fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Designjet 500ps cartridge issues

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by different_nick (4/20/08 2:36 PM) reply + / -
Hi Everyone,

I have a Designjet 500ps (C7769C) that recently stopped printing in the middle of a job and now all four ink cartridges are flashing 'X' indicating there's an error with the cartridge. I have tried replacing the cartridges, cleaning the contacts and resetting the EEROM to no avail.

This was the original issue and it was preventing me from shutting down the printer; the menus would work for a couple of minutes from when the printer was turned on at the wall, and then the screen would only display the flashing cartridge icons. The only way to get into the service menu etc was to turn the printer off at the wall then back on. This worked long enough for me to do some troubleshooting in the service menu (EEROM reset etc), but I made the mistake of starting the priming procedure without checking to see I had the starter print heads, and now i can't cancel this test.

I got into the service menu while turning the printer on at the wall and reset the EEROM again, but it still prompts for the priming procedure. Does anyone know how to cancel this procedure?
I need to replace the ink supply station to fix the cartridge issue but I need to get this resolved first.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (4/20/08 5:54 PM) reply + / -
If you are talking about the ink cartridges and not the printheads see if the below helps at all. If the printheads report back.

Troubleshooting the ink cartridge error messages
Turn the printer on.

Remove and reseat the affected ink cartridge(s).

If the problem persists, remove the affected ink cartridge(s).

Turn the printer off.

Clean the electrical contacts on the Ink Supply Station with a lint free cloth dampened with water.

Dry the electrical contacts on the ink supply station with a dry lint free cloth.

Turn the printer on.

Re-install the affected ink cartridge(s).

If problems persist, check the firmware version of the printer by following the instructions below:

Highlight the Set-upmenu and press ENTER.

Highlight Printer information and press ENTER.

If View and Print are offered as options, select View and press ENTER.

Note the Engine F/W version.

If the Firmware is not at least A.02.01, upgrade to the latest firmware and attempt to verify functionality.

If problems persist, check the status of the cartridge(s) by following the instructions below:

Highlight the Ink Systemmenu and press ENTER.

Highlight Information and press ENTER.

Highlight Ink Cartridges and press ENTER.

Highlight the cartridge that has the issue and press ENTER.

Check the Status and the Expiration Date of the cartridge.

Repeat Steps D and E for any other cartridges that have problems.

If the Status of the cartridge is expired and the expiration date is in the future perform the following:

Check the system date on all of the computers that print to the Designjet printer for a date that is in the future and set them to the correct date.

Reset the cartridges by using the reset.tcl file (file is obtainable from the Hewlett Packard Customer Support Call Center).

If the Firmware is not at least A.02.01, upgrade to the latest firmware.

NOTE: It may be necessary to boot the printer up in service mode to upgrade the firmware.
If the problem continues, replace the affected ink cartridge(s).

Following replacement attempt to verify functionality.

If problems persist continue with running an Ink Supply Station Service test (listed below).

Ink Supply Station Service test
From the Set-Up menu, press the UP ARROW and ENTER keys at the same time to enter Service Mode.

In the Service Tests submenu, scroll to Ink Supply Station and press ENTER.

Remove all of the ink cartridges.

If the test passes, continue with Step 6.

If the test fails, replace the Ink Supply Station. Refer to pages 8-7, 8-8, 8-48, and 8-49 of the 500/800 Series Service Manual for instructions. Attempt to verify functionality. Continue with the remaining steps if the problem persists.

Check the Ink Tubes system for leaks and replace if a leak is detected. Refer to pages 6-60 through 6-63 and 8-52 through 8-54 of the 500/800 Series Service Manual for instructions. Attempt to verify functionality.

NOTE: If a new tubes system is installed, the setup printheads must be installed and the new tubes must be primed with the setup printheads installed.
If no problems are found with the Ink Tubes system or the problem continues, replace the Electronics module. Refer to pages 8-5, 8-6, 8-24, 8-25, and 8-26 of the HP Designjet 500/800 Series Service Manual for instructions.

Following replacement, turn the printer on.

Allow the printer to complete initialization and verify printer functionality as instructed below.

Verifying printer functionality
Turn the printer on.

Allow initialization to complete.

Load media into the printer.

From the main front-panel menu, select the Ink menu and press ENTER.

Select Troubleshooting and press ENTER.

Follow the instructions on the front panel.

Following a successful troubleshooting plot, have the customer send a file from the computer and make sure the file prints correctly.

Check the status of the cartridges by following the instructions below:

Highlight the Ink System menu and press ENTER.

Highlight Information and press ENTER.

Highlight Ink Cartridges and press ENTER.

Highlight the first cartridge and press ENTER.

Check the Status of the cartridge. The status should be ?inserted?.

Repeat the above steps for the other three cartridges

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by different_nick (4/20/08 7:02 PM) reply + / -
Thank you very much for your help, I'll update the firmware and report back.

Thanks again!

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by different_nick (4/20/08 9:43 PM) reply + / -
Alright, i managed to update the firmware by entering service mode on startup, so that is all up to date.

However it is still asking for the starter print heads to complete the priming procedure. I have found the part number for a spare set (the originals disappeared years ago) so I may have to order them. Do you know of any other way to cancel this priming procedure? Resetting the EEROM etc does not help unfortunately!

Thanks for your help

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (4/21/08 5:09 AM) reply + / -
Does not make sense. Only time it asks for setup printheads is when you replace the tube assembly. Is it possible that you are having an issue with the tube assembly itself. You can usually tell when the ink is not flowing. Also did you perform the ink supply station test to make sure you do not have an issue with the ink supply station. I have had to replace a couple of them recently, not for your problem but maybe things are starting to go on some of them.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by different_nick (4/21/08 1:59 PM) reply + / -
I (stupidly) started the priming procedure from the service menu without checking I had the setup printheads. In retrospect it was pointless to start it as the issue is with cartridge errors, not getting ink to the printhead. I have a set of setup printheads on order so it will be sorted shortly.

I did do the ink supply station test which passed succesfully, however if new cartridges and a firmware update does not fix the issue (which i'll soon know once I can get this priming procedure out of the way), then is the supply station the most likely cause?

Thanks again for your excellent help

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (4/21/08 7:44 PM) reply + / -
Did you try removing the power plug from the plotter and then letting it sit for about 1 minute. Plug it back in and turn on again. Keep in mind turning off with the power button in front is like turning off a tv set. It's still remember everything. When you disconnect the power it loses anyting it was set to do.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by different_nick (4/22/08 1:45 PM) reply + / -
Good point, I haven't tried that. I've been having to turn the machine off at by pulling the plug (power button wasn't responding), but I haven't left it out for anything more than a few seconds.

I'll try that and report back. Thanks again!

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by different_nick (5/8/08 2:15 PM) reply + / -
Thought i should close off this post for others benefit.

I wasn't able to clear the priming procedure so i got the set of startup printheads and completed the priming cycle.

The issue with the cartridges was resolved by updating the firmware on the printer to the latest version and then resetting the EEROM.

Hopefully this is of help to others in future.

Re: Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Anonymous (1/8/09 4:00 PM) reply + / -
put a piece of tape on the electrical contacts of the active printheads

hello

Re: Designjet 500ps leakage by cranks (2/19/09 4:54 PM) reply + / -
Are there any quick fixes to prevent one color from leaking during printing? I don't know if I can fix problem without replacing feeder tube assembly.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (2/19/09 6:20 PM) reply + / -
No you need to replace the tube assembly.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by mvrtech (8/31/09 5:16 PM) reply + / -
am looking for a pdf of the service manual

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by PaulTerri (3/9/10 12:43 PM) reply + / -
Made the mistake of starting the priming procedure without checking to see I had the starter print heads, and now I can't cancel this test. I dont want to buy starter ink heads how do you cancel this test.

Re: Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Anonymous (6/3/10 9:35 AM) reply + / -
Where did you buy the startup print heads? I started the priming process by mistake also.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by nivek (6/3/10 10:19 AM) reply + / -
I buy mine through Partsnow. Or Im sure HP would sell them to you. All they are is pieces of plastic that look like printheads with empty cavities. The ink just fills up in them and helps pressurize the tube assembly to get rid of air bubbles.

The Priming Procedure Fails by Chams (9/10/13 6:19 PM) reply + / -
Hello,

I have a little problem with my HP Designjet 500 plotter

After changing the ink supply tubes.

He told me:

- Open the cover and remove normal heads to prepare the ink system.

then:

1. Raise the head cover

2. Remove normal heads

3. Close head cover

4. Close cover.

Good reception.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by nivek (9/10/13 9:02 PM) reply + / -
Not exactly sure what your asking. You need to follow the steps listed in the service manual with the startup print heads installed. The only problem one might have is if you have a low ink cart it will not perform the procedure. So if its not running it right check that.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/11/13 11:48 AM) reply + / -
The Priming Procedure Fails

after installing the new tube assembly it is impossible to set the heads configuration to purge tubes with ink.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (9/11/13 3:52 PM) reply + / -
You emailed me and I replied that you need setup heads. Do you have setup heads yes or no? Setup heads are not printheads but empty reservoirs us to purge the ink. If no you need to get them. There seems to be a language issue so without clear information it is very hard to help you.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/11/13 4:07 PM) reply + / -
Yes, I have with me the setup heads but I do not know how to use them.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (9/11/13 7:59 PM) reply + / -
What the machine is telling you is to remove the regular printheads and insert the setup heads in their place. When you do this, the printer will then start the priming procedure and when done will tell you to replace the setup heads with the regular printheads

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/12/13 4:44 AM) reply + / -
thank you for your help if that is the setup heads is placed in order or ??

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (9/12/13 4:51 AM) reply + / -
I do not understand you. The setup heads are all the same so you remove the regular printheads and put the setup heads in their place, close the carriage cover and the center cover and the machine will prime the tubes. When the machine has primmed the tubes it will then tell you to remove the setup heads and put back the regular printheads.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/12/13 5:10 AM) reply + / -
I removed the regular printheads and I put setup heads as you said but the printer always asks me to open the hood and remove regular printheads to prepare the ink system.

I did everything but the same message comes back every time.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (9/12/13 8:42 PM) reply + / -
Are you sure you have setup heads? If so put in the setup heads and then turn the printer off and then turn it back on and see what happens. If you still get the message, then the setup heads you have are not the right ones. Setup heads are a plain plastic with no markings for color, etc.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/13/13 3:33 AM) reply + / -
I have with me the setup heads, when I do what you say just the same message appears that I can not turn the printer off by the power button and when I press the button to turn it off it flashes constantly.

Yet setup heads came with the ink supply tube.

(I start the printer using the power cable and I also turn off by removing the power cable)

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (edited 9/13/13 5:16 AM) reply + / -
Where did you get the tube assembly. Is it original HP or aftermarket. Each setup head as a small chip on it that is read by the printer to tell the printer that it is a setup head. If you do not have the chip on each head then that is the issue. When you open the carriage assembly to replace each printhead with a setup head the display on the plotter should show each head as it is installed. If it does not then the setup heads are not right. One other item which is rare is the cover open switch on the plotter. When you open the printer center cover to put in the setup heads, a switch tells the printer the cover is open and when you close the cover the switch now tells the plotter the setup heads have been installed. If that switch is in the down position (cover closed) and does not raise up, then the plotter does not know you have put in the heads since it is waiting for the cover to be opened. To test, remove the power cable and open the center cover. Leave the cover open and then turn on the plotter. It should tell you to close the cover at some point. If it does not then that could be the issue and you need to check on that switch.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/14/13 12:15 PM) reply + / -
I bought the entire tract in INCOREWEB, if I tried everything you said but the same message comes back every time.

(You think the problem could be at the Ink supply station or the motherboard)

Is it possible to restore the motherboard?

I'm starting to lose hope well for my printer, here is a week that I can not find a solution.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (9/14/13 8:29 PM) reply + / -
I do not know what to tell you. The message is still asking for the setup heads and it looks like you have them inserted and that they have already primmed the ink system. Here is what I would do. Remove the setup heads and place the normal printheads in the carriage. Close the carriage cover and the center cover and see what happens. If you get the same message, then the carriage should have moved over for you to insert the setup heads. If that is the case turn the plotter off and then back on and see if the same message and the carriage has moved over. If it has open the center cover, open the carriage cover and remove the regular printheads and insert the setup heads and then close the carriage cover and close the center cover and see what happens at this point. If still asking for the setup heads I would think you have the wrong setup heads or they do not have the correct chips to tell the printer they are setup heads. One other item I did not mention in my email response is when you lift up the center cover and open the carriage top cover and remove one of the heads the display on the printer menu should change to show the 4 slots with an X in the slot for the head you just removed. Does that happen. If not then the issue could be that cover open switch I mentioned in my previous post.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/16/13 5:49 PM) reply + / -
here is still not happening, but when I changed the truck here makes me system error 86:01

1. open hood
2. turn off the printer
3. clear the paper path
4. turn on the printer
5. aligning the printheads

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (9/16/13 8:14 PM) reply + / -
No idea what you are saying. 86:01 is a carriage axis shutdown due to an obstruction or service station issues. No idea what you mean by changed the truck.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/17/13 3:25 AM) reply + / -
as the carriage could not recognize the setup heads I had the idea to change it to see here but apparently worked but during initialization there is a system error 86:01

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (9/17/13 5:12 AM) reply + / -
Well you need to check the movement of the carriage assembly. Was the belt put on correctly? Does the carriage move at all? If you open the center cover you can stick some paper in the cover open switch to see what happens on power on. With the power off move the carriage by hand to see if there are any obstructions or movement issues. Did the carriage move by itself before you installed the new tube assembly since there may have been another issue with the plotter not known before the tube replacement. We need information to help you not just general statement of what is wrong.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/17/13 10:01 AM) reply + / -
Moving the carriage assembly works very well.
The belt has been set correctly.
The carriage was moving normally.
I moved the carriage with my hand but there is no traffic problems or obstructions.
Before installing the new tube assembly of the printer worked fine.
It's just that the tube assembly replaced because it had spoiled.
Think here can be at the service station ?

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (9/17/13 2:50 PM) reply + / -
Check that the encoder is clean. Second on the service station when looking from the side is a grey plastic piece which should be at an angle with the top towards the front of the printer. If no that way move it. Try turning on the plotter without any printheads in the carriage and see if you do not get the error message and then put the printheads in when asked for them. Make sure the rail is well lubed. Since you changed the carriage the new one may have dry bushing so you want to make sure the rail is well lubed. You still have not answered the most important question. Does the carriage assembly move at all?

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by Chams (9/18/13 10:42 AM) reply + / -
1. The encoder is clean

2. I changed the carriage and then I well lubed rail system error 86:01 and no longer appears at startup, but there is always the message that comes about setup heads.

- Open window and remove normal printheads to prepare ink system
1. lift printhead cover
2. remove normal printheads
3. close printhead cover
4. close windows

I did everything it asked but I always after printer initializing.

Re: Designjet 500ps cartridge issues by dmzcompute (9/18/13 4:33 PM) reply + / -
I would order another set of setup heads and make sure you get hp oem setup heads. They have a chip on them that is read and if missing the plotter does not know you have them inserted. Now the one thing you have not answered is if the cover open switch is working. To test just lift up the center cover and then turn on the plotter. It should tell you to close the center cover before any other message comes up. If it does not and comes up to that message, then you have an issue with the cover open switch which is not telling the plotter the cover is open and causing the plotter to not read the setup heads as being in the slots. If that is the case, fix the cover open switch, put back the regular printheads, turn on the plotter and when the message comes up, lift the center cover, open the carriage cover and replace the heads and then close the carriage cover and close the center cover and it should work.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters