fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Solved : Dell 3100cn Password/Factory Reset

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Solved : Dell 3100cn Password/Factory Reset by jbinc1 (edited 7/1/08 9:06 AM) reply + / -
Does anyone know a viable way to reset an unknown password for the Dell 3100cn? According to the manual, resetting the NVRAM should accomplish this by resetting the printer to factory defaults. It does not work. I followed the instructions explicitly and have had no luck. I have also upgraded the firmware, which was mentioned on the Dell Support Forum. This also did not work. I need to change the printer configuration and it's impossible without the password. BTW, I did try the default password of "password" to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now it's just a large paperweight.

Re: Dell 3100cn Password/Factory Reset by Ronald Neilson (6/30/08 7:44 PM) reply + / -
I wish I knew!

I went absolutely crazy trying to find anything about the password.

Here for truth testing is what I think I discovered:
There seem to be three passwords:
1-for the panel -- seems to default to 0000 can be altered on the panel.
2-for the ColorTrak feature (which forces monochrome black) set and reset only within driver installation -- if forgotten, delete printer, reinstall driver. Is Optional
3-for the Dell Printer Configuration Web Tool which username is said to be admin and the password is said to default to password, According to the change password screen the user name admin cannot be changed. The default can be found among the unindexed occurrences of the word password in the Users Guide by carefully rereading everything without falling asleep this time.
I bought two of these at one time and one responded to the default. I sold it to a friend and kept this mystery machine.

I too have tried NVRAM reset from the front panel and it confirmed and told me to restart but it didn't even lose the TCP/IP URL. Are there other NVRAM resets?

I have no use for a password on the unit but I sure could use some ideas!

Re: Dell 3100cn Password/Factory Reset by ferndoc (6/30/08 7:53 PM) reply + / -
I failed to mention that my machines were 3000cn (responded to defaults) and 3010cn which is still "locked". I found that some of the differences between the two may not be trivial. They look the same and the model numbers are printed very small but some differences are big.

So it was presumptuous of me to append to a 3100cn post but I'll take whatever I can get!

Re: Dell 3100cn Password/Factory Reset by jbinc1 (edited 7/1/08 8:04 AM) reply + / -
Ok. After some research I have come up with the procedure for returning the Dell 3100cn to its factory settings. The first part is from the manual for resetting the NVRAM, which supposedly will restore the original factory default menu settings. The problem is that is does not restore the Network Settings and/or Security settings (i.e. lost/forgotten password). I have tested this method 3 times on 2 different 3100cn's and it has worked swimmingly every time. This must be done from the console on the printer. Here goes...

Procedure #1 Clear NVRAM (under maintenance)
You can restore the original factory default menu settings by initializing NVRAM. (Does not reset Network or Security settings)

1. Press Menu

2. Press "down" until Configure appears, and then press "right"

3. Press "down" until Maintenance appears, and then press "right"

4. Press "down" until Init NVRAM appears, and then press "right"

The Init NVRAM Are you sure? message appears on the operator panel. Press the "enter" button in the center.

5. Wait until you are prompted to restart the printer, then turn off the printer, and then on again.

Procedure #2 Clear NVRAM (under Network)
This will restore the original factory default settings for Network and Security (default username = admin / default password = password (at least in my case)). Keep in mind that the default Network settings are for DHCP.

1. Press Menu

2. Press "down" until Configure appears, and then press "right"

3. Press "down" until Network appears, and then press "right"

4. Press "down" until Init NVRAM appears, and then press "right"

The Init NVRAM Are you sure? message appears on the operator panel. Press the "enter" button in the center.

5. Wait until you are prompted to restart the printer, then turn off the printer, and then on again.

If you want to restore the printer completely to factory defaults, perform both procedures. If you only need to reset the password so you can access/change printer settings you should only have to perform procedure #2.

Re: Re: Dell 3100cn Password/Factory Reset by jago76 (5/25/09 3:41 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much for posting this; can confirm that it works on a 3010cn

Re: Solved : Dell 3100cn Password/Factory Reset by Thankful IT Guy (4/4/12 5:45 AM) reply + / -
This did work. Thank you for taking the time to share this.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters