LaserJas

asked Mar 22, 2007 at 8:00am
Hp HP Color LaserJet 3500

HP 3500 59.99 error

I have a 3500 in a sorry state

At the mo its saying 59.99 error, have replaced the dc controler, reseated the connections to it and checked the cables for breakages, replaced the sensor and still no joy.

Unfortuneatly 2 others have been here before me to this printer so I may be trying to fix a problem that has been created by others but have been met with innocent faces.

Any ideas????

Jay
P.S

When the printer is turned on it starts initalising (I'm a Brit) and starts to go through its checks, the motors start turning slowly and speed up then all comes to a standstill and the above error is displayed.
by LaserJas on Mar 22, 2007 at 8:18am Add comment
59.99 An error occurred in the secondary transfer engaging mechanism.

1. Faulty secondary transfer engagement sensor. Replace the secondary transfer engagement sensor.

2. Faulty secondary transfer engaging solenoid. Replace the secondary transfer engaging solenoid.

3. Faulty feed motor. Replace the feed motor.

4. Faulty DC controller PCB Action: Replace the DC controller PCB.
by Stephen on Mar 22, 2007 at 11:35am Add comment
hi, i replaced the dc board, still the error is there. where is the secondary transfer engaging mech, and the sensor. thanks and pls respond asap. - Anonymous
Just wanted to add to this, had this error too on a color LJ 3500. Happened on warmup before it started calibration would kick up 59.99 error on the display.

The first 2 items Stephen listed are on the Pickup/Feed Assm (3500/3550 part # RM1-0765-070CN). So I took it apart (not easy to get out either) & replaced the whole assm since I had one laying around which fixed the problem.
by Sharpie on May 12, 2008 at 7:47am Add comment
by unknown on Jan 15, 2009 at 9:03pm Add comment
the pickup/feed assy needs replacing, see sharpies post above.
by laserphil on Nov 11, 2009 at 12:22am Add comment
thanks for the quick response. gonna get down to it. - Anonymous
I have the same error. Ordering the pickup assy today. I'll let yo know if it fixed mine as well.
by rtiql8nyj on May 6, 2010 at 5:03pm Add comment
Happy I no longer get any of these. Not an easy job to replace that feed unit.
by dmzcompute on May 7, 2010 at 8:07pm Add comment
Just fixed one of them without changing any parts. The cause is the secondary transfer solenoid on the paper pickup assembly. There are 3 solenoids on the printer. 2 of them have foam on them that doesn't deteriorate. For whatever retarded reason HP has for using the crap foam that does deteriorate, they stuck it on the secondary transfer solenoid. It is not an easy task. You definitely need the service manual. I printed it out and as I disassembled it, I put the parts and screws on the sheet designating its removal. Then I reversed the order. In the front right corner of the pickup assy., don't remove the 2 screws in the metal, take out the 2 in the plastic. To reinstall, put the front end under the plastic assy. at the back of the printer and then wiggle it until it falls into place. Do put a thin piece of stick backed felt on the solenoid as you do not want to tear it apart a second time.
I fixed 2 of them this week, so the first one wasn't a fluke. There are a few ridiculous fixes on the HP forum, fixya and helpowl that involve blowing air and spraying electronics cleaner. Doing a rain dance would work just as well.
by moe on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:01am Add comment
Wow!!! you are a genius moe. I did what you discribed above and I was able to fix my printer.
Thank you so much!!!

Best Regards,
Alfredo.
by unknown on Jan 3, 2015 at 9:18am Add comment
I just wanted to add to this topic that the SOLUTION is posted by MOE. Thanx!
by unknown on Mar 16, 2015 at 5:53am Add comment
Please Help me !

the first time i switch solenoids, and also made an insulation for it, because the foam was totally plain, it didnt work

the second time (now) im re-making the insulation for solenoid and also put electronic cleaner on paper sensor (it might be ok, because its says when paper tray 2 its empty or have paper) but either way i thinking about switch too with the other. what do you think?

Is very urgent for me to repair this printer. i will be in troubles if i dont.

Thanks !

xoxo C. Elena
by cael on Mar 24, 2015 at 8:41pm Add comment
I just used Moe's fix on my 3700 Color Laserjet

I think the raindance was the clincher (jokes)

Seriously tho - that worn piece of rubber must cause the solenoid to short out when it pulls the latch in. It must get to the point where the latch actually touches the solenoid.

I might be wrong, but seems to be the only explanation for that perished out rubber to cause this fault.

Mine was causing some intermittent paper feeding issues too that I'm hoping will be resolved now.
by unknown on Jul 10, 2015 at 2:13am Add comment
Hi, i have the 3 selonoids out of the printer i have them in front of me all of 03 have rubbers the first time i saw signs of it like very old and rests of foam.... please explain me very detail what i have to do its the 4th time i disamble it, i put new rubbers in a manner to say.. but i dont know what moe s call reverse de order, and sparkerz i dont get what point did you mean... HELP i have hope in you guys - cael
Reverse the order means you put it back together opposite the way you took it apart. You only need to put new felt on the secondary transfer solenoid. If I remember correctly, it is the one at the back. The other 2 are OK because they use different foam that doesn't deteriorate. The reason it has the problem is that the deteriorated foam will cause the plate to stick to it. When it gets hot during operation, the stickiness gets worse. This allows it to keep running instead of stopping when the plate is supposed to release and it trips the 59.99 error. I use a thin piece of felt with a sticky back. You can find it at a hardware store. They use it on the bottom of chair legs I think.
by moe on Jul 13, 2015 at 11:21am Add comment
on first hand i wanna thank you moe for answer, as you say the foam was sticky, i clean it and put the felt, but here is the but.... after all that error 59.99 continues... sensors are ok i checked it, motor is ok too, im getting out of ideas... if you know something that i could do, please write me.

thanks a lot - cael
That's all the advice I have, other than replacing the unit. I don't know why you would do that because with the unit you get new solenoids and as far as I know they are the cause of the problem. Every time I've had the error, it has always worked after I refelted the secondary transfer solenoid. I never bothered with the other 2 as the foam on those were OK.
by moe on Jul 14, 2015 at 8:54pm Add comment