fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

brother error code 46

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

brother error code 46 by slittler (edited 8/26/06 1:06 AM) reply + / -
help please,urgently need a fix for error 46(waste ink reset).machine is 18 months old,and has been brill till this. machine is a dcp110c

Re: brother error code 46 by Mike B (8/24/06 9:58 PM) reply + / -
Brother did not have the waste ink reset error as far as I know. I think this is a communications I/O error as that is what it is on other brother machines.

As you did not give a model number I will have to assume you have a model with buttons. You need to get into maintenance.

On most Brother MFC machines it is the buttons: function, *, 2, 8, 6, 4, hit the buttons within 2 seconds and in order like push function than push *, than push 2. and on within 2 seconds.

If you do this right Maintenance should show up in the display. Now press 01 which clears all memory and puts the machine back to factory default. Realize that all addresses in the fax and cover page will be gone and you will need to set it up again. Now hit 99 to leave maintenance mode and try the machine.

Without a model number it is hard to know which procedure you should use. But most Brothers use the above.

Really hope this helps you out

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by slittler (8/26/06 1:03 AM) reply + / -
hi thanks for your reply.the model is a dcp110c.and ive already done the 01/99 bit.its going in the bin very soon

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (8/26/06 8:50 AM) reply + / -
Hi out there,

before giving the little one to the bin, have a look here:

http://www.enderlin-direkt.com/news/faq_inside.html#Brother_mfc215c

Due to the fact all new brother modells are of the same print engine (;-)) it will give you a hint on how to clean the wasteink bag. Unfurtunatly i do not have the restet code but mikes explanation might help!

Re: brother error code 46 by Mike B (8/26/06 10:40 AM) reply + / -
The above post is a good one there is a waste ink tank in the machine. As I have not worked on this model, I was suprized.

You will need to put the link into google and translate the site into english. Once you have found and cleaned out the ink in the tank you will need to do the reset with the menu button that you had figured out before.

while the site above does not translate into english well you can at least use it to locate what you need to clean out.

Hope this helps

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (8/26/06 2:00 PM) reply+1 + / -
if you want to know the rest sequence email me @ vidhome@hotmail.com and i'll sens you the full procedure, it's too long winded to type here

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (8/27/06 3:26 PM) reply + / -
Sorry for not given the language to you all who are interested in the link to enderlin.com: It's german.

The text next to the pictures describes the tech of this printer and how to remove the plastics to get to the printhead and the inkbag.

Re: brother error code 46 by trickydicky (4/6/07 6:16 AM) reply + / -

Hello all – here is the code 46 solution – happy printing!

Machine Error 46 – Purged Ink Box Full MFC620CN/420CN/410CN/210C and FAX2440C

The machine counts all purge (cleaning) operations in order to prevent the internal ink absorber box from overflowing with purged ink. An “initial purge”, for example, advances the purge counter by 187 + 420 = 607. When the purge counter approaches 6400, an internal "Machine Error 46" is generated. Further purge operations are prohibited, and therefore the printer becomes unuseable.

When an internal Machine Error 46 is generated, the user will see an “Unable to Clean” external message and will be unable to use the printer. The “Unable to Clean” external message can relate to many different internal error codes however.

The user can establish the internal Machine Error Code as follows: pull the mains cable out of the machine (power off), hold down the Menu/Set key, re-insert the mains cable into the machine (power on). The internal Machine Error Code will be displayed.

If there is a Machine Error 46, it is necessary to dismantle the printer, replace the ink absorber box (or possibly break the ink absorber box open and clean its absorbent sponges under a tap), re-assemble the printer and reset the purge counter to zero.

Resetting purge counter MFC620CN/420CN/410CN/210C and FAX2440C

1) Enter machine maintenance mode (on MFC210C all four photo/copy/fax/scan lights flash in maintenance mode). Care is needed in maintenance mode, otherwise critical settings may be inadvertently corrupted.

FAX models with numerical keypads: Press the Menu/Set, *, 2, 8, 6 and 4 keys within two seconds. (if you fail to complete the correct key sequence within two seconds, press the Stop key to try again).

Other (non-FAX) models: Press the Menu/Set and Black Start keys. Next press the “up arrow” key four times to enter the maintenance mode).

2) Press the 8 then 0 keys in the initial stage of the maintenance mode to call up the machine's log information list (function code 80).

3) Press the Black Start key several times to scroll through the log information list to reach the purge counter. The purge counter is the 25th item in the list.

4) Press the 2, 7, 8, and 3 keys in this order to reset the purge count to zero.

5) Press the Stop/Exit key to return to the initial stage of the maintenance mode.

6) Press the 9 key twice to return to the standby state.

Re: brother error code 46 by peace (4/14/07 8:21 PM) reply + / -
I have a brother DCP110 and i think i need to reset the purge counter (machine error 46). I have dismantled the printer and clean the waste ink pad. Can anybody tell me how to get rid of the error message and get the printer back to work? thanks

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/26/07 7:37 PM) reply + / -
Thanks so much! I was having a breakdown when I spoke to Brother today. My printer is running again. But I have no idea how to get to the "ink absorber box open and clean its absorbent sponges under a tap."

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/29/07 11:10 AM) reply + / -
I have cleaned the ink absorber for a brother dcp 117c, but am not having much success getting the purge reset code from brother. Can you help?

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/29/07 11:20 AM) reply + / -
I have cleaned the ink absorber for a brother dcp 117c, but am not having much success getting the purge reset code from brother. Can you help?

Re: brother error code 46 by dcp10 (8/2/07 12:09 PM) reply + / -
Where is the ink absorber and how do I get to it to clean it?

I have a DCP-110c.

Brother error by IWayan (10/30/07 2:15 AM) reply + / -
Please help!
I have a printer; Brother DCP 110C and always beep saying "Unable to clean, see troubleshooting and routine maintenance chapter in user's guide"
What can be the problem?
Thank you

Brother error by IWayan (10/30/07 2:24 AM) reply + / -
Please help!
I have a printer; Brother DCP 110C and always beep saying "Unable to clean, see troubleshooting and routine maintenance chapter in user's guide"
What can be the problem?
Thank you

Brother error by IWayan (10/30/07 2:49 AM) reply + / -
Please help!
What can be the problem?
Thank you

Brother error by IWayan (10/30/07 2:51 AM) reply + / -
Please help!
What can be the problem?
Thank you

Re: brother error code 46 by Stiv (11/6/07 9:13 AM) reply + / -
i cleaned the waste ink basket and reset the purge counter, but the error still remains. what else could be the problem? is there any code for a master reset? please help me. i reset almost every counter from the maintenance mode. it works for 5 seconds, then it says again error. please tell me what to do.

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (11/6/07 5:00 PM) reply + / -
that's terrible! I had this error months ago and it was resolved with resetting the purge counter. Can you tell me how you cleaned the waste ink basket? I would really appreciate it!

Re: brother error code 46 by Stiv (11/7/07 1:02 AM) reply + / -
i washed and removed all the ink, and then dried the sponges.the error now is not 46 anymore but 51, and i cant find anywhere what this error means and how to solve.if anyone knows, let me know. thanks

Re: brother error code 46 by ghil_33 (12/26/07 11:20 PM) reply + / -
help me pls! i that kind of error, i think but the problem is, my lcd is not working can you give me detailed step by step on how to reset the purge counter, and if you can with a picture of lcd display... pls help me

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (12/27/07 6:47 PM) reply + / -
Try these exact steps. If you follow them even without seeing the LCD they should work. It worked for me.

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (12/27/07 6:51 PM) reply + / -
Sorry here they are!

1) Enter machine maintenance mode (on MFC210C all four photo/copy/fax/scan lights flash in maintenance mode). Care is needed in maintenance mode, otherwise critical settings may be inadvertently corrupted.

FAX models with numerical keypads: Press the Menu/Set, *, 2, 8, 6 and 4 keys within two seconds. (if you fail to complete the correct key sequence within two seconds, press the Stop key to try again).

Other (non-FAX) models: Press the Menu/Set and Black Start keys. Next press the “up arrow” key four times to enter the maintenance mode).

2) Press the 8 then 0 keys in the initial stage of the maintenance mode to call up the machine's log information list (function code 80).

3) Press the Black Start key several times to scroll through the log information list to reach the purge counter. The purge counter is the 25th item in the list.

4) Press the 2, 7, 8, and 3 keys in this order to reset the purge count to zero.

5) Press the Stop/Exit key to return to the initial stage of the maintenance mode.

Re: brother error code 46 by ghil_33 (12/30/07 7:06 AM) reply + / -
hey friend! thanks, but how will i press the 8 and 0 in my dcp 115c, it dont have any numeric keypad in its control panel... i dont know which button will i press to get the 8, 0 and the reset code 2 7 8 3. can you show me a picture step by step...pls relpy asap i need it badly...

thankx man... i will wait... :)

Re: brother error code 46 by beanlep (1/13/08 9:29 AM) reply + / -
Brother 130C notice : Unable to clean, see troubleshooting and routine maintenance chapter in user's guide .
what is solution ?
thanks

Re: brother error code 46 by Error420 (1/20/08 12:25 AM) reply + / -
Brother should be forced to pay every person back that ever bought or waisted thier money on one of these POS printers. I have printed 0 color pages becuase of the ink usage and have had to replace all three color inks 3 times now. I have never ever had this problem with any other printer I have ever had. I would rather have a good old dot matrix or daisy wheel printer instead of this POS MFC 420CN. All I use it for is to print shipping labels not constantly but color ink. What a piece of crap.

Re: brother error code 46 by Noei (2/13/08 7:59 PM) reply + / -
Hi all,

i experience unable to clean problem for my DCP 110C too but i did open the printer and took the ink absorber to clean. However this time another message came out which is "unable to init". Can someone help me to solve my problem and how do i reset the purge count for DCP 110C?

thank in advance=D

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (2/28/08 11:40 PM) reply + / -
Thanks so much! I thought my printer was destined for the trash can but your solution solved it.

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/2/08 6:56 PM) reply + / -
My Brother MFC 5440 is showing the message "Unable to Init." - Error 46. Can this be fixed without buying a new part from Brother??

Re: Re: brother error code 46(unable to clean) by Anonymous (5/20/08 1:00 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for this explanation,it was of great help and it perfectly solve the problem with my Brother DCP110C.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: brother error code 46(unable to clean) by Anonymous (5/29/08 8:07 PM) reply + / -
Please forward the "fix" to me. I have a very similar problem with the same model printer.

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (6/16/08 7:35 PM) reply + / -
Yip brother printers r a pain. Mine is giving this "unable to clean" msg as well. I wonder why the printer doesn't work when one of the 4 catridges sink down.

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (6/16/08 7:37 PM) reply + / -
Yip brother printers r a pain. Mine is giving this "unable to clean" msg as well. I wonder why the printer doesn't work when one of the 4 catridges sink down.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by DEEPAL (6/17/08 1:30 PM) reply + / -
HI EVERYBODY,

I don't know how to thanks for this valuable information about
fixing the error codes in brother printers. I was having very hard time to fix the brother 210C printer for about a three weeks. I was searching the web and finally I found this web site and fixed the error right away. I don't know the persons name or any information about the person who post this.THANKS SOO MUCH and GOD BLESS YOU.
DEEPAL

Re: brother error code 46 by hysen (6/20/08 4:07 AM) reply + / -
dear partners

i have one printer brother hl8050n with error code c50 .
it is with fuser kit fuser kit is ok , coud you provide me how to reset fuser kit on this printer

thanks in advance
hysen

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Deepal (6/20/08 7:54 AM) reply + / -
Mr.Heysen
I don't knnow how to reset your brother printer hl8050n. But I'll
keep on looking about this and if I get an answer I'll post here.
Thanks, Have a good day.

Re: brother error code 46 by Deepal (6/20/08 8:06 AM) reply + / -
Mr.Heysen,
Please try this link could help you this is the user guide PDF format.

http://www.brother-usa.com

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (7/16/08 1:33 AM) reply + / -

Having cleaned the purged ink box, following your istructions I sucesfully reset the purge counter and all is working fine again.

Brother refused to provide this information for my MFC620CN and I am most grateful for your help.

Regards,

Ray Davey

Re: brother error code 46 by prinzess (8/6/08 12:36 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much for this info. My printer purge counter is now reset. But i still need to dismantle the printer to clean the absorbent sponge. I'll do it very soon

Re: brother error code 46 by MaxiDion (8/15/08 2:36 AM) reply + / -
gudday ppol, i read ur post about resetting brother printers and i have the same problem. But my printer model is dcp 120c, and it doesn't have any numerical buttons to push. Can anyone help me pls.

Re: brother error code 46 by MaxiDion (8/15/08 2:42 AM) reply + / -
gudday ppol, i read ur post about resetting brother printers and i have the same problem. But my printer model is dcp 120c, and it doesn't have any numerical buttons to push. Can anyone help me pls.

Re: brother error code 46 by ghost_whisperer (8/21/08 9:47 AM) reply + / -
Anyone knows how to locate the ink absorber box? I don't see it anywhere.. Do you have to unscrew or anything? I've reset the purge counter, but the problem isn't solved.
my printer is dcp110c. thanks!

Re: brother error code 46 by ink2go (9/3/08 2:29 AM) reply + / -
the proper reset code sequence to reset DCP printers without numeric keypad should be as follows:

1. press buttons Set, Menu, Mono Start one by one, followed by up arrow key four times. this should all be done as short a time as possible, around 3 seconds.

2. enter maintenance mode 80 by pressing the up/down arrow key and set key to select numbers 8 and 0

3. press up arrow key several times to get to the Purge item

4. enter 2, 7, 8 and 3 using arrow/set keys to reset the counter

5. press Stop/Exit key to go to root of maintenance mode

6. enter 9,9 to exit maintenance mode

Re: brother error code 46 by dead_pixel (10/15/08 9:43 AM) reply + / -
ink2go, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

this really works!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: brother error code 46 (for DCP115 Reset) by Anonymous (10/22/08 9:57 PM) reply + / -
Hi Ghil...

I hope I wasn't late giving you this fix...
I have fixed mine with the same unit of yours...

Here's how...

1. Pres 'menu', 'mono start' then 'menu' one by one...
2. Press the arrow up or down to go to 'maintenance 80'.
3. Press 'mono start' several times to go to 'Purge'. Finding the PURGE will show some numeric value which is I assume the number of times the printer had cleaned.
4. Press 'arrow up' key and scroll for number "2" then press "set". Do the same for numbers 7, 8 and 3. After you have entered this combination, the purge numeric value will be reseted to 00000.

That's it...

Mail me if you want more detailed fix...

xyrus_killersmile@yahoo.com or at the outlook I am using I have stated above...

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (11/13/08 9:02 AM) reply + / -
THIS IS THE ONE THAT WORKED! THANKS SO MUCH

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (11/26/08 9:42 AM) reply + / -
Por favor, alguem me ajude a resolver esse erro que aparece nas minhas maquinas. Comprei 5 brother dcp 130-c e 4 estão apresentando o erro 46.Preciso delas para trabalhar, aguardo a bondade de quem puder ajudar-me.
Obrigada.

Re: brother error code 46 by stuio (12/15/08 12:04 PM) reply + / -
Hi, Can you help plzzz
I follwed the instructions in above posts and I cleaned the tank sponges dried them put them back and plugged hoses etc back in... Then purged it back to 0000 rebooted it and is showing as purged 0000 but still getting machine error46??????
Is there something i missed i have a Brother MFC 215C with numeric pad
thanks
golfcrazy@ntlworld.com

Re: brother error code 46 by msohnius (1/8/09 3:58 AM) reply + / -
As usual, the advice from fixyourownprinter.com saved the day! I was able to "fix" the Unable to Clean error on my MFC620CN by following the various posts in this thread, first to find the actual error code (46 indeed!) and then to reset the purge counter. Magic numbers they are!!

What's left to do is actually clean the waste ink tank. I suppose that unless we change a lot of cartridges (or do head cleaning) in the next few days, this can wait a little. It does appear to be a rather major operation, but the German website from Enderlin-direkt (once again: http://www.hstt.net/refill-faq/inside.html#Brother_mfc215c ) will be a help.

Now a promise: if I get this to work, I just might take the trouble (a) to ask Enderlin for permission, and then (b) to translate the page into English and publish it on our web site.

Gratefully yours,

M.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (1/10/09 10:50 AM) reply + / -
My MFC620 failed a few days ago too, "unable to clean".

I stripped the machine down, cleaned the waste ink tank and zeroed the purge counter but still no luck.

Fortunately I had a new unopened DCF120 in my loft which I won in a raffle so I have taken the printhead and waste tank from that and fitted them into the 620, reset the eeprom info and everything is now working great.

The replacement printhead looks like it's a newer design so hopefully it'll last better than the previous one, but if not then at least it's been a cheap fix.

Re: brother error code 46 by msohnius (1/10/09 4:58 PM) reply + / -
Was your error code actually the notorious 46? Both before and after?

Because, for me, all I needed to do was reset the purge counter - I didn't even clean the waste ink tank (yet). (Due to a "go through all the paperwork in the house and sort it" operation by Her, there is not a horizontal surface in the house free of newspaper cutouts, old letters, or similar, on which to take apart a printer!)

Cheers,

M.

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (1/22/09 6:37 PM) reply + / -
pls help me . my printer mfc260 error 46 .
what can i do .
help me pls ......

Re: Re: Re: brother error code 46 (for DCP115 Reset) by Anonymous (1/24/09 3:55 PM) reply + / -
Thank you soooo much; clear, precise, succinct and most important of all it WORKS!!!!

I have the DCP 110C.

Thanks again.

Re: brother error code 46 by MatthewL (3/4/09 1:34 PM) reply+1 + / -
i cleaned the pad (pain in the butt), and did the "purge" reset.

Did not fix it.

SO...i got ballsy...
I went thru almost all the settings in the maintenance menu (80) and hit 2783 on them to clear them out. I did not do ones that i thought might hurt it. But in reality, if i did 2783 to one and it didnt like it, when i went back it would default it to factory so i dont think you can mess it up.

But now it works, so i think everyone else who did the purge and it didnt fix it, do what i did...

This was on a mfc5440

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (3/24/09 6:23 PM) reply + / -
trickydicky's instructions worked perfectly. Thanks a bunch because I was about to spend money for service or buy a new printer.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by norms (3/27/09 1:49 AM) reply + / -
Hello..gud day 2 you...thank u for giving an idea..my printer having that same problem ERROR 46..so i do what ever u say and thanks to you it works..

mfc 640 cw by lacee5 (3/31/09 12:16 PM) reply + / -
hello.. I have a brother mfc 640 cw printer. I bought it in Germany, so the lcd display is german too. Is there any solution to change the lcd language to english or hungarian. Thanks

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/9/09 5:06 PM) reply + / -
Very good (I suppose); what about a DCP-110 without a numerical keypad?

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/25/09 10:29 AM) reply + / -
Many Thanks.
I have a brother DCP115C, which WAS displaying "Unable to clean", Error 46.
I followed your directions ( i am not sure wether I used the UP key or the mono start key, at around the 23/25 stroke "PURGE" came up, I followed the rest of your directions and now a fully operational printer.

Again Many Thanks, Monty D

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/30/09 7:11 AM) reply + / -
Dear Trickydicky,

thanks a mill, your solution worked! and saved me from binning the printer and buying a new one.

BTW even though my machine has fax (MFC-215C), it was the instructions for non-fax machines per your note that worked.

I find it extraordinary that this shutdown of the printer is actually designed in by Brother. Once the purge counter exceeds 6,400 the machine WILL shut down, so sooner or later every Brother user will meet this problem, and there's no advice to users as to what that problem is, how serious it is and how it can be solved.

This doesn't even work as built-in obsolescence. Without advice as from your website, poeple would spend a frustrating couple of weekends trying to get the machine to work before dumping it in frsutration never to go near a Brother again. Not a good business plan!

Anyway, that's the rant out of the way. thanks again Trickydicky

Re: brother error code 46 by msohnius (5/1/09 3:15 AM) reply + / -
I can only agree with Anonymous's sentiments: although I was able to clear the error thanks to this web page, and also subsequently cleaned the overflow tank (don't do this unless you have either a pair of latex gloves or a free social diary for at least a week: printer ink is worse under the fingernails than even engine grease!), I would never touch a Brother product again.

A company who has the audacity and callousness to do something like this to its users deserves to be punished, at least by a boycott of their products. After all, these are consumer market printers, usually bought at a store like Office Depot in the US or PC World over here, and any attempt to have a "professional" at the store look at it would be both expensive and in all probability useless. By the time the counter reaches 64000, the model won't be on sale anymore, and the "engineer" who knew it will be working somewhere else.

How much would it have cost Brother to add the maintenance manual with the needed codes as a PDF to the documentation CD?

Once again, thanks to FizYourOwnPrinter.com for saving our bacon!

M.

(NB, that Apple Laser Writer Pro 600 - vintage 1992 - that I refurbished with your "harmonica fold kit" about 6 years ago is still going strong!)

Re: Re: Re: brother error code 46 (for DCP115 Reset) by Toddo (5/23/09 10:21 PM) reply + / -
thank you or that detailed fix. If you would be so kind if you know the fix for error 4F on this model too? I tried the one you listed here and it did what you said it would, but still have error 4F.

Regards,
Tod

brother error code 46 by puffdaddy (7/21/09 7:41 PM) reply + / -
trickydicky you are a legend!! Your solution fixed my problem. Once the purge count was reset, it worked. Last time this happened I bought another printer since I had lot of ink cartriges I ended up buying the same printer again. I went shopping last night for another printer fortunately the shops were closed otherwise, I would have bought yet another printer. Why doesn't bother site give this solution... Obviously, another way of making money. Thanks Mate.

Re: brother error code 46 by gel (edited 8/14/09 3:49 AM) reply + / -
Fortunately my 620CN has extended warranty, so got Brother to swop.
Waste Ink Tank much bigger than I thought and fits along back of machine, taking up getting on for full width; I've posted an image of what it looks like here, as may be of interest.

http://www.peasemore.plus.com/brother.jpg

I see part is under £3 on this spares site;
http://www.brother-spare-parts.co.uk

Re: brother error code 46 by Claranel (8/14/09 7:56 AM) reply + / -
Hi, thank u very much for the tips on how to fix the error. I really appreciate it. Now my printer is back to normal again. Tks once again. . .

Re: brother dcp 130c machine error46 by Anonymous (8/18/09 11:12 PM) reply + / -
Hi everyone,
help pls...

I have a brother 130c, first it says unable to clean 46, i tried the help posted & i think i pressed the wrong keys, now it says machine error46...

Re: brother error code 46 by dantis (edited 9/2/09 2:49 AM) reply + / -
I have a MFC-215C, the error code is 'unable to init'. I have tried resetting all the counters in maintenance mode but to no avail, the printer will print from PC fine, no problem, but I cannot scan or copy, there is nothing jamming the printer either I have checked all that as well. Any ideas guys, Many thanks

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (10/24/09 3:07 PM) reply + / -
Who ever this person(Anonymous (12/27/07 6:51 PM)
), thank you very much, I have managed to purge my brother printer. works as it used to.

Very important, once this procedure is complete, turn off printer for at least 10 seconds. then restart, otherwise you might have the same problem as me, still had the error code.

thank you

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (11/2/09 5:26 PM) reply + / -
Just to bump this since it worked incredibly well (Note: I didn't actually clean anything, I just reset the purge count).:

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by fairchild_13 (11/9/09 10:04 AM) reply + / -
OMG! You're heaven sent! And thank you all so much! <3

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (11/19/09 11:08 AM) reply + / -
U must also re-set the flushing case counter aswell as the purge counter.

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (11/29/09 4:25 AM) reply + / -
dcp-330c error 46 could anybody help?need the reset code.thanks.

Re: brother dcp110c unable to clean by trishwok (12/1/09 1:27 AM) reply + / -
my brother dcp110c makes a wierd noise then says unable to clean can anyone please help, i so desperatley need to complete my work. please please help.

Re: brother error code 46 by stevenkl (12/4/09 10:09 AM) reply + / -
Done the flushing etc as detailed in this thread.

Was getting "Unable to Clean" error codes 50 and 73. Clear one and get the other. Still getting them after following instructions here.

Anybody know what those particular codes mean and how to get around them?

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (12/18/09 6:17 AM) reply + / -
Hi, have had this come up on my DCP-340CW, Hoping you can help me out with info of how to get around this. Just to let you know, mine is not a fax unit, so i have no number buttons.
Many Thanks, Derek.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (12/26/09 7:50 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi,maybe you can try to do as what I had done on my DCP-130C same as code
"unable to init".open up the scan glass cover careful about the sacn tube
release "free" the drive belt that hold the scan tube just by taking off the the belt from spring loaded wheel at the end of the traveling shaft.then switch on the printer,the motor that drive the belt will turn after the motor has stop,off the machine fix back the belt,align the tube to match the white stripe that you can under the glass.hope this could help!.From keanfatt@......

Re: brother error code 46 by shottaz (12/26/09 9:29 PM) reply + / -
hi.my printer also says "Clean unable 4f"...pls help me.I don't know where to find the waste ink tank in my printer...the model is DCP130C..it doesn't have a numeric keypad and i cant enter into maintenance mode..pls help..

Re: brother error code 46 - DPC340CW by paulsprules (1/5/10 11:47 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

I have a DCP340-CW wirelessly connected to my network. I have had the same code 46 error and used the steps noted in this thread to reset the counter which seemed to work:

1. Use up arrow key to select 8, then press set, repeat for 0
Should now be in maintenance mode..
2. Press 'mono start' several times to go to 'Purge'. Finding the PURGE will show some numeric value which is I assume the number of times the printer had cleaned.
3. Press 'arrow up' key and scroll for number "2" then press "set". Do the same for numbers 7, 8 and 3. After you have entered this combination, the purge numeric value will be reseted to 00000.
4. Use up arrow key to select 9, then press set, repeat for 9 again. This takes printer out of maintenance mode.

However the printer no longer shows the wireless icon on the display panel and my router cannot see it. When I connect an Ethernet cable, it says "lan active" but I still cannot print to it.

I have set my router to broadcast the SSID and removed access restrictions to specific MAC addresses in an attempt to reconnect but no success.

Interestingly the MAC address is seen by the router when the cable is connected but this is a different MAC address to that for wireless connection (which is still listed in my MAC address list on the router for use when MAC restrictions are in place).

Any help to reconnect would be appreciated, it seems that the rest process has also removed WLAN capability? Help!!

Re: brother error code 46 by dbacon (1/5/10 1:48 PM) reply + / -
SUBJECT: Unable to access the printer: (paulsprules)

If it is like my MFC440CN, I fought it for 2 days.

I deleted everything about printers in my computer, in control panel, printers and faxes, and everywhere else (forgot all the spots) then I reloaded the Brother disc, all fine now.

I tried this earlier without removing every reference to printers, and it could connect with the remote setup, but would forget it was there for printing to it. Be sure to remove everything concerning the printer before reloading the Brother disc.

Good luck

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (1/6/10 8:09 AM) reply + / -
My MFC-3240c locked up with error 46. Cleaning out the waste ink tank and resetting the purge count alone did not fix it, but subsequently resetting other counters (INK_CH BK, JAM, PUGKIND_ 1, WIPE, FLUSH, and MACHINE ERR_1) to 00 (in the same manner as PURGE) has it working again. If I had to do it over, I would try just resetting PURGE, PUGKIND_ 1, FLUSH, and MACHINE ERR_1.

Hope this helps someone.

Re: brother error code 46 by paulsprules (1/7/10 2:46 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your suggestions. I discovered that the printer had been reset to wired lan rather than wireless during the code 46 fix, once this had been corrected it worked fine.

Re: brother error code 46 by dbacon (1/7/10 5:42 AM) reply + / -
Also I had to setup the Windows firewall as discussed in the User's Manual, Network Software section. ONLY they gave the port number in error. The way I discovered it was by setting up a log file to record rejected attempts to get through the firewall. Once I fixed this, I could "scan to file", right into the computer. There are actually two ports, the other is for the FAX to send info to your computer, I haven't used that yet.

Here are the notes I stored in a file for "Reformatting and rebuilding after a crash":

Note; the CCC user manual has a mistake, it says port 54295, when it should be 54925. Setting up the firewall log report found this.
"Start", "Control Panel", 2x click "Windows Firewall", "Advanced", Under Security Logging click "Settings", Click "Log dropped packets"
Then you will see the address of the log file, go there and drag a shortcut to the desktop for ease of use (Before you let go of the left mouse button add "shift" or "control" or something... get a "+", then let go of the left mouse button, and you will make a shortcut.)

Sorry, I always forget what key you add when dragging, I think it differs sometimes...

Re: brother error code 46 by littleminxlh (1/26/10 1:01 PM) reply + / -
hi

i have done everything as above and it still says it's unable to clean etc, can someone help me please?

i'm sad that my DCP-110C wont work.

Re: brother error code 46 by dbacon (1/26/10 4:31 PM) reply+1 + / -
Did you see this?

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com

I don't know your printer, but there is a lot of info that comes up by searching your model number.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (2/1/10 9:04 AM) reply + / -
Tried the proceedure that you set out in your message 3 times, sorry to say it didn't work not even with a restart. Brother UK have quoted £60 to repair. Would appreciate any further suggestions. Thanks

Re: brother error code 46 by dbacon (2/1/10 10:56 AM) reply + / -
I suggest you look for "MFC Refurbushed" I have found and bought 5 over the last year, for $25 US to $50 US. Got two MFC 240c's, one I gave to my Daughter, the other I ruined with wrong ink. Bought 2 MFC 440cn, one for my Son, one for me, and found a MFC 5460 (I think that was the number) for my Son-In-Law.

That would be about half the price to reset yours.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (2/4/10 2:26 AM) reply + / -
Dude you are a legend, my household can print again, my life is good. Thankyou!

Re: brother error code 46 by dbacon (2/4/10 3:08 AM) reply + / -
What did you finally do?

Re: brother error code 46 by diddydi (2/6/10 6:34 AM) reply+1 + / -
Hi folks, just found this site and hope someone can help. I have a Brother DCP350C which is displaying 'unable to clean 46'.
I have a new ink absorber pad as sugested by Brother but have no idea where it goes (I thought it might have come with instructions, but didn't). Do I also have to reset the purge counter as in other models? If so is there a specific code for this model? I am a newbie to home repairs but would be grateful for someones help.

Re: brother error code 46 by Oznog (2/15/10 11:16 AM) reply + / -
Just want to say thanks to everyone above.... was about to buy a new printer, (only had 555 copies done on my Brother DCP 340CW), and was getting "Unable to Clean error"... Pressing "Set" "Mono Start", "Set" again, and then using "Mono Start" to scroll the menu to Maintenance 80, then "Set", then Mono Start to the Purge page, (which said 6435).... then use arrow and set to enter 2783.... all ok now... Thanks again everyone, saved me a few quid :)

Re: brother error code 46 by dbacon (2/15/10 11:54 AM) reply + / -
Great, now you know how much people appreciate when you can help them with something you know...
I appreciate hearing when a problem is fixed, so I thank you.

Re: brother error code 46 mfc 465 cn by franki 07 (3/7/10 3:55 PM) reply + / -
please help

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by franki 07 (3/8/10 12:57 AM) reply + / -
thanks pal followed your instructions worked well i did replace the sponges with fillter wool and reset printer and drivers. once again thankyou

Re: brother error code 46 by stan_scorpio74 (edited 3/12/10 10:57 AM) reply + / -
This is for those whom just resetting the purge counter did not work.

First thanks to all for posting in this forum and keeping things updated. I had a Brother MFC 420CN with similar issue: error 46, when I first reset the purge counter to 0000, It still did not work,I got unable to init. and Error 46.

So I went ahead and did what MatthewL did, I reset all the counters to original, Of course I did not reset the USB, HD and LAN and INK counters, but all the others to 0000 and then did exit and 99. AND IT WORKED.

So thanks to Anonymous for starting it and Matthew and all others for their inputs.

Re: brother error code 46 by shawali99 (3/29/10 11:03 AM) reply + / -
Thanks a WHOLE bunch to trickydicky. You saved my day!!!

Shaw

Re: brother error code 46 by wallacengrommet (4/1/10 8:02 AM) reply + / -
This did not work on my DCP-110C

checked no foreign objects
Reset purge & flush counters
cleaned out waste ink absorber
checked printhead was sliding freely
unplugged it for half hour

no error code - just states "unable to clean"

Looking like its destined for the wheely bin !

Re: Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/11/10 8:05 PM) reply + / -
UNABLE TO CLEAN 46

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/12/10 12:19 AM) reply + / -
Wow...this is superb guide and solution! I've called to Brother Service centre in Malaysia, they said "unable to clean 46" error should be problem wiht ink absorber, ask me to send to nearest service centre, very troublesm.

So, I try to get helps online and found this site. My model is DCP560-CN and follow the steps:

Press the Menu/Set and Black(mono) Start keys. Next press the “up arrow” key four times to enter the maintenance mode).

2) Press the "up & down arrow" until you see "8", press ok, then press again "up & down arrow" until you see "0" in the initial stage of the maintenance mode to call up the machine's log information list (function code 80).

3) Press the Black (mono)Start key several times to scroll through the log information list to reach the word "purge".

4) Press the "up & down arrow" and "ok" to key in 2, 7, 8, and 3, then the purge count reset to zero.

5) Press the Stop/Exit key to return to the initial stage of the maintenance mode. It showed "machine error 46"

6) Press the "up & down arrow" key to get "9", then press "ok", repeat for twice and the printer return to the standby state.

7) done and work prefectly as usual.

Good luck.

Jess

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/22/10 6:34 AM) reply + / -
I have the mfc620 cn and experienced error 46; when I followed the instructions for resetting the purge center, I still got the error message but when I reset the purge counter & every other item there with 2783 my printer began to function again. I did have to change the ink cartridges again, however, to get my documents to print.

Thanks for the instructions; you will get so much more detailed help from these forums than Brothers who will refer you to service centers that charge between $45-88 dollars an hour labor depending upon your state. I saved bundles just researching these comments.

Thanks again!!!

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (4/22/10 6:41 AM) reply + / -
Don't give up just yet. I worked on mine yesterday for literally hours, and after resetting not only the purge counters but resetting all the counters back to zero my printer was revived just this morning. I also had to change the ink cartridges again for it to actually print but **this will work***.

Be certain to research specfically your model number, there is a soltuion to save the day, so try just a little bit longer; you will save yourself hundreds!

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by AlexanderHine (4/28/10 10:55 AM) reply + / -
DCP-340CW owners. Oznog's advice is the operation you want, by scrolling to the purge info and entering the code 2783.

Re: Re: Re: brother error code 46 (for DCP115 Reset) by spidermurph (5/5/10 5:49 AM) reply + / -
This fixed my DCP-115C Thank you very much.

Re: Re: Re: Re: brother error code 46 (for DCP115 Reset) by Anonymous (5/5/10 6:50 AM) reply + / -
Glad it worked out; there's always a solution to every problem!

Re: brother error code 46 by Anonymous (6/4/10 2:14 PM) reply + / -
Hi, i have the same error code on my printer it is the Ink Absorber pad that is full, the only problem is that i have not been able to track the part down yet, will let you know when i do. I hope this helps.

Re: brother error code 46 by trishbits (6/4/10 4:53 PM) reply + / -
I have a dcp-110c how do you reset the counter???

Re: brother error code 46 by DirtyHands (6/30/10 4:47 AM) reply + / -
Lots of great info here, thank you everyone

Especially big thanks for the tip on the latex glove, pity I read it AFTER I'd got my hands covered in ink :)

http://www.maden.com.au/2010/06/printer-fixing-outlaw/

3 meetings tomorrow, I'll be explaining all day

Re: brother error code 46 by msohnius (6/30/10 5:27 AM) reply + / -
Hi again,

I'd like to take the opportunity once again to plug the services of "fixyourownprinter.com". Not only did this particular thread you are reading help me sort out my Brother, but, as mentioned above, their services helped me rescue a very old Laserwriter many years ago. All it needed was a "kit", sold for some silly low price by these wonderful people, that contained a few rubber bits and rollers, plus an invaluable video tape with instructions (yes, it was THAT long ago, all on VHS!). This was shipped across the Atlantic to these shores, and after setting up my printer in front of the TV, I could fix it, and it's been working ever since. (Born in 1992, that Apple Laserwriter Pro 600 is about to graduate from High School!)

Keep it up, folks!

M.

Re: brother error code 46 by hapus (7/10/10 9:21 AM) reply + / -
I have a MFC-235C which had the 46 error code. I followed the instructions for resetting the purge but was unable to use the 2783 code. I held down the ok button whilst pressing 2783 and the purge numbers reset to 0000. I then turned the printer off before turning back on and the error message was GONE! yippie

Re: brother error code UNABLE TO CLEAN mfc-215C by gripsfive (7/19/10 8:51 AM) reply + / -
AS A SPECIAL DEAL I PURCHASED TWO OF THESE MACHINES. WONDERED WHY BOTH GAVE UP AROUND THE SAME TIME! NOW I REALISE THIS COMPANY IS CONNING ITS CUSTOMERS. NOT A FORWARD-LOOKING POLICY IN THIS DAY AND AGE BUT THERE YOU ARE. UNFORTUNATELY NONE OF THE SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS HAS WORKED WITH THE MFC-215C's I HAVE SO IF ANYONE IS STILL INTERESTED I SHOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR HELP. IF NOT IT'S UP THE TIP WITH THESE TWO MACHINES AND ANYTHING WITH BROTHER ON IT I SHALL STEER WELL CLEAR OF IN THE FUTURE.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by happy printer (8/3/10 2:34 PM) reply + / -
have just used your on line instructions on how to remove code 46 worked perfect the first time. great job thanks

Re: brother error code 46 by markn15 (8/18/10 3:36 PM) reply + / -
I'd like to get rid of this code on my brother MFC-440CN printer can anybody help me please!!

Re: brother error code 46 by Brianandshumba (8/30/10 12:02 AM) reply + / -
I have a Brother DPC-130C which shows the Clean Unable 46 code. I have cleaned the small sponge square but cannot locate the reservoir for emptying/cleaning which previous messages advise. Can someone tell me how to find/remove it before I chuck the printer into the bin? Many thanks in advance!

Re: brother error code 46 by stephen wyn (9/6/10 2:05 AM) reply + / -
I have a mpc 235c with this error message. Any one out there managed to sort this out on this machine? and if so what steps?

Re: brother error code 46 by marrey (9/15/10 8:46 PM) reply + / -
Wow fantastic, me so happy. my brother mfc215-c is going now. I almost gave up. I found it worked after i tried various suggestions from this site.
what worked for me was pressing the menu/set key then mono start key then menu/set key again, it didn't work so did a couple more times pressing each key firmly and then it worked. Each time it didn't work i unplugged and replugged.

then '50 ok' came up, and i had no idea what that was... not sure if i pushed menu/set key again or scrolled, i did something and then was able to scroll through heaps of stuff untill i came to 'purge 6400'.

then i did what is stated to do from another post

when i pressed the 9 key twice, i waited but nothing happened it just displayed 99, so i pressed set, nothing, so i unplugged and replugged and then it stated 'cleaning'. To think I would had to have forked out loads of money to get someone else to do this lol. Thanks to everyones suggestions.

Re: brother error code 46 by Anon-1215 (9/16/10 2:21 PM) reply + / -
Congratulations to trickydicky!

I've been searching the internet for agggges on this problem, found trickydicky solution and it saved me buying a new printer. So thank you trickydicky! God bless!

Printer Model: MFC-215C

The non-fax guide worked for me:) Brilliant!

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Hippo (9/18/10 9:53 PM) reply + / -
Hey, i've got a brother mfc235c thats showing ' clean unable 46' . I've tried the 2864 method but it isn't working.. Any ideas?

Re: brother error code 46 by csanders3 (9/20/10 6:50 AM) reply + / -
TryPress the Menu/Set and Black(mono) Start keys. Next press the “up arrow” key four times to enter the maintenance mode).

2) Press the "up & down arrow" until you see "8", press ok, then press again "up & down arrow" until you see "0" in the initial stage of the maintenance mode to call up the machine's log information list (function code 80).

3) Press the Black (mono)Start key several times to scroll through the log information list to reach the word "purge".

4) Press the "up & down arrow" and "ok" to key in 2, 7, 8, and 3, then the purge count reset to zero.

5) Press the Stop/Exit key to return to the initial stage of the maintenance mode. It showed "machine error 46"

6) Press the "up & down arrow" key to get "9", then press "ok", repeat for twice and the printer return to the standby state.

Good luck.

Re: brother error code 46 by csanders3 (9/20/10 6:50 AM) reply + / -
TryPress the Menu/Set and Black(mono) Start keys. Next press the “up arrow” key four times to enter the maintenance mode).

Good luck.

Re: brother error code 46 by ks-fun (10/10/10 7:26 AM) reply + / -
hi!folks I have problem of my DCP130 after I had solve error 46 that reset the purge counter,I notice that the printer 4 colours print are not balance which I find that yellow is much less than the others.I think that I might had alter the other setting during the reset process.can someone help how to reset to default.

Re: brother error code 46 by neto (10/14/10 3:46 PM) reply + / -
essa porra so anda dando esse codgo

Re: brother error code 46 by skenny (10/22/10 10:48 AM) reply + / -
Hello i am new to this site and i hope you can help i have a brother DCP-350C and it has gone into self destruct mode by putting up the message unable to clean 46 i have read the messages on this site and can see that their is a inherent falt with brother printers but i dont think it is a fault i think it is a con i have tried all of the fixes and none work it is not fax enabled thanks in appreciation

Regards Skenny

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by chezby (11/4/10 12:10 AM) reply + / -
Yahoo thank you stephen this was the one that worked for me ... with all the other posts, I couldn't even reach the mainentance mode ... but I realise you also stood on their shoulders so thanks everyone who posted

cheers
Chezby

Re: brother error code 46 by El Negro (11/12/10 12:45 PM) reply + / -
thanks for everything!!!!!!!!
gracias... parientes
si no le entienden en ingles yo les digo en español
FIERROOO!!!!!!

Thanks Gringos for your help......

Re: brother error code 46 by guybagnall (12/11/10 2:59 AM) reply + / -
BROTHER DCP 120c reset code:
as a little thank you for the brilliant help from this thread - a small modification to some earlier posts:

the proper reset code sequence to reset DCP printers without numeric keypad should be as follows:

1. press buttons Set, Menu, Mono Start one by one, followed by up arrow key four times. this should all be done as short a time as possible, around 3 seconds.

2. enter maintenance mode 80 by pressing the up/down arrow key and set key to select numbers 8 then 0

3. Press the Mono Start key several times to scroll through the log information list to reach the purge counter. The purge counter is the 25th item in the list.

4. enter 2, 7, 8 and 3 using arrow/set keys (enter each) to reset the counter

6. enter 9,9 to exit maintenance mode

Thanks to everyone who participated, especially those who provided the expert advice!

Re: brother error code 46 by RPalmer (2/21/11 3:07 PM) reply + / -
I have a MFC 240C and the error 46 Wiith fax keyboard...I've tried to follow the best in struciions here but find the machine doesn't perform as is suggested. I cant seem to get the function
set properly (explain please) even to get started. pressng menue
does not show the word ...set..(or is that the ok button? Then black start.
The up button is useless untill I get this part right it seems.
Thinking of buying a new MFCJ265c for 65 bucks rather than fighting this one. It's worth fixing if I can find the time.

Re: brother error code 46 by msohnius (2/22/11 1:20 AM) reply + / -
If you read this thread you should really have come to the conclusion that there are better things for your $65 to buy than ANYTHING that Brother imposes on this unsuspecting world.

I'd like to paraphrase Johnny Cash: "buy an HP, an Epson, a Xerox, a Samsung, a Dell -- ANYTHING BUT BROTHER!!!"

Re: brother error code 46 by dbacon (2/22/11 5:44 AM) reply + / -
I have had two Brother printers "MFC" style, and they have worked flawlessly, except I clogged the first one up with pigment ink, when it should have been dye ink.

I presently use a "CIS" attachment and never have a bubble or interruption to the ink flow, which may be a reason for such good performance.

My third one is on order now, same style but wide format.

Re: brother error code 46 by RPalmer (2/22/11 9:42 AM) reply + / -
Worthy advice, liked the size and features of this printer but
found out too late there is an 09 uodate to extend the life of. the sponge. give it a look at the Brother site.

Re: brother error code 46 by Ronald B. (2/23/11 1:57 AM) reply + / -
For DCP-350C, to access Maintenance Mode, just unplug your printer, then before plugging, hold onto Menu button then plug it to the power source. You can follow the above instructions (same with other Brother printer models) on resetting the purge level.

Re: brother error code 46 by m3th3last (3/2/11 11:03 AM) reply + / -
OMG... The post by anonyous really work i spend around an hour trying to understand how to open my printer as it did not show error code 46 but only said unable to print. Anyway i am shock to see my purge count for me DCP 110 at 6038 or something. Must have really printed alot haha. Thanks for the guide.

Would have really thought thats it haha.

Re: brother error code 46 by Kenneth John Nicholl (3/17/11 10:12 PM) reply + / -
Thank you tricky dicky my Brother MFC-260C printer absorbsion pad is not quite full but I got the error code 46, I contacted the Brother dealer and they wanted some where between $80 to $100 to fix the pad and re-program the printer, it only cost $120 when new so it was heading for the dump. I used the codes given to reset the counter and Hey Presto my printer now working good as new, I will replace the pad ASAP but thanks a bunch.
John

Re: brother error code 46 by jppaned (3/28/11 12:45 AM) reply + / -
please help me i got this DCP-195C model and it is unable to clean- error init 46. i tried the Resetting purge counter on: MFC-620CN / MFC-420CN / MFC-410CN / MFC-210C and FAX-2440C, and Solution 1&2 for (DCP-110C / DCP-115C / DCP-120C / DCP-130C) but it doesnt work. any advice how to reset DCP-195C. i will get my ass kick for unfinished printing i have on my table. PLEASE ADVICE

Re: brother error code 46 by jppaned (3/28/11 12:48 AM) reply + / -
please help me i got this DCP-195C model and it is unable to clean- error init 46. i tried the Resetting purge counter on: MFC-620CN / MFC-420CN / MFC-410CN / MFC-210C and FAX-2440C, and Solution 1&2 for (DCP-110C / DCP-115C / DCP-120C / DCP-130C) but it doesnt work. any advice how to reset DCP-195C. i will get my ass kick for unfinished printing i have on my table. PLEASE ADVICE

Re: brother error code 46 by Bill Watson (4/30/11 2:11 PM) reply + / -
The error code window on my DCP-110C provided no clue when it refused to print; it's blank. There was a weird noise, but now it just sits there with the red light flashing. It seems likely that the problem is the waste ink box, but I don't know how to get into it to clean. I work best with diagrams but instructions of any kind would be most appreciated.

Re: brother error code 46 by RPalmer (5/1/11 9:48 AM) reply + / -
I followed annonomus's instructions and now my MRC 240c works
just fine After I had bought a new one, Use the 240 for making manuals. Follow the instructions correctly should work for you.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by jokevin2 (edited 5/1/11 12:42 PM) reply + / -

Absorber Pad !!! i have just used the above instuctions supplied by Ronald B, to access the maintenance mode in conjuntion with the DCP 120 instructions supplied by, guybagnall and yes it worked fantastic. i have now reset the purge counter and away :-)
Yahoooo
thanks everyone for your determination and sharing this info to avoid taking printers to service dealers !!!!
thanks again
Kevin
South Wales
UK

Re: brother error code 46 by Bill Watson (5/1/11 1:02 PM) reply + / -
Following the instructions in this thread for the DCP-110C, it has devolved to a different problem: now the LED (!) flashes in synch with the Photo Capture button. Still no message in the display. Not sure what this means as the photo capture feature has never been used on this machine and there is no reference to this anywhere in the manual. All ideas welcome!

Re: brother error code 46 by spbutty (5/19/11 5:55 AM) reply + / -
Hi everyone - hope you can help me. I have a Brother MFC 660CN and never had a problem with it until now! It is showing error code 46 - any ideas how I can get this sorted without having to find an engineer please? many thanks

Re: brother error code 46 by geaf (6/1/11 10:50 AM) reply + / -
hi i have a brother dcp350c with the above error and cannot get it to work please help

Re: brother error code 46 by che' Nor (6/15/11 9:25 AM) reply + / -
hye everyone, please help me, my printer brother DCP -JI25 say that ink absorber nearfull and later say that ink absorber full. What should I do...Should I replace the pad.... thanks

Re: brother error code 46 by che'Nor (6/15/11 10:02 AM) reply + / -
hye everyone, I'm trying to follow your step... when I did to reset the counter,it was success but when i press Stop/Exit key to go to root of maintenance mode, it show again the warning ink absorber near full...please reply my message ASAP...please...

Re: brother error code 46 by WinKim (6/17/11 4:36 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

My fax Brother MFC215C said 'unable to clean', I've set the purge to 0 like the instructions I found here but now I get the message 'Problem to start up' (in Dutch "Opstartprobleem"). Machine error 46.

Can anybody help me please?

Re: brother error code 46 by 6T (6/21/11 12:19 PM) reply + / -
I used guybagnall's solution (BROTHER DCP 120c reset code) on my DCP-330C
However I have no set key so I did as follow:
1. Stop/Exit, Menu, Monostart and the up arrow key four times

2. Then select 8 pressing the up/dwon arrow key, ok, select 0 and then ok. Now you should be in amintenance mode 80.

3. Press the mono start key several times to find the purge counter. At 19 I found the page counter (2485) followed by PC (2329), ColorCopy(14), MonoCopy(140) and FAX(0). Purge (9607)

4. enter 2, 7, 8 and 3 using up/arrow and the ok key. I didn't notice any change on the display until I pressed ok for the last digit.

And now I could read error Can't clean 46 on the display.

6. enter 9,9 using up/arrow and the ok key to exit maintenance mode. The printer went dark!!!! Ah Rebooting.... ;)

Now, the error is gone and I can print again.

Thank you all!!!

Re: brother error code 46 by maresme (6/24/11 3:25 AM) reply + / -
Hi WinKim, in an earlier post it says "Very important, once this procedure is complete, turn off printer for at least 10 seconds. then restart, otherwise you might have the same problem as me, still had the error code.". Hopefully switching the printer off and on again your error code disapears. It worked for me. If not, I would try repeating the full procedure, adding now the last "switch off/on" new step.
I can also add for general information that in an MFC-215C, only need to hit keys "Menu" and "*" in sequence to put the machine in maintenance mode.

brother dcp-195 cleaning unable 46 by webzap (6/28/11 5:53 PM) reply + / -
My printer DCP-195 shows 'cleaning unable 46' and it suggests to goto maintenance and trouble shooting chapter in the manual. Following instruction from the manual, printer still do not print and continues to show 'cleaning unable 46' code. Please help.

Thanks,
webzap

Re: brother error code 46 by WinKim (7/5/11 3:11 AM) reply + / -
Hi Maresme and others,

Thanks for your respons. I've tried to turn off the fax, but the error code remains the same. I've done the steps again (set purge to zero), turned off the fax... Restart after a minute... the same error.

It keeps saying "Opstartprobleem" ('Startproblem' or so in English).

Note: To go to maintenance on my fax I have to turn off fax, press Menu/Set and turn on fax (while pressing Menu/Set).

Re: brother error code 46 by WinKim (7/5/11 5:07 AM) reply + / -
Update:

I moved the ink head and noticed that there was a lot of wet ink under it. So I cleaned it with some paper. It's the sponge under the head that was full with ink. I followed these steps to move the ink head: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com

I 've set the fax in maintenance mode (see previous post) and set almost every item to zero (using code 2783). I closed the maintenance mode with 99.

Fax SEEMS to work again! There is no more error message! I'm waiting for the first fax to receive :-)

For the records: I have the Brother MFC215C(copy/fax/scan)

Re: brother error code 52 by Lloyd Gilliam (9/5/11 6:41 PM) reply + / -
I have a Brother MFC 440CN all in one my screen says ( Unable to print 52 ) can any one help??

Re: brother error code 46 by dbacon (9/5/11 8:06 PM) reply + / -
I found this by going to the site mentioned just before your post.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com

Re: Re: Re: brother error code 46 (for DCP115 Reset) by Libelula (9/24/11 12:37 AM) reply + / -
It worked, but if the step 1 doesnt work the combination below works for old printers.I mixed this advise with the one above.

Thank you

Re: Re: brother error code 46 mfc 465 cn by cotebaz (10/16/11 9:21 PM) reply + / -
I hope you still have your printer, I had the same problem a couple years ago... How do I enter to the Maintenance mode, right? I have the MFC-465CN

OK I finally found the solution just now:

Turn on your printer
When the wicked message appears "error 46 blah blah"
you clic the "Stop/Exit" red button
Click menu
click the 4 keys at the left side of your screen (Ink, Speed Dial, Redial/Pause, Hook) all at the same time, and quickly click the following in that order

then, follow the instructions given on the comment posted by trickydicky:

3) Press the Black Start* key several times to scroll through the log information list to reach the purge counter**. The purge counter is the 25th item in the list.

4) Press the 2, 7, 8, and 3 keys*** in this order to reset the purge count to zero.

5) Press the Stop/Exit key to return to the initial stage of the maintenance mode.****

6) Press the 9 key twice to return to the standby state. (click 99 to finish the procedure and wait a moment)

*black start = down arrow
**it says "purge" and a number
***this means you have to click those keys, not maintain them pressed
****nothing happened when I pressed this, still, continue

I don't know if it is my printer, but it wouldn't enter to maintenance mode without pressing those 4 keys... Now, I just have to press Menu->*2864, and it enters

Re: brother error code 46 mfc240c by ffrrggyy@GMAIL.COM (11/7/11 10:09 AM) reply + / -
The website referenced above has been changed and sends you to a different site. I am unable to find any graphics that show how to access the sponge on that site.

Does anyone know how I can get to the sponge for the Brother mfc240c?

Thank you.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by manbythesea (12/17/11 4:34 PM) reply + / -
Hi 6T, thanks a million for your instructions re error code 46. Like you, there is no 'set' key on my printer - a Brother DCP-350C, so I tried your instructions. Clear and precise, worked perfectly.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by manbythesea (12/17/11 4:36 PM) reply + / -
Hi 6T, thanks a million for your instructions re error code 46. Like you, there is no 'set' key on my printer - a Brother DCP-350C, so I tried your instructions. Clear and precise, worked perfectly.

Re: brother error code 50 by amms (1/5/12 6:43 PM) reply + / -
my printer overflow ink then LCD message Clean Unable 50...pls help me how to fix this problem..thnx

Re: brother error code 46 by newport (1/8/12 10:46 AM) reply + / -
Hi, i have 2 brother printers an MFC 620CN and a MFC 640CW. Both have worked brilliantly till now. Tried the helpful tips above to remove 'error 46' with no success. The machine shows 'head volt 04' or 'unable to init- see maintenance chapter and routine maintenance. Also i cannot seem to get as far as the 'purge count'. In maintenance mode - the no8 does not appear, after no6 it goes straight to no9. Can anybody help to save me from opening the whole unit up and cleaning it??

Re: brother error code 46 by 560-CN (1/10/12 1:01 PM) reply + / -
For the 560-CN I struggled to get into maintenance mode. With "Error code 46" showing I had to press the red Stop/Exit key, from there I could then press Menu then Mono and finally Up*4 to get into maintenance mode.

Once purged the machine started working (I had already cleaned what ink I could from under the print head, the sponge on the left of the unit and rubber strip on the right), and I performed a print head clean. It's now fit to go back to the local scout/guide/brownie/cub hut thanks to the advice provided here.

Re: Re: brother error code 46 by Questioner (2/26/12 7:40 PM) reply+1 + / -
In reading these instructions I'm not sure what it means when it says, '...and in order like push function than push *, than push 2. and on...'
If anyone can explain, it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: brother error code 46 by dbacon (2/26/12 8:58 PM) reply + / -
it means to push buttons.
and to push them in a certain order.
and then it gives an example of the order.
and the example is "function" first.
* next.
2 after that.
and (continue) on with the series given in Mike B's post at the beginning of this forum.

Re: brother error code 46 by Peter Perry (3/14/12 11:27 PM) reply + / -
my brother c130c printer has error 46 upon clean. I have seen some very good articals on the rememdy I presume my c130c is similar to other printers listed in your articals. my question is how to find and remove the cleaning box? and is the proceedure to purge the same as the other printers i dont have a keypad on the printer!thanks peter p

Re: brother error code 46 by SPJ (3/23/12 8:21 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I've got a MFC215C Brother which shows the error "unable to init"

Any ideas of what I can do?

Re: brother error code 46 by meda (4/5/12 7:33 PM) reply + / -
I have 420cn I change my cyan ink doing the self cleaning process I got a unable to clean message . now I have error 46 can someone help me

Re: Re: Re: brother error code 46 by tina1918 (9/13/12 4:49 AM) reply + / -
I've also got a troublesome Brother DCP115c as found on this site I have managed to reset a couple of times, but now its leaking ink and I don't know where to find the sponges or overflow tank any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: brother error code 46 by Els bels (9/14/12 7:39 AM) reply + / -
Hi there,

what a great website!! i was having trouble trying to fix error code 46 and i did not want to call an engineer out. after reading all the threads on here i managed to fix the problem!! i cant thank everybody enough! i could not scroll and just typed in the code which took me a while to work out. But overall, very pleased and would recommend anybody to read first before calling brother! thank you

Re: brother error code 46 (for DCP150c) by riyaz ahmed (9/27/12 11:05 AM) reply + / -
thank you sir,
i cant say how much you helped me by providing me this code. Hey brothers and sisters dont get it under estimate it it really works.

Re: brother error code 46 by trailboat (11/11/12 4:01 AM) reply + / -

As a self confessed computer duffer, i amazed myself that I have cleared the error code 46 on my DCP120C and got my printer up and running. Many thanks to Guy Bagnall and 6T for excellent instructions, and what a great website Fixyourown computor is !

many thanks to all

Trailboat

Re: brother error code 46 on DCP135C by JJ7 (12/11/12 12:48 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I have error code 'Clean Unable 46' the printer is a few years old now but was going really well until now! I have even brought a load of new inks (buy lots and get a much cheaper price), if I can't manage to clear the error and get the printer working again please could you tell me which Brother printer will take the same inks as the DCP 135c, I think the DCP 135c is now unavailable so I would like to replace it with something that will take the same inks so that I don't have to throw them away.

Thank you.

Re: brother error - Ink Absorber Full by Atul Kumar Saxena (12/27/12 6:51 AM) reply + / -
Dear Sir,
My Brother Printer is runing then error massage Ink Absorber Full.
Please solution give me.

Re: Re: Re: brother error code 46 mfc 465 cn by matrixwoman (12/27/12 8:51 PM) reply + / -
thanks very much! i just used this and it worked. thought i was going to have to take my machine in.

Re: brother error code F4 on DCP-330C by Bryan Johnson (1/9/13 3:15 PM) reply + / -
My Brother printer model DCP 330C has code F4 on the screen and it will not work while this code is showing. Can anyone help me solve this problem. I cantacted a service company and they wnated a deposit of NZ$44 before they would tell me what was wrong. The printer is worth less than NZ$50 so i decided to decline there offer because who knwos what they would have charged me in the end

Re: brother error code 46 by dfb1 (9/2/13 6:56 AM) reply + / -
what is "procedure rx te" that comes up after getting error code 46 and then doing menu/set and * 2 8 6 4

Re: brother error code 46 by rws (8/29/14 8:18 AM) reply + / -
on a MFC_685CW printer with error code 46.
how do I fix it?

Re: brother error code 46 by dianeg (10/1/14 5:24 AM) reply + / -
error 46 on brother MFC-495cw

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters