MouseMFC210C

asked Dec 8, 2006 at 6:06am
Brother Brother MFC 210C

Error Message 4F on MFC 210C

Hi!

Kept getting a "Unable to Print see Maintainace and Troubleshooting Guide" message.Only thing to do was clean the platen(?). Not the easiest part to find. They should make it another color... Finally called Brother...Went through the "key in blah,blah, and blah" bit. LCD Flashed error code 4F. Guy on the helpline didn't know what it meant(!!). Gave me an area repair shop. I'd like to know the code meaning so I can(if need be)make sure that the shop doesn't try to rip me off(repair est./self-repair instruc. would be nice from here, too). Thanks!

Regards,
M
Access the internal maintenance mode by pressing the Menu/Set button, then press * 2 8 6 4 within 2 seconds. This should put you in the maintenance mode menu. Enter 80, then scroll down with the arrow down (round) key. You'll find an entry listed as purge count. If number is over 6000, enter 2 7 8 3.

This will reset the purge count value. Then the printer will restart, hopefully without the annoying cannot clean message.

You'd be surprised how this fixes inoperable MFC210c's--TRY THIS FIRST!
by phildoe on Feb 12, 2007 at 4:22am Add comment
I reset the purge counter as per your suggestions. It worked fine. Thank You for your help.
I now get message "unable to init", then "machine error A7".
Can you help me resovle this? - unknown
Hi phidoe,

I use MFC4400 and has same message "unable to print 4f" and printer doesn't print anything (before it does occationally). I couldn't follow your instruction on my menu settings. Do you have solution for the MFC4400 model? When I get in menu, which submenu should I get in and type the number *2864? You can send email to me [email protected] Thank you very much! - Patq
Your solution worked great. I deleted the page count & the PURGE count and then unplugged the machine for a couple minutes. It came back like a new machine! Thank you!!!! - unknown
Sorry, that was my only magic trick. Best of Luck with your ongoing fix.
by phildoe on Jun 21, 2007 at 4:48pm Add comment
Hi,
Did you ever get an answer to the final part of your question regarding the messages "unable to init." and "machine error A7"? Mine has a "machine error 4F."

Thanks,
kmk_888
by kmk_888 on Sep 27, 2007 at 12:41pm Add comment
I JUST UNPLUGGED MINE TO GET SERVICED BUT WAY TO EXPENSIVE, SO I TOOK A CHANCE TWO DAYS LATER AND PLUGGED IT IN AND THE DARN THING JUST STARTED PRINTING LIKE NOTHING WAS EVER WRONG.
by Anonymous on Oct 3, 2008 at 12:35pm Add comment
Ok, I keep getting the "Unable to Print see Maintainace and Troubleshooting Guide" message. Can you PLEASE tell me where to find and or how to clean the platen?????? I can't find help for this anywhere and your post is the only one about it. PLEASE HELP.
by Anonymous on Dec 1, 2008 at 9:23am Add comment
Did not get a response to my message. Gave up on Brothers printer and purchased a samsung 2010. Works fine. - Anonymous
la impresora le he 4 veces el mantenimiento del teclado *2864 y la pergas salen en cero pero no funcone para imprimir que hagogracias de antemano - Anonymous
Good idear.
Congratulations and good luck.
Samsung makes pretty good stuff!
by phildoe on Dec 2, 2008 at 7:10pm Add comment
Hi phidoe,

I have MFC 440CN WITH THE MESSAGE UNABLE TO PRINT 4F, THEN I TRY TO DO THE INTERNAL MAINTANCE BUT I USE THE CODE FOR *2864 BUT I DIDNT WORK. NOW IT SAY MACHINE ERROR 4F AND I UNABLE TO DO NOTHING. CAN YOU HELP ME, PLEASE. THANKSS
by unknown on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:37pm Add comment
Error 4F means your printhead is RIP, mostly due to bad quality ink.
by Anonymous on Sep 21, 2009 at 6:06am Add comment
All I get on mine is unable to clean see maintenance guide. I can't get the thing to do anything except go into fax mode when I do *2864. So far not gotten any error code or any response from machine. 80 black start 25 times does not work either. so what do I do now?
by FireEagle170 on Nov 28, 2010 at 3:54pm Add comment
I carry out many times the procedure explained to delate error 4F,and sometimes the machine has operated, but soon after it's out of order like in this moment. there's someone could help me?
by unknown on Dec 11, 2010 at 2:55pm Add comment
IS THERE A STEP MISSING, TO ACCESS THE MAINTENANCE MODE MENU? I TRIED ENTERING *2864, RE-INSTALLING EACH CARTRIDGE ONE AT A TIME, AND SENDING A DOCUMENT FROM OUR COMPUTER TO THE PRINTER, WITH ZERO SUCCESS! I MIGHT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDATION OF THE ANONYMOUS WRITER FROM OCT.3RD,2008 TO JUST UNPLUG MY UNIT FOR SEVERAL DAYS;HOPEFULLY WITH SOME SUCCESS!
THE USER'S MANUAL I HAVE, DOES NOT MENTION A MAINTENANCE MODE MENU!HELP NEEDED!
by lilrev on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:50pm Add comment
Error Message 4F on MFC 130C
by unknown on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:05pm Add comment
Will not print. How do I overcome this?
by unknown on Sep 11, 2011 at 1:36pm Add comment
Hi All

Error 4F usually means that there is a fault in the hardware associated with the print head.

And guys, please be aware that you loose warranty when playing aroung in Maintenance Mode. (Maintenance Mode was never intended to be operated by end-user, only by Service Partners)

Regards
by unknown on Nov 28, 2011 at 1:41am Add comment
pls sould this error
by unknown on Dec 19, 2012 at 1:19am Add comment
My Canon Pixma iP4200 will only print black. I have run a nozzle check and have done a deep clean but it still won't print any colour.
by DIYprinting on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:14pm Add comment
I've got a Brother DCP-330C with an 'Unable to print 4F' error
I tried the maintenance mode menu Enter 80 and that has come up with 00:00 09:42 OK which I think is the default time?

any ides how to fix it?

thanks
by unknown on Mar 8, 2013 at 2:46am Add comment
I have to resolve this error please if anyone can help to resolve this issue>??
by unknown on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:13am Add comment
Unable to init. 4F on my brother MFC-J265W. Says refer to Users guide What do I do?
by unknown on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:42pm Add comment
So this helped some people. Unfortunately not me.

Note: You need to reset both the purge and flushing counters.(Some say page counters to)
Press the Menu key on the touch panel and the Mono Start key on the control panel and then press the Scan key four times.
​OR
​Press the Menu key on the touch panel followed by the *, 2, 8, 6 and 4 keys on the keypad.

The machine is placed in the initial stage of the maintenance mode in which it is ready to accept entry from the keys.
Press the 8 and 0 keys in this order in the initial stage of the maintenance mode.
Press the Mono Start key several times until the purge count appears on the LCD.
Press the 2, 7, 8, and 3 keys in this order to reset the purge count.
Press the Stop/Exit key to return to the initial stage of the maintenance mode.
Repeat Steps 3-6 to find and reset flush counter.
Press the 9 key twice to exit from the maintenance mode.
Plug out your printer for a couple minutes and then plug it back in.

Well i reset everything to 0 . but still doesn't seem to work with my dcp 6690cw
by unknown on Apr 7, 2014 at 5:30pm Add comment

Basically this kind of error caused by loss of voltage on print head. If this is the case then I suggest to buy a new printer rather than replace print head. Print head might be too costly.

by techninjas on Aug 26, 2015 at 11:00am Add comment