fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP C7280 Ink System Failure

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Christian Shank (3/7/08 9:14 AM) reply+1 + / -
Please help! I bought this all in one just last night and the first time I turned it on I got this error and have been getting it ever since. I did the chat with a tech from HP(live from Bombay, it's "Sherry"!!) and who would have guessed it she was no help. Her only idea after just telling me what was in the FAQ section of the mannual was to take it back to where I bought it from! Does anyone have any ideas what to do or even what causes this error? Thanks for the help!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by hp-printer-dave (3/7/08 9:35 AM) reply+1 + / -
Yes, it is a known problem & if what I say next doesn't help then take it back for another one. --- The ink system has to pump up or be primed to work & yours just did not complete it on its own. Have you inserted all 6 inks ? They need to be in to have ink to prime the machine. Try holding down the ok -- cancel -- black -- color buttons with 4 fingers while at the same time powering the unit off. Keep them held down till it is off. Then turn it back on normally & it should try to do "Maintenance" & you hear a whirling noise --- that is the ink pump spinning to try & pump in ink to the print head. If all fails you may have a bad printer out of the box. If no one helps you then call HP & ask for an "all in one case manager" (877)917-4380 Ext.95

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Christian Shank (3/7/08 9:40 AM) reply+2 + / -
Thanks for the fast reply. When you say hold down the ok, cancel, etc buttons, which black and color buttons are you talking about?

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Terry Richardson (9/4/08 6:40 AM) reply+6 + / -
I just had this exact issue with my C7280. I called HP Tech support, got a body in Bangalore or someplace, and was pleasantly surprised that they were prompt and knowledgeable, and solved the issue very quickly after transferring my call one time to a hardware support expert.

Here are the details. Got the Ink System Failure message. The error code shows was '0xc18a0005'. The tech had me press and hold the '*' key on the key pad, then press the '#' key and release them both. Then he had me enter '123' to enter maintenance mode. He then had me press the right arrow (beside the OK button) until System Config. menu appeared on panel. Then pressed OK two times to clear the error condition, then cancel two or three times to return to the top menu. Then powered off and back on, printed a test page just fine, copied a document fine.

I hope this help those who have similar issues.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (9/20/08 12:14 PM) reply + / -
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I got the System Failure Message. The book with the printer is not very helpful. I have been using ink other than sold by hp for a year. I figure hp has some kind of software in the printer that will cause the failure message and it not to print. I went through the process you described and my printer is working perfectly again. I did, however, put hp ink in it. ha, ha. Thanks again for sharing how to solve this problem. Jim

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (10/8/08 5:05 AM) reply + / -
My C7280 got the "ink system failure" right out of the box. I used the '*' and "#', plus '123' to get to the system menus. I got to the System Config menu and then got to 'ink status', which was 'Set', so I changed it to 'Clear'. The printer then said it was doing the one-time system initialization, but it hung, so I powered off, then on, and it finally went thru the one-time init properly.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (12/2/08 11:28 AM) reply + / -
Is there a fix for this for the Photosmart 8250?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (1/21/09 7:23 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Terry! That worked great for my HP 7280 Photosmart all in one.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (2/5/09 7:21 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for taking time to post. The *# solution worked for my 7280.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (2/9/09 12:58 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so much. I was pulling my hair out trying to get someone to help me at HP support. While I was holding on the phone for the HP tech (over 15 minutes) I found your solution and fixed it myself. It is working just fine now.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by support_Hpprinters (2/26/09 3:50 AM) reply + / -
Please DO NOT USE the steps mentioned above for your issues, unless you are sure that these steps needs to be performed on the printer. These steps, if used for other issues may ruin your printer completely, making it non-functional permanently. These steps provided above are for SPECIFIC issue should not be tried without HP professional help. Please contact HP if you need assistance on these issues.

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Terry Richardson (2/26/09 4:27 AM) reply + / -
My first reaction to reading this post was "Baloney! This poster makes $$ by fixing this problem over and over and doesn't want to help people for free."

That said, this procedure should only be used for this specific ink system failure, although I seriously doubt that you could permanently wreck your device by resetting an error condition you don't need to reset. I still feel this is a scare tactic meant to chase you to pay-for-support services. Don't buy it.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (3/5/09 1:57 AM) reply + / -
Thank you very much, your details worked for my error 0xc18a0001 as well on C7280 HP Printer.
Thanyou very much

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (3/19/09 8:50 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks for the reset details - you've made a stressed bloke very happy

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (4/13/09 6:05 AM) reply + / -
Same as above worked great, much thanks.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (4/18/09 3:32 PM) reply + / -
Terry Richardson's thread (9-4-08) showed me how to access SOME of my HP C7280's "hidden secrets" ,by playing around with the keys after getting to the infomation mode, I found the nozzle check mode (prints out test page of ink colors) it did'nt fix my problem , ( my printer will not print in red color, comes out pink ) and all the colors are "faded" in a printer test page. Since I am NOT in warranty, I have nothing to lose, I have a "back-up" printer, ( HP D7360 ) uses the same inks and all, but it does not Scan , Copy , Fax. This prints great like the 7280 did when it was'nt sick. Anybody else experiencing this problem and has a solution , I would surely like to know, I've tried most everthing in the forums on the "net" . If you know where I can get a Service/Repair manual that would also help . I wish HP would make available all these "hidden codes". Thanks for any assistance you can offer, Teroma

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by sinith (5/18/09 9:30 AM) reply + / -
I got the same problem and this thread could solve my problem within 5 minutes. Thanks so much!

Sinith Boonyarat
sinith.boonyarat@gmail.com

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by teroma (5/21/09 7:40 AM) reply + / -
On 4/18/09 I posted I was having trouble with faded colors on my C-7280. Has anybody else experienced this problem ? If so , were you able to correct it ? Does anybody know which keys to press to gain access to the various maintenance/reset options ? I plan to purchase all 6 inks NEW ( H P ) and try to reset the printer somehow , hoping to re-prime the system or whatever . Any help on this situation is truly appreciated . Teroma

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (5/27/09 3:54 PM) reply + / -
Thank you very much!!! Terry, the "*" + "#" then 123 worked flawlessly, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (7/8/09 10:41 AM) reply + / -
Hi and thanks. The press and hold the '*' key on the key pad, then press the '#' key and release them both etc. process above worked for me! many thanks! I also agree HP are just scaring people to call the premium rate line. Thanks Thanks Thanks!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by kimberly3d (9/1/09 9:08 AM) reply + / -
Thank you thank you thank you Terry Richardson, this saved my pain of taking my printer back!!! I followed your direction and my printer is working again
and that was for the C7280 and the "0xc18a0101" error. Printed fine after that. Copied fine too. Cleared out the error!!!! Yeah!!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by DesperateSusan (9/3/09 12:25 AM) reply + / -
I'll second that. Terry's solution took me all of one minute and hey presto suddenly the printer is working again. Can't help wondering if it was caused by installing non-HP cartridges, or rather HP ones that have been recycled. I have a big stock of those so I may have to solve the problem again, but it is just great to know that I can. Thank you very much, Terry.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Markc2 (9/11/09 9:37 AM) reply + / -
THANK YOU !!!! I thought I was doomed and forced to return to consumer shopping hell..

I now have a fully functioning printer

Mark

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (9/27/09 8:41 PM) reply + / -
I have the same HP C7280 printer, but the error is "0xc05d0381". I tried the '*', '#' and '123' details, it didn't work! I still got the same error code after power on. Please help... Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (10/18/09 7:15 PM) reply + / -
I have the HP C7280 printer. I got the error code "0xc18a0205". The procedure described fixed mine. Much better than the Indian support line! Thanks so much, you saved me some bucks!

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (10/25/09 11:38 AM) reply + / -
Thank you, thank you, you have helped me to solve the problem with my HP C7280 printer, I've followed all your steps and it worked perfect again. I was using other ink brand. Do you think there will be any problem with that one?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Terry Richardson (10/26/09 3:15 AM) reply + / -
Personally, no I don't think there's any problem using the other inks. I suspect that HP has purposely designed this error into their printers as an attempt to scare people into using only their hideously expensive cartridges. FYI, I have been using non-HP inks in my C7280 printer for a couple of years, and had no issues since I reset that error that one time.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by lawman1947 (10/26/09 1:54 PM) reply + / -
I get the ink system failure error: 0xc18a0406 which showed up immediately after replacing an near-empty ink cartridge As soon as I shut the lid, the error message popped up. I've tried the things mentioned above but they did not change anything. Since I didn't see another specific problem with the same error code, not sure if those fixes are the right ones for me or not.

All help appreciated, as I am becoming very frustrated (my HP C7280 printer just went out of warranty!)

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by RWC (10/30/09 4:15 AM) reply + / -
That was big time helpful! Got me out of a huge jam! Thanks very much for taking the time to post this solution vs. sitting on the phone for an hour with India!

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by SVogel (11/3/09 2:33 PM) reply + / -
Terry - You are my hero! Worked perfectly! No shopping for a new printer! THANK YOU for taking the time to post after calling tech support.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (11/10/09 8:01 PM) reply + / -
Terry, again thank you so much for your help, the printer is working normaly, now I can sleep very well again.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Kratzy7 (11/12/09 6:23 PM) reply + / -
I have tried just about everything to get my C7280 printer to work. I am using non HP inks and have not been able to fix the printer and get it printing for close to 6 months now. I can honestly tell you that Hewlett Packard are a crap company that has crap support. I will not be buying anything HP ever again. In the mean time I will continue to try to figure out this printer. I just keep getting the error code 0xc18a0101 over and over again. Quite painful and frustrating the amount of times I have turned my printer off and on in hope that it will function again just to see this error code. I think its printed on my brain now.
ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Kratzy

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mdrakehnl (11/19/09 12:37 PM) reply + / -
I had "ink system failure", code 0xc18a0001 on my HPC7250, and the */#/123 fix worked as well. THANK YOU for your help! I refill my own ink, and when you do so, you don't always get an accurate view of the corresponding ink level. I suspect one or more of the wells went dry, de-priming the pump, hence the message. Once the ink is refilled, or new cartridges are added, clearing the fault does the trick!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by HateHPStuff (11/25/09 12:15 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so much!!! I talked to HP support, which is a complete scam. He told me printers are only supposed to last for a year and I should upgrade because they may not be able to fix my error: 0xc18a0101 (Ink System Failure). I followed the tip from Terry: hit * and the #, then the rest. My 1.5 year old HPC7280 printer works fine now. Thanks for your help, Terry!!!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Kawankar (11/27/09 3:36 AM) reply + / -
I have the same HP C7280 printer, but the error is "0xc05d0381". I tried the '*', '#' and '123' details, it didn't work! I still got the same error code after power on. Please help... Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Freyberger (11/27/09 10:40 PM) reply + / -
I too have had the ink system failure... Many many times just a different code number 0xc19a0007. After many calls to support they gave me the * # 123 answer and it worked for a while. It was the later answer I found here the OK CANCEL BLACK COLOR with Power off that helped me the last time. I agree that the HP warning is just to scare people. Because when you think about it... It's broke right, out of warranty? What do you have to lose? I have been using this printer with a Continuous Ink Supply from the day I purchased the printer. I stopped purchase of new HP products due to the poor support and even worse software development. Sites like this one that help consumers to swallow that bitter HP support pill. Thanks to all who have supported this thread!!

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by sanwariya (11/28/09 7:27 AM) reply + / -
thank you dear
thank you so much its work yaar
you solwed my magger problem

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Sarahgd60 (11/30/09 8:45 AM) reply + / -
Thank you Terry!!! My Printer came up with the "ink failure system" and after following your steps it printed straight away!! The only trouble is I have no excuse not for doing my work now!!

Cheers! Can I just note my error number was different from that mentioned, I think HP are just scaremongering to get you to call them!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (12/11/09 12:01 PM) reply + / -
Just used the *, # 1,2,3 procedure and it failed. I used it again and ran the nozzle test and noticed that I was not printing any yellow. I replaced the yellow ink, and ran the *, #, 1,2,3 reset again and the printer reset with no issues. Thanks so much!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (12/13/09 12:33 PM) reply + / -
It's Saturday, and after replacing the ink cartridges, the Ink System Failure message came up (0xc18a0206 in my case) and won't go away after using the hp support info on their support website (solution 1 - reset by removing cartridges, disconnect power, wait 60 seconds, reconnect/reinsert cartridges; solution 2 - Service the product). I thought it might be the Office Max cartridge refills, so I went and bought HP cartridges, and the guy at Office Max said it's not an uncommon problem if you use non-HP (i.e. cheaper!) cartridges. It didn't help, so I called HP support. Got the same lady in India whose only solution is to replace my machine with a new one at a discounted price, with an extended warranty. I declined. I found this webpage on Google, and the * # 123 thing worked perfectly. I'm back in business. Thanks to everyone except HP. I'll use up these cartridges and buy something more reliable and from a company that is more believable. (CRAYOLA?) Thanks again.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by air_mac (12/20/09 8:58 PM) reply + / -

My problem seems to be different than that described in these postings. My black stopped working suddenly with no error message. I replaced it with a new cartridge and still get nothing from the black. Tried test pages, print head realignment and cleaning with nothing from the black. All other colors seem to operate normally. I have only printed about 750 pages on this machine.

I was told by a printer tech who is HP certified that printers using this ink system have proven to be prone to this problem and there is no fix. He left me with little hope. He is seeing more and more machines with this problem. I notice that Hp has abandoned this ink system in their new machines.

Anyone else having this issue? Any fix? Any hope?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Terry Richardson (12/21/09 3:43 AM) reply + / -
If I had this issue, I would first check that the contacts
between the cartridge and printer are clean and clear of paper
dust, ink, what-have-you. Clean both sides with a lint-free
cloth and isopropyl alcohol.

If that doesn't do it, try poking around in the menus that you
access with the "*", "#" 123 process above. I think there's a
place where you can perform tests on individual cartridge
'pumps'. I wish I could get my hands on a service manual for
this thing.

You could also scan some forum sites and see if anyone has one
of these that you could obtain for spare parts, and if you're
mechanically inclined, replace the cartridge assembly from the
spare parts machine.

Barring that, the only thing you could do is send it out for
service. I hate to say it, but the repair costs may exceed
the price of a new device. I've seen all-in-ones for sale at
some stores for around $100. If you do your homework ahead of
time, you can avoid getting a device that has poor reviews.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (1/12/10 9:27 AM) reply + / -
Please help me i am getting this message ink system failure 0xc05d1281 tried all the above mentioned fixes and still no luck. my computer is also making all this noises different from the buggering or ink prime noise. Its more like a manual typewriter noise like something isn't connecting. Please help!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (1/18/10 10:11 AM) reply + / -
My computer is also making typewriter noise? If so Google "click of death" NOTE/Consider: backup all data, Clone hard drive, look at spinrite software, use hard drive manufactures diagnostic software, low level format hard drive. Good luck.
Sorry can’t help with printer problem that is the least of your worries if you have click of death.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Red Skel (1/24/10 6:23 AM) reply + / -
Hi.

I have had my C7280 for over a year now and have had no problems with it. I have always used HP inks but received a 0xc19a0007 System Ink Failure error.

I used your [*] and [#] method and it worked a treat.

Many thanks.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Red Skel (1/24/10 6:29 AM) reply + / -
Hi.

I have had my C7280 for over a year now and have had no problems with it. I have always used HP inks but received a 0xc19a0007 System Ink Failure error.

I used your [*] and [#] method and it worked a treat.

Many thanks.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mikey14 (1/26/10 5:26 AM) reply + / -
Thank you all so much for sharing this info. * and # worked perfectly.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by S. (1/27/10 9:17 PM) reply + / -
Hi...I bought my Photosmart C7280 about a year ago but due to a variety of circumstances I didn't actually unpack and set it up until this week. It has worked like a charm...I've printed many things on it in the last few days. Tonight while printing a double-sided document (not my first time, nothing unusual about experience until this point), I went back to check on it after having been in the other room to find the amber exclamation point (!) blinking and an error code of 0xc05d1281 -- Ink System Failure...Ink System has failed, unable to copy, receive faxes or print. I've tried to reset techniques described here but I have loud bangs and cranking sounds going on when the printer tries to "prepare" itself on restart...it sounds like a true mechanical issues to do with some of the cogs or gears. I have a feeling I'm out of warranty due to the time lapse, but this printer is essentially brand new. Anybody know if this is just a loose gear or have any idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

-S.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by hp-printer-dave (2/4/10 8:46 AM) reply + / -
Try doing the priming session about 3 times in a row without testing & then do a self test print-out. I have seen about a 25% success rate. Hold down the (OK & HELP) buttons & keep them held while plugging in the power cord & if it doesn't automatically power on then also hit the power button. Keep the OK & Help buttons held down till the printer turns itself off all by itself or goes right into the priming session. If it turns off then let go of the 2 buttons & just hit the power button once & it will go right into the priming session for about 4 minutes. -------- There have been many problems with this style of printer with the 6 T shaped cartridges in a row. I have seen over 40 with the ink system failure or not printing BLACK & at least 25% have exclusively used true HP ink. HP did replacea few of these out of warranty if you complained loud enough but now they turned their back on the problem but they would love for you to keep buying that expensive ink for your broken printer --- rrrrrrright! HP Idiots!!! ------- I am now seeing many with the scanner / fax starting to get the "scan failure" & no fix available so far.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (2/23/10 4:15 AM) reply + / -
I had to move a small gear and clear a small paper jam.

See below for details and pictures.

http://philatwarrimoo.blogspot.com

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by kaysebelle (2/27/10 5:25 AM) reply + / -
Hi Terry, Thanks very much for that. I have had this problem for over a week and have been unable to find the answer in the book. Great help all working now. Obviously HP want to keep it a secret as this is not shown in the user guide.
Kaysebelle

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by dneecie (3/3/10 8:04 PM) reply + / -
I wish I'd seen all this before waiting 3 1/2 hours for a "supervisor" from Bangladash or Singapore to *CALL* me and go through the *#, 1,2,3 procedure. Sheesh.

So it didn't work and of course, "we'll be glad to help you pick out a new printer". Yeah, right.

For what it's worth, the machine actually primed after doing that, but I still have the 0xc18a0001 error. Theoretically it's toast, so would it hurt to do it again? I makes a funny clicking noise that my dh says sounds like a gear is stripped out.

Ideas, thoughts? I've only had it 8 months.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (3/4/10 4:31 AM) reply + / -
dneecie,

Does the head move to the left when you turn the printer on?

Does it then make grinding gear noises?

Does it then display the Ink System Failure message?

If so, it might be the problem I had.

Easily fixed.

Turn the printer off.
Lift the lid of the printer.
To the left are two white gears.
One (the slightly smaller one) can be easily moved forwards or backwards.

My guess, is that it is resting closer to the rear of the printer.

Try moving it so it rests closer to the front of the printer.

Turn the printer on.

See my link above for pictures.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (3/12/10 5:24 PM) reply + / -
Your instructions worked for me. Praise G-D!
I have a C7280 & MSG: 0xc18a0001

Thanks for your efforts.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (3/18/10 9:56 AM) reply + / -
I also use bulk ink to fill my "clear" replacement cartridges. I have been using them for years and all of a sudden the color started looking washed out. I did not get any error messages but thought my ink my have been expired or something. Ordered new ink, but same problem. I used the advice from post on 2/4/10, and actually did this about 4 times. Works great now! Now, be careful, because when I did this on the last time, it completely reset the printer. I had to reinstall all drivers and the network for the printer. It was just like a first time install.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by coastys (4/22/10 9:13 PM) reply + / -
hi hasanyone had a the fault code VIXXFN0724AR and if so how do you get rid of it .
Not that old a printer to throw out but as usal out of warranty aprox 13 months old

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (5/1/10 8:19 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Dave, my 7280 was just 2 months out of warranty and I had the ink system error OPxc18a0101 which appeared to coincide with the black cartridge running out, but replacement and switch on/off did not work. The 4 finger solution allows a complete reset and the problem is solved.

TY Terry Richardson by PandaMarketer (5/4/10 3:16 PM) reply + / -
Your solution above, worked flawlessly.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by roymike (5/5/10 5:42 AM) reply + / -
thank you terry! i wasn't able to use my printer for more than 6 months but now it is in good condition. thank you!

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (5/6/10 6:30 PM) reply + / -
Excellent. That saved me a lot of time. and worked great.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by motorcyclegurl (5/7/10 9:00 AM) reply + / -
CHECK YOUR ERROR CODE! The #*123 method only works on some of these error codes and if you poke around too much you'll cause yourself a headache. If your printer is doing THIS as "Phil at Marrimoo" suggests:

"Does the head move to the left when you turn the printer on? Does it then make grinding gear noises? Does it then display the Ink System Failure message? If so, it might be the problem I had. Easily fixed. Turn the printer off. Lift the lid of the printer. To the left are two white gears. One (the slightly smaller one) can be easily moved forwards or backwards. My guess, is that it is resting closer to the rear of the printer. Try moving it so it rests closer to the front of the printer. Turn the printer on. See my link [below] for pictures."

use his blog link!

Mine had the exact same problem, and I found the jammed paper in the exact same place and fixed it with his fix-the-little-white-gears method. I almost messed up my machine messing around with the system configuration settings.

THANKS PHIL!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by anonymous (5/28/10 3:21 PM) reply + / -
Were also going to buy a new printer. Looked at the far right side and saw the other gears and the arm was not attached. I lifted the plastic arm up and attached it back to the top gear. Thank you!!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anonymous (6/4/10 7:38 AM) reply + / -
I was printing out a 30 page report, about 10 pages to go when my black ink ran out. I got it refilled and put it back in, This error happened. I used the 123 code and it printed out one page... but I still constantly gets the error message no matter how many times I try the 123 code. It also comes up with the carterage jam message. I have moved the gear and done all in my power. Please help! This printer is less than a year old!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure 0xc18a0001 by energy4freedom (6/11/10 12:00 PM) reply + / -
HP told me this is a "FATAL ERROR". They also said it meant the memory on the mother board is damaged so all they can do is replace the whole printer. Vishal, their Indian-sounding customer care person offered me 3 options from $210 to $359, none of which used the same refillable HP02 cartridges and nice inexpensive compatible ink supply I have.
After buying a replacement HP c309 (CC335A) from Best Buy for $150 I decided to Google the error to see if there was a hardware fix before I tossed the C7280, never imagining it could be done with few simple key presses. Unbelievably, Terry Richardson's 9/4/08 post routine FIXED IT completely! Thank you! Better late than never.
What a despicable scam HP has to promote obsolescence and waste the planet's resources just to maximize their silly income stream.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by wham (6/14/10 4:02 PM) reply + / -
This fix worked great! I tried it once with no success, then put in brand-new ink cartridges, and it worked like a charm. Thank you!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by MattGinNYC (6/17/10 9:19 PM) reply + / -
Had a somewhat similar problem -- kept getting an "Ink Cartridges Empty -- Cyan" (or "Ink Cartridge Empty -- Cyan") error when I tried to print. (Using HP Genuine Inks and the Cyan cartridge was 60% full at the time.) Restarted computer, etc. Tried a number of the above solutions but nothing seemed to help. Finally I closed all HP software in my system tray (Digital Imaging Monitor etc.), deleted the printer from my control panel and downloaded and reinstalled the full suite of drivers & software from HP. Now everything is working fine again.

Of course, I didn't have an error code like some of the above users, and when I used the "color copy" button on the printer itself, it copied fine.

Incidentally, for coastys (4/22/2010) benefit, the VIxxFN0724AR is the firmware, not an error code.

Posting this here in the hopes that someone with a similar problem will pick this up from Google.

(Now can someone tell me how to get my scans below something like 4MB per page? I'm a lawyer and would like to be able to scan hand marked comments to documents, but the output is simply too large to e-mail anywhere.)

Matthew Gabin
New York, NY
stuff -at- gabin -dot- org

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by jimkuhl (7/5/10 11:21 AM) reply + / -
I know you've received many thanks...but THANK YOU! You solved my problems! Took a lot of stress out of today! If you move to India you would achieve Rock Star Status!

Jim Kuhl
Elk Grove CA

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Loi (7/26/10 12:51 AM) reply + / -
Pls help me that I get Ink system failure 0xc18a0006
How can I do :(
I have already do * + # , 123 ,but cannot .

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Loi (7/26/10 1:44 AM) reply + / -
I got it!

Than you ,

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Maximus123 (7/28/10 7:14 PM) reply + / -
I have the ink system failure message about 3 weeks ago... 0xc18a001 after having my 7280 for about 2 years.

I did a master reset and it was back to normal... for the 1st time. Yesterday, the same message came out again.

Did #*123, change cartridges, shift the small white gear... nothing works. The error message keeps coming up.

I am using compatible ink cartridges... do you think that could be the problem? One thing though... when I remove all the cartridges.... and turn it on... it still showed the error message!

Not sure if I want to go buy HP original cartridges to test it out. If it still fails... then I would be wasting money.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by jimkuhl (7/28/10 9:44 PM) reply + / -
I didn't do anything other than follow the instructions...HP cartridges may help, but to buy all new cartridges would be a lot of $ if it doesn't solve the problem!

I think I had the problem a second time...did the recommended procedure again, and never had a problem. Still works great!!

Jim

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Maximus123 (7/29/10 1:27 AM) reply + / -
Err... Jim.... not sure how your comments will help my problems... since I already mentioned that I tried the procedures several times. Guess that makes my problems unique? Oh boy.... time to hunt for a new printer, I guess.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mca (8/7/10 9:14 AM) reply + / -
I tried all the above and went thru cleaning the heads etc.. and nothing worked. Then I connected my laptop to the printer and loaded all the updates to it. Turned the printer off. OMG. It WORKS NOW!!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Jack Maricha (9/3/10 5:24 AM) reply + / -
I have been recieving an error code 0xc05d1281 from My HP printer C7280.
Can someone help me fix the problem?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by TerryMM (9/7/10 2:22 PM) reply + / -
The 123 fixed worked for me too, but I also noticed that the chip from an Office Max HP02 black cartridge fell off in the cartridge slot. I removed that loose chip and things worked better and faster.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Mordcha (9/7/10 5:52 PM) reply + / -
At 2pm today I got that ink system failure lock up that everyone complains about. I tried all the recommendations in the manual- there were none. I tried my ink supplier. He tipped me to this web site and held my hand through the * # 123 SYSTEM TO NO AVAIL.
I was locked up on that error message with the same code error everyone had reported. I noticed that during the restart that the pump whirring noise started and stopped in one second and a momentary print head message flashed on and off once too fast to read. It never returned. So I looked at the gears to the left and the the little white one was to the rear. I rotated it to the front and searched for paper jams. I found a bit of paper in the print head and another in the two sided accessory.
I noticed that there were white dust like spots in the area where the print head slides and in the cavities where the ink cartridges were inserted. I cleaned them off with an electric shaver brush brush and vacuum. I cleaned all copper contacts on the cartridges with isopropyl alcohol. I took a stack of my HP Multipurpose paper and fanned it over a black surface and behold there were the same white spots. Not many but they accumulate with time and my C7280 is two years old.
At this point I shut off my machine and after a minute restarted and now I am locked up with an "Incorrect ink Cartridge(s)" message that I cannot clear. It is now 8:30 pm and I refuse to talk to HP support and be abused by their system. Does any one know how to get out of this error message? Would I be better off getting a Japanese machine?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Mordcha (9/8/10 3:11 PM) reply + / -
I caved in and called tech support at 1877-917-4380 ext 95 and was stone walled by a case manager who will not accept problems from the public. I was transferred to tech support at 1 800 474 6836. To my surprise it was in California and a convincingly cheerful tech who spoke American english went through all the steps of * # 123 MSG config etc and after a lot of questions said she was shipping me a new printer, the latest model C309, and told me I had 84 days left on my extended warranty! "HP does not make the C7380 anymore."
The catch was I have to send HP the unfixable printer with the ink cartridges in place and give them my credit card no. I assume that if they can find an excuse that its my fault they can charge me.
I will be sending them empty HP cartridges. Unbelievably this took all of 15 minutes! And I had forgotten that I had an extended warranty.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by joe r (10/4/10 8:42 AM) reply + / -
It worked great for Thanks Terry

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Joe R (10/4/10 8:50 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Terry! That worked great for my HP 7280 Photosmart all in one.
My error code was Oxc18a0206. You are a printer life saver!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Anne C (10/15/10 11:17 AM) reply + / -
have just had this problem on this printer, after approx 2 years use. Straight to web and this page. glad to say the old fashioned 'pull out electricity supply' worked this time, and printer has reset tiself happily. BUT have printed off your solution Terry, as proof of the fix, and my certainty that the message will come back! Many thanks.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by riggs (10/17/10 1:48 PM) reply + / -
Thanx Terry for the instructions on how to fix ink system failure!!! It worked on the first try. You are the est!

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by jwa76 (10/25/10 9:35 PM) reply + / -
This fix also worked on my HP C7250, though the messages were a little different (but easy enough to figure out). Thanks for posting this, a big help, and probably saved me a couple hundred bucks (though it would have been fun to take a sledgehammer to this machine...)

jwa76

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by lups (10/26/10 4:09 PM) reply + / -
Pls help me that I get Ink system failure 0xc18a0006
How can I do :(
I have already do * + # , 123 ,but cannot .
it comes sameting like
uiaux
support
vixxfn074ar

please help me..!
thank You
Lup's

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by TerryDR (10/27/10 7:47 AM) reply + / -
Same problem happened to me this morning (27 October 2010), I think this is after an auto update installation from HP either yesterday or day before. I guess HP do it to stop using the non-hp inks.

1. Get to the maintenance mode
[Press and hold the '*' key on the key pad, then press the '#' key and release them both. Then enter '123' to enter maintenance mode.]

2. I used the instruction found on the following link: http://www.fixya.com/support/t2504043-photo_paper_draw_c7280

[Press the right arrow key twice. It should then show Resets Menu. Press ok. It will then say Country/Language Reset. Press the right arrow key till you get the option of semi-full reset. Press ok. The printer should turn off. Wait about 10 - 15 seconds and then turn the printer on.]

3. I also uninstalled "HP update" from my PC.

I can print with non-hp ink, as before.

Thanks guys for your support.

despiece HP C7280 by kiketc (10/30/10 1:54 PM) reply + / -
Where can I find a service manual for this printer?

Greetigs from Peru, South America

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by LUP'S (11/1/10 7:33 AM) reply + / -
Thank You very much for your help Terry, ..!!! I got this info I want to share with all of you maight can help in the future too..!

A. - Press and hold the #*# key.

B. - Press the ### key and release both keys.

Display should say #Enter Special Key Combo#

C. - Press and release in sequence the #1#, #2# and #3# buttons.

Display should say #Support# and display the FW rev (something like R0631R)

1. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says #System Configuration Menu#.

2. Press and release the #OK# button.

3. Display should say #Hardware failure status#. If not there already, Arrow Key over to #Hardware failure status#,

4. Press and release the #OK# button.

5. Display should say #Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear#.

6. Press and release the #OK# Button. Message changes to #Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue#.

7. Press and release the #CANCEL# button as many times as necessary, so that, either the #Welcome to Photosmart Express# screen appears, or, the #Ink System Failure# screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.

8. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.

9. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer

10. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message #USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER# followed by #PRESS OK TO CONTINUE#. Press OK.

11. If the printer has already initialized, then go to the next step. If not, the printer will start the #ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS#. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.

HP C7280 Ink dosn't work propertli by Lup's (11/1/10 7:42 AM) reply + / -
I am truly frustrated. After I fixed the problem with my Ink system failure My printer indicated doesn't print correctly itdoesn't indicate thet it needed a new ink but ii doesn't print red and yellow it only print Black, Blue and Green. I purchased a new cartridge and put it in. The level indicates that it is full. However, when printing, it will print all colors EXCEPT RED and YELLOW. I have done a Self Test Diagnostic as well as a Print Cartridge Alignment many times to try to get the colors to work, but to no avail. It. I took the cartridges to a store to check them and was told there is nothing wrong with the cartridges. I have looked at all areas of technical support, but see no advice for this situation. Has anyone had this occur and what is my next step.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by moe (11/1/10 7:51 AM) reply + / -
I don't see how it can print Green since that is a mixture of Cyan and Yellow.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by SPARK_tm (12/10/10 6:41 PM) reply + / -
Thanks terry, using the "maintenance mode" worked for my all in one c7280. Also i messed with it too much and i did some a reset instead of clearing the error code and i had to hold down the # and 6 while it was booting up like five times to get it to stop saying "use the introductory cartridges that were shipped with your printer". I'm very dissatisfied with HP and I hope someone sues the s*** out of them, they need it. I think all the people from this thread alone would get them in trouble. Its sad when I have to go on a message board to fix my own printer that doesn't even have a problem in the first place. Thanks again Terry.
Here is the link to the cartridge problem if you do like i did and do a reset instead of clearing the error code. http://www.fixya.com/support/t233173-incorrect_cartridge

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by syntax_code (12/15/10 10:15 AM) reply + / -
Pls help me that I get Ink system failure 0xc19a0028

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Prosper Nyanga (12/29/10 5:34 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Terry. My HP Photosmart was showing error code 0xc18a0101.It was also indicating Ink System Failure. I had used non-HP ink catridges. I replaced them with genuine HP catridges but the error kept coming up. I then followed your steps of pressing and hold * button etc. and it worked!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by jdenglish (12/31/10 4:29 PM) reply + / -
I'm new to this forum and have the same problem with the C7280 not using light magenta or magenta. Did this problem ever get resolved?
Thanks,
John

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by didetkat (1/11/11 4:18 AM) reply + / -
the *,#, 1-2-3,solution helped us! thank you!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mcquiggan (1/13/11 11:37 AM) reply + / -
I have a two year old C7280. The ink system failure error comes on everyday. It is easily removed by switching off the printer and simply restarting it. This is annoying though. I have tried all the fixes listed on this website and the HP forum including resetting the printer and the 123 trick. I even removed the battery but still no good. It is obviously a software issue as the printer works great when it works. I also have started to get random errors such as no paper in the photo tray. Time to buy a Canon??

HP 8250 Ink System Failure by ocean1 (1/14/11 7:41 AM) reply + / -
Did you ever get a response? Our printer has no keypad, thus the C7280 magic process won't work on our 8250, and I just replaced most of the cartridges for almost what the printer cost originally...I so want to make this thing work!
Thanks for any guidance!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by cathypt (2/1/11 5:38 PM) reply + / -
THanks so much! I encountered the Ink System Failure msg as well. My printer is not under warranty and I'm broke and didnt want to have to pay support for something that I doubted would be resolved. I followed the steps involving pressing "*" and "#" etc and fixed the problem.THanks Thanks Thanks!!!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Aussieneets (2/23/11 2:52 PM) reply + / -
I just uised Terry's method for that exact error message and it worked perfectly - thank you you saved me from tearing my hair out!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by robidean (2/25/11 3:59 AM) reply + / -
Hi - I have read through all the help screens and tried them all - but still no luck! My HP7280 will not recognise light magenta and magenta?? Prints the yellow, cyan and black fine. I've tried cleaning the printhead, 123 system, turned on/off etc etc. Installed new cartridges! Nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Buster7760 (3/2/11 5:26 AM) reply + / -
c2fe0100 error

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Buster7760 (3/2/11 5:31 AM) reply + / -
c2fe0100 error

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by trcykf (3/15/11 12:27 PM) reply + / -
I get the small box message saying"install new ink cartridges black and megentia to continue" then press ok.

I have replaced with brand new cartridges and i still can't print. Please help.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Kate714 (3/18/11 4:43 PM) reply + / -
I used to have problems with the black ink. I removed the cartridge and inserted the end of a paper clip into the small hole in the printer a couple of times. Reinserted my cartridge and was back in business. I've since discovered that the holes for the color cartridges are a bit smaller - a pin works in those holes. I've had this printer about three years and have had some difficulties just recently.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by paredi (3/20/11 8:37 AM) reply + / -
Hi I have the 0xc05d1281 with my photosmart 72800. I have followed all the steps you mention but I'm still at the same point. I even changed all the ink!
What do you think I should do?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by ROJDOJ (3/27/11 8:45 AM) reply + / -
JUST BOUGHT THE HP C7280 WHICH I USE FOR THE CHARITY I WORK FOR
HOW DO I PRIME THE CARTRIDGES

AND CAN I USE REFILLABLE CATRIDGES? IF SO, HOW CAN I GET AROUND THE 'INK CARTRIDGES PASSED THEIR EXPIRATION DATE' ERROR MESSAGE

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Cskl (3/29/11 1:36 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much Terry!!! I used the * and # for my error of 0xc18a0106 and it completely worked!!! Been so stressed! Thanks!

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by chetcox9 (3/30/11 3:47 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Terry, I tried the 123 method for the '0xc18a0001' error and this worked great. Isn't this website wonderful because of users like yourself. thanks again

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by groovy2surf (4/13/11 9:32 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much! It worked like a charm.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Karen J. (4/14/11 12:21 PM) reply + / -
Terry Richardson's fix of 9/4/08 is a sure-fire winner!! Kudos & Revelation !! After replacing all cartridges with genuine HP ones,(first replacement),my error message was : 0Xc18a0301, "Ink System Failure," etc. After many hours of sifting thru HP's glorious documention for problem-solving (or lack, thereof), & performing such, like resets, contact cleanings, etc., I knew it was simply a glitch. Luckily, I googled & found this forum.
This appears to be a very common problem. My exact numeric error code is not described, anywhere. Why doesn't HP post this fix ??
Also interesting is that I was prompted for replacing some cartridges due to (apparent)expiration dates ( only 2 were empty). After replacement, I observed that the newer cartridges had substantially shorter dates like 5/12, than the older ones, like 4/15 ?? And the message read " Thank you for using Genuine HP Cartriges " !!
Thank You ALL for DOING HP's job !!

Re: HP C7280 Ink cartridges/printer for sale by robidean (4/15/11 2:36 AM) reply + / -
I now give up, bought loads of cartridges to try and solve the no printing in 'pink' problem. Nothing seems to work. So I am now selling on ebay loads of cartridges, original and compatible together with my printer, which does print fine in the other colours. Check it out and grab a bargain!!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by saskias (4/20/11 11:02 AM) reply + / -
I'm getting an error that one of my color cartridges is out of ink. If I only want to print in black and white, do i first have to replace the color cartridge to get the printer to work?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by john206 (5/2/11 6:03 PM) reply + / -
ok, I returned after a 3mo vacation only to find my printer (C7280)did not work, system error,out-of-ink... . I replaced the near empty ink carts. and got the "ink system failure" I found this forum and tried the reset method (ok-cancel-black-color pressed and pressing the power button. That worked, thanks guys... I am now plagued with no pink or red when printing a test page. All the cart's were original HP and new!
HP has never done a good job of driver writing and worse when it comes to troubleshooting.
So, I am not the first plagued with missing color after resolving the "ink system failure".
I haven't tried kate714 method yet. Anyone else solved the missing ink color printing problem after fixed "ink system failure"?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Susie2057 (5/11/11 9:27 PM) reply + / -
Error Code 0xc19a0035. Have tried reset using 123 code and the error keeps coming back. I have never used anything but HP ink in my machine. Any thoughts?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by jiriarte (5/21/11 6:28 PM) reply + / -
I was able to fix ink system failure with *# & 123. Now i have the problem that the ink display shows are the cartriges are empty when they are brand new and full.

Does anyone know how to fix this probelm.

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by CALIFORNIA1952 (6/15/11 6:29 PM) reply + / -
Thanks it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by davemobley (6/20/11 2:29 AM) reply + / -
Just tried this as a last ditch effort before I threw the thing in the trash and it worked. Thanks for the help. Excellent explanation.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by VirginiaBeach0312 (7/5/11 9:00 AM) reply + / -
Just used this procedure today on my Photosmart C7250 after trying everything else for the "Ink System Failure" and it worked like a charm! Hope it helps someone else:
http://www.ccl-la.com

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Lisa A. (7/8/11 8:45 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the tip! Worked great on our machine!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by leisab153 (7/18/11 5:23 PM) reply + / -
Perfect answer to my 0xc19a0031 error . . . . thanks!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Susie2057 (7/18/11 5:41 PM) reply + / -
Has anyone fixed a 0xc19a0035 error? If so what method was used because nothing I have tried has worked.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Ezilla82 (7/23/11 2:00 PM) reply + / -
At first we did something and it was fine a week later can't print anything. It does have that gears grinding sound when it tries to get ready to print, but it also had this message of "Ink system error" and gave this code,"0xc05d1381". So I'm not really tech savvy so I try not to touch something and if I do it'll break. So if anyone can help this simpleton out that'll be great.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by yrob (7/28/11 2:02 PM) reply + / -
ink system failure; 0xc18a0501 PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP ME resolve this problem

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure - attn yrob by eaglegrafix (8/1/11 2:47 PM) reply + / -
Have you read all the way through this? It seems that if the fixes offered here (and there are several variations) don't help you, it's time to buy an Epson. Forget the HP. They don't make anything that is reliable. I remember the HP camera I bought that burned through battery in about 8 shots. The only HP I've ever had that worked is a laptop and HP just lucked out finding a vendor that made reliable laptops. HP does not make their own laptops, they simply put their name on them. That's why every 6 months the line changes.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Gil. (8/2/11 11:30 AM) reply + / -
Thank you thank you......it worked very well, was stuck to say the least. Thanks again, Gil.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by VirginiaBeach0312 (8/2/11 3:20 PM) reply + / -
You are very welcome!! Cher

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by samurusawyer (8/2/11 9:01 PM) reply + / -
In recent times, the PC Pro all-in-one A List category has been dominated by Canon, first with its wonderful Pixma MP600, then by the updated MP610. But in our last Labs HP who was hot on Canon's heels, so a new Photosmart launch always has the potential to shake things up.

The C7280's print speeds are hit and miss, however. It can churn out mono documents at an impressive 17ppm in draft mode, but normal mode and colour speeds won't trouble its rival, the MP610.

A 6 x 4in photo took 56secs at best quality - only seven seconds slower than the Canon - but our A4 photomontage took more than four minutes to finish.

The C7280's scanner fared better, with fast previews and basic document scanning - 13secs for an A4 sheet at 150ppi.

Photos took a little longer, but on the whole it kept pace with the MP610 pretty well. Copying, reliant as it is on the both the scanner and the print engine, again fell back to more underwhelming speeds.

Read more: HP Photosmart C7280 | Peripherals | Reviews | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk

Re: HP C7280 printer issue by buyerprint (8/9/11 2:37 PM) reply + / -
When printing black only it's very light and only prints the bottom half of each sentence. No error messages and the HP black cartridge is new. The printer indicates all cartridges are good. Anybody got an idea what's going on? Thanks

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Kroc (8/21/11 12:56 PM) reply + / -
Wow! Great! I have a C7280 and was receiving an Ink System Failure Error Message Oxc18a0401. I was on the phone with HP Tech support and they had me power off, etc. enter *6, but nothing worked. While I was on the phone with the tech for over 30 minutes I googled my error issue and found this reply from you so I tried what you said and it worked. The tech never resolved the issue and they said that sending me the 3 ink replacement cartridges would solve my issue. After getting off the phone with the tech I tried your instructions and your instructions worked. I'm so happy I found this forum online.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mda75 (8/24/11 4:44 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much Mr Richardon - another stunning example of how the power of knowledge is unlocked by the internet. Great for toppling Dictatorships as well preventing needless and wasteful replacement of hardware (out of warrenty) for what are essentially software faults...

M

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by davedicko (9/7/11 4:18 PM) reply + / -
I have the same ink failure error message and I have tried the * # 1 2 3 reset method,to no avail,does any one know of a fix for this error?,the only way I can get my printer to work again is to power off and back on again,Cheers...........Dave.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Confido (9/8/11 3:21 AM) reply + / -
Hi Terry: Thanks a million for this - this worked perfectly for me when I was at my wits end!

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Melanie Wilson (9/10/11 10:55 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so much Terry. Your advise fixed my printer straight away. I'm so happy now after wasting so many hours last week trying to get the right help. When I had phoned up HP their telephone system wasn't working properly and they told me I would be best off if I buy a brand new printer. Thanks again.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by JazJon (edited 9/18/11 12:31 AM) reply + / -
After an hour or two, I get the Ink System Failure Error 0xc19a0035. (power off/on, and I'm able to print again for awhile) After a few minutes or a few hours the error pops back on the screen! (and I hear a musical tone)

Thanks! the * #, 123, (set to clear) worked great!

I wish I didnt throw away the ink carts I suspected as being bad. I too use 3rd party non-HP inks so they don't cost much at least.

So far so good.

EDIT: It came back :( I used the * # 123 method again, but this time I picked the Semi FULL reset. (hit OK, then Black, Color) The printer powered off. Turning it on went through the wizard again, and then did a full calibration. I then copied/printed 4 colorful pages as a test. I'm not letting the printer sit on a few hours to see what happens.

HP C7280 No red printing by troutmaster71 (9/18/11 12:40 PM) reply + / -
My C7280 won't print red, although all the inks are full and I have done the resets and head clean etc.

The magentas are streaked on the diagnostic test, but dark magenta is solid after cleaning the printer heads. Light magenta is still streaked.

Having trawled on the net for solutions, I realise this is a common problem, but don't know if there is a fix?

Help please! Thanks

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Lori K (9/23/11 8:28 PM) reply + / -
Terry
You ARE a genius! I use ONLY HP ink. The other day I replaced black with an HP INK cartridge. It was full, but all of a sudden my printer stopped and I got that error message. That HP cartridge must have been defective or some dumb thing. I've spent two frustrating days trying to fix it, following the HP instructions. Spent another day shopping for a new printer, ready to go purchase tomorrow. Your *# 123 SAVED ME! I AM SO HAPPY I CHECKED THIS CHAT GROUP! Miracles never cease. Thank you so much!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by marsha arlen (10/5/11 10:23 AM) reply + / -
Just got back from Best Buy almost bought a new printer. Found this thread after 4 months suffering. Thank you soooo much.
works great. marsha

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by miketj (10/22/11 3:20 PM) reply + / -
Terry's method worked. After 5 hours and ten pounds of sweat I tried this solution and it worked!!!! Was on the phone with HP and nothing happened even though the lady was trying and told me I was out of warranty. Her next thing was to get me to buy a new printer HP8500A for $145.99. I found this thread and save myself some money and time!! I thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by miketj (10/22/11 3:24 PM) reply + / -
This works!!!!!!! The tech had me press and hold the '*' key on the key pad, then press the '#' key and release them both. Then he had me enter '123' to enter maintenance mode. He then had me press the right arrow (beside the OK button) until System Config. menu appeared on panel. Then pressed OK two times to clear the error condition, then cancel two or three times to return to the top menu. Then powered off and back on, printed a test page just fine, copied a document fine.

Terry's method worked. After 5 hours and ten pounds of sweat I tried this solution and it worked!!!! Was on the phone with HP and nothing happened even though the lady was trying and told me I was out of warranty. Her next thing was to get me to buy a new printer HP8500A for $145.99. I found this thread and save myself some money and time!! I thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Susie2057 (10/23/11 1:12 PM) reply + / -
None of these methods have worked for me on a 0xc19a0035 error. I have tried them all more than once and in about 15 minutes I get the same error message. The printer is a HP7280 model.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Alek F (10/25/11 6:41 PM) reply + / -
Nope,
did not work for me, sorry :(
I tried ALL possible options...
but still the error appears ("Ink System Failure", error #0XC19a005)
Don't know what to do...
I've tried resets, settings, configurations, everything...
I'm afraid, will have to just get a new printer

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mbkatt (10/26/11 5:36 PM) reply + / -
I have the C7250 and have no error messages at all. Printer does no print Light Cyan any longer. I have replaced the cartridge a few times with no change in status.

If I print the Extended Self Diagnostic page, it prints everything fine, but no Light Cyan.

I ran the clean print head about a million times with no change. I performed all the tests mentioned above, including resets, nozzle tests, "OK" plus "help" power on, "OK", "Cancel", "Color" & "BlacK" plus power off, etc....

I have come to the conclusion that either print head is clogged or the ink delivery system is clogged. I found a brand new old stock ink delivery system (C9087-60008) online for cheap ($25) so I figure it's worth a try before I fork out another $300 for a better printer.

Here's my problem: I cannot find a service manual for this thing...

Anybody know where to get a service manual or maintenance manual for the C7200 series AIO?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Ezilla82 (10/27/11 6:23 AM) reply + / -
Well the printer works it had a piece of paper stuck so everything is now okay dokey.

re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by momno (11/2/11 5:44 AM) reply + / -
I cant thank you enough ! advise worked well - I had just moved office and re connecting all computers printers etc and was ready to print of invoicing when ink system failier occurred error code 0xc18a0106

the pressing of the buttons you suggested worked and printer when through a reboot and all works as normal again --- yipee

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Ron9898 (11/6/11 6:02 PM) reply + / -
Suzie2057

I have the same problem Re : 0xc19a0035 error
The *, # Method works temporarily. I Noticed when
i did this, a box comes up on the PC about a automatic sensor
for the HP Photopaper being reset.

I am not clear on what the OK- Black-color method is noted above; there are two sets of black-color on my machine.
If someone could clarify that would help.

Perahps this information means something to Terry who posted a solution?

Any help appreciated....

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by roger1956 (11/7/11 6:52 AM) reply + / -
i have error code 0xc18a0001. screen tells me to turn off printer and then back on again, done this numerous times but no joy. any helpful ideas would be great or do i need to just go and buy a different make.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by armie (11/24/11 5:20 PM) reply + / -
I have this problem with my hp photosmart c7280 printer. It says "ink system failure" error "0xc19a0005. Please help. I tried all the solutions posted here for ink system failure but the problem still persists.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by HPc7280NY (11/25/11 8:20 PM) reply + / -
Terry thanks so much for the info which really did help me solve the problem after installing the new ink... I am out of warranty as well and all HP wanted too do was sell me another printer or pay for support totally ridculous... Thx again..

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by dsc7280 (11/25/11 8:34 PM) reply + / -
Thank you terry this solution worked and saved me alot of money. my c7280 is out of warranty and all HP wanted too do was sell me another printer or charge me fees to trouble shoot the problem. Thanks again for posting this fix....

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by craftytms (12/3/11 6:14 AM) reply + / -
Help I have a Ink system failure code 0xc18a0101 and can't seem to figure out what to do. I used all original HP ink carts and it still will not work, does anyone know what to do? Thanks

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by roger1956 (12/3/11 4:15 PM) reply + / -
re my post of 11/7/11 2.52pm.
I spoke to a guy who said change the ink cartridges as i could have one with a faulty chip in. this i did and then i did as Miketj (10/22/11 @ 3:24pm) suggested -This works!!!!!!! The tech had me press and hold the '*' key on the key pad, then press the '#' key and release them both. Then he had me enter '123' to enter maintenance mode. He then had me press the right arrow (beside the OK button) until System Config. menu appeared on panel. Then pressed OK two times to clear the error condition, then cancel two or three times to return to the top menu. Then powered off and back on, printed a test page just fine, copied a document fine.

and it did.... printer hasn't dropped a beat since.

hope this helps someone

regards roger.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by craftytms (12/3/11 7:03 PM) reply + / -
Roger, it works, thanks soo much!!!!

Terri

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Mikezz (edited 12/7/11 11:09 AM) reply + / -
I have a HP 7280 I got a used that the person would have recycled. (I really like the 02 inks in that they do not waste ink like all the others). The printer came with all the color inks missing and I don't know how long it sat that way. Replaced with inks from other printer I scrapped and after initial errors with ink pump stalled and carriage jammed (it really wasn't) it finally started working. Lots of gear crunching noises during that process! After cleaning it up it seemed to work fine except that the first 4x6 photo on HP Advance paper, it seemed to do one pass of the head and pause and then do another, taking quite a bit longer than it should take. Now after printing several text pages it prints photos fast.

My problem is it occasionally displays the ink system failure warning just sitting there not being used and a message to power off and on. Upon powering on gets a warning about improper shutdown. Hardware error status is clear. I think maybe it needs to more fully prime but I'm not sure if I should do a head cleaning or ink initialization. Which one would help the problem without rendering the printer useless? I know when I did a print head alignment on the old one it used a lot of ink and usually its routing cleaning/priming cycles that it does every few days doesn't appear to use ink. One thing I noticed is that it does not seem to be doing its priming/cleaning process that it supposed to do every few days. I think my original C7280 could have been salvaged it I new about the service menu before it got to the point where it would not boot up. I would like to keep this one running as these are the only printers I've had that have never had clogged nozzles. I think HP discountinued them because they do not waste enough ink!

Any help would be appreciated,

Mike

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Mikezz (12/7/11 11:10 AM) reply + / -
I have a HP 7280 I got a used that the person would have recycled. (I really like the 02 inks in that they do not waste ink like all the others). The printer came with all the color inks missing and I don't know how long it sat that way. Replaced with inks from other printer I scrapped and after initial errors with ink pump stalled and carriage jammed (it really wasn't) it finally started working. Lots of gear crunching noises during that process! After cleaning it up it seemed to work fine except that the first 4x6 photo on HP Advance paper, it seemed to do one pass of the head and pause and then do another, taking quite a bit longer than it should take. Now after printing several text pages it prints photos fast.

My problem is it occasionally displays the ink system failure warning just sitting there not being used and a message to power off and on. Upon powering on gets a warning about improper shutdown. Hardware error status is clear. I think maybe it needs to more fully prime but I'm not sure if I should do a head cleaning or ink initialization. Which one would help the problem without rendering the printer useless? I know when I did a print head alignment on the old one it used a lot of ink and usually its routing cleaning/priming cycles that it does every few days doesn't appear to use ink. One thing I noticed is that it does not seem to be doing its priming/cleaning process that it supposed to do every few days. I think my original C7280 could have been salvaged it I new about the service menu before it got to the point where it would not boot up. I would like to keep this one running as these are the only printers I've had that have never had clogged nozzles. I think HP discountinued them because they do not waste enough ink!

Any help would be appreciated,

Mike

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Cflores (12/20/11 12:52 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone have any suggestions for Oxc19a0007 error? I have a HP photosmart touch screen printer and so there are no buttons to press or hold down...I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by rajj (12/20/11 3:11 PM) reply + / -
I got the ink system failure error - 0xc18a0101. I tried the #* 123 code solution and it solved the problem. However, it is important to replace the empty cartridges with the new ones before doing this. After doing the above steps, i got a different error - 0x00000000 but below it said turn power off and on again (use power switch on printer and not the power switch on the wall). I did that and no more errors appeared.

I think i got this error because i did not replace couple of cartridges for some time after they became empty. Hope this helps.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by énervé (edited 12/21/11 8:37 AM) reply + / -

HP C7280 Ink System Failure by énervé (12/21/11 8:35 AM) reply + / -
as a last resort, just before junking that piece of crap HP7280, I tried ink ordered from CA (printforless...). Code 0xc19a003etc.. doesnt' have time to appear. I just get "incorrect cartriges" and "printer configured to use 363 ink cartriges".
Anyone knows how to reconfigure for any ink? I have a french bought model C7280 that might be different from the US spec model???????
thanks
remi

HP C7280 Ink System Failure.0xc19a0005 by alan4 (12/24/11 6:02 AM) reply + / -
So far, no solutions have worked for the 0xc19a0005 error code for Ink System Failure. Apparently, the error codes are very specific, and solutions for some error codes do not work for this code. Any suggestions for this specific code are welcome. Thanks, Alan4

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by cschmoll (12/29/11 12:34 PM) reply + / -
I am installing the HPC7280 for a friend of mine and have only gotten to the step of installing the print cartridges that came with the printer, pressed "OK" to initialize and the printer simply hung there and eventually an error message came up saying that one or more cartridges are installed incorrectly or damaged. I've checked and they are installed correctly. I did the power off, unplug thing that HP recommends and that did not work. The same message appears and the blinking icon continues to blind us. I can't get pass this to finish with the installation! Any suggestions. My friend bought the printer about 10 months ago and has just pulled it out of the box.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mbkatt (1/23/12 2:29 PM) reply + / -
Well I thought I would update you folks... I replaced the (C9087-60008) Ink Delivery system on mine to no avail... Turns out the printhead was completely clogged. I spent several hours trying to clean it manually, with it removed from the printer based on some videos I found online. Still, did not fix it. The cheapest new printhead assembly I could find for it was $90 on ebay and I just didn't think it was worth any more time/$...

I finally gave up. My C7250 had been a great printer for all those years and worked great with a CISS... But the HP software was always a dog and caused my PC all kinds of network delays since I used the printer as a network printer.

I bit the bullet and got rid of HP all together. Now I have an excellent Epson that seems to have no issues at all, other than $$$ spent for it.

Good luck to all those who still use their C7200 series HP units. I wish you the best.

Mike

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by MichX (1/28/12 4:24 AM) reply + / -
The only solution for the error 0xc19a0035 on Photosmart C7280 is to change one defective Capacitor 330uF 10V on board.
Now my Printer is working perfectly

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Susie2057 (1/28/12 4:38 AM) reply + / -
And how was that done? Where is it located etc. More info needed.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by uart (1/28/12 8:51 PM) reply + / -
Dear MichX,
Could you help to show the location of 330uF capacitor? It's should be a printing word something like C123(Number should be difference) near the capacitor installed location.

Thank you.

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by MichX (1/29/12 7:19 AM) reply + / -
Dear uart,

The location of this defective 330uf 10V capacitor is C613.

P:S: To my mind it will be the same thing for another capacitor (680uf 6,3V located in C614) with a little deformation on the top, but for the moment, my printer is ok... we will see in the future...

Best regards

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Berncarter1 (1/31/12 2:49 PM) reply + / -
Terry! You are AWESOME!!
You saved me from the dusty hell that is the area beneath my desk, and from wasting $55 worth of Ink, AND a call to India that would have left me frustrated and the issue unresolved.
I don't know if you will even see this YEARS after your original post, but thanks.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by klaviatury (2/13/12 9:54 PM) reply + / -
Ink system failure seems to be a bit shady, being on the move I often have to move printers from site to site and burned thru several hp printers. The need for printing cabailities does not allow me to waste time on waiting for servicing so i would normally just pick up another hp since i have cases and cases of that model ink. Apart from the errors i noticed print quality go in the toilet from move to move. Bored and tired of replacing hp printers i decided to put engineering to use. I was amazed at the findings when i took the machine apart.

Warning: Taking a electrical device apart without proper safety and knowledge can caused physical and or emotional injury, could also cause more damage to your broken machine. I am just reporting my findings and they are not recommended for use. I do not care to give specifics as not intended for reproduction, but it requires removing all panels a couple circuit boards and fragile ribbins dont even bother if you are not comfortable with lots sensetive parts.

Searching for the cause of image quality loss on my latest machine of a few weeks! I noticed these silly machines lie about ink level, empty means 1/4th full which was fixed by flipping the battery over ((dont ask it was a mistake but it worked, (will no longer display ink levels on screen but the software will. Besides what is the point of a meter if it is not accurate nor precise)) oddly enough tho it still saves wifi settings still dont understand why the battery seems to only be used to save ink data but who cares. This allowed me to print on empty and expired inks (Warning HP does state old ink will clog print heads, has not for me but time will tell)

Still searching for the reason for failures and quality loss, it puzzled me why movement would cause the system to fail. Going deeper into the apparatus I noticed there is a adjustment screw on the left that seems as if it was never tight (which was confirmed on the other machines that were in storage later on) then eurika that screw holds a pully in place that seems to serve the purpose of adjusting the rods that hold the print head! The further it moves the less quality on images since the print head is raised, too far back and it seems the print head gets jammed and loses positioning causing the silly ink system failure. Also noticed that it is what causes the gear grinding noise we become accustomed to before Ink system errors, it doesnt seem to get enough friction in the up position between the gears on the carriage and the printer. After adjusting pully and screwing it tight my image quality is back to 100% and i have not recieved a single ink system error!

I am not fully convinced HP troubleshooting on removing the power and pressing a button serves a purpose since as proven by repositioning the battery that critical systems are not supported by battery power so pressing a button while its off seems rather useless. The only thing i can think of is based on the positioning of hp power cords and their hard to remove plugs the force generated by pulling the cord is just enough to reposition the rod till the next time.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Soosie (2/16/12 3:15 AM) reply + / -
Terry Richardson

You are my hero! just about to launch my HP C7280 into a skip.... tried your suggested fix and all well again.

Many Thanks.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by craigL (2/23/12 7:53 AM) reply + / -
Wow! This fixed the problem with mine as well, thanks very much for posting this. I wonder if HP builds this into thier chipsets to have us go out and buy another printer?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by raphaelnikolai (2/24/12 12:31 PM) reply + / -
If you need a video or pictures on how to open and replace the Capacitors you can check out this link:

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/ink-system-failure-error-0xc18a-hp/

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by raphaelnikolai (2/24/12 12:42 PM) reply + / -
If you need a video or pictures on how to open and replace the Capacitors you can check out this link:

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/ink-system-failure-error-0xc18a-hp/

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by joeaman (2/25/12 10:35 AM) reply + / -
I had been getting the 0xc19a0035 Ink System Failure on my HP C7280 for while. I tried all the reset codes and such, but no help. After seeing the post about the bad capacitor, I opened up the case, took the board loose, and sure enough, the said capacitor had a swelled end cap. I ordered a replacement from radioshack.com, replaced it in just a few minutes, and now my printer is working just like new again! Thanks so much for the help.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by kpickell (3/10/12 12:07 PM) reply + / -
Showing an ink expiration near. The exclamation point is blinking. Normally we hit the "ok" button and go on, but this time nothing is working. Any suggestions? thanks

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Allistah (3/23/12 5:32 PM) reply + / -
I had the problem with the pump motor error message and all the other error messages that people are posting. I could get it to work for a bit and then it would fail again. I replaced both of the 330uf capacitors and that fixed the problem. The replacements were 16v instead of 10v but they're working fine.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Hardeep771 (4/4/12 7:35 PM) reply + / -
Guys my printer c7288 was lying at the HP authorized service station for the last almost 1 year since they told e that it was beyond repairt and literrally forced me into buying a new printer. A similar incident had happened to me with a HP desktop and then a printer 2410.
Thanks to this website, I repaired the 2410 and now the c7288 ! As far as the HP Pavilion desktop was concerned I changed the motherboard and it worked.
So guys HP is cheating on customers outright.
And this must stop.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by rbjohnsn (4/19/12 4:04 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, it worked for me, but had to repeat the procedure twice.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mrskenl (4/26/12 6:39 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem saying "ink system failure". After I tried a slew of different attempts to fix it, the "*#123" worked only to act like it was printing but I only got blank pages. No ink applied. So then I tried different reset solutions in the "*#123", which now I have the "wrong cartridges" error, and it won't do anything. I tried unplugging it, etc. Nothing is working. This is my second HP printer and I swear they are pre-programmed to crash withing 2-3 years so you buy another. I won't be buying another HP printer. I wish I could remember the brand I had before these, that lasted me 5 years with no problems.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mrskenl (4/26/12 7:04 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem saying "ink system failure". After I tried a slew of different attempts to fix it, the "*#123" (as instructed from another post) worked only to act like it was printing but I only got blank pages. No ink applied. So then I tried different reset solutions in the "*#123", which now I have the "wrong cartridges" error, and it won't do anything. I tried unplugging it, etc. Nothing is working. This is my second HP printer and I swear they are pre-programmed to crash within 2-3 years so you buy another. I won't be buying another HP printer. I wish I could remember the brand I had before these last two, which lasted me 5 years with no problems.

I now just took out all the ink cartridges and closed the lid. It said no ink cartridges, replace with HP ink cartridges. So I put the same, used (HP) ink cartridges, that I had in there back in and closed the lid. It then said "cancelling printing" with the on/off light flashing. It did this for awhile, I waited for it to do something, but got tired of waiting so I decided to shut it off. I turned it back on and it's now working normally.

Geez what an ordeal!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Brad H (5/21/12 6:03 PM) reply + / -
Had to to join to thank Terry re advice for fixing HP C7280 "ink system failure".... @ Terry, thanks so much, you are the man !

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by wartree (5/25/12 8:14 AM) reply + / -
Tx a lot for getting me out of troubble.

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Cassie9476 (6/7/12 8:42 AM) reply + / -
I just wanted to thank you for posting these instructions! Nothing was working for my printer - I've literally been working on it for the last hour, and everything was pointing to me having to pay for it to be serviced, but your instructions did the trick! Thank you soooo soooo much!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Susie2057 (6/8/12 1:40 PM) reply + / -
I gave up on my printer after trying all the suggestions and nothing worked. Replaced the capacitor and it worked for all of 1/2 a day before getting a different error. Went out and bought a Brother printer. No more HP printers for me ever again.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by rbjohnsn (6/15/12 3:53 PM) reply + / -
Everytime I go to print I need to clear the ink failure and cycle power off the on.

Then the printer works fine untill something times out, not sure how long, but so much for buying another Hp printer. My Hp 871c & Hp Laserjet IIIp are still working just fine after two decades. The c7280 is only 2 years old!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by mccormick (7/14/12 1:42 PM) reply + / -
Terry Richardson knows what he is talking about!!! Thank you so very much as I have gone without a printer for several days now. And like magic, my printer is working again. I had to try several times and went a week without a printer so you can imagine how happy that makes me. All of my stress over this printer is gone as I was ready to throw the thing out. You deserve a metal as you are better than the HP advice. Thanks for reaching out to people in need!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by TANGO481 (9/11/12 8:10 PM) reply + / -
I am also getting the "Ink System Failure" message with my C7280 All-In-One, but with a '0xc19a003f'. I have tried following the instructions on the printer as well as the suggestions in this (and other) forums. Is anyone else having this error code pop up? Has anyone been able to fix their problems with this error code?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by teacherntech (9/26/12 4:35 PM) reply + / -
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! I followed the #/* 123 steps, and it worked like a charm! You are AWESOME Terry Richardson! I am a teacher that has been hit with fierce budget cuts. This was a printer I bought for my classroom and desperately relied on. Thank you for saving me!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by labgirl (10/9/12 10:04 AM) reply + / -
After I did the #*123 steps, I am now stuck with a "wrong cartridges message. says "use intoductory cartridges that were shipped with your printer." My cartriges are genuine HP. Turned off, unpluged power supply, powered back on. same message. I can't get the printer to respond. Any other tricks?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Jell (11/21/12 5:20 PM) reply + / -
Great advice throughout this thread. Thanks to everyone who have posted their fixes and thanks to the originator of this thread for starting it to begin with!

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Sergiomanca (1/24/13 3:34 AM) reply + / -
Good morning, my C7280 has an ink failure message 0cx19a0003.
May someone tell me if there is a solution?
Thanks,
I Write from Italy.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by RCoil (1/29/13 6:12 AM) reply + / -
My printer is 5 years old and was manufactured with faulty capacitors that degraded over time. In addition to the Ink System failure after being on for a few minutes, my Wireless radio stopped working. You can search the internet to find out about the industry wide problem with cheap capacitors in that era. HP should own up and replace the boards but they won't. The following is for those with a little mechanical and soldering experience. It is a simple job for any shop that can do electronics repair.

If you carefully remove the right end panel, held on with two screws and plastic tabs in slots, (gently pry and wiggle the cover) you can get to the board. If you remove four screws and gently remove the connections you can turn the board over. You will likely find 1 or more capacitors with a bulge on the top. Mine had 4 bad ones grouped together. I ordered new capacitors and replaced them. The cost was about $15, including shipping.
Two of the capacitors I ordered were 16V 330uF, and two were 16V 680uF. The originals were a lower voltage rating of 10V.

My printer is now working like new.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by ibrahim2013 (1/31/13 10:06 PM) reply + / -
I have been recieving an error code 0xc05d1281 from My HP printer C7280.
Can someone help me fix the problem?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by BATTY (2/12/13 1:24 AM) reply + / -
Now here's an interesting thought.
I have two HP 7280's which were used on a regular basis with no problems, even with cheap refills!!
Then one day after a software upgrade from HP they both developed the ink systen fail message.
Makes me wonder if HP were a little short of funds and maybe have put something in the software update to get us all phoning the useless helpline or even buying a new printer???

HP C6283 Ink System Failure by sajadwani (3/4/13 1:52 AM) reply + / -
Any suggestion please, i followed many but didnt solve any one.

Ink System has failed.Unable to print
Refer to printer documentation
Error: 0xc18a0206
turn power off, then on again..

HP C7280 Ink System Failure code 0xc18a0101 by Ravensboys48 (4/8/13 10:27 AM) reply + / -
Dear Kimberly3d,
Response to your post from 09/01/09

My "Ink System Failure" code was also 0xc18a0101. I am so glad I looked further for your comment with the same error code. Because I was about to abandon the procedure due to the negative replies before yours.

The Procedure Sequence: (from Terry Richardson's post on 9/4/08)
Press and hold the '*' key on the key pad, then press the '#' key and release them both.
Enter '123' for the maintenance code.
Press the 'right arrow' (beside the OK button) until System Config menu appears on the display
Press 'OK' two times to clear error condition.
Press 'Cancel' two or three times to return to the top menu.
Power the printer off and back on.
Print a test page.

So for you that have given up hope, my C7280 is several years old. I repeated the procedure, about three or four times, until the printer display gave me a "Clear Paper Jam" message. I removed the paper from the paper tray and removed and replaced the two-sided printing accessory in the back of the printer. OK'd back to the main display and put paper back into the paper tray. Incidently, there was no paper jam, but going through the motions seemed to satisfied the printer gods. Finally, I executed a print test page and it printed out perfect.

I am back in business and didn't have to put out the money for a new all-in-one. Thank you kimberly3d for your seemingly insignificant, two line post and Thank you Terry Richardson, where ever you are. Because of the both of you, I saved hundreds of dollars! Muuaaaw! :-)

Re: Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by bashio (5/31/13 12:02 PM) reply + / -
Terry
You are dead on correct about "Baloney". I have had my HP C2780 All-in-One (POS) since at least 2008. It is now 06/01/2013. Today, I received repeated 'Oxc5d0281' errors. Tried HP maintenance first - repeatedly. No Joy. Tried everything I could think of. I am not a techie.

Went through your suggested 'walk throughs' to reset both ink level and hardware. Rebooted machine and voila. It works. Much thanks for advice, and saving me a phone call, money and a new All-in-One. The next one will not be a HP.

I know this is an old machine, but the technology and functions are basic enough that HP should support for free. Glad to join
'fixyourownprinter.com'. Thanks again Terry. Great advice!!
JB

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by tinaw (9/17/13 8:00 PM) reply + / -
HI, I saw this thread while searching for the "ink system Failure" code. I encountered this code after a storm came through our area.

I have a C7250 and when I hovered over this thread, it mentioned someone having this type of printer like mine. Does the same buttons function?

Right now, it is working but I completely uninstalled all the software. I was going to buy another printer, but IT ended up not working either so I am being refunded. I thought, "Well, it's broke anyway, maybe if I reinstalled it back, I could fix it. What could it hurt." I did and so far it's printing.

I would like to be prepared in case it does it again. I know HP is a pain in the keister, but I have had great results with my C7250. At least I would like to use it until I can get enough money to upgrade to another photo printer.... It may not be HP, but who knows.

If any one can help me, it would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Sincerely,

One hacked mom who's desperate! :D

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Sarah Hewitt (10/21/13 10:05 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much for posting this.. worked a treat!

Sarah

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by PJF (1/8/14 1:15 PM) reply + / -
The * # 123 solution didn't work for me but I found another that did.

Unplug printer

Hold down help and okay buttons.

Reconnect power.

When you release the buttons there is a reset message.

The printer re-initialises as if straight out the box.

(I then was given a message that said two of my cartridges were out of date and needed to be changed. I changed them.)

Everything now works perfectly.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Calipete (1/10/14 5:18 AM) reply + / -
Hey, Thanks Terry. Worked for me too like a charm on my C7280!
Respect!
Cheers
Pete

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by PanPap (edited 1/12/14 11:20 PM) reply + / -
Hi,

I have HP c7280 Ink system failure with code error 0xc19a0007 and it was stop to print .
Then :
I did the procedure * # 123

and the printer starts to print but can not use any ink the printer head
All the cartridges was full of ink it was started to print but nothing printed on the paper

The pump is working perfect. The head is moving ok . Everything is working but the ink head does not print.

If any one have an idea to fix it ?

I will be appreciate

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Ben Ferko (3/13/14 11:46 PM) reply + / -
My issue is that the magenta, both light and dark, wont print, not one drop of ink, on the printer test page report.

However, when I tried the method of pulling the power cord, then pushing the "help" and "OK" buttons, (Reset the system method) as suggested by "PJF" and tried printing a test page again, it did print one of the magenta's on the alignment test page. (Even on the birds at the bottom of the test page.)

I tried the self test page again and still no magenta.

According to the "TAP" test report, the printer head is OK. I am receiving no error reports or codes. I am using re-manufactured ink cartridges. I replaced them all at the same time and everything else works. I tried replacing the magenta cartridges with another set, from the same company re-manufacturer with same results. No Magenta accept when I re- tried the System reset method I first spoke of. That test again printed one of the magenta colours, just as neat as you please. When I tried the self test again...nothing.

Any suggestions? Please reply. Thanks. - Ben

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Geo III (3/16/14 12:48 PM) reply + / -
I'm getting the error message 0xc18a0106. And it also say refer to printer documentation, I have no clue please help. Thanks

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by moe (3/16/14 6:18 PM) reply + / -
Did you try any of the numerous suggestions above?

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by harsav (7/26/14 9:41 AM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot! The solution suggested by Terry Richardson worked for me. Thanks again for putting the solution here.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Adrian Boorman (11/15/14 6:01 AM) reply + / -
Thanks A MILLION to Terry Richardson! I had just this same problem and tried everything. Was about to ring the Samaritans as a last resort when I thought I'd give your instructions a go. Brilliant! Worked perfectly. Problem cured, error cleared first time. I can go back to printing Banknotes in perfect colour now :-)

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by alex0401 (12/4/14 1:55 PM) reply + / -
I have this dreaded message (amongst others) and I have been trying to sort it for days now.

Of course I have tried the *#123 and the various resets (all of them) - current error is 0xc05d1281.

I tried the OK/Cancel to reset (I think) the ink pipes.

Anyway, on a couple of occasions in the last 2-3 hours, using the support menu (*#123) I got a test print to run, and it produced a nice test print with coloured horizontal blocks of all the colours + some more fine grid boxes in different colours.

As that works, it seems that there isn't really a problem with the inks (all new), the printer or the pump.

When I am lucky enough to be able to submit a test page to print, it goes through the alignment routine, lots of whirring and clicking and then comes up with the error.

It puzzles me how it can print something within the support menu, and fail every other time.

Any ideas gratefully received.

cheers

alex

Re: Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure - adjustment w by alex0401 (12/4/14 3:24 PM) reply + / -
just to get reply notification - which I forgot in the last post

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure UPDATE - SOLVED??? by alex0401 (12/5/14 1:53 AM) reply + / -
I found my problem, although not fixed as yet.

Some kind person (forgot name) posted that they found an issue with the tightness of some band. (I'd like to thank that person!!)

I checked my printer and found that a white gear wheel had fallen off its mounting, and consequently the whole "getting ready to print" routine failed, and then you end up with the Ink System Failure.

I replaced the gear and no more "Ink System Failure". Unfortunately for me, I now get repeatedly the common "Pump Motor Stalled". I can see what is happening - the gears don't mesh very well, and I think I need to make sure everything is in line - but for now, I have to go to work.

I did notice that the bracket that holds the gear that fell off, does not appear to be straight and I can see the gears jam and don't seem to work very well.

A lot of people have reported that they hear a lot of gear noise, whirring, clicking, in particular grinding. I think there is a design fault in these printers that the whole gear assembly components are simply not robust enough, and I wager that these excessive noises are a good sign that eventually the printer will fail.

If you have this failure check:

1)Excessive grinding, look at the gears in operation.

2) Capacitor problems, check for post, some have cured the problem by replacing some. (search forum to find the helpful posts)

3) Sometimes, resetting can work. Lots of help on this forum, by pressing various key combinations:
*# 1,2,3 etc.
CANC/OK
there are several, and they appear to do slightly different things, so try all you can find on this forum

4) Cartridge problems. Remove all the cartridges, and give them a really good shake, and I mean really good. Then follow by reset as in (3)

5) Sometimes (possibly more than a few); the ink cartridge software in the printer decides that the inks are expired/not HP; I can only guess what is the real story unless HP tell the whole story, and not just tell us to always use HP inks. I get the message to "install cartridges that were shipped with the printer" HAHA, that was years ago.

One solution posted was to remove the battery. The posts I read said that this could be just for a moment or two, and others just removed it permanently. They say that is only needed for faxes in daily operation, but that if there the printer can check dates of ink install against today, and decide that they are too old. I removed mine, as I never use fax. Fiddly Job though.

I think that's about all I can remember from the last few attempts.

Thanks all for the various posts, and maybe I'll get it fixed.

Otherwise, a new (non HP) printer will be on its way.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure UPDATE - SOLVED??? by alex0401 (12/5/14 1:59 AM) reply + / -
I found my problem, although not fixed as yet.

Some kind person (forgot name) posted that they found an issue with the tightness of some band. (I'd like to thank that person!!)

I checked my printer and found that a white gear wheel had fallen off its mounting, and consequently the whole "getting ready to print" routine failed, and then you end up with the Ink System Failure.

I replaced the gear and no more "Ink System Failure". Unfortunately for me, I now get repeatedly the common "Pump Motor Stalled". I can see what is happening - the gears don't mesh very well, and I think I need to make sure everything is in line - but for now, I have to go to work.

I did notice that the bracket that holds the gear that fell off, does not appear to be straight and I can see the gears jam and don't seem to work very well.

A lot of people have reported that they hear a lot of gear noise, whirring, clicking, in particular grinding. I think there is a design fault in these printers that the whole gear assembly components are simply not robust enough, and I wager that these excessive noises are a good sign that eventually the printer will fail.

SUMMARY

The following list is my summary of things others have posted that have solved the problem: (Thanks All!!!)

1)Excessive grinding, look at the gears in operation if you can, if it sounds like a poor car gear change, then its probably not working so well. In my case it was like this for more than a year, and the resets would sometimes work, but finally it is a component failure causing my problem.

2) Capacitor problems, check for post, some have cured the problem by replacing some. (search forum to find the helpful posts)

3) Sometimes, resetting can work. Lots of help on this forum, by pressing various key combinations:
*# 1,2,3 etc.
CANC/OK
there are several, and they appear to do slightly different things, so try all you can find on this forum

4) Cartridge problems. Remove all the cartridges, and give them a really good shake, and I mean really good. Then follow by reset as in (3)

5) Sometimes (possibly more than a few); the ink cartridge software in the printer decides that the inks are expired/not HP; I can only guess what is the real story unless HP tell the whole story, and not just tell us to always use HP inks. I get the message to "install cartridges that were shipped with the printer" HAHA, that was years ago.

One solution posted was to remove the battery. The posts I read said that this could be just for a moment or two, and others just removed it permanently. They say that is only needed for faxes in daily operation, but that if there the printer can check dates of ink install against today, and decide that they are too old. I removed mine, as I never use fax. Fiddly Job though.

I think that's about all I can remember from the last few attempts.

Thanks all for the various posts, and maybe I'll get it fixed.

Otherwise, a new (non HP) printer will be on its way.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by Birger (12/16/14 10:37 AM) reply + / -
Finally I found the way to deal with this issue.
I had the ink system failure and it prompted an earlier shut down of the printer. Even the fax was not working after the notice appeared. I assume that a print cartridge was at fault although the printer appeared to work flawless.
So, here is the remedy which not one HP rep had offered. It only took 3 years to discover.
Take out all cartridges and one by one with a screwdriver or other blunt object tap them many times left and right, bottom and top, do not puncture the pick up area, shake opening over a paper and make sure some ink will show on it. Reinstall and enjoy your success.

Re: HP C7280 Ink System Failure by alex0401 (12/16/14 2:56 PM) reply + / -
Yes, I followed something similar. But for me it didn't work. In the end I found a problem with the gear wheels driving the print head, and firing up the pump. One wheel had fallen off. When I replaced it, it worked for a few pages, but it was so flimsy, I could see them coming out of alignment and then the dreaded error again.

For £45 I bought a new canon printer which seems flimsier, but nevertheless gets better reliability ratings from users than the HP.

We shall see....

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters