fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Print Driver Unknown Error

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Print Driver Unknown Error by dannie12 (12/17/06 4:49 PM) reply + / -
My HP deskjet 5440 just stopped working the other day. I have windows XP. It detects this new hardware but then gives a message stating "There was a problem installing this hardware, an error occured during installation of this device, The print driver is unkown". I went to a HP site an did a check for this device and it stated all software and drivers are up to date. I did try and reload the driver from the site and a CD but still no luck. When I got the printer all I had to do was plug it in and it worked. Can anyone provide any help??

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Sri Ram Kishore.S (12/18/06 6:49 AM) reply+1 + / -
Resolution for “Cannot Install this hardware, Printer Driver Unknown”

Install the S/W first – Do Not Plug the USB cable
After completing the S/W installation, Click Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG
Click on the Services Tab
Put a check mark on “Hide All Microsoft Services”
Then Click on “Disable All” on the same screen
Click Apply, Ok, Restart
Restart the computer
Now connect the USB cable, should install fine from there
Go back to MSCONFIG and on the general tab select “Normal Start Up”
Restart the computer, try to print. . .

Rationale : This problem could be because of a Non Microsoft service influencing the Plug and play service, thus having some negative impact on it.

Ultimately this results improper USB enumeration and unsuccessful driver installation.

Please let me know if any issue gets resolved using the above mentioned steps.

Thanks and Regards,
Sri Răm Kishore.S.

Re: Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (12/19/06 7:29 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for your proposed fix for this problem. Yesterday I suddenly encountered the same exact problem with my HP Photosmart 7850, running Windows XP. I have been searching for help and I tried your fix. But now I am getting a new error message: After making the changes to MSCONFIG, rebooting, and reconnecting the USB cable, the computer once again finds the printer but still cannot install it. The new error message is "The RPC server is unavailable." Any ideas on what to try next?

P.S. I recently downloaded a bunch of AOL security software updates. Maybe this could be causing the problem??

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Melissa

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by chetan (12/19/06 8:27 PM) reply + / -
guys a success full solution for this issue has a success rate of 90%

cause of this issue is recent update of aol safety and security software

go ahead unplug the usb cable

now open add remove programs click remove on aol uninstaller
it will show u alist of aol programs to uninstall select aol safety and security software
and uninstall it ... after that . restart computer ... after computer restarts go ahead and connect usb cabel ur printer will be found and installed and u can printer later on u can install aol safety and sequrity using ur aol cd... good luck

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by chetan (12/19/06 8:33 PM) reply + / -
melissa what u can try is go back do ms config normal start up with all services on ... then try above method it will work sure shot for u

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by rjmmjm (12/19/06 9:37 PM) reply + / -
Chetan - Thank you! This worked. The new question is - dare I reinstall my AOL Safety & Security software? I downloaded it and I do not have the CD...

P.S. If I knew of another free, comprehensive, better tool for safety and security I would dump AOL!!!

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by moe (12/19/06 11:06 PM) reply + / -
I regularly clean computers of viruses and spyware. The most seriously infected computers have Norton and AOL security software installed. They are 2 of the most useless programs out there. Norton is a virus itself. A real nasty one that is very difficult to remove from computers. More difficult than the real viruses it is supposed to stop. There are a lot of free programs out there. http://ewido.net has a good program AWG available. It's a 30 day free trial. Then you delete it and download it again. http://housecall.antivirus.com offers free spyware/virus checks. You can use it regularly to check your computer. Run it at night. Best way to keep the nasties out is to be careful where you go on the internet and what emails you open. If an email has an attachment, delete the damn thing!
From experience, AOL security is a placebo. You wouldn't notice a damn thing whether or not you had it installed. Actually, AOL is probably the worst internet provider out there. You can throw a dart at a list of ISPs and anyone it hit would be better.

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by rajesh kurma (12/25/06 12:17 AM) reply + / -
I am the person experiencing this issue from many days I get the error message as " printer driver unknown" whil I try to install the softwre for my All-in-One .I have tried the solution to uninstall the aol software and then i have installed the All-in-One printer software it has worked for me but when I have reinstalled the aol the issue reoccured .My question is how to come across this issue keeping the aol installed in my computer.

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (12/25/06 2:44 AM) reply + / -
fellows,
get rid of the aol stuff! S/W is very bad. Lot of trouble by everyone i know.

If you need a free virusdetection s/w that scans email also go to http://www.avast.com/ and download the free 4home edition. Register for free updates. No spam etc. will be send. Daily fast update possible. Even for those with a 56k telmodem!

No more trouble with installation of drivers and hardware anymore!

Tip: And if it finds a virus choose always let avast delete it.

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by harikumar (12/26/06 6:05 AM) reply + / -
Step 1
=====
Uninstallation of AOl software on your computer
==============================

Click Start > Control Panel > Add/remove programs.
Under Currently installed programs >> click AOL® UNINSTALLER >> Change/Remove
CHANGE/REMOVE button.
In the AOL® Uninstaller window
click the box next to AOL ANTIVIRUS, AOL SPYWARE PROTECTION, AOL FIREWALL to place a check mark in it,
then click the UNINSTALL button.
In the Confirm Install window, click the YES button.
Click the AOL SAFETY AND SECURITY CENTER box to place a check mark in it, then click the
UNINSTALL button. Click the YES button, then restart your computer when
prompted.

Step 2
=====
If the issue is not resolved with the above steps .
Perform the following steps
Install the Software first – Do Not Plug the USB cable when prompted continue the installation by selecting the option "connect the device later".
After completing the S/W installation, Click Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG.
Click on the Services Tab.
Put a check mark on “Hide All Microsoft Services”.
Then Uncheck all the Services that are related to the the "AOL" in the same screen.
Click Apply, and clock Close.
Restart the computer as is instructs.
Now connect the USB cable, should install fine from there.
Go back to MSCONFIG and on the general tab select “Normal Start Up” to make all the services normal.
Restart the computer, try to print. . .. it should get installed and print.
If the software is already installed in the pc, unplug the Usb cable from pc, remove the printer icon from the Printers and Faxes, Uncheck the AOL services in the msconfig, restart the pc and plug back the USB Cable and continue with the Found New Hardware Wizard.
This problem may be due to one of the AOL services' influence on the Plug and play service, resulting some negative impact on it.
Ultimately this results improper USB enumeration and unsuccessful driver installation.

Regards
Harikumar.K

Re: Re: Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (12/26/06 1:05 PM) reply + / -
This error occurs if the Windows print spooler is not running or if the Lexmark printer process Lexbceserver is running on the computer.

Follow the steps below to determine if the SPOOLSV.EXE (the Print Spooler) or Lexbceserver processes are running on the computer:

Disconnect the communications cable to the printer, restart the computer, and then log into Windows as an Administrator.

Press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys on the keyboard to open Task Manager.

Click the Processes tab.

Look for SPOOLSV.EXE and Lexbceserver in the Processes list.

If SPOOLSV.EXE is not listed, the Print Spooler service is either stopped, disabled or corrupted. The Print Spooler must be running to install the printer. Review the remaining bullets and then proceed to the solution steps below to disable the Lexbceserver service and restart SPOOLSV.EXE.

If Lexbceserver is listed, it should be disabled before installing the software. Review the information below to learn how to disable this service. This is a Lexmark printer service that will sometimes keep other printers from using the print spooler. Proceed to the solution steps below to disable the Lexbceserver service and restart SPOOLSV.EXE.

If SPOOLSV.EXE is listed, restart the computer, uninstall the HP software, verify that SPOOLSV.EXE is running, and then reinstall the software. If the problem returns, continue troubleshooting below.

Follow the steps below to disable the Lexbcserver process and restart SPOOLSV.EXE:

If the Lexbceserver service was listed in the list of running Processes in step 4 above, it should be disabled. To disable this service:

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage. The Computer Management screen will open.

Double-click Services and Applications, and then click Services.

Double-click Services.

In the right pane, right-click Lexbceserver, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, in the Service status section click Stop.

Still on the General tab, use the drop down box to change the Startup type setting to Disabled, and then click OK. Leave the Computer Management window open when finished.

If SPOOLSV.EXE was not listed, verify the Print Spooler settings and restart that service by following the steps below.

Locate the Print Spooler in the list of services and look at the information in the Status and Startup Type columns for it.

If Started is listed in the Status column and Automatic is listed in the Startup Type Column for the Print Spooler service, proceed to step 4 below.

If the Status is not Started or the Startup Type is not Automatic, proceed to step b.
If Print Spooler does not appear in the list of services, Windows has become corrupt and should be repaired or reinstalled.

Right-click Print Spooler and then click Properties. This will open the Print Spooler Properties window.

Figure 2: Print Spooler Properties window

Verify that Automatic is displayed in the Startup Type section. Change the setting to Automatic if it is not.

Click Start in the Service status section to restart the Print Spooler service.

If an error occurs that causes the print spooler to stop, contact HP or Microsoft for assistance.

Click OK to accept the changes and close the window and then close any computer management windows still open.

Click Start, and then click Run. This will open the Run window.

Type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

On the General tab, check whether Normal Startup or Selective Startup is selected (see below).

If Normal Startup is selected, then all services, including the spooler service, should be loading normally. Continue troubleshooting with Step 7.

If Selective Startup is selected, make sure the Load System Services check box is also selected. This will allow all the services to load at startup including SPOOLSV.EXE.

Figure 3: System Configuration Utility

Click OK, and then restart the computer.

Reinstall the HP software. If the problem still occurs, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run. This will open the Run window.

Type sfc /scannow into the Run window and then click OK.

If you are prompted to insert the Windows disk, insert it and click Retry.

Follow the onscreen instructions and restart the computer when prompted.

Reinstall the HP software.

If the same problem still occurs after completing the steps in step 8 above, perform the following steps:

CAUTION: These solution steps require editing the Windows Registry. If these steps are not followed exactly, Windows may not function correctly. If you are uncomfortable performing these steps, get assistance.

Disconnect the communications cable to the printer.

Uninstall any other printers connected to the computer following the direction provided by the printer manufacturer. Restart the computer after uninstalling any other printers, then proceed to step three to backup the entire Windows registry.

Click Start and then click Run.

Type regedit into the Open box, and then click OK. The registry editor will appear.

In the Registry Editor, select My Computer.
In Windows 98, Me, or 2000, click Registry, and then click Export Registry.
Or,

In Windows XP, with My Computer highlighted, click File, and then Export.

Browse to a storage location that is easy to remember.
Under Export Range, select All.
Type in a filename. HP suggests naming the file with the current date, for example:Registry Backup 04-01-06.
Click the Save button to save the registry.
Locate and click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments \Windows NT x86\Drivers.

Click the plus (+) beside any Version-x subkeys (where x is a number). Under the Version-x entries, right-click any references to printers (do not remove any software references such as Adobe PDF Distiller or Active Touch Document Loader) that were installed on the computer, and then click Delete. Confirm the deletion.

Below this key, locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors key and click the plus (+) beside Monitors.

Several print monitors subkeys will be listed. Some are the default print monitors for the standard ports. These are the:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port

PJL Language Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

LPR Port may or may not appear.

Do not delete any of the print monitors listed above. Delete any print monitor subkey other than those listed above by right-clicking them and then clicking Delete.

Locate and click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and then click Spooler in the list of services to highlight it.

In the right pane, some data will be listed. Data string that begins with DependOnService.

If the data field of DependOnService contains lexbces, Right click DependOnService and select Modify. Delete the value lexbces and enter RPCSS. After the data value has been changed, click OK.

If the data field of DependOnService contains any other value (usually RPCSS), continue to the next step.

Close the registry editor and then restart the computer.

Reinstall the HP software.

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by davespera (12/29/06 1:00 PM) reply + / -
Dropping AOL is not an option for my 83 year old mother. She WILL NOT use anything but AOL. Are their other printers than HP that are NOT affected. I just had a chat with HP and they said all their printers have this problem with the recent AOL Safety & Security update. Any suggestions?

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by moe (edited 1/1/07 12:52 PM) reply + / -
Why not just leave the AOL safety and security software uninstalled? It is neither safe nor secure in my experience. She won't get any more or less spyware or viruses without it. Like I said in an earlier post, the worst infected computers that I've ever disinfected had AOL safety and security software installed. It's like tying pillows around you and venturing onto the freeway. Same level of safety and security.

Re: Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (1/1/07 10:04 AM) reply + / -
Thats not due to microsoft service but due to updation of the AOL security center..FYI

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (1/2/07 12:15 PM) reply + / -
As an Hp all in one technician, I have been encountering this quite a bit as of late. The main problem is that, its Aol's issue. However Aol isn't doing a thing about it. So just in case you do call into hp for support, we can point you to the right direction, but it is out of our support boundaries.

And, btw, I have been using the solutions above and they all work.

Re: Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (1/4/07 7:46 AM) reply + / -
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have battled with this for two days. finally came across your recommendation to disable ALL services and that was the trick. Disabling only the AOL related ones did not work, but now I'm back up and running.

Re: Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Jonathan S (1/9/07 6:23 PM) reply + / -
Sri,

My father-in-law was having the exact problem described in the original post, and your solution fixed it. Just thought you'd want to know it worked for one user!

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by pghparrot (1/12/07 9:53 AM) reply + / -
I had been getting similar messages with my HP Photosmart 2600 All-In-One, which had always worked fine in the past. I called my computer guru who had me try a few things. He finally told me to ditch my HP machine, saying that it was junk, even though it wasn't even 2 years old. We bought a Canon MP830 and we got the same error messages--cannot install printer, printer driver unknown, etc. I read the message from someone who said it was an AOL problem so I emailed AOL and they responded with suggestions on how to resolve the issue by unintalling just the latest updates, NOT the entire Safety and Security suite. I followed the first two steps (the third wasn't necessary for me) and now I get a message saying my printer has been successfully installed. Here is exactly what AOL told me to do; hope it helps others, Naomi:

I understand that you were unable to use your printer after downloading the latest Safety and Security Center update.

With each release, AOL adopts different protocols to provide better applications and eliminate previous difficulties. If the update to the Safety and Security software affected other programs that you were able to use before, I assure you that this is not intentional. The information below will ensure that your issue will be fixed.

A. DISABLE SPYWARE SHIELDING FROM AOL SAFETY AND SECURITY CENTER SPYWARE PROTECTION

To turn Spyware Shielding off:
1. Launch the AOL Safety and Security Center 2.1 software as you normally would.
2. On the left, click the SPYWARE PROTECTION tab.
3. On the right, click the SETTINGS tab.
4. Under SPYWARE PROTECTION SETTINGS, click the TURN ON SPYWARE SHIELDING box to remove a check mark in it.

B. STOP CA PEST PATROL'S REALTIME PROTECTION SERVICE
To proceed with the steps, you must have administrative access to your computer. If you do not, please contact your computer manufacturer or system administrator.

1. Click START, select CONTROL PANEL.
2. Click ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS. (I had to go to Performance and Maintenance first to get to this part)
3. Select SERVICES.
4. Right click CA PEST PATROL REALTIME PROTECTION SERVICE and select PROPERTIES.
5. Change STARTUP TYPE To MANUAL.
6. Click OK.

When done with the steps, restart your computer.

After restarting, make sure that the file "ITMRTSVC.exe" is not running. (mine was not running, so I didn't need to do this)

1. Right-click a blank area on the Windows TASK BAR, then click TASK MANAGER.
2. On the APPLICATIONS tab, choose "ITMRTSVC.exe". Then click the END TASK button. If you receive an End Program message, click the END NOW button.
3. Click the X in the upper right corner to close the TASK MANAGER window.

Re: Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (1/12/07 10:00 AM) reply + / -
You don't need to drop AOL; I refuse to do that. Here's what AOL told me to do, and it worked. Most people try to tell you to do things that are way too complicated. This wasn't and it appears to work. If it doesn't, you can easily go back and chnage the settings to where they were before. Naomi

I understand that you were unable to use your printer after downloading the latest Safety and Security Center update.

With each release, AOL adopts different protocols to provide better applications and eliminate previous difficulties. If the update to the Safety and Security software affected other programs that you were able to use before, I assure you that this is not intentional. The information below will ensure that your issue will be fixed.

A. DISABLE SPYWARE SHIELDING FROM AOL SAFETY AND SECURITY CENTER SPYWARE PROTECTION

To turn Spyware Shielding off:
1. Launch the AOL Safety and Security Center 2.1 software as you normally would.
2. On the left, click the SPYWARE PROTECTION tab.
3. On the right, click the SETTINGS tab.
4. Under SPYWARE PROTECTION SETTINGS, click the TURN ON SPYWARE SHIELDING box to remove a check mark in it.

B. STOP CA PEST PATROL'S REALTIME PROTECTION SERVICE
To proceed with the steps, you must have administrative access to your computer. If you do not, please contact your computer manufacturer or system administrator.

1. Click START, select CONTROL PANEL.
2. Click ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS. (I needed to go to Performance and Maintenance to get to Administrative Tools)
3. Select SERVICES.
4. Right click CA PEST PATROL REALTIME PROTECTION SERVICE and select PROPERTIES.
5. Change STARTUP TYPE To MANUAL.
6. Click OK.

When done with the steps, restart your computer.

After restarting, make sure that the file "ITMRTSVC.exe" is not running. (I didn't need to do this; mine was not running)

1. Right-click a blank area on the Windows TASK BAR, then click TASK MANAGER.
2. On the APPLICATIONS tab, choose "ITMRTSVC.exe". Then click the END TASK button. If you receive an End Program message, click the END NOW button.
3. Click the X in the upper right corner to close the TASK MANAGER window.

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by moe (1/12/07 10:46 AM) reply + / -
The problem with AOLers is that they've never experienced the real internet. I went from AOL 56K dial up to DSL extreme, which was a significant improvement, but had intermittent outages. I now have Verizon FIOS. The most awesome internet experience you can have in the US. $34.95 a month for the most stable internet I've ever used. 5mb down and 2mb up all the time. Depending on your area and availability, you can get up to an astonishing 50mb down.
Recently dumped DISH network and also went to FIOS. Wow, what a difference! Even save $10 a month and got a HD recorder thrown in free.
So, until you've tried something, you really don't know what you're missing. I've said it before and I'll say it again. "AOL is the worst, most abysmal internet provider there is!" I wouldn't have it if it was free, even if they paid me to use it. It is just too annoying and crippled for me to use.

Re: Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (1/14/07 5:58 AM) reply + / -
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Your solution worked. I was ready to pull my hair out. I've struggled with this since 12/10. Talked to AOL techs and online messaged them twice and no one admitted to knowing about this! Thankfully my nephew found this website and sent it to me. I have new disregard for AOL. Now if only I could truly get Norton out of my computer! L.Cannella

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (1/25/07 11:16 AM) reply + / -
I also thank you. Same problem. Although I was lucky enough to find this thread in a relatively short period of time. Thanks again.

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Anonymous (1/25/07 7:06 PM) reply + / -
Me too. Had the same problem. Thanks a TON to all of you.

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by jodles71 (1/28/07 7:10 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much...worked like a breeze! Wish I would have looked here 1st before wasting tons of time trying myself!

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by Justin32 (4/28/08 7:35 PM) reply + / -
That same issue occurs to my printer yesterday and I just go to
msconfig > startup tab > disable all startup entries > restart my computer .. I trash the printer driver that is currently installed and installed the driver that I downloaded in my product supoprt website (support.epson.com). After that, I go back to msconfig > startup tab > enable startup entries >
restart computer.. And when I print .. Its amazing, I fix the issue.... I really love EPSON.. This dinosaur works as new again...

Justin

Re: Print Driver Unknown Error by dlg (7/15/08 7:30 AM) reply + / -
I have the hp 7850. I did the config info and it worked last nite, but now when I turned on the computer this morning, it keeps saying there is an error for printing. Before the printer flies out my window, what else is there for me to do? Besides scream!! help!!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters