fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP 2600 colors fade

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP 2600 colors fade by sniper7 (5/15/08 10:36 PM) reply + / -
Hello friends

I have been using hp 2600 for some time now, it worked fine untill now, the magenta and yellow colors are comming out extremely faded, i thought cartridges were the main issue coz i got them refilled with cartridgeworld, but when i used the same cartridges in my friend's hp clj 1600, the colors came out immaculate, my engineer tried cleaning the lenses using compressed air (or atleast he told me so) but still the problem persists. I'd highly appriciate if anyone could help me out here.

Regards
Rajat

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by MichaelTech (5/16/08 7:17 AM) reply + / -
Not keen on your handle, but I can let it pass.
This unit typically does this with third party toner carts.
It is un-likely that the H/V assy. is at fault.
Check the levels of toner, fuser, and belt.
Clean all contacts.{There's a lot!}
Use HP OEM toners. Color printing aint cheap!

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by sniper7 (5/17/08 12:22 AM) reply + / -
thanks mike
but the cartridges worked excellent in the other prnter.
i cleaned all contacts with comp. air
toner levels are fine, there is no leakage
cleaned the trans. belt as well...got any other advice/trick/magic?
cheers!!

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by moe (5/17/08 4:13 AM) reply+1 + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K98

Re: Re: HP 2600 colors fade by sniper7 (5/20/08 6:35 AM) reply + / -
Hi Skyout
i need your help regarding my 2600 printer, i was trying to fix the printer coz i was experiencing fading magenta and yellow cartridges, i came across your reffered manual which guides you to dismantle the printer and clean the scanner optical mirrors, which i did. i got the printer re-assembled but now when i switch the printer on, it says "error 51.21 please switch off and on your printer", i did try switching the printer off and on several times, but the error persists. can you please please help me out with this problem.

thanks in advance.

kind regards

Rajat

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by skyout (5/20/08 11:08 AM) reply+1 + / -
Hi Rajat,
according to the service manual :
The device has experienced an internal hardware error.
51.20 Error—black scanner error
51.21 Error—cyan scanner error
51.22 Error—magenta scanner error
51.23 Error—yellow scanner error
Turn off the power by using the power switch, wait at least 30 seconds, and then turn on the power and wait for the device to
initialize.
If a surge protector is being used, remove it. Plug the device directly into the wall socket. Use the power switch to turn the
device on.
Laser scanners are not replaceable.
Replace the engine.
----------------------------
I wouldn't expect the engine to be defect.
Be sure to ground yourself to avoid static build up.
Check all connectors, i.e. take them off and inspect them, put them back on again. Any improvement?
If not, concentrate your efforts on the cyan scanner.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by sniper7 (5/21/08 12:12 AM) reply + / -
Hi Skyout

IT Worked!!!.....the printer is now printing...but, the pages are comming out very faint...the demo page and service reports are barely visible...please help

Thanks

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by skyout (5/21/08 4:43 AM) reply + / -
Try Calibrate Now. . .
Press Select (Check mark key), Right Arrow, Select, Right Arrow TWICE, Select TWICE, Right Arrow, and finally Select. Run Config Page again and evaluate. If closer, but not quite perfect, try Calibrate Now again.

Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 calibrations to work.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by sniper7 (5/21/08 5:51 AM) reply + / -
tried calliberating, config page looks the same...did the procedure thrice...still the page is very faint...please help

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by sniper7 (5/22/08 1:54 AM) reply + / -
i have opened up to the printer four times now, the fading has got worse....pls help

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by skyout (5/22/08 2:00 AM) reply + / -
It sounds like the high voltage wires are not correctly connected.

They are on the left hand side, at the front of the unit.
Remove the left hand cover and you will see the wires as in the picture here:

http://download.yousendit.com/A498CCF27C3884AD
File will be available for 7 Days or 100 downloads.

I could only find a picture showing the lowest one of the wires, the other 3 are above this one.

Make sure that the cable shoe slides onto the contact in the slot in the black chasis. It is a little difficult to see, you may have to use a magnifying glass and a torch (my eyes are not as good as they used to be).

A link to download the service manual via the training course is above in my posting from 5/17/08 4:13 AM

Re: Re: HP 2600 colors fade by sniper7 (5/22/08 5:16 AM) reply + / -
but i did not touch any of these high voltage wires......i 'll try connecting them again, although i don't think it's gonna make any diff. but will try right now and let u know.....thanks again skyout

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by sniper7 (5/22/08 5:37 AM) reply + / -
yup....it didn't get any better ...someone told me there could be problem with the laser assembly which might not be sitting correctly...but i did try fixing that too....it didn't help

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Anonymous (6/8/08 3:52 PM) reply + / -
I ordered the kit that moe recommended and can confirm this procedure took my faded color printing back to as if the printer was brand-new. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K98

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Stephen (6/8/08 5:25 PM) reply + / -
There is a service note in the US that authorizes a free replacement printer for some fading print issues.

If the print fades from side to side, that is one side is darker and the fading is gradual across the page, then you might be able to get a free replacement printer.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Anonymous (6/8/08 11:44 PM) reply + / -
not here in india, certainly not...we get a replacement only if the printer is within the warranty period of 1yr....anyways i couldn't fix the printer by my own, i had to contact HP who charged me 6500rs ($160) approx. thanks for the help guys.
Cheers!!

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Megaxs (6/18/08 1:08 AM) reply + / -
If i'm correct then you have to clean your laser-scanner mirrors.

After you've cleaned the mirrors and put the laser-scanner together again, you have to cover every hole where wires are fed into the laser-scanner so the problem won't come back.

Due a construction flaw the Fan next to the laser-scanner blows dust into the laser-scanner.

Jan

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Anonymous (6/18/08 3:28 AM) reply + / -
yes i know, i did put all wires back in the circuits, the printer worked ok but the print out was very very faint, almost non-existant.....probably i might have disturbed the scanner unit assembly.

Re: HP 2605 black toner problem by Paulito (6/27/08 6:08 AM) reply + / -
Hi there,

I have a problem with the black toner of my laserjet 2605. It only prints half the page and the other half nothing at all. I changed the cartridge with a new and it did the same thing. Has anybody got any ideas what the problem would be? Thanks

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by detra83 (10/1/08 11:06 AM) reply + / -
I'm having same problem as Paulito. I've followed all the steps for clearing the lenses and after putting it back together, it only prints half of the page, other half is empty. It also doesn't print magenta and blue colors.

I've no idea what the problem could be. I've checked that everything was placed back together as it was in the first place. I'll open it up again, maybe the lenses are not aligned properly. In any case, please post if you have any solution or know the cause of this.

Thanks

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Zulu10 (10/7/08 4:35 PM) reply+1 + / -
I've had the same problem after a clean and rebuild and finally realised what caused it.

When you re-install the laser scanning mirror assembly, if you don't get it perfectly aligned to the printer chassis and hence the toner cartridges, then the laser 'beams' somehow get obstructed and don't print across part of the page.

The answer is to reassemble the printer but leave the back panel off.

Then power up the printer (being carefully not to touch a live part....

From the rear of the printer, look at the right hand printed circuit board: on its upper left side is a tiny push button marked "Test".

When you press this the printer should generate a page full of thin horizontal lines using one colour black, yellow, cyan, magenta at a time.

If your lines are not precisely horizontal then you need to loosen off the three scews that hold the laser/mirror/scanner assembly and gently push it in the correct rotation required to make the lines horizontal. In my case I had to continue to apply pressure whilst I tightened the screws.

Once this was done, another test print generated truly horizontal lines and behold the printer now works perfectly.

Hope this helps - and maybe if the author of the original procedure sees this then he might like to include it as a footnote - but hopefully more eloquently worded than my typing.

Regards all

Z10

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Anonymous (10/8/08 12:29 AM) reply + / -
Zulu10, thank you for your reply. I have also realized this might be a problem and after opening up the printer again, I got it to work perfectly now.

The problem was exactly as you have described it. The screw didn't fit exactly right into its place and the mirror assembly was offset by a very small margain, though still big enough to cause it to stop printing. After readjusting it again, it's working like when I bought it.

Thank you again for your help.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by HP-Printer-Dave (10/23/08 9:48 PM) reply + / -
Hey guys, thanks for the info on the faded print in magenta & yellow. I fixed one by doing the hard job of removing the laser scanner black box & physically cleaning all the scanner mirrors & re-assembling it all. Colors are now dark as new. I did not know that this printer has only 2 lasers that go back & forth between 2 colors each. There are 4 mirrors though. It is true that the stupid placement if the fan allows toner to be blown in on the lower 2 scanner slots & settling on the mirrors over time.
I originally tried very strong compressed air from the front
scanner slots but that only barely worked & so I knew I was on the right track but found you cannot properly clean the mirrors from the front. It was a full 1 hour job.

Re: Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Andrew Hong (11/3/08 5:03 PM) reply + / -
Hey, I'm having major troubles of my own similar to yours. My printer was leaving streaks, so I took out the cartridges and used compressed air to clean the space. Well, now I'm getting an error that says 51.22, which is the same as you guys. It's the magenta laser scanner.

Which contacts are you talking about that solved your 51.22 error code?

Thanks for the help.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by andrewhong90 (11/3/08 5:23 PM) reply + / -
Forgot to mention that I've tried turning it on and off, and I tried to clean the little clear slots from the front, but no success.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by hp-printer-dave (12/16/08 7:15 PM) reply + / -
I have now fixed 3 of these printers by removing the laser scanner assy. & cleaning all 4 of the mirrors. Now color is dark all the way across -- looks good. BUT, I can't get all 4 colors to sync with each other. Many calibrations & still the colors overlap each other. Any help on color alignment ??? Yes I have upgraded the firmware.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by nivek (12/17/08 6:39 AM) reply + / -
Hey Dave I dont know if you read Zulu10 post but it sounds like your issue just slightly different. The first 4600 I took the scanners out I had the same issue with color alignment. Im not sure on this model but on the 4600 I know there is the scanner shutter assembly that gets in the way when reinstalling the units and it causes the same effect you think its in right but your just a hair off. you loosen it up and play around alittle and next thing you know it goes ito the correct position.

51.22 error by Killface (2/5/09 4:24 PM) reply + / -
I have had to clean my magenta mirror several times. my latest cleaning has screwed it up though:

51.22 Error - Magenta laser scanner error

Will smacking it with a hammer fix it?

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by moe (2/7/09 3:15 AM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K98

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Esgaroth (3/20/09 11:05 AM) reply + / -
To those that have gotten the 51.22 or similar error after cleaning the mirrors, There are two ribbon cables that attach to the right side of the plastic housing that holds the mirrors. I left one of these off and got that same error. Opening it back up and attaching the cable fixed the problem. These cables are not visible once the panel with the circuit boards is reattached.

Re: Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Ihab (5/5/09 8:57 PM) reply + / -
You are a genius! Thanks. Honestly I was feeling really bad after performing the scanner lens cleaning to see myself facing another problem. Thanks again, my printer now is band new ;)

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Anonymous (5/11/09 12:13 PM) reply + / -
If the color if correct in some places on the page but faded in other places the mirrors inside laser/scaner assembly need to be cleaned. Compressed air is a good way to make sure you didnt leave any cotton fibers on the assembly after they are cleaned but to clean the mirrors you need to use cotton swabs to remove the residue that has collected on the mirrors.

Re: Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Juliano (6/15/09 1:27 PM) reply + / -
Laser scanner unit dirty need to be cleaned.
Be careful when you clean the mirror & lens.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by pldoolittle (10/27/09 4:23 PM) reply + / -
I was having the same issue with magenta fade. At about 23,000 pages it was bad enough that I went searching for an answer. I came here first (as always), and was lead to this thread. Moe's kit http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K98 worked as advertised

I had no idea just how bad it had gotten. Before cleaning the laser assembly, my config printout looked like this;

Cyan Cyan
Lt Pink Yellow
Yellow Green
Grey Grey

After cleaning, I was amazed to see this:

Cyan PURPLE
RED ORANGE
Yellow DK GREEN
Grey Grey

Moe, this site is the bomb. You have now saved THREE HP printers from the junkpile. I didn't need parts this time, but when I do FYOP will always be my supplier. Many thanks!

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Anonymous (11/2/09 8:56 PM) reply + / -
I purchased my HP2600n in June2008 and have printed well over 10,000 pages. The colors just recently went wonky mostly with magenta. I followed the instructions in Moe's video and even though I'm not very mechanical, I had no problems with the fix and reassembly. It works perfectly now and I'm thrilled with the DIY that saved the effort and expense of servicing, recycling this unit and potential purchase of a new printer. Thanks to Moe and his forum for providing the important service of keeping this information available.

Re: Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Franciscus (2/7/10 3:03 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem too, but I managed to fix it. Thanks to Moe for his video, and Zulu10 for his inspiring post and the printouts are perfect in colo(u)r and alignment.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by YorkshireDave (2/25/10 12:57 AM) reply + / -
Hi
Well I'm now suffereing from this overall fading problem too.
I have always used aftermarket toner and found it spot on. This last lot however is all coming out washed out.
My mirrors are perfectly clean.
When I put the old toner back in the colours go solid again which leads me to conclude that it cannot be a machine problem.
My dilema is that the manufacturer (who's been a brick) has sent with the last set of toners a test page for each colour and they are spot on!
So, has any one any ideas what could be the matter?
Have to say people, I'd always rated HP stuff but now I'm pretty convinced I'll go to Canon for my next printer.
David

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by NuUserHere (11/10/10 11:07 AM) reply + / -
Hi, My HP Color Laserjet 1600 (same than 2600) has a fading Magenta tone while printing my documents, the problem increased as time goes on, i searched the whole web without finding any answers, even HP Canada were not helpful at all, in fact they told me they don't support that product anymore and hung up on me.

I found this forum thread and ordered the video " telling me how to unmount my printer and clean the lenses, i've done it with succes but right after I plug back my printer, half of my pages were blank, the reason (as explained in the video) is that i did not placed the laser/optic unit properly. I then RE-Dismantled the whole damn thing, replaced the optic/laser unit properly, did a recalibration and tested it ... It Works Perfectly like a brand new one !

As I said, I searched EVERYWHERE on internet to find the answer to my problem and this video solved my issues and 300$ of ink. Pay close attention to the video where it explains how to properly mount the scanner and it will save you a lot of dismantling.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Goslingbiz (11/21/10 1:44 PM) reply + / -
If I could crawl through this monitor and kiss you guys, I would.

I've been fighting with my 2600n for months. It was this page that taught me how to fix the faded magenta problem.

And I was ready to give up on it and Freecycle the bastard after paying for new toners and a new laser scanner assembly, only to have the black and cyan quit printing over half the page.

Last ditch effort, I did yet another google search on "2600n cyan half page" and was yet again directed back here, where I saw the explanation of adjusting a probably inappropriately seated scanner assembly and using the "test" button to check it.

SUCCESS!

And I have to say, this is a perfect example of "there's a reason things are done in a particular order." After having this thing disassembled a dozen times, I got cavalier and decided it maybe wasn't so important to put that bottom screw in first before putting in the two top screws.

AAAAANGH! Wrong answer!

This time, I put that bottom screw in first, and felt a decidedly noticeable sinking of the scanner assembly into position.

I hope to NEVER have to consult this forum again! Seriously! I signed on here JUST to give my thanks.

C-

HP 2600 colors fade right side of page by MikeVcr (3/28/11 10:41 AM) reply + / -
I had the problem with the magenta fading (mostly on the left side of the page) and took apart and cleaned the lenses and mirrors in the laser assembly. Reassembled and recalibrated many times. It fixed the problem of the faded magenta (now the red is great). However, when I print the Config report, it prints the primary colors fine (on the left) but the right side of the page is now fading and all the secondary colors are faded. The black is fine. Is it just a realigning of the laser assembly that is needed? I printed a test page (with button on the back) and the lines are a bit out but its also faded on the right.. blue and red are faded (blue about 1.25" from right edge and red about .5" from edge). The yellow and the black go all the way to the right side of the page.

Any insight would be helpful.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by moe (3/28/11 11:43 AM) reply + / -
When reinstalling the assembly, move it around a bit. You can actually feel it seating into place. Don't put any screws in until you are sure it is seated. Look at the sides of the scanner to confirm that they are flush with the metal mounting plate. Only then, put in the screws and tighten them. Always leave the covers off until you have done the engine test. That saves a little bit of disassembly/reassembly time.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Vrtguy (3/31/11 11:59 PM) reply + / -
Took apart as per instructions. Unfortunately print is awful. When I print the demo page all I get is a bit of image(HP+ logo), otherwise the page is blank. When I press the test button I only get thin lines about 20cms long. Calibrated etc several times.
Help!

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by MikeVcr (7/8/11 10:35 AM) reply + / -
I just replaced the black cartridge and now the black if faded on the right side of the page. Probably 1/5th of the page is faded out. Tried re-shaking the cartridge and installing... and have tried cleaning several times and even hit the button in the back. Still not printing black on the right side of page. Replaced all the color cartridges too and they are working fine.

Anybody have a suggestion? Would be appreciated

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by moe (7/8/11 5:16 PM) reply + / -
If it was working OK before you replaced the black cartridge, then one would assume that you put a bad one in. Do you have the old one you can put back in and try?

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by MikeVcr (7/11/11 8:17 AM) reply + / -
I took that cartridge back to the store and received a replacement. Its working better now... still not all the way to the right but its a lot better than it was. I guess it was just a faulty cartridge. Thanks for your help...

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by hp-printer-dave (7/29/11 11:01 PM) reply + / -
I recently had a 2600 with all the colors out of alignment & the black was the worst, about 1/8 inch off & I did fix it!!! I tried many calibrations & cleaning the mirrors, upgrading the firmware, but no change at all in the alignment. I almost gave up & was ready to tell the customer I couldn't fix it.
I even figured out what all those numbers in a row at the bottom of the config page mean on the 2600. --- They are not there on the 2605. They represent the X & Y of each colored line. If you could go in & change some numbers it would change the alignment but you can't.

But, I finally tried the "SUPER -- full reset" listed on HP's website but doesn't say it will fix my problem but --- it put all the lines back in perfect order. I could hardly believe it but, it really worked. It did not change any settings because they were already set to factory defaults. I tried for 2 hours & at the end it was a 5 minute fix!
I even had another formatter board with me with the same problem & put it in their printer & ran the SUPER reset on it & it fixed that formatter too. Now I have a good spare.

The "SUPER --full reset is done by :
turning the printer off & then holding down the left & right arrows while turning on the printer & keep holding them till "perm storage init" is on the display & let go. When it asks for "English" yes or no choose your language. After that it does a calibration & when you do a configuration report hopefully you will see perfectly aligned "L" shaped lines in the corners & crisp non fuzzy text. Hope this helps.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by hp-printer-dave (7/29/11 11:01 PM) reply + / -
I recently had a 2600 with all the colors out of alignment & the black was the worst, about 1/8 inch off & I did fix it!!! I tried many calibrations & cleaning the mirrors, upgrading the firmware, but no change at all in the alignment. I almost gave up & was ready to tell the customer I couldn't fix it.
I even figured out what all those numbers in a row at the bottom of the config page mean on the 2600. --- They are not there on the 2605. They represent the X & Y of each colored line. If you could go in & change some numbers it would change the alignment but you can't.

But, I finally tried the "SUPER -- full reset" listed on HP's website but doesn't say it will fix my problem but --- it put all the lines back in perfect order. I could hardly believe it but, it really worked. It did not change any settings because they were already set to factory defaults. I tried for 2 hours & at the end it was a 5 minute fix!
I even had another formatter board with me with the same problem & put it in their printer & ran the SUPER reset on it & it fixed that formatter too. Now I have a good spare.

The "SUPER --full reset is done by :
turning the printer off & then holding down the left & right arrows while turning on the printer & keep holding them till "perm storage init" is on the display & let go. When it asks for "English" yes or no choose your language. After that it does a calibration & when you do a configuration report hopefully you will see perfectly aligned "L" shaped lines in the corners & crisp non fuzzy text. Hope this helps.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by RgSchmidt (10/27/11 2:45 PM) reply + / -
I have had this printer for about 4 years now. I have cleaned the lenses anually. It has ALWAYS come back to new condition. This cleaning however Not so much. It started with the red fading on the edges. Today in 2011 the whole print is faded. I did try the SUPER reset and it seemed to fix the test monkey but printing from other programs the print remains faded. All Cartridges have toner BUT I have a couple NON HP "refills" I am getting a "NON HP supply in use" and a ? where the black level should be. It was showing half full before cleaning. I have a windows 7 operation system so FX toolbox is no longer available to me. HELP

Re: HP 2600 colors fade & not printing by PurpleOrange (11/29/11 2:09 AM) reply + / -
Prints colours very, very faint. Yello & Magenta barely visable. I do not want to open it up as I'm scared I might mess it up completely. Tried calibrating & cleaning. Easy way to fix this?

Re: Re: HP 2600 colors fade & not printing by moe (11/29/11 9:27 AM) reply + / -
No. The kit offered on this site shows disassembly and cleaning step by step. If you're not mechanically inclined, I wouldn't recommend you try it as there's quite a bit of disassembly to get to the scanner assembly. Opening it and cleaning is the easy part.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by HappyUser (11/29/11 9:58 AM) reply + / -
This isn't a hard fix. Follow Moe's advice and you won't go wrong. Try and cut corners or cheap out and you will regret it.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by spotterfc (2/4/12 12:50 PM) reply + / -
Best #20 I've spent in a long long time. Printing like new again after 2 or 3 heart stopping moments - each of which caused by not following the instructions in the video exactly as shown - to emphasise what HappyUser says!

#1 - Do not shut the front door while putting the laser unit back in - the shutter control widget in the printer gets in the way and stops the unit aligning/seating properly - might explain some of the alignment issues above ^^^.

#2 - Make sure all connectors are fully 'home' 50.9 fuser error caused somehow by this - went away when I dismantled and rebuilt the entire thing again, but then being clever and not putting all the covers back on to test...

#3 - Plug in all the connectors - 51.22 Error caused by not plugging in the purple cable from the laser assembly - spent ages trying to figure out if the ribbon cabels were attached! Couldn't see the problem for looking until I started taking the cables off in order and found it already loose!

Moe, you are a GENIUS! Thank you.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by bluemetal (6/27/13 10:38 AM) reply + / -
I have followed all the above recommendations but still almost no Black color after the lens cleaning. All the 3 other colors are perfect. Different cartridges, different optic boxes all producing the same results. Here are some pictures of the inside of the printer so one can see that the tabs for the optic box are well inserted and in "normal" positions: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_metal/sets/72157634260544185/

I have already done all the reset, including a super reset VNRAM.

I am running out of options to get it to print in all 4 colors.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by sue o (6/27/13 5:04 PM) reply + / -
Make sure that the ribbon cable for the Black is not damaged and fully plugged in. Your photos do not show these cables. I am speaking of the white flat cables that plug into the scanner. There is one cable for each color (black, magenta, cyan and yellow).

Re: Re: HP 2600 colors fade by bluemetal (6/27/13 7:18 PM) reply + / -
Actually the cables are in pairs. The one at the bottom connects to the lower lasers (Cyan and Magenta) and the one above it to the top two (Black and Yellow). The top two ribbon cables go the front of the printer and connect to the sensor and contacts on the cartridges (those on the left inside the printer).

I have replaced the cable that connects to the Black and Yellow lasers (following your recommendation to check them) and there is no change in behavior.

I have spares for almost everything in the 2600n because many years ago it was cheaper to buy a new printer (that came with full loaded cartridges and not partial one like others) than to buy a set of cartridges. I took apart the printer but kept most of the electronic and optic bits.

I have also replaced the boards (same results) and the optic box itself - same thing. I have ordered an original black cartridge just to be sure I did not win the jackpot with a bad cartridge, though when I change the chips in the cartridges they print as long as they are not in the black position.

Without a full working printer to see if anything is screwed wrong somehow, it will be difficult to fix this one.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by sue o (6/28/13 6:35 AM) reply + / -
I am talking about the 4 separate white flat ribbon cables, not the 2. I personally made this same mistake and got no black on my own machine, so take another look and see if you can find the 4 cables and check the them very carefully.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by moe (6/28/13 9:32 AM) reply + / -
I was reading your post carefully and it says "almost" no black color. If there were something wrong with a ribbon cable, then almost would not apply. Could you do an engine test and post the results to flickr. The engine test is the button that is behind the small square metal plate on the back of the printer, or if you have it open, it's on the board the scanner plugs into.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by bluemetal (6/28/13 2:24 PM) reply + / -
I will check the flat cables once again. In the meantime here is the picture of the engine test. You can see the faint black lines at the very top of the page and then they disappear later. Every other color is just perfect through the whole page and aligned(which for me means that the box is aligned properly and there is something preventing the black color being transferred).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_metal/9160141333/

I will now check the wires/cables that go to the front part of the printer and check for bad contacts.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by moe (edited 6/28/13 2:36 PM) reply + / -
Yeah, you don't want to waste time with the connectors. If there were a problem with them, there would be no black at all. You have something else going on there. Either a HV problem or a bad black cartridge.
The HV board is the large board on the left side. The HV contacts are the V shaped springs that contact the left side of the cartridges. There is one for the drum and one for the toner bin. You could check and make sure they aren't bent out of shape, sticking or dirty.

Re: Re: HP 2600 colors fade by bluemetal (edited 6/28/13 7:18 PM) reply + / -
FOUND THE SOLUTION!

As you can read below, I checked the electrical diagram and found that the printer has a solenoid for the black developer and one for the CMY. I produced the same error on CMY as I had in black so it had to be with the developer. Looking closely, I noticed that the rotor for the black solenoid had a hook on it and then I saw the spring on the CMY. Duhh! When taking it apart the first time for the lens cleaning, the spring probably was removed by accident when I pulled the cables to the side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_metal/9163858322/

Found another spring and now the printer is working perfectly again. Thank you Moe and Sue for your help.

I had written this before I found the issue so I let it be here for reference:

I have tested the flat cable to the HV board (contact by contact) just to be sure. Then I tested every contact across the cartridges by measuring the resistance from the contacts on the HV board (DEV1 for Magenta, DEV2 for Cyan and so on) against the other side of the printer (Ground). All had the same resistance (about 6M Ohms) and confirming that the contact is established between the High Voltage board and the springs.

I then tested that the toner bin contacts and all were working with the HV board at contact PRI. Again nothing different for the black color.

Then I went and replaced the whole HV with a spare I have. Same thing. I then tested to see if the ground wire that connects to the drums on the right side of printer would cause an error when disconnected. They do not but they make the color be completely gone and not the very faint that I am getting for black.

I have also tested another original HP black cartridge (3 different ones now) and again no black.

I have looked at the electrical diagram to check if there is anything specific to black. Sure enough there are 2 developing cylinders: 1 for black and 1 for CMY. I have found the solenoids to both ( right side of the printer - top back black and 3/4 down back for CMY). The black solenoid is working but if disconnect the CMY solenoid then the 3 colors behave exactly as the black is doing now - some faint traces at the top of the page then nothing. The black solenoid is working so maybe it is something with the developer side for black (DEV4)though the continuity test worked.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by nat@asis.com (6/30/13 1:53 PM) reply + / -
My 2605dn was working fine -- then started printing pages of more or less solid color (black with some pink and green, shifting to green, then to yellow, and finally to light pink/white/dirt). None of the intended data shows at all. Same result when printing a demo page. I've removed and inspected the big cb on the left side but found nothing wrong there. What do you think??

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by dmzcompute (7/1/13 5:24 AM) reply + / -
Your description of the problem is a mess of mumble jumble I do not understand. Run the configuration page and there should be 4 solid bars across the page at the bottom, one for each color. Look at those bars and if any of them have fading to one side or missing color completely, then you need to clean the laser/scanner optics.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by nat@asis.com (7/1/13 8:54 AM) reply + / -
"mess of mumble jumble describes" what I'm getting pretty well. The whole page is coated. Top 4 inches of the page is a mixture of colors that appears mostly black, then shifting to mostly green for 3" or so, then yellow, and finally much lighter more or less pink. I've run the configuration page with no change. It doesn't appear to be attempting to print any of the intended information. I can post a picture of what it's doing if there's a way to do that with this forum.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by moe (7/1/13 9:24 AM) reply + / -
Forum doesn't allow posting of pictures. You can post it to an image site like imgur.com

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by nat@asis.com (7/1/13 9:47 AM) reply + / -
How about I put the picture on my facebook page? (I'm Nat Childs) That would be easy. If not I'll register on imgur and put it there. (We have a Hughes satellite link for internet access and it's being painfully slow this morning!)

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by nat@asis.com (7/1/13 10:25 AM) reply + / -
Picture is posted on my FB page in a new album titled "hp 2605dn (sick) printed image". I hope you can see it.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by nat@asis.com (7/3/13 3:44 PM) reply + / -
You folks have been very helpful to others and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this problem. I've posted a picture of a print-out both on my FB page and on imgur. I'm not sure how you access it there but my username there is NatChilds. I'll very much appreciated any help you can give!

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by nat@asis.com (7/3/13 3:48 PM) reply + / -
Looks like the picture can be seen at http://natchilds.imgur.com.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by renegade1080 (7/15/13 2:45 PM) reply + / -
Hello all,
recently, I opened up my HP LaserJet 2605dn to solve an issue related to the magenta toner not working.

The following instructions I used are below:
http://www.reeves-hall.net

It worked great and my color now works great.

The issue I now have is, the back panel of the printer seems to feel energized (It actually feels like that all over the metal printer chassis). Its Almost like a ground fault has occurred somewhere in the printer from the high voltage side(left hand side).

I understand that toner printers require high voltage to maintain the toner levels, but this seems a bit excessive.

Can anyone else confirm that your printer does the same? If you feel the back panel, you should feel a tingly sensation on your fingers.

Thanks

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by dmzcompute (7/15/13 3:07 PM) reply + / -
Since you took off the back cover and boards in the back it would seem that you have not replaced one of them correctly. I would recheck the work you did in the back.

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by pmaxon (9/24/13 3:25 PM) reply + / -
I have been fighting this for a week now. I did this a year ago without problems following the reeves-hall instructions. This time, all colors are faded after cleaning. I have had it apart probably 5 times now, have blown out with my air compressor, cleaned mirrors, adjusted the box numerous times but to no avail. I have calibrated a minimum of 3 times after each attempt. All cartridges are HP and brand new. I think there might be another problem. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by MIke Gregory (1/17/14 12:14 PM) reply + / -
Hello,

I have ran into to same situation many times. Even after cleaning the scanner lens the print is either still faded on the same color or all colors. Probably what has happened is that when you used the compressed air which has happened to me, all it did was blow the dust back on the lens. What you need to do is take a soft brush and get any dust off all mirrors inside the laser scanner. also, if you see any smudges must us a dry cloth that does not release any particles from it in order to get rid of the smudges. Done use compressed air, if just ruins what you did. then give it a try.

If after this process still faded, replace the laser scanner and it will fix issue.

Contact this company, they really helped me figure out this problem the first time it happened.

http://orionmarket.com/
or (877) 755-5300

Re: HP 2600 colors fade by Anonyz (5/28/14 9:16 AM) reply + / -
Hi my hp laser-jet 2600n printer is printing one document good and the other faded right after even when I replaced the cartridges and did the calibration and cleaning. What should I do now?

Re: HP 2600 colors fade - HOW TO AVOID PROBLEM !!! by Bill-2 (8/13/14 3:03 AM) reply + / -
Cleaning the mirrors etc. every few years works well, but it soon becomes a bore, and carries a risk of damaging something!

So has anyone tried to avoid the problem, for example by taping over the 4 horizontal slots behind the cartridges with transparent material, to keep the dust out of the optics?

The material would have to be optically near perfect. How about cling-foil, or the stiff transparent sheets often used as the cover pages of bound documents? Or perhaps there's enough space for thin pieces of glass?

Cheers, Bill

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters