fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved!

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Rob M (5/25/07 7:45 PM) reply + / -
I wandered over to the Lexmark Indonesia web site to find out why my X3470 would keep saying 'cover open'. The site said 'lever arm of cover sensor has fallen off'.

AHA! with the scanner part taken off the top, and the grayish plastic bit unscrewed and popped off, there is a white nylon lever arm that should be seen sticking up thru a rectangular hole...roughly about 1/2" to the right of the printhead behind it. This lever arm clips onto a microswitch/sensor (the lid switch). I just popped the white nylon bit back on and presto, it's fixed. Mine had popped off and was way deep down in the bowels of the printer.

This sensor is mounted on the circuit board about midway across, and you can see it if you look straight down, through the hole in the black plastic shrouding that covers the circuit board.

It might be possible to snap the part back on without partial disassembly, or simply shove something in there to hold the sensor in the 'closed' possition (If you lose a finger or two using this method, don't blame me).

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Anonymous (6/3/07 3:13 PM) reply + / -
How do you get the scanner part off?

mine has cover open error message

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by moe (edited 6/3/07 3:38 PM) reply + / -
That was posted on another thread by Rob M. Why on earth no one uses the site search engine is beyond me! If a woman with her little boy can do it, I would think anyone can. Read the thread! http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/46998#16

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Anonymous (8/7/07 5:11 PM) reply + / -
Dude you are a genius!! Thanks a million for your detailed instructions. I looked everywhere for a switch of some sort, in all the wrong places of course. Just wanted to let you know that I was able to solve that problem also. Of course, the little "rod" on the inside of the lever arm broke off...so I taped it (duct tape of course) to close the switch and voila it works. You have to pull the cartridge manually to change but at least it prints. Well, thanks again to Rob M!!!

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by anonymous (8/8/07 3:29 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much Rob for sharing your solution, I was getting fed up trying to figure out what was going on with my printer!!Thanks to you , It ended up being easier than I thought,It took me less than 20 min and I didn't break anything!! You saved me money too , I was going to buy another printer!! (not a lexmark)lol :)
Anyway thanks alot!!

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solv by jj_jjj_jj (12/8/07 9:13 PM) reply + / -
thx mate ,cut an eraser to fit and badabing badaboom fixed.

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Anonymous (12/16/07 6:58 PM) reply + / -
Nice work Rob! That was my problem as well. Step for step. Thanks for your research.

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Lisap (1/16/08 4:51 PM) reply + / -
How do I get the 'scanner part off'? Do you have a picture of where this magic white level is?

Lexmark told me it was defective yesterday....and offered me a discount on another one. I'd love to fix it myself if possible.

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by perrin (2/1/08 9:23 PM) reply + / -
Thankyou friend,
I was beginning to think I was a real dummy, even with your desciptive instruction, anyway after location the mini switch
and fiddling with the white lever it eventually clipped in.
And yes it it working again.
Perrin in Australia

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Anonymous (4/30/08 12:05 PM) reply + / -
I called Lexmark and they said they would ship me a new one within 4 to 5 business days at no additional charge!!! After several weeks trying to fix it myself... I should have called them right away.

Re: Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: by LisaP (4/30/08 2:26 PM) reply + / -
Yes, but were you still under warranty?

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solv by Anonymous (5/23/08 4:22 AM) reply + / -
I am extremely fustrated at the fact that I cannot see where the lever may have broken off. Where is the circuit board, and the rectangular hole & such. This is really confusing, I need someone to go step by step with me. Please && thank you.

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Anonymous (8/10/08 1:39 PM) reply + / -
what grayish plastic are you talking about i just slid off the top of scanner and the exposed part where you lay the paper to be scanned on does not have screws in it. i have only used this prnter a very short whild bummed cause it is messing up thanks for your help

Re: Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by moe (8/10/08 1:57 PM) reply + / -
Why don't you read the whole thread???

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solv by Thombose (9/10/08 9:38 AM) reply + / -
Well, scanner is off, gray cover is off, I've found the microswitch (the little black button, on which you can push :p )...but no sign of a yellow lever...should it be lying on the floor?because he has bene transported a few times.. and that may be lost)...i do see some white things next to the switchboard, (left of it) with a cable attached to it (a flat one)..but no sign aof a lever...the damn thing can't exacape I think, there are no holes in it.. :) plz advise

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Anonymous (1/17/09 6:02 AM) reply + / -
thanks for advice we put a pen lid in and it worked a treat!!!

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Mmann (6/21/09 4:00 PM) reply + / -
If you have trouble finding the lever like i did.. it's not in the front of the printer, near the gray lever that you latches to hold the lid (which is where i kept looking) it's in the very back of the printer by the big circuit board, it's actually BEHIND the circuit board... here is a sight that has a picture of exactly where it is.. Good luck!

http://www.fixya.com/uploads/Images/DC8E21D.jpg

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Anonymous (8/6/09 5:50 PM) reply + / -
Right on Man (:

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by topo59 (9/11/09 12:51 PM) reply + / -
Great - thanks - but it took several hours to pull apart, find plastic part, figure out exact installation, reconnect wires, test, one wire to scanner popped off while putting plastic gray part on that fits under scanner board, reconnect that wire, test again but now it works. Thanks

Re: Mystery of Lexmark 3400 Cover Open Error: Solved! by Lydia56 (11/7/09 5:10 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so much, that PICTURE was so helpful.
I had the small white lever,I new that is the problem, I opened it completly but could not locate where the lever belongs. I did it now, and it is printing agin.

Thanks again.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters