fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

XEROX 8560 Tray lifting error

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

XEROX 8560 Tray lifting error by MAJ Shepherd (7/4/08 4:31 AM) reply + / -
Has anyone seen this error -- Tray lifting press(?) There is something that is causing the computer to think that it needs to stop. We were thinking power maybe causing this issue, however out of the 8 printers that I have 3 of them have never failed and they sit adjcent to the ones that are failing. Of the other 5 that have failed, we have had problems with 2 of them that continue to fail.
Any help is appreciated

MAJ Shepherd
Baghdad, IRAQ

Re: XEROX 8560 Tray lifting error by Anonymous (7/7/08 11:05 AM) reply + / -
[This isn't a definitive answer as I've not got access to a Phaser to give precise instructions (and it's been a while since I've worked on one), but this should point you in the right direction]

It sounds like the printer is not detecting that the tray has reached the top of its travel when it lifts.
This problem is most likely to be either contamination of the optical 'Tray lift' sensor, or damage to the plastic actuator that triggers the sensor.

First thing to try though (because it's ALWAYS worth trying the most simple thing first) is to chesk that the lift-plate in the tray is raising ...if the indicator on the front right of the paper tray moves when you insert the tray and hear the lift motor sound then it's mechanically OK and it's a sensor problem.

If there is no movement then try a paper tray from one of your working 8560's in the problem printer, just to eliminate the possibility that the tray itself has a problem ...if there's no movement with a known good tray then there's a motor or gear failure and you'll need an engineer, if the indicator moves correctly but the 'Lifting error' remains then it's time to check the sensor actuators - this is where it's handy that you have a working printer to compare with ...I'd suggest checking the following out on the good printer first so you know how the parts you're looking for SHOULD look & behave (if you have a good and bad printer side-by-side, better still).

THEORY OF OPERATION
The printer knows it has paper in the tray, and that it's tray is lifted with two optical sensors that detect when a beam of light is proken by a plastic actuator that hangs down from the 'ceiling' of the paper tray bay ...when the tray lifts up to the correct height, the paper (or the base of the tray if it's empty) will push the actuator up to break the beam of light and tell the printer to stop turning the tray-lift motor.

WHAT TO DO
Remove the paper tray and look into the gap left by the tray so you can see the Paper pick-up/feed rollers ...if I'm remembering correctly (and I've only worked on older versions of your printer) there should be two plastic actuators for detecting the paper and the tray has lifted fully hanging down near the fromt of the printer close(ish) to the rollers. Compare how these look and feel between your good and bad printers - you should find that when you give gentle upward pressure on a good actuator and let it go it will drop down quickly, whereas one that has dislodged will not move smoothly and may even be jammed against the body of the printer ...if the faulty one has dislodged you may be able to snap it back into position.

CLEANING DIRTY SENSORS (compressed air required)
If the actuators look good but the printers are in a dusty environment (and judging by your location they could be!) then the sensors themselves may be cloggged up, preventing the beam of light from being detected. Best I can say is that these printers are pretty easy to dismantle and reassemble. Once you've opened the front cover fully there are a few plastic guides that can be levered out without the need to undo any screws (just pry the release tabs inwards or flex the plastic as appropriate) ...note where the actuators enter the underside of the printer and see of you can get to the sensors inside from from the front of the printer and give them a blast with some compressed air ...this may be a good route in to reseat a dislodged sensor actuator too.
(the sensors look like a sqared-off "U", the actuators rest in the recess of the "U" between the vertical 'posts')

Hope this helps

Mike

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters