fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

BROTHER DCP 7020

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

BROTHER DCP 7020 by Jarred (1/5/07 8:28 AM) reply + / -
How do I reset the toner count for my cartridge. There is still ink in the cartridge. I want to bypass the message "toner life end".

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Jarred

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by frugalfinance (3/21/07 1:19 PM) reply + / -
I also have the problem with the page counter. I have plenty of toner , but I get the message that I am out of powder and I should put in a new cartridge . Please let me know of any work around the counter problem is there a way to reset.Please reply to the thread

Thanks

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (3/21/07 2:42 PM) reply + / -
Look at your toner cartridge. There is a white stud that is attached to a gear. On a brand new cartridge, this white stud is in the opposite position of the one you currently have. Its been awhile since i've had my hands on one of these - just find a way to manipulate it so that it is in the opposite position again and toner count will reset.

_Corsair_

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (3/22/07 6:25 AM) reply + / -
Thanks, I am not sure which stud as I did not see any studs attached to any gears. I took apart the gear system and noticed one little part with a felt washer attached. I turned it the other way but that didn't seem to help. Please try to be more specific if possible, it would be a great help, thanks

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (7/7/07 11:35 PM) reply + / -
open front cover, press options and start key.

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (1/24/08 1:08 PM) reply + / -
Thanks brother, it worked fine for me! I've been struggling with the printe the whole morning until I found your solution. Thanks again!

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Delivery (4/10/08 10:23 AM) reply + / -
I'm getting the "Toner Life End" message, however the steps to reset don't seem to work. I'm opening the toner front door, pressing OPTIONS button, then UP ARROW for YES. When I do this, it appears to be the YES reply to the REPLACED DRUM? question, but not for REPLACED TONER.

I keep getting the same results.

Is there a different way to reset this TONER LIFE END message??

...Mike

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (4/20/08 5:36 PM) reply + / -
mike, is your printer using the starter cartridge (the one that came with the printer)? from what i've read on other sites, it seems like the solutions above won't work because the "white stud" that corsair mentioned is missing - it's called a reset gear, and the usual reset methods seem to rely on it being there. manufacturers make the starter cartridges without them...probably to make sure we buy a second one for ridiculous amounts of money. you can buy the gear with a refill kit for a pretty reasonable price though.

one of the other sites suggested just unplugging and then replugging your printer, which seemed to work for a lot of people. just another option (although that didn't work for me either).

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous Tech Lady (4/23/08 9:38 AM) reply + / -
Thanks it worked. I just replaced that toner last week and I think I should get more than 10 pages printed...

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by CCAJRB (7/4/08 9:07 AM) reply + / -
HI , I HAD THE TONER LIFE END MESSAGE IN THE BROTHER DCP 7020 COPIER AND PRINTER ,Y DID ANYTHING AN DONT WORK .
I HAVE TO REPLACE THE CIRCUIT BOARD IN WICH IS CONECTED THE PARALEL PORT AN THE USB PORT AND WORKS , THAT PAR I TAK IT FROM ANOTHER PRINTER

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by ccajrb (7/11/08 8:42 AM) reply + / -
I'm getting the "Toner Life End" message, however the steps to reset don't seem to work. I'm opening the toner front door, pressing OPTIONS button, then UP ARROW for YES. When I do this, it appears to be the YES reply to the REPLACED DRUM? question, but not for REPLACED TONER.

y try changin the electronic board in which is the paralel port and usb port and works but that board whas from an old dcp 7020 and it works

IS THER ANY ONE WHO KNOW WHERE CAN I BOUGHT PARTS POR THIS PRINTER .. THANK´S

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (7/14/08 12:31 PM) reply + / -
Here is the solution that will reset the count and allow your fully functional toner cartridge (the one the printer tells you is empty) to continue to work.

Open the front cover.
Press options button.
Press the start button.
Press + or up arrow button 10 times.
Press set button.

You have to do this with a long pause or the system will reset and you will have to start over.

Good luck.

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (9/4/08 3:50 PM) reply + / -
What do u mean with a long pause?
i did the steps and it didn't work...

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by ccajrb (9/4/08 7:05 PM) reply + / -
HI ,, I HAVE 3 DCP 7020 WITH THE SAME TROUBLE AND I TRY WITH MANY THINGS I NEED TO LOCATE A DEALER WHO FOR SALE PARTS FOR THIS PRINTER , I SOME ONE KNOW PLEASE HELP

THANKS

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by RDA (9/17/08 8:50 AM) reply + / -
I just want to know how to replace the toner cartridge. Thanks!

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (9/29/08 1:55 PM) reply + / -
This worked for me! thanks.

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by cagbgb (12/3/08 5:34 AM) reply + / -
I have been struggling with this all morning until I read your instructions. It worked. I can not thank you enough!!! I can head out to my meeting now.

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by ccajrb (12/20/08 7:59 AM) reply + / -
Here is the solution that will reset the count and allow your fully functional toner cartridge (the one the printer tells you is empty) to continue to work.

Open the front cover.
Press options button.
Press the start button.
Press set button.

You have to do this with a long pause 2 seconds or 3 or the system will reset and you will have to start over.
this solution reset the cartridge and reset to cero copies an start fron the number one works !!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck.

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (2/13/09 10:21 PM) reply + / -
Thank you brother this solution absolutely working :)

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (4/3/09 7:43 AM) reply + / -
Thank you,Thank you, thank you....

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (5/22/09 6:45 PM) reply + / -
Sorry - I still don't understand:

Open the front cover.
Press options button.
Press the start button.
Press set button.

You have to do this with a long pause 2 seconds or 3 or the system will reset and you will have to start over.
this solution reset the cartridge and reset to cero copies an start fron the number one works !!!!!!!!!!!

When do you need to insert the long pause???

After pressing the options button, or after pressing the start button or between the 10 up arrow button presses or after the tenth up-arrow button push?

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (7/7/09 3:59 PM) reply + / -
worked for me !!! thanks!

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by nrhaml (7/31/09 5:51 PM) reply + / -
dcp7020 canon
it runs more pages than necessary. then it stops and gives a paper jam.
If I print 1 page, it runs another page thru like it is a 2 page print job. when the first page is done printing, it figures out their is extra paper half way thru the print cycle, then stops with a paper jam

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by ccajrb (8/1/09 6:33 AM) reply + / -
Hi ,, thank´s to all the techicians , that contribute to this forum with their solutions .

HI I HAVE A TROUBLE WITH MY DCP 7020 BROTHER COPIER AND PRINTER ,
I REPLACE THE CYLINDER ( NOT THE DRUM) BUT IT STILL SHOWS THE MESSAGE CHANGE DRUM SOON , IT´S WORKING GOOD , BUT I CAN´T ERASE THE MESSAGE , DOES ANY BODY KNOWS HOW ?.

AND ALSO , WHERE CAN I BUY GOOD CYLINDERS FOR THIS COPIER?

THANK´S

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (9/14/09 10:44 AM) reply + / -
I have tryed all of the above and still no luck
Does anyone know how to get the white tab to move without forcing it
b

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by mtcarboni (11/5/09 8:04 AM) reply + / -
Our Brother is having paper jams in the back. There is no visible obstruction. We have removed all the pieces but nothing seems to stop the accordian-like paper jams in the back.

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (11/27/09 6:43 AM) reply + / -
thanks a lot bro it worked for me u r great saved me some repair cost

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Black Staxxx (1/30/10 4:23 PM) reply + / -
Folks, it's as simple as this!!!

Purchase a new (if y'all need a few websites for good prices, jus holla at me).

When you receive your new cartridge, open the front part of the computerremove the CARTRIDGE/DRUM ASSEMBLY.

Carefully remove the old cartridge from the drum as you wouldn't want to damage the drum, unless if you have money to waste.

Attach the new cartridge to the drum (and please don't forget to remove the plastic protection cover on the new one!)

Put back the cartridge/drum assembly in your printer.

Unplug your printer power cord for 10 seconds and replug it.

Print something.

And you are good to go!

*****You guys can try the other solution mentioned earlier by pressing option and.... but try my step first. I tried the other solution but didn't give me anything useful. Not saying it won't work, just not for me.*******

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (2/17/10 5:43 AM) reply + / -
I also had the 'end of toner' message that wouldn't go away. Tried the reset/unplug suggestions and they did not work. What did work was resetting the white stud:

If you're looking at the toner cartridge with the word 'brother' right side up, on the left side is a white plastic piece (stud) set in a half circle. In my case, when looking directly at this piece, it was on the right side of the half circle.

Move this white plastic piece to the other side of the half circle (in my case, I moved it to the left). This is easier said than done and you may need a screwdriver or other tool to assist.
Once it finally 'snapped' over to the other side, the 'end of toner' message went away.

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anonymous (3/12/10 12:28 PM) reply + / -
I also had the 'end of toner' message that wouldn't go away. Tried the reset/unplug suggestions and they did not work. What did work was resetting the white stud:

If you're looking at the toner cartridge with the word 'brother' right side up, on the left side is a white plastic piece (stud) set in a half circle. In my case, when looking directly at this piece, it was on the right side of the half circle.

Move this white plastic piece to the other side of the half circle (in my case, I moved it to the left). This is easier said than done and you may need a screwdriver or other tool to assist.
Once it finally 'snapped' over to the other side, the 'end of toner' message went away.

--------------------------------------------------------

SWEET! Thanks for this info!
If you look inside the machine, you can see a white lever that is pushed by the white stud. If you have a starter cartridge, it doesn't have the reset gear in place. I just stuck something to the toner cartridge where the stud would be so that when it's inserted, it pushes that lever, and it worked!

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by bwkq (5/10/10 12:43 PM) reply + / -
Thank you, I was able to reset the toner by moving the white stud attached to the gear to the opposite position and the system reset itself, now I able to print again. And the open door to reset the drum count also worked. Thanks again.

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by jamminjman (6/5/10 5:55 PM) reply + / -
Gentlemen:

I need help in identifying a part that came out of my printer.
Its a spring about half inch tall a 3 mm wide. Along with it came out a black piece of plastic with "LM4357" engraved on it.
It doesnt seem like its broken - just out of its place.
And I have a lot of paper jam.
Please advise.

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by rttrembl (7/30/10 5:10 AM) reply + / -
I have tried the electronic methods of resetting the toner and drum, and the manual method of flipping the reset gear. The only thing that PARTIALLY works is flipping the reset gear back, however, I can only use the printer again for a maximum of 1-3 more pages, then I need to flip the reset gear again.

What is wrong, am I missing something?

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by TonyB. (8/1/10 8:18 PM) reply + / -
Regarding the error message on a Brother DCP 7020 printer/copier/scanner -

This is POSITIVELY the ONLY thing that worked for me!!!!

"I also had the 'end of toner' message that wouldn't go away. Tried the reset/unplug suggestions and they did not work. What did work was resetting the white stud:

Once it finally 'snapped' over to the other side, the 'end of toner' message went away.!!!"

On the inside left of the printer, (with the toner cartridge removed), there is a small, spring-loaded white lever. It MUST BE activated by the white "stud" on the new. aftermarket toner cartridge in order for the error message to go away and be reset, allowing you to resume printing.

I can't tell you how much time I spent looking to reset the error message. THIS is the only thing that worked!!!!!

Good luck to all!!!!!!!

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 TonyB was right by PokerPlane (8/27/10 7:05 PM) reply + / -
I used a screwdriver as TonyB suggested. Had to use a moderate amount of force. When you do it right, it makes a ratchet/clicking sound and the white "stud" moves to the left side of the half-circle.
And the toner end life message went away! Thanks everyone!

p.s. I tried the "electronic" method, but it didn't work. I still don't know which step the pause refers to.

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by amigoenvio (9/9/10 3:41 PM) reply + / -
I have the gear that moves the toner cilinder
on the printer broken
(may be the part refered before with the spring)
do you know where i can get it?

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Habitant (10/9/10 11:24 AM) reply + / -
I have problems with my Brother DCP 7020 paper jamming after only a few copies printed on a consistent basis. Does anyone have a solution?

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by StephenJC (10/15/10 12:01 PM) reply + / -
There are two rubber wheels above the paper tray that grab the paper. Get a damp, lint-free cloth. I added a bit of vinegar to mine. Clean the wheels. The wheels don't freely turn, so you will have to submit a job to the printer to have the wheel motors turn the wheels. Simply hold the cloth lightly against the wheels to clean. You may have to hit "start" a couple of times to get the job submitted again so you can get enough rotates of the wheel to get it clean.

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Anymous (11/4/10 6:06 AM) reply + / -
if you have started cartridge and you don't have that "white stud".

There are instruction how you can reset page counter:

1. Shut off printer
2. Open the front hatch
3. Take off black plastic part for the hatch and push it inside (it is on the left side of the harch). Take pen and push white plastic part inside (part is on the left from black part). Now printer thinks that the hatch is closed.
4. Take another pen and push another white plastic stick inside (this is part which "white stud" would be connected if it would be in the toner.)
5. Keep pushing with pens
6. Put on power
7. When drum begins to keep sound let go of "white stud stick"
8. Printer should't say any warning
9. Let go for the last white stick and connect the black plastic part to the hacth.
10. Close door

Now printer assume that toner have been changed.

This worked with my dcp-7010.

Sorry of my bad english.

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by usmoke2 (4/17/11 2:09 PM) reply + / -
mine keeps telling no cartridge and no matter what i do it keeps telling the same thing any advice?

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by slm esq (8/25/11 4:30 PM) reply + / -
I got the “toner end life” message on my Brother DCP 7020 printer-copier-scanner. Cosair is correct. I reset the white tab, the message went away and the machine worked again! Here’s a little more detail on locating and resetting the tab. The white tab sits in a half-circle channel molded in one of the black plastic end caps on the cartridge. To reset it you have to unscrew three phillips head screws and pull the end cap away from the cartridge exposing a set of white plastic gears. The white tab is part of a larger plastic piece which has a short geared section. All of the other gears are attached to the body of the cartridge and do not come loose when the cap is taken off. The tab/gear piece, however, pivots on a post molded into the inside of the cap, and can be freely slid on and off this post. Once the cap is off it is easy to reposition the piece on the post, so the tab is at the opposite end of the circular channel. Holding the tab piece in this position put the end cap back on the end of the cartridge and its geared part meshes with the other gears. Screw the three screws back in, put the cartridge back in the machine, turn it on, and if your problem was my problem, it should be solved. None of the other solutions mentioned above worked for me. I can also confirm, as mentioned above, that the starter cartridge that came with the machine does not have the white tab piece, but does have the channel for it, apparently to make it impossible to add toner to the original cartridge.

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by lukeskywalker (11/6/11 3:19 AM) reply + / -
thanks dude!
It works for my printer :-)

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Snowbound (1/14/12 6:59 AM) reply + / -
Completing this sequence ( hit the + button ten times ) reset the drum life to 100%. This eliminated the TONER LIFE END error message. Worked like a charm...thanks.

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 pause? by Parachelsus (1/23/12 9:32 AM) reply + / -
As others have asked, can someone please clarify where the pause is supposed to happen in the sequence?

To follow the instructions in the order given, it sounds like you pause while you are holding down the start button for 2 or 3 seconds, but I did this and it didn't work...?

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by jimb o (2/1/12 2:13 PM) reply + / -
Replaced toner and couldn't close front panel. Found a small plastic part loose on the bottom of the printer - number LM4357 - can anyone tell me where it goes????

Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by Gerakk (11/14/12 5:56 PM) reply + / -
I have this dcp 7020 and whenever i try to print something, the unit restarts. what is the problem of my unit? please help me. thanks and advance.

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by nopatience (5/19/14 7:17 AM) reply + / -
thanks...this fixed my problem!!!!

Re: Re: BROTHER DCP 7020 by nopatience (5/19/14 7:20 AM) reply + / -
mine worked too!!! thanks for the great tip

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters