fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by completelylost (10/14/08 9:14 AM) reply + / -
First, I have to admit that I am not experienced at fixing printers. I have been trying to find a fix for this for weeks and I am completely lost.

I have had my printer for a couple of years and up until now I have been completely happy with it. It started out with a lot of wrinkled pages now it is jamming very often and wrinkling almost all of the pages and they are very large wrinkles.

The only thing I have every replaced is the cartridge.
When I printed the print settings it says
PF KITMP is at 100%
PF KIT1 is at 85%
Fuser is at 80.3%
Laser is at 80.3%
Drum is at 98.3%

Page count is 19685

Can someone please give me an idea of where to start?
Thanks

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by fishyink (10/14/08 10:29 PM) reply + / -
look at the fuser rollers see if ther smooth or wrinkly if ther gone wrinkly might need new fuser(located at back of m/c). try fresh paper out of a new ream. clean the feed rollers. try stoping the machine before the paper hits the fuser to see if its crinkled before the fuser or after the fuser, help narrow it down

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by completelylost (10/15/08 11:59 AM) reply + / -
The rollers are definitely wrinkly. So that means I might as well replace the printer right?

The printer is only about two years old is that about average for the life of the fuser? Could I have done something wrong to cause it to go bad?

Thank you so much for your help.

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by Anonymous (5/26/09 11:33 AM) reply + / -
Probably is your paper. If it is a low grade, maybe recycled or has been exposed to a lot of humidity, that can cause the problem. Also, if you've been printing A LOT at one time, that can cause the printer to be overheated and start causing the wrinkles. The same thing happened to me. Look at the paper specs for this printer and see if the paper you're using complies. It is definitely NOT a problem with your fuser, drum, toner, etc. that shows on your stats page. Good luck - hope this helps....

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by Dougpatton (5/26/09 1:12 PM) reply + / -
I have a 4500dn that will not print when I send a message to print. It does print the test pages and configuration page. It sends a message that the lower tray is out of paper. The lower tray which has legal size is full? Any ideas?

Doug Patton

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by randomhelper a/k/a a (5/26/09 2:37 PM) reply + / -
Hi there -

I'm not familiar with that model, but sounds like it might be a setting in your print menu. You may already know this, but you might have to specially select that lower paper tray to "print from" because it sounds like it's a specialty paper tray, being it's legal size paper and not 8-1/2 by 11 size paper. So...go up to "File" in the top left corner, click "Print" - this will open your print menu. Then click "Properties" - should be at the top right side of screen. Then click "Advanced" and you'll see another menu where you'll see the "Paper size" option. This should hold your answer/solution. Make sure the paper size selected is "legal" or whatever measurement applies. OR in the print menu it might say "Preferences" instead of properties. If so, you would select the "Paper/Quality" tab at the top. This let you see which paper tray your computer is telling your printer to print from. It will say "Paper Source" and you tell it which tray you want it to print from. Lastly, and I know this is fundamental, but make sure that printer is set as your "default printer" - just to make sure. Okay. See if any of that works. If not, write me back. Good luck! Hope that solves your problem! :-)

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by gthomas (2/7/10 6:06 AM) reply + / -
my 5250dn got a paper jam and now the paper tray wont go up to the rollers anymore. There seems to be a plastic (black) peice
thats is in the way keeping it from going up all the way to the rollers. Any Ideas becuase I don't know how it was positioned before the jam. Thanks

Re: Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by Anonymous (2/7/10 10:24 AM) reply + / -
Hello - what does the black plastic piece look like? What shape is it? Can you describe it? Is it on the pull-out paper tray itself??

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by cilarkin (3/11/10 2:25 PM) reply + / -
I am having the same problem with crinkled paper. I called Brother and they convenienced me that it was the Drum. After replacing the Drum, I find that the problem is still there. The fuser roller is not smooth and is wrinkled looking.

I printed out my stats and they are as follows:

PF KITMP 94.8$
PF KIT 1 51.9%
Fuser 43.7%
Laser 43.7%
Drum 99.9%

Please let me know what you think. I don't want to have to replace something else that may not be the problem.

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by randomhelper a/k/a a (3/11/10 2:42 PM) reply + / -
Well, your stats on the machine parts look good and should be in good operating condition. I have had the crinkled paper issue before too. Sometimes it's actually the paper. If it has too much humidity, it can do that. Try buying a NEW pack of paper and see what happens. Also, if I've been overworking my printer all day, it can get too hot and do the same thing. Let me know if any of this info solves the problem. :-)

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by Douglas Lyon (4/11/10 4:14 AM) reply + / -
Hi All,
Here is are things to try:

1. Use a fresh ream.

2. Take out the drum toner assembly and paper tray. Take
it outside. Blow air from a can of compressed air (or better still,
an air compressor) and really get the junk out of your printer.
Use safety glasses and DO NOT breath in toner dust. That stuff is
sub-micron and your lungs are unable to expectorate it.

3. pop the rear cover.
See the blue plastic tabs labeled #1.
Lever these up and lock in place to show #2.

4. try printing using the straight-through path.

5. Check the pressure roller and clean if dirty.

6. Replace the fixing unit.

We (brother tech support and I) went through the procedures above and
then I used the brother laser printer service manual (from the 5070) to improve the
trouble shooting procedure.

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by lyon (4/12/11 5:35 AM) reply + / -
Hi All,
I went to staples and tried printing a test page on
every brother laserprinter they had in the store.

All were wrinkled!!

Brother printers are junk.

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by nivek (4/12/11 7:39 AM) reply + / -
Yeah about 90% of the time its in the fuser lower pressure roller. In these machines they are known to get ripples in them and cuase jams or wrinkled paper.Unless the machine is heavily used they rarely last the intended life. Brother has updated the fusers so new purchases tend to last there full life. As far as the post above. Staples paper is junk. I've seen it cuase so many problems in machines its not even funny. Plus those machines are so mishandled on the showroom floor thats not really a fair comparison. Which I doubt you really did. I've been a brother ASC for 10 years and know brother makes one of the best monochrome lasers out there. Take it from me or somebody who has used one or two in his life.

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by lyon (4/12/11 9:38 AM) reply + / -
I use 24 LB hammermill and xerox laser printer paper.
Both the 5170dn and the 5240dn wrinkle like nuts.

Bother always blames the paper and the customer. Never takes responsibility and
fixes the problems.

We really should band together in a class action lawsuit.

Thanks!
- DL

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by douglaslyon (6/11/11 4:19 AM) reply + / -
Hi All,
OK, at my wits end. How do you replace
the fuser lower pressure roller? are instructions available on line?
A fuser is $169 (i.e., more than the printer is now worth).
A roller is $29 (perhaps worth it, if I can figure out how to replace it).
I think the part number is: LPR-B5240
Parts for printer are shown here:
http://www.scribd.com
And what about the upper fuser roller?
Could that be a problem too?
Brother HL-5240 HL-5250 Upper Fuser Roller UFR-B5240
- DL

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by nivek (6/12/11 9:00 AM) reply + / -
There really isnt instructions on taking the fuser apart becuase as you can see in the parts manual there is no part numbers for the parts. The part numbers you listed above are typical third party part numbers. The hot rollers are made out of metal so they dont usually cuase a problem. But if your going to rebuild the unit it wouldnt hurt to replace that and the hot roller drive gear since they tend to break alot. As far as the printers worth. Older is typically better.

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by sdedalus1 (10/1/13 11:26 PM) reply + / -
I tried all the solutions listed above and none of them worked. After eliminating humidity and substandard paper as problems, I thought my fuser was going bad because the printer was wrinkling and curling the paper so badly. However, the printer had been lightly used (though now a few years old), and the fuser was far from the end of its rated life, so this didn't seem logical.

Instead, it turns out the problem was the printer feeding too many sheets at a time (test by printing a single page and see if it picks up more than one), because the roller was sticking. See here for the fix: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/62484

Re: Brother 5250DN Wrinkled pages and lots of jams by kacenka (11/25/14 12:40 PM) reply + / -
It's the paper. I just changed my paper to a different brand and no more wrinkles!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters