fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by wtvreeland (12/23/08 1:29 PM) reply + / -
Need help with identifying the source of my problem with a HP PSC 2410 All In One. When I turn the printer on, a clicking noise from the carriage occurs that continues for over a minute and then stops. The on light blinks constantly. Unable to print, copy, or scan - and no error messages come up on the display. I have cleaned all accessible components and did a retest (# 6). Unable to print a test page from front panel or using HP Director Printer Settings.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by moe (12/23/08 1:52 PM) reply+1 + / -
Are you sure it's not the scanner trying to drive through the right side of the printer? Open the lid and watch it. If that's the case, it's trying to find the home position but can't because the mirrors below it are covered with dust.

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Anonymous (12/23/08 2:32 PM) reply + / -
You are describing what's been happening to my 2410 - same symptoms as wtvreeland. Dust is almost certainly my problem too, but how do I get to those mirrors?

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by moe (12/23/08 3:02 PM) reply+1 + / -
You need a #10 Torx driver to take the top off. You have to pop off the control panel overlay by prying it and then there's a tricky latch below the black button. You push a small flat bladed screwdriver in it and that releases the control panel so you can slide it off. There's a ribbon cable you have to disconnect. Take all the screws out and lift the top off. Then you use a dry cotton swab to clean the mirrors under the scanner lamp. Also clean the white strip on the underside of the glass as that is the strip it homes on.

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Anonymous (12/23/08 9:17 PM) reply + / -
thanks tons for that - did everthing advised but it hasn't solved the problem; there actually didn't seem to be much dirt there, is there any other possible cause for the scanner to be unable to detect home?

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Anonymous (12/24/08 3:26 AM) reply + / -
Moe, thanks for the input. I'll give it a try this morning and let you know what I find.

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Anonymous (12/24/08 7:48 AM) reply + / -
Moe, you're a genious. I followed your instructions removing the front panel and cleaning the underside of the glass. This resolved the "clicking noise" and the printer/copier is now back funtioning. Thanks a zillion for your input. When I put everything back together and started the unit back up, I now notice that the front panel display is now blank and shows no messages, not even the HP logo? Did I disturb something linked to the display when I removed the front panel to gain access to the underside of the glass? Everything else appears normal with the exception of the printer display screen?

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Bert (12/24/08 8:15 PM) reply + / -
Make sure that the flat cable going to the display is connected solidly on both ends. If you unplugged it be aware that some styles can replugged incorrectly, i.e. rotated 180 degrees which gives no electrical contact.

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by wtvreeland (12/25/08 3:21 AM) reply + / -
Bert, thanks for the reply - I reconnected the cable before putting the front panel back on but must have done so incorrectly.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by bcrocker (12/27/08 1:38 PM) reply + / -
Hi moe and Bert, I jumped into this dialogue above at: 12/23/08 2:32 PM, and at: 12/23/08 9:17 PM - hope I didn't confuse anyone. Now that wtvreeland is fixed I wonder if I could trouble you to think about my last above, where I ask if there are any other possible causes for the printer losing its home position. I've done the cleaning you suggested and it made no difference. Any ideas very much appreciated.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by moe (12/27/08 6:14 PM) reply + / -
I've gone back and cleaned them after one of my techs had done so. The second deeper cleaning I did fixed it. I've seen them where it didn't seem that there was much dust on the mirrors, yet they were fixed by cleaning. I've also seen them with obvious dust buildup. There's really nothing else you can do to fix them. As you can see wtvreeland was successful as were a lot of other people on other threads.

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Anonymous (2/27/10 9:02 PM) reply + / -
please help me and tell me exactly how to do this.

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by moe (2/28/10 8:35 AM) reply + / -
Sure, I'll help. Read the thread and it tells you exactly how to do it.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Anonymous (3/10/10 7:20 AM) reply + / -
Great.. Fixed the issue for me.. 2nd attempt of cleaning that is !

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Anonymous (3/15/10 5:18 PM) reply + / -
Had the same problem, did a reset and unplugged the actual power pack and it worked fine.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Anonymous (4/29/10 1:40 AM) reply + / -
Moe, you're a genious. I followed your instructions removing the front panel and cleaning the underside of the glass. This resolved the "clicking noise" and the printer/copier is now back funtioning. Thanks a zillion for your input. When I put everything back together and started the unit back up, I now notice that the front panel display is now blank and shows no messages, not even the HP logo? Did I disturb something linked to the display when I removed the front panel to gain access to the underside of the glass? Everything else appears normal with the exception of the printer display screen

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by JoeKid93 (9/6/10 5:10 PM) reply + / -
You actually don't have to open up the printer and what not. All you have to do is:
Step 1: Unplug power Cord
Step 2: Hold the # and 3 while you plug it in
Step 3: After it shows saying "Partial Reset" unplug it
Step 4: Hold the "Cancel" button while plugging it back in
Step 5: Just reset the printer again and you are done

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Blalckstone1913 (4/8/11 5:12 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Moe. Your advice fixed my problem. By way of information I did not disconnect the ribbon cables. I just undid the 2 screws that were hidden underneath the slide panel and then taped the panel roughly back in place and removed the remaining 3 screws and lifted the glass frame back and supported it . As someone else wrote, the mirror looked really clean but I used cotton buds and alcohol and cleaned the mirror and it corrected the problem.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by simonep (5/1/11 6:53 AM) reply + / -
Joekid93 you are amazing! I was online looking at prices to buy a new printer as I had this stupid clicking problem ever since I had a power cut. It was driving me mad, and I hated the idea of dumping my HP PSC2410 printer/scanner/fax as it has served me very well for over 7 years! All is well now, thanks

Re: HP PSC 2110 clicking noise problem by mocambo (5/31/11 5:00 PM) reply + / -
I have a hp psc 2110 all in one making grinding noises, I open the scanner lid top and I clean the glass inside and outside and also the mirrors and I don't see any changes still same noises. please any help

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by rdorr (5/31/11 7:42 PM) reply + / -
Hello,
My mirror did not look dirty but I cleaned them with a cotton bud and alcohol, but when re-assembled, problem was still there. So I dis-assembled printer again, and cleaned the mirror again (even though it did not look dirty) and it has worked fine since. As someone else has posted "the mirror may not look dirty but carefully and thoroughly clean it". However since fixing my problem, someone else posted a printer key routine that fixed the problem and did not require any dis-assembly. Have a look at the posts over the past six months on this problem and you should find the post.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by blackstone1913 (5/31/11 7:50 PM) reply + / -
Mocambo, I had a look for and found the post by JoeKid93 which I have pasted below.
Give it a try and post your result to this forum.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by JoeKid93 (9/6/10 5:10 PM) reply + / -
You actually don't have to open up the printer and what not. All you have to do is:
Step 1: Unplug power Cord
Step 2: Hold the # and 3 while you plug it in
Step 3: After it shows saying "Partial Reset" unplug it
Step 4: Hold the "Cancel" button while plugging it back in
Step 5: Just reset the printer again and you are done

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by Lil Bit (6/21/11 8:24 AM) reply + / -
thank you so much everyone. I got this printer and thought I was never going to be able to use it. Your genious. I really appreciate all the posts but I did follow Moe to the T. and it fixed it :-)

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by svsdiamonds (9/8/11 5:20 PM) reply + / -
Thank goodness for the advice by Moe!! I have not had to fire up my printer in months because I was working in the office and turned it on to print some forms and to my dismay the "clacking" noise and flashing hour glass had me befuddled...

Did not want to invest in a new printer since I rarely use it as of late and all this fix cost me was $6 for the Torx Screwdriver from Home Depot :)

I will say the only step missing was the release latch for the cover/door to access that last screw before the top will come off. I also found there was no need to detach the ribbon, I had enough access without having to do that.

One question..does the scanner cartridge remove from the track? I could not get it to release so I had to place a mirror underneath so I could see the mirrors I needed to clean...LOL

Thanks again, and I will bookmark this thread if the problem arises again!

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by mtcmcmahon (9/9/11 9:41 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem, the hourglass on ALL the time, and a clunking noise. I took the top off, cleaned the glass and white strip. I did this 3 times, but still it wouldn't work .
Finally... before I threw the machine out the window, I decided to give it a thorough cleaning. I couldn't get the scanner cartridge off the track. I could lift up one side but was afraid to force it up. I cleaned the bulb, wires, bits and pieces and under the cartridge really well.
This time it finally worked. For how long, I don't know. Try holding 9 and # down at the same time for a full reset. Also try holding the cancel button down and then opening the lid. Maybe plug out, plug back in again. Hold down cancel AS SOON as you plug it back in again, for the until the booting up noise stops.
These are all the options I tried. Other forums had people who fixed their machines in 10 minutes, it took me hours and numerous different ways of doing it.

Good luck.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by JayWalker (10/6/11 9:27 AM) reply + / -
I have two problems with my unit. One is the clicking noise, where I can watch the scanner carriage try to blow through the right side of the printer, and clearly not finding home. I will try once again to clean the mirrors, per the various posts. The other is that the display shows the HP logo and hourglass briefly, and then turns dark and remains that way. If I use any of the reset procedures, the messages, like 'partial reset' display on the screen, which is then lit up. The fact that the logo and messages appear tells me that the ribbon cables are connected properly, and that the screen itself is working and not burned out. Why it should turn dark, however, remains a mystery.

Any responses are appreciated.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by willyb9236 (5/25/12 3:55 PM) reply + / -
It worked, Moe! As you said a little tedious getting the control panel to slide forward and I didn't remove the white tape wiring but was able to clean the mirror (a thin shiny strip on the top that has been unscrewed and lifted off, for us novices).
THANKS>>>>

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by coalman (6/15/12 6:52 AM) reply + / -
Moe, you saved my life late at night on something due the next day - followed the steps (ancient version, I broke the lugs on the control panel, but strictly my fault at 2 a m) but in 45 minutes I was up and running. Many thanks for a fix that works!

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by moe (6/15/12 10:41 AM) reply + / -
Kids, always wait until the last minute! My daughter used to wait until the morning it was due to print her stuff. I had to make a few drives to the shop to grab a working printer when our home printer wouldn't print her school work. There was no time to fix it. Fortunately, it's less than 10 minutes round trip.

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by rtuser (11/8/12 7:02 AM) reply + / -
I tried repowering with the various # and number combinations and it did not help. I then followed Moe's steps from '08 and got the printer apart. I recommend looking at the pictures linked in this thread (http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/36708) on 4/8/07 by icez before trying to take your printer apart. I cleaned the mirrors on the bottom of the scanner. I also gave the glass a good cleaning front and back. Got it all back together and was surprised when the queued documents started to print. After they came out, the printed asked to print a diagnostic page, which I let it. This may have been caused by me switching the black printer cartridge earlier in the troubleshooting. Thanks for the help! Saved me from buying a new printer!!

Re: HP PSC 2410 clicking noise problem by anyno (9/9/13 7:38 PM) reply + / -
Tried resetting it but did not work, so I cleaned it and that did the trick. Cleaned the glass and mirrors as recommended, and it worked. I Had to clean them twice.

You will need to take the cover off of the scanner trolley. You will do that targeting a couple small slots on the left side of the trolley, near the light bulb. You will need to stick a screw driver in the slots and push to the right to pry up the lid. The lid pivots on the right side of the trolley.

When you open it, also clean the reader on the right side of the trolley (looks like glass, not mirror)

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters