fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson Stylus Photo R340

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson Stylus Photo R340 by longshanks (6/26/07 11:10 PM) reply + / -
I am receiving a servive is required message on my Epson Stylus Photo R340, can anyone give me a solution without having to return it to the shop.

The SSC Service Utility does not support the R340.

Thanks for help

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by john.erickson (7/4/07 12:42 PM) reply + / -
I do not know which error message you received. One of the errors, "Service required. See your manual for details," is related to the waste ink counter. To reset the waste ink counter, press the following three buttons simultaneously, until the unit powers off: Power, Setup, and Stop. Then turn the power back on.

After you reset the counter, you need to redirect the waste ink or you will continue to get this error. On the back of the printer is a little door that is held by a screw. Remove the door and look inside, looking down, for a piece of white absorbent. Under the absorbent is a "clear" tube. This is the waste ink tube. Pull the end out (there will only be a few inches that protrude from the back of the printer). Now, connect some tubing to this, fish aquarium tubing works well, and push the free end into a jar or bottle that has a hole cut in the top or lid.

Once you redirect the waste ink away from the absorbent and sensors, you will no longer receive the error message. If you do a lot of printing, you should also look using at a continuous ink system (CIS). They can be found on eBay or from several vendors like Print-On-a-Dime. The same CIS will fit the R300, R320 and R340.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by longshanks (7/8/07 12:56 AM) reply + / -
Thanks alot, will give it a go and let u no, i took it to my local comp, shop but they cudnt do it.Cheers appreciate your help.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by paddym53 (7/11/07 8:31 PM) reply + / -
I recieved A message on my R340, while I was printing, saying that parts of my priner were nearing the end of they're life cycle. I was able to continue printing for about an hour, and then no more. Now I get the message....service required. Does anyone have an idea of what parts would be nearing the end of they're life cycle ?? I have never heard of this before.

Thanks for the help

Re: Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by ycart (7/21/07 10:38 AM) reply+2 + / -
Hi,
Have done all you have said and is still not working any ideas??

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by wisconsin_fan (7/27/07 3:04 PM) reply+1 + / -
My Epson Stylus Photo R340 displays " A printer error occurred. Please see your manual." It said to un-plug it and plug it back in, so i did, but nothing happened. I made sure there wasn't anything in the way. I reset the waste ink counter. I've also used the basis maintenance programs that came with the printer. Nothing seems to be working. If anyone know a solution or anyway to fix the problem, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Dave

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by ghough12 (8/11/07 1:01 AM) reply + / -
Can anyone verify that you can recover from the end of life service error for waste ink.
No SSC , power done sequence, taking out the pads, washing and drying etc seems to work.

Is there some magic incantation I should be muttering or should I abandon hope after sending loads of money on continuous ink system and really expensive inks?

Come on community members spill the techy info.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by dwyer55 (10/23/07 11:07 AM) reply + / -
Hi my epson r340 keeps ejecting paper saying paper or cd/dvd tray jam. there is no obstruction. will print a nozzle check but nothing else

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by Anonymous (11/25/07 1:54 PM) reply + / -
There is a black pad that absorbs ink - I just put several shhets of paper towels over ir and pressed down lightly to soak it up. Then the printer started working again.

Re: Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by lord thomas (12/8/07 6:33 AM) reply + / -
I have done all that resetting several times also using scc my protection counter goes to zero but the error message service required. see your manual for details reappears, when checking proction counter in scc programme, it goes to 32078 over 46750
I clear to zero again and it reterns to the same can you please help in any way I have used the scc programme before with great success on other epson printers. Aso this printer has had an external waste tank as suggested from new.

Many thanks
Tom

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by shintaro (12/8/07 11:50 AM) reply + / -
hi

the ssc does support the r340 it is even in the uptodate listing use these links to get the copy

hi

2 links below first is to download the utility and it does work for the R340

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

second is a step by step instruction page on how to use the utility, i suspect you are not using it correctely

http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

and this even has pretty pictures

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by MrPhwartz (12/15/07 11:23 AM) reply + / -
...precisely the same problem as wisconsin_fan.[Error Message...A printer error occurred. Please see your manual]...we check the manual and it advises re-boot printer..moments later the same message appears...anyone know the answer?
thxinadvance..MrP.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by kenken (10/4/08 7:30 AM) reply + / -
I keep getting the following error on startup "A printer error has occurred. Please see your manual." Neither the manual nor Epson's online troubleshooting site has been of any help. This printer has been used intermittently, not regularly. Given its usage it is relatively new. It was working well before the error message. Any ideas or advice would be welcome. Have a nice day!

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by MMurray (10/4/08 5:58 PM) reply + / -
The fatal error you describe is usually diagnosed by observing the printer at startup because Epson's fatal errors are very non-specific. If you open the top cover and start the printer and then describe what the printer does until it stops, then someone may be able to give you some idea of what to look for to diagnose the problem.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by sassyjo10 (1/4/09 2:24 PM) reply + / -
I tried all that it says I installed the SSC utility checked that I was using it correctly. used the hose to redirect the ink into a bottle. Still getting the error upson starting printer. Service reguired.See your manual for details. How the heck does Epson get by with this? Thanks for any help.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by Anonymous (1/4/09 3:23 PM) reply + / -
I know what you mean. Have a printer stop or have ink leak out and runing the desk. I say let the ink flow and ruin the desk and anything on the desk. Much like H.P. printers do.

There is a manual reset allover the forum. Use the SEARCH feature. And how do they gat away with the search feature, I asy it's easier to just keep reading posts 'til you find what you are looking for. What a outrage!!!

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by MMurray (1/5/09 6:23 PM) reply + / -
And while we are at it lets make a pact to not read the post directly above ours because it doesn't have a simple, easy to use fix and we don't want to hear that we might have to do something to find out how to fix it.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by sassyjo10 (1/5/09 7:20 PM) reply + / -
Not sure if u guys are making fun of me or not as it goes over my head what u said,lol. But manual reset as in holding 3 buttons or turning off printer and back on doesnt work either. If u are talking about something else when u say manual, guess search feature is useless for me as I have already looked. Thanks,I guess anyway.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by Anonymous (1/5/09 11:21 PM) reply + / -
If the manual reset did not work and the SSC utility did not work then you would need the actual adjustment program from here http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?cPath=56_50&products_id=718

I would then to think the printer has a logic problem if both other methods did not work. But the adjustment program is fairly cheap so that could be a option for you.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by Barbra (1/6/09 6:45 PM) reply + / -
My printer keeps saying 'paper out' even though there is paper. when I try to push it through, it just goes through without printing. Please advise me to fix this problem.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R350 by shree (1/24/09 3:51 AM) reply + / -
My Epson Stylus Photo R350 displays " A printer error occurred. Please see your manual." It said to un-plug it and plug it back in, so i did, but nothing happened. I made sure there wasn't anything in the way. I reset the waste ink counter. I've also used the basis maintenance programs that came with the printer. Nothing seems to be working. If anyone know a solution or anyway to fix the problem, I'd appreciate it.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by RH (2/17/09 10:13 AM) reply + / -
Hello
My Epson says it has no errors and when you goto print somthing, paper goes through it, although no ink is on the paper, i have tried replacing the cartridges cleaning head alighment everything, can anyone help ?
THanks

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by kenken (2/17/09 12:17 PM) reply + / -
My R340 also suffered this fate. You might try the following recommended procedure:
1. shut off the printer
2. restart it pressing these buttons SIMULTANEOUSLY: ON, SETUP, and STOP
3. keep pressing these buttons until the printer powers down, that is OFF.
4. Now, restart it as usual.

Alas, this procedure hasn't yet worked for me; but I continue to try it.
Good luck!

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by kenken (2/18/09 9:05 PM) reply + / -
Try reinstalling the printer software.
if that doesn't work, go to the Epson website and:
a. download any drivers you should have
b.select inkjet printers, scroll to your printer, open the interactive troubleshooting site, and follow the instructions.

Good luck!

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by RH (2/19/09 3:07 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your advice, unfortuantly this hasnt worked either, i have teken the entire print head out and cleaned it, the printer then printed very faintly, now again it wont print anything

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by kenken (2/19/09 1:57 PM) reply + / -
Follow these steps to print the nozzle check:

Make sure that letter size paper is loaded in the sheet feeder, the CD/DVD tray is not inserted in the printer, and the CD/DVD guide is up.

Press the Setup button.

Press the button to choose Nozzle Check.

Press the button, then press OK. The printer should print the nozzle check pattern.

If not, use the buttons on your printer's control panel to print a nozzle check.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by RH (2/19/09 4:05 PM) reply + / -
Unfortuantly i have also tried this, i have also completed a head cleaning serveral times

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by kenken (2/19/09 5:24 PM) reply + / -
The printer may act strangely if it hasn't been used for some time. Remove its software completely,and re-install it afresh.

Also, go to Disk utility and have it repair the computer's permissions. This is a longshot, but you must try everything.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by RH (2/20/09 6:06 AM) reply + / -
i have completly re-installed the driver, i have also attached the printer to a competly new computer and it still does not print, the paper goes through the printer, but no ink comes out, i have tried everything, including ordering new ink, could it be the hardware within the printer ?

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by kenken (2/20/09 7:57 AM) reply + / -
Seems most likely. New cartridges, software re-installed, drivers up-to-date...Can't think of another solution. Unless the cartridge is a dud. New cartridges also have to be initialized by the pprinter.This usually involves the printer printing a sheet to test the catridge. if this initialization process is interrupted, the printer may continue to spew out half-printed sheets.

Make sure that the cartridge is connected securely in it its slot. Unless it is making proper contact, the printer will not print.
I guess you will have to repeat the suggested procedures and keep your fingers crossed.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by Anonymous (2/20/09 1:45 PM) reply + / -
i have tried about 3 sets of new cartridges, i have no idea what to do now, is there anything i can physically do to it to get it to work maybe, it will only be thrown out otherwise

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by kenken (2/20/09 4:35 PM) reply + / -
Here are some suggestions I copied from the internet:
Is it on-line?  Most printers have and on-line LED and button or the equivalent.  The computer cannot communicate or send stuff to a printer that is not on-line; i.e., not connected to the cable between the printer and computer, and that is what "on-line" literally means.  Again, I have gone to customer.

Make sure that the print heads are clean.

Do you have the correct cable?  Many printers now require an IEEE 1284 and Bi-Directional.  USB cables shouldn't be longer than 15 feet.
16.  Is the cable good?  Check for bent pins.  Try another cable.
17.  Is it connected properly?  Screw the PC end down and latch the Centronics end at the printer.
18.  Is there something else connected to the printer port?  Disconnect it and uninstall the device drivers for it.
19. Does the printer port have a software security device on it?  These devices attach to the printer port and the printer cable attaches to the device.  They can break.  Try printing without it.

.HERE'S A TEST YOU CAN TRY: On most Epson Printers you can usually run an "Internal Epson Self-Test Page" to determine whether a problem comes from the printer itself or possibly from your Computer System. Of course if there are actually any Red Error Lights/Leds, already showing on your printer, that would indicate that there is already a problem in your printer. Not all Epson Printers are always the same, but the following information applies to most models. If this self-test does not actually work on your particular printer, then you should refer to your "User's Manual/Owners Manual" for the correct procedure on how to run your printers self-test page. First unhook/unplug the printer cable from the back or side of the printer. Leave the power cord still plugged in to the wall and leave the paper loaded, as normal. Turn the printer off for 10 seconds or so, to clear out any remaining DATA or Information that may still have been in the printers system, from when the computer was previously connected. Normally [on most models] you turn the printer off and then you simply reach over and hold-in on the Paper Button, while you reach over and turn the Power Button back on, as normal. Continue to hold in on the paper button for about 3 to 5 seconds, but release the power button after turning your printer on. Release the paper button once you can hear and see the printer starting to initialize and start to pull-in a piece of paper. The printer will normally print out the Internal Epson Self-Test Copy, which will also have a Nozzle Test on it. If that test fails, or cannot actually be ran because the "Red Error Lights" come on, then you know that there is an actual problem in the printer. Depending on the combination of which lights are on SOLID, or FLASHING or OFF, will actually indicate the possible Service Error Condition. ON THE OTHER HAND: If everything is working correctly in the printers Paper Feed Assembly, Carriage Assembly/Cartridge Assembly and the Printhead Assembly, then the self-test copy should be printed out and correctly fed thru the printer. If the self-test page prints out correctly and the nozzle test looks ok, then that indicates that your printer thinks it is working normally [as far as the self-test goes]. This does not mean your printer may not be dirty, or have another service related problem, or possibly even nearly empty ink cartridges. If your printer is working ok, then your problem could be in your Computer System/PC: bad drivers, bad printer cable, bad software, incorrect internal PC settings, possible hardware/parts problems, possible virus, etc...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Try taking the cartridge out, put your finger over the hole where the ink comes out of the cartridge, and give it a really good shake and put it back in.

If your computer is a PC, go to http://www.zaperrors.com (PC Repair. Epson Support Guide)
There is a free download tool that might be of help.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by mtoolmn (4/17/09 8:28 AM) reply + / -
Epson print photo well......... but too dark. Tried all the print controls and computer software adjustments I can find but no change in the print darkness.

Anyone have a solution. Hate to get rid of this unit..........

Thanx.......

Re: Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by Anonymous (5/11/09 4:26 PM) reply + / -
Do you have the instructions for removing the print head?

Thanks Dave

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by Anonymous (7/16/09 10:20 AM) reply + / -
I'm no expert, but I've made our office Epsons last longer than they should have. We abuse these machines. I'll admit that. But we also know that they'll work beyond their service life.

If you have the R300 model, you can use the hold POWER-MAINTENANCE-STOP for 10-12 seconds. That clears the waste ink counter.

But the R340 does not have that internal function. You'll need to download it from Epson, and it will only work once the printer has stopped. Here's the file:

ftp://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson12462.exe

Fixes it, then the SCC can clear away the count and help for future use.

Happy Printing!
Amy

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by Scotland1 (10/10/09 9:26 AM) reply + / -
My Epson R340 will no longer feed paper through.

My daughter pulled the paper out when the loading mechanism was feeding it in to the printer and now it will now longer feed any paper through at all?.

Is this fixable by me?

Hope you can help guys?....

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by sp1068 (1/31/10 7:29 PM) reply + / -
Printer,upon power on,goes through it's initialization sequence. Then after a second or so,it makes a fairly loud "bang",like gears jumping time,and it comes up "error". It'll do this time after time. But I can let it sit for weeks,months,and try it again,and it works fine. Then it'll do it again eventually. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 ink pad reset utility by Jameson Burt (10/11/10 8:57 PM) reply + / -
The following resets the printer, removing the printer locking message
... X Error
... Service Required
From Epson.com own website, but in the difficult to find location,
... http://
www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Storesupport/InkPadsForm.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

The first line of this webpage says
... Epson Ink Pads Reset Utility
and the titlebar at the webrowser's very top says
... Epson Ink Pads Info

While this gets your printer working again,
ink pads in the bottom of your printer were white when new,
have now become black.
You risk ink further rising in the base of your printer.

I took some high quality Viva paper towels,
shoved them straight in the back (there's a long narrow slot with black inkpads below and to the right of this slot)
... single screwed small opening
and shoved a short rolled towel in with a 1/4

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by GivensDH (11/26/10 8:27 PM) reply + / -
I've been getting a message "A printer error occurred. Please see your manual."

This information makes sense, perhaps the sensors and the used ink wells are all filled up. I do a lot of printing, but the description to find a little tube doesn't fit what I found. There are not white ink absorbers, they're all black. I clean out what I could reach with out totally disassembling my printer...that's tomorrow's job.

Whenever I start up the printer, it runs through its normal cycles of cleaning the heads, etc. and then just as it seems ready to print, it screeches to a halt. And, that's after I've cleaned out a good bit of old ink.

Now what do I do. The last six times I restarted the machine it told me I was out of another color of ink. I knew I was low on two inks, but not all six. Well, I replaced them all one by one with hopes that each new cartridge would have changed its mood.

It is still screeching and I've lost $50 worth of ink!

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by john kiruja (5/10/11 3:34 AM) reply + / -
please call me on +254729883192 and i will give you the instructions.best regards.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo R340 by sandpalace (11/26/14 3:11 PM) reply + / -
HOW DOES ONE BYPASS THE ERROR FOR INK OUT. I ONLY NEED TO USE BLACK AND THAT IS WHAT I USE, SO DON'T KNOW HOW THE 2 CAYENNE'S ARE RUNNING OUT, AND I CAN'T BUY ALL THAT INK WHEN ONLY NEED BLACK. I HAVE TRIED EERYTHING. THERE IS NO OPTION IN PREFERENCES TO BYPASS THIS ERROR. DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW? THANK YOU

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters