fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by lovetosave (2/8/07 11:16 AM) reply + / -
ok, I've had this printer for 1 year and 2 months now ( you would know warranty just expired!) LOL

Anyway, its a HP Photosmart All in One 2610 . All of a sudden the error I'm getting is this --beeping sounds --" Remove and check Cartridge on Right" ok, I've removed it, hubby has cleaned it, etc... still nothing fixed. What are your suggestions?

Thank you very much, in advance :) I just can't see paying 34.00 for HP to help me troubleshoot :(

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Stephen (2/8/07 7:50 PM) reply + / -
Have you tried a different cartridge? (even an old empty one)

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by lovetosave (2/9/07 9:59 AM) reply + / -
No I haven't tried a different cartridge... but I will try and see if we have another one to try... does it have to be black or can it be a tri color,etc??

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by kitkat (2/21/07 2:08 PM) reply + / -
Have you solved this problem ?
I have the same problem.
I have tried the old cartridge and the problem still occurs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by steve2610 (2/21/07 3:11 PM) reply + / -
Add me to the list. I have a 2610 giving me the same error. The old 96 black ink cartridge ran out and I tried to replace it. Any help would be wonderful! I'll let you know if I figure something out with more research.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by steve2610 (2/21/07 4:46 PM) reply + / -
Okay, I just chatted with HP for over an hour trying to fix this. The summation is they said it's junk and I have to get a new one. I'd recommend you go to HP's website and participate in their online chat and see if you get better results (and a different tech helper). Here's how to chat:

1. Go to http://www.hp.com/
2. Click "Customer Service" at very bottom footer of page
3. Click "Chat with an online support technician after you buy" link
4. Click "Printing and Multifunction"
5. Click "Multifunction and All-in-One"
6. Click "HP Photosmart All-in-One Products"
7. Click "HP Photosmart 2600 All-in-One series"
8. Click "HP Photosmart 2610 All-in-One"
9. Enter your information and click connect!

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU LEARN ANYTHING!! I'd love to fix mine rather than buy a new one. And my new one probably won't be HP. I have computer friends who say HP is junk - mainly the software - and I have had some problems with the software.

Good luck!

Steve

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Stephen (2/21/07 5:09 PM) reply + / -
Inspect the plastic sheet with contacts on it where the cartridge plugs in.

Seems that a spring wire in the carriage pops out of place and puts a hole in the plastic which damages the wiring.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by smking139 (2/27/07 3:41 PM) reply + / -
Hey guys...

STEPHEN's last post is exactly right... I was given a 2610 with the same problem.

The spring wire "pops out" because the plastic guide broke off... I Super-Glued that guy... so that spring is solid now.

However... to fix the "plastic/mylar sheet"... I need to get the entire top section (scanner et al) off. I've found one screw (near the left support) but that didn't release the top.

Does anyone know how to get this thing off?? I've been googling the last 4-5 days... so damn frustrating!!!!

If you have disassembly instructions... email me directly at smking139@hotmail.com... I don't check here often.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Anonymous (2/28/07 6:48 PM) reply + / -
I have the 2610 also, and was getting the same message. sure enough, the spring on the right was out of place and has since put a hole in the plastic sheet in the back!

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by mcprinter (3/4/07 10:28 AM) reply + / -
I am a printer tech and looking at a friend's 2610.
The plastic which holds the springs had snapped.
I drilled a small hole and used a small cable tie to secure the the spring. Worked very well.

Only then did I notice the hole in the ink cartridge connector. (plastic sheet with contacts on it where the cartridge plugs in)

This is NOT fixable as there are fine circuit tracks on the plastic.

Looks like a design fault to me.

The part does not appear to be available according to Partsurfer.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Anonymous (3/7/07 10:46 PM) reply + / -
The same thing happened to me! I replaced the cartridge and got the error. I removed the cartridge and noticed the wire clip was loose. I looked at the flex cable and it has holes! This is so frustrating. I think this is a design error as well.

Any idea on how to contact the correct person about this?

Thanks!
Bruce

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by mcprinter (3/8/07 3:12 AM) reply + / -
Start with the place you bought it from.

I have just posted this about an Officejet 7310 (same inside)
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/44890#3

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by jamewoong (5/31/07 12:19 PM) reply + / -
Any news on how to fix this?

I've purchased this printer a year ago but don't use it. Now, I decide to throw my old printer and use this one, but after isntalling everything, I got the message "Remove Cartridge Error". I check the date in the cartridge and it's expired in 2006!

It is the cause? If yes, then how to fix it?

Thank you.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by SKJ88 (6/8/07 9:07 PM) reply + / -
I've been dealing with the cartridge error issue for the past week. When I started having problems I had a color HP cartridge that I refilled and a generic black I got from shop4tech.com. I bought the overpriced HP 96 & 97 cartridges and all errors are gone and it prints fine. There is definitely something that makes this printer act stupid. I am not one for conspiracy theories, but I think HP does have something that makes the printer reject non-HP cartridges so they can make more money off everyone. This morning I had the printer working fine when I replaced the refill color cartridge mentioned above with another brand new generic and it printed fine. Then all of a sudden it stopped and nothing I could do to make it print. I put the new HP manufactured cartridges in and everything's fine. Something is definitely up. I will not buy an HP printer again.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by h20 (6/28/07 2:43 PM) reply + / -
Just had the same problem this week but instead of the right, the left one gets the error messages (instantly just after I finished print job so I knew I did nothing wrong.) Called HP support and sent me article about cleaning cartridges and contacts but I suspect that error was due to the cartridge expiry even though it is not even half-empty yet.

Found this on the net re: HP's ingenuity:
http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/letters/hpPrinters.php
http://constitutionalcode.blogspot.com

Now does anyone know how to disassemble this 2610?

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by tinytimm (9/7/07 6:43 PM) reply + / -
I have done everything the company said to do. I bought mine at Best Buy and I am about to throw it out the window. I have replace the cartridge with a brand new one and I still have this error. I have since unplugged my machine but I need it for my college classes. This has to be a major flaw and the company better fix it fast. I have written to them and called them without an answer. please e-mail me if you can help me.....

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by coach11 (9/7/07 8:44 PM) reply+1 + / -
lights flashing. unplugged unit but did not help HELP?? how do I open side unit to get to cartridge?? thank you.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by lmatson (9/25/07 8:32 PM) reply+1 + / -
THANKS to folks troubleshooting this problem. After an annoying hour with tech support only to be told I needed to buy a new printer from them, I found your website...looked at the "spring", and noticed it wasn't staying in place. I found some super glue, waited for it to dry & it WORKS! YEAH!!! Money saved and a good printer (well, okay at least a working printer), didn't end up junked just because of one broken spring.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by anonymous (9/30/07 11:14 AM) reply + / -
Same problem, same solution. A little super glue to the spring and seems to be working fine for the first hour. I had the same experience with HP support. They tried to sell me another printer for more than I could find it online. In fact, the online tech support person closed the chat window on me. I was livid and called their support phone number and the person tranferred me to a department that was closed. Sorry HP, you can no longer be trusted.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by anonymous (9/30/07 11:50 AM) reply + / -
For those of you who don't understand the spring problem you need to remove your ink cartridges and compare the empty comparments that normally holds them. There is a long rigid metal 'spring' (or could be called a wire) that dangles in the middle of each compartment apparently meant to hold the cartridge up. The spring is held and supported by grooves and a tiny piece of typical low quality HP plastic on the right plastic wall of the compartment. If one of the tiny poor HP quality plastic pieces that holds the spring to the wall brakes off like mine did (which I found sitting at the bottom of the printer) then the wall will lose it's grip on the spring and will hang lower than it should, which may be causing the error. The trick is to simply put the the spring back to its proper position along the right wall somehow. I simply had to push the spring up a little back into the proper position, superglued it to the wall, let it sit a while, replaced the cartridges and it worked great! BUT, is seems there are others on this thread where the spring has caused damage to other parts of the printer, so becareful!

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by mcprinter (9/30/07 1:13 PM) reply + / -
Someone has got their out of warranty printer replaced by HP that had the same problem.
The 7310/7410 uses the same carriage (ink cartridge holder) as the 2610 and a lot of other HP machines.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913#1

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by smking139 (9/30/07 1:30 PM) reply + / -
Hi...

A friend gave me his broken 2610... as "anonymous" said, the spring holder broke and I SuperGlue'd it back into place... NO PROBLEM!!

However, my friend (probably) tried to re-seat the black ink a few times and ended up pushing the spring backwards and THROUGH the thin mylar ribbon cable (white) tearing 3 of the traces.

So... SuperGlue works well but also check for tears/holes in the mylar. HP does NOT sell internal parts... they WILL provide a refurbished unit (not cheap... about $120-150).

Steve

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by Anonymous (10/2/07 5:29 PM) reply + / -
Is there any way to fix the small holes this causes?

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by smking139 (10/2/07 5:59 PM) reply + / -
Hi out there...

I fixed mine... it was not quick... nor easy... and I ended up putting in back together and pulling it down 3-4 times before I got it ALL to work (I had 3 traces punctured).

Basically I pulled the entire top... turned the mylar inside out and soldered thin (printer-circuit board) wires to the top gold "buttons"... and ran the wires down to the bottom and punctured the mylar (from the back) using the end of the PCB wire to make contact with the ink cartridge (mylar was too thin for solder heat). I scotch-tapes the (resulting) 3-4" PCB wires to the mylar to keep them in place.

I made a WORD document but... need to find it and... have no idea how to upload an attachment to this forum.

Steve

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by Anonymous (10/11/07 3:12 PM) reply + / -
im getting this same messege, except there arent any holes or anything like that. it looks like there isnt anything wrong.
also the spring wire as always looked like that in my printer, and it works fine.
i just got this right after my printer printed a couple of pages for me.
soo any ideas of what i can do?

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by Bert (10/11/07 7:42 PM) reply + / -
If you have not already, clean the electrical contacts on the cartridges and carriage with a cotton swab and alcohol.

Don't discount the possibility of a defective cartridge.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Law (11/15/07 10:59 AM) reply + / -
Wow. Is this piss-poor design or what? I see that I have the spring problem and have punctured the contact strip on the cartridge holder. So, what, that's it? Dead printer - thank you very much HP?

This has got to warrant a product recall.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by mcprinter (11/15/07 12:47 PM) reply + / -
Law,

Did you read this?
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913#1

Some users have had their printers replaced.

Re: Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Okie (11/24/07 7:44 PM) reply + / -
Hello, last night I read your story about repairing your 2610, so this morning I started on mine, mine had 4 of the smallest traces broken, I just sat a long time looking at the tiny traces, I then decided to cut out the bad spot, and ran 4 small pcs of wire about the size of a peace of hair, drilled a #80 hole in the little bumps that touches the ink tank, drilling in from the back, put the tiny wire up through the hole and just put enough solder on to hold it and still have nice round bumps.
I then separated the wires and taped them to the back with schotch tape so they didn't touch, then soldered them to the same place the traces were soldered, cleaned it and covered this with tape.
This may sound easy, but its not, I had to use 10x eye loabs to see to solder the tiny wires, and it took around four and ahalf hours,
This was all well worth it, after everything was back together and pluged in, then holding my breath when I pushed the on button, put in the ink tanks and waited, and it worked like it did when it was new, and I also liked this printer, so it was worth it Thanks Okie

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by TheBigBoss (12/12/07 7:53 PM) reply + / -
Who ever has repaired the puntures themselves please email a DIY (Do It Yourself) procedure with photos and labeling step by step what do do... Please email me at thebigboss729@yahoo.com I want to try and fix it myself, since it's my only choice of right now...

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Anonymous (5/17/08 10:54 AM) reply + / -
Hi folks,

It looks like this problem applies to the 2710 also.

That's why I'm posting to this thread so that future viewers can see that the Spring Problem (best described in the 9/30/07 mails) also affects the 2710. I've got a loose spring on the right hand cartidge, with a bit of the retaining clip in the bottom of the printer - I'm going to try the superglue fix.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Anonymous (5/17/08 11:12 AM) reply + / -

Hold on that last mail.

When I put a torch on it, then guess what, I've got at best a depression, at worst a crack or puncture across the bottom right hand side of the contact strip, running through most of the traces. Will try the superglue anyway, but this looks fatal.

OK it's 3 yrs old and it's on my business, so it's fully written down, but hey, I've just bought a twin pack each of black and colour cartridges, that's the bummer.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Eric Shore (9/24/08 8:44 PM) reply + / -
I thank you for all posting on this problem...Believe me, HP is going to hear from me tomorrow! I am the publisher of the Miami News newspaper...I own dozens of HP products, in printers, from this 2610 to the Laserjet 5000, 4500, and the 8000Dn series. I have never had problems with HP stuff before, that they at least bent over backwards to come to a fair resolution. But times have changed! Same as you guys, (design flaw) out of warranty, and shove it down the dumpster. No way. In the morning I'm using all your advice and yelling good. I've never threatened bad press in my 40 year career, but I might in the morning. I've never seen anything like this from HP. I recently also had their Photosmart camera, the one that looks like a film 35mm SLR. Broke! HP was still selling them on their web site online store, but said they had no unit (either refirbs), and there was no repair and no parts available. For an IN warranty camera still being offered on the market!!! Wish me luck. If anyone know a simple way to jump the busted cable, for a not so skilled solderer, let me know. I hate throwing a nice machine down the chut just because of a ribbon cable. And they don[t have that part available either!
Eric A. Shore
Publisher
The Miami News
emaiL EricShore@aol.com
or
MiamiDailyNews@aol.com
(305) 206-9490
PS Any idea on what to ask for in trade? My 2610 also has the photo feeder option tray...will it fit another model????

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Eric Shore (9/25/08 11:07 AM) reply + / -
Well folks, make a long story as short as possible. Did the rounds as some of have written about here in the forum...The Photosmart 2610 tension wire on the black ink side coming loose about one cartridge use and punching a hole in the ribbon cable.
According to Julie, Case Manager at HP, they have no documented cases of this happening, that it is not a design flaw, but user damage (for the most part). In a letter to their corporate offices I referenced this forum link, and as she said she had yet seen the letter, in her conversation, she mention the site. Liar! Even after telling stories about how I'm getting ready to replace 23 HP Vectra VL6s, and guess I'll be looking at some IBMs, didn't phase her. Guess I have to just do what one of their reps told me earlier, slide it down the dumpster chute. At least with our IBM Thinkpads, 57 of them, IBM has every part in stock right down to the screws, and if you have a problem, they send DHL out with a box and prepaid label...Put the Thinkpad in the box and 2-3 days later, you have a fixed unit or a refurb! Didn't phase her. Told her I'd be writing up the incident in my tech section next issue...What she doesn't know is that my stories many times go up to Ansley Minor at CNET. Could be a $350 issue that will haunt them. I plan to reference the case numbers found here, and on other sites directly related to the Photosmart 2610s to prove the reverse-point that there have been 'no reports' of design defects or problems with millions of 2610s (says Julie)!
Oh well, not worth waisting more time on a $350 printer while I have to put a new fuser unit in out HP 4500DN Laser Color...maybe I should offer it cheap on eBay!
Eric Shore
Miami News

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Eric Shore (9/25/08 11:31 AM) reply + / -
Just another HP note...Not related to printers.
I a brand new HP D80 Photosmart digital camera. Went bad, still under warranty! No repair, no parts, no refurbs, even while it was still being advertised on HP Onlines web site. We got it, being news guys, because the D80 looked like a 35mm film SLR, especially in interview arenas. Would look stupid standing at an interview with a box small digital camera in hand. We wanted the same D80 model for that reason...No go. Finally after 12 phone calls, they sent me the R818 at a replacement...Little silver boxy camera...just another HP story in the new age!
Let them look up that return to validate it, as well. It was amazing...could repair it, there were no part available, yet still in warranty and being sold....I give up! Now have some nice high end Canon D30 and Rebel XTI digitals. They're not Mickey Mouse!

Eric Shore

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by EricShore (9/30/08 1:27 PM) reply + / -
Well...My faith in HP has been restored. I relayed I was having the same problem as written about here with the Photosmart 2610, and the tension wire on the black cartridge side coming loose and puncturing the ink ribbon cable.
I was not having much success with possibly getting a refurb (of any unit) with Customer Service, Tech Support, or the Case Manager (julie)...Was looking a the boxes for the machine just this morning, wondering when I would work up the guts to actually slide it down the dumpster chute, when a call came from Customer Service manager Jeff in Denver...

Long conversation short (covered just about both our lives, very nice fellow)... HP will take care of the problem!
Than's the HP I've grown up with and love!

In my newspaper, and at home, everything is HP (except for our IBM Thinkpads) and have always sworn by them. Didn't expect the call this time, but should have known that HP ultimately tries not to undo many years of great customer service. Guess these days you just have to make some extra phone calls. Thanks HP (Jeff)...

Eric Shore
Publisher
The Miami News

Re: Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge by Eric Shore (10/8/08 9:29 AM) reply + / -
Maybe I have to retract my retract on HP finally offering to take care of the 2610 problem. Was ready to toss it when a week later, I got a call from Jeff from HP Denver,CO...His first comment was "How can we satisfy you?" After an hour of talk, I thought we were in agreement on them replacing the printer. After he requested that I fax him a copy of the letter I sent to their corporate offices, never heard anything again, and have not received even a refurb....Possibly, the hour conversation was just lip service since they were talking to a media outlet...Let your know....AHYONE, know where to get the print head for the 2610...I dissembled the whole unit, the Mylar has three holes, and I'm an elefant with a soldering iron..Wouldn't even attempt trying to jump the trace holes!!!

Eric Shore
The miami News

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by e morrison (11/12/08 2:57 PM) reply + / -
Yup, same problem with mine HP said they know nothing about prior issues with it, and they sat silent on the other end of the phone. They SUCK! To flat out deny a design flaw, is just rediculous, border line criminal if you ask me. Throw the f'ing thing away, better yet throw it away and but any other product out there, never buy HP again, I know I won't and I will make it my lifes goal to discredit HP to everyone I know. I can only hope that some HP exec or Customer service people read this post and see what crappy products they put out!

Re: Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by Anonymous (4/3/09 3:37 AM) reply + / -
mcprinter can you reply to me seems like you know about these printers i am getting blinking lights a blue screen with error messages
error: 0x8876f7f6
1: 0??

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Yogizilla (4/9/09 12:43 PM) reply + / -
Well, you're not supposed to use third-party ink cartridges, at least not with HP products, because the genuine cartridges have print heads built into them (hence why they are much more expensive). If you keep refilling the same cartridge, you'll do more damage in the long run. Yes, accessories is where the money is but that applies to a lot of information and imaging systems, not just HP products.

The 2610 DOES seem to have some serious design flaws. I never noticed this in the previous generation of the Photosmart product line so it seems they may have cut some corners to make the price point more accessible/attractive to the masses. I'm an HP-certified printer tech and it seems that, once they're gone, they're gone.

Some simple solutions include...

* Use printer contact cleaner with a lint-free cloth to make sure all leads are making proper contact. DO NOT use qtips or tissue paper. Also avoid Windex and such like the plague - I can't tell you how many knuckleheads use these on LCD screens, printers, and other no-no areas.
* Inspect the carriage track for debris and possible obstructions. Usually, it's not a physical problem causing the carriage to get stuck but, if it is, you're in luck - easy fix!
* Check the cartridge loading springs for proper tension. They should both have equal tension and flexibility. If one of them feels off, that may be why your printer is misreporting the cartridge status.
* Use compressed air [sparingly] to clean out any particles that could cause further contact issues.
* Test the printer using old and new cartridges, even if they are empty. The printer should at least be able to detect the cartridge and report ink levels and such. If not, there's a problem with the contacts and/or cables. Again, there is no real fix for this unless you have a PCB machine of sorts laying at home.
* Check the separator pad and "spring board" mechanism. If this does not feed well, it could cause a misreported error. These parts are usually FRPs so that's the good news. The bad news is that you still may be better off buying a new printer.

I performed the above along with some other PM processes and got the printer to work briefly but, as many of you have indicated, once that mylar PCB/ribbon cable goes, you're pretty much done. It doesn't seem that this is a field-replaceable part since it's probably just cheaper to get a new printer.

HP is usually good about their customer satisfaction but you'll always get the script monkeys that will just go by the book and miss the point entirely. It's clear that the 2610 is not a true workhourse machine but, then again, it's meant to be a home user product and just barely makes the cut as a true SOHO product. I've always steered clear of any devices that use tension wires to keep things in place as that is just an accident waiting to happen. Perhaps part of it is user fault. It seems many of my clients that have had 2610 issues have been nervous, clumsy computer users. =oP

But I digress... Sorry you're all having trouble with your printers. I'm enjoying my F4280 but it's a budget printer and I'm sure it will die eventually on me. =oX

BTW, I worked for HP and I stand by their products but, sadly, their digital cameras are quite not up to par with Olympus, Canon, and Nikon, IMHO. Every vendor has their strengths and weaknesses. HP is certainly not flawless.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by pythan (5/30/09 7:05 AM) reply + / -
I too have the very same issue with the plastic not holding the spring and ripping the PCB traces. This is a manufacturing issue and I am not sure but I believe there is a 7 year window for "latent defects" that may allow us all to recover from HP. We just need a lawyer to have one go bad and get pissed off at HP's lack of being responsible.

Any takers?

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by pythan (5/30/09 7:08 AM) reply + / -
I too have the very same issue with the plastic not holding the spring and ripping the PCB traces. This is a manufacturing issue and I am not sure but I believe there is a 7 year window for "latent defects" that may allow us all to recover from HP. We just need a lawyer to have one go bad and get pissed off at HP's lack of being responsible.

Any takers?

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by deanc (6/1/09 1:14 PM) reply + / -
after reading all this I'm resigning to throw my hp in the trash can and never buying another one again. In todays economy it seems like they should try something like customer service.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Anonymous (7/10/09 6:35 AM) reply + / -
I've just junked my 2610. Same as everyone else, grey tab broke off, wire came loose, pushed against circuit board behind black cartridge, punctured it and clearly broke some circuit tracks.

I cable-tied the wire back in place but it was too late, the damage is done. 3 year old printer in the bin.

Thanks everyone for the tips on this board, you helped me diagnose the fault and attempt a fix, now at least I know what's wrong and can "happily" junk the printer knowing I have done all I can.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Stelios (7/10/09 2:06 PM) reply + / -
I have had the right cartridge error on a HP Officejet j5780

All models with the same cartridge holders have the same design flaw.

Under warranty I took mine to their handling agent who immediately said we have plenty like it, once verified we will send you a replacement printer

Excellent service NO
They sent me another with the same problem.

I hope the class law group gets a good hearing as they are seeking to force HP to withdraw all products with a similar design.

It will cost them the millions they saved by opting for reduced costs.

I am off to law and court to force a full refund if they do not give one under the lemon unfit for purpose consumer law.

Many countries have a small claims process as well for cases like this.

Join the club force a refund and junk HP forever

Re: Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Anonymous (8/16/09 4:49 PM) reply + / -
To the above poster(s?) considering legal action: Count me in! How can I help with this/get the ball rolling? I have an HP 2710 that has the same right cartridge error. As I have been very careful with my HP, I am certain it is NOT due to user error.

My washing machine repair guy just told me about how Maytag went bankrupt and was bought by Whirlpool...all because of a manufacturing defect they could have prevented by making it right in the first place, and/or repairing the machines of consumers who recieved the defective product. INSTEAD, they were bankrupted by a class action lawsuit, and had to sell to Whirlpool.

A cautionary tale for any HP customer service types reading this!

Who's with me? Reply to alvarez.rebecca@yahoo.com...and post your support here so that others know they are not alone.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Anonymous (8/26/09 6:53 PM) reply + / -
It just happened to me, too. Definitely a design flaw.

Yogizilla up there said that "it's meant to be a home user product and just barely makes the cut as a true SOHO product." - Well, even a home user product should still be usable after a printer cartridge replacement. Otherwise, it should have a note on the package: "Caution: Reconsider Before Changing the Printer Cartridge! It May Stop Working!"

He also said "Perhaps part of it is user fault. It seems many of my clients that have had 2610 issues have been nervous, clumsy computer users." I beg to differ again here. Although I am not a printer repair person, I work in IT and have changed more than enough of my fair share of printer cartridges to know that I am not nervous or clumsy!

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by ebauman (10/5/09 12:58 AM) reply + / -
I've had my 2610 for about 3 years with very little usage...probably 3 color and 2 black cartridges. My right cartridge spring broke loose as reported in numerous postings. I used a modified paper clip to hold it in place, but the error still persists. Close inspection of the flexible circuit board shows two punctures which unfortunately seem to be through the copper lines! I've yet to contact HP, but based on previous comments that avenue seems fruitless. This is an excellent printer/copier, with unfortunately with a serious design flaw!

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by javicho51 (10/21/09 3:08 PM) reply + / -
It just happened to me, too. Definitely a design flaw.
I too have the very same issue with the plastic not holding the spring and ripping the plastic sheet, with contacts on it where the cartridge plugs in, which damages the wiring.
Seems that a spring wire in the carriage pops out of place and puts a hole in.
any one, know where to get the print head for the 2610

thank you

javicho51

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by dwortham (10/30/09 10:11 AM) reply + / -
Hi All,

So much to read. I too am having the same issue. However, all looks good and do not seeing any spring or holes. I did get it work yesterday by installing an empty cartridge but when I reinstalled the refurbished unit again from Office Max that problem started again.

Can it be related to the ink that I saw below? Should I try buying an HP to see if the problem is resolved?

*The Fix For HP PSC 2510 And Other Similar...*
Good luck finding the Fix anywhere, even on HP's website...

THE FIX: I have a HP PSC2510, similar to all the other PCSs out there, and i was getting 'all-of-a-sudden' this message: 'ERROR-Remove and check color cartridge'. AND i did everything imaginable to fix except spend money.

Turns out that the 'color' cartridge was not really the whole issue. it turns out that HP hard-coded in an expiration date on my inks! uh, yaay HP... That's right, at exactly 4 years from the date on the cartridges everything stops printing period, end of story.

The reason my replacement of the 'color' cartridge did not work was because the same 'color' error keeps coming up until i replaced the old dated 'black' ink TOO. uh, yaay HP...

Boogles the mind, but you will keep getting 'color' errors until you replace all inks to be newer than 4 years from date on cartridges.

HP even made some Driver Patches to fix this expiration crap when
everyone was complaining about their plans for world-domination, but has since gone back to the tactics of forcing you to buy new inks.

So, Check your dates, use them or lose them HP consumers!

Cor'e=)

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Meister (11/5/09 7:46 AM) reply + / -
I have a Photosmart 2610 AIO, and am getting the same error. I've ALSO had the plastic support(?) snap off when replacing the cartridge - very gently!! Definite rethink by HP needed.

Just to recap, the message I get is: 'Insert black or photo print cartridge in right stall'.

Both the left and the right have cartridges in them, but because of the spring projected too far, and, damaged the circuit board the printer (after the 'beep,beep, beep') won't go any further.

I find that if I OMIT the cartridge from the RIGHT(black) stall and 'print' from the PC, the page is printed with an accompanying message 'Printing in backup mode' on the 'puter. I 'ok' this and off it goes.

So, although I can clearly see the 'punctured' PCB (after x5 mag)I can get by. But, I can't 'scan' or 'copy' of 'fax'...just print, using the colour cartridge only.

Someone, above, said something about re-joining (soldering) the circuit....??

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Anonymous (1/29/10 8:42 PM) reply + / -

The spring wire "pops out" because the plastic guide broke off... I Super-Glued that guy... so that spring is solid now.

However... to fix the "plastic/mylar sheet"... I need to get the entire top section (scanner et al) off. I've found one screw (near the left support) but that didn't release the top.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by mcprinter (1/30/10 3:42 AM) reply + / -
The mylar sheet has circuits running through it.
The spring goes through 2 or 3 circuits, this means the printer electronics cannot detect the cartridge properly and gives the error message.

A new mylar sheet or complete carriage is needed really.

If you still want to take it apart
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/46650#30

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by JKPel (2/5/10 2:55 PM) reply + / -
Just had the same problem, been screaming and shouting cursing HP's name for nearly an hour on a Friday night. My brain is in screaming pain over this.

Just superglued the spring. If it does or doesn't work, then count me in if you wanna bring some kind of legal action at f***ing HP for this. Bloody p*** takers for thinking they can push this junk onto the poor unknowing customer. We're just a small fraction of the people out there who have had the same murderous problem!!!

So contact me here or wherever if you wanna give it back to these asses. jason_perryman@hotmail.com

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by bltfry (2/17/10 6:29 PM) reply + / -
Just had this happen to me this week. Refilled an HP ink cartridge and the printer wouldn't recognize it in there with the subjected message. Bought a new HP cartridge, installed and got the same problem. Contacted HP through the web (online chat) and after 30-45 minutes was told by Sandy that it was a printer hardware problem and that it can be solved by a hardware upgrade...buy a new printer! She referred me to someone that would call me to talk about comparable printers at a deeply discounted price. John (from India) called and basically gave me 5 possible printers to choose from ($200-$300 each) and I needed to make a decision before hanging up the phone or lose the discount. I asked that I discuss it first with my husband when he came home from work (2.5 hrs) and he said he would call me back then. Thank goodness he didn't. I found your website and discovered the black cartridge wire was hanging from the right wall. Thankfully, it didn't puncture anything. I pushed the zigzag wire back onto the wall, slid in the cartridge and YEAH! I have a functional printer again. If John calls in a few days, I'll let him know about their hardware problem and it is now fixed with a tube of superglue...at a deep discount of about $200-300! Thank you, all!

HP Service ticket number 8035572045
HP Chat Activity ID 3392780

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by ORT/RQT Engineer (3/30/10 8:36 AM) reply + / -
Yes,

Ran into the same design flaw problems after operation/inspection. I looked into the internals and it is definitely a HP design fault. They cannot blame the consumer/user for breaks and faults in their engineering designs. HP requires consumers to replace the cartridges and should of designed a more robust or less susceptible to human error design.

I've been a Systems integrator Engineer for 10 years and followed that with 5 years of Reliability Engineering in Silicon Valley. I used to live right down the street from HP's HQ in Cupertino, CA. HP has pretty much lost all credibility in the printer market, designed

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by hlove (4/11/10 11:16 AM) reply + / -
We also encountered this problem, just this month, after about 2 years of the printer working very nicely. Is there actually any kind of recall, or is HP doing anything for anyone that doesn't cost lots of money? Our mylar is punctured too and I don't think I'd venture a try at repairing it.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by jbb (4/18/10 11:34 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the info. I have 2610 and just got this error yesterday. The plastic retaining tab is broken and the spring will not stay in place. Moving on to a new printer.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by Crummer (5/28/10 8:58 PM) reply + / -
Same sh*t different consumer ... Exactly the same phenomena. Bottom line ... buy new 2610 with every print cartridge requiring replacement ... Like installing a new toilet after every .....

Nice work HP. Never going to get my business again.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by poss (6/23/10 4:32 AM) reply + / -
I have a similar problem with the printer wanting me to check the color cartridge. I checked the spring and it's still in place, everything looks fine, and there are no holes in the ribbon that I can see. The cartridges are brand new, got them today, with a use by of 2012. Its so frustrating!! I'm at a total loss, as I needed the printer tonight. So, we wasted $50-something on ink and have to buy a new printer anyway. It will not be a HP.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by neverbuyHP (7/26/10 2:39 AM) reply + / -
same problem with HP 2610

going to make sure i get the word out about how HP could care less about their customers. online blog ;)

spring punctured a whole in the hardware that reads the ink cartridge

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by zmanstan (7/28/10 5:16 PM) reply + / -
Same problem as the others, tried new cartridge.....nope, cleaned contacts....nope, turn off/on unplugged.....nope. I then decided to clean the electronic tape wire that the cartridge assy. slides over with some alcohol and it worked the first time....at least for me.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by grn (8/6/10 8:28 PM) reply + / -
Same issue here with an officejet 7410. Spring broke loose and punctured the electronic ribbon. 100% design flaw! Along with the peice if junk wireless network card problem.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by satyadeep (10/9/10 12:29 PM) reply + / -
i had same problems no spring broken or ribbon peirced
replaced the cartridge with a new one and it is working fine
so there fore the cartridges are causing an error also

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by KEM (10/25/10 10:07 PM) reply + / -
FYI...If it is not the spring or ribbon...just a cartridge issue. Check the expiration, if its not expired or out of ink, HP will replace it for free, but you must return the defective cartridge!(Return kit provided by HP).

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by hpguy (11/25/10 4:40 AM) reply + / -
I also had the same problem. i already used the right hp catridge it still says the samething. How do i fix this? pls need help!

Re: Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Erro by game (11/25/10 4:46 AM) reply + / -
SUPER GLUE TA TA DAAAA!

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by hpusernomore (12/29/10 12:51 PM) reply + / -
Add me to the list. I suppose this would explain why I've had to spend hundreds of dollars in ink since i bought this...hp definitely owes us...has anyone in this thread NOT gone on a wild goose chasewith HP?!! I'll be buying my printers from Canon from now on. Today as a matter of fact, the latest Pixma.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by I H8 HP (1/6/11 9:59 AM) reply + / -
I got nothing but the run-around from HP. I don't have the spring issue, and I've tried everything from cleaning to resetting to reinstalling drivers to changing cartridges. Same error. I gave up last night and junked it, and bought an Epson. Never going to buy anything HP again.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by I H8 HP Too (3/14/11 5:12 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem. Spring broke loose, pierced the back, HP says they will happily upgrade me for $180.00 and not reimburse me for ink cartridges I just bought...which of course...none of their printers are compatible with anymore. Any word on someone recently getting resolution?

HP Photosmart 2710 Remove Right Cartridge Error by BrianATL (4/16/11 8:25 PM) reply + / -
Same problem on my 2710. If I didn't hate electronic waste so much, I would have just tossed it.

After hours with the spring, I did get it working but had to buy a new cartridge. I won't buy another HP printer or anything else going forward. I don't believe in brands who sell you crap that ends up in a landfill. Where can I get a printer built to last? With great quality, sustainability and durability in mind?

I also have another thing happening where the plastic tray under the cartridge area will not retract (go down) when I open the printer or try to change the cartridges. I figured out how to make it go down by unplugging and replugging the unit in. It is probably caused by another part or design flaw.

Needless to say, this is not the user experience I would expect from a company trying to compete.

Brian in Atlanta
@exprethink

Re: HP Photosmart 2710 Remove Right Cartridge Error by moe (4/16/11 8:38 PM) reply + / -
I just love all the people who'll never buy brand x,y or z ever again. Here's a cold dash of reality. All inkjet printers built today are considered disposable. They're mostly built in China. There are no replacement parts available. Their sole purpose is to build them as cheaply as possible so they can sell the ridiculously overpriced inks. Welcome to reality.

Class Action Lawsuit for Cartridges by BrianATL (4/16/11 9:04 PM) reply + / -
I just found out that we missed this lawsuit and 2710 and 2610 were part of it.

https://www.hplaserjetprintersettlement.com//Documents/HP%20LaserJet%2 0Settlement%20Detail%20Notice.pdf

Although, I don't know if I would use an e-credit since I am now anti-HP.

Re: Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by scherly (7/13/11 7:23 AM) reply + / -
Hello smking139,
did you get this word document finally? if so please email it to me
at infojob11@yahoo.com or info@compurepairandmore.com. I had the same spring problem that make hole on the mylar.
thanks.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by neenaz (10/29/11 1:31 AM) reply + / -
Okay, so I keep getting an error that tells me to replace the black or photo cartridge in the right. I have done it over and over with an HP cartridge, but it still won't recognize it. I think the springs look fine, but I found a small grey plastic piece in the bottom under the cartridges. Can someone send me a picture as to what the springs are supposed to look like? It is wound up and down and up and down on the right, but then on the left it's not connected. Is that how it's supposed to look?

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by reeder (2/2/13 12:27 PM) reply + / -
I just had this same problem, the small plastic piece was broken off on the black cartridge side which let the spring (or metal wire) pop out of position. I put the spring back into the correct position and found the small broken off plastic piece in the bottom of the printer, cleaned it off, glued it back into it's place using goop (super glue would work too), let it dry overnight. Inserted the ink cartridges back into the printer (really carefully)and it works fine now. The spring (or wire) did slightly puncture the plastic circuit board in the back but it was just off to the side of one of the copper circuit lines so I think I got lucky there.

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by simeo (2/13/13 9:19 AM) reply + / -
Found this somewhere on the net and it's almost worked. It prints off the test pages then reverts to the same old message. Getting there though!!

Perform a Partial Reset - unplug the printer, hold hash and 3.

then:

1 - While printer is on, go to the "Mfg Commands"
(on my printer I had to press "*" and "#", others would need to press both left and right arrows, etc.)
2 - You will get the following message "Enter special key combo", then enter "123".
3 - Press the right arrow until you find "Special Reports", click OK
4 - Press the right arrow until you find "Print Cartridges", click OK

Re: HP Photosmart 2610 Remove Right Cartridge Error by scott68 (6/14/13 4:29 PM) reply + / -
I got the same error. I replaced the Office Max knock-off ink cartridge with an HP ink cartridge and problem solved.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters