you click the printer option in "Control Panel". On a Mac you click on "System Preferences" on the dock. Click on "Print & Fax". Click on the + sign at the bottom, select the Brother 685cw and click on "Add". Press "Continue" and you're done.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters