fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Justine (7/9/08 8:24 AM) reply + / -
I attempted to print on a postcard, which didn't feed properly and got stuck in the middle of the printer. It came back out very easily, but the printer hasn't worked since. There are no lights flashing, but I get a "The Cover Is Open" message when I go to print. A little searching online told me that the printer thinks it's got a jam, but there is nothing stuck in there. (The postcard came back out fully intact.) I've tried opening and closing everything, pressing the reset button, unplugging the printer (from the wall and the computer), and blowing air through it...all to no avail.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm in the middle of finishing a job for a client and desperately need to print.

Thanks!
Justine

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Justine (7/9/08 2:52 PM) reply + / -
Just trying to bump this back to the top to see if anyone can offer help.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by skroah (9/15/08 1:38 PM) reply + / -
http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by boris175 (9/18/08 10:17 PM) reply + / -
I have a similar problem. I tried solution 2 suggested above, but I couldn't open the right side door, it didn't seem to budge at all.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Justine (9/19/08 5:17 AM) reply + / -
boris175...Removing the side panel and lifting the sensor fixed my problem. I had trouble removing the panel at first, but eventually got it...I had to pull up pretty hard from the bottom to get it off.

On my printer, the problem persists each time I open the cover (to change ink or remove a jam), so I need to pull off the panel and lift the sensor whenever that happens. Once you know what to do, it's a very easy fix.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by boris175 (9/20/08 9:03 PM) reply + / -
Thanks! this worked.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Anonymous (11/18/08 9:31 AM) reply + / -
Thanks. It worked. I was close to junking the printer. The gear/guide doesn't seem to engage the sensor properly when closing the cover. This fixed it at least until I open it again. For those of you trying to figure this out, the panel to open is on the right side and it is a bit difficult to remove. Pop it out from the bottom and be a little firm with it and it will come off.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by HENNING (2/9/09 6:50 AM) reply + / -
thanx, helped alot :)

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by robs (3/3/09 8:23 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem. Its clearly a design flaw with the mechanism.
The sensor is supposed to ride back up on the gear, but gets stuck on a notch in it. You need to lift the sensor lever a small bit, then close the door and its fine until the next time you open the door.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Anonymous (3/23/09 1:31 PM) reply + / -
Thanks- I popped the right panel off, adjusted the misplaced cover sensor and the printer worked just fine.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Anonymous (5/7/09 7:04 AM) reply + / -
HP telephone and email support was not very helpful in providing information on accessing this sensor - thank goodness I found this thread. To extend the number of times you can open the door, scrape away any roughness (if any) on the gear slide where the sticking occurs and apply a smidgen of vaseline.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by greybrow (6/8/09 12:53 AM) reply + / -
I also had the same problem with my deskjet 6840 and, thanks to this thread, I've got it working again.

Unfortunately, in my case, the little plastic arm at the end of the sensor had broken off by the time I found the solution but I can still lift it using a small screwdriver whenever I need to which means I can carry on using the printer for a while yet.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Anonymous (6/19/09 9:02 PM) reply + / -
Greybrow, Found your post tonight and it worked great!! Next, I'll be looking for something to replace the broken piece but for now a bit of scotch tape works. Thanks alot.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Ron Quinto (7/26/09 12:12 PM) reply + / -
Hi!

Can someone please provide screenshots of how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Ron

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by moe (7/26/09 1:36 PM) reply + / -
Why don't you just read the thread????????

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by rebel1 (7/29/09 1:11 PM) reply + / -
thanks!! tried it and found the problem. the door gear bends away from and out of line with the sensor switch. ??? bad design/poor materials ???
i just keep the side cover off now to be able to control proper function.
nice for someone to help out with info like this...

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Anonymous (8/25/09 11:48 AM) reply + / -
Just had this same problem and the following the instructions (below) fixed the problem instantly. Thanks!

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by TBoo (8/28/09 3:18 PM) reply + / -
Thank you all for posting this info and providing detailed descriptions! I also ran into this problem & spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to solve what seemed to be a simple problem. Now, I know what's going on - thanks a bunch!

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by gman2774 (9/29/09 5:26 AM) reply + / -
I tried the solution above and my printer is still not working. The sensor rides up over the gear as the printer door closes (I'm assuming it's doing it's job). In other words the sensor is already at the top when the door is closed. However, I'm still getting an error message reading "the cover is open" and the printer will not print. Any help is appreciated.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Anonymous (10/15/09 6:39 AM) reply + / -
This thread was a huge help for solving my problem!

I glued a small piece of plastic to the piece of the cover which moves the lever. It moves correctly now and i dont need to open the side panel everytime i need to refill/change something.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by schreinerl (2/1/10 9:51 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem with my DeskJet 6980. Thanks to this thread I was able to repair the problem and get the printer working again.

In my case, the little plastic arm that is molded into the detection lever had broken off.

The pictures/instructions found at the link below should be helpful.

As your are facing the printer, remove the right side access door by prying it at its bottom with your fingers.

This exposes the cover position detection gear mechanism. The larger “ring gear” that is part of the cover has a flat spot that contacts the arm and in turn movers the “cover open” detection lever. In my case the broken arm was still dangling from the lever.

I used a heavy duty paper clip to replace the broken lever as follows.
Using a Dremel Tool cut off wheel I cut the paper clip so I ended up with about 1 inch straight piece.

Next with the cover open, I temporally jammed the lever with a piece of paper so it wouldn’t move and I could drill a hole in it.

I carefully drilled a hole all the way through the lever where the arm had broken off. The hole was just large enough to accommodate the paper clip. In my case a #77 drill bit.

I carefully supper-glued the paper clip into the hole making sure that glue did not get on any other parts. I took care to insert the paper clip about the same depth as the thickness of the lever.

After the super-glue had dried I cut off the excess paper clip with the Dremel Tool so there was just enough paper clip exposed to engager the cover “ring gear”. Cover detector has been would fine for about a week now.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by vppn (3/7/10 8:21 AM) reply + / -
After reading the suggested fix and removing the side door, I sawthe gear mechanism hinge on top. Mine was all in tact. I simply pulled the door hindge out slightly them moved the small gear clockwise one notch, then realeased the door hindge gear back onto the small gear.

Hope that all made sense. Now that my gear is like "Advanced" one tooth, my problem is now gone..

The door on the side must be pulled off from the bottom with a firm pull like somebody else said.

This was a very easy fix that has been driving me crazy..

Brent

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by CptGuapo (8/29/10 1:26 PM) reply + / -
After all this time, HP put a troubleshooting guide regarding this problem: http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Before late than never...

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Haptor (12/25/10 2:37 AM) reply + / -
Thank you, guys.

After a long search, this post also fixed my problem

Re: HP Deskjet 6988 paper feed indicator light by flynngm (2/8/11 8:30 PM) reply + / -
paper feed light stays on

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by JennyTailya (7/11/11 8:28 PM) reply + / -
Yippi Ki yeah! This solved my issues. Now I just leave my printer open and keep it in the fixed positon. Cover is a gimic and so is this printer. Off to deep six it if I have any more issues.

Re: HP Deskjet 4488 Cover Open Error by SAGAR PATEL (8/26/11 12:21 PM) reply + / -
HP Deskjet 4488 Cover Open Error

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by kinili (8/26/11 12:43 PM) reply + / -
We did this too and it worked great!!!!

As your are facing the printer, remove the right side access door by prying it at its bottom with your fingers.

This exposes the cover position detection gear mechanism. The larger “ring gear” that is part of the cover has a flat spot that contacts the arm and in turn movers the “cover open” detection lever. In my case the broken arm was still dangling from the lever.

I used a heavy duty paper clip to replace the broken lever as follows.
Using a Dremel Tool cut off wheel I cut the paper clip so I ended up with about 1 inch straight piece.

Next with the cover open, I temporally jammed the lever with a piece of paper so it wouldn’t move and I could drill a hole in it.

I carefully drilled a hole all the way through the lever where the arm had broken off. The hole was just large enough to accommodate the paper clip. In my case a #77 drill bit.

I carefully supper-glued the paper clip into the hole making sure that glue did not get on any other parts. I took care to insert the paper clip about the same depth as the thickness of the lever.

After the super-glue had dried I cut off the excess paper clip with the Dremel Tool so there was just enough paper clip exposed to engager the cover “ring gear”. Cover detector has been would fine for about a week now.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by mastergs (11/6/11 6:23 PM) reply + / -
I read the threads about the "Door open" error. I followed the instructions about opening the right side access 'door'. Yup, the pin on the side of my open door switch snapped off. I moved the switch to the closed door position (up) and the error cleared. However, anytime the printer activated or I put the right door back on, the switch would drop and the error would return.

What I do in most of the electronics around me, I just put a dab of super glue on the top of the switch and moved it to the 'up' position. I works just fine and I don't have to worry about vibration. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by Alex Raventos (1/28/12 12:02 PM) reply+1 + / -
Thanks for this post.

I have found some pictures of how to do it:

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 6980 Cover Open Error by altatension (edited 4/2/13 6:00 PM) reply + / -
mastergs has it perfect! Super glue is the answer. In my case the lever was broken so gluing the lever in the up position worked great. If the lever was not broken, i would break it to glue it in the up position and forget about this petty problem. Don't know how to post pics but I have some for the asking.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters