fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Canon timing slit strip replacement??

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Canon timing slit strip replacement?? by hstrygrl (12/29/08 10:19 AM) reply + / -
My 18-month-old ripped out the timing slit strip in our Canon ip4200. The repair shop wants $70 / hour to fix the thing, but I don't have that to spend after Christmas. All we can find in the manual is to "replace the timing slit strip", but it doesn't say how, or what it attaches to. The only way I knew what the dang thing was is by looking up the part number. Anyway, can anyone help me reattach this thing? I know I'll probably have to order a new one (he folded it), but I'd just like to know how to fix it!!! Thanks so much!

Re: Canon timing slit strip replacement?? by moe (12/29/08 2:38 PM) reply + / -
You might be able to get away with repairing it, if you can flatten it straight again. The tension should pull it mostly straight after it's reattached. I repair them all the time (you think your kid is the first to do it?). Wrap a few turns of clear tape around the torn end. Slice a new rectangular hole in the tape. You want to use the clear tape, not the lightly frosted kind as it is stronger. If you look at either end of the printer, you should be able to see the metal hooks the strip attaches to. Then it's just a matter of threading the strip through the back of the carriage assembly. What you are looking for is a U shaped piece of plastic. One side of the U contains an LED, the other a photo cell. The carriage moves along the strip and this combination counts the lines and determines position that way. You might have to remove the cover to gain access. I don't know how to do that, but if it were in front of me I'd have it off in a couple minutes even though I have no manual.

Re: Canon timing slit strip replacement?? by trigger1937 (12/29/08 6:20 PM) reply + / -
hstrygrl,... Moe is correct in his driection on how to re-attach the timing strip. However, you really need to get the covers off to get at the metal tab springs that hold the timing strip in place.

Send me an email with your address and I can send you a picture of what you need to do. I will also send you information on how to get my Repair Manual that will show you exactly how to take the covers off and how to replace the timing strip.

Re: Canon timing slit strip replacement?? by hstrygrl (12/30/08 6:03 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much! Being a teacher and scrapbooker, I am dying without my printer. I will show my husband this message, and we will go from there. Thanks again :)

Re: Re: Canon timing slit strip replacement?? by Simpak (6/8/10 12:50 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

Can you send me the picture of how to reinstall the slit strip?

thanks and more power..

Re: Canon timing slit strip replacement?? by Piekaboo (10/17/11 6:16 PM) reply + / -
Does anybody still have the instructions for reinstalling the slit strip. This is a great printer and was going strong until a two year old got hold of it. Thanks!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters