fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP LaserJet Printer out of memory

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP LaserJet Printer out of memory by ricksaint (edited 3/16/09 11:14 AM) reply + / -
My HP dv7 laptop running Vista, is connected to a Laserjet 5L HP printer. I get an "out of memory" message when I send a 430 Kb Microsot Publisher document to the printer. However if I send only part of the document (20 out of 30 pages), it will print.

I increased the size of the virtual (paging) memory to 20,000 meg but it doesn't help.

Do I need to add memory (RAM) to the printer?

Thanks.

Re: HP LaserJet Printer out of memory by ricksaint (3/16/09 11:16 AM) reply + / -
Anyone?

Re: HP LaserJet Printer out of memory by moe (3/16/09 11:18 AM) reply + / -
If you're just printing text, reduce the dpi setting in Control Panel to 300dpi. This will virtually quadruple the printer memory. You won't notice the difference in quality.

Re: HP LaserJet Printer out of memory by ricksaint (3/16/09 11:41 AM) reply + / -
I found this on the HP web site:
HP has a Windows Vista driver solution available for your product. This driver will enable your product's basic function to work.

"Basic function" ?! Does that mean the driver shouldn't be expected to give full functionality to the printer?

Re: HP LaserJet Printer out of memory by ricksaint (edited 3/16/09 12:12 PM) reply + / -
I am printing a document with lots of graphics. I tried 300 dpi but it doesn't look good.

Re: HP LaserJet Printer out of memory by sonicD (5/16/09 9:09 AM) reply + / -
I'm fighting this problem as well, just as I fought with 5L when it was connected to an xp box.
I'm never going to buy another HP printer again.
Seriously, if they don't want to support their old hardware, that's fine by me. But why would they pretend to support 5L in Vista, when they actually don't (as the drivers provided with vista don't work properly)? To me it's lying to customers.

Re: HP LaserJet Printer out of memory by Stephen (5/17/09 4:33 AM) reply + / -
You can add more memory to a 5L. There are a few modules available on eBay today.

Re: HP LaserJet Printer out of memory by Anonymous (5/19/09 6:47 AM) reply + / -
Before you buy more memory, try using the HP6L printer driver on your HP5L, it comes on the XP disc - don't know about Vista though. You should be able to select it from within windows itself. I use it and it works even when using the highest 600 dpi resolution setting. David

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters