fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

canon mp160 ink level

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

canon mp160 ink level by hoodsmom (2/19/07 11:35 AM) reply+2 + / -
Hi.

I've been printing in black for quite awhile with my canon mp 160 even though my black ink level was supposed to have been low. Yesterday the color ink level went abruptly from at least half full to nearly empty even though I had done almost no color printing. This makes me think that the sensors in my printer (this one does use an optical sensor, right?) might be screwy. The printer is less than 6 months old.

Is there some way to tell whether the ink cartridges really are low, short of buying new cartridges?

Re: canon mp160 ink level by dxg0072001 (6/21/07 10:55 PM) reply + / -
Hi, i'm facing the same problems with my MP160. The black ink cartridge showed a low-level even though it was half-full just 2 days ago, and i didn't print anything. Did u manage to find a work around to this problem?

Re: canon mp160 ink level by dxg0072001 (6/21/07 10:55 PM) reply + / -
Hi, i'm facing the same problems with my MP160. The black ink cartridge showed a low-level even though it was half-full just 2 days ago, and i didn't print anything. Did u manage to find a work around to this problem?

Re: canon mp160 ink level by nhoc_canon (6/22/07 9:47 PM) reply + / -
i thinks.
In service mode.
Put Stop/reset 4 times orange => reset waste ink.
Put stop/reset 8 times orange => set level ink.

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by BanBanBan (7/17/07 10:11 PM) reply + / -
Hey, Thank you for your advice. I try follow your instruction. It work!!

"Put stop/reset 8 times orange => set level ink." This isn't set level but it disable ink check. The LED warning still blink but no error code appear anymore. I don't sure that doing this will break guarantee or not but I don't care, I use ink tank anyway.

Thank you again for your kindness.

Ban

Re: canon mp160 ink level by ress (7/27/07 8:41 AM) reply + / -
how to enter service mode??

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (8/4/07 1:25 AM) reply + / -
how 2 enter a service mode

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (8/13/07 2:56 AM) reply + / -
hi Guys,

I am in Australia and I have one of the MP160's.

The ink ran out, so I had the cartridge refilled. Now I need to reset the settings so the printer program does not think the cartridge is empty, just like you guys above.

When I hit the Service Mode button, it has 9 different settings each time I this the button (letters displayed on the front)
A
H
Y
P
U
L
b
J

Which letter do I leave it on?

And do I then push the Stop/Reset button?

Your help would be appreciated.

(btw my wife is 39 weeks pregnant and she was this printer to work so she can send our colour prints of our baby thank you cards)

Re: canon mp160 ink level by passer_by (8/14/07 8:31 AM) reply + / -
hi all...i am new in this waste ink resetting thing.....my i255 juz died on my 2 weeks ago and bought a new mp160.......my i255 printhead died when i was trying to solve the waste ink tank full problem and did not relise its the programming part of the printer that will solve the problem thought it was the hard ware part....juz trying to be self prepared here b4 my new mp160 has the waste ink thing come out....so may i know which alphablet to chose in the mantainece? so after getting that alphablet in the 7 segment LCD then i press stop/reset 4 times to reset the waste ink tank counter rite?

many tks for anwsers and replies

Re: canon mp160 ink level by jsilva (8/16/07 5:35 PM) reply + / -
Hi people.

I have the same question:

When I hit the Service Mode button, it has 9 different settings each time I this the button (letters displayed on the front)
A
H
Y
P
U
L
b
J

Which letter do I leave it on?

And do I then push the Stop/Reset button?

Thanks for any help.

Jomar Silva.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Danny_079 (10/5/07 1:01 AM) reply + / -
Yeah right...How do I enter in service mode? no one knows the answer...lol...then this is not a real solution...

Re: canon mp160 ink level by grumnut (10/18/07 11:18 PM) reply + / -
I found this:
http://au.answers.yahoo.com

Also if you are using the Refilable ink cartiages stop they always cause major issues I own a computer and been into computer repair and consulting for 13years I see problems all the time with the refilable cartiages.

1) With the printer powered off but connected to a power source, press the Power button while pressing and holding
the Stop/ Reset button.
2) When the Power is lit, press the Stop/Reset button two times while pressing and holding the Power button.
3) When releasing the Power button and the Stop / Reset button (regardless of order), the printer will move into a
service mode. (Waiting for menu selection)
4) When the on/off lights in green, press the Stop/Reset button the specified number of time(s) according to the
function listed in the table below.(Each time the Stop/Reset button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in
orange and green, starting with orange.)note: press 4 times for waste ink counter reset.

The number of the Reset
button pressing
LED Function Remarks
0 time Green Power off

1 time Orange Service pattern print
2 times Green EEPROM print
3 times Orange EEPROM reset
4 times Green Waste ink counter reset

5) Turn off the printer.( it must be turn off)
then turn it on again.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (12/2/07 2:35 PM) reply + / -
this is what was sent to me by canon but it didnt work with my printer maybe you can have better luck
Thank you for your inquiry concerning your PIXMA MP160. We value you as
a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We
regret to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with the ink
levels in your PIXMA MP160.

This message may be resolved by resetting the unit. Please follow these
steps:

1. With the printer powered on, open the cover. The ink will move to
the left hand side.

2. Push down on the end of the black cartridge. A clicking noise will
be heard.

3. Slide the cartridge out of the holder towards you.

4. Push down on the end of the color cartridge. A clicking noise will
be heard.

5. Slide the cartridge out of the holder towards you.

6. Once both cartridges are removed, unplug the power to the printer
(without turning it off).

7. Reconnect the power cord.

8. Turn on the printer.

9. Open the cover. The carriage that holds the ink will move to the
left hand side.

10. Make sure the orange cap is off of the bottom of the black
cartridge.

11. Place the black cartridge in the bottom of the printer.

12. Slide the black cartridge back until is cannot go back any further.

13. Push up on the end of the black cartridge, a clicking noise should
be heard.

14. Make sure the orange cap is off of the bottom of the color
cartridge.

15. Place the color cartridge in the bottom of the printer.

16 Slide the color cartridge back until is cannot go back any further.

17. Push up on the end of the color cartridge, a clicking noise should
be heard.

Please note that the color cartridge will stick out further than the
black cartridge.

Close the cover. The printer should make some noise for a few moments,
and then return to standby.

If the message persists, to clear the low ink warning message, press and
hold down the button for at five seconds, and then release
it. This will disable the ink detection until that cartridge has been
replaced.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your
PIXMA MP160.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Thomas
Technical Support Representative

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by Alshere (1/21/08 2:08 PM) reply + / -
Hi, to continue using the printer with a refilled cartridge all you need to do is once you send a job to print a dialogue box will come up saying the cartridge is empty. To continue using the printer press and hold the resume/reset button for five seconds. You actually need to do this for 10 seconds. Once you release the button the orange light will cease flashing and it will take a few more seconds for the first page to come out. You will need to do this for both cartridges if they have been refilled or anytime you remove and replace a refilled cartridge. Hope this helps

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (2/19/08 8:11 AM) reply + / -
How do you get to the service mode?

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (4/1/08 7:38 AM) reply + / -
ink not recognized

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (5/12/08 12:57 PM) reply + / -
Can you simplify this procedure. It doesn't seem to work for me. I must be misunderstanding what your saying.

Thanks

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (5/26/08 11:04 AM) reply + / -
This worked for me on MP160 after refilling cartridges.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by printer006 (8/14/08 11:37 AM) reply + / -
omg....if that was a canon rep who actually wrote that message on the fix...he or she needs some more training...they wrote "If the message persists, to clear the low ink warning message, press and
hold down the button for at five seconds, and then release
it. This will disable the ink detection until that cartridge has been
replaced." and yet fail to describe what "the" button is...totally useless help!!! there are 9 (nine) buttons on my printer, don't know about your guys printers....but this was not helpful for me.

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (9/10/08 3:55 PM) reply + / -
were can i get the ink refill

INK LEVEL MP 160 LIGHTS ON by LewyLewis (9/23/08 6:57 PM) reply + / -
The two Black and Color Ink orange lights are on after refilling ink what do I have to do to reset the lights.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (10/28/08 6:51 PM) reply + / -
how do you clean the ink absorber on a Canon MP160?

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (2/14/09 7:04 AM) reply + / -
to clean ur printer..

go to start > printers/faxingmachines > right click on ur printer name > properties > maintance... and there u'll find the cleaning options

about the E5 issue... i entered service mode by:
1) With the printer powered off but connected to a power source, press the Power button while pressing and holding
the Stop/ Reset button.
2) When the Power is lit, press the Stop/Reset button two times while pressing and holding the Power button.
3) When releasing the Power button and the Stop / Reset button (regardless of order), the printer will move into a

pressed the stop/refresh button 4 times after i got in the service mode... but i still got the E5 error

can someone tell me if i'm doing something wrong?

Re: canon mp160 ink level by darkpwca (4/17/09 1:13 AM) reply + / -
My Canon Pixma MP160 does not go into "service mode" whatsoever as described above (and on several other websites).

Any advice?

Re: canon mp160 ink level by VXR10 (edited 4/17/09 4:00 AM) reply + / -
darkpwca may be you have another error?
Write down quantity the LED lights or error code:
A) E5, E6 or E4 - it is cartridges error - to fix press the "stop\reset" button for 5-7 sec. and then release
it.

B) E27 - it is code for reset absorber (EEPROM reset or Waste
ink counter reset) and follow the described below
procedure:

the Stop/ Reset button.
4) When the on/off lights in green, press the Stop/Reset button the specified number of time(s) according to the
function listed in the table below.(Each time the Stop/Reset button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in
orange and green, starting with orange.)note: press 4 times for waste ink counter reset.

The number of the Reset
button pressing
LED Function Remarks
0 time Green Power off

1 time Orange Service pattern print
2 times Green EEPROM print
3 times Orange EEPROM reset
4 times Green Waste ink counter reset

5) Turn off the printer.( it must be turn off)
then turn it on again.

Only in B) case you can enter into "service mode", in A) case or if have e.g. paper jam, or another error you CAN'T enter
the "service mode"
Try it

Anonymous see A) case: E5, E6 or E4 - it is cartridges error - to fix press the "stop\reset" button for 5-7 sec. and then release
it.

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by darkpwca (4/17/09 10:35 AM) reply + / -
Thank you for your quick response. But this appears to be the same answer as previously mentioned on this thread and others.

I am 100% confident that I know that the error message is "E27" because that's what the printer says.

The point is - this whole "hold the power button down, etc." doesn't work because all that does is turn the printer on and turn the printer off. There is no such thing as "service mode" as far as I can see yet.

I was hoping someone might know a more traditional way to enter service mode on this printer (i.e. accessing it from my computer). Also, my printer has a "maintenance" button (which just has a small graphic of a wrench and a screwdriver above it), but pushing that also does nothing.

Thanks.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by VXR10 (edited 4/18/09 3:10 AM) reply + / -
darkpwca :
1) you haven't got I meant - I wrote about pressing "stop\reset" button
for 5-7 sec. but not - power button
2) there is no "traditional way to enter service mode on this printer (i.e. accessing it from my computer)"

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by darkpwca (4/18/09 1:25 PM) reply + / -
Thank you, again. I think I got it. This is what is confusing:
the Stop/ Reset button.

For me, it worked when I did this:
1) With the printer powered off but connected to a power source, press and hold the Stop/Reset button for 4-5 seconds.
2) Without letting go of the Stop/Reset button, press and hold the Power button. Then, press the Stop/Reset button two times without letting go of the Power button.

That might not make better sense to anyone but me, but that's what I finally did to get it to work, so maybe that will help anyone else having the same problem.

Thanks!

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by darkpwca (4/18/09 1:53 PM) reply + / -
Unfortunately, I think my printer is dead. Even after finally getting it into service mode and pressing buttons some more, the error continues and I cannot print. So I think it's just time for a new one - this one has lasted me several years and was pretty cheap, so it's really not a big deal.

Too much trying to do it myself fixing probably isn't worth it :)

Re: canon mp160 ink level by VXR10 (4/22/09 12:25 AM) reply + / -
May be you have right :(((

Re: Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (5/13/09 4:31 AM) reply + / -
Thanks! Your way worked to reset my ink. :-)

Re: canon mp160 ink level by sirine (7/7/09 1:29 AM) reply + / -
For me, it worked when I did this:
1) (Press and hold the stop/reset button) AND (Press and hold the power button using another finger) Then (release the stop/reset button) Then (press the stop/reset button x 2) ---- {the power button is always pressed}...

2) until you see the power button not blinking anymore- release all button.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by StephenK (7/12/09 1:33 AM) reply + / -
I tried every steps above. But, I still get E5 on my MP160.
Any advise??

Re: canon mp160 E23 error code by Printer Guy (8/3/09 7:20 AM) reply + / -
Hi there

Could somebody help me with this code.

Thank you

Re: canon mp160 E23 error code by Printer Guy (8/3/09 7:20 AM) reply + / -
Hi there

Could somebody help me with this code.

Thank you

Re: canon mp160 ink got mad??? by MP 160.....:( ???? (9/30/09 8:22 AM) reply + / -
Hi to all,

My Canon Pixma MP 160 is not printing the right colors. All the collors are being printed as pink...Actually the only collors printed are yellow,pink and black!!! I want the blue back...
What should i do?

If anyone can help i'll be waiting.

Thanks!

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (12/16/09 4:43 AM) reply + / -
problem still remains E5 error and color ink flashing

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (1/2/10 4:07 AM) reply + / -
put the wrong code many time.broke it.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by tumacho (1/16/10 9:41 AM) reply + / -
this printer sucks, i go with hp

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (1/22/10 4:20 AM) reply + / -
worst I have ever seen, always the same problems with Canon and their machines. Avoid and boycot this company!

Re: canon mp160 ink level by villapilates (5/10/10 10:28 AM) reply + / -
The green light flashes, Alarm flashes orange, E 27 blinks, the menu button does not function, pressing of and holding the stop/reset the times/ways suggested above does not work, opening the cover does not get the cartridges moving, I use only Canon Pixma cartridges. Does Canon Support know how to get this thing functioning?

Re: Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by Anonymous (5/14/10 10:06 AM) reply + / -
I used the steps written by darkpwca on 4/18/09 at 1:25pm and it worked. I can't beleive this is what you have to do, but it worked so use that method.

Re: canon mp160 ink level reset by bluekiwi (5/14/10 9:28 PM) reply + / -
I just refilled the color ink on my mp160. I can get the printer into the service mode all right, however, it does not reset the level. I have tried everything listed on this forum, pressed stop/reset button 4 times and also 8 times. Have tried the mptool, it resets it within the program but not according to my printer, do not know if doing right. Help
thanks

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by fredbear (8/12/10 12:10 PM) reply + / -
Fantastic! This Worked for me.
I have a Canon Pixma MP160. After Re-filling a Cartridge, the printer showed an Error Code (E4-No Ink). Printer On Screen Info; Printer Functions Refused with (Cancel Print Job + No Ink)
Press; Stop/Reset button 4 times to clear Waste Ink.
Press; Stop/Reset button 8 times to Re-set Ink Levels.
Note;
By Pressing the On/Off button in the same numbers also works.
Fantastic!!
Impressed

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Grosser (8/31/10 1:26 AM) reply + / -
God Canon Printers suck, even after i spent my money buying new cartridges the printer refuses to work. because the i haven't used to black cartrige for a moth and now i get the stupid E6 >.<

Re: Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by ibleedart (9/4/10 9:38 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much for this! :) All these responses and yours was the one that made sense and worked! :) Thanks again!

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Menandro de Leon (9/14/10 10:08 AM) reply + / -
This is more comprehensive..

1. Turn off the printer (but make sure power cable is plugged in wall outlet).
2. Press and hold down the Stop/Reset button
3. While holding the Stop/Reset button, press and hold down Power button.
4. While holding down the Power button, release the Stop/Reset button.
5. While still holding the Power button, press the Stop/Reset button twice.
6. Now release the Power button.. (wait until it display "service mode")
7. Press the Stop/Reset button (4 times to clear waste ink; 8times to reset ink level)
8. Turn off the printer

When you turn on the printer, it will work again.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by ftmfg (11/2/10 12:07 PM) reply + / -
Make sure the contact points are nice and clean! I used a q-tip with rubbing alcohol.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by tay ah kiow (3/6/11 1:36 AM) reply + / -
i still cannot reset the ink absorbent , E27, with the help of the above, the green light does not changed to orange when i pressed the reset/stop button and the display show only 0 with each time i pressed, alarm light light up alternately, please help. thanks

Re: canon mp160 ink level by LLafon (3/20/11 10:27 PM) reply + / -
For resetting the Canon MP160 when you get the message 27, that the ink absorber is full...Here are the exact directions that I used, and it worked:
1 Turn off printer
2 Press and hold the reset button and the on/off button at the same time.
3 Keep your finger on the on/off button, but lift your finger off of the reset button
4. While still holding the on/off button, press and release the reset button 2 times.
5. release both buttons.
6. A zero should display on the number screen. This is service mode.
7. Now press and release the reset button 4 times. This will tell the printer to reset the ink absorber.
8. Turn the printer off and then back off and let everything reset.
It should now work.

Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by TMAC (5/9/11 4:07 AM) reply + / -
This worked for me for which much thanks!

I'm just wondering now does that mean my ink absorber will overflow some day?!!

Re: Re: Re: canon mp160 ink level by purpplevicki (5/22/11 3:59 PM) reply + / -
I watched you tube videos, and read tons of people's horrible answers....and then, HALLELUJAH~!, I found your simple AND EFFECTIVE response~! It worked the first try! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was trying to figure out how to get this job application finished without my printer! You saved the day! Maybe the year! LOL

This wasn't the thread from the original search, but I did want to recognize you for your help!

Re: canon mp160 ink level by heuristic (6/10/11 12:32 AM) reply + / -
the last few technique make more sense than the first ones but heck still with the same problem.

one more thing, I have to turn off by pressing twice off is that normal.

Re: canon mp160 ink level by delight (11/3/11 7:00 PM) reply + / -
VXR10 you are a genius!
I've been trying to re-set my printer all this ding-dong-day-long. Thanks tons

Re: canon mp160 ink level by delight (edited 11/3/11 7:04 PM) reply + / -

Re: canon mp160 ink level by WKN (12/11/12 8:23 AM) reply + / -
I bought this Fucking damn Canon MP160 and it's pretty much clear to me that Canon SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: canon mp160 ink level by Debu (4/17/14 10:43 AM) reply + / -
1. Turn off the printer (but make sure power cable is plugged in wall outlet).
2. Press and hold down the Stop/Reset button
3. While holding the Stop/Reset button, press and hold down Power button.
4. While holding down the Power button, release the Stop/Reset button.
5. While still holding the Power button, press the Stop/Reset button twice.
6. Now release the Power button.. (wait until it display "service mode")
7. Press the Stop/Reset button (4 times to clear waste ink; 8times to reset ink level)
8. Turn off the printer
>>> In ser 8, How to turn off printer because I have to click ON/OFF button 3 (thrice) times to power off when in "service mode".

Yellow led still glows and Ink status in PC still shows low.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters