fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Deane_W (10/5/08 4:21 PM) reply + / -
I have an Epson Stylus CX4450 printer. After one Black ink cartridge was expended, I bought new genuine ink cartridge from Epson. But, this ink cartridge was not recognized by printer. It gave me error message, "The installed ink cartridge is incompatible with this printer", and it asked me to replace it.

However, I found that Epson printer software (status monitor) can correctly display this new ink cartridge information, including ink type, carridge code, and production date. Another fact is that printer can still correctly recognize the old ink cartridge.

I can make sure that this problem was not caused by my operation error and the new ink cartridge was not damaged.

It sounds like a joke, Can anybody give me help? Thanks

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by brightsparkretired (1/21/09 10:46 AM) reply + / -
Hi Deane I have the same problem with my RX585 but I am using compatable inks which I should be able to. Even if I disable the computer software it dosn,t make any difference must be a faulty model (purchased from PC WORLD) I also have a R300 don,t have any problems with that. Hope someone posts u a solution that may help me as well
Tel

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Anonymous (1/21/09 12:45 PM) reply + / -
It could just be a bad chip. This is becoming more and more common. You might want to look into getting a chip resetter and use a old chip thet you reset. That is ususally the quickest way to fix the problem.

Re: Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Toma (3/12/09 4:02 PM) reply + / -
Hello Tel,

The problem with new Epson printer, is that Epson changes the firmware generation every once in a while. In addition to that, the compatible cartridges that are available today won't work for a rececnt printer even if the cartridges have the same part number. This is because Epson changes the information in the chips on the purpose to sell more cartridges.
I hve heard that through internet, your printer may receive a firmware up date and consequently the non original cartridges installed will stop working!!!
I am currently looking for a way to stop this update from been done. If you find any information, please let me know.

I know this won't correct your problem since you need to get more recent cartridges generation ( newest chips).

Best regards
Toma

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by marrickville_dave (2/11/10 1:54 AM) reply + / -
My own response to this one as of tonight is: Don't Buy Epson, Ever Again.

Having had this problem with two different Epson models I have had more than enough of them.

I suspect it is illegal anticompetitive conduct both here in Australia and probably in other jurisdictions too for them to seek to disable generic ink use - and now it turns out it disables their own ink and printer too. Well done, what a pack of geniuses!

I will be buying someone else's product from now on for sure.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by derick123456 (2/16/10 7:35 PM) reply + / -
Wow, good job, Epson! I just spend over $100 in GENIUNE Epson Ink from OfficeMax, but the Epson printer (Stylus 1400) refuses to recognise its own brand. It displays: Manufactuer Unknown. I don't think OfficeMax would sell faked Epson Ink. And I don't think the cartridge has a defect because I have tried serveral. It sounds like that Epson has intentionally done this to dirve customers away from them?!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Silver-fox (5/1/10 10:08 AM) reply + / -
I also have this problem:
Error
M T0803 Cannot recognize ink cartridges but they are Epson cartridges and very expensive!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by ArferMo (7/30/10 6:45 AM) reply + / -
I have a 1400 in which I was using a CIS then I went to change back to original Epson cartridges and the printer will not recognise any of them. I have tried two different full sets of Epson originals.

Also tried a set of compatibles and a set of everlasting refillables and the printer will not recognise any of them.

For example take all out put in one or more but not all of a set of new original Epsons and it sees each one but the colour of the cartridge is dull and full not the bright colour, but when I get all of them in they are all full colour bars but a dull coulour not the bright colours and all get a red X but only when all the cartridges are in the advanced screen shows them all as unknown.

Anyone know whats going on.

When changing the cartridges I press the button withone tear drop on it. The one with one tear drop is red so I press it the cartridge moves to the center and stops at the first unrecognised cartridge then with each press it moves to the next cartridge then to the cartridge change position where I change one or more then press it again and it checks and then gives me the 6 red x's.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by pietrzj (11/30/10 12:50 PM) reply + / -
I have this fault too.

One fix was to uninstall the s/w unplug the printer, re-install the s/w an plug in the printer when prompted. This has worked once!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by markalmighty (12/13/10 7:11 AM) reply + / -
I have same error with ArferMo. im using tx100 with ink not recognized even the original epson ink. I also tried all the reset things and nothing works. I hope someone can help us to get this fix. I also reinstalled the s/w and get an update but still same error occurs.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by oxi (1/9/11 3:13 PM) reply + / -
Hi,

I'm currently having the same problem with my hp f2400 printer. I know, it's not an epson, but the problem is the same, and lies in the same root: Planned obsolescence.

Printer manufacturers are known for overusing this technique to purposely reduce the useful lifetime of products. In printer manufacturers' case, by installing counter chips in the printers and probably in the cartridges too.

There are ways to reset these counters, either by manually operating the printers by pressing buttons in a certain order, or by making use of some softwares.

If you are not happy with planned obsolescence change your failing products for other brands, or repair them if possible by using the brand guarantee if provided, but don't give any more money to the brand. Write reviews about planned obsolescence and spread the word. That way you'll be spitting in their face, that you're not happy with their planned obsolescence based market strategy. There must be alternative economic maintenance strategies, other than degrading the overall end-users' life quality.

If you want to know more about planned obsolescence:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaybell (4/1/11 4:12 AM) reply + / -
I had the same stupid problem with my Epson printers....

I can offer a solution that WORKS!... at least it has for me for years...

When I get the 'can't recognize ink cartridge', I pull out a plain ol WHITE ERASER! take out the cartridge and use the eraser on the chip. Be sure to brush off any pieces that might be left behind. Pop the cartridge back in and hit OK. This has worked for me for years!!! I hope it works for you all.

When this printer dies... I don't think I will be buying Epson again....

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by SameThing (5/7/11 5:12 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem too with mine. We litteraly have tried EVERYTHING! It just give the sam responce everytime "iNK cARTIDGES....". So, your best bet is to buy a new one. We did(not from Epson) and it works great.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by clowder (5/24/11 7:25 PM) reply+1 + / -
i have the same problem - sort of. was using re-manufactured cartridges which were working fine until i needed to replace the black. once i did that, it printed out a document that was in memory and then gave me the 'can't recognize...' message - but only for cyan and magenta. HOWEVER, i went to the epson page and went thru the troubleshooting steps. at the end of that they list a phone number to call. my printer is out of warranty, but they didn't give me any trouble. had me try a few things and then said they would send out new magenta and cyan cartridges. free. of course i don't know what will happen once i install them, but thought maybe some of you might try calling. 567-276-4382 (U.S. only. there is another number listed for canada) good luck

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Ray the Rat (edited 6/24/11 10:10 AM) reply+2 + / -
The phone number listed above is incorrect. The number is 1-562-276-7282.

I'm having the same problem on one of my 3 1400 printers. I just installed a new set of cartridges and the printer tells me that all of them need to be replaced. The status monitor shows all 6 carts with a red X on them. No explanation is given for WHY they should be replaced.

In response to Jaybell's suggestion of cleaning the contacts with an eraser...well, this would work if the problem was due to corrosion on said contacts...no other issue will be resolved this way. Furthermore, the brand-new cartridges I installed were in their vacuum-sealed bags and no corrosion was observable on the contacts. (I started using this method in the early 70s on mainframe computer circuit boards.)

I called Epson Support and spoke with "Herbie" who had me jump through numerous hoops and then decided to send me 6 new carts. He then said that if they don't work the problem must be in the printer, not the carts. Absolutely brilliant troubleshooting logic.

I agree with "Same Thing." If this doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to pitch all 3 printers into the trash can and buy a Canon photo printer. I like their cameras (I have 3 Canon DSLRs) and I would hope their printers are as good. I've had it up to "here" with these Epson things. They all worked great for a short period of time and then started having ink-related problems. Enough is enough.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by MikeDerges (7/1/11 4:56 AM) reply + / -
Aside from the conspiracy theories they could be simple cases of dust or grime on the chips.

I recently saw a simple YouTube video detailing correctly how to fix this if it is the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI1UpzRiwCs

Hope it helps, if not keep blaming the man :)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by jaypeedee (7/2/11 1:58 AM) reply+2 + / -
I have an Epson Stylus DX4400 which gave this problem. I use the cheapest compatible cartridges I can buy.
I read a tip recommending using isopropyl alcohol on cotton buds to clean the printer contacts.
(I used vodka as a substitute because I am in a remote rural location.)
Remove the cartridge, wipe the cotton bud moistened with alcohol over the contacts behind the cartridge position and replace the cartridge.
Worked for me!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Wanda89 (7/13/11 10:40 PM) reply + / -
Hi! I have the same problem with my DX4400. I wiped the contacts with alcohol, but nothing changed :( I don't know what I may make, besides that I put my printer into the trash.
Anyone found something to resolve this problem?

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Mats Eriksson (edited 7/25/11 4:00 AM) reply + / -
I have a Epson RX585 that are using all original cartridges. Now it tells me the same, of the Magetna T0803 ink cartridges, should not be recognisable. The main gripe that I bought a whole bunch of complete 7 cartridge boxes a year back. I e 12 pieces of the Multipack one. When all cartridges are inside. I thought, since they are sealed, they will last lying on the shelf for a while, since I am not opening them. I ve opened 6 ofthem up and tried 6 of the Magenta cartridges that comes with then (the T0803) and changed all of the other colors out too, but no, it says can't recognize ink T0803. No matter how I turn it off, cleaning chip head (with isopropanol) or reinstalling drivers. All other ink cartridges, sets in and recognizes nicely, so I am not doing anything wrong. And I do have contacted Epson support by e-mail, but still haven't heard NADA from them.

So now, I've wasted at least 5 of the T0803 ones, since they probably can't be lying around waiting for next time to be swapped out. The pin inside the printer, punch a hole in the plastic underneath the cartridge, and air starts to expose the ink inside, and it will probably dry up in a month. I do not print that much that it should be emptied within a month.

The main gripe is that I can't even print out black and white text only, should one of the other color ink carts, be "out of ink" or unrecognizable in any way. Which bothers me big time. I can live without the magenta for a while.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Janet fisher (8/2/11 1:32 PM) reply + / -
Wiping the chips with a soft cloth worked for me!!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by brightonroad (9/11/11 12:38 AM) reply + / -
I had this problem and used the white eraser solution and so far it's worked for me !!!!! happy bunny:)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by stevewallet (11/5/11 1:51 PM) reply + / -
Turns out for me the light cyan cartridge was low, and printer works when I replaced it. 3 important notes:

1. printer does not tell you the "can't recognize" problem is low ink
2. printer will not recognize a low or empty cartridge once you remove it.
3. nothing else works until you solve this problem. a very poor design, if all you want to do is scan something.

we hardly ever print with this machine, because quality on plain paper is so-so and cartridges are expensive and short lived. we do all our printing on our ancient hp deskjet 5550.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by joannarusher (11/22/11 2:21 PM) reply + / -
YAY
finally have some good news on this issue of unrecognized cartridges!

Take faulty cartridge (or all of them) out.
Turn off your printer
go make cup of tea
turn back on
now
this
is
when.. you change the cartridge.
Put new one (s) in, (printer has reset itself)
press button to get going again..

did it work?

Mine did!

Hope it helps.. frustrating stuff init.
cheers!
Joanna

ps. credit to help found on a youtube video

Re: Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by joannarusher (11/22/11 2:24 PM) reply + / -
see my post,
good luck!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Frankim (11/29/11 4:02 AM) reply + / -
Joanna, your method didn't work unfortunately.

I'm so damn fed up of epson. How can they get away with this? Funnily enough, the software said "ink cartridges cannot be recognised" when there was no ink cartridges even in the printer. This tells me that the cartridges are perfectly compatible, but the software (or the printer) is programmed to tell you that they're not so that you either have to buy more ink or a new printer. I think someone needs to sue these bastards!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by JessieEK (12/1/11 10:44 AM) reply + / -
WOW. To top this all, the error window keeps popping up saying "communication error"... no explanation, or translation to "ink low" provided. My cartridges were sent from Epson when they replaced my old dead printer under warranty but kept my brand new high quantity ink cartridges. I went around and around with Margaret Caldwell, Sr. Representative in Corporate Customer Relations and she sent new cartridges, not high quantity, but I was still happy to have been remedied something. Until today. Fresh from the bags, unrecognizable.....and Jaybell's white eraser trick worked! Thanks!!!! I'll use this printer until it dies and then switch over to a Canon printer and separate Epson scanner.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by tedbarwise (12/2/11 8:48 AM) reply + / -
Bought an Epson about 18 months ago. Can't remember the model but paid about £120 for it. Had the same problem as everyone else. Returned to supplier and got a Photo px720wd. Still have the same problem with both genuine and compatibles. The only way I've found to keep it working is to leave the printer turned on. If I turn it off it won't recognise the yellow or sometimes the black or sometimes both. When I do have to turn it off to change a cartridge the problem starts again. I've found that if I open and close the top of the printer (access to the cartridge store) continuously eventually the error message stops and the printer works normally till the next time I open the lid or turn it off. Anyone else tried this?

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by tony336 (12/4/11 3:25 PM) reply + / -
The answer is to buy a chip resetter on ebay for a few dollars . Problem solved.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Lollybug (12/9/11 9:46 PM) reply + / -
Hello everyone --Add me to the bunch with the same exact problems. Have an Epson Artisan 800. I just got off phone with Epson, 2 hour technical assistance. What you all are saying was just what I suspected but took Epson's word for it that it is a hardware problem and I must ship my printer back to their service center for repair. First person stated I must buy a new set of Epson carts to fix the problem . . . Another $100! Wow, I will try the eraser or alcohol tips before I do that. The whole world is turning into a bunch of thieves! I used about 6 cartridges by head cleaning over & over, with stupid results on the nozzle check reports; would get a good report then next one would be bad with different colors not even showing up when the time before it was solid and gap free. Very erratic reports so I knew the ink could not be drying up in between reports. The InkOutlet.com compatible cartridges worked great for the first 6 AND lasted longer than the Epson ones for about 1/3 the cost! Thank goodness the six I just went through trying to solve this ridiculousness were the non-original carts, or I'd be out a lot of $. Will let you know if these fixes work. THANKS!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by AmandaWitt (edited 1/27/12 3:53 AM) reply + / -
My model TX100 suddenly won't recognise any of the 4 cartridges, after printing fine last Friday it suddenly did this in the evening. I bought a brand new set and it won't recognise them either. I tried the eraser as suggested here by someone, had a friend over to help me uninstall it and then re-install it, and nothing's worked.
I'm unemployed and really don't want to buy a new printer right now, and have a total of 8 cartridges that won't work/be recognised.

Re: Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaypeedee (1/27/12 12:56 PM) reply + / -
Hi Amanda, The failure is often caused by poor contact between the cartridge and the printer but the eraser recommendation only answers half the problem - dirt, grease etc on the cartridge. There is also the possibility of dirt on the printer contacts. It might be worth trying a cotton bud soaked in alcohol wiped over the contacts where the cartridge fits. (I used high proof vodka because that was all I had available. This is especially indicated if you have had the problem with more than one cartridge (they can't all be dirty!) Worth a try anyway - good luck!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by AmandaWitt (1/30/12 3:08 AM) reply + / -
I tried Jaypeedee's suggestion, but don't have alcohol so used another item but it still didn't work.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by sp00n (edited 2/3/12 11:19 AM) reply + / -
EDIT: I have a CX5000 btw.

Had the exact same problem today. Tried the eraser/alcohol trick, and it didn't work. Still said I was using incompatible ink, even though it was genuine Epson. So I took all of my ink cartridges out of the moving tray it sits in, hoping maybe to reset all the ink cartridges somehow, and saw a copper-colored metal clip on the bottom of the plastic piece which holds all the ink cartridges (sorry, I forget what it's called). It was hiding under my color ink cartridges. Turns out, this was one of the pins which makes contact with the chip on the ink cartridges. I looked, and noticed the place for my black ink (the one causing problems) was missing a metal contact. It must have fallen out one time when I took my black ink cart out to replace it. I picked up the metal clip off the bottom of the ink cartridge holder, and pushed it back into place alongside all the other pins. I needed some tweezers to finish pushing it down into position all the way. This fixed my problem completely.

So for any of you still having the incompatible ink problem, check to see if all your pins which make contact with the ink cartridges are still in place. If not, check in your printers(specifically in the part that holds the ink carts) to see if they fell into it somewhere, as they can clip right back in with some tweezers.

I hope this helps some of you guys out!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Lollybug (2/4/12 4:29 PM) reply + / -
Hi Spoon,

Thanks for responding to my post. I used the alcohol tip cleaning solution and it did help for awhile, but in a few days all was back to having the same problems. . .The Epson tech staff stated that other than original ink cartridges can damage the print head by breaking off pins. Would cost more to repair than a new printer. SO, I went and bought another printer. I'm not one who wants to spend a lot of time figuring out how or IF I can put parts in a sensitive electronic device. So I bought a refurbished Canon MX 882 all-in-one for ONLY $95. So far it's working great. The thing that sold me on the refurbished was the price but the finishing decision was when the salesman told me that the Canon refurbished machines are not like other companies. They stated these machines are not sent back to them for repair but are only ones with some case damage or the customer really did not like the machine because they did not know how to properly use it. Also, the printers are gone through by a human thoroughly to make sure everything works. Unlike a brand new printer off the assembly line, you could get a lemon because not every printer is checked out thoroughly. In any case, I hope these compatible ink cartridge companies can come up with a solution for us somehow or I'll be buying the expensive carts again! Hate it.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Darkprincess (edited 2/9/12 4:26 PM) reply + / -
OK, here's a wierd one. Printer is an Epson SX200 (yes, I can hear you all groaning now - another SX-series with the same old problem)

Yep - you guessed it - doesn't recognise the ink cartridges - I'm using compatibles but the epson originals won't work either - the red ink warning light on the control panel is lit. Nothing unusual so far - but check this out;

Pressing the stop/Maintenance button indicates that the cyan, yellow and black cartridges are at fault. If I replace them (or just reseat them) I get the same error again, but the peculiar thing is the sequence if I replace them one at a time, as follows;

1. remove all cartridges
2. power off the printer for a couple of minutes
3. switch it back on and wait for the ink warning
4. press Stop/Maintenance button - This indicates a problem with Cyan (the first cartridge on the left)
5. Replace Cyan cartrdge and press Stop/Maintenance, then wait for the ink warning
6. Press it again and this time it flags up the Magenta cartridge as this is the next in the sequence (note that at this point, it is not flagging up the Cyan one so I assume this is recognised OK)
7. Replace Magenta cartridge, press Stop/Maintenance and wait for the ink warning.
8. Press it again and this time it flags up Yellow - again this is exactly what you would expect (Cyan and Magenta are still looking OK at this point)
9. Replace Yellow, press Stop/Maintenance and wait for the ink warning.
10. Press it again and it flags up Black - So far, so good - it's recognising the three colours fine.
11. Replace Black cartridge and press Stop/Maintenance button. This should complete the sequence and return the carriage to the stop position, and should now be all ready for printing...

This is where it all falls over - at this point it should be all OK but the ink warning light is still on, so I press the Stop/Maintenance button again, and this time it flags up Cyan, Yellow and Black - ie. back to the original fault (not Magenta though - that seems OK)

This seems to indicate that there is something wrong with the black cartridge, but I have tried several different ones and they all give exactly the same results.

In sheer desperation, I tried replacing the black cartridge with the only other spare one I had, which was a magenta one (OK, I'm risking cross-contamination of the print head but that can be dealt with later - by now this had become an exercise in extreme diagniostics). This time, (with the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and another Magenta), the ink warning was still on, but this time it flagged up the magenta cartridge (both of them). Does this mean that each cartridge has a unique identifier on the chip, so that the printer can detect which cartridge is in which slot ?

In any case, this test moved the problem so that the Cyan and Yellow cartridges were no longer flagged as bad/empty/incompatible or whatever else Epson think the warning light means this week, but just the Magenta and the other Magenta one, which was in the black slot.

Interestingly, when I replaced the second magenta with the proper black one, the original fault returned and it is now flagging up Cyan, Yellow and Black, while the Magenta cartridge is recognised OK.

I've tried all the usual things (cleaning the chips, cleaning the printer contacts etc), but nothing I try is changing the symptoms in any way - it always goes back to the first three colours being OK until I put the black one in then it bitches about the C,Y and Black...

Any ideas ?

(aside from the obvious one of a worldwide boycott of Epson crap - it would actually be pretty cool if I could get it working somehow)

Thanks

PS. It would be really awesome if some enterprising hardware hacker out there could come up with a way of permanently disabling the cartridge checking in Epson printers as this seems to be the cause of 99% of Epson woes (and presumably walking customers)

It's interesting to see that some people have no trouble for ages then suddenly the things stop working - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Epson is doing some sort of stealthy firmware upgrade via their software updates - word of advice guys - Never, absolutely NEVER let any software updaters get access to the internet - That's what really decent firewalls are for (ie. those that let you deny access to individual programs and don't allow applications to set up their own exceptions... - Update = Break - Just Say No - Most of us are happy with the printer as it is when we buy it - we don't expect the manufacturer to deliberately break it !

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by The Elder (2/26/12 10:05 AM) reply + / -
I had an RX595 with the same problem. Worked fine for 3-4 years and then could not recognize the ink cartridges. These were new Epson genuine cartridges I purchased from Office Depot - not cheap. I tried everything recommended by the above posters and still had the same problem. I called Epson. Even though I'm out of warranty, they did try to help me, but that just involved removing all the cartridges and replacing them one at a time. They did send me 6 new ones and I got on the phone with them again. The guy on the phone asked me several times if I had "pushed them in right and heard the click". This after I've been doing this for 3-4 years! So, I'm out money for six cartridges as well as for 2 extra black ones I'd purchased with tax season coming up.

So, I've taken the printer in to be recycled and I'll get the $2 credit for each by recycling the cartridges, but it's a pretty big hit. I went out and bought an inexpensive HP printer (the ink appears to be cheaper too). I'll never by Epson again.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by shad0w (3/5/12 3:37 PM) reply + / -
if you only need to get the system to clear the error you could try placing an old cartridge in. This worked for me and I was able to a few more prints out. SX100 user.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by AmandaWitt (3/5/12 8:07 PM) reply + / -
shad0w, I've tried it with both old and new and neither will work.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by jen0andy (3/10/12 1:49 PM) reply + / -
I've found another solution. Look carefully at the position of the chip. I discovered that even a tiny misalignment of the chip (less than 1mm) can render the chip unreadable. I literally put a small piece of paper in the gap to realign the chip and all is now well! Providing the paper is in firmly and is small enough not to get in the way of the chip or the pins all may now work! I tried all the above solutions to no avail, but when I tried this one it worked. SX405 user. These were genuine cartridges but presumably shoddy workmanship - happened with 2 cartridges in a row.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by WinfieldZenith (3/13/12 4:23 AM) reply + / -
I think you should only use the cartridge that can originally put in the printer in the first place. Thanks!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by chicky (3/21/12 4:55 PM) reply + / -
Hi had the same problem with my Epson Artisan 50. I purchased new ink installed, didn't recognize. Said I still needed ink. Went back to store exchanged ink, installed and same problem. Finally called the 562 area code support line. They walked me through the problem and my printer is working great. I always thought that I had to replace all the cartridges when it said I needed ink, but no. She said the arrow stops at the color when you open the door, that is the only color u have to replace.

So if u have a problem, call the support line. It's free and it will keep you from having to go buy a new printer, Epson or any other brand.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by node (3/27/12 7:47 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Jaybell for following. It worked for me!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaybell (4/1/11 4:12 AM) reply + / -
I had the same stupid problem with my Epson printers....

I can offer a solution that WORKS!... at least it has for me for years...

When I get the 'can't recognize ink cartridge', I pull out a plain ol WHITE ERASER! take out the cartridge and use the eraser on the chip. Be sure to brush off any pieces that might be left behind. Pop the cartridge back in and hit OK. This has worked for me for years!!! I hope it works for you all.

When this printer dies... I don't think I will be buying Epson again....

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by (; (4/17/12 6:28 PM) reply + / -
. Tried everything here and it still does NOT work

NEVER BUYING EPSON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by spookydirt (4/25/12 11:15 AM) reply + / -
I was having trouble with the 'does not recognise' error warnings..

i unplugged the printer for ten minutes, then i wiped the contacts of the EPSON cartridges with wet wipes/baby wipes, and that made it recognise them again. Absolutely the last time I'm buying Epson.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by A. Rayner (4/28/12 10:58 AM) reply + / -
I have just changed my ink cartridges on my Epsom Stylus sx130 series with genuine epsom cartridges. At first it would not recognise the cartridges one only at any one time.then it registered all of them and told me that the ink was half empty, well yes I had been printing things to try to get them to work. Stll coloured pictures only printed with one colour and the black. However different pictures used a different colour resulting in a blue and black granddaughter, then a pink and black one, then a yellow and black one. The fault book said it might be leaked ink on the heads so I did what it said a few times and this did not clear the problem but now I have no black ink left.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by peaches03 (5/6/12 9:56 PM) reply + / -
Chicky! You saved my day with telling us about the arrow telling us which color was out. I now remember having to do this the last time my ink was out. For some reason, I forgot in between ink replacements. THANK YOU.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Gamma7897 (5/11/12 11:38 PM) reply + / -
Looks like epson doesnt like customers anymore.

I have a epson stylus dx4400

Problems: yellow ran out, exchanged, say the cratridge is not compatible, did this a s##tload of times and then it worked. But then it says black has run out which was funny. When it said yellow ran out it showed black at 75%. Didnt print anything.

So should i buy cartridges to replace cartridges because i replced another cartridge?

Not going to buy an epson printer again. Maybe HP?

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by dHcomics (5/12/12 7:55 PM) reply + / -
Hi guys, had the same problem with not recognized cartridge.

Sollution:
SSC Service Utility - http://www.inkcloners.com/shopping_information/tips.php

I used this utility, where you can freeze the ink levels when its full and restore after refilling or reset the chip (for mine DX3850 - TO611,2,3,4 reset was not working) There is many other functions so try this, maybe it will work.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by swandak (5/30/12 3:40 PM) reply + / -
Cleaning the chip and printer contacts with alcohol worked for me!
Thanks!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by jgre6549 (6/2/12 7:40 PM) reply + / -
I know how you feel, I would not buy another Epson, everytime
I change the cartridge and yes they are genuine Epson, I go
throught hell, before I can use it.
Life is just too short for this

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by JobenB (6/3/12 6:14 PM) reply + / -
my epson TX109 can't recognize the ink cartridge. I even converted it into a easy-refill type even i can see closely the ink level which is full the printer can't recognize.. how do i fix this?

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by twareh (6/22/12 2:00 PM) reply + / -
I have a Epson Stylus CX4450 that I bought from someone who was moving and they couldn't take it with them across country. I have bought all new ink cartliges and the printer is still saying that it needs ink. I don't anything about this printer but I want it to work. It tells me that only the blue ink is the one that needs replaced, but I just did about an hour ago. Please someone help me!!!!!!!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Suzers45 (7/24/12 2:45 PM) reply + / -
Hi Twareh,

I am having the same issue with an Epson NX125. Only the blue is not recognized. And I just bought a genuine Epson cartridge. When I called Customer Service, they said they were going to be sending me a new cartridge. This is the third new cartridge I've tried in two days. Obviously, it's not the cartridge, but they didn't want to hear that. Anyone have a suggestion?

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Wes (7/24/12 3:14 PM) reply + / -
There are a few tricks/steps that work. 1. Remove the ink cartridges and then restart the printer. Then install the ink cartridges one by one as the printer request them.

2. clean the chip contacts on the ink cartridge. You can use a eraser or I use a piece of paper and clean the contacts.

3. Look to see if the chip is centered on the ink cartridge.

4. Use a chip from a old ink cartridge and reset that chip.

Epson sued for patent infringement against the generic ink cartridge manufactures so good generic ink cartridges are hard to find.

There are other steps but these are the most common fixes.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by fedupwiththis (8/14/12 4:10 PM) reply + / -
issue with nx127 those should be simple but yet its lines in my paper going through my words and now its not recignizing the cartridges

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (8/14/12 7:35 PM) reply + / -
Hi Folks
I wish I had a Dollar for every time Ive heard this phrase. This is the most common problem for Epson printers and it all revolves around Epsons unending pursuit to combat the compatible ink cartridge market and sell you their genuine inks. In saying this however it is still VERY common to have this problem even when using GENUINE Epson inks ! You may like to take a look at the following article which may provide some help - http://www.inkhub.com.au

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (8/14/12 7:36 PM) reply + / -
Hi Folks
I wish I had a Dollar for every time Ive heard this phrase. This is the most common problem for Epson printers and it all revolves around Epsons unending pursuit to combat the compatible ink cartridge market and sell you their genuine inks. In saying this however it is still VERY common to have this problem even when using GENUINE Epson inks ! You may like to take a look at the following article which may provide some help - http://www.inkhub.com.au

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by NeutralObserver (8/31/12 6:50 PM) reply + / -
I found that the best way to solve this problem is the video from Jaydean.

http://www.inkhub.com.au

You take the cartridge out (or all of them if your changing them all). Then unplug the printer for at least 20 minutes. Watch some tv or eat or do anything else for awhile.
After 20 minutes plug the printer back in and then put in the cartridge or cartridges. Hopefully it works!
Mine recognized all of the generic cartridges and works fine. I changed all 6.

In general if you are having any problems with your printer, unplug it from the wall for 20 minutes, then plug it back in and try it.

The printer resets itself and this will fix some probs but not all.
Good Luck!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by wildbilski (9/1/12 2:04 PM) reply + / -
I have had an r300, and swiched to an r280 with never any problems.
I have an nx400 and nx415 both of which have the ink cartridge issue. No matter what I do there is no fix. Now it could be a software issue but on the other han it could be a faulty flatwire connection and is not fixable. Certainly the true cause must be known and acknowledged by Epson. Ihave had excellent use of my r280 and r300. So what exactly does epson say about the NX series all in one. Where is cnet, pc magazines and others in the industry on this.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by wildbilski (9/1/12 2:18 PM) reply + / -
I have had an r300, and swiched to an r280 with never any problems.
I have an nx400 and nx415 both of which have the ink cartridge issue. No matter what I do there is no fix. Now it could be a software issue but on the other han it could be a faulty flatwire connection and is not fixable. Certainly the true cause must be known and acknowledged by Epson. Ihave had excellent use of my r280 and r300. So what exactly does epson say about the NX series all in one. Where is cnet, pc magazines and others in the industry on this.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (9/1/12 7:43 PM) reply + / -
Hi Wildbilksi
Have you tried uninstalling the software and re installing it again?
If youve done this and still no luck then it may be that your printhead is faulty. Ive been in the industry for many years and most domestic printers only seem to last between 1 an 5 years. Printheads due to their nature are prone to failure. THis is due to the intricate nature of them as well as the fact that they are constantly heating and cooling as the tiny resistors turn on and off.
Regards Dean

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by twareh (9/5/12 7:37 AM) reply + / -
Well, I am giving up on my Epson printer. What now do I do with all this ink that I have? I didn't keep the boxes and they are brand new! I would like to know what to do with then.
Thanks for all the replies; I have tried everything!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (9/5/12 3:08 PM) reply + / -
You may have outdated microchips on your ink cartridges.
Which model Epson is it and arethey compatible inks?

Dean

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by twareh (9/6/12 6:59 AM) reply + / -
Well they are the Epson ink cartridges, so they are the one's that go with the printer. It is an Epson CX4500 I think, I don't have it in front of me so I am not sure. I know that the ink number is 88 for Epson. The ink is brand new out of the box I got at Best Buy.
I want to do something with this ink, I don't want my money to go to waste. If anyone can use it I will sell all 4 colors for $40. Will mail them to you!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Epson NX415 (10/13/12 7:08 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with my Epson ink cartridge I have tried everything but nothing so far. My Epson is a NX415 it was working good for a year and half but not know.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Wes (10/13/12 12:04 PM) reply + / -
There are a few tricks/steps that work. 1. Remove the ink cartridges and then restart the printer. Then install the ink cartridges one by one as the printer request them.

2. clean the chip contacts on the ink cartridge. You can use a eraser or I use a piece of paper and clean the contacts.

3. Look to see if the chip is centered on the ink cartridge.

4. Use a chip from a old ink cartridge and reset that chip.

Epson sued for patent infringement against the generic ink cartridge manufactures so good generic ink cartridges are hard to find.

There are other steps but these are the most common fixes.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Zaylah (10/26/12 10:21 AM) reply + / -
epson didn't recognize ink cartridges, I changed and they sent me new ones,replace them.All setting on printer say invalid I try your suggestions but didn't help.Can you help me.Thanks

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by RBnDEN (12/18/12 4:31 PM) reply + / -
Wiping the gold contacts with alcohol did the trick for me.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by saysun (12/29/12 3:39 AM) reply + / -
Glad I found this site. It really helped me to get my Epson Stylus SX215 printer to recognise replacement ink cartridges. I took all of the cartridges out and went over the points very lightly with an alcohol-based solution. (In this case, Antiseptic Wound Wash, as I had nothing else on hand). I also gently wiped down all of the points on the cartridges themselves, plus the ones that the cartridges come into contact with, as well as the housing where the cartridges sit. I let them dry, checked that nothing was loose or chipped or broken off, put them back in, turned off the printer and unplugged it for about sixty seconds. When I turned it back on, magic! The printer recognised the cartridges. However, before I could start printing again, I had to go into the print utility command and delete all of the jobs that were waiting to print, because that was delaying the printer from printing my new jobs. It worked fabulously well and I am once again printing documents! Nevertheless, I will say that Epson printers are not worth the hassle and I will buy something from another manufacturer when I have to replace this one.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by loftconsult (1/10/13 5:50 PM) reply + / -
I have a Epson Workforce 310. For Non OEM Epson cartridges to work you have to disable the Epson Status Monitor. HERE'S THE STEP BY STEP DIRECTIONS:

1. GO TO CONTROL PANEL
2. SELECT VIEW DEVICES AND PRINTERS
3. DOUBLE CLICK YOUR PRINTER ICON
4. CUSTOMIZE YOUR PRINTER
5. HIT ADVANCED THEN PRINTING DEFAULTS AT THE BOTTOM
6. THEN GO TO MAINTENANCE ON NEXT SCREEN
7. PRESS SPEED & PROGRESS AT BOTTOM
8. AT SPEED & PROGRESS SCREEN SELECT DISABLE EPSON STATUS MONITOR
9. PRESS OKAY AND THE NON OEM CARTRIDGES WILL WORK. I PAID $9 FOR 10 REPLACEMENT CARTRIDGES ON AMAZON. WOULD'VE PAID $120 IF NOT FOR NON OEM REPLACEMENTS.

HOPE THAT HELPS.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by rossetti (2/6/13 10:07 AM) reply + / -
Finally I fixed the problem, heres how:
I had tried every solution given here, but none worked. The thing was that I wasnt pressing correctly the cartridges into the printer. Apparently they had fitted, but they werent in the right position. Keep checking if you put them correctly. when you do that, press the button next to the ink/paper sign, or the button you press when you change the cartridges. The printer might start to recognize them and you will no longer see the problem. i was this close to buy a new printer...

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by 66saint (2/7/13 4:39 AM) reply + / -
I signed up here just so I could make this comment. I've never posted on one of these before.

Today, I purchased an Epson Workforce printer to replace my rubbish DEL printer that worked but repeatedly lost connection to my laptop. Salesman sung the praises of this printer so I bought it, set it up as per user manual and low and behold... brand new, epson ink cartridge unrecognised. It was the Cyan I expect considering message said "C". Have spent all night searching remedies and implemented all of them with no success!
Conclusion = GARBAGE! GARBAGE! GARBAGE! waste of time and money. Its going back to the store tomorrow with a demand of refund after reading hundreds of similar problems.

Re: Re: Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by robertpri (3/13/13 6:39 PM) reply + / -
I am sick of epsons. Do you have a 'rec for printers that accept generic color ink? Brother? HP? others?

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (edited 3/13/13 7:08 PM) reply-1 + / -
Hi Robert
Yes Epson printers are the WORST printers ever made !
If you are only printing kids homework, invoices etc you cant beat the Brother Printers for Cheap, reliable printing. If you want a bit better quality printer then Canon are the BEST by far in my opinion.

Look for any Brother printer using the LC40/LC73/LC77XL Ink Cartridges as these are cheap and super reliable in compatibles. Canon on the other hand you need to look for printers using the PGI 525 and CLI 526 cartridges as these are available in compatibles and are great value also. The Brother is definitely the cheaper of the two to run.

Have a look at this article I wrote a while back. Hopefully it will help a little.
Hi Robert
Yes Epson printers are the WORST printers ever made !
If you are only printing kids homework, invoices etc you cant beat the Broter Printers for Cheap, reliable printing. If you wnat a bit better quality printer then Canon are the BEST by far in my opinion.

Look for any Brother printer using the LC40/LC73/LC77XL Ink Cartridges as these are cheap and super reliable in compatibles. Canon on the other hand you need to look for printers using the PGI 525 and CLI 526 cartridges as these are available in compatibles and are great value also. The Brother is definitely the cheaper of the two to run.

Have a look at this article I wrote a while back. Hopefully it will help a little.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by tedbarwise (3/25/13 9:34 AM) reply + / -
Got over the problem of my Epson px720wd not recognising genuine or compatible cartridges by opening and closing the ink compartment over and over.Eventually it recognises the cartridges. Now have a problem with one cartridge not printing (light cyan). Gives prints a magenta haze. Tried head cleaning by the auto method. How do I clear this head? Any ideas?

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (3/25/13 2:03 PM) reply + / -
Hi Ted
First check that the "breather tape" on the top of the cartridge is fully removed. Next grab a cyan coloured picture from google images and try printing it several times to force Cyan ink through the printhead. If this doesnt work you will need to purchase a printhead cleaning kit and flush the printhead out to remove any hardened ink which has formed on the surface of the printhead.

Cheers Dean

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by gvans (3/26/13 6:53 PM) reply + / -
Add the 2000P to the list of printers suddenly not recognizing new cartridges bought from the Epson store. The printer was working perfectly, the ink ran out, I popped in the new one, and it doesn't see it. Called Epson, they're sending me a new B and W cartridge, but I popped in a 2nd new one and it failed too, After reading the above thread, I'm convinced they are doing something with the chip on the new cartridges. I'm going to buy a CANON ASAP.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (3/26/13 7:31 PM) reply-1 + / -
Hi Gvans
Yes Epson are the WORST printer on the market. I dont think too many people would debate this. I am currently writing an article about avoiding Epson printers and I would appreciate if people would add comments to it when done. People need to know just how bad the Epson printers are.

Take care - Dean (Ink Hub Australia)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by peddler33 (4/24/13 7:00 PM) reply + / -
I have a NX420 and I am convinced this is the worst printer ever created. Uses ink like my truck uses gasoline and now it won't accept a genuine Epson black cartrige. Just as well because it is going into the garbage where it belongs.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize ink cartridge by rob keve (5/16/13 1:40 AM) reply + / -
after downloading an Epson 'update' next time I needed black ink my printer refused to recognize any of my ink cartridges (non branded) . ..and me with a drawer full of spare cartridges
I purchased an Epson Black and it now thinks all of the cartridges are genuine Epson cartridges, so at least I can still use the coloured spares...

Unfortunately because of the delay in changing the cartridge (getting the new Epson one) the ink dried up in the black and even after several 'cleaning cycles' it was still missing lines when printing (- also 3 cleans used half the ink in the cartridge) I wet a 'baby wipe' with water and placed it over the sponges where the ink head parks - left the ink head parked on it for an hour - removed it and it prints perfectly again.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (5/16/13 3:32 PM) reply + / -
Hi Rob
Well done mate, yes Epson print heads clog very easily. Maybe to overcome the software update you could uninstall the drivers and load them again from the original disc. Just a thought.

Cheers Dean

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Vid.UK (edited 5/19/13 6:25 PM) reply + / -
Yes from 3rd May till 19th May, I struggled with this 'not recognized' nightmare. It haunted me day and night like a ghost following me everywhere. But finally today I succeeded in killing the ghost named 'cartridges-not-recognized'. Dont know which black magic finally worked as I tried too many.

The first nightmare happened when on 3rd May I purchased online a compatible black cartridge which gave out blank printouts. the ghost perhaps entered my printer through this cartridge.

Second nightmare - All of a sudden cyan cartridge, which was not even over and which I had not even touched, gave the above named horror error.

Third nightmare - On 9th May, I ordered online all 4 new compatible carts thinking mix of genuine and compatible might not be working. All 4 gave 'not recognized' error.

On 14th, had a huge showdown through email with the dealer from whom I bought them.

From 15 to 18 May, did lot of prayers and meditations and asked for guidance from higher self to show some light (LOL).. uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times. Nothing helped.

Fourth nightmare - On 18th, bought genuine cyan and black cart from Argos at triple the price of compatible and those too gave the same 'not recognized' error.

Today, entire Sunday, spent surfing and googling for some black magic (assuming prayers were not helping me) which would drive away the ghost from my printer.

Found and downloaded SSC Server Utility from internet. Also found this forum while googling and found many unfortunate souls like me who had also purchased Epson printer like a bad omen.

Lastly, out of anger sent an email to Epson UK that I am going to sue them for misleading the customers. Then with frustration and no hopes left, I spit on the green chip and then wiped it roughly and put in back in the slot. Had just given up when suddenly God thought of answering my prayers.

I came back to my PC around midnight and gave one last print command before hitting the bed. And lo.. the print came out as if nothing had happened. HURRAY! I WON! THE GHOST LOST! HURRAY!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (5/19/13 7:22 PM) reply + / -
Hey
Very funny my friend, I like your sense of humour even when the dreaded Epson Blues were haunting you. Yes by spitting on the chip it may have cleaned it. As I've said before there are only 2 things which cause this. 1. dud micro-chip on cartridge or 2. Dirty chip or its not contacting the printer terminals correctly.

There is a 3rd scenario also which has been known to occur - 3. the printer has become taken over by a Demonic Spirit. This spirit is generally introduced via an automatic software update initiated by Epson themselves.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by msnewton (5/24/13 12:36 AM) reply + / -
Hi All,
I will not repeat what every body said. TX210. I thought may I add something new.
I placed new (Not OEM) black ink and it was charged successfully.
After 2 days it show half ink even I didn't print any thing. Today it show not recognized. I went through settings and I found that date of manufacture 01/2011. I think because of that printer decided to disable think cartridge.
I wish there is a hardware solution like shortening a circuit in motherboard that solve all of this headache.
Regards.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Vid.UK (5/26/13 4:36 AM) reply + / -
@jaydean,, thanks dear. But it was indeed a horrible experience and its still is. Looks like my stars are really bad where this printer is concerned.

The next morning I woke to be haunted again. the black cartridge gave a new error 'replace cartridge' with a big RED CROSS on it.

I did not know how to remove this error. So, i put another cartridge, but this gave 'cartridge not recognized' ... so stuck again.

Would appreciate any solution for this new error from anyone.
Thanks

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (5/26/13 3:21 PM) reply + / -
Hi Again
Did you try the solution which I posted earlier:
Have you updated your Epson Driver Software lately as this seems to also be causing the same issue.

I suggest that you first try the solutions in the above article and if that doesn't work try uninstalling the drivers for your printer and re installing them from the original disc(not from the internet).

Good Luck with it all.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (5/26/13 3:22 PM) reply + / -
Hi Again
Did you try the solution which I posted earlier:
Have you updated your Epson Driver Software lately as this seems to also be causing the same issue.

I suggest that you first try the solutions in the above article and if that doesn't work try uninstalling the drivers for your printer and re installing them from the original disc(not from the internet).

Good Luck with it all.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Vid.UK (5/27/13 9:32 AM) reply + / -
It doest work. Epsons are the worst printers. They should be banned from the market for cheating innocent customers.

I have a canon printer which I am using now. though the black printhead is clogged and doesnt print black, it still allows me to print with color cartridge. That is the advantage of having canon.

EPSONS SUCK !!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by MartinJB (edited 6/4/13 10:54 AM) reply + / -
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I have used none generic Epson cartridges for years without problem until today when one of my cartridges ran out and I replace it I got the dreaded X in the status monitor with the incompatible error.

After a couple of hour with no luck, and having trawled the forums contemplating leaving Epson forever this is what I did.

1. uninstall Epson Printer

2. Inserted USB into laptop and allowed it to install generic Epson driver, without status monitor!Or if you have a disk install driver only from this.

3. Pressed stop button on printer to move carriage to cartridge change position.

4. Inserted new non generic cartridges and closed lid.

5. Pressed stop button again to reengage carriage but immediately unplugged power chord from back of printer.

6. After 30 seconds plugged back in and pressed the On button, the printer immediately moved the carriage and started to charge the cartridges one by one returning a green light - Hey Presto!!

This may work by just uninstalling or disabling the status monitor if you ate able to do so, I have now reinstalled the status monitor and everything ok.

Anyway - Happy Printing

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by wburns1966 (6/7/13 8:31 AM) reply + / -
I was attempting to use the authentic cartridge. Didn't work. I just wiped the chip with a soft cloth. Started working like a charm.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by hissyphhtt (edited 6/14/13 3:04 PM) reply + / -
The Epson problem with not recognizing it's own cartridges has made me dread printing all together. When I first bought an Epson NX-400, I got a message to replace the cartridges after three days of very light use (maybe 20 pages). I figured it was because they were the half-size cartridges that come already installed in a new printer- so I bought new ones. I immediately got the message that the cartridges were not recognized by the printer. Thinking I had not seated them well, I removed them and reinstalled- same message. I deleted all my printer software and reinstalled it per manufacturer's suggestion. It then recognized only the black ink cartridge- so I have been printing in black ink since (three months) because all of the negative comments have me freaked out about even using the damn thing. I always thoroughly check out reviews before I buy anything, and all the online reviews seemed to be very good for this printer. To think that I donated my perfectly good HP InkJet 900 to Goodwill to buy this nightmare makes me sick- but I wanted to print photos, so...

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Michi (6/26/13 8:23 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi!!! I have some problems with my printer!! It reads the chip, in fact, it says everything is fine...but when I try to print...it moves...but prints anything...can someone help me?? Itīs an Epson Stylus T22...Compatible ink cartridge...

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Kaligrafix (6/27/13 2:11 PM) reply + / -
I have a flat bed printer Epson 1390 DTG which cost me about US $ 5,000 (extra ink & Air freighting from China inclusive). Any time I switch it on, just as it is about to finish initialisation the red light of change ink button lights and it indicates ink incompatible. It is the same ink that was provided by the company I bought the printer from and I have been using it for the past 6 months. This gruesome cycle of epsonic plague has been going on now for over 3 weeks with my entire working hour being dedicated to epsonopheric hope & despair as numerous clients works keep pilling up in our little universal print shop. Unfortunately, Mr. Jishubu who is the after sales engineer of the Chinese company I bought the printer from has remained so lackadaisical may be he is plagued and terror stricken by the dreadful epsons he has been assembling to poor unsuspecting customers like me.
I have tried the resetting the cartridge chips uncountable times;
I have Changed the CIS ink cartridge and have lost count;
I have manually cleaning the print head using the methodologies of the online gurus & nerds;
I have Cleaned the cartridge contact with soap, spirit, eraser, spittle, paper and even ...
But nothing has changed. The red light monster still remained. Itís now hunting me both in my sleep and while awake. Any time I see the red car brake light or LED of the TV & other appliances, I feel like yelling off the ****ing thing. Please fellow forum Pals I know you will not want this Epson tyrants to make me go gaga with their WMD called Epson series. Please SOS!!! Donít tell me to just throw away the bullshit along with those litters of toxic stuff called ink & coatings that cost me about US$ 5,000. Unfortunately I have neither succeeded in diagnosing the fault nor discovering how to disable diabolical epsonic red light ink checking system. Meanwhile as all other suggested remedies from the good pals in the forum refused to work, I am now thinking of:
(a) Changing the CIS cartridge chip; (b) The print head or even the (c) The Main board; and (d) the power board.
Logically can replacing these parts make the printer work or am I just about to donate to eposon WMD factory by buying these parts? Please does someone have other suggestions? Can anyone out there knowledgeable about these stuffs help me out.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (6/27/13 3:31 PM) reply + / -
Have you uninstalled the drivers and then re installed them from the original disc. I'm assuming that a software update has caused this.

Re: Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Kaligrafix (6/28/13 5:04 AM) reply + / -
Thanx jaydean. Yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled and cut off from the internet as some forum guys advised, but the printer is still not responding. That was why I was contemplating changing the main board just in chase Epson upgrade has done a permanent dirty tricks to my poor board.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by simkular (7/15/13 12:28 PM) reply + / -
i have an Epson stylus office BX630FW and it says that Magenta is installed incorrectly. i have tried everything on here and it still does not work! can you help me? thank you.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by DjIns1ght (7/16/13 12:06 AM) reply + / -
I have an Epson NX230 (cheapy but goodie). I bought a pack of 9 "refilled" genuines from 4inkjets.com. For 50 bucks. 3 black, 2 of each color. Very pleased with the price. Installed the black as it was empty. "Cartridge not genuine" message came up.

Fixed it. Step by step:

1. Hold the red blinking tear drop shaped button for a few seconds.

2. The printer head will move itself out slowly until it suddenly quickly moves to the plastic piece in the center that "points" to which ink cartridge is low or empty. I had a low Cyan so it went there first and stopped.

3. Press the drop button again until the printer is done showing you which cartridges are low or empty. It will then finally move to the refill position.

4. While it is in the refill position pop all of the cartridges out of their slots but only completely remove the one that is remanufactured.

5. Pull the power plug on the printer.

6. Take the remanufactured ink cartridge and VERY carefully with the tip of a non-serrated edge knife, LIGHTLY scratch the contact points ONLY, until they are shiny. Careful not to harm the circuit board.

7. Once all the tiny squares have been lightly scraped,place the remanufactured cartridge(s) back into the slot but do NOT press it all the way in. Now all of the cartridges should be ready to snap into place (kind of hovering) but don't do it yet.

8. !!!!WARNING!!!! You are going to plug the power cord in but be careful with the next step, because the printer head can move fast to the left and since all of the cartridges are not snapped in they could run into the body of the printer somewhere. RIGHT after (within half a second) of pushing the power button, after having plugged the power cord in, you are going to press all of the cartridges into place.

So..it's basically like, press power button (lights up), PRESS all cartridges down!

If your cartridge was a genuine Epson that was refilled, this should make it show back up as readable and full.

Worked perfectly for me. Hope this helps someone.

Re: Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (7/16/13 12:31 AM) reply + / -
OK, Glad it worked for you but it seems to be a bit involved. As said before there are really only 3 scenarios.

1. The software has been updated and can now detect that a non genuine ink is being used.

2. One or more of the micro chips is either out dated or faulty.

3. The micro chip on the cartridge is either dirty or not contacting the terminals correctly in the printer.

Many resellers are still selling out dated cartridges and they will not work.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by natalie lemire (7/20/13 5:26 PM) reply + / -
I have a fairly new Epson stylus NX420. I have just ordered an epson black cartridge and I get he message that the printer cannot recognize Epson ink cartridge. Whats up? This is the second time this has happened and I'm not a happy camper as I use this printer for work

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (7/21/13 4:29 PM) reply + / -
Hi Natalie
Where did you get the cartridges?
They may be using an out dated micro chip.
We have had very few issues with our 133 / 138 ink cartridges as we use the latest version micro chip. Check that the cartridge is seated firmly in the printer and also that the small micro chip is clean.

Regards Dean (Ink Hub)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (7/21/13 4:30 PM) reply + / -
Hi Natalie
Where did you get the cartridges?
They may be using an out dated micro chip.
We have had very few issues with our 133 / 138 ink cartridges as we use the latest version micro chip. Check that the cartridge is seated firmly in the printer and also that the small micro chip is clean.

Regards Dean (Ink Hub)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by sanjay gore (10/2/13 11:35 PM) reply + / -
have two epson stylus tx121, the problem is would not recognized a new genuine cartidge..pls help me resolve my problem..i already spend 3 new set of cartidge but still it doesn't work...tnx in advance

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by rik.b (11/18/13 9:32 AM) reply + / -
now happening on the epson artisan 810 all in one. i am trying to find a solution as well.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by kaligrafix (11/18/13 11:44 PM) reply + / -
Hello there natalie and rik.b Please dont listen to Jaydean. I believe he is either an optimistic Pacifist or he works with those evil Epson guys. Nothing will bring those printer back to life again. Just take the following 3 steps they will save you from an impending Epson related cadiac arrest. Step 1- Dump the Epson printer in a rain soaked garbage dump. Step 2. - Come back & lie down on your sofa and sob your heart out for your financial loses & Epson dupe. Step 3. Take a deep breath and say never again will I buy Epson, and go and buy another brand of printer. Good luck! It worked for me.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (11/19/13 1:08 AM) reply + / -
Hi Folks
Yes I agree with Kaligrafix that Epson Printers belong on the tip. They are pig of a printer.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (edited 11/19/13 1:10 AM) reply + / -
Hi Folks
Are you getting the error message on ALL cartridges or just one. Are you using genuine or compatibles ?

Dean (Ink Hub)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by brianhu (12/12/13 2:56 AM) reply + / -
i think , the epson original cartridge somtime also have problem.

like the problem. it is chip .you should explain this to the epson saler.

www.inksupplysystem.com

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Sort (12/19/13 8:40 PM) reply + / -
Yep. My Epson Stylus NX125 had this same problem, the first time Epson ink replacement - black ink, it wouldn't recognise it. Are you serious!? I left it for almost a year, printing things from work instead. Now holidays I'd like to sort it out. The Epson online support just gives you lots of FAQ redirects (ie. avoidance), trying to put a puzzle together. Basically it's a useless piece of crap. I shouldn't have to spend all this time trying to fix something that should not have occured in the first place. I also get communication error. Sheesh.

Re: Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Vid.UK (12/21/13 7:25 AM) reply + / -
NO, you dont have to dump the printer. You can use it as a scanner if its a 3-in-on... ;-)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by pjulien (12/21/13 5:43 PM) reply + / -
I have brand new Epson Workforce 845 and have printed with it for about three weeks or so. Replaced black ink, cyan, and another. Just too tired and frustrated to keep on with it. Printer will not recognize cartridges, or will not accept for other stupid reasons, or keeps on asking for new one. I have lots of Epson ink also going to Salvation Army.
Probably too late to return to Best Buy, so I plan a good You Tube video and will send it to its destination from my 22nd floor balcony next week.
This will be filmed from the balcony going down, and from the ground with safety personnel in place below. We are on a high visibility park and main traffic artery. My police colleagues will be there for security, and news media to be invited
If you want to get URL of this Epson product "release", give me an email.
Throwing and filming next week as we have to leave for the yacht tomorrow
Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all
PJ

Re: Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (edited 1/20/14 2:38 PM) reply + / -
Hi there
Great stuff !
Epson are the worst printers ever invented. If I had my way I would do this to every Epson Printer on the planet. Are you willing to broadcast this on my media platforms.

I will advertise the event. Would you like to share the story on my website as I have spent the last several years warning people of how bad Epson printers are !

I run an Australian wide ink cartridge store known as Ink Hub (http://www.inkhub.com.au) and Epson are my worst nightmare. I never have any trouble unless it is to do with an Epson Printer.

Let me know what your plans are ?

Great Stuff and Merry Christmas.

Dean

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by brianhu (1/3/14 4:35 PM) reply + / -
the printer not recogniae the cartridge
i think have following problem
1:the printer chip contactor have been damage.
2:the printer chip damage or empty.
www.inksupplysystem.com

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by narenivas (1/20/14 2:33 PM) reply + / -
THIS IS HOW I FIXED MINE!!!!

YOU GO TO THE SCREEN IN YOUR COMPUTER WHERE IS SHOWING THE EMPTY CARTRIDGES, PRESS WHERE IS SAYS "HOW TO CHANGE CARTRIDGES" OR SOMETHING DOWN DOES LINES... FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS STEP BY STEP. I HAD TO TAKE OUT THE NEW INK AS IF IT WAS THE OLD ONE AND REINSTERTED.. FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS ON THE SCREEN... IT WORKED OUT GREAAAAT!!!! GOOD LUCK!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by -val (2/8/14 6:52 AM) reply + / -
Re xp215
We are returning our third printer in as many days same fault does none of them recognise the black ink cartridge. They need to get their act together.
If you manage to get the thing to print- we did our first one it isnt long before the paper light comes up saying its jammed -it wasnt.
Turned it it off and went for a cuppa and a moan came back fault gone. Only to have the ink fault show.So went back to the shop.
no 2.Changed the printer same fault re ink
no 3.Changed the printer same fault re ink (exchanged today).
The last one (4th) Is being returned as I write and we are insisting on a different make or money back luckily they were all under guarantee. Wish I had checked Epson out before buying!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (2/8/14 1:57 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi Val
You wouldn't believe how many customers are having the same problems as you with many of the new Epson printers. If Epson doesn't get their act together soon theyre reputation will be so bad that nobody will touch their printers.

Do yourself a favour Val and grab yourself a Canon printer which uses 5 or 6 individual cartridges. They beat the Epson printers hands down.
Regards Dean (Ink Hub)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by -val (2/9/14 2:09 AM) reply + / -
We have a new printer....Needless to say NOT EPSON! It works!
Thanks!

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by kaligrafix (2/9/14 5:09 AM) reply+1 + / -
If I hear the word epson again I Will @%*& ............

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Kaligrafix (2/9/14 5:11 AM) reply+1 + / -
Just tell me it is not from Epson subsidiaries. I dont trust these Epsonites

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by kaligrafix (2/11/14 1:29 AM) reply + / -
Jaydean pls let me know when you are recruiting printer angels to fight the Epson demons. I am all weapons & ready to give it to them.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (2/11/14 1:41 AM) reply + / -
Hi Kaligrafix
I'm ready now to fight the Epson Demons. They originate from the pits of hell. We need to get a possie organised to defeat them. Checkout my Epson logo:
http://www.inkhub.com.au/ink/epson-software-updates-warning/

I think this should be Epson's new logo.

May the force be with you.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by usedtobeepsonfan (2/18/14 9:10 PM) reply + / -
I have been an Epson fan for years and had a few printers from them with which I had been very happy with....Until the Work Force 40. I have always used original Epson ink. I literally got to put 1 refill into it, but when it came to the second time to chnage carts, it told me these were not epson compatable, even though they were in fact epson carts. I too them back to the store and told them these were defective, to which they gave me a new kit of ink, and, after installing those, the printer said they were not original epson ink carts. What gives here? Conspiracy to eliminate semi old printers?... Anyone have a fix?

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (2/18/14 10:05 PM) reply + / -
Hi there my friend
I have been in the print consumables industry for 8 years now and I despise Epson printers.

The best solution to your problem is to:
1. grab it by the power chord and throw it off a cliff.
2. Go to the local electronics store and buy a Canon Printer.

Best Wishes Dean (Ink Hub Australia)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by kaligrafix (3/2/14 9:29 AM) reply + / -
usedtobeepsonfan read my scrips and also the hands of jaydean...."There is no solution for your epson.... you have been D U P E D. Throw if off that epson off the cliff of wet dump & pee on it NOW befor it drives you nuts!!!"

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by lpfowlie (3/7/14 6:41 PM) reply + / -
has anyone purchased a printer that works, I've had 3 Hp and 2 Epson in the past 4 years, which one do I try now??? thanks

Re: Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Jaydean (3/9/14 8:55 PM) reply + / -
Buy a Canon Printer which uses individual ink cartridges. They are by far the best and most reliable. Avoid Canon printers using only 2 cartridges as they are very expensive to replace.

Dean (Ink Hub)

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by lpfowlie (3/10/14 7:35 AM) reply + / -
thank you

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by lpfowlie (3/12/14 7:59 AM) reply + / -
I gave up and called Epson, they have sent me 2 yes that's right, 2 printers in the past week this last one actually worked, glad they paid the postage

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by pitrader (4/8/14 12:58 PM) reply + / -
I may have some good news for those using the Epson NX330 or any Epson that takes the T126 cartridge. I too had this problem with the cartridges not being recognised. So I though that I would be smart and purchase the refillable cartridges with ARC chips (automatic reset chip). This worked great for a while until they too were not recognised. So I went 1 step further and purchased a chip reseter. This worked for a while until no mater what I did the printer simply would not recognise the cartridge genuine or compatible. So I figured if the cartridge is screwed anyway I may as well take it apart to see how it ticked. Well the cartridges that have the ARC chips (not the genuine) in them have a small button battery attached to them. So I bent the two thin metal tabs up and pushed the battery out and sure enough the 1.5 volt battery only had .6 volts left. This was the case for all of the cartridges that were not recognised. The cartridges that were recognised had 1.2 volts in them. So I went to the dollar store and got 5 alkaline batteries for a buck, slid them in, put the chip back into the cartridge and EUREKA!! guess what?? The cartridges were all recognised and all is well again. Now I cannot speak for all of the various Epson printers nor their ARC chips but the ones that I have for my NX330 which is a T126 cartridge all had button watch batteries in them. So before you throw away your printer try this out and you may be pleasantly suprised.BTW I purchased all four of my refillable cartridges from ISTXpress on eBay for about $12.00. So if they have compatible cartridges that fit your machine with ARC chips that have a battery in them that would certainly be an option.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by All Access Computers (4/14/14 5:12 PM) reply + / -
Hey Guys. My most recent success with this printer is doing the following:
1.)Remove all cartridges & unplug power and power on
2.)Place the cartridge that is not being recognized first. (The printer should say that it can not recognized the other missing colors)
3.)Proceed to replace the other 3 colors one at a time (It will continue to not recognize the missing colors until the last one is inserted.)
Voila! We run into these problems from time to time when people drop off computers and printers at our store http://www.allaccesscomputers.com.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Choisist (5/2/14 6:45 PM) reply + / -
Ive had an epson xp-200 for about a year and a half. the ink that came with it worked fine, and then i had to replace it. my printer couldnt read that i replaced the ink..i checked the status on my laptop and it said my ink was empty.. called tech support and talked to some guy in India for about an hour and then he told me to "call your printer provider". i gave up. and im tired of texting my friends to print my essays for me (im a junior in high school)

i took a flashlight and looked at it. i took out the (new) ink and turned it off. i turned it back on and replaced the ink. -nothing
then i took the ink cartridges out again and looked at the nozzles with a flashlight.

---------i cleaned off the nozzles with a paper towel and replaced the ink again-------------------

and what do you know..it finally recognized that i replaced the ink..AGAIN.
i cant believe it took me a year to just figure out all i had to do was clean off the nozzles.

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by h w chang (9/1/14 3:00 PM) reply + / -
i replaced new cartridge still shows Error and can not recognize
ink cartridges.
Would you please someone call me for how to fix this problem
hyo chang 815 469 0635 Thank you

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Epson WF435 (9/25/14 10:54 AM) reply + / -
well, add the discontinued WorkForce 435 to the list!

stopped recognizing the generic refillable ink cartridges after 2 good years of use... got a set from an eBay seller from Canada

suspected someone did an update, so i removed the software from the PC & re-installed from the disc. NO GO

cleaned the contacts on the circuit board and on the printer parts themselves w/ alcohol. NO GO

pulled the cartridges from the carriage, unplugged the printer to re-set for 1/2 hour. put them back on & still not recognized.

i'm now at a loss and will be digging out my older Canon printer w/ no micro-chip on the ink cartridges to see if i can bring that out from the dead while i ponder on the fate of this Epson.

sucks that after 2 years of saving big $$$$ on ink, that now it decides to quit on me.

now, i can't even access the other functions of this all-in-one until i get this sorted out :( won't make me scan or use the fax

Re: Epson printer can't recognize Epson ink cartridge by Epson WF435 (9/25/14 1:41 PM) reply + / -
update: after multiple software removals/ installs with the CD,

and powering down & removing the 3rd party cartridges

i finally got that thing to accept my cartridges once again!

i'm still going to hook up my older Canon inkjet printer as a backup & they're easier to refill since they don't have microchips on the carts!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters